Speaker 1: Hey, beauties, It's Jamie Joe and Jesse Masud and welcome to Influence, a podcast dedicated to beauty, fashion and self.
Speaker 2: Love, turning your weakness into your uniqueness. Before we get started, we'd like to acknowledge the custodians of the land on which we record the gadical people of the urination.
Speaker 1: In today's episode, we are looking at Underayes.
Speaker 2: Now, this is a topic for me that his home because I've struggled my entire life with being insecure around my underreyes. So I'm excited to just dive into us.
Speaker 1: Did you get enough sleep today? I'm looking a little bit tired.
Speaker 2: Literally my entire life, through my childhood through high school, I would have teachers, teachers ask me if I'm okay because I have deep set, dark under eyes. It's hereditary, this is what I look like.
Speaker 1: It's also like the worst thing to hear when you're like completely fine, and Yemen asked, are you okay?
Speaker 2: You're like leave me alone. Yeah. So I've been through the works in terms of, you know, figuring out for.
Speaker 1: Myself what works for deep set.
Speaker 2: Dark underreyes, and I definitely have come to like a place where I'm happy with my makeup routine. In terms of skincare, there's things we can do, but you know, when it's hereditary, there's only so far you can go to, like to get rid of that discolor.
Speaker 1: That's just that's just the shape of your face.
Speaker 2: It is. This is like my skull, like that's just what my bone structure is completely.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're gorgeous, so thanks. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I guess in terms of let's talk a little bit about like confidence first, because you know, I had so many comments growing up that made me so so insecure about the way that I looked and the way that my underreyes were. But I do have to say Western features are so different to ethnic like ethnic features, especially Middle Eastern features and South Asian features. So it's very normal in Lebanon, and people are used to seeing women with you know, pigmentation around their eyes, and it's actually beautiful and really enhances a lot of people's features. In my opinion, especially I think it looks beautiful like when South Asian women have that discoloration.
Speaker 1: It's just part of the show exactly. So I guess in terms of what types of problematic underayes there are, let's just go through them.
Speaker 2: So we've got creasy under eyes. So like maybe you have a lot of fine lines underneath your eyes or they're very dry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dry under eyes, like pigmentation, like color.
Speaker 2: Discoloration, discoloration, deep set under eyes, which is what I've got. So like that's when you kind of have that hollow underneath your eyes and it comes from your nose outwards and it's just literally your face shape your face.
Speaker 1: And sometimes it's puffiness, like when you wake up in the morning, you've got like puffy eyes. Yep.
Speaker 2: So there's a whole range of kind of different insecurities you could have and problems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like everyone at least has dealt with one before.
Speaker 2: Definitely, And I think, well, let's just talk about what not to do first. Let's get that out of the way, because I've made some funny, funny mistakes that make it look so much worse. So if you have pigmentation, you really need to stay away from using any sort of light concealer. There are so many trends from big beauty guru gurus and influences with perfect beautiful smooth underiye baby, where they're using like these really light colors to create that beautiful, highlighted, full glam. Look, this does not look good every day, especially if you have discoloration, because what it does is it actually is very ashy. It makes you underries look gray or purple, and it like it.
Speaker 1: Just brings up the wrong colors.
Speaker 2: It does, and it makes you look even more sick than you already are. So I really would urge you to stay away from super Life thinking that that's going to be the solution. It's really not. It just creates more just like the wrong tone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trying to add a band aid layer on top of that, you're not fixing the solution it makes.
Speaker 2: That's so, so so true. So I guess in terms of make up products, there are definitely a few things you can do and color correcting and color theory is definitely a big part of that in my opinion, because once you kind of understand what type of tone if your you know, main problem is pigment, if you're if your main problem is pigmentation, you kind of have to understand what type of tone you have exactly, is it purple, is it red, is it blue?
Speaker 1: And then that's going to counteract in what type of color correct you're used. That's exactly right.
Speaker 2: So for me, I kind of have more what would you say, it's like more blueish. I yeah, definitely have more a purplely blue kind of tone underneath my eyes. And in summer it kind of really disappears because I do get quite tan, but I really notice it most in winter. It's like you wake up and I call it. This is what I call my underreyes, the.
Speaker 1: Depths of despair, the depths of despair.
Speaker 2: Like I literally that, because when I wake up, I'm like, oh my goodness, it looks I look ill, like I look unwell under there.
Speaker 1: I hate the nest if talk as well. I'm like, Jamie, shut up, you guys, actually shut up. Like your skin's like baby smooth, like i'd kill tab your skinlash So true.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess that's just, you know, one of those things for myself that I'm continuing to grow through. But I definitely struggle.
Speaker 1: It's just a little long way I do, but I do struggle to.
Speaker 2: Leave the house without concealert. I'm not gonna lie, Okay, So this is what I would do In terms of color correcting. There are a few really great ones on the market, but I would say, you want to stay away from anything too thick, and that plays into if you have you know, textured under rice. Again, you think that using these thick products that are really full coverage are going to kind of combat the issue. It's not going to do that all.
Speaker 1: It's going to do enhandsome.
Speaker 2: It does it. It makes it look even more creepy.
Speaker 1: This settles into the fine lines and becomes crusty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you want to kind of use products that are thin and they're light weight and effected exactly yet effective. So let's kind of talk about color and what I have figured out really really works well for me. I feel like Jesse herself, you don't really have just follow you as much.
Speaker 1: It just follows to Jamie Dilles. He's like, this works me. I'm like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't say you have as deep set eyes as men.
Speaker 1: They're still there.
Speaker 2: It's still there, you know, depending on where you are at in the unis romester. Yeah. So I have kind of to go to Underwrye brighteners that I use for different occasions on an everyday basis. I love the Rare Beauty Positive Light eyebrightener. This is such a good product because it's very very lightweight, and it's beautifully reflective, so it's very thin, yet it adds a lot of light to that deep set area. And I actually don't put this directly tight underneath my eyes. I like to focus it underneath the deep set area because it kind of brings it forward and it draws the attention to that place a little bit.
Speaker 1: More, exactly like the placements super important place. And you use this before concealer, Well no.
Speaker 2: Not actually uses after concealer, but I just wanted to preface like the two different categories. So we've got correctors and then we've got correct a slash brighteners, and then we've got concealers.
Speaker 1: So I've been using this before.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that's fine. I don't think it's I don't think that the auto matters as much, but I do think that this product by itself is even really beautiful for a no makeup day. But what I wanted to say is if you have puffy under eyes, this is great because the want applicator is actually metal, and it's a metal ball, So when you are you know, dragging that kind of underneath the eye, a fair beautiful cooling effect and it's got that depuffing element to it as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it's made for that reason, which is great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's not a lot of kind of concealers on the market that do that. I would say, they've got I creams, you know, I creams that have got that metal and it feels so good. The beautiful one of them is the Landcomb Genefick Eye Serum.
Speaker 1: So good.
Speaker 2: Oh, that is such a beautiful product. I love that. Yeah, I love that to kind of prime and prep the under eyes. But for a brightener, the rare beauty one.
Speaker 1: Is so beautiful, and I wouldn't say it's overly expensive.
Speaker 2: I've been using this for around well since almost December last year. Yeah, it is forty six dollars from Mecca and it's beautiful. I use this every day. This is kind of one of those.
Speaker 1: Concealing products for under the eyes that I almost do not leave the house without. That's almost drug store price.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean exactly when you're looking at good prices these days. It's really good. It's such a beautiful product. So that's kind of one that you can use to enhance and add some light underneath the eyes, and that gives that depoffing element to it as well. Do you know anything about this smash Box Becker under Eyebrightener.
Speaker 1: No, I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 2: Okay, well I love this product, so if you don't know. Becker was a beautiful brand that kind of hit the market in around twenty fifteen and was really really popular. But unfortunately they did kind of close down just because I don't know what.
Speaker 1: But in Australia they closed down.
Speaker 2: No, just everywhere, no Becker.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember Becker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Becker.
Speaker 1: They were a massive brand and they had some really iconic products, but they actually remember them being like highlighters, highlightlighters.
Speaker 2: So what they did was they actually shut down their brand. However, they kept two iconic products and smash Box picked them up so that they are now they're called smash Box times Becker because they were just so iconic that people literally cannot live without them.
Speaker 1: That makes it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so smash Box all did us a favor by you know, yeah, literally, thank you so much. So this Becker under eyebrightener and correct is a beautiful color corrector is it.
Speaker 1: A pot Yeah, it's a little Potkaream.
Speaker 2: Formula, So unlike Rere Beauty that's a liquid formula. This is a cream and they've got a few different shades. They've got light, medium, and dark, so that is going to be you know, you picking the right shade for your skin tone and for the under the pit and under the eye. I really like the medium color which is more of a peach and.
Speaker 1: This is so great because that counteracts the purple.
Speaker 2: That's right. It really corrects and you know, the color theory kind of equal, like they cancel each other out there you go. So what I suggest with this product, because it is thicker and it's a cream on the cream like it's on the thicker side, you want to use a very light hand. You don't want to over apply this product because that's when that creepiness and thickness increasing is going to happen. All you need to do is just with your ring finger is just really dab a small amount all the way underneath the eye and those problematic.
Speaker 1: Areas before after concealer.
Speaker 2: Before so you've you know, you've primed the face, you haven't put any foundation underneath your eyes, You've put your I cream on, and now you're going to tap in that color corrector to cancel out the pigment. You're not adding necessarily coverage. You're adding just pigment, yeah, just that element of color correction, and then you go.
Speaker 1: In with your concealer and it should be like bat, it canceled out.
Speaker 2: That's correct. So what I liked when I like to use this is for special events, red carpets, when I know I'm going to be photographed. This is a really really great product. But I don't use this every day at all. It's not something I use like the rare beauty product. So this is for special occasions, photo shoots, when you really want like full glam.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, it's fifty five dollars from Meccha. This lasts forever though, Yeah, because you're only using a really small amount exactly.
Speaker 2: It's just something that's like a really great staple in your kit. If you have problematic under eyes, I really highly recommend it.
Speaker 1: I just want to pick up on a note where you said, like I cream, then this some times where you might be going wrong with your concealer routine, is the product you're putting on before your makeup might be causing your concealer or your correcting thing to sort of ball off. Yeah, So if you're experiencing like balling off or flaking off with your concealer, or it's just not sitting right. Maybe try switching up your under a cream something thinner, yeah to something, or even don't put anything on before your makeup or under the eyes, because I find that it just like slides right off for me.
Speaker 2: I would say that that kind of plays into that like thickness under the eyes, because Okay, when I go on photo shoots, makeup artists really struggle to do my under eyes and they think that more product is going to help, but.
Speaker 1: It makes it look so much baking.
Speaker 2: So they'll put a serum under my eyes, and they'll put a really nice, thick, luxurious moisturizer under my eyes. Then they'll color correct, then they'll add concealer, then they'll powder, and this causes so much caking, slipping, sliding, and it does it does not look good. So that's what I was saying before, like you want to be sparing with the amount of products you're using. It's going to have such a better effect than really tacking everything on. This is although it seems good in theory, it just really does the opposite. So instead use small amounts of the right product to kind of achieve the look that you're going for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Now, like let's go into like concealers. Okay, So me and Jamie have tried so many different concealers, and I have been a fan favorite of the Mabeling Fit Me since I was like fourteen years old. I've used it for so long. It's affordable, it's sixteen dollars, and this product is just reliable, and it's really great for if you don't know where to start with concealer, this is a great product to start with. It's lightweight but like full coverage, and it's really buildable as well, and they have a really really great shade range. Because this product is affordable, you're able to use it every single day, and it's really good for like school, for UNI and if you don't want like a full on makeup look and you just want light coverage in the no makeup makeup look, which I love to achieve most days without wearing foundation. This one blend seemously into your normal skin as well, which is really beautiful.
Speaker 2: And it's kind of that perfect consistency of like the light weight, so it doesn't add that crazy crease.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't cause creasing, like I said, it just like blends into your normal skin and doesn't create any added texture.
Speaker 2: It's something that you can just always go back to and you know it's going to work well exactly. So I really love this product as well. I've used it for a really really long time, literally since we were young, because again, when you're you know, using conceala every single day, you do not want to be spending a lot of money, especially through high school. So it's a really really great product. Now I like to use a little bit more of an expensive concealer these days, and this is the Dire Forever Concealer. It is seventy four dollars, but it's my absolute favorite formula on the market. And in terms of color, I would really suggest not using something light, even though everyone tells you to use something that is your skin tone, because otherwise, again you're going to get ashy. So I like to use something that is actually fairly warm underneath the eyes, just for my skin color in particular. And I like this because it doesn't create like this dark difference yeh color on your face, which just it just draws the kind of wrong attention. So this particular concealer, I would say it's actually medium to full coverage. It is quite creamy, but I like only a little bit. I just apply a little bit in the center, so from the nose bridge outwards, and then I blend it out either with my fingers or with a you know, a dense crush brush. Yeah, because you just want to like keep that coverage in certain places, which is really really great to do with a dense brush. If you use a beauty blender, you're going to really shear everything out, which actually looks beautiful and helps to pick up any like creasing. But I really like to get my bang for my buck with this product, and the beauty blender sucks sucks it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so fair. You don't want to be like wasting your like expensive products exactly.
Speaker 2: But it's a really beautiful concealer. If that's something you can afford, and you you know that you have problematic under eyes, it is so good. It never creases under my eye. It lasts all day, and this is one I actually wear throughout my auditions as well, just because it's so reliable and create such like a seamless finish.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, beautiful.
Speaker 2: I guess just remember with your under eyes that everyone has different experiences. You know, there's all these little hacks you can do. If you have puffy under eyes, you can use cold spoons in the morning, you can use shah to kind of you know, get rid of that lymphatic drainage. That that's a really great option.
Speaker 1: Like there's so much that goes into underayes more than just covering it up with conceala and all that jazz. But we'd be speaking for an hour exactly, and we'll remember, drink a lot of water because water is really going to.
Speaker 2: Help with the underreyes. And I'm so bad at getting my water like intake in. But that's just like another little extra thing. We always say, drink your water, but we kind of forget to do it, so it does actually make a big difference in your underreyes. But those are some of our favorite tips to you know, have that seamless finish and combat any of those issues. But remember it's kind of something that you live with and that you have to come to terms with. So once I accepted that this is just my face, like let's just work with it, exactly, And I.
Speaker 1: Think that's like the message behind it is that like accept your natural beauty and then like learn how to enhance it in certain ways, but doesn't mean you don't love yourself. That's right the end of the day. So thank you so much for joining us today on Skinfluence. If you are interested in any of the products mentioned in today's episode, there are links available in the podcast description on your podcast app.
Speaker 2: If you love what you hear, leave us a rating and a.
Speaker 1: Review, And if you have any questions or want us to cover anything on the pod, reach out via our socials at jessemsuit.
Speaker 2: And at Jamie Joe or send us an email at Skinfluence at
Speaker 1: Novapodcast dot com dot You love you guys, See you next time.