Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Thursday April twenty three, twenty twenty six. Anthony Albinizi is sounding out energy companies and super funds about building a new refinery so we can make more of our own fuel here in Australia. It had cost up to ten billion dollars. That's an exclusive live now at the Australian dot Com dot AU. One hundred and sixty thousand people will be kicked off the National Disability Insurance Scheme in a crackdown the government says is essential to fix a chaotic free for all criminal magnet. But can Labor get this reform through Parliament? Where does it leave the coalition and how do we look after the most vulnerable while stopping the rot our. Political reporter Sarah Eisen is here in just a moment.
Speaker 2: Because Australians expect the NDIS to support people with the disability and their families and to continue to transform their lives in the way we've seen happen over the past thirteen years, not for it to be an atm for shanks and grifters, fraudsters and crooks Under this plan, the NDIS will grow every year. It will still be the largest social program in Australia outside the age pension, and the centerpiece of a most comprehensive suite of supports for people with a disability you'll find anywhere on the planet.
Speaker 1: Sarah Eison is a political reporter with The Australian Sarah. Health Minister Mark Butler calls this a reset to save the NDIS from criminals and bureaucratic bungling.
Speaker 2: Essentially, we can't afford for the NDIS to continue growing at its present rate, but far more importantly, we can't afford for the NDIS to fail. It will be unsustainable from a tax payer point of view, but much more important, it's community support. Social license is slipping away and we can't let that continue to happen.
Speaker 1: And it'll mean one hundred and sixty thousand people or participants as they're called, are kicked off. Who will they be?
Speaker 3: The people who are going to be kicked off will be from a range of different cohorts. We're not just talking about autistic kids like we have in the past. And the sorts of people being kicked off it will depend on their functionality. Essentially, if you were thinking of applying for the NBAS, you'll be assessed and your needs will be assessed. Do you have trouble with speech, do you have an intellectual disability? And what is it that you need? And then there'll be an assessment that essentially says, this is how much you're due to get through the scheme, or maybe not, maybe actually you're bet catered for outside of the scheme. And that rigorous tightening of eligibility through testing people's actual functionality is what's going to be the driver of essentially really tightening the number of people who are able to get onto the scheme and putting into practice what we've heard for years about its not being the only lifeboat in the ocean, of everyone flocking there for every single one of their needs, whether it's mild autism or any other kind of disability.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the government has referred to that NDIS review as the oasis in the desert effect that the NDIS is really the only game in town. But it was never supposed to be like that. There was supposed to be two other tiers of information and community awareness really and then of early intervention and education that were supposed to help, say, for example, children with a fairly mild sensory disorder or autism. Why has that not worked and why is the government now saying they need to do another review to design those two more mild tiers.
Speaker 3: Just on the review, Really, we had no idea what was coming on Wednesday. It was kept so tight no one was being told from states or disability advocates. So if you do this immediately with no kind of further review or including the community with you, the backlash would be huge. And so that's how we need this short and sharp review is the way that a lot of people in government are describing it. To get it right when it comes to different tiers. When the government created the NDIS there were of course heaps of community services that were funded by the states, health education and early intervention, and so what happened is that all pared back. Now, if you're the federal government, you're very angry about this, and you're talking about how the states gave up and let them handle everything. If you're a state government, you were talking about how well you actually also had to fund the NDAs you were giving money to a disability scheme. So of course that money is coming from somewhere else. But one design floor. I think that was really a big part of this huge floor is that to get the states on board in the first place, the Gillard government said we're going to cap your annual contributions to the NDAs at four percent. Now that's insane when you think about at its peak, the NDAs was growing at twenty two percent, and each state government their annual growth could not rise above four And so that's how we got a huge mismatch and funding. It's how states were pretty happy to let the NDIS fund everything because they're ttributions can only rise by so much. But at the same time, from the state government point of view, they see it as having funded quite a lot to the NDIS as well to that program, and that money has to come from somewhere, which is those tiers that disappeared after the scheme was created.
Speaker 1: Autistic kids are one of those flashpoints between the state and federal governments now because the federal government's big idea to help children who have mild autism was something called Thriving Kids. What is that supposed to be and why has it hit a roadblock?
Speaker 3: Thriving Kids was meant to be this small, almost pilot of what is this enormous reform now essentially a bunch of money funded by the states and the Commonwealth to bolster or prop up new supports that can really care for kids with malder to moderate autism under the age of nine. That might look like some programs in your early education, it might look like some different training for GPS. Really a way to make sure outside of the NBAS you can cater for those kids with malder autism. However, you need the son of every single state and territory. Every deal is different because every state's outlook on this is different. What they have is different, and there is a state that's holding out, which is Queen's that the liberal government, the Chris of fully government, who are seeing this as just the start of a major cost shifting exercise by the federal government. And unfortunately, I think today's announcement will only bolster both that argument and that fight. But also what is very much a fear of what they're seeing is the governments incrementally and today I guess it wouldn't see as incremental, but over a period of time really trying to put more back onto the state governments. The Commonwealth says that's fair enough, trying to revert it back to the way it was meant to be. The States see that as the Commonwealth trying to make them pick up a huge check with not a heap of clarity as to what it will look like and the impact of their budget bottom line. So no surprise, there is a bit of a fight between the Commonwealth and some particular state governments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the classic line you hear from the States is that the federal government is hopeless at administering things that were hopeless at robodebt, that were hopeless at pink bads that they make, can't administer huge sums of money, that that's the state's expertise.
Speaker 4: It goes on and on.
Speaker 1: Even people who stay on the ndis are going to see their services constrained.
Speaker 4: They're going to have to cut back.
Speaker 1: The government says average plans are now about thirty one thousand dollars and it wants to get them down to twenty six thousand. How will that actually happen.
Speaker 4: It'll happen through a huge range of things.
Speaker 3: If you look at the most expensive plans on the NDS, what are known as supported independent living plans, that means we've got a very acute disability and you're living in a specialized disabilitycommodation setting with services being provided to you twenty four hours a day.
Speaker 4: Those plans are worth four hundred and.
Speaker 3: Thirty thousand dollars a year on average, So there are plans closer to a million, and so they're reforming that whole sector not to necessarily cut back those services, but to make it less botique, to rest back market control, to say to one company that's providing seal, to say to them, we have one hundred people in this area that you need to cater for, and it sort of has to be at this rate or so on, as opposed to one person getting a custom boutique package and another person in the same suburb or street getting a whole other bowtique package. It just blows out and out and out. So it's even stuff like that sounds technical, you know, overhauling this for a commissioning model, but it's a really big deal that's going to save a lot of money. And on the smaller end of things, we're talking about how some things like community services, when it talks about getting out into the community, things that would have been funded by the NDS that are funded in terms of different trips or supports that that needs to come off being funded by this huge plan that needs to be bolsted on that level. And there has been a fund and ounce today that's really about trying to re enliven what was a community mark Butler even mentioned, you know, sporting clubs and so on.
Speaker 2: The current way the NDIS approaches social and community participation means that programs which once provided real opportunities for connection have been allowed to wither away. Where programs do exist, supported often by volunteers, they're often overwhelmed by NDIS providers who drop their participants off without any notice. And while many support workers provide valuable supports, too many participants tell us their support workers are spending more time on their phones than engaging with them and providing support.
Speaker 3: The NDAs does cater for making sure you have a strong community connection, but there's a lot of taxpayer dollars being spent, so where maybe that could be catered for elsewhere is another thing that's going to reduce that huge size of the plan budget for those plans that are on the smaller end, and then as I said, small technical stuff as well for the plans on the much much bigger.
Speaker 1: End coming up. Everyone wanted the NDIS to work, So who's to blame for the money? Think it's become This is a potemic labor program, just like Medicare. They're very proud of it, and I guess they're kind of embarrassed now that it's turned out to be such a ballooningly expensive thing. So who's to blame? The scheme was started by Prime Minister Julia Gillard and her beloved Minister Jenny Macklin. Tony Abbott as opposition leader gave them bipartisan support. So do we blame the politicians or do we blame the bureaucrats? Or do we blame the experts who they consulted to design this scheme? How can the guardrails have been so poor that criminals and frauds and just vast overcharging and goal plating has been allowed to happen.
Speaker 3: I think the refrain that's used from governments to advocates to providers is this scheme it's been an airplane that you're trying.
Speaker 4: To build as it's taking off today.
Speaker 3: Mark Butler did admit that there have been flaws from the scheme from its inception. I mentioned one of them earlier regarding that cap on state's growth to the scheme each year in terms of the funding, and that was a great way to get them in, but then it led to.
Speaker 4: All of these huge problems.
Speaker 3: The other thing was this really central principle to the NDAs, which is called choice and control. Of course that's important, but then when you're saying we need to give a disabled show it on this scheme complete choice. They don't need to go to a registered provider if they don't want to. It can be a sole trader and a little boutique even if that doesn't have a heap of oversight, or they can have this very custom plan and this very specific place. Because choice and control is paramount. Those things were built into this scheme and also a complete lack of oversight, because as Mark Butler said today, around ninety percent of the payments that are being made have completely no oversight or checking going in beforehand. Of course we've seen a heap of fraud clawed back. You've mentioned some of those issues with routing on this scheme, but they shouldn't be.
Speaker 4: Going out in the first place. Right.
Speaker 3: I heard an NDAs provider talking to me about having accidentally gotten too much money. He thought he was filling out the hours for transport costs and it was in kilometers, but almost immediately he got five times what he was trying to get. Sure in months that would go by, that would get clawed back. But it's that sort of like HAP has a way that's been built, some good intentions that have gone wrong. How you've got the states on board, the fact you've had advocates calling for this, You had people like Armfels say psychosocial disability needs to be on there, even though mental illness is much more episodic and it's about more recovery as opposed to other disabilities that are permanent and often get worse over time. So I think there's a lot of blame. I think we can put to a lot of different people. But it does come back in my mind to the trying to build a plane as it takes off and surprise, surprise, it's been followed by a lot of issues over the years.
Speaker 1: I can just imagine everyone who runs a business, you know, reeling in shock at the these basic things like knowing who your suppliers are, having digital payments so that you can trace them more stop them if they turn out to be fraudulent. I mean, these are very basic things about running anything, whether it's a plumbing business or a shop, or a giant corporation or a government, and it just goes to that State's point, doesn't it that the federal government is not good at running things? The government is going to have to get this through the Senate. Mark Butler says he's going to be trying to legislate this as soon as the.
Speaker 4: Budget is over.
Speaker 1: The government needs eleven votes in the Senate from either the Greens or the Cross benches to get anything through. The Greens are already out there saying that this is disgusting and it's fraud it's a terrible thing to do to disable people. Are they going to be able to get it through the Senate with.
Speaker 4: The Liberals help? Yeah? I think they will.
Speaker 3: The Liberals tried to do a lot of reform themselves, actually quite a lot of reform that's similar to now. You might remember when Minda Reynolds was an NDAs minister, she tried to do something called independent assessments, which Bill Shorten slayed her over. Funnily enough, that's what we're talking about right now, people being independently assessed with their functional needs, getting a plan based on that, but had all this backlash. And it's the same with age care. These are sectors that if a liberal conservative government a coalition were to make changes, an opposition labor government would attack them for it. Like that's how it's gone over time, And it is in the liberals interests regardless of maybe some of the detail of this, for the scheme to be brought into a much more sustainable footing, because as time has shown us, they couldn't do it. Only a labor government arguably could do this. So I do think they will get it through with the coalition support. The coalition will try to figure out ways they can get some skin off labor in this. I'm sure they'll point out the hypocrisy of independent assessments plenty. There'll also be a bit of liberal in fighting, as we've seen Melissa macintosho's in charge of the disability portfolio in the Liberals actually having a lot of concern about cuts, though today her language was much softer, So I think Angus Taylor has sat her down and said we're a liberal government and this is what we're doing. So it's not going to be easy it's going to have a heap of different people talking about hipocrisy, cuts, the way this has been designed, rush all kinds of things. But at the end of the day, the Coalition will act out of self interest in this and I would be very surprised, if not astounded, to see that party stand in the way of passing this with the Labor goverment.
Speaker 1: And then they'll all be claiming credit. So that's something to look forward to.
Speaker 4: Sarah Eyson, thank you very much, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Sarah Eison is a political reporter with The Australian. You can read all our expert reporting and analysis right now at the Australian dot com dot au