Speaker 1: Hi, I'm James and I'm a competitive eater. Let's hear from the expert.
Speaker 2: So today we have a professional eater, you know, something close to our heart.
Speaker 3: We love eating and this guy really loves eating. He's not just an eater.
Speaker 2: He is Australia's number one ranked competitive eater if you don't mind, and he joins us from Dallas, Texas in America, America.
Speaker 3: James Web, good morning.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, thanks for having me, so let.
Speaker 3: Me give on.
Speaker 4: So you're an Aussie, but you're in America.
Speaker 2: That's correct because everything's bigger in Texas, so you're only over there to do these competitive eating challenges.
Speaker 5: You you're technically making a career out of it.
Speaker 1: Competitive eating is my life.
Speaker 4: You're right, is a future for you. After reading that.
Speaker 5: Nobody's so lean. Look at him on facetim he's lean.
Speaker 1: No, I wear a baggy T shirt and bag you clothes to hide there belly has.
Speaker 4: One become a eating expert.
Speaker 1: Looked to be honest.
Speaker 6: This started off as a complete joke, just something for fun. But in America they find a way to turn everything into a sport. And like every other sport, it's a sport. We do sponsored events twenty times a year that my last three events have been on national TV.
Speaker 1: We compete on ESPN. So yeah, it's a sport.
Speaker 5: So and then how are you getting coin out of it? How are you making a living?
Speaker 1: So US dollars is pretty nice.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of prize money, a lot of sponsorships, endorsement deals. Obviously I create social media content in my days off. So yeah, I've got a pretty pretty good following. That kind of you know, gets me paid pretty well.
Speaker 7: And so you've got sponsors to eat, So who's sponsoring you?
Speaker 1: Well? Last year sports Bet sponsored me for the Nation contest.
Speaker 3: Of course, how can we go back to the start?
Speaker 2: When did you when, where did you figure out that you were a good or a big eater?
Speaker 6: Well, I guess if you want to really go back, I was a fat kid growing up. I've got a ethnic mother, a great chef, master master chef, brilliant cook. So I always grew up with food in abundance, and I probably had man boobs until I was about sixteen and then so like I always loved my food, always loved my food. And then being a semi professional soccer player, I was always a decent eater. Because like, obviously you're training like a maniacid eat And then when I found bodybuilding and really got into bodybuilding, food is life. You know, probably you obsess a little bit too much over food, but you know, with with like everything, food is fun and food was always my fun.
Speaker 1: I wasn't really into partying.
Speaker 6: I would be like to my missus, that's like, who's now my wife? Obviously it's like, let's go out for dinner, Like where we're gonna eat this weekend? Like I'll be researching like place to see right, And then to be honest, when I did this food challenge, that was her.
Speaker 1: That was completely her fault. She got me into this.
Speaker 5: What was the first one you did?
Speaker 1: So the Cartoon Hotel in Cesnok.
Speaker 6: Basically, my wife bribed me to go to the Hunter Valley for a weekend, right because I don't. She wanted to do the whole cheese wine tasting like cute boose day out, so to bribe me, she planned like a whole day trip of eating so I would be fat and happy before we got it to the wineries. Smart we stopped at the Cartoon Hotel for lunch and they had at the time, I didn't know this, but Australia's biggest burger challenge and no one had ever completed it, like ten years deep. I'm like five kilos of burger and one five hundred grams of wedges and five hundred grams of onionings.
Speaker 3: Oh my, that's a lot of food.
Speaker 5: That's big.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I'll do it.
Speaker 3: And you did it.
Speaker 7: Hey, James, have you ever been to Massive Wieners in Fitzroy? Sorry, well, there's a shop, there's a hot dog shop in Fitzroy here in Melbourne called Massive Wieners and you used to be able to. You had to eat a twenty five inch dog within five minutes and then they'd put your polaroid.
Speaker 3: On the wall as like no, sorry, have you.
Speaker 4: Done that one yet? The Massive Wieners Championship.
Speaker 1: I have not done that, but it seems like a challenge.
Speaker 3: On next time.
Speaker 4: I'm your home.
Speaker 2: So seven world records? What world records do you hold right now?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 1: Actually make that eight? I just broke one on the weekend.
Speaker 4: What's your latest record?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 6: I did twenty four seven ounce pulled pork sandwiches in ten minutes, Amy twenty four.
Speaker 4: I hate pulled pork.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you're no, no smoke meats, your don't taste it, run through the other ones.
Speaker 5: What was the other world records?
Speaker 6: Okay, so I've got fifty three Texas smoke sausages in minutes?
Speaker 4: How many?
Speaker 1: Fifty three and ten minutes?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 4: What else?
Speaker 1: I've got thirteen and a half pounds of chocolate fodge in.
Speaker 4: Eight minutes that I could get around it?
Speaker 3: Does dessert too?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, My other world records are three hundred and fifty six donut holes in eight minutes.
Speaker 4: You could get around that one.
Speaker 5: I could take you there, but you do the donuts.
Speaker 6: And then that's seventy original glazed donuts in eight minutes.
Speaker 1: Hang on seventy seven zero yeah, eight minutes. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So in America there's a brand called Bakemark. They're like super famous. They basically make all the donut mix for like everywhere that makes doughnuts, like distribute donut mixture.
Speaker 1: Right, So Bakemark. A Bakemark donut.
Speaker 6: Is four ounces, So four ounces is about one hundred and fifty gram so maybe double the size of a Christma Kreme donut.
Speaker 4: Give it right? So you're eating seventy donuts in eight minutes?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 4: Do you chew or did you shove it out?
Speaker 1: How do I answer this nicely? Now?
Speaker 6: Look to be honest, It's like you have to minimize chewing because the more you choose, the more time wasting. Right, You're kind of so you're using your teeth to break off the food like in your mouth. Like you get the food, like say it's a donut, you use your teeth to break it off, and then you use your tongue to like mash up, and then you're kind of swallowing as efficiently as possible.
Speaker 3: Hey, Jane, can you open your God give us a look at how big your mouth is. It's a big man.
Speaker 4: What's your proudest record?
Speaker 1: Oh? Look to be honest.
Speaker 6: So, I don't know if you guys know much about competitive eating, but the goat of competitive eating is Joey Chestnut.
Speaker 4: And what a cute name for such an aggressive Joey Chestnut Nut.
Speaker 6: Joey Chestnut is the goat all time, best ever competitive eater, and I beat him in a contest and I broke the world record of that two hundred and seventy. It was good, It was honestly, it was one of the highlights of our life to be honest, what was it? What was the record to two hundred and seventy eight Buffalo wings in twelve minutes?
Speaker 8: Oh sorry, hang on, I got a one hundred and seventy eight wings in twelve.
Speaker 7: Minutes, seventy eight by twelve twenty three a minute?
Speaker 2: That is, How does that impact on you? Like what helpens to your guts? And this is more a generic question about how your digestive system works.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're not all to vomit after that, like you are.
Speaker 1: Nothing can leave your body, nothing can leave your body back or front.
Speaker 4: For how long?
Speaker 6: Well, so after a contest, normally you're on stage for about fifteen or twenty minutes after a contest, you know, by the time they do presentations and whatever else?
Speaker 3: Right and truth fluid during the presentation of a warbling.
Speaker 7: I trust you, Like I could stand up for fifteen minutes after having seventy donuts or fifty three.
Speaker 6: So going back to going back to the sporting aspect on my on the weekend, I did two hours of media straight after my contest.
Speaker 1: I didn't even get to wipe my face. And what did you just using photos?
Speaker 4: What did you just down at that point?
Speaker 6: Twenty four pulled pork sanwiches, bloating Jesus, how are you so lean?
Speaker 3: How do you get rid of it?
Speaker 1: They personally thank you. I look too. To be honest, I'm not.
Speaker 6: I'm not saying I'm fat, but look if you saw me three years ago, I was shredded. I was four percent body fat. I was ripped from head to toe. Now I'm I like to call it fluffy. My wife calls it fluffy. To be honest, I spent a lot of time in the gym.
Speaker 1: I love the gym. I love to train. The truth is you're never going to outtrain this crazy lifestyle I live. So the fact is stameless plug. I'm sponsored by my mascle Chef.
Speaker 6: So when I come back to Australia after contest season, I diet hard.
Speaker 7: I trained seventeen of those. Even I'm angry after one of those in.
Speaker 6: My off season. It's it's more about getting back into shape too.
Speaker 1: Well. Truthfully, it's contest season now right.
Speaker 6: I got a contest every other weekend until September now, and last year this time last year, like after September October, I came back to Australia, I was thirds heavier. So I have to get back into shape for the next contest season, which starts in January.
Speaker 8: James, what's the one food that you you find it the hardest?
Speaker 5: To throw it down quickly?
Speaker 6: Oh? So, look, this month has been a tough one, to be honest. Look, the toughest food is the food you don't like. That's the easiest way to answer it. But in America they have foods Okay, last week I did the Boloney contest, right, So.
Speaker 1: Baloney is like think of like microwaved devon.
Speaker 6: The bottom of the barrel kind of stuff, smoke with some kind of weird sauce.
Speaker 1: I did eleven and a half, didn't win. I came second.
Speaker 3: James, how do you reckon? You'd go with vanilla slices?
Speaker 1: Sign me up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, sign me up. I have the biggest in the vanilla slices.
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 3: Yeah? What tips would you give for someone like you?
Speaker 4: Two can race?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not doing it. I've got idea.
Speaker 5: I'm not telling this.
Speaker 7: I'm going to no sugar, no, No, We're going to see how long it takes you to eight three?
Speaker 2: What advice do you have for Jason as he contemplates his vanilla slice eating competition, What a messy food.
Speaker 1: How big is the vanilla slice?
Speaker 4: That's that's not that's even big to get your go around.
Speaker 6: So I would recommend turning it on the side because if you just bite straight down like it's going to go everything.
Speaker 4: Don't even straight down.
Speaker 3: We'll keep talking to come on. Your time starts now?
Speaker 7: See how long it takes just one? Okay you ready, I'm going to be sick.
Speaker 1: You don't.
Speaker 4: Hang on to stop.
Speaker 7: Watch time starts now? James, what do you expect me?
Speaker 4: I reckon.
Speaker 2: It's quite horrific to You're got to push it down with his tongue, remember advice, and yeah, you doing wrong time?
Speaker 3: Do you know what, James, Jason's got a really small little mouth. Keep going comedy, keep going to.
Speaker 1: Give this amount of glass of water?
Speaker 7: Are you allowed to drink water? And you're eating contexts?
Speaker 1: You're allowed to drink anything that's non alcohol.
Speaker 3: It's good, isn't it? Big boy?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But what would you go for? Something smooth?
Speaker 6: So definitely just finish it, mate, I said for a sugar free cranberry juice most of the time, or sugar free.
Speaker 7: Power forty seconds and Jason's throwing the towel in. Oh you've got it all over your face. It's a messy food, the vanilla slast Ye. Hey James, now you said your mum's a good cook. Yes, what's his signature edition? How much of it would you just eat casually when you have dinner at mum's house.
Speaker 6: Oh that's look look coming from a Croatian household.
Speaker 1: When mama cooks, she cooks for a village.
Speaker 6: Yeah right, So, like, to be honest, we've never had a shortage of food.
Speaker 1: It's not about how much he needs to cook.
Speaker 7: You think like, would you eat if you're just going to family dinner? Are you eating a ridiculous amount? Or do you just eat a normal amount of food like everyone else at a normal dinner.
Speaker 6: I can I can be sensible. I can be like, look, whatever's on my plate. I can happily be cool with that and walk away and be cool.
Speaker 4: You're not get me wrong.
Speaker 1: I'm not like a gannet where I'm like, where's the food? You know? I can.
Speaker 6: I can control myself. I can be civilized that, you know, depending on the setting. However, the other side of it is like, okay, so my family you're actually small eaters, but so growing.
Speaker 1: Up always it's like my dad would finish his meal. Hey, James, finish this. My mom will be like, oh, you know, I don't really want the rest of my stake finished this.
Speaker 4: So I'm always a big eater.
Speaker 1: Garbage disposal man. Like I just get food handed to me.
Speaker 6: So when I'm at a family occasion, like saying my grandma's full, my brother's full, whatever, they kind of and my wife's worse at this, they just like slide.
Speaker 1: It in front of me. So I'm just like James, pown whatever's there.
Speaker 8: James, do you ever have a hooon on the old scissler buffet back in the day, You'd be good at it.
Speaker 5: You would have been great.
Speaker 1: In America, you can go to this place called Golden Corral. It costs you twelve dollars, unlimited soda and unlimited food. It is like Silo, and.
Speaker 5: They would hate you when they see you coming.
Speaker 1: Finally enough they don't they don't mind.
Speaker 6: They think it's hilarious because don't forget, in America, owners aren't around.
Speaker 1: They're all workers, right, they think it's hilarious.
Speaker 6: Guys like putting away plates right, and the thing is as well, I'm not about wastage. If I take food, I eat it. I don't take and then leave it, you know what I mean. So I'm very against food wastage. So when people see what is this going eating that he's actually eating it, they think it's actually hilarious.
Speaker 4: Hey, James, have you ever pushed yourself too far?
Speaker 8: I was just thinking what happened because I almost checked on living thee So.
Speaker 1: Look, I've actually been disqualified.
Speaker 6: I actually got disqualified for my first ever contest last year I did. I would have broken the world record for tamali's. I did ninety six tomalis in ten minutes. But I had food.
Speaker 1: I had literally tamali, and it came.
Speaker 7: Out of my nose and so you got to saud because it came out of you.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, like a chunk of tamali, like think of like a piece of corn, like a corn on the cob, piece of corn, like out.
Speaker 1: Of my nose.
Speaker 4: And so Tomali's like a corn dog.
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 6: Tomali's is like it's called it's called like a husk. It's like it's kind of like a like a mince, is it?
Speaker 4: I think?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And it's it's got a bit of a bit of tang, a lot of paprika, turmeric, you know a lot of spices.
Speaker 1: That was that was not pretty.
Speaker 5: James, Have you ever done a chicken nugget eating challenge?
Speaker 1: I have last year.
Speaker 6: I came second in the Wendy's Nuggets contest and two hundred and seven in eight minutes.
Speaker 3: Did you raw dog them or did you have sauce?
Speaker 1: You don't have time for sauce. You just use your.
Speaker 4: So how did just quickly? How does it work?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 7: If you're doing the chicken nugget eating contest, it's like you've got a certain amount you've got to get through, and it's how quickly you can do it or is there a time?
Speaker 4: And then you say how many you get through?
Speaker 6: Well in a contest, right, because you're eating against others. So what they do is they late up. So each plate will have like ten nuggets on it, for example, and they and you have you have your own plate counter, so every time you eat a plate, they'll reach for your table. And yeah, so normally any contest go between eight and twelve minutes on the contest, right, So then at the end of like ten minutes or whatever, they'll count how many plates you've got or how many plates you've eaten. And then you know you have a stack inew of plates that you've eaten and they just count the man.
Speaker 1: Obviously they know.
Speaker 6: Ten nuggets per bowl. Twenty bowls, that's two hundred nuggets.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 8: Whatever, Well, look you can check him out online. Jwebbycneat dot com.
Speaker 4: Great website, you know it.
Speaker 8: Great website, Australia's number one competitive eater and our guests this morning for the experts, James, when you come back to Australia.
Speaker 5: Swing past the studio, we should we should try and take him on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, oh no, we won't take you.
Speaker 8: But the three of you versus me, you go, oh, we work as a team.
Speaker 5: No hope, we can get him with nuggets.
Speaker 7: May remind you fifty three smoked sausages seventy donuts in eight minutes.
Speaker 4: You reckon, you can still beat him.
Speaker 5: I reckon. If we work together, we could take him.
Speaker 4: Maybe the whole team, the whole team, production and all verse.
Speaker 5: James, You're up for it?
Speaker 1: Sounds good to me.
Speaker 5: Done.
Speaker 6: Let's go as long as as long as we get the cameras out so when I beat you this.
Speaker 8: Brush James this morning.
Speaker 5: Hey, thanks to being a part of the experts, James.
Speaker 1: Thanks James thanks for having you guys. Have a great day.