Speaker 1: I'll get are you bloody Champions. It's Jumbo, it's Fatty Harps. It's doctor Denise, who's definitely not a jumbo, definitely not fat from the thriving metropolis of Queensland, she joins us.
Speaker 2: Hi, Doc, Hello, how are you. I know you've had a very busy day.
Speaker 3: Oh busy day, back to back, back to back, but always.
Speaker 4: Happy to be here and chatting with you, Craig Harper almost.
Speaker 2: I'm very glad, very glad.
Speaker 1: Now I'm writing something because this is not great listing. I apologize listeners. Cognebisi all right, because I want to talk about something. So I'm going to give you the heads up.
Speaker 2: Everyone. This is a little warning.
Speaker 1: We're going to do about a six or seven minute promo about a program we're doing, which won't be for all of you. Of course, it'll probably not be for most of you. It'll be for some of you. So I've tried very hard on this show not to promote or not to do ads, because ads kind of suck in terms of I know we have you in build ads, but that's how we hey for the show. But in terms of me doing advertorials, I hate doing it, but I am very, very proud of this and excited about this thing that Denise and I are doing. So if you want to zoom through this you can and we'll have a normal potty in about five or six or seven minutes. But anyway, Denise and I, the lovely Denise and I are running a program up in her neck of the woods, to be specific, at the Mantra Hotel in Malulabar on the Sunshine Coast. The program is called the Reset Program, which is a little bit self explanatory, but we'll dive into it a bit.
Speaker 2: It's this June. It's June, so.
Speaker 1: It's still a way away June twelve to fourteen. That's a Friday night to a Sunday. Now, Denise and I are going to give you a very brief snapshot of what we're each doing. We're collaborating, we're working together. The idea of her being the genetic wizard. What's a female wizard, I don't know. Let's just go guru, who's it s Let's go with good educator, world authority, which is very true. She's going to just kind of play in the biological space and the genetic space and the you know, learning to love your body and look after your body space. I'm going to be a little bit of that, but more in the headspace, mind state, brain space, behavioral self regulation space. So we have a waiting list which is currently open. The reason we have a waiting list is because Denise, if I fuck something up, just.
Speaker 2: Say Craig, you fucked this up. The reason we have a waiting.
Speaker 1: List is because we only have to have fifty spaces fifty places. Obviously, it's an invert an in person event. A few people have already said can we do it online?
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, we're planning to do a few of these, so this is our first one, but we're excited. We've both been presenting forever. I've been presenting for forty years, Denise not quite as long, but she's been presenting all over the world in the last few years. She's high regarded me not so much, but I'll go anyway. So we have a weight list that you can go on to. That doesn't mean that you're committing, that doesn't mean that you're obligated to do anything, But what it means is if you go onto the wait list, then you are first to be off at a place. So if you're on the wait list. We actually are going to launch to the people in the wait list for about a week before we open it up to the general public. So when we launch the program and make ticketing available, spaces available to the people on the wait list that will not be known by the public until a week later. People who sign up or people who get on that weight list will get a significantly cheaper price if they want to take it. But let me just remind you that the.
Speaker 3: Weight list really quickly. At the end of the day.
Speaker 4: This is for you know, my people and your people, right, we have people that are dedicated to your podcast. I've got my people too that have been dying to see me live. So for those of you that want to get in, and as Craig said, obviously only fifty spots. So giving you this information quick. But the other thing is all the stuff that we're going to talk about really really quickly. Should we just mention this stuff just what we might?
Speaker 1: I just want to say one more thing, so being on the wait list is not an obligation.
Speaker 2: No, you can be on the weight list and then.
Speaker 1: When we make it live, you know, buy your ticket by your place or you can go nah so there's there's no hooks, catches or agendas. Once again. June twelve to fourteen, the Reset Program. Denise and I, why don't we start with you.
Speaker 2: I want to know.
Speaker 1: We're not going to divulge too much, but just to give you a snapshot everybody of where Denise is going to focus, where I'm going to focus. I will tell you that it will be a very interactive if I'm there, I hope fun experience. Denise's fun. I'm fun while I try to be. I like you to in You know, this is not university. This is, but it is. There is a big focus on education and inspiration and helping you operationalize your potential in a very real way. We're not just going to talk at you for forty eight hours. I want this to be the genesis for a lot of you, the starting point for a lot of you to do some big transformative work. That's what I want. Depends what you want, doctor Denise. Tell us what you're going to be sharing on the weekend in June.
Speaker 4: So I will be talking about biological age, and for those that know what I do, I've been talking about that for a long time all over the world. So I'll be there talking about biological age, what speeds up aging, and more importantly, what you'll probably want to know what slows down aging. I'll be talking about nutrition. Obviously I'm a nutritionist as well, so you know what of fads, what's really going to move the needle from a health perspective, as well as genetics, optimizing your genetics. You don't have to have done DNA testing, but understanding and listening.
Speaker 3: To your body.
Speaker 4: And I think that's something that Craig and I talk about all the time, is paying attention. We're often so disconnected, so really just connecting with your body. What are the priorities for you? So you're walking away at the end of this knowing the action steps that you need to take to improve your health because we're a little bit different and learning about that. And as Craig said, yes, educational, but there'll be interactive staff.
Speaker 3: Craig's going to do the movement. You'll probably tell you about that.
Speaker 4: But of course we are fun too, a bit of fun in the middle of all of that stuff.
Speaker 2: Maybe we're not, maybe we just think we are.
Speaker 1: We're going to do some movement stuff, which is all optional, by the way, everything's optional. I mean, I wouldn't pay to go away for a weekend like this and choose not to come to too many sessions would defeat the.
Speaker 2: Point, I think. But in terms of the movement stuff.
Speaker 1: Obviously my background is very much in the fitness exercise movie in Space, owning gyms, working with elite teams, athletes, all that stuff. So we're going to have optional fitness and movement sessions, and probably every time we do a session there will be a range of options, either two or three options from easy ish too harder for people who want to do that.
Speaker 2: Right. I'm going to rip.
Speaker 1: Through what I'm kind of going to focus on, and then we're going to jump into a podcast.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to be exploring more.
Speaker 1: Head stuff, mind stuff, understanding human behavior stuff, a little bit of sociology.
Speaker 2: What do I think the way that I do?
Speaker 1: Why do I behave the way that I do around this person? Why do I tell myself stories of fucking doom and gloom?
Speaker 2: And what can I do about that?
Speaker 1: How do I build a life and a life kind of operating system that is a reflection of who I want to be and how I want to be? Like, what are my values? What's the shit that matters to me? And how come I don't do that? How can I? How can I behavior outlast my motivation because we all get pumped and excited, we get in the zone and we're like, fack, this is me, and then four and a half minutes or weeks or days or whatever later, we're not doing it, despite the fact that we said we would be different this time. This is me, this is my time to shine. And that's not a weakness, that's not a bad thing, that's a human thing. So how do I actually build an operating system that means I'm going to keep doing what I need to do to get where I want to go. We're going to talk about human potential. What is your potential? What is your capacity? What is your actual ability and potential and capacity versus what you think because they are vast most people, in my experience, my four decades of working with humans face to face, my experience is that most people don't have a fucking clue as to how capable they are.
Speaker 2: So we're going to explore capability potential.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about what success is for you, not globally but personally, like what matters to you and why we're going to talk about a little bit about the way we see ourselves in the world, about the way we see others, how we understand, how others think. We're going to talk about objective and subjective reality, what's actually going on, like what's going on? And then what's my version of what's going on? And is that empowering me or disempowering me. So it's going to be a really nice synthesis between psychological, emotional, physiological health, and most importantly, we both want to kind of empower and encourage you to pick up the you know, the cricket bat and run or whatever metaphor you want to use, following the program so.
Speaker 3: And having steps right, practical steps that you walk away with so you know where to focus. You know, is that focus going to be?
Speaker 4: You really need to start prioritizing more of that exercise or you know, why are you doing it? The sleep, the nutrition, you know, a lot of you might know all these things that you should be doing, but prioritizing.
Speaker 3: Listening to your body and working out why aren't I doing that?
Speaker 4: And what do I need do and walking away with a bit of a plan, So you are prioritizing the most important thing that you want, because we're all a little bit different. One thing we're not doing is giving a protocol. We are teaching you the tools, the.
Speaker 3: Practical things you can do, and then you do what's right for you.
Speaker 4: And as Craig said as well, we do hope you come along for all the sessions, but you don't have to.
Speaker 3: This is your.
Speaker 4: Journey and if you want to go off and go for a walk on the beach, go for it. But if you want to be there and grab every bit of information and hang out with us the whole time, we would also love that.
Speaker 1: I guess the overarching question without getting Dr Denise's permission on this would be something like, in the context of my life, my dreams, my goals, my needs, but how do I manage me optimally? I think we're not particularly good at managing ourselves. Some of us are, some of us not so much. Sometimes I'm a superstar, sometimes I'm dogshit. So how do I get better? I hope no new people listening to this, they're like, I'm definitely not going for that guy.
Speaker 2: All right, there, we know.
Speaker 3: I would not say that about yourself. You are not dogs.
Speaker 1: Well, also, I probably should have said this. If you want to go on the wait list, go to craigharper dot net and that'll just you know, Denise's listeners, my listeners, whoever, and you can click on that and you'll see it there. Bib Bobby Boo. We'll mention the deats, just the quick beats at the end if you so care to hang around for that long. Now let's do a podcast. I wanted to ask you before we went live. You said to me, not in a siokie way, just in an updating me way. I've had a big day. I've done this, this, this, this, and I went I started at four thirty and you're my last commitment. And as i'm talking right now, it's four o four, so I'm going to be done is by four thirty four forty five. And one of my my challenges is I'm not bad at it, but I think it's a very common challenge. How do I how do I try and maintain my focus and my concentration and my energy and the quality of what I'm doing with my five pm person like you've got stuff till seven pm tonight in or eight pm tonight in Queensland, which is here right from early today.
Speaker 2: And I feel like for a.
Speaker 1: Lot of people, our challenge is how do I you know, between eight and two, I'm fucking amazing, and then at four I'm dog shit because I'm sliding into a coma. There goes that word again. Apologies, hashtag not really. What's your strategy for trying to keep your energy as much where it needs to be as possible?
Speaker 3: So a quick little break in between.
Speaker 4: Obviously I was ten minutes late coming onto the podcast, as you know, and I said, sorry, busy day, but I said I need five minutes, even though I wanted to come running in as I need five minutes, and I did. I had a water, I just had a breath, and I kind of just shook it all out right.
Speaker 3: So it's like, I do need a break. You need a little reset because you've just been thinking about one thing.
Speaker 4: You know, you've seen a patient where you've just had this meeting, or to get out of that space. But just giving yourself a little reset. Excuse the living there, but just that small little reset. I can't lie though, I would say that as the day goes on, sometimes the energy is different.
Speaker 3: What I do do and.
Speaker 4: I don't do this successfully. I am going to be very honest, is I do have planned breaks. I should technically have at least half an hour between all of my meetings and clients, and most of the time I'm actually pretty good at it, and.
Speaker 3: That half an hour is great.
Speaker 4: I can make a quick smoothie or have a coffee, or go out and pat the dog. That is so refreshing. But today's been one of those days where I was just a little a little bit over. But typically my days are no longer back to back like this. I've learned not to set my life up like this most of the time.
Speaker 2: It's not Yes, that's great, you know, I think you'll like this.
Speaker 1: So obviously, good personal trainers and there are good personal trainers, great personal trainers, there are shit personal trainers, just like in any industry or profession.
Speaker 2: But the trainers that.
Speaker 1: Work for me as honest as I can be or as objective as I can be about my own stuff, they weren't all amazing, but mostly they were somewhere between pretty good and I would say outstanding. But I always the one thing that I had a conversation with every trainer about was everybody's paying the same amount, so you can't give somebody forty percent you at five pm because you started work at five am and five am client got one hundred percent you because they're not getting the same value. So my question to you is doesn't have to be one hundred percent, but somewhere in the eighty ninety hundred. How many quality sessions can you do per day? Because if you can only do five great sessions, I'm not going to let you do six, I'm not going to let you do ten, and your threshold will build. But I used to talk to them about this concept called your shit threshold, and the shit threshold is how much of a certain thing you can do before it turns to shit. And so I know, for example, this weekend that we're going to do. I know that because I'm a high energy presenter, you're a high energy presenter.
Speaker 3: I am one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: I'm not trying to talk about the program, but I know that I need to manage me. I know that if I go all right, I'm going to present from here to here, then I'm having two hours where I might hang around or I might sleep, like whatever I need to do to be awesome for people for the weekend. And I would say to my trainers maybe you do four in the morning and then maybe you have six hours off and maybe you do four in the late afternoon slash early evening. But I don't want you trying to do six or seven in a row if you can't do six or seven amazing sessions. So I think that you know, in any job that's skill based or people facing, I think trying to understand what is your capacity, what is your threshold, because.
Speaker 2: After a while, you do your you do.
Speaker 1: Everybody's got a brand, whether or not you think it might be just a brand within your team, but you do your brand and your reputation harm if you can't consistently, at least pretty consistently. Of course, people have good and bad days, but over the for the most part, you know can produce something that's at a reasonably high level, especially if you want to build a reputation as somebody who's great at what they do.
Speaker 4: And I think this leads into more than just performing or you know as a PT or me being a practitioner, you know, seeing patients. It's coming down to managing your energy. Then also just for your long term health because you push yourself constantly.
Speaker 3: So when I told you I have half an hour breaks.
Speaker 4: That's because I've learned and I, like most people have been through burnout.
Speaker 3: You know, had an autoimmune condition, which no doubt came for burnout.
Speaker 4: So you need to manage your energy and work out what's best for you whatever you're doing in life, whether you're in corporate, whether you're you know, behind the counter at the bakery or whatever. Maybe you need to have a I don't know, you need to have a walk in the morning, or you need to do something at lunchtime. But it's managing your energy, not just so that you're good for the person in front of you, but so you're good for yourself so you actually don't feel exhausted, so that you're actually not depleting yourself.
Speaker 3: So there's there's both ways.
Speaker 4: It's showing up for that person but also taking care of yourself because you know, what you and I do creat is we're they're to help people be the best they can be, you know, to to go and find their dreams and their goals, and that it's never going to happen when you depleted and you're.
Speaker 3: Busy and you go, go, go, So you need those.
Speaker 4: Little moments to re energize. And I only have two big days a week. By the way, it's Tuesday Thursday. I would never usually do a podcast on a Thursday. That we had a chat yesterday about the program and we were going to do the podcast. Moved it into today, which was fine. I actually had a longer gap. It was meant to be. But I have two big days. My other days are not like that because I could do every day like today. Otherwise I'd never show up in that energetic way. But also I would burn out. So it's understanding, what are our limits?
Speaker 3: You know or not linkits? I know that's not a good word, is it limits? But well energy managing energy, Well.
Speaker 1: We do have limits, and it's not bad things to say we have limits. But like when so you presented at the U Project. By the way, everyone, we're going to do you Project conference this year if the old docks available, although we can't fucking afford her anymore.
Speaker 2: I got a windshis didn't realize how much she was worth.
Speaker 1: But you know, when I've I've done half day kind of four hour gigs with seven hundred people where there's no one else at that auditorium you spack spoke at at Deacon.
Speaker 3: University, the one I spack at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the one you spack at. Thanks for picking that up. Yeah, money, you can someone edit that out to leave it. I'm tired.
Speaker 4: We both people, we both are. We came into this. You know what you didn't mention. I'm just going a little tangent here. I thought you were going to say at the beginning of this podcast, because by the way we both said, well we're going to talk about we'll just you know, we'll just go with it.
Speaker 3: I thought you were going to say when I.
Speaker 4: Told her that I started at four and I was tired, she turned around and said, well, I started at eight and I don't finish till seven, Like it was a competition between us.
Speaker 3: That's what I thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think so, I think, but I think gone.
Speaker 4: No, I was going to say, I I where you're going with the long sessions too, not seven hundred people. I mean I spoke in front of ten thousand people just in December, spoke at Longevity Fest in Vegas.
Speaker 3: It was ridiculously huge.
Speaker 4: But that was.
Speaker 3: Only thirty minutes. Mind you, it's huge. It's full on.
Speaker 4: It's full on, like the energy of those couple of days is just in tense.
Speaker 3: But what I was going to say is I've done all day workshops, you.
Speaker 4: Know, and I've gone to London, and it's a bit nerve racking knowing that I'm on the other side of the world and the next morning I've got to get up, you know. It's the time difference in jet lag and stuff like that. But I prepare again thinking about the energy. I'm so mindful of having a quiet night, you know, even if there is a dinner. So I do so much of the international speaking and often they'll have a speaker's dinner or people want to take me out, and I'm actually getting really good at saying no, even though I'm at social butterfly and I love people and I want to catch up with everyone. I know that if I do too much, I then it does affect my presentation in the sense that I'm more nervous because I'm.
Speaker 3: A bit tired. I'm not feeling as prepared.
Speaker 4: So I will generally always have a quiet night before my presentation, and even if someone has put together a dinner, I'll just politely decline and say I'm sorry, I need to just you know, I need to rest. So I am more than ever very mindful of my energy. And it's interesting because people always think I'm constantly high energy, and I am. I'm an extrovert. I feed off other people. I love being around people. But if I don't have those moments to recharge I do, I get very depleted.
Speaker 3: So what do you doing for our day when you're well?
Speaker 1: What I was going to say was, like you, I do all day days work corporate, which are obviously fucking tiring, But for me, it's not as emotional as when I'm working with people who plugged into me, like they know me, they like me, they follow me, they love the show they and I feel like, you know, I reckon sometimes in those seven hundred people events, I give three hundred hugs, you know. And so I go into that I can do you know, four hours half our day ish and be way more tired than when like I did one recently for the Department of Justice, and I spoke for about ten hours.
Speaker 2: Well that was a ten hour thing, but with breaks and whatever, and I was tired.
Speaker 1: But when I'm totally plugged into a room where this is not a corporate thing, where I've got to tick all these particular boxes and meet all these corporate criterion, don't say shit or fuck and don't do this, and you know all that. Where you go and you do that, that's your job and I understand that and I can do that. But I remember doing one of these half day ones and I drove home and I was just smashed. And I hadn't physically worked hard. I was just walking up and back of stay stage talking but yeah, that stuff, okay. So off the back of this, I had a question, why why were you so hap for me? Just just emotionally. It's like I had that particular day.
Speaker 2: We had.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I really would be guessing, but hundreds of people crying. M and then I see people crying, I get emotional and I'm like, you can't lose your shit. You're the fucking idiot up the front. Get it together, get it together. And then that takes a lot of self regulation. And I'm not embarrassed to cry. I've literally cried in front of hundreds of people.
Speaker 3: Mean too. But it's hard as a presenter. So I presented two days after my mom passed.
Speaker 4: And believed it or I was talking about epigenetics through the women's lifespan. It started through preconception, fertility, which is where I started. It ended at Alzheimer's dementia and my mom passed Alzheimer's dementia, and of course the organizers were like, you don't have to come, and I was like.
Speaker 3: I'll be there. And I got right to the end, right.
Speaker 4: To the end, and then I'm talking about dementia and then I just you know, just almost like can't get my breath. And then I told everyone and I'm crying, and yeah, I mean it was good because I guess it was at the end. I didn't have to because I've had another one that I'll tell you about where it was sort of earlier on. But I have to say it took a lot out of me because I.
Speaker 3: Wasn't comfortable crying.
Speaker 4: I thought my before that I'd probably never been emotional ever on stage, and I saw myself as the expert.
Speaker 3: It's not who I wanted to be.
Speaker 4: However, the feedback I got from that and years later, people you know, doctors that were there or people just going that was one of the most moving talks that I'd ever heard, so I think people really loved that.
Speaker 3: Side of it.
Speaker 2: But then, of course, but a few years.
Speaker 4: Later, similar thing when I started the healthy Aging study, and I was starting to share the results from that. That came off the back of my dad passing. Like that sort of gave me a bit of the motivation to focus on all that stuff. A few things all aligned. But I was talking about why I started the study, and I was in New Zealand and I mentioned my dad and I couldn't even believe it. I just started crying at the beginning of the talk. But it was it took so much energy to come back, like I kept just trying to go, just get it together, just get it together. But yes, I've cried on stage a few times now, and I have to say, even though it connects with people in a way and they say they love it, I don't like it. Like I come off stage going I wish I didn't do that. It's interesting how we do that to ourselves.
Speaker 2: I get it, but it just is what it is.
Speaker 1: I'll shut up after this and move on to a new question. But one of my best friends died about ten years ago now. But I had anyway, I had a corporate gig. I had a corporate gig at two pm in the city and my friend passed away in a car accident obviously totally unexpected, completely healthy, fit XAFL footballer, helicopter pilot, film producer, superstar. Also two of his only two kids passed away. It's the saddest thing of all time. Yeah, yeah, so wife left with none of the men in her life, right and saddest, Like, I've never been to a funeral like it. But anyway, So I found out that the funeral was on the same day, but it was like two and a half hours before, and I'm like, well, I'll go to the funeral. The funeral will be an hour. I'll have at least an hour to get to the event. I'm on my motorbike, it's twenty minutes away. I'll get my shit together, I'll have a coffee, I'll throw some water on my face, I'll put on my big boy pants and I'll.
Speaker 2: Do the thing. Right.
Speaker 1: So, the funeral starts late and it goes forever, and it's still going like thirty minutes before I've got to present, and I'm at least fifteen twenty minutes away on a motorbike, so I you know, it's coming to an end. So it wasn't totally you know, horrible that I walked out, but so I had to leave, which obviously made me feel shit. But there was literally three hundred people waiting for me to talk of this thing. So I went to this thing and same, I'm like, I started talking about something and anyway, I thought of my mate and just like I just started losing it and I definitely probably shouldn't have done the gig. And I just said to everyone, I just paused, and I said, this is on no level should you need to tolerate this right now, but let me just briefly explain. And I told them and they were just like your people. They were like, oh my god, that's like, thank you for being vulnerable, thank you for being honest. And it went better than if I clearly I didn't cry for effect.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and so I think people are very compassionate. And I think when you're crying.
Speaker 3: Real, right, people like reality.
Speaker 4: We have this world where we think we need to show up in a certain way, but truth is, people people appreciate that because then all of a sudden they've got a little bit of insight to you, and it is it's so real.
Speaker 2: I have a question for you. We'll pause that. Thank you.
Speaker 1: So I don't know how much you ever think about this. But out in the world of you know, superstar bloody social media, people who are all promoting this gizmo and that supplement and you know, this peptide and that whatever off label, My patients come.
Speaker 3: Through it and go, what about this? I've seen this online. I pay two hundred dollars a month for this supplement all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, so, I mean, I know, obviously, without naming anybody, I know lots of students, believe it or not, I'm still a student who use neotropics, A nootropic just for our listeners, essentially something that improves cognitive performance.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've ever opened this.
Speaker 1: Door, but things like again, not a recommendation anyone at all, but things like people use nicorette gum, so people who don't even smoke, they'll use like a I'm not going to name doses or anything because I don't want to direct anyone to anything, but they'll use.
Speaker 3: There's good evidence for it though, and.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, but so and things like modafinol, which is an anti narcolepsy drug, which people use. Friend of mine, fuck another friend of mine who passed away a couple of years ago. Or a year and a half ago, he was a pharmacist and he was all about it. He's like, oh, yes, it's not addictive, it's this and that and so other than my question, my.
Speaker 4: Long whining because we don't necessarily want to be recommending them, but there are others.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not, I'm not, I'm just saying what people well, I'm actually asking quite a what's the word, like.
Speaker 2: A morally grounded question.
Speaker 1: So we don't want people necessarily, definitely not at our direction or advice, taking drugs for their brain to work optimally and to override their fatigue or whatever. And we know sleep, and we know maybe a bit of caffeine, and we know not having too much chaos, and we know a bit of music, and we know a bit of recovery. But is there anything that people can use that is something in the ballpark of a natural supplement or food or herb that has any kind of cognitive enhancement effect.
Speaker 4: Yes, and we may have mentioned on a previous podcast, but if we haven't, something that works really well for me and what I probably should have done before the podcast because it's so good with my.
Speaker 3: Clarity and my thoughts. El theanine is one of my favorites. It's actually something that is more for when.
Speaker 4: You're It increases the deep wave patterns in the brain. So often people think about it with sleep because you get a bit more deep sleep, but actually when you're really dressed, or you're anxious, or you've got lots on, which often happens when you're a bit tired, like when we jumped on the podcast and we've had a million things going on, elthenine just helps calm things down. But it's not a sedative. It's actually not a sedative. It actually helps with clarity. And when I love Healthanine before I do presentations because I do always get a bit nervous.
Speaker 3: People say you don't look nervous.
Speaker 4: I am, But when I have Lthanine, I actually do notice the difference. And as you were just talking about all this is like why I didn't I have any before coming on here, because it just helps me just be a bit sharper with my with my thoughts. It just takes a bit of that fuzz away. So I love Lthanine. Another one is bu Copa.
Speaker 1: Can you eate one sec? I just want to before we finish and go on. Is Lthanine an amino acid, it is it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a bit like that.
Speaker 4: So, but it's coming from it's a plant extract, mainly in green tea, and so you know, when people talk about the benefits of green tea, they're often talking about you know, lthenine as well some of the antioxidants. But in interestingly they think in plants. It's actually to help with plants with a stress response as well.
Speaker 3: So and then we take it.
Speaker 1: So where one, I'm asking for me, not for any of our audience. So if I wanted to take it, you know, I mean, you know what I'm about. I'm eighty kilos By the way, what how much would I take? Where do I get it?
Speaker 2: Is it a pill? Is it liquid? Is it? What is it?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: Typically where do I get it? How much do I take?
Speaker 3: So you could pop in?
Speaker 4: I always recommend at least chatting to a pharmacist, you know, popping into the chemist. There's usually someone there that's knowledgeable in all the supplements. So if you don't have a health practitioner, chat to your pharmacist, ask them for LC and they'll have a range of different brands, Lots of different companies offer it, but at least if you're speaking to the pharmacist, it's going to be a good one that's TGA.
Speaker 3: Approved in Australia.
Speaker 4: If you buy something online, you just don't know where it's from all that kind of stuff. So I always think of about getting it from a practitioner, at least that the pharmacists to start with, so you know you're getting a reputable brand.
Speaker 1: You also don't even know if you're getting what you think you're getting, Like if you buy it online, I forget the number, but it's very like if it says one hundred milligrams of whatever, it almost never is because there's no way for you to know unless you go get it laboratory tested.
Speaker 2: Good luck with that.
Speaker 1: There's no way for you to know if what it says on the outside of the bottle or the packet is what you're actually putting in your body one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: And there are many studies where they've looked.
Speaker 4: At supplements and there aren't the levels. Sometimes it's much less, there's hardly anything. Other times it's much more. And what you've got to be careful of is these brands that we don't know, even if they've got fantastic marketing, they can have what are known as excipients, other little things fillers and stuff like that that actually aren't good for you, so you want In Australia, we're quite lucky. We have well lucky that could go off on a holidside that I won't talk about.
Speaker 3: The TGA. They could be a pain in some ways, but they are quite strict.
Speaker 4: So anything that has approval from our Therapeutic Goods Association. So something stocked in a pharmacist, you know it's got if they're going to have TGA approved things, so that we know that they've been tested, the ingredients are safe. I mean we're obous talking about then, and I'm telling you about something, but there might be another product you're looking at. So I would pop into the pharmacy. I would chat to them and ask them, tell them you're interested in this product. They can tell you what brands they have. From a dosic perspective, from the dosages are one hundred or two hundred milligrams.
Speaker 3: I'm going to be honest.
Speaker 4: For you, Craig, who's really busy at exercising, you know, you know your weight and everything, and also for me personally when I'm really thinking about using it for performance.
Speaker 3: I don't really get.
Speaker 4: Those effects that I just told you about until it hits four hundred milligrams. Now, I know that's a little bit higher than what recommended, but often on the bottle they're giving you just a little low dose.
Speaker 3: But if you're doing it just for helping you with your sleep, as I said, getting your deep sleep or a bit of calming, that two hundred milligrams is enough that if you're doing it because you're getting up and you're doing a presentation, or you're in a podcast, or you just really need to just get your head together.
Speaker 4: You know you're at UNI, you're obviously finishing your PhD. Then I would be going that four hundred milligrams. That's still not getting to a dose that's that's dangerous. But again, don't take this from me. I would talk to your health practition or the pharmacist. Get it from the pharmacist, and know what they tell you for that specific product.
Speaker 2: Is something interesting. I read this the other day.
Speaker 1: I just brought it up again on AI to try and it's a bit of discrepancy over But so these are all university studies where they tested how much creatine is in creatine gummies. And at least at least fifty percent of the creatine gummies have no creatine.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, so Creatin's obviously another one that's really good. Did I tell you about my story of trying to have fifteen grams at one go and actually did it twice?
Speaker 3: And both times I was not. I was like all dizzy. And have you had high dose creatine in one go?
Speaker 4: I have it every day, every day milligram fifteen gram sorry in one go?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, generally probably ten or twelve grams, which is like two heaped teaspoons, but.
Speaker 2: I've had twenty grams. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But also I think, like everything again, everyone not a recommendation, and why would why do I take creatine?
Speaker 2: Not for you know, extra.
Speaker 1: Reps in the gym, although that doesn't hurt, But there's a lot of evidence to suggest that, as Denise is suggesting, there's a cognitive benefit, more like cognitive endurance and focus and clarity. Yeah, so definitely I find that. So it's ironic that I used to take creatine because I was a bullfed training Yeah, and now because I'm trying to be less of a I'm taking creating.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember taking it and honestly, I could, you know, run further, you know, when I was injured and.
Speaker 3: Things like that.
Speaker 4: I was a bit anti creatine for so long because I was using it for the wrong reasons. I was using it to push myself when I was already fatigued, and because I did get something from it.
Speaker 3: But I now use it for a different reason.
Speaker 4: And I am quite a chat to my clients and patients and say, we're not using this to increase performance, particularly if you've got some health issues. We don't want you to overtrain because it's going to make things worse.
Speaker 3: But from a cognitive perspective, the higher.
Speaker 4: Dose it has been shown to cross the blood brain barrier and be really helpful with cognition. However, this is a reason why you should go and chat to your farmer st or have a practitioner. Because even though I hear these things on podcasts and there's all this stuff, I had fifteen.
Speaker 3: So it said that it also helps.
Speaker 4: Get rid of jet lag. Well, I am someone that has jet lag all the time. So I got home, Great, I'm going to have my fifteen gram's going to get rid of my jet lag. No, I felt a little bit dizzy. Is at the word, but just not right in my head. And then i'd slight nausea and I was like, I don't feel great. Interesting, and I thought, okay, that's a one off. Don't judge it on one off. So then I had at the second time felt exactly the same. What I haven't done, though, is try a different brand. So I'm using a high quality Australian straight creatine powder. There's nothing in it's from a an Australian. Yeah, I won't say the brands, but anyway, it is a very high quality practitioner only actually not that you need a practitioner only one.
Speaker 3: So I don't think there's anything nasty in it.
Speaker 4: But what I need to do, because it's been about twelve months since I tried it, is get a different brand. But I can have five grams. But again, the five grams doesn't take away my jet lag. I don't notice the cognitive stuff. Do you notice so with lth and when I have four hundred milligrams, I personally works wonders for me. Do you have fifteen milligrams order that high dose of creatine.
Speaker 3: And you notice it? You actually can feel the difference, think differently, you're on your.
Speaker 2: Show one hundred.
Speaker 1: So I feel like this is probably not true, but I feel like I'm a little bit smarter. But the few times that and I've spoken about this that I've likened this is a person who's never had a cigarette. But the times that I've taken not a recommendation everyone. I've taken two milligram chewing gum, nicotine or nicorette or whatever at one hundred percent, I can absolutely tell. And it's not a placebo because I've done things before where I knew it was going to work and I got fucking nothing. So my expectation doesn't necessarily create a response. But yeah, where So the funny thing is for me, it's about one and a half hours where everything's just clearer, My recalls better, you know, my articulation of things is better.
Speaker 2: Bah bah bah. It's about an hour and a half to two.
Speaker 1: So if I have say which I offer and have, I've got to speak at a function at night and I've been up since five and I'm.
Speaker 2: Speaking at seven thirty.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, on a typical day, I'm just like my brain's just putting itself to bed and just fucking pulling the blankets up over its prefrontal cortex and going giving a finger to the world, right, And yeah, so I will have as I'm driving in or maybe even maybe even five or ten minutes before I speak. I sometimes will do that, and for me it works. Again, I do shit that works for me, like I had two meals a day. I wouldn't recommend it to everybody. I haven't had a job for forty years. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody now. And then I take a bit of nicotine because it works for me. But you know, like I would say this year, not this year, because I've done you know, fuck all. But probably in the last twelve months, I've done three bits of gum, So this is definitely not a habit, right. And another thing that I've used, which I spoke about before, my dafinol, which I've probably used six times in my life. But yeah, again that's I don't even want to tell you on air, but yeah, that just is for me. That's a fucking game changer. Yeah, like our game changer. That's why I don't use it because I maybe have addictive tendencies and.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, I could get used to this, and I don't want to so bad to be relying on it. Yeah, yeah, and again. But the thing is, it's like, here's the thing you're talking about. You had fifteen grams and cretin and you've got this response. I was saying, I have fifteen grams. I have a totally different response.
Speaker 1: But you know, I've given people who've never had careateine. I'd say, look, take this, that's like fucking thirty grams. I'd give them a bit of mine or whatever, and I'd take that and do like ten grams three days in a row. And the first day they'd ring me and go, I've got a horrible fucking game. And it's like it gives them a horrible gut. Say the next person, they do not even notice it, So it's it's less Well, of course, it's about what we're putting in our body, but it's also very much about how our physiology interacts with that whatever it is we're digesting, absorbing.
Speaker 3: See, even something as basic as magnesium.
Speaker 4: You know, we can use magnesium as a laxative because some people really gets their vowels moving.
Speaker 2: Some people.
Speaker 4: But you know, I have had little she was tiny and ballet, professional ballet dancer, but she was having a gram like so, you know, we're usually most magnesium supplement about one hundred and fifty milligrams, so had her on our whole gram, you know, over a thousand milligrams, but that's.
Speaker 3: What she needed.
Speaker 4: She was stressed, she was a bit anxious, you know, her level of exercise. That was really helpful for her. But someone else would have four hundred milligrams and they would get the runs. So you know, different people respond in different ways. By the way, you know, a gram of magnesium is a lot. I'm definitely not recommending that that was a unique person in that situation. Definitely want to be working with how health practitioner if you want to start to think about using things therapeutically high dose and most often I don't recommend high dose, but it is important to note how we respond differently and when you see something online and you see what you were.
Speaker 3: Talking about the start.
Speaker 4: If we go back to the question the social media stuff, it's not good for everyone. We're all different, and you need to be really careful what you put in your body, really careful and try to choose quality things, be confident that you're getting what you're actually wanting, and the other one.
Speaker 3: I wanted to mention too.
Speaker 4: If we're thinking about stress cognition is bu copa, and that's often in some of the neotropics, and I do give a nootropic kind of powdery teething to some of my clients. They're worried about cognition and it's got bu copa in it. And we have a lot of studies with bu copa, again a herbal extract.
Speaker 3: A lot of the herbalist and naturopaths have been using it.
Speaker 4: For a long time, but now it's becoming popular with the cognition and I also so I'm interested in it because there are some studies to show that it's helpful with reducing cognitive decline, and that's obviously an area I'm interested in me being predisposed to Alzheimer's, But there's also a lot of studies with stress showing that bu copa can actually help people with just managing their stress levels.
Speaker 3: And I think often when we are thinking that we can't get.
Speaker 4: Our thoughts together and all that stuff, there is just because there's this bit of underlying stress, So managing that stress. Obviously there's a lifestyle stuff as well, but if you can take a supplement here or there that's natural, that doesn't have side effects, that's not addictive. You're lcnin, you know, a bit of creatine. If it works for you, work out what dose is right, you know, be COPA or some of these things.
Speaker 3: I mean, we do have a lot of evidence that they work.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, so yes, and I think that, you know, I was just thinking about one of my friends who I saw a dude on the weekend that's five to ten coffees a day. I'm like, dude, I would be dead, and he goes. I can go to bed with a and I sleep like a baby. Right.
Speaker 4: And another one of my past another delizer of caffeine. Some people are fast metabolizers of genetics. And these people are actually known to often drink more coffee, but they actually process it really quicker, quicker than there are some people that just couldn't tolerate that much caffeine. It wouldn't matter what they tried genetically, biologically, they're not able to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was going to mention another friend who has one and if they have two, they get anxiety.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I'll have a second.
Speaker 1: One, I'll be right, and then they just get anxiety and slight, and it's got to be one a day, and it's got to be early. I like, if they have it at midday, they're fucked. If they have it at seven am, they're all right.
Speaker 4: So and of course I can't put everything onto genetics, but I'm almost guessing their genetics.
Speaker 3: And you should never guess genetics because you never know.
Speaker 4: But I would say that person is a slow metabolizer. So there's a phase one enzyme called SIP one A one one A two, and it metabolizes not there's sick one A two is ninety percent of the caffeine.
Speaker 3: So some people are fast or slow that first.
Speaker 4: Enzyme they whiz it through or they're really slow. So if you whiz it through, but the slow metabolizers, it's going through slowly. And then we have another enzyme called compt thattually helps us break down our adrenaline. And then some people are slow at breaking down adrenaline because caffeine causes a bit of cortisol, bit of adrenaline.
Speaker 3: So if you're putting that in, you're slow at the coffee.
Speaker 4: And then you're also slow when it comes to clearing your adrenaline. You're not so good with dealing with the stress. It's all those things. And it's not just genetics. That COMPT that I just told you about. That is the actual enzyme that breaks down adrenaline. It relies on magnesium. You don't have enough magnesium.
Speaker 3: That doesn't work. That's why we give magnesium for stress, big vitamins, all that stuff, all that fun stuff.
Speaker 1: I feel fifteen percent dumber every time I talk to you. But thanks, thanks for that. I'm not sure what you said. I'll have to ask chat GPT you later when I decode it. Now I'm kidding, you're great. Hey, everyone, just remember so June twelve to fourteen, the Reset program Mantra Malulaba jump on the weight list if you want, of course, go to Craig Harper or one word Cragharper dot net and we'll be launching the program officially in a week or two. But what that does is guaranteed, Well, it doesn't guarantee you a spot. It guarantees that you are in first.
Speaker 3: So you don't miss out. So you don't miss out.
Speaker 1: Well, you might because we've only got fifty spots. But I think, like what.
Speaker 2: We know, can I say now? I don't want to say, we've got a fair few people on the waitlist.
Speaker 1: But also what we do know about this stuff is that most times, like nine percent of the people on the weight list don't go through with it.
Speaker 2: Maybe eighty to ninety percent. It varies.
Speaker 1: But I think we're going to have a good time. I'm very excited. Dr Denise. Oh god, I need a new tropic. It's but how I hope that the rest of your night goes okay.
Speaker 2: I hope your brain works.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad we had this conversation because I have such a busy day and I initially didn't have the podcast sladed in here. I am going off to have my LFA, I'm going to have some creatine. This has actually made.
Speaker 3: Me go, yes, this is what I need to get me through the next couple of hours. So thanks for that.
Speaker 1: Just remind me again you think I should have how much a day give or take.
Speaker 4: Elth and I, because you're using it really for the mental clarity, I'd have four hundred milligrams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're not a tracker, are you. You don't track your rem or your deep sleep or anything.
Speaker 2: Nah. No, it would just give me more shit to worry about.
Speaker 1: I just go not fuck it. I would become like a fucking deer in the headlights. I'd just be looking at that shit all day.
Speaker 3: I like it, to be honest.
Speaker 4: The whoop gave me less anxiety because I labeled myself as a bad sleeper.
Speaker 3: And I realize I'm not a bad sleeper anymore. But I've worked on sleep. Oh you know what I have not told you.
Speaker 4: We should have talked about this at the beginning of the podcast. Is getting excited and we're just about to wrap it up after doing the last podcast with you.
Speaker 2: We're not just about to we're wrapping it up.
Speaker 3: After the last podcast. I said to you, I'm a good sleeper.
Speaker 4: I'm perimenopausal, and I'm this and I travel and I'm so amazing, and I work on my sleep. I for the next couple of weeks was waking up at two in the morning, three in the morning, four in the morning, and I was like, what is that?
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 4: Anyway, Everything's back to normal, but isn't it interesting? Just don't get too copy anyone, because then life will just throw something at you. And I don't exactly know what the difference was. I thought I'd nailed this sleep stuff.
Speaker 2: But it's hilarious. That's calm of kicking you in the sleep cycle.
Speaker 3: It was it was like, don't get ahead of yourself. Girl, Like what I was going to say to you.
Speaker 2: Settle down, professor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my whoo.
Speaker 4: I track, and I know that I sleep well most nights but the lth and if you are listening to this and you do like that bit of data, actually see if it works for you. Have it at night, because I do get more deep sleep when I have the LC and and it's nice to be to be able to track these things. If you're not a tracker, just pay attention to how you feel. Like Craig said, feels better with the creteen.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm shutting up now. I can see you looking at me.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you something funny?
Speaker 1: As a host, one of the funniest things that guests say is if you are listening. I'm like, literally, everyone that's listening is listening, and if they're not listening, they won't hear you. So if you are listening, listeners, I love that. Hey, how can people connect with you? Find you? And I feel like you're.
Speaker 2: Too busy to get back to people.
Speaker 3: By god, I'm sorry everyone. I wasn't taking any patients last year.
Speaker 4: I know that there's a lot of people on the wait list, but I'm doing a lot less international travel, focusing on the business. Midyear, I will be trying to open up a little bit. But obviously we've got the retreat and doing a few in person events. So you can look up my name the website and come over to the Facebook group. I'm not doing as much in there, but jump on the email list and see what's happening, or you know, jump on the weight list if you want to come to the Sunshine Coast and see us.
Speaker 3: In person, and if you don't, that's fine, we still love you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also there might be some other stuff happening after the weekend. We'll see.
Speaker 1: We'll talk off air. But you're the best. I'm the second best.
Speaker 3: Chuck out the rest.
Speaker 2: No, we're not choking, thanks tooff We'll see you next time.