Speaker 1: Patrick Jones, Binillo, Tiffany, and Cook. Welcome to another installment the You Project. It's tech Friday. Well it's tech Friday today for us, but you could be listening on Deck Tuesday. How are you, mate?
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 3: I feel like saying happy birthday today, because happy birthday Microsoft. Microsoft officially today is fifty years old.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: That's kind of older than tiff but younger than you and me.
Speaker 1: So Microsoft is who invented Microsoft.
Speaker 2: I should know Bill Gates.
Speaker 1: Oh, Bill Gates. I was going to for a moment thought he was Apple. No, that was Steve Jobs.
Speaker 2: It was Steve Job.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm sorry, I'm not you. That's why we have you.
Speaker 2: That's right. And Paul Allen.
Speaker 3: They developed the software initial software in nineteen seventy five for the l Tair eighty eight one hundred computer. But the big thing was when they released MS DOS to IBM in nineteen eighty and that was that was kind of the way it went. But I think for most people the rise of Windows and Office. So in nineteen eighty five, Windows one point zero was launched and that was to take on Apple, and then Microsoft Office came out of nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 1: Are you an Apple person, either of you.
Speaker 3: Two, I feel like you shouldn't be asking me this question because you know that I'm very anti Apple.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I don't like the way that Apple ecosystem kind of locks you into everything.
Speaker 2: So you know, if you.
Speaker 3: Wanted to drag an MP three file or music file onto your phone, you'd have to go through iTunes to do it, whereas on a you know, an Android phone, you know, you just drag and drop.
Speaker 2: You plug it into your computer and you drag and drop and it's there.
Speaker 3: You don't have Yeah, so I'm a bit more of a fan of an opening, open operating system that let you do more than being locked into the ecosystem. But the flip side to that is, you know, security on the iPhones was always considered to be better. And I remember there was a marketing campaign by Apple quite a few years ago that said Apple computers don't get PC viruses.
Speaker 2: You're right, they don't get PC viruses. They get Apple viruses.
Speaker 3: But the reality is that, you know, Microsoft it has been the dominant operating system, so more people use Windows and use Office. It's used more in a corporate environment. So you know, if you're going to write a computer virus. You're going to write it for the most popular computer system and operating system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you don't have a Mac, I am PC.
Speaker 2: Wow, and she used PC too, That's what I like about TIF.
Speaker 1: Well, we use PC and we are PC. I'm I'm not PC. Let's be honest to go to PC classes. Melissa, Melissa Cameron, she's the She's the fully indoctrinated church of the Cult of the Apples. So she spent the last ten years trying to get me to use a Mac. Yeah, even to the point where she personally wants to buy me one. I'm like, I don't want one, so old school Windows Jumbo.
Speaker 3: I think that it really comes down to what you want to do with that device. You know, Mas are really good at high end processing, and a lot of the film industry uses Max, although it's kind of moving now as well. What makes Apple a really interesting ecosystem is if you want to use the Apple, you know an environment, you have to buy an Apple device, Whereas if you want to use Microsoft so you see, you can buy a Dell Computing p you can buy a proprietary computer build one.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: That's the thing that makes it a lot more accessible is because you're not locked into a single hardware provider, and you know, an iPhone will probably tend to be a lot more expensive for the same thing if you look at a Samsung equivalent, I mean they're all coming up in price now, the pixel, the Samsung, you know, on the Android environment, it's really it's fit for purpose.
Speaker 2: What are you going to do with.
Speaker 3: If you're just going to read emails, you know, do a little bit of typing, use chat jept, then you could probably get a two hundred and fifty dollars Chromebook and not need Microsoft or need to use Apple. You could just get something a lot cheaper. Now, a lot of schools went down that track to try to keep expenses down. They use what they call a Chrome book. Because if you're using an interface like Google's browser based interface, you can you know, all the stuff that I send to you, all those notes that I send to you, I put them all directly into an online cloud based word document that's actually not word it's just using Google Docs. So it means then I can get access to that on my phone wherever I am. So if I start working on that two weeks ago, can be on anybody's computer, log into my account and it's all there. So the whole idea of cloud based processing and cloud based software is what I think a lot of us are now.
Speaker 2: Moving across to as well.
Speaker 3: I use a graphic design package when I'm doing logos and layouts called Correl Draw, and they've just launched their browser based version, and that's pretty amazing because when you think about it, if you wanted to do graphic design work, and that's why Apple's are really good at that sort of high end video editing, you would traditionally have to buy a really expensive three and a half four and a half thousand dollar laptop or desktop machine. But if you're doing the graphic design online using something like Canva or in this case this new release only recently in the last week, Corell launched its own browser based soft you can do high end graphic editing, but it's all being processed at the other end, so you're just using a web interface. You don't need to have the software on your computer because you're just using your browser to access the software.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was a little bit over my head, but I'll just go all right, how.
Speaker 2: Did you go out of ten? Like? How much of it do you reckon? That made sense.
Speaker 4: I used to work in the design industry.
Speaker 5: I used to be a bit Mac based back then and use all of those What I did like about the non you know when when you could just buy the software and do it under a student and then you had it forever and then, and now it's a subscription based and you've got to pay for it all the time.
Speaker 3: I'm still using a really old version of Correll Draw that's twelve years old.
Speaker 2: It just does exactly what I needed to do.
Speaker 3: And I just keep thinking, I'm already paying for the Adobe Suite and it costs me every month, so I'm not going to buy another one. But I only buy the Adobe Sweet for my because he does a lot of our video editing and a lot of that kind of high end stuff because he's got a background in television, so he videos, He does all the video ing and edits all of that on you know, the more high end computer, whereas me, I don't need that sort of.
Speaker 2: Power to do all the editing.
Speaker 3: He can do that in a daybe oldest years Correll Draw twelve year old to Correl Draw, I've just to.
Speaker 4: Make himself a coffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. I was just going to point out that I actually have a student card and I can go and buy whatever it apple at a student the world. When I walk in and flash that, they're like, fuck off, did you steal this from your grandson?
Speaker 4: Are you the principal of the school?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Are you the dean of Monash University? Is your driver outside? Yeah? That's hurtful. Speaking of driving, Patrick, let's start our list. So I'm interested in self driving cars in Australia, whether or not they are going to eventuate.
Speaker 3: Tell us, well, what's your thought process on self driving cars? First and foremost, do you feel like this is a good way to go?
Speaker 2: Is it going to be better?
Speaker 3: Because when I drive into Melbourne and I get the white knuckle driving because I'm not a good driver. I'm a country driver. We don't even have any stop signs in Milan. We just have give way signs to your role of the intersection. Have a look left, have a look right, keep going, there's no traffic lights.
Speaker 2: I love that, But when I get to Melbourne.
Speaker 3: I start to perspire a lot, and my white knuckle driving kicks in and I get really apprehensive, and people drive fast and they cut you off and you know, I like to live a really big gap between me and the car in front of me. So yes, I'm the annoying person that does that when you're trying to get to wherever you're going and want to be there ten milliseconds earlier. But the reality of it is that, you know, all the new technology that's going into cars means that we're going to be safer on the roads, you know, auto breaking, lane assist, all that sort of stuff. But what's what's your take on that? Would you like to be chaffeur driven by your AI Patrick?
Speaker 1: I would be on that shit in a second. I would sit in the passenger seat today. I mean, I do like driving, by the way, but I think, and I could be wrong, your honor. I think the chances of old mate down the road who isn't paying attention while he's behind the steering wheel of his Mazda him crashing into me is far less is far more likely than an autonomous car or a self driving car and me being like, I think, could you imagine how much testing they need to go through. It's already happening in California, by the way, there's self driving cars and taxis. Yeah, I would definitely do it. I would definitely do it. And like think about when I go and visit Ron and Mary, which is four hours of driving, God bless their little socks. I could just sit in the back new fucking meetings, or I could just snooze and then an arm could come out and just gently rub my back when I'm five minutes from their house and go sweety sweety in Patrick's voice, Sweetie, get up, I'm like, ahuck, yeah, just stretch my arms, get out and go and give Mary a cuddle.
Speaker 2: Boom. I'm worried about that electronic garment. What else it's going to be used for?
Speaker 5: Steady on?
Speaker 2: Look, So I'm into that, I think.
Speaker 3: And you know, for people, say who were riding motorbikes, if you had a car that was able to sense a bike rider behind them beside them, that would be so much safer. You know, if you went to go to the next lane and you knew there was a motorbike there, then there's no chance because we know how blind spots are so dangerous, and you know, an accident on a motorbike has an exponential amount of injury compared to having this big tin you know, traption around you so I think it'd be great for bike riders because other cars are autonomous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and think about also from when you think about humans behind steering wells. Humans get tired, humans get distracted, humans lose focus, humans get angry like that. None of those things are issues with autonomous vehicles. Which is not to say they're infallible or they can't. But I mean, just as a me just answering the question, what about you, tip, would you.
Speaker 4: I think I would.
Speaker 5: I think What just jumped into my head though, was thinking of the motorcycles. Is there any scenario where a self driving car could not react the way it needs to if something comes up? So if a motorcycle cuts a car off, can that car read all of the cues it needs to to have the best outcome.
Speaker 2: That's a good question.
Speaker 3: And actually it's interesting because there's a researcher at monash Uni by the name of Professor Stuart Russell, and he did an article on Drive. He was interviewed on Drive and what he's saying is AI is going to be the biggest disruptor to road safety since the seat belt. That's he's been quoted. And what he's saying is autonomous technologies and whether it's a merging breaking real time hasard detection, they're being tested right now. And because it's AI driven, there's that learning component, that ability to be able to adapt because when you've got cameras and a detection system, and you know, the problem with a lot of that is and I see this with my car, and we've heard stories of where there may have been a misreading of a sign.
Speaker 2: You know, my car is pretty smart.
Speaker 3: If I change into a different speed zone, it uses either my GPS or some sort of character recognition to work out what speed the sign is. But with an AI backing to that, you're drawing on a much bigger pool of data. So, in answer your question, TIF, if you're using a much higher kind of integrated AI system, then it's more likely to know how to adapt to those situations when it encounters a motorbike, if a bike rider comes in from middle lane and crosses over in front, it may actually be better than just a pre programmed system because it's always learning and always adapting.
Speaker 1: And you think about the fact, sorry tip, that you know dogs and cats and kids and soccer balls and bikes push bikes. I mean, you know how many kids are going to run across a road or chase the ball or I mean, it's got to be it's got to be programmed to deal with, you know, the unexpected and the unplanned and the unforeseen. Otherwise it wouldn't be functional because it's like a road is not a predictable environment, So it's got to be able to deal with the unpredictable potholes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Jeff, what if their computer controlled What about the the idea that maybe one day then they can be hacked or someone can hack and pre program.
Speaker 4: The car and then cause a deliberate accident.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a real that's actually a really good point and a reality. But that's the case of everything. You know, your temperature controlled thermostat that's connected to Google Home, or the lights or you know, or the power grid that's being run because there's an operating system that might be connected to the Internet as well. It's really hard to know. And I guess the burden is on the developers and legislators to say, well, look, yes, we will allow this to happen, but only if there's very strict guidelines and prerequisites that are in place. We're scrambling at the moment. We are way behind the eight ball with legislation. Legislation is noing near catching up to what technology is being rolled out of the moment, and so if you if you reckon we're saved from hackers, we're not.
Speaker 2: You know, one of the little stories I.
Speaker 3: Was going to talk about later on in the show, we can talk about it now is the hey mum texts. You know, how people are faking getting access to the numbers of children and grandchildren and then using AI to replicate voices or to send a text and say, look, I've just my phone's been damaged or I've dropped it in the toilet, I've got a new number. I'm desperate because I've got to make a payment on the house and if I don't, they're going to kick me out of the house. I don't know what to do, Mum, Can you help me? You know, all those sorts of things, not just the text because the text scam has been around for a while and people are becoming more complacent to it. You've heard about the hey mum texts? You Yeah, so I think.
Speaker 1: You've got to have They suggest that you have either a like a code word patrick or a where your text back can you go, by the way, when's your birthday?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yep, yeah, But well the birthday thing may not be a good one because at the end of the day, it's a lot of us put so much onto social media. If you've got a quick AI algorithm, it could just scan tif social media and check out when her last birthday was.
Speaker 2: You know, it can be smart. That's the scary thing.
Speaker 3: We give so much data away voluntarily that those sorts of questions you really would have to think of something you know quite you know, like I cut off my nipple at a gym one day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's specific. By the way, what was that? It makes me squirm when you bring that up.
Speaker 2: To brig it up. Well, that's something that an AI wouldn't know. But then again, if it listened to all your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you say, which which part of your body did you cut off? Once? And it's never coming up with nipple, is it. There's aboute percent of our audience going, I don't know what they're talking about.
Speaker 2: We're going to have to explain it, aren't we. Sorry for those who have heard it before, Na, it's.
Speaker 7: Always I need to know, all right, Well, I was I was probably with not too much concentration.
Speaker 1: Just I had the scissors out and I was just giving myself a little bit of a curate around the hairy chest region. And and I may or may not have been fully concentrating. Cut off a few hairs around the nipple region and just cut off sliced off the end of my nipple like with scissors, but right off about a millimeter of And fair to say that hurtled alots, didn't Thanks for bringing that that little sucker blood Yeah, no, thanks for bringing that up on International Bloody Podcast.
Speaker 3: It humanizes your club crago, you know. Yeah, when people do stupid things, you.
Speaker 1: Don't think anyone in the world has got me on a pedestal. I don't think there's one person listening to this who thinks too highly of me.
Speaker 2: I don't know they used to, they used up until now.
Speaker 1: Why wood or wouldn't I let Tiff drink from my water bottle? Why is that? At time?
Speaker 3: And that was a question to you, would you let Tiff drink from your water bottle? And I was going to ask Tif the same question. So you take a swig and then you hand it over or vice versa, which.
Speaker 1: You drink a little bit older context. It's not really about Tiff. It's just not something I generally do. But if Tiff and I are out and we've just hyped up Mount Casiosco and there's only one water bottle, well, of course, but in general terms, and it's not about Tiff, it's just you know, fucking girls germs do.
Speaker 2: Though, I'm going to joke to death here. No, look, it was kind of drawing a.
Speaker 3: Really wide bow here because the actual story is more basically focused on me and Tiff. And some vets have started saying that you shouldn't let your dog drink from communal dog bowls. You know, when you walk past cafes and there's a bowl there, and they say you shouldn't do that because there's all these things that dogs can can actually catch. So for all the dog owners out there, and I know it's got nothing to do with tech, but in case you're a dog owner, I saw this story and I just thought, you know, think again before you do a shared dog.
Speaker 1: Bowl, I reckon, before you worry about, you know, drinking water from a bowl, maybe think about you know, not licking your own balls. Maybe if we're worried about germs and shit, let's start and snipping other dogs' asses. Let's get our nose out of the Pooh region and then let's worry about the communal water down the track. My dogs, dogs are just they have their face in everything, all things, germs all the time. Oh look, here's a dead awesome I'll put that in my mouth.
Speaker 3: You know, no one's asked me why I'm wearing a pair of sunglasses on my head.
Speaker 1: Well all right, tell us.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I know backdrop looks like the beach, but because.
Speaker 1: You bought yourself some of those PERV glasses that video record.
Speaker 2: And I borrowed the PERV glasses.
Speaker 3: So when I was in Rome a few years ago with some mates, two of them went into a sunglass place and bought these sunglasses, which I mean, for all intents and purposes, they.
Speaker 2: Just look like normal sunnies, don't they.
Speaker 1: I can see the little cameras top right and left froy only because I'm looking though.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but really you wouldn't notice it. You can take video and steal shots. And the reason I kind of I brought them along so they're just so Tiff could see them as well. Just the fact that they just look like normal sunglasses. That the sides are a little bit wider, a little bit thicker, but when you're wearing them, you just wouldn't know. And it kind of what raises the privacy think because Meta so the company that owns Facebook, which always scares the but Jesus.
Speaker 2: Out of me the things that they do.
Speaker 3: But Meta has working on a thing called Hyperova glasses. So this is the next iteration of these glasses. Now they're going to come with a really big price tag, but they're going to have the ability to have apps and to be able to take high resolution video and still shots, and they'll have a little mini screen that projects on the inside of one of the glasses. So what you'll eventually be able to do is you'll have apps and you'll be able to swipe can you you know, you can imagine seeing someone walking down the street and you think, oh, they're blowing a swiping a fly or something. But what you'll be doing is you'll be controlling the glasses just by hand movements. And look, Mark Zuckerberg is kind of saying he wants to get rid of phones entirely.
Speaker 2: You won't need phones.
Speaker 3: You just have these glasses you put on and the speakers will connect to them. So these things have speed is in them. They're the ones that they're kind of the bone conducting ones, Tiff the ones that I both use. And so you know, you have everything in the glasses. You don't have to worry about anything. You just check them on and off you go. But what about the privacy. I don't know that I would want every single person walking past a park for example. You know, I do a photo shoot for a client recently who wanted to get some photos around town, and they wanted to showcase some of the really nice things. And there's a new water park that they've set up at the here in Beland and it's been really done, very very well. But I had problems getting there to take photos because they kept being kids there. So I wanted to be there when there was a time when there was no one around, because I always feel self conscious. I didn't want to take photos. And even though in a public place, the legality is this, if you walk down the street with these ray bands and you take photos or video, you're allowed to in a public place. You can take video and take photograph uffs and it is not against the law.
Speaker 1: Are you allowed to publish it? Though? Are you allowed to put that online?
Speaker 2: What's stopping you?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm asking is it legal or illegal?
Speaker 2: Well, it's not illegal, No, it's not illegal.
Speaker 3: I mean if we're at a cafe and you just take a photo of Tiff and there are three people in the background, and you put it on social media, your account, well you don't go over to those three people and ask for their consent because they just happen to be sitting at the table behind you. So there are no laws stopping people from using these sorts of devices. But the thing is, if I pick up my phone or I pick up a camera, you know I'm taking a photo. But with these sorts of glasses, they're so subtle. Admittedly, when you're recording, there's a little tiny led that comes on.
Speaker 2: It's a little white light.
Speaker 3: But again, I guess a sharpie could just be painted over if you wanted to. But when they bought them when we were overseas, I just kind of immediately dubbed them the PERV glasses.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't and I certainly wouldn't want to record everything I do every day as I'm walking around.
Speaker 2: That'd be boring.
Speaker 1: And I think also I mean, you know, Okay, so let's say, by the way, I'm pretty sure Apple and Samsung at OL are not too thrilled with his idea about getting rid of phones. But I mean, it's not like a phone is inconvenient, you know. It's like we've got to get to the point where we go, Well, most phones are pretty small. They've got a lot of capability. You know. It's my diary, it's my tracker of my this and that. It's all my apps, it's my appointments, it's my musical EPI center, it's you know, like I don't know that we need and I don't know that I want to be perpetually wearing glasses?
Speaker 2: Will you do anyway? You're wearing them now?
Speaker 1: But I mean everyone, yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 3: But from I mean, I can think of a couple of instances where it would be great not to have the phone on you and to have it all in a pair of sonnies. You know, if you on the beach, ure, if you're going to the gym and you you know, you don't want to have the cumbersome phone with you, then that that would make sense.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe Okay, here.
Speaker 2: He's out, what do you reckon se phone. We're a pair of sunglass.
Speaker 1: I don't think all. I don't think every next thing is necessarily a better thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I just think.
Speaker 1: It's another thing, like is it going to make my life? It's like my friend used to have a BMW in the early It was like an eight years or something like the Burger with the lot and it literally had a remote control patrick like a tele remote control, but little for the for the music and stuff. I'm like, the buttons are six inches away, you know, I'm like, just the most ridiculous, redundant thing of all time. Tell me about perpetual April Fools jokes?
Speaker 2: This is kind of cute. Do you do April Fools jokes?
Speaker 3: The thing that gets me is, I mean I haven't done them for a while, and in fact, I kind of find that you've got to be careful with what you do with April Fool's jokes because you know it can be quite sensitive for people. But do you guys have have you been the victim of or if you ever done in April fools?
Speaker 1: No, I've been a victim of. I mean, but to this point, just quickly, I saw a really interesting and this must have taken some courage and cheap. This lady she was either a teacher or a principal of a school, and she got all the year eleven students And I saw this yesterday online at their school and they had this like this meeting and she said and she basically told them, so next year, twenty twenty six will be their year twelve and they're graduating, right, And she said, I've just learned that there's been a restructure of the final year of whatever they call it VCE, and they said there's now going to be a year thirteen and it starts next year, so I know that you know, moving forward, this is going to be the standard. And unfortunately you guys are the first ones to deal with this, but you'll now be graduating in twenty twenty seven, not twenty twenty six. And they filmed all the kids and it's like a private school. They're all well dressed, and their kids are like, what the fuck, Like they've just gone no, you're not finishing in a year, you're finishing in two years. And it was all very official, and they were all in an auditorium and it was all and I'm like and then basically about two minutes later, she goes nas sucked in. There's cameras around the room filming you. But they all of them were in like, no one went this as bullshit. They all thought it was real.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I've I've done a couple of April full jokes. I don't mind doing them, but I've lessened that maybe I grew up. Oh maybe not. I just haven't done them. But there's a few tech companies and what I was getting about getting back to with the perpetual April fool jokes is when they get published online, then the joke could appear in your feed three or four days later, and that's where it starts to fall over. I mean, companies should be like up for the day, then delete the post. So to give you a great example, I thought this was quite a good one. Adobe came out. Well, there was a suggestion on April Fool's Day that Adobe was going to charge people to have access to the undo button. So when you're working in the Adobe Suite and you make a mistake, you would have to pay to have that feature. So it was an additional feature that came with the paid version.
Speaker 2: So there's a free version, but if you want the undo button.
Speaker 3: You've got to pay for the upgrade, which would give you multiple undos.
Speaker 2: I thought that was kind of fun. That was a bit clever and cute.
Speaker 3: The other one that I thought was really fun was an AI dog translator. So you know they're talking about AI translations for human beings, but now you can translate your with your phone and you can talk to your dog. So you say your command and then it barks that the dog, and the dog understands you, and vice vice versa. That was what I thought was good. But the other one I thought was interesting talking about not being able to speak the language is zoomers.
Speaker 2: Do you know what a zoomer is?
Speaker 1: No, alas reminds me of a boomer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think that's the reason that they came up with the idea of Zoomer. Basically is an informal term for a member of Generation Z or Gen Z, so anybody worn between the ninety nineties and early two thousands. But now they're calling them zoomers, and again I think that's a play on the boomer thing. There's a company called Razor that does some pretty cool gadgets and bits and pieces, keyboards, gaming equipment. They've come out with a skibbety. Now the skibbity it was their April full joke. And what it was it was a headset that you could put on which was the world's first AI powered brain rot translator, and it allowed parents to talk to their kids and translate what their kids were saying, saying what the Zoomers were saying into into real language. And they even did put the translator on their website for the day, which was kind of fine, a bit of a play around with it because I have no idea you know, what what gen Z's or gen Z's say, and they have almost their own language when they talk to each other, particularly the younger kids.
Speaker 1: You sound like an old person.
Speaker 2: Now I do.
Speaker 1: Bloody Elvis presently came out gyrating his hips. My god, it's the nation coming to with his provocative dancing. But what would be very cool, especially for you two, is imagine if I guess it could happen, but imagine if they did develop a program or an app that interpreted your dog and you could talk to it like literally. I mean, I don't know if it would be the equivalent of English, but how cool would that be if you could, you know, have a conversation with your dog.
Speaker 2: If what would you ask your dog? What's the one question that you would ask?
Speaker 5: Luna or I have full conversations with her, so I'd just keep having them.
Speaker 4: But yeah, i'd know the answers.
Speaker 1: What if she understood you, though, and she could clearly give you an answer to a question. That's a pretty good question, Patrick, you know what i'd ask Tiff. I think it's hard to answer, though.
Speaker 3: I'd say to Fritz when I went visiting a friend recently at her house, I would say to him, why did you feel the need to piss in my friend's backyard? Forty times? I counted, right, So Luna and Walter would playing running around the backyard of a friend's place. And what was Fritz doing. He was just lighting up and market his territory. And I thought, you know, forty it was over.
Speaker 5: Forty Yeah, not exaggerating on the number it was for it was forty times.
Speaker 1: Well, wouldn't he just go? I was just letting everybody know that that's mine.
Speaker 2: Everything, everything was his.
Speaker 3: In fact, none of us, we were all concerned about sitting still for too long because I reckon you could.
Speaker 2: End up being marked as well. It was outrageous, like the Fritz.
Speaker 1: Can I ask a veterinary question? Okay, has Fritz still got his nads? No?
Speaker 3: I got him when he was two and a half and he'd already been for a visit to the vet.
Speaker 2: So no, he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Oh that that's because often I think that's more I've got testicles and I'm a fucking alpha dog kind of behavior.
Speaker 2: Nah.
Speaker 3: No, I've had two boy dogs, both of whom had no jets crackers, and they both lifted their legs. Although Walter doesn't seem to do that now that I think of it. The other whippet that we played with.
Speaker 4: Lose it, does it a little bit?
Speaker 2: I'll see. There you go. So that's good.
Speaker 4: She's didy percent dude as well, like her mum.
Speaker 5: Blocks of back up to a tree and kind of cock one leg up and pretend she's a bloke for a moment.
Speaker 1: What that's hilarious? Patrick? Am I wasting characters when I type?
Speaker 2: Look? Okay, I kind of wasn't sure.
Speaker 3: I started writing this two weeks ago and I noticed that I did something, and I started asking people if they do the same thing.
Speaker 2: So this is a very personal.
Speaker 3: Weird trait that I have and I think it's a bit OCD. So you know, when you're typing something out and you realize you need to change a word, I don't like to erase the whole word.
Speaker 2: I like to just erase the characters.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to use because I don't want to waste the characters, and I didn't add the characters I want to use.
Speaker 2: Does that actually make sense?
Speaker 1: I actually think that's That's a bit strange, isn't it. You need some therapy.
Speaker 3: I think there are other people who do it, because I did ask around, and one person I spoke to did say that they understood what I meant and that that's what they do. I just feel bad for the characters that are getting deleted.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, I can't believe you put that as a topic on the list.
Speaker 2: She used to know if anybody else does it?
Speaker 1: Aw, Come on, you do that?
Speaker 2: You've never thought about that?
Speaker 3: That that poor word that you just typed out, and now you're just going to delete it?
Speaker 1: Are you anthropomorphizing letters very much?
Speaker 2: And words?
Speaker 1: Oh my god? Tell us why they're setting teslas on fire in Rome?
Speaker 2: Look?
Speaker 1: This is not only Rome, by the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I'm not shouldn't be laughing, because there's thought that as many as seventeen Teslas were destroyed when a fire broke out earlier this week, So depending on when you're listening to this, but it wasn't that long ago and they're investigating, but they do feel that it was deliberately lit, which meant that it was a kind of knee jerk reaction to what's going on in the United States with Elon Musk and you and all.
Speaker 2: The bad press that he's been getting.
Speaker 3: And also I think that Elon Musk is mates with the Italian Prime minister, so there's also because there was some more vandalism in the town that the Italian Prime Minister comes from, so I think that may have been And yeah, I don't know what the backstory is, but there's more and more of this going on. And I kind of feel sorry for Tesla owners because when you thought of a Tesla driver, you thought, what a greenie good on your mate. You've gone and spent that much money because you want to save the planet, and now you know, I do feel for people who went out and spent a lot of money buying an electric car, think and they would doing the right thing, and now they feel a bit maligned, a bit like I've got two I should talk to.
Speaker 2: Them about whether they feel embarrassed now.
Speaker 1: Also, by the way, if you're going and committing a criminal act and defacing someone's car or burning someone's car is your version of protecting the planet, you're a fucking idiot.
Speaker 3: Well I think that just a reaction to Elon must know what I was saying is that Tesla drivers bought their Teslas because they were saving the planet.
Speaker 2: No, I know.
Speaker 1: But what I'm saying is people are still going out. I mean burning cars that people already have bought, or cars in dealerships. I mean that's hurting a lot more people than just Elon Musk. Like, that's a very slow road to get to hurt Elon Musk if that's your own goal, yeah, I mean a lot of other people on the way.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Financially, all the thing is it just means insurances are going to go up, and it has that overflow effect to everybody. If suddenly, you know, Tesla's are being vandalized, well they're going to be go back to the insurance company and get them repaired, and as a consequence, all their insurances are going to go up because They always go up, don't they.
Speaker 1: One of the one of the websites or one of the services that has been of interest to me has filed for bankruptcy, which is twenty three and Me, which is there, like the genetic database, you find out who your family tree and your lineage are. They're gone or.
Speaker 3: They're going under, mate, they've gone under now they're they're gone.
Speaker 2: They're gone.
Speaker 3: And the concern now is what's going to happen to the database because twenty three and Meter one of those genetic text texters texters testers, that's right. So you do y, spit in this test tube or whatever, and then you send it off and they come back with whether you're you know, half of Viking and the other half is something else loves to be a Viking?
Speaker 2: Would you yeah?
Speaker 1: How good would that be?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind of, But I guess you've probably got more chance of being a Viking than I have. I don't know, but yes, it is kind of cool. And I think when we get older we take more of an interest in our ancestry. I certainly did you know. When I was a kid, I couldn't give a rats. But as I've traveled more and i've visited the country where my parents came from, to Malta, and you know, you kind of get impressed by the fact that's this little tiny rock and the Mediterranean and so resilient. Over the years, you know, people have tried to invade it, and the Germans tried to bomb the crap out of it, as did the Italians, and the fact that it withstood.
Speaker 2: The might of you know, those evil powers.
Speaker 3: You know, you do feel a sense of well, I hope that resilience kind of rubs off a little bit. But the concern with this is that there are millions of people out there who have their genetic data that now could potentially get sold off to a third party, and there is no way of knowing what's going to happen to it once it's gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's concerning if do you know anything about your lineage, anything about your your family tree or your origin story.
Speaker 2: Not really.
Speaker 5: I think Dad, if I had a chat to Dad, I think he did a bit of digging around recently.
Speaker 1: So I think a lot of us Ossie's who've been around here for a generation or two or three came from England or Scotland or Ireland or I know my on Mom's side, irish as fuck.
Speaker 3: So you know tif Craig's family trees a cactus.
Speaker 4: That was hurtful.
Speaker 2: The thing, Jake, I could think of that.
Speaker 1: Now, what I'm going to do is just going to go okay.
Speaker 2: And just die a little inside.
Speaker 5: You know, I just thought of ron and Mary when you said that.
Speaker 3: I see, now you make me feel really bad teasing Crago but Ronin, Yeah, they're lovely.
Speaker 1: I think you made yourself feel bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did make myself feel bad.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I'm not going to respond to that with similar energy.
Speaker 2: I'm just that makes you the better man. It does.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say thank you. Patrick. Tell me about the Melbourne Animal Hospital trials or trials iPads for cats, Like it's an interesting pology and cats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, because we're trying to get kids off technology, but let's put kittens on iPads. So the Lord Smith Animal Hospital is doing a trial at the moment. So it's got fifty cats and at their campbell Field adoption center and what they're finding is obviously stimulating these cats is really difficult when you've got lots of cats all you know, waiting to be adopted and you can't spend as much time as you need to with the animals. So they're trialing out iPad with pictures with birds fluttering around and all that sort of stuff, and it seems like they're getting really good success with the animals being less stressed because they're being you know, stimulated more, which is really nice. But I thought that was kind of interesting that they're putting iPads to good use. And you wouldn't want to give one to Fritz because he'd piss on it. But aside from that, I think for the cats it's a great idea.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you to a dog question?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: Well no, I think it's dog tech related, so it's loosely related to what you talk can don't laugh at me? This might be a stupid question because dogs don't see the way we see, right, and they have a different color spectrum and all of that. Can they see images clearly on television?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like do they see what we see? Because it seems like you know when people dog crazy dog people kind of call their dog call home and then they want to talk to the dog on fucking FaceTime. The dog doesn't know what the fuck's going on, does it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's an interesting one.
Speaker 3: I know that I don't know about Luna, but Fritz doesn't seem to react at all to what's going on on the screen, more so to the sound if there's a combulence goes past, because he'll start howling. If he hears an ambulance or a police scar, his ears break up at the sound. I mean, they can see, and you know, sometimes people turn TVs on to keep their dogs company when they're not home.
Speaker 2: Does Luna react at all, tiff.
Speaker 5: No, but sometimes if I would turn the TV and watch it, there sits on the bench in front of the TV and then tries to bat things that she can see on the TV.
Speaker 4: That's really annoying. Oh, he responds to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it depends on the animal, but it certainly dogs see the world mostly through their noses because they have an amazing sense of smell.
Speaker 2: But that said, they do have good vision. You know, most dogs have reasonable vision.
Speaker 3: I think they would have no problem seeing a TV screen and what's going on. Maybe they're just not fooled because of the depth perception thing, you know, because it's a flat screen and things are there.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe they because it's not in three D maybe you need to get three D glasses and then dry luder and see if see if you.
Speaker 4: Then they would know because the smell anyway.
Speaker 8: Yeahsion, Oh sorry, Weed, that was quite funny.
Speaker 2: That was a thing TIF that smell of Vision was a theme. What you don't know about smell vision? Oh no, it was a marketing thing.
Speaker 3: And what would happen is you get a coupon in the mail and at certain times during the program you were watching, you scratched it like a scratchy ticket and it would have a smell. It was smell of Vision.
Speaker 4: Wow, we've come a long way.
Speaker 1: Patrick, Yeah, tell me, tell me what Studio Ghibli is.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, so have you. It's an amazing.
Speaker 3: You know cartoon production company in Japan that it's probably best known for movies like Spirited Away, but they have this most unique way of presenting movies in animations in a most beautiful way. So this style is really really, really specific to this particular production house. They've put out, you know, dozens and dozens of these movies over the year and they are magical to watch. You know, Studio Ghibli is renowned and now chat GBT has come out with this effectively Studio Ghibli generator where you can upload a photo of your cat or Craig sitting at a cafe and it will mimic the style of the Studio gibly, you know, cartoon. And what you've got to realize too with Studio Ghibli is every scene is hand made, hand painted, right, so all their cartoons are meticulously crafted. These are individual works of art that then get turned into a movie. And this is where it's become really interesting because even though they're doing these AI copies of these cartoon style, there seems to be just a little bit of a little bit missing and it's intangible.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: You look at them and you think, oh, yeah, it could be, but it seems to be lacking. And I reckon there's going to be a pushback to this, you know, I would love to know. I mean, I don't have lots of expensive art work, but I've been really lucky over the years that friends have gifted me paintings that they've made. Your father, does you know your dad made some amazing ron was great at painting, you know, he picked up painting later in life, didn't it.
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 1: He always visualating officially, Ye, No, he was very talented artistically. So he was always designing and drawing because he was originally back in the days when they would call them a window dresser and they oh, yeah, that's yep. But back in the days when like he worked for Maya and George's and he was the what was the creative something director for Meya Australia. Like he was, so he could draw anything. But in terms of actually painting on canvas, yeah, he started when he was in his fifties and he was straight away awesome at it, which is and I think he entered like five or six competitions and he won everything he entered, so he was very I don't have that talent, but yeah, but it's it's really interesting, this Patrick, because there's this this point now where creativity, this natural ability to write beautifully or to paint beautifully, or to design a cover, or to produce a film with actors and lights, camera action and all, and you know, pretty soon they're going to be able to produce or even now you know, stuff which is comparable to look at or to experience as a as a viewer or as a listener or as a reader, to look at something which for the average punter as close to indistinguishable, and I wonder if over time, you know, we'll go, oh, remember when people used to actually design, you know, like where architects would sit at a drawing board with like pens and pencils and rulers and shits, you know where that will be a thing that used to happen in the old days, and it won't exist anymore. I think that's that's part of what's coming.
Speaker 3: I can understand a skill like drafting, doing the basic drawing, having the ability to then have a you know, a layer program, a design program then negated the need to have a drafter, so that the term drafting doesn't really exist anymore.
Speaker 2: Someone who's a typesetter.
Speaker 3: A typesetter was a person who physically laid the lead letters the whole newspaper. Could you imagine having to put every single letter in place for an entire newspaper for it to be able to be printed. And of course now typesetting doesn't exist because it's all done.
Speaker 2: By word processes. I get where you're coming from.
Speaker 3: I just feel that's a little bit different to having the human touch that it's interesting. The brains or the creative genius behind studio gibli is heyo Mayazaki, and he wasn't responding specifically to this story, but he's been known to have said that he's condemned aiart, saying that it's an insult to life itself.
Speaker 7: So this is this.
Speaker 3: Amazing creative genius, and I can that a piece of his soul would be ripped out if you've spent your entire career crafting this amazing visual, this style that's beautiful to look at. I mean, and if you've not seen a studio Ghibli movie, if you've not seen Spirited Away or anything, do yourself a favor.
Speaker 2: And look it up and watch it. Just go to YouTube and watch a clip.
Speaker 3: But if you can sit down and watch the whole movie, it's just so amazingly beautifully crafted. And I get why someone like that would feel so demoralized at people taking his style, stealing his style which was so unique, and just applying it and putting it on social media. I get that it cheapens. It, it cheapens. What is something that's donning?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the boy have you heard there? It is? There's a movie on I think it's on on Netflix. You would love it. Patrick, It's such a you thing. Maybe maybe not, but for our no, it's like this. There's a guy called I think it's Charlie Mackazy who wrote a book called The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse. Oh. It's such a youth thing and listeners like goes thirty four minutes. It's a cartoon, yep, and it's all hand drawn by him, and he's got this cult following worldwide and he's just this very loving, compassionate, empathetic British I think he's British author. His name is Charlie macassey and yeah, it's it's like it's I started watching it and then like the first five minutes I'm like, oh, come on, like it's got to be it's got to be more, you know. And then I went, no, I'm the problem. And then I just I just laid on my bed and watched it. And I've now watched it three times.
Speaker 2: I fucking love it.
Speaker 1: There's so much wisdom and it's so gentle and it's so beautiful and it's like, yeah, it's it's great. It's called The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse. So and you can watch a trailer on YouTube if you want, but you would love it, Katie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh no, I was looking at it now and I'm just seeing that he's obviously used a brushwork. Even for the text, he's used a brunt. It does look gorgeous. It really looks fantastic.
Speaker 1: We've got to wind up, unfortunately. Tell people how they can connect with you, my friend.
Speaker 3: We can get to websites now, dot com, dot au. We do marketing stuff like that, websites as the name suggests, I guess, doesn't it. Anyway, give us a call talk tech and you know, if anybody has questions or a particular topic that they want us to talk about Crago, we can do that too. So if you want to message me at websites noow dot com today, more than happy to answer any questions.
Speaker 1: Or you could go on top of that, or in instead of that, you could go to the you project Facebook page. You could do that either or do both and then we'll both get a message. And yeah, that's a good idea, mate. So anything that you would like Patrick Twix's law or talk about, or even if you've got a very specific to yourself question, there's a fair chance other people want to know the answer to that particular question as well.
Speaker 2: So thank you Patrick, Thanks TIV, Thanks lads, thanks to let so y'all,