Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Tuesday, June twenty four, twenty twenty five. Iran's promised retaliation against the US has begun with missile strikes on a US military base in Qatar.
Speaker 2: But Iran gave.
Speaker 1: Advance warning of the strikes and there are no reports of casualties. Were Australia's super secret spy bases involved in America's strike on Iran?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Probably so.
Speaker 1: Why is Australia throwing a diplomatic wet blanket over President Donald Trump's moment of military might?
Speaker 2: Today?
Speaker 1: Our foreign affairs and defense experts on what really goes on between the US and Australia and what they expect from US next. This is a joint facility of the highest importance, not only to the safety of both the United States and Australia, but also to the alliance between US. I got out tack amid the ghost gums and red sands.
Speaker 2: On the fringe of.
Speaker 1: The Simpson Desert, there's a US space surveillance station that has sparked a million conspiracy theories.
Speaker 2: Pine Gap.
Speaker 1: That audio you just heard was the trailer from a Netflix series called Pine Gap Full of Spies and Lies, and the real base, jointly operated by Australia and the US, does well a whole lot of secret stuff. It provides early warning of ballistic missile attacks as well as gathering intelligence from satellite communications. It's been reported in the past to be assisting the US and its allies in guiding missile attacks, but the government won't say if Pine Gap or our other joint US base at Northwest Cape, which is used to communicate with US nuclear submarines, aided in the weekends monster US attack on Iran's nuclear facilities, but you could probably guess yes, US subs did launch Tomahawk missiles at Iran, and the US's globe spanning stealth bomber attack relied on precision guiding systems that rely on obviously satellites.
Speaker 2: Assemble.
Speaker 4: We have to know what really happened and why the game.
Speaker 3: The trouble and the Australians. Then this air of mystery around what these facilities do is necessary.
Speaker 1: Ben Packham is the Australian's Foreign Affairs and Defense correspondent.
Speaker 3: You know, it does allow the imagination to run wild, but that's just the way it is we need these facilities. It's you know, we're very lucky that we have the benefit of US intelligence and we should not do anything to undermine that.
Speaker 1: The Greens and others spent Monday demanding to know exactly what Australia's facilities did to assist.
Speaker 5: Well, we don't talk about intelligence matters, but we confirm, of course that this was a unilateral action by the United States.
Speaker 2: So was your government briefed prior to the attack?
Speaker 5: This was unilateral action taken by the United States. This was unilateral action taken by the United States.
Speaker 3: He spoken to President Donald Trump since the.
Speaker 1: Seventh Summit No On Sunday, as news broke of these strikes, Donald Trump was very, very proud of what the US military had achieved. His Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth came out on Sunday evening Australian time echoing that pride. And yet the Australian government really wasn't saying anything except for a statement calling for dscal and dialogue and diplomacy. How do those two things line up? Ben On one hand, we are increasingly involved and increasingly interoperable with the US military, and on the other hand, the Australian government's response to this triumph of American military might, as they see it, was to put a wet blanket over the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, this was quite an interesting move and I think it does reflect where things are at between Australia and the US at the moment. You know, this is really, I think a reflection of the very cautious approach that we've seen from the government in its response to what's been going on in the Middle East of late but also to the Trump administration, and I think it's very deeply rooted in domestic politics. Labor really got a big boost at the election from its sort of implicit linking of Donald Trump and the Coalition. You know, it didn't really see inter many words, but the message was clear that we don't want American style healthcare and trying to really pin Peter Dutton as a sort of all the way with Donald Trump kind of guy. Now, Anthony Ebenezi has been sort of boxed in by this approach in many ways. He's yet to have a meeting with Donald Trump, and the longer that goes on, that is really sort of becoming a problem because those leader level ties really matter. Anthony Ebenezi did not rush to Washington as some other leaders did following Donald Trump's inauguration. He really sort of held back, reaped the rewards of that really at the election, and now finds himself in a position where he's really got to meet with Trump, who skipped a meeting with him at the G seven without so much as a phone call. Others including Lourendra Modi and Mexico's president got that phone call to say sorry, I couldn't meet you. You know, let's do it another time. You know, he's really kind of on the outer at the moment, and the sort of response that the government gave initially to the Iran strikes really isn't helping now. The government came out on Monday morning and it appeared through gritted teeth, expressed support for what had happened, but it was a very sort of cranky, terse press conference. We are not in the tent in the US and this is a growing problem. I mean in the past. You know, if you think of Scott Morrison, I mean Scott Morrison would have been out immediately. You would have thought we didn't get a heads up about what was going to happen on Sunday morning. But Keirs Dahmer did, for example, Britain's Prime minister. Did you know, It's really hard to think of an Australian Prime minister in the past that would not have received that sort of a full warning of that kind of military action, you know, going back to like as far back as Whitlam, you know, with the dark days of the Alliance under the Whitlam and Nixon governments, where there was quite a degree of mistrust on the US's behalf in Australia.
Speaker 1: So why so grumpy Ben? You couldn't argue that Australia was on the side of the Ayatolas in Iran?
Speaker 2: Why so hesitant and so groucy.
Speaker 3: It's emblematic of the caution. The government is a very left wing government. It's taken a pretty hardline stance on the war in Gaza, but really what happened in Iran it's a lot different. No one wants Iran to get nuclear weapons, certainly not in Australia, and the Uranian diaspra vehemently opposed to the regime. So you know, it's not like there's this base for the Mulas in Australia, like there is for the Palestinians in Gaza, for example.
Speaker 1: Coming up, Anthony Albanezi wants a meeting with Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Is that a good idea?
Speaker 1: Anthony Albanezi says he wants a meeting with Donald Trump, but there's a risk that could spiral out of control, as we've seen with previous Oval Office meetings.
Speaker 2: He's been I.
Speaker 3: Mean, the longer it goes that, the more risky it becomes. And you know, all of this is happening against the backdrop of the defense funding debate. The US has issued a clear call for Australia to lift its defense bending to three point five percent. I mean, I think they'd probably be happy with three percent, but at the moment we are two percent, and the government's been quite cranky again about these calls to lift that. At the same time, we are asking the US to give us their crown jewels in the US Virginia class submarines and the nuclear propulsion technology that's going to need to go into the future, Orchest class submarines. So that's sort of very hard to sustain if we are not coming to the party and at least trying to show them that we are willing to do what they want.
Speaker 1: The France Christian Amiot asked the Australians famously blunt foreign editor Greek Sheridan for his take, Trump is quite right.
Speaker 4: To ask us to do better. We need to do better in our own interests. As every single expert commentator, everybody the Albanezi government has commissioned to give them advice on defense, they've all said the same thing. Our defense budget is grossly inadequate, and Albanesi is going to somehow or other try to slide through an appointment with Trump winge about tariffs, beg him to keep going with orcus and also promise not to do anything more in our own behalf on defense. I think the gods have smiled on Albanesi and not arranging an appointment with Trump. It's embarrassing because it shows that Trump has no regard for him, but it's probably beneficial because I don't see how Alberze could get through that appointment without dealing with some of these contradictions. And now the Middle East would make that even worse because if he was at a joint press conference, the journalists would say, mister Trump, do you think Australian defense spending is adequate? And then they'd say, mister Alberenesi, do you think America did the right thing by bombing Iran? Those two questions alone could cause Alberesi more grief than he's had in the last four years from the opposition. So as I say, I think he's lucky to be a small target, but I don't think it's the stable for Australia's strategic position to be that the Prime Minister adopts the fetal position and hopes the American President doesn't notice he's alive.
Speaker 1: Greek Sheridan is The Australian's Foreign editor and Ben Packham is our Foreign affairs and Defense correspondent. We've got reporters around the world and experts analyzing every move in this swirling global story. For all the latest, join our subscribers at the Australian dot com dot au