Speaker 1: High Scrollers is produced on gadigul Land.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this country. An elder's past and present.
Speaker 1: Always was, always will be Aboriginal Land.
Speaker 3: We interrupt your usual programming for this special High Scrollers bulletin.
Speaker 2: Right, we're jumping straight into this main episode you heard. I've just found out apparently when you order fish and chips at seafood places in Australia, it's actually.
Speaker 1: Shark, almost commonly shark.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm sure you can order shark at a fish and chip shop.
Speaker 4: Like, there's no denying that.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that if I order a fish cocktail, you are both telling me that it is probably shark.
Speaker 1: That's what I've heard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've heard it.
Speaker 2: But like gay Jay's like adamant that it is that fish cocktails are shark. Do people know this? Do you know that? Like, do people know that when they're ordering this?
Speaker 1: So I've just looked it up on chat GBT. Everyone's gonna hate that.
Speaker 5: So chat Jabt says in Australia, if you order flake from a fish and chip shop, So, first of all, I've never seen.
Speaker 4: Flakes, but I think.
Speaker 1: So you're usually eating shark.
Speaker 5: Traditionally, flake refers to species like gummy shark and school shark. These sharks are small, mild tasting, boneless and have been a fish and chip a fish and chip staple for decades. However, if you order fish and chips without specifying flake, you might get shark, barramundy, hockey, blue grenadier, flathead, whiting or other local fish depending on the shop.
Speaker 1: So it's not true that.
Speaker 5: Most fish and chips in Australia are shark, but it is true that one of the most iconic fish and chip options is shark.
Speaker 4: Iconic I think that's chatchbt just speaking of one.
Speaker 1: In fact, a lot of Australians grew up eating shark.
Speaker 4: Why would it be iconic?
Speaker 5: It just says, fun fact a lot of Australians grew up eating shark without realizing it.
Speaker 6: You can kind of tell with the consistency and like I almost want to say it's called flake because it's like almost like flaky, you know that you know.
Speaker 1: You eat it's got like a grass color on it, but it.
Speaker 4: Kind of just like flakes offt do you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Like that's what the layering of the layering of like the meat is like that I'm making that up.
Speaker 4: But that's what I feel like, you know what I mean? Yeah, i'd say the majority of it is like I also wondering to let me just look up what a flake looks like?
Speaker 2: So flake, fish and chip, because my thing is, is this a case of potato scullletted potato cake?
Speaker 4: What's the potato cake?
Speaker 1: That's what they call it.
Speaker 2: What they call it in Melbourne, I think maybe at late as well they call it potato cakes, whereas we call it potato scallops.
Speaker 6: Okay, this is exactly what I'm thinking of this fish here. I've looked at flake. It looks like the fish on his flakes of itself. That's the type of fish I'm thinking of that. I'm like, yeah, that's the shark that I'll leave the fish.
Speaker 4: And chip shop.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But okay, so now we're getting into muddy territory because the way you two came in bulling a China shop. Yes, all fish in fish and chip shops in Australia is shark. Well no, that's not the case at all. If you order the specific fish that is flaky and probably called flake. I just don't think we have the standards I mean, look, we spoke about the seafood the other day that no one's gonna be like, our fish is shark, and it not be somewhere.
Speaker 6: Fish because they'll have the name of the fish. But if it's just if they just say fish and chips, it could shark.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I don't think that's right.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe next time you go to fish and chip shop, everyone and you're ordering it, and you order fish and chip, ask what is this kind of fish?
Speaker 4: Actually? Does anyone who listens work in a fish and chip shop?
Speaker 2: Take c I'm jumping in scrollers right now. I'm going to say, anyone work in a fish and chip shop and we can call you right this second. Yeah, in the Instagram. I just found some research though, So I'm gonna write this in the in the chart and then hopefully we get someone.
Speaker 4: This is the problem.
Speaker 2: Shark on the menu at fish and chip shops despite being deemed threatened species. So one hundred and twenty five flake samples were taken from takeaway outlets across South Australia. That's what makes me think that like flake is on the menu in South Australia. In fact, I'm going to update scrollers and say bonus points if you live in South Australia.
Speaker 4: Two people have said yes already, Okay, can you message one of them? Yeah, I'm messaging.
Speaker 1: I'll off this research that we're going to call someone.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm on the case because this said research by the University of Adelaide lized flake filet sold by more than one hundred outlets across Adelaide and regional South Australia, identified barely a quarter as the non endangered gummy shark. Instead, four threatened species were identified. So again, Google girl, gay j Sorry, oh my god, sorry, it's just like in my blood.
Speaker 4: To say that.
Speaker 2: But four threatened species were identified. So five minutes ago when you went no, I don't think the threatened species are getting sold. Well, the research says otherwise, including the short fin maco and smooth hammerhead. Yeah, the hamaheads there go and over six months feoth finned though, is that endangered?
Speaker 4: Oh you just said short.
Speaker 2: Smooth hamm ahead, Yeah, got the number here, Hello, my darling, good, how are you?
Speaker 4: This is so random? I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: You run the part, you run the broadcast, and you're happy to be on the podcast and answer some question for us.
Speaker 4: Of course, okay, perfect, it's Hannah, isn't it?
Speaker 7: Sure is?
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: So we are having a bit of a debate here because gay Jay and Brittany have just brought to my attention that in fish and chip shops in Australia, when you order fish and chips, if you just go up to the counter and say hello, can I get fish and chips, the fish is actually shark. And we're doing some research to see whether that is the truth or not. Do you know the answer?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's we have variations of it. We have flathead, but our actual flake is shark.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: So what is the difference though, Like if I come in and go, hey, can I just get fish cocktails? Like is that flake? Or do I have to specifically say hey can I have the flake? And then I'll get the shark?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you'll have to specify. So our flat head is crumbed and our flake is battered?
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: And if someone just says can I have fish and chips? Do they get given the shark?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Ye oh.
Speaker 4: Sorry I said that, God, and you said I was wrong for saying that. Wow.
Speaker 2: You So if someone just comes in and says, hey, can I get fish and chips?
Speaker 4: They'll be getting shark. See.
Speaker 2: My thing is, Hannah, I don't think Australians know that. Do you think Australians know that?
Speaker 4: I don't really No, No, I don't think anybody knows that.
Speaker 2: Well to people, well yeah, well Brittany and gay Jay both knew that that was the case, and I am shocked by it.
Speaker 4: So we're doing the research.
Speaker 2: We're going to call a couple more people and corroborate the stories and make sure that everybody's.
Speaker 4: Telling the truth. But thank you so much for coming on the pod and clearing that up for us.
Speaker 1: Hannah, Love you, Hannah, love you.
Speaker 4: Thanks for being a scroller, and we'll talk to you soon. Darl Bye bye. I have a good day.
Speaker 1: Okay, next person.
Speaker 2: Go get on it. Okay. So this is this is what I'm saying Australia.
Speaker 4: I see, I don't know. I don't think Australian knows Monique. Oh, this is Monique gorgeous. You'll have to when you edit this, by.
Speaker 1: The way, you got to do this thing.
Speaker 4: Oh no, we're on anyway. Hello.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I was just about to give you my name and email and address and everything. Old and get through security. You've got high security on your phone.
Speaker 4: Love Monique. Yes, okay, this is Monique. Yes.
Speaker 2: Sorry, we're calling a few different people, so I was just double checking Monique. Are you happy to be on the podcast before we proceed?
Speaker 7: I am.
Speaker 4: I'm a classroom teacher and the bell is about to go.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, we'll be as quick as possible. So you have worked in a fish and chip shop before? Okay, so the deal is Brittany and Gaje have just told me that when you order fish and chips in Australia you are actually getting shark.
Speaker 4: Is that the truth? Correct?
Speaker 1: So our standard fish is actually hake, but we do so well we used to sell sharks.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, But if I come in and say, hey, can I just get fish and chips?
Speaker 4: Are you serving me shark? Or do I have to specifically ask for the flake?
Speaker 6: Have to specifically ask?
Speaker 3: But normally our standard fish is hake or flake?
Speaker 2: Okay, but no have to ask for shark. What's the difference between hake and flake?
Speaker 5: Sorry?
Speaker 7: Flake is think it is a shark, but hake is standard cheapest fish on the market.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, great, great, great.
Speaker 1: All right, well maybe it depends on the fish and.
Speaker 4: Okay, fabulous all right, we're getting to the bottom of this. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'll let you go because the bell is about to ring. But thank you Manique for giving us an answer.
Speaker 4: There, good day, bye bye.
Speaker 2: Sorry had to let her go, but that's good because yes, back now here we go.
Speaker 4: You're going I told you and you said I was wrong. As this is why we do.
Speaker 2: We conduct more than one phone call and we will hopefully get a third one.
Speaker 1: It really comes down to the fish and chip shop.
Speaker 2: Yes, because I think that the this has told us a lesson that we should be asking more questions.
Speaker 4: At a fish and chip shop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should be doing more research at the fish and chip shop because I think if Australians knew or even thought or it was considered that they were eating shark, that in my brain I go, like, I meant.
Speaker 6: To ask, how like if people know we need a yes or no to see if people know that they're getting shark.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll do it after Yeah in a poll.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are we calling one more person?
Speaker 4: Someone says I could pretend that I do chips.
Speaker 2: No, but I think that's I think I think we need a third one to like verify. But I'm very happy with the research because what's not what's happened is is, yes, we know now that there is shark. Now the first people, the first one was because that's the other thing is I go, wouldn't shark be more expensive than a fish? And she was saying that hake is that what she was calling it, Monique, hake is like the cheapest fish on the market. Like, that's what I would assume is in a fish cocktail if I'm ordering fish cop it's just cheap, the cheapest fish, like, and I would assume shark might be more expensive because I'm thinking how many sharks are there compared to how many fish? Surely there's heaps more fish in the ocean than sharks. Don't you think I'm going to go google?
Speaker 4: Anyone googled? You googles?
Speaker 6: Oh my god, has anyone DMed you numbers? Because I haven't got no anymore yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I'm triple checking. No, it's the jury is still out.
Speaker 2: I forgot to ask where they were from, because I also think it's one of those things where South Australia it's all shark, you know what I mean? And then New South Wales no you have to request flake. I think it's one of those things where it might just be state to state, it's a bit different. And as we said, that new seafood regulations that we spoke about that was New Southwest specific, so like different places might have different customs on how they do things. But I think in a sense we're both right.
Speaker 6: Because you said no shark is You're no, there's no way there's even shark, and I was like, they definitely are.
Speaker 2: It's not as fish and chips, like, not as a fish cocktail.
Speaker 4: If I go in and say fish cock.
Speaker 5: I reckon, you'd be surprised about how often that would be shark When you say, can I have a fish cocktail?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, thank god I don't eat fish, so I don't have to worry about that. But I'm worried for Australia. I don't think Australia realizes that when they're ordering fish cocktails, they're ordering shark.
Speaker 4: Well, a shark should be on shark is a fish? Oh a shark? That's like fucking that's not right. That's like saying a pigeon is chicken. It's all taste the same, like a bird.
Speaker 6: It's a type of bird, just like a shark's different type of fish, but you wouldn't need a pigeon.
Speaker 4: You don't know that, you know what I mean? Yeah, but like we eat a magpie?
Speaker 2: If you went in a magpie, actually you can no listen because this is the thing.
Speaker 4: If I went in to the kebab shop and I said.
Speaker 2: Hello, I'll get a chicken hellal snack pack place chicken tailor, and they.
Speaker 4: Serve me magpie, would that not be alarming? We would? You go, what the fuck? It would be illegal? So why do we allow fish and chip shops to go?
Speaker 6: Yeah, because obviously it's not illegal to serve shark, like here.
Speaker 4: They're allowed to do it, So it's illegal to serve magpie. Yes, this is what's confusing to me.
Speaker 6: There's like there's like rules and regulations and standards for animals we can kill and need.
Speaker 5: I think they yeah, maybe don't call it shark because that seems like scary or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's my whole point. You're they're blind.
Speaker 2: They weren't doing it, and we said, yes, shark could be an option. You came in guns blazing, going fish cocktails a shark. As we've done the research, we have realized that some places that is the general consensus that if you just order fish and chips, you get in Shark. But as we just learned from Monique, it's the opposite as well, which is why I was saying in the beginning, as you would have to specify, let's get Pauling Hanson on she had of his chip shop, and she can give us the please explained, definitive answer.
Speaker 4: Fuck.
Speaker 2: I don't care enough about the topic to have her anywhere near me. Dylan anyway, I don't know if we got to the bottom of this or not, but I can't be fucked.
Speaker 3: This concludes this special High Scrollers investigation. See your next Tuesday