Speaker 1: The public has had a long held fascination with detectives. Detective sy a side of life. The average person is never exposed her. I spent thirty four years as a cop. For twenty five of those years, I was catching killers. That's what I did for a living. I was a homicide detective. I'm no longer just interviewing bad guys. Instead, I'm taking the public into the world in which I operated. The guests I talk to each week have amazing stories from all sides of the law. The interviews are raw and honest, just like the people I talk to. Some of the content and language might be confronting. That's because no one who comes into contact with crime is left unchanged. Join me now as I take you into this world. Welcome to another episode of the Vicatch Killers NYPD. Those letters are embedded in my psyche. The New York Police Department, for some reason, represents everything there is about policing. I'm talking the good, the bad, and the ugly. If you've spent twenty years as a cop in New York, you've earnt your stripes in policing, that's for sure. Today's guest retired NOPD Sergeant John Fariso has done just that, and today we have the pleasure of having him on My Catch Killers. As you'd expect from a veteran New York cop, he has a thousand stories to tell. In two thousand and one, he was on duty working at one police plaza, just a short distance from where the planes crashed into the World Trade Center. He was shaken by the explosion and had the horror of seeing people jump from the building to their death. Today he's going to give us a first hand account of the fear and the chaos of what occurred. But that's just part of his story. This is how he described his policing career. When you're a New York City police officer, you become a social worker, chauffeur, human relations consultant, and a tour guide. You're expected to do all those things while stopping crime as it occurs, preventing crime, and keeping the peace in a city that never takes a break. Today to hear his stories, John Fariso, welcome to I Catch Killers.
Speaker 2: Thank you great to be here.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got to say you're the first New York cop we've had on I Catch Killer. Someone a bit excited about that because policing in New York is poleacing at the sharp end. And yeah, we've touched on New York crime. I had Michael Francis as a guest, the Mafia Kappa a guest on there, and I've also had Joe Pistoni, the real Donnie Brasco on.
Speaker 2: Great. Thank you for having me here. This is my first podcast outside the US, so I appreciate you having me on. I plan on doing more outside of the US, but this is the first one. I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Oh, very good, very good. Well. I think there is a fascination about policing in New York. I don't know what it is. Whether it's we sort of grow up on hearing stories of New York and if something happens in New York, the news news travels fast. I suppose there's also from my point of view, I was even when I was in the Cops, I was watching MYPD Blues, grew up watching Serpi k the movie, and Donnie Brasco American Gangster. It's all very New York related.
Speaker 2: Definitely. I'm glad you mentioned Surproco. I mentioned that a lot. That's probably one of the top two best corp movies ever and definitely betrays New York City during the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were different, different times, and we'll talk on that. We've had in New South Wales police. We've had the corruption and everything that comes with policing, but it's just part and parcel of the job. One thing that I noticed reading up and preparing for the podcast here when we go to work in New South Wales cops we go we've got a shift or we're going to work. You guys call it a tour, like each day is a tour. What now that conjures up images of Yeah, you do a tour of war, you do a tour? Is that? Do you think that reflects what policing is New York is all about?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess, being that there's thirty thousand New York City Police officers, I guess that tour would make sense.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, thirty thousand.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure the number now, but there's thirty thousand when I was there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's incredible. Like we've got New South Wales Police I think between fifteen and twenty thousand, and that's a pretty big police forces across the globe. But New York eclipse is that clearly I want to talk about your career. I'm fascinated about your career and what happens, but I also want to talk about the September eleventh when the planes crashed in the twin towers. Can you just describe to me that day? And I've read your piece that you wrote on it, and I just found it fascinating how you started the day off because it was just a typical day. Do you want to just take the listener on that journey, just up until the point where things changed dramatically forever.
Speaker 2: Sure, it was a perfect day. The weather was perfect. I woke up in the morning and z eating my breakfast at home. I didn't have kids yet. I was married, but didn't have kids' children yet, so my main concern that day was to how to get fitted for a suit for a wedding. So that was the first thing I thought about when I woke up that morning. I had no clue that within two hours everything I knew would be turned upside down. And what I say and whenever I talk about September eleventh is that I think about it every single day. There has not a day gone by in all these years I haven't thought about it in one way or the other, not in a bad way. It could be something simple, but I think about it. Things trigger it. Construction crews, large crowds of people in the city, low flying planes, a lot of things that make me think about it. So after I breakfast, I got on the bus went to work, and ironically, my bus did past Twin Towers. I called the Twin Towers because that when we grew up in New York City, that's what we called it. We saw it from Queens in the distance. So to us, that was the Twin Towers, and that was a very New York thing. And there was a shadow from the towers that went down low Manhattan and you would walk past the shadow, and that shadow made it pretty far. And my office was, well, in the US it's a half mile I'm not sure on kilometers, maybe point six point eight kilometers, yea, I found correct on that. And then so the shadow made there. I walked to the building and you know, I went inside it and I was still thinking about my suit, and I was thinking about, you know, my day. And I was at a temporary assignment at the time, and I really if September eleventh didn't happen, this assignment would probably never even made it to my book. But so I had a temporary assignment, and you know, I went to the office and you know, the cop humor began because that was very common in police work. As cop Humi. There was twenty of us that were ready to get promoted to sogeant. So we were all just always joking around, talking about making sergeant. And I sat at the desk. I read the newspaper. It was something trivial in it. And then we used to do data entry. This is going back to two thousand and one. You know, we just did data entry. It was a basic assignment. So I was ready to get promoted. So basically you did this data entry until you got promoted to sergeant. I was just a cop at the time. I didn't do investigation. Yet, I didn't do anything. So you know, I sat at the table with all the other cops and like I said, we were doing the cop huma. We were joking. Everybody was laughing, and guys started to go to their desks one by one to do their data entry. And I was getting ready to go and my lieutenant approached me and he said, John, he goes, uh, you need to get these reports going. You need more reports done. So I was the depression. I was doing all my reports. I'm like, yeah, boss, lieutenant, I'll take care of it, no problem, get those reports done for you. So I sat at my desk and I forgot about it. And then I was doing my data entrying these reports. Kevin but coming back to me, and I'm saying, you know, what was he talking about? Why is he asking me about these reports? I says, I know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna wait till I get a closer to lunch time. I'm gonna walk into the tenant's office. I'm gonna ask him directly, what are you talking about with these reports? What do you need done? I'm doing my job here. I got a future here, future outside of this office. So what are we going to do? And then I was sitting at the desk and then I heard this unbelievable sound. It was a boom, but it wasn't like an explosion boom. I would describe it as someone took something like a giant rock and throw it into a dumpster and it echoed an echo boom. And I thought a piece of construction equipment fell off the roof of the building. Because there was construction going on, so we all turns. I turned to the left and I could see the window. And I turned to the left and one of the sergeants was looked at the window and he said, I do know exact words, but it was like, oh my gosh, I can't believe this. You got to see this, And he was pointing out the window, and being in New York City police officer and living in New York that is not calm and nobody gets, you know, stunned by anything we see. That was like something we all knew something was going on. Yeah, that's when everything changed at that moment.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let's we'll stop it there because I want to lead up and find a little bit more about yourself before we talk more detail about that day. A couple of things there. When I was reading your piece about that day and you touched on it there the cop humor, I felt like I was in the office. I know exactly what that's about. You having a go at your fellow workers, as we say in this country, taking the piss out of each other, a bit of laugh, bit of banter, getting about your stuff. There's usually some bosses says something that you know, you dig in you think what's said about so I fully understand that that environment going in there. But let's wind it back a little bit. Where did you grow up?
Speaker 2: You grew up in New York, Yes, Queens, New York, outside of Manhattan and could see the skyline from where I grew up in Blue Carlor neighborhood.
Speaker 1: And what steered you towards policing? Was it something you always wanted to do or is it something you fell into.
Speaker 2: I always knew it at a very young age. I remember in kindergarten talking about it and I remember writing about it. And I had two incidents that happens when I was a kid that really propelled me to police work. And one was actually the son of Sam investigation.
Speaker 1: Because I remember that one. Yeah, yes, tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah he was, so you know, you're aware, a son of Sandy Cereal killer, so very interesting person if anyone doesn't know about him, he's very interesting serial killer. So I was a little kid grown up in Queens and a lot of people in my neighborhood were police officers. It was a lot of cops find in sanitation. It was just you know, we were the people that worked in Manhattan but lived in Queen's and it was very common in the seventies. So it was the summer of seventy seven, and I remember that summer was a heat wave. It was hot, so we were always outside. So I'd sit on the stoop and you know, the adults would come out and they'd say, all right, make sure everybody goes inside. The son of Sam is around, or some people called him the forty four caliber killer. So I was only seven years old, and I'm like, I was being told as a serial killer in my neighborhood. Not only was he in the neighborhood, he murdered three people walking distance from my house.
Speaker 1: So you say, in the think of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he he did it all over. A lot of people don't know this, but he didn't, you know, hit midtown Manhattan. He didn't hit the affluent areas. He went to the out of burrows and almost like where he grew up, because he grew up in the Bronx. And you know, he shot two people in a car close to my house, I know the exact location, and he shot another woman walking. And these were the two in the car and the woman walking with separate incidents and close enough to where my parents were like, you know, make sure you come in. You know, there's a something. They didn't use the term serial killer. They you know, in the seventies, adults talked to us like we were adults. They were like the forty four caliber killers here. So when the street lights go on and it gets dark, get off the stoop and come inside.
Speaker 1: So I grew up with that.
Speaker 2: And then the newspapers would come into the house in the morning and there would be a front page headline of what this guy did, which was graphic, you know, descriptions of people shot and cause. So at a young age, I knew there was danger out there. And I remembered when they caught him because I remembered my sister talking about it. She was older than me and once again talking about it, like, you know, I should understand this at seven, and she said they caught there was a gun in the car a parking ticket. So I knew people were afraid of this guy, and I was amazed that the cops did investigative work and they caught him. And at a young age, I knew I saw a good versus At a young age, I just saw that as the cops went out and they caught that bad guy, and it's real. It was on the news every day, and it was in the newspapers and it was talked about. And that really made me think about police work at a young age.
Speaker 1: Okay. It's funny how those things just register in your mind and get locked in at that early age. But yeah, I do remember that that crime. Okay, so you've decided to join the police. My understanding new York Police, and this is limited understanding, but just in my own experience, I've spoken to people from New York and yeah, when I've been traveling overseas and you mentioned you're a cop, and there's two reactions you tend to get with people from New York. They if you like you for it, or they look at you and just sort of and the energy just get sucked out of the room. It seems to be a polarizing career in the city of New York. Am I am I misreading it?
Speaker 2: No, not at all, You're correct. Do you either get people that want to hear everything, or they take a step back and they look at you and you know they're thinking about something and you just don't ask. It's interesting at a barbecue when that happens, because we were warned about that in the police academy. The instructors would come out and say, we'll watch. When people know what you do, you're going to get either no one wants to talk to you, or we want to tell you everything that went wrong and you're to blame. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I picked that up in my travels that people from New York definitely had a strong view one way or the other about cops, either love them or hate them. They didn't seem to be that in between. How old were you when you joined the cops.
Speaker 2: I was twenty three. I was in college, and like I said, I knew I was going to do it. A few of my friends I grew up with we used to play stickball on the street and we should just basically take a rub a ball with a stick, you know, was a cross between a bat and a stick. And we bought them and we just hit it and that's what we played. And I think out of the six of us, four of us became cops. So I kind of knew it. And I was twenty three years old. I had one more year in college, and I just said, you know, I knew the PD was going to call me. So I went into the NYPD in nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 1: The training. Did you enjoy the training? Did you like it's I talked from my experience in policing. I was working in the building trade and then went into policing. And I know the moment I hit the academy, it's a glove that just fitted. I thought, I found what I want to do it. It just felt right from the moment I walked in the door. How did you find it?
Speaker 2: Yes, I found it that way. Also, I liked the discipline. I like the quasi military structure. I didn't mind being yelled at if you weren't standard street. You know, I learned how to salute and stand street and standard attention, and you know, they made a standard attention for sometimes thirty minutes, and you know, I think they were at times just massive wordess. But the times we were just being goofballs and they were like, Okay, now you're going to stand attention to thirty minutes. And I understood the discipline of it, and I liked the academy. I had come from college, so the work in the books was okay, and the physical I was ready for that too, So I enjoyed the police academy.
Speaker 1: Did you what was your family's attitude to join the police, Like policing is across the world, is a dangerous occupation in New York, I think it probably arises a little bit, a little bit hard. Were they happy with you going down that path?
Speaker 2: Well, my mom was not. She was wanted me to do other things, and I kept telling her, Mom, this is what I want to do. And I'm sure she knew because I was watching all these cop shows at such a young age and talking about police work, So I think she always knew anyway up against it. Yeah, she just had to say what she needed to say. My uncle was a police officer, and when I was a little kid, you know, we'd sit around at the Italian dinners and you're a cop, let me see your gun, and my uncle say, sit out, kid. And you know, my uncle never talked about it. He was that generation they just didn't talk about it. And then my cousin became a cop, so there was two members of the service in my family. So I my father went. When the NYPD first called me, I said, Dad, I got this letter. The NYPD wants me to come down for an investigation. My dad's like, all right, let's get you a suit. You're going on some interviews. So my dad was very pro for it.
Speaker 1: He was for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he was all I guess he didn't want to support me, and he was happy with it.
Speaker 1: So okay. So you get through the academy and you get out of the police academy, you think you know what you're doing, because there's a lot of skills you've got to learn. You've got to learn your legislation, your powers of arrests, you know, handling people, weapons training. There's a whole lot that you come out with from the academy and you think you're ready to hit the streets. But if your experience is like my experience, when you walk out on the streets, that's when you actually start start learning. And I would imagine in New York it's learning on steroids. What was your first times when you went out walk the streets as a New York cop.
Speaker 2: Well, you're correct, you know, the academy could teach you everything in a book. They could show you movies, they could have professionals up there talking and they could do scenarios and you could do handcuffing everything. But they tell you you're going to learn everything on the street, and you're going to learn fast, and I was surprised at how fast it came. There's no real transition. They say there's a training and this and that, but you know, you're working with other carps and other supervisors. You know, if the crap it's a fan, they're not going to go, okay, well, rookie, you stand there, We're going to take care of this. A lot of times, you know, you're the you're the cop, and even the people on the street, they don't want to hear that you just got there. If they have a problem, they're going to get in your face and be like, officers, I just got robbed. You can't tell them I'm a rookie. I just got here. You can't do that. You got to handle it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very very much. So like there is no you're out there, you wear that uniform and you're you're now the cop. You can't put put your hand up there. Where were you first stationed and what was the type of work that you were doing first up?
Speaker 2: Well, everybody goes to patrol right outside the It's not like the movies. Movies got it all wrong. And it's in the NYPD. I could speak for that. Everybody goes right to patrol. You don't really get in a car. It's there's so many of us. They put you on foot posts, so they give you these crappy posts that nobody else wants to take. Guarding the prisoners, bad accidents. You got to wait. I mean you mentioned in your book the crime scene you're always standing outside the tape, not really inside. Yeah, you never really get inside the tape, but you do. But you're standing outside the tape, and you know, people are walking up to you and asking you a questions. You're like, I don't know. I was just put at the tape edge. Just don't go through. I don't have an answer for you. And so the first week I was there, I don't think I saw a car. I saw my sergeant, and you know, like the first day or two, I think it was my In the second day I was there, I was on a foot post and I witnessed a fight in the street. But it was a very busy foot post, and you know, this was everybody gets on the train there and they head into the city. And I witnessed a fight and I was like, all right, guys, you go this way, you go that way. And then one guy got on his bicycle and left the other guy, you know, in front of everybody, because a crowd gathered, and I guess the guy wanted to show up for the crowd. You know. He rips his shirt open and he's telling me to shoot him, and I'm like, you know, wow, this this came fast, you know. So I'm like, you know, I was in college waiting on tables a year ago, and this is what I'm doing right now. So the guy's yelling at me to shoot shoot him, and then he had already I think, hit somebody with a garbage pail, you know, metal garbage pail. So it was an interesting situation. So I actually stepped back because I'm thinking really fast, like wow, you know, there's no academy instructor here. This is on me to handle it. So he took a step towards me. I took out my night stick, and you know, I did the whole academy pose, but it behind my and my mind's race and saying, well, I'm not obviously not gonna shoot him, but if he steps close enough then I have to. I will crack him with this stick, which I really didn't want to do. The second day I was there, and then I think he realized that he was going to get hurt, and so he just walked away. And all these other cops did come by because I think somebody might have told them, because there was other cops on the footposts, all the other rookies, and I was explaining it and they were like, all right, it's good, okay, have a good day by And then five minutes later people are asking me directions like this never happened. So things get thrown at you very fast, and you have to handle it very fast.
Speaker 1: You need to understand, Yeah, the way you describe that, like it's a significant thing, it's an incident that you've been confronted with so early in your career. But you're quite right. The other cops just, well, that's just to die in the die in the place. Sure, But and it is about ye know, if you go in and I think what you demonstrate that they're policing isn't black and white, Like you've got to be able to navigate your way through situations like yeah, if someone came back, you're like that you're entitled to hit him. But if you can de escalate, that's the type of thing that you've got to try to do as a police officer. Did you have role models where the people that you looked up to and thought, that's the type of cop I want to be, Like, I'm gonna what he or she's doing, That's who I want to learn from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because there's so many, you know, members of the I think thirty of us went to the precinct from the academy so and there was already probably one hundred something already there. So you start to see people's personalities, and people come from all walks of life. In the NYPD, you get the business type of person, you get the tough, gay type of person, you get the social worker, you get all tapes. So I started to notice who really could de escalate a situation. I noticed who could talk somebody down. I noticed who could, you know, see a situation and see something wrong. There was times I worked with some offices that maybe didn't have a lot of time on but one or two years, and they would catch something very quickly, like catch something as in, we had an accident on the street, and all these people started walking up to me talking to me. So I was surprised, like, there's a car accident, Why are people interested in talking to me? And we sit in the car and he goes roll the window up. He goes, they're all paid. This guy's paying them to be witnesses. I would have never thought of that, but this cop with two years on just caught onto it. All right, they're paid witnesses. So I'm rolling the window down and I'm thinking, you know, he didn't tell me how to handle this, So I'm taking their names and writing it down. After about the third person, I'm like, I think I got enough witnesses. So I realized that, all right, I just got to write these names down to make it look good. If this motorist wants to pay them, that's on him, but I don't have to put them in the report. We're just making the report for the accident. So I saw talent at places that every day within police work, and you learn from those situations, and that helps you throughout your career because you will handle that same situation again. And I've been on the other end when I was the one driving, and I saw the paid witnesses step forward, and I'm like, oh, that's interesting. Great, you want to help out a total stranger and give a statement. Okay, I'll take your statement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting. But what you said there, you learn and you build up your experience. I found that I learned something in police in every single day I came to work. And the more experience you had when you were confronted with something, it's not sort of and I think this is where you see these battle hardened old cops that nothing's going to FaZe and because they've probably been there, done that soon it before. And that's just in that experience that you've built up and all the little little I won't say tricks, but the instinct you have for situations that you pick up the longer you spend in the job. Did you have a direction you wanted to go in policing? Was there? Did you want to go into investigations or tactical or what was your interest?
Speaker 2: Early on? AWD, you know, it's it, that's it. We were doing our work and then we would handle reports. We'd make reports, so we go to situations and a lot of times I would take these reports for you know, like a really bad robbery that just happened and somebody was assaulted nothing like murder or nothing like that. I would take these reports and I would call my supervisor say, yeah, this is a legit robbery. This person was robbed, they're injured. Here's the description, here's that. And I would take the report. And so I was like, all right, great, your report's done. All right, drop it off in the priests and bring it to the detectives upstairs. And I would go in and I would bring it to the detectives upstairs. And you know, it was it was like the movies to me. I walked into this detective squad and it was the old fan blowing. You know, no one cleaned the fan in five years. There was you know, a couple of typewriters typing away because this was the nineties. There was a couple of giant computers. And then you got a cop what is you know, a detective with his you know tie half on, and he's looking at you like, why are you coming in this here to talk to us? And yeah, you were a little nervous, but you can't show it to them. See you hand them the report and they're like, robbery kid, huh what do you got? And they're like oh wow. And then all of a sudden, I would hear them talking and I'm like, I think these guys already know who did this robbery. They would look at the report and go I had a feeling. I watched their wheel spin and I'm like, They're gonna go out and grab this guy now. And I'm like, wow, you know what these detectives. They're doing something here that's beyond patrol. And I knew very early on I was going into detective bureau.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The way you describe that, John, it is so similar to my experience. You're young, you're keen, you're in uniform, as we call it over here, and you get that report and you've got to get the detective's office, and it was intimidating just to walk in there. Why it was intimidating, I don't know, but at first they're the detectives very much. So you just described what. I'd walk into the office of typewriters. There'd be ashtrays, they'd be people with their feet up on the desk. Sometimes they'd be playing cards. If you go in there at lunchtime and it's almost look at you, what what do you want? And you walk out you feel humiliated, but quite curious about what's going on in there, so I understand where you're coming from, but it has has an attraction. Okay, let's talk about well fast forwar, because I want to come back and talk in depth, and we'll probably do that in part two about your career and different different things that you saw and did, and investigations that you're on, in particular missing persons. I'm very curious about having a chat with you about that. How long had you been in the cops before September.
Speaker 2: Eleventh, ninety three to two one? Nine years?
Speaker 1: Nine years? Okay, so almost at that veteran stage. You're in an experienced police officer. You've been there, done that, seeing things. You told us at the start of the podcast when you heard that explosion, then you saw someone look out and call you to the window. Can you take us from there? Because to get the first hand we watched it over here obviously, as the whole world did, but to have someone that was on the ground and experience what was going in there, the chaos and the panic and everything else that goes into play on that day, just take us through it if you could.
Speaker 2: Sure I could take it through it. I remember that day. I remember everything about it. There's like every little minute detail. Maybe because I was rating at the time and I wrote about it, but either way, I could remember that entire day. I remembered when I heard that explosion, that sound didn't sound natural, not that explosion sound should, but it definitely sounded something was really off with this. And when the other supervisor yelled at the window, of course, human nature, you've got to go see what's going on. So I went to the window and I saw one of the towers and I saw a hole in it, and I saw it looked like destruction, like a black hole in there. And one the first thing I noticed was there was papers shooting out of the hole in the building. Not only were they shooting out, they were shooting straight out and going straight up. I guess the wind or something. I don't know. I didn't see any flames yet. So I looked at it and I said, this is no accident. This is a bomb. Somebody put a bomb in that building, because you know, don't forget, you know, somebody put a bomb in the building in nineteen ninety two in the basement. So we were told about that in the academy. That happened and wasn't far off from people's memory at that time, so I knew it was no accident. I said, what do I gotta do. The first thing I said is this was two thousand and one. I didn't I have a cell phone. So if any of you listeners know what it's like to not have a cell phone, it's a different time. It was no cell phones. I had to go to a payphone, and the only payphone was downstairs in the lobby. Because my wife had worked in Midtown Manhattan, I knew I had to call her because you know, I would assume something else would happen. So I went to the payphone, and you know, old school, I took the court or put it in the phone dial toub work number, and she got on the phone like, Hi, I'm like, somebody just put a bomb in the tower. So she paused and she said what I said, somebody put a bomb in tower and I didn't know it was yet, I just assumed it was. And she's like, oh my gosh, what happened. So she had the TV on and it was live on TV. Now I couldn't watch TV because we didn't have one there and nobody had cell phones yet. Nobody had iPhones. So I remember what I told her, and this will be a big part to the story. I said, Okay, I'm very close to the towers. I said, they're going to send us there. After I'm done at the towers, I'll call you back. And I left it at that, and then I went back upstairs, walked up the stairs, and I went back and then I saw more people at the window. Other people from the building had I guess we had one of the better views, if you could call it, because we were directly in front of it and you had to look straight and up. I think I was on the ninth of the eleventh floor of my building. And then as I'm looking out, I see something coming from across the sky. And well before that, I had another part to the story. As I was watching the first tower, I saw stuff falling from the building, and I was like, wow, debris falling. And I start a helicopter. So I'm like, what's falling from the towers? And as I watched closer. I wrote about this a lot in the book, and I got a little more elaborate. There was no debris falling. I was watching people jumping from the towers and I just couldn't believe that that's what I was witnessing, and I was like, Wow, that's when reality hit. I says, there are people in those towers that are not going to make it home today. So I had to step back. I couldn't watch any further. I wrote more about it in the book, some of the images that I still think about.
Speaker 1: Just on that. I've pulled out a quote from your book about that, because it's as bout as confronting as a thing that you could see, and as a cop, you've seen a lot of stuff, but that I just read out a short, short passage here from your piece you wrote about. I soon horrified that what I was witnessing. People were jumping from the tower. Tiny figures with arms and legs flailing, were hurtling themselves out of the smoke filled windows. Some looked as if they were doing somersaults down the side of the building. I was now frozen with a dead stare at those towers. Yeah, what can you say about that? This is something people shouldn't see.
Speaker 2: No, it's definitely not something people's and it's nothing I ever believed they would see. It was unbelievable, and I didn't know it was going to continue. So I was watching that, and you know, it's something that you just can't it's already in your memory and it's like an accident. You just got to eventually stop looking. So I went back to my desk and I sat down and I just tried to get my composure. And then I said to myself, this is the same desk that only twenty minutes ago, I was ready to talk to my lieutenant about some bull crap report.
Speaker 1: I'm like, that was a big issue in your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything, yeah, yeah, everything just got turned upside down. And so sure enough, I went back to the window. And as I got back to the window, what I was saying earlier is I saw something coming from across the sky. As I looked out the window and the towers were in front of me. So I did not see the actual plane, but I saw I don't know what it's called, when the wings have the uh the jet stream going down and it makes like a smoke line. I saw the two smoke lines coming across the city, and I was like, I went to say, what is And before I said that, I saw it hit the rear of the building. And this was the other tower that wasn't struck the second plot second plane, and not only did it hit the building, it went into it and shot out the the front. I saw pieces of it shootout the front, and I was frozen. And then with strangers, I didn't hear anything, and then all of a sudden, I heard the boom again, different sounding this time, but I heard it. And the shockwave hit like five seconds later, and the building my windows were shaking where I was standing, and I was like everything. I would describe it like a movie that you could not hit pause. It was like I was being forced to watch a movie I didn't want to sit through and I could not hit pause. That's the best I could describe it. And I looked to the left, I looked at the right. I said, we gotta get out of this building. I said, because I would assume that something else was coming, and I still didn't know what it was. Even though I saw I could to explain it now at the time, I really didn't comprehend it. It wasn't until later, so I went to the stairs. I knew enough not to take the elevator. I learned enough. You don't get in elevators in bad situation. The last thing I wanted to do is stuck in an elevator. So I went to the steps, and I remembered there was two detectives and they had high heels on and they were moving it down those stairs, and I ran with them, and I remember touching the handrail a few times, but I don't remember touching the steps.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I went down those nine flights in record speed, and I got to the front of the building, and then I ran past that pay phone I was at and then I saw I saw like chaos in front of the building. I saw people running in different directions, and I saw some cops briefly talking and running towards the towers, and I saw other cops dumbfounded. I saw some police recruits just not knowing what to do. And there was a police recruit and she sat on the floor and cried, and I walked over to her. I said, just get up, just stand up, and that's all I could tell. I had nothing else to tell her. I didn't know what to say, so I really know what to do. When I was watching the towers, and it was, like I said, there was mobs of people besides the building I was in. It seems like all Lower Manhattan instantly was out. It was like an ant hole and you just shook it up and all the ants took off. So a guy who worked with came up to me, goes, John, where are you going? I said, I don't know. He goes, what do you want to do? I said, listen, let's get a little uptown where there's no big buildings and we'll figure it out. So he goes, all right. So we did a very fast walk uptown. And as we were walking uptown, there was a lot of people to left to me, a lot of people to the right of me, and they were all walking and we were walking fast. And there's a federal courthouse in Low Manhattan with big giant Gothic cement steps. I was by the Federal Courthouse and the floor started rumbling, so I didn't know what it was. I thought something was coming from the sky, so I looked around. I didn't see nothing, but the floor is rumbling under my feet, and so instantly I dove under a parked car and I hit like next to the wheelwell, and then there was a woman under the car. I don't know if she followed me and doved or she was already there, and she was an elderly woman and we looked at each other and she had fear in her face and I couldn't. I didn't know what to tell her, and she I don't even know if she knew as a cop because I didn't have uniform on. I had my kakis on in my polo shirt. And a man walked by and looked at me and goes, what are you doing? It's just a subway. I'm like what. So I looked outside the wheel well and I saw the smoke coming from Lower Manhattan. Now I don't it's not smoke. This was a curtain of debris. It was thick, it was black, it was ugly, it was rolling, and it was wavy, and it was coming up the block towards us. So as I looked, that guy that just said that to me had his briefcase and he was hauling it down the street, he took off. You I think he realized that it was no subway. So I got up and I didn't know what to do. I just ran. So I ran north. I saw the guy worked within the crowd and I lost them. And I'm a pretty quick runner. I'm athletic. I was moving. I had my dress shoes on, but I was moving, you know. And like I said, I had my polo shirt on. I was ready to go. So I ran uptown and all of a sudden, nothing happened behind me. It was quiet. I saw the smoke in the debris, but it was in the distance, and it was like a wall, like if you look downtown, you could see a wall of smoke and just people from that direction walking towards you. I'm not talking people a few, I'm talking in the thousands walking in my direction. So the cop and me said, John, don't go in the subway. Stay where you're at. And there was a woman standing next to me, and I was just talking to her briefly and I said, I don't know what's going on today, but you are never going to forget to today. She goes, no, I'm not and just walked away. And then something told me to go back. So I saw these crowds of people in the thousands walking towards me, and I walked downtown while everybody was walking uptown. So I said, I have to get back to my building. I wasn't that far. I was walking distance, couldn't see it. I ran pretty far. So as I was walking, people started letting me through. I guess they just knew I had to get through. Maybe they knew it I was a cop. I don't know. So people were partying and I was walking, and I was walking through the crowd, and I saw a woman in my building. She was a civilian, and I said, what's going on with police plaza? She goes, no, everybody just ran out of a building. There's nobody in there. So I said okay, and I kept walking. So, like I said, there was a partying in the crowd, and I saw that Federal courthouse. When I got to the Federal Courthouse, I heard screaming and yelling, actually not screaming, and there was a gentleman trying to get back in the building, and the court offices were in full uniform. I watched them physically throw him down the stairs. He rolled down the cement stairs right in front of me, landed on the floor in front of me, and he just brushed himself off and wan one direction. And then the court offices ran towards me and they said, where you going. You can't go downtown. So I took out my identification under my shirt showed it to him. They're like, okay, they said, why don't you go behind the building? So I said, all right, So I actually took a short cut, went behind the building, and I went back to one police plaza. But I didn't get directly back to one police police plaza. I'm not exactly sure how it ended up here, but the smoke was to the right of me, and like I said earlier, it was not smoke. This was a giant black curtain.
Speaker 1: And when you were running from that, because we're seen the images and all that you were running with, you did not know what was coming. You were running for your life literally on when that big curtain of smoke and debris was rolling down.
Speaker 2: The streets correct and the fun for me didn't even start yet, because you know, I was there was still one tower standing. So I walked down on this street and there was New York City pigeons, just dozens of them, walking at my feet. It was the strangest thing. I can't describe it. I've never heard animals describe it. I think the pigeons probably couldn't fly from Lower Manhattan. They got hit with the caked and the dust, so they came to where they was because the debris was about not the debris, the wall of smoke was about a block ofitud of me, the right where the Brooklyn Bridge was, and I would periodically see people on the bridge and then smoke would overtake them. People say so. Then I walked down one block and it was near a high school and there was all these high school kids sitting on the floor and I don't know if they just ran from the scene or they were there already. And there was two EMS trucks and the EMS trucks maybe because the MS trucks people congregated that they were giving people oxygen one at a time, and I saw people with the oxygen and I was standing there and I didn't know what to do. I was looking at the EMS people and looking to the right, and I kept looking at the Brooklyn Bridge. I was very focused on the bridge. And a woman walks up to me and she said, I'm pregnant. I do not want to have my child here. So I looked at her and I didn't know what. I had nothing to tell this woman. I just like, listen to EMS is here, speak to them.
Speaker 1: I think, and if I just interrupt you there for a sec This is what came through when I read the piece that you wrote about it got as cops, chaos is the norm. Yeah, you go to a chaotic situation, you assess the situation, you get it under control. This is on the magnitude that no one has experienced. And I just found it fascinating that half of you would be going, well, i'm a cop, I've got to take some control or help, and the other part to be going I don't know what's going on, like it just what was going through your mind at the time, Like I would imagine you were struggling with all sorts of thoughts.
Speaker 2: Well, interestingly enough, I didn't have time to think because all you focused on what was going on at the moment, I didn't have time to I can't just one hundred percent describe it. I don't even know if anybody else can think about it. You don't have time to say when I can do this? What am I gonna do with this? When that you think about at that moment, And while I was there, I didn't remember that. Okay, John, get yourself back to one, please plasic or figure it out. You can't stay here with this pregnant woman. You can't stay here with the people taking oxygen, I could breathe fine. So when I looked at the Brooklyn Bridge, something was telling me to just walk the bridge, go home, just leave, and the cop in me was like, no, you can't do this. I could describe. The poll to that bridge was immense. It's like something was telling me go, go go, and something was telling me no. But that poll was unbelievably strong, and I knew deep downside I wasn't going to do it, couldn't do it. But man, I will say it. I wanted to get on that bridge and just walk with that crowd. And then I started walking back towards one police plaza and one police plaza. It's called the plaza because it has a big opened For Manhattan, this is considered big. It's a big open area. It's cement benches and then the building is a Gothic old building, you know, built in the seventies at the end. So I walked there and all I saw was one police recruit in a gray uniform. I didn't see anybody else, I know, I didn't see any of my co workers. I walked towards the recruit. As I was walking towards him, he kept yelling sir, sir, sir. I said, stop sarring me, stop sirring me. I'm just I'm walking towards you. So I walked towards him. The smoke was behind him, and I don't even know what I was going to say to him. He goes, sir, I have a mask for you. So he handed me like a paper spackle mask. So I picked it up and I heard this very strange sound. I can't describe it. Me and him looked over. I looked over my right and I saw the one tower demonstrating it turned, I believed, to the left, and it looked like it might possibly even broke in the middle. And then it came straight down onto itself. Now, when it came down onto itself, it fell into the actual building, So the top fell into the bottom, and instantly it was like the hands of time stood still. For me, I was just staring, like, what is just happening here? I can't believe this. It made this unbelievable rumbling sounds. And then when it fell straight down, the smoke and debris, which was even thicker now shot straight up and went out in my direction. Annihilly did to go in my direction. I was watching it go into the side streets as it was coming up the block. So I turned around and I had that mask in my hands and even had a chance to put it on, and I ran straight more towards the back of the building, and I ran a few blocks, and I could hear the sounds behind me. It was like a rumbling, like a giant wave. I would describe it, and strangely enough, I could smell it. I smelt probably from the first collapse. I could smell concrete. I did construction. I know what concrete smells like. It was concrete and burnt wires. So I had that eerie sounds, that creepy smell, and it was coming behind me, and I ran, and I thought I was gonna be overtaken. I wasn't. It was coming up towards me, but I guess the winds took it in a different direction. I was like right at the line, almost where it was in the air, but nobody was choking where I was standing, and you could see so like I said, it went to the right and left, and I ran to a parked car, and I was so angry at what just happened. And I didn't even understand it yet. I banged my fists on the on the trunk of the car and I said, the building just went down. I was yelling at nobody. It was nobody, and I was just yelling to myself. And I turned around and I saw the Brooklyn Bridge again and it was almost covered. But every once in a while I could see a figure through the bridge of somebody walking, and I thought about it. Do you leave? Do you go? Nobody'll know? You know. I used to read books when I was a kid about guys that went off the war and they would try to in the trenches. All they wanted to do was just go to the go to the rear, get out of town. And I used to read these books that go, man, I can imagine what it's like to be you know, few steps of safety, but a few steps is danger. And I thought about that. I said, I can't leave. I got to go do something, but I had no plan in though to do so.
Speaker 1: I can understand what you're sign there, and that's that's you sign up to join join the cops. Yeah, you're not conscripts. You volunteer, but there's a responsibility there, and you got to own that responsibility. In the situation like that, And I dare say, and I'm mainly surmising here, they would have been that took the option and went home. But I don't think you're doing your job if you disappear in the situation like that, it's chaos. But hey, that's what you signed up for. Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: I mean I signed up for police work, but nothing to that magnitude. I didn't think I was going to watch the war waged on America, but that's what I was doing that day. Apparently that's where I was.
Speaker 1: How far away from the when the second tower collapse? How physically how far away were you from it?
Speaker 2: Well, in the second tower collapse, that was the closest I was. And I walked towards that recruit. I walked past my building, towards the location. I say, half mile maybe it's zero point six point eight kilometers.
Speaker 1: Jesus close, isn't it. You see it, you feel it, you hear it, you smell it all your senses.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, okay, well I'm saw the shell shocked. You have the magnitude of what you're talking about, but please continue on it. Take us through what happened next.
Speaker 2: Yes, you brought up an interesting point. You know, I was interestingly and this is probably why I wrote it. You know, there were people who were in the towers, who were right there, and they have unbelievable stories. But I witnessed it like right. It's almost like I wasn't in the front row seat. I wasn't in the second road seat, but I was in the third row where you get a better view than the first and second. That's how close I was where I saw it like panoramic. I guess that's the best description i'd give it. So I was right there and it was no television, there was nothing. I didn't know what was going on. So as I walked up a little bit, I started walking. Now I realized that, you know, at least that debris wasn't going to make it my way. But as I was walking, I started gauging the buildings around me, because there are some buildings there not that big. I mean, all right, I'm gonna say not that big. I'm a New Yorker, so they weren't skyscrapers. Put it that way. So I'm gauging the buildings. I'm saying, if a plane hits that, will it hit me? If a plane hits this building. So I'm walking kind of in the middle, and I was like, how am I thinking like this? How did I go to work today? I think worrying about buildings falling on me. And I was concerned that if something else happened, because I truly believe something the next wave was gonna come.
Speaker 1: Well you're thinking that that time, John, Sorry for just interrupt just to qu verify. You're not sure what's happening, but clearly this is a deliberate attack, and yeah, what's the next thing that's going to come? Is an army goan to invide? Like you would not know what was going on at this point in time. It's clearly not an accident.
Speaker 2: Sure, I was clearly that accident. You know, later on I would hear the rumor mill was just it was comical the rumors that were coming through, and I knew that of them were true. I did think something was kind of come from the sky. I truly believe that wherever the attack was was from above. So I saw a couple of guys that you know, a cops will tell you they weren't in uniform. They just knew they were cops. If I could tell from you know the distance I was. So I walked over to them, and I didn't know these guys. I just knew they were police officers, and I'm assumed from my building. So I said, what's going on? And they all looked at me like, we don't know, nobody's here. We don't know what to do. So as I was standing there, I started making some brief conversation with the guy next to me, and he just, you know, he was just one of those people at the moment where I couldn't talk. I guess he was just a little more shell shocked than I was, and he was just staring blankly, and I didn't say anything else. I juste he he doesn't want to talk or he can't. But he was a cop like me. So I thought to myself, my gosh, John, you called your wife and you told her you would go into the building. So I said, okay, So now I got I want to go home. Now, I really want to go home. Now I got to get in touch with my wife and tell her that I'm not in the building. It's okay. So sure enough, the payphones were down, the lights were down, all the lines were down. I couldn't get on the phone because there was other payphones there. So I heard my name called from up the block and it was the lieutenant that had asked me about the reports earlier in the morning, and he said, John, we're really glad you're okay, because you're the only one we were concerned where you were. Because I ran into the other guy that I ran with, he had already made it back before I did, so I said, what are we doing? He goes, nobody knows. He goes, just stay here. Let's make a perimeter and we make sure no non law enforcement could come into the area. And we put up some police barriers that we could find. And you know, the playbook went out the window. There was no rules, there was no this is what you need to do, this is what you don't need to do. And as I was standing there, I was watching and periodically people would run through that wall of smoke into our direction. And I watched a woman running and she had the high heels on and they were clanking and she was holling. This woman was running full force towards me, and sure enough I watched her heel break and the women face smacked right on the concrete. So I ran over to her, and ironically, two other women saw this, two other female police officers, so more cops were congregating, and they picked her up and they started running with her back away from where we were. She ran, and then I watched she ran on her own. So there was a lot of people coming together at that tragic moment. And I stayed where I was because I didn't know where to go. I knew I wasn't going to go home, but I at least knew that I was going to stay where my post was for that was original, and we were going to basically ended up. I found this out later. We just decided to we were letting the emergency vehicles. Because the emergency vehicles showed up very quickly. I watched empty New York City buses with people jumping in on some type of rescue workers I know, I'm sure who. And I saw empty busses coming through. I saw a carp on the back of a Holly Davidson where he just hitched a ride. I saw people off duty. I saw family members of people that had been in Lower Manhattan coming very quickly down towards Low Manhattan. So we had a courten off that area because if we were going to let the emergency vehicles through. We had to do it orderly because there was a big road there, so we knew we were going to have some type of direction within sending people downtown.
Speaker 1: Hi guys, just a quick interruption to let you know about the new podcast from the team behind I Catch Killers. It's called The Mushroom Cook. It's about a case that made headlines around the world last year, the prosecution of a Victorian woman called Aaron Patterson over a family lunch that left three people dead. The podcast goes deep into what we know about those alleged murders in the coming months. It will also follow the twists and turns as erin who's denied any wrongdoing faces trial. If you subscribe to crimex plus, you'll get access to The Mushroom Cook early and add through. Just search for The Mushroom Cook on crimex Plus on Apple Podcasts. Seeing those towers come down, you would have to thought and seeing the people jumping and falling out of the buildings. Did you have time in that chaos to even take in the magnitude of how many lives were lost? Was that going through your mind or was everything just rolling through so quickly. You were just taking it one step of the time.
Speaker 2: I was taking it one step at a time. But being that I didn't call I had called my wife and told her I was going to the building that was consuming my thoughts at that moment. I guess you have to focus on something. With the people jumping from the towers, that didn't start to really get into my memory until days later. And one person I work with, I didn't realize the death magnitude, and because I remembered that as that the wall of smoke would clear, the sun was so bright, so it was an eerie black cloud that would cover periodically cover the sun, and it would get very dark, and they would get very bright and get very dark and get very bright. It was odd. And then someone I worked with walked up to me and I don't I think he was listening to his walkman, and he said, the fire department just lost a lot of people. So that was the first time I realized that there are people that got up to work just like I did. They got dressed, and they are not coming home to see their families. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's heavy, isn't it. Did your wife did you get to how did you get to make contact with your wife. I know there was a couple of attempts, but she must have been going through assuming she would have missed you. She must have been going through hell wondering whether you did go to the tower on what's happened. It must have been a hard time for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talk about it now in the family. It's kind of like the ongoing joke that I made that phone call and didn't call her back for a while, it's still the ongoing joke, you know. I guess when you're married to a cop, you have to laugh about things, and even to that magnitude, it's still talked about. And that's why I talk about it on the podcast, because it is it's something I would do. Is I did not saying I forgot to call her back, but it was I couldn't get to a payphone because every payphone I got to wasn't working. So I would tell my coworkers, I would say, I have to call my wife. So I went a little further uptown and I finally got to a phone and I called her office and it went to a voicemail, and so, yeah, I could leave a voicemail, but she I don't know if she's ever going back to work. So I called my house and I left a voicemail. Okay, I got somewhere. I called my father. He was home at the time, and I got him on the phone and I told him so. But still, how long would it be before she got this message? So I didn't know this at the time. She fled her building with her coworkers and they ended up running to the fifty ninth Street bridge and they ran over the bridge there. So she was more uptown, but she had to make her own exit out of the city. And she tells me now that you know, she kept telling everybody she works with. My husband went to the towers. My husband went to the towers, and I'm sure there was a lot of people that you know, had the thoughts. But so it was important to me to get that message to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can understand that, but the whole magnitude of what happened, it's a city in panic, and we were watching it from here. It was the early hours of the morning. I got up to go to work and put the TV on, or heard it on the radio, put the TV on. And when I first saw it, as a lot of people say, you didn't think it was real. You saw the image of the plane going into the tower. But we had because we had a wider view of what was going on where the information was coming in. You guys on the ground, you would have not known what's coming next. Is this just the first wave of a full on terrorist attack with more waves coming.
Speaker 2: That's what we started to realize that, you know, something's going on. We more than we could comprehend, whether we're being told or not. And what was happening is we had no real direction. So I was letting the fire trucks through, I was letting the ambulances through. So I started directing traffic, and I was a rookie carp directing traffic. It was nothing I couldn't do. I just didn't die. I would do at this magnitude. So I was in the middle street directing people. They would open the barriers and the emergency vehicles would come through with debris on top of it. So as I'm letting these emergency vehicles pass me, I'm waving them in one direction and I'm watching the debris fly off it. So I'm like, my gosh, I got to get out of the way. So this giant like stuff was coming off the top of the ambulance. Somebody's ambulances were downtown when it happened, and they were getting out with their patients, so I was directing them out, and then I was directing people back in. So it was a dangerous place to even direct traffic. So as of directing the traffic, I hear another sound, and I guess my jitters were up. I heard something above me again and I looked up. It was a fighter jet and we all cheered the fire fighter jets as they flew over the Manhattan. So that's when I really realized that this is something I never expected to ever see. W'ch hearing fighter jets coming over to city was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And that was a symbol of where farthing back I would imagine I felt safe saying that the farther the jets. Okay, the whole experience for you just from you did get home that night. You had eventually you got home a couple couple of hours sleep, and you said that you were hearing sounds of sirens in your head when you got home and you were looking out the window wondering where what was going on now? But they were sounds in your head. Correct? Do you want to talk us through that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I'm glad you read it. It was one of those things you're never going to forget. When I went home, I did eventually contact my wife indirectly through three different people. So it was another family member of mine that I had left a message. I had left a lot of messages for people. He had drove to my house, saw her in front of the house, told her that I was okay. It was not at the towers. I was directing traffic where I was the whole time. So when once that got off my mind, it was a little more. That's when the fear started to go, My gosh, look what just happened. And then and then it was funny is I had no way to get home. So I took the train home on another guy. And I'm riding a subway like a commuter after this madness. And so I get home and my house was empty. But let me tell you, when you get home after an incident like that, home is the best place you can ever be. It's like something you strive for all day long to finally get there. Your home is your castle, it's it's your kingdom. At that moment, so I was just so glad my wife wasn't home. She ended up staying with other family members. So because that's how the city had a very strange vibe going on at that time. When it comes to that stuff, people were very nervous. So I go home and I had to take off that close because it was I wasn't caked in it, but I knew it was in my clothes, which was the debrief in the building, so I knew enough that that stuff was toxic. I knew from the smell of the burnt plastic. So I threw the clothes outside. I just left it there, you know, And I went up to my bathroom and I was hearing sirens like I had heard them, the sirens when I was walking through the city. I heard it on the subway, but I just figured it was sirens in the distance. And now in my house and I'm in a quiet area of Queen's I mean, I mean ailes from Manhattan, so I don't know what sirens I was hearing. And they kept going to my ear, and I kept going to my ear, and the sirens, siren, sirens. So I was taking a shower and I was hearing it over the water, So I said, this is a normal So I opened up my window and I heard it, but there was nothing outside. I couldn't see anything. I shut the shower off. I walked out in my hallway and the sirens were continuing. And then I went in my room and that's when I realized the sirens were from me, just hearing them constantly throughout the day, and I could not get that that siren sound out of my ears. It was just echoing.
Speaker 1: Just em better than you in your psyching. Reflecting on it now you talk about it, you've written about it, it must still and you said at the start of the podcast that, yeah, there's not a day that goes by where you don't don't think about it. After an experience like that, did you feel like I don't want to be part of this anymore? Or did it stir something different than you that you thought, Okay, well I want to stay and make a difference. What was the fear in your head, because I would imagine that a cross your mind experiencing something like that. The stuff is I'm going to get out of the city. I just want to leave a y life of peace. What was going through your mind after experiencing what you did on met day.
Speaker 2: I didn't really have the time to think about a future of my police work at that moment, because what I wanted to do was the first thing I did was I put on my construction boots and my pants and my heavy duty shirt, and I was my gloves. I had the heavy gloves on. I was ready to dig for survivors. And I went to work the next day and somebody I worked with drove me there, and I really wanted to get back into it. You know, the NYPD didn't have the time to, you know, really say Hey, what are you going to do. We're gonna do this, We're gonna do that. The playbook was still thrown out the window, and there was no playbook. There was no like, hey, John, come back at this time. I just went right back to the same location I was at. And when I went back into the city the next day, it was the next day and it was still nice out, but it had looked like a tornado went through the city, tore everything up, threw it in the air, and threw it back down on the floor. I looked downtown and I saw the building had these the metal you could see it now in old pictures, and I saw it directly. The metal structure of the facade. There was these four like beam looking things that didn't get knocked down, and they just like a fork, stood up in the air and there was all debris around it. And I couldn't believe that out of all that that stood like a relic. Was very odd. So I saw that, and then I was we couldn't find a parking spot, and then we were looking for parking spots next to carse with broken windows and debris filled in it, and it was like, wow, really something went through here yesterday because we were actually had a park closer than I was the day before.
Speaker 1: You you grew up in New York, you were a New York boy through and through. You're a cop in New York. What was the impact that it had from your observations it?
Speaker 2: Like I said, there was there was no madness. It was everything in a strange way, calms down, like even the subway ride was calm like. The next day, I was in uniform and people offered me a seat on the subway. That doesn't happen. People don't know what I need. City police officer seats on the subway, so I knew times were different. And as soon as I got back to one police plaza, I you know, the supplies started showing up right away. It was like America started grieving within the hours. And I saw cases of water. I you know. A stranger walked up to me and goes, hey, why don't you go down there to this block or upstairs? They're cooking steaks on the roof. So I'm like, yeah, I'm gonna go. I'll see in ten minutes. I don't know what this guy was talking about. I look back now, they were, you know, cooking steak for the city workers up on their roof, and guys were going taking their breaks up there. That was really happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's almost like the people understand the time of travel like that. Obviously it's probably an understatement, but the importance of the emergency workers and all that. So I've watched that what you see, you see the shows about it, I've read about it and all that, but this is the first time I've had the first hand account of someone that was there, and you bought it to life in the article that you wrote about and what you're talking about it. So thanks, Thanks for that we might take a break now, and when we come back for part two, we're going to delve into life of a New York cop because I'm fascinated by it. I've been watching those TV shows and those movies my whole career, and I've got my own police career over here. But there was something about being a cop in New York. It seemed to be the sharp end of policing. So when we come back for part two, if you could take us into the world of a New York cop, that would be very much appreciated. Sure, cheers,