Speaker 1: Hello, Welcome to the Daily Telegraph Eril Podcast. My name is Adam Mobbs. Back in the chair after a little bit of a hiatus. You have to leave me around the park for team of CADU Pam Whaley. How are you going good?
Speaker 2: How are you look?
Speaker 1: This is strange, isn't it. I've come back after a little while away and it has been a while. Our big desk has been replaced by a little desk.
Speaker 2: We've moved out of the nineteen nineties newsroom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about that?
Speaker 2: We're into YEA twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and not only that, we're also broadcasting into the Maddie John's feed for the next couple of weeks while Maddie's away on Olympic duty. Got to say, I'm a little concerned. I spoke to him on Thursday and he said, can't talk, cannot find my wallet on my passport.
Speaker 3: That's very brand.
Speaker 2: Do you have a minder there with him.
Speaker 1: To know the worst party? Well, he's you know, with Steve Crawley, I think over it from Fox, so he's not going over with Trish, his wife. So if you know Maddie, you know that he can't operate as a human being. Basically without Trish's help. So he is very worried, although he did pitch up. His first column idea was the top ten things that tourist shouldn't do in Paris, and then he was going to go and do them all. But I thought, when you go and see that the Eiffel Tower is guarded by people with machine guns, you think maybe you should.
Speaker 2: Maybe don't do that.
Speaker 4: Yes, especially around the Olympics where security is normally quite usened. Yeah, he might be before the Olympic seven start israels.
Speaker 2: Like it's going to be a bit of a holiday for Trish then too.
Speaker 1: Fo she'll only have the two kids rather than the three. But save travels. Mattie. We hope you're well over there because it's going to be a big couple of weeks. But speaking a big couple of weeks, run home Round twenty just got run and done. Your raid is still in the top eight Battle Big Week.
Speaker 4: Still in the top eight battle Honey, probably because of Chanelle Harris to Vida's hard training. Honestly, seeing him in the sheds afterwards, he just made a b line straight for the sheds. Couldn't even you know, didn't want to be out there for a second. But yeah, the Jamal foggerty back, I think that sort of made a bit of a difference as well, and I think it will make a bit of a difference on the run home. I think for Camera in the end, if they do end up missing the eight, they will look back on some of the games that they let slip during the year and rw those. But yeah, I didn't realize an interesting step on Canberra. I think they've won every single Basically, they are specialists at winning the tight games, six games I think with six points or less and this was another one.
Speaker 3: So they'd love that tight tussle.
Speaker 4: And that's kind of the side that Ricky Stewart has coach for years and years, that tough, pritty side that's always that's always in the contest. But yeah, I don't know there's such a scramble. Those last couple of positions in the top eight. I think won't be decided until late which is which is.
Speaker 1: Good, right, Yeah, yeah, you don't want everything.
Speaker 4: So I think the Warriors are probably getting towards the point where we start talking about them mathematically, and that's when you start.
Speaker 1: Saying, okay, you fence itter that once you get them mathematically, they can make it, put a line through them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's still a couple of I know we're probably jumping the gun here, but there's still a couple of buyers that will come into play, I think as well, because the Cowboys have one, the Broncos have one, the Knights have one, and Manly do too, so they can get themselves a little bit further in in the next seven weeks. Yeah, which all come at really good times.
Speaker 1: What about was the stat you were telling me before the Broncos do not have to leave Queensland now for the rest of the season unless they make the finals.
Speaker 4: Was somebody from the Broncos camppointed it out to me this morning. So that's sort of the only traveling they've got to do is they get on a flight to take on the Cowboys in Townsville. Outside of that, the further the further, saygo is the Titans Ravena. So yeah, and they do you have a buy in there, like Pam said, So it's set up quite nicely.
Speaker 3: Reno's back. He got through the game on the weekend.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you know it's a game at Suncourt with the Dolphins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you've got darbies, don't you. You've got Dolphins, Cowboys, Titans. They're tough games games. Yeah, you got the Eels. Tough game. Hey, two points we've got to buy. At the weekend, outstanding?
Speaker 3: You did it without Mitchell Moses ugly.
Speaker 1: Why didn't come here to get ridiculed. Well, I've got no other choice for it. Hey, what about at the weekend Nathan Cleary ice in his veins. You saw him forty five meters two point field goal. He's back baby. Although things were a little clunky early, the Dolphins got away to a good lead. Some of those passes weren't sticking him at a couple of veras Isaac Cataoa the Glenmore Park. Brumbi was back in penwithh showing his wares and basically what Penrith were upset at losing him before it actually played a first grade game. You know, the Dolphins had done their homework and looked into the nursery there at Penrith and picked him out, and he showed why. But Nathan Cleary is still just the man, isn't he He is?
Speaker 4: He is like if that that game was pretty much in the balance the whole way through, and it just sort of felt like it was inevitable that Nathan Cleary would come up with a clutch play a two point film goal.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen too many of them.
Speaker 4: I must say though, And like outside of Canberra, Penrith is sort of like, you know, my second favorite team.
Speaker 3: Have a bit of a soft spot for them.
Speaker 1: You're a grown up, you can have one, I know.
Speaker 4: But I was half cheering for the Dolphins, purely for Kutoa. I just think it would have been a beautiful story. It's such a great storyline. Cleary's understudy. It goes to Penrith sort of, you know, sinks the panther sinks Cleary on his return home he had a chance.
Speaker 3: He sort of bombed it. He'll learned from that.
Speaker 1: He didn't sort of bomb it was I think they I think they crept the bed. Sorry that I think with a couple of minutes to go ten meters out, you're not forty five meters out like Nathan clear it was, Yeah, there was no one running at you, and instead of dropping it over, you kicked for the corner for a bomb that hadn't really I know, Jack Boss Dooks eleven feet fourteen tall, but take the one point get the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, went for the glory player. I think instead of what is safe one, it's.
Speaker 4: A weird one because a field goal thinking Penrith is a glory player as well, So I just think, you know, yeah, he was a.
Speaker 2: Bit of a rush of blood probably too, which probably carried him all the way through this game. And it just kind of tipped over at the end there and then Nathan Cleary shows how it's done. It was, Yeah, it was so entertaining. Well we but am I that? Am I underestimating the Dolphins? Do you guys, what do you guys think about them for the rest of this season? Do you think that they can?
Speaker 4: I think, you know what, I think ken Reth game actually showed where they are. And yeah, Penrith they're three time premierships, but they were missing their five origin stars.
Speaker 3: They were missing with Ghana.
Speaker 4: They lost paul A Lamotti during that game with a broken arm, and to me, you know, not disrespecting any of the Penrith players that came in, but that was a team of rookies and pretty much depped players, and the Dolphins sort of struggled to really, you know, get on over them. So to me, that probably says gives you an indication of where the Dolphins are and I think the fact that under coach like Wayne Bennett, they are probably punching above their weight.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to call Wayne now, let him know what you said. I'm sure really wants to hear it.
Speaker 4: I'm would love to hear that a point and like losing in Golden Point is rubbing salt in Wayne's Golden Point.
Speaker 2: Woin.
Speaker 1: Well, we've sort of said this before off air, that that top eight race is so tight. Now the slip ups for mine, the Dogs and the Dolphins both looked up this round. I think Canby should have beaten the Cowboys. I don't believe the hype around the Cowboys at the moment. I think they've got a lot still to prove. They They should have been far too good at home. I know they had a lot of players backing up from them. Didn's terrific, but they're not the same team that made the Prelium Final a couple of years ago. They're still a long way off it. And that was was a chance for the Bulldogs who were and they could struggle now a little bit. The Dogs, with their injuries, they've got a toughish run home and some injuries to come. So in that really congested bottom half of the eight I don't know you've done a run home before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so I'm just looking at it right now. So as far as so for this is what the Dolphins for me. So they've got they had the Panthers obviously lost to the Panthers, and they've got the Titans, Roosters, Warriors, Bulldog, Storm, Broncos Nights. So I had them winning two of those games, and I don't.
Speaker 1: But if if it's not going to get in the top eighties.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's not. No, And that would have them finishing tenth.
Speaker 1: So what what about Serroaldo's men?
Speaker 4: So they've they've got a better run, I mean considering how well done.
Speaker 2: So they have Broncos and that's a game because that's that's a four point If they can take points off the chasing teams, that's that's a great result for them. So they've got Broncos, Raiders, Dragons, Dolphins, Warriors, Manly Cowboys.
Speaker 1: And they're all all in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so a great run of it, seriously is and then four who else? Were we just talking about?
Speaker 1: The Cowboys?
Speaker 2: The Cowboys? So I had the Cowboys finishing eighth, winning four of their last seven games. They've got a buy as well, So then they have winning three of their last seven, is that right? Yeah, so three of their last six games because they're seven rounds left. Sorry, So with the Cowboys here, so they have six games left with a buy, they play the Sharks, Tigers, Broncos, Raiders, Storm and Bulldogs. So yeah, I had them winning three of those Sharks, Tigers, Raiders.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean Canby, I mean Cannbry would go confident into the Raiders game, even the Dragon's game, the Dolphins, the Warriors, even Seagulls might give them some bit of trouble Cowboys at the end, they're depending on how all the Cowboys going. So I think you know, Canterbury could potentially win four of their last.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Can I get your thoughts too, Can I get your thoughts on Manly? They trounced the Titans in the in the des Hazler Bowl fail on Sunday. They were a couple of early tries they were on the back foot, but then they put the foot on the gas and she's a horrendous injury for the eye high hop Way. But Luke Brooks's running game came to the four. Tommy Travoyevitch just getting better and better. I wonder are they a team to challenge now for the top four because they're only they're only just outside it now. There are twenty five points the Roosters now that are in fourth on twenty six. Mainly if they can take that form away from home, potentially could threaten that top four and will consider continue my long held stat that there's always a team from outside the eight finishes in top four the next year. So they're basically my last hope for that one. But I don't know, can you believe mainly or do you think am I reading too much into a win over their Gold Coast?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: I guess there's the home factor as well, but there's no doubt that Tom Travoi, Bitch, Dse, Loupbrooks, you know, all looked really good on the weekend, and you need those three guys to look good if they're going to really challenge the top four. I mean I almost want them, like, you know, Loopbrooks first finals.
Speaker 2: Let's see what he can do.
Speaker 3: Let him loose, Yeah, let's see what he can do.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, you want the Street to be broken for Luke Brooks Finals Finals appearance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he deserves it. I don't know that.
Speaker 4: When they're on a roll, they look they just look so good and they can pile on so many points.
Speaker 3: But yeah, they've just been so inconsistent this year that I don't know if I trust them just yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, So they are that.
Speaker 4: Many outside of Panthers and Storm, and I'm sure we'll get it there pretty much aren't that many teams in that frame at the moment that I trust.
Speaker 2: So they have they play the Roosters this week, by then Raiders, Warriors, Tigers, Bulldogs, Sharks. So I had them winning all of those except for the Roosters game. Wow, and finishing fourth.
Speaker 1: That's that's a big result. That's that's a good draw for Manly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, although yeah, I mean and then if you look at how the Rooster's played against the Storm, it would probably say they're actually a chance of actually beating the Risters as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're one Tom Traboyvitch Hamstring away from that blowing up though.
Speaker 3: But let's not put the mock on those.
Speaker 1: Well he's big enough. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm sure. I'm sure I'm going to be deciding he w has the difference. You made a good point the Roosters. What's that record now against me against Melbourne and Penrith since twenty twenty one from twenty one from twenty I did say to Russell Jackson, our chief of staff, out there before those the Roosters mean that they are in fact flat track bullies, that they cannot beat the top end of town. But if you're a Roosters fan, you've got to be concerned that as good as our team looks on paper, they were thoroughly outplayed. You know, look at those names there, Jack Howarth, Josh King, Grant Anderson, and no disrespect to these guys, but on your reputation, the Roosters went into this match favorite.
Speaker 3: Anderson had played the game of his life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, horrific. The storm just and give themselves that little bit of a barrier at the top now and that top in that race for the minor premiership and the all important finishing top two to get a home final. I'd be really disappointed for I was a Rooster's fan and wondering whether we've got the ability to go with these teams.
Speaker 4: I did feel that that was a bit flat they were a bit flat, and I don't know how much of that had to do with all the Origin players backing up. Obviously Lindsay Collins started off the bench, Spencer was off the bench.
Speaker 3: There's no trade. Were a hard grave.
Speaker 4: Brandon Smith probably didn't, you know, in a game like that, where there's so many players backing up from Origin, especially in the forward pack, you sort of expect him to lift a little and didn't get that. He was completely outgunned by his opposite in Harry Grant. But also they had two players in the bin, so that's sixty minutes with twelve men against a storm. You know that they're going to make going to make you pay. And one sort of I think because of their position on the ladder. One thing that sort of has gone under the radiar a little bit with the Roosters this year. Is it the most penalized team And we saw.
Speaker 3: It from the.
Speaker 2: Especially when they're going, well, we're having a good season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I always think that might be a tactic, you know, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Wonder whether that's the case that you know, it's not not for sin bins, but if they're happy to give away an indiscretion of penalties, or something close to long, because it's much easier to defend on a set line. But the way that Robbo blows up at the referees or at certain decisions, I don't know if that's whether it is a ploy that they genuinely going with, saying, okay, we'll we'll back ourselves to defend, but against all.
Speaker 3: The timers are trying the same ploy, but it's not working for them.
Speaker 2: No where the Rusters kind of walk that line they kind of tried.
Speaker 3: And then you know.
Speaker 4: Tom Young sort of great on the on the attacking side of the ball, but has really struggled defensively and struggled defensively against the Storm like a couple of misreads caught out a couple of times. I don't know how much, you know, if Joey Manu Who's could be back this week.
Speaker 3: But probably next week, how much that helps that right edge.
Speaker 4: So yeah, there are there are things. You know, luc Key probably didn't have his best game in a while. Sam Walker wasn't as prolific as we know he can be. So there are some you know, bumps after that Storm game.
Speaker 3: For the Roosters.
Speaker 4: I would say, yeah, but apparently the one, the one from twenty games against Penrith and the Storm, according.
Speaker 3: To Robert, is not psychological. So if it's not psychological, it's got.
Speaker 1: To be they. I wonder whether do they have another gear to get to the roosters? Can they find that form in the next six weeks?
Speaker 4: Oh, that's a good question. Do they have another gear?
Speaker 3: On paper?
Speaker 1: You would have stuff on paper pay if.
Speaker 4: You saw that team, you'd go, okay, yeah, you know Tedesco Smith, Kirey Walker in the spines, Lenny were hard Graves in the pack, Victor Radley, Angus Crichton, who's been the form back grower probably up until this game. So they should they should talent wise, they should have another.
Speaker 2: Gear, but have a very good draw as well, so they play manly this week. Dolphins by Para Titans, Raiders Rabbit.
Speaker 1: O's yeah, winnable, winnable run because let's.
Speaker 2: Say whether or not, like they could you know, theoretically win through to the end of the year, and if they're serious, they should do that. But then it's whether or not they once it gets to you know, week one, week two of the finals, like what are they going to be able to actually.
Speaker 1: Do it this year? I know, history is there to be made and broken and whatever else. But if you don't finish top four, the odds say you don't win the premiership, you know, and that's so top four finishes absolutely necessary. So they've got that game against Manly is huge as a result they haven't a look at what you said about Manly's run home. That's massive for them now because and no disrespect to the Bulldogs, Dolphins, Careboys, Dragons, Raiders.
Speaker 3: All those, they're probably making up numbers.
Speaker 1: You're making up numbers when you know you've got a Panthers team that continues to win. No dealing, there was no Brian no leam martin as. They just keep finding ways to win. Yeah, they shouldn't probably shouldn't have won that game on Sunday, but they still did it. And then the Storm who they were. There was a crazy stat that the tab had earlier this year that they were four dollars to finish in the top four. This year they started the season four dollars and they haven't finished outside of the top four in years and punters and fans continue to underestimate them and go, oh, they can't keep doing can't keep doing it.
Speaker 3: But they're two points ahead of Penrith, Like it's one of those ones. I think they're going under the rain a little bit.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe that win against the Roosters sort of put them in everybody's front of mine. But I think before then, you know, we probably look at the ladder all the time, and every time I was like, oh, surprise, Melbourne's four points ahead, six points ahead.
Speaker 2: So I think you look at the team list though, and go they shouldn't be doing this. Yeah, they still managed to do it. It's incredible, Like you've struggled for ways to keep talking about it because it's just it's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And a team without Camera Munster for.
Speaker 2: The majority of yeah, like you would think, you know, taking Camera Monster out of that team, who's obviously, you know, one of the best players in the game, so influential, and just they just keep winning.
Speaker 3: Well, it hasn't just been Monster, right, They've been with that Pappenhausen for mines season.
Speaker 4: Some of their forwards, you know, outside back, so they haven't had coats for a few weeks. And then they bring in Sawa far Logo, who's got this ridiculous strikerate at the moment because he's been coming off the bench last couple weeks. I think he's got two tries last week from three runs and one try on the weekend from two runs.
Speaker 3: So he's a he's a freak.
Speaker 4: So and he might get a chance with Anderson going down with the knee injury. So I hold you say to talk about far logo, even though he is sort of seen as a fullback, that he could probably get the job done on the wing as well. So yeah, you know, even Jack Harworth, I remember about twelve eighteen months ago talking to people around the club about him, and I was sort of a little bit tentative about his development, sort of a little bit worried about his development, and all of a sudden, he's been given a shot, and yeah.
Speaker 1: Well let's put that into perspective. So when that conversation first happened, he was one of I think five players in the game it even been fired that had that were locked down for five year deals. He hadn't even played first grade yet, and he was one of the guys who was locked down the longest of anyone in the competition, and just they kept going next, next man up, next man up, and we didn't see Jack Howarth, and he was playing on the edge for the Sunshine Coast Falcons, whether it was back row or center, and we never quite saw him. And then he got that chance last year when the storm basically rested everyone and put him in said okay, well here he is, and sort of went okay. But it seems it was Fandy's feet this year. Yeah, it was really interesting.
Speaker 2: Ability don't they just to have the right timing for these players and not really throw them in before they're ready or yeah, yeah, they're incredible.
Speaker 3: But not only that they didn't give up on him.
Speaker 4: Would have been other clubs who would have gone, maybe we pulled the wrong rain here signing him on like a long term like five year deal. He hasn't come through yet, but they persisted on.
Speaker 1: Good money too. Yeah. So, and but he's been a success story. Just I said, the patience of the storm and bringing these guys through making the right choices terrific. I want it.
Speaker 2: I was just going to say, so we will were we going to talk about, like Penrith, who who's the favorite now, Penrith or Melbourne?
Speaker 1: What do we think after.
Speaker 4: Seeing Nathan Cleary and knowing that he's pretty much close to being at his best again, maybe he was a little bit rusty on the weekend.
Speaker 3: They're so hard to go past. They're so hard to go past.
Speaker 1: Penrith after just having a crack at all the critics for refusing, for refusing to acknowledge Melbourne and for underestimating them, to underestimate them again, say Penrith, Because yeah, I will say this.
Speaker 4: I think if Penrith don't win the Grand Final this year, it'll be a while before they win another title.
Speaker 1: Oh god, jeez, what time is that ten thirty eight on the AIG state saying.
Speaker 4: That they won't be top four, that they won't be title contenders. I just think people will underestimate the loss of Fisher Harris, underestimate the loss of the Wis. I like the underestimated the loss of Stephen Crichton, I reckon a little bit. So I think losing those guys because when you think about it, there's been some good forwards coming through, like the Lindsay Smiths, and we've heard stuff about Jack Cole and the rest of it.
Speaker 3: In the halves, but the gap between them feels like too big to breach.
Speaker 1: So I'm like Michael Jordan the Last Dance, You're the champs until you're beaten. And that's the way I kind of look at Penrith. I think that I will not back against them winning the title until someone knocks them over because I just think they've got all the tools there.
Speaker 2: We'll find out in round twenty four when they play each other.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this game of the year so far.
Speaker 1: I can't make a segue to the next topic. But you're looking at the run sheets, so that's why you're That's why you're giggling about Paramata.
Speaker 2: How's that?
Speaker 1: So we make that missile sound.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a segue. What Penrith? I don't think Paramatta will win a title in a very long time?
Speaker 1: Wow, can I get Jason Ryle's on the phone for that conversation? So Buzz Rothfield reporting that the Eels will undergo a major overhaul under Jason Roles. We knew that was going to happen. But Buzz saying that he's considering naming state of origin hero Mitchell Moses, who by the way, gave up sacrificed his body for this state, so I show a little bit more respect for paramatter everybody. As the new skipper to replaced Clint Garthason and obviously junior Barlow and Gutho were at co captains and saying that Gotho could be under pressure to retain that fullback role with talk that Blaze Telang will be offered that role and the indicating that interim coach Trent Barrett won't be offered a role under Jason. Roles and roles in Trent Barrett are actually close, you know, was his captain?
Speaker 3: Was he?
Speaker 1: Yeah? From their drag and stutus So interesting, But thoughts.
Speaker 2: On that, I think it's probably a change that needs to happen, right Like we've we've talked about, you know, the big personalities at Paramatta and the the lack of leadership within some of those senior players at the moment, Maybe just to change is exactly what they need in just shaking things up. I don't think anything the way that they've gone this year, anything could be should be guaranteed either point. So they realize that something massive needs to change because they have a lot of talent on that roster, something needs to to shift to get them going a little bit. So if it's Midge Moses as captain and the easy halfback, it kind of makes sense. To me, it's not controversial.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he is the half back and it does make sense in that way, But how much difference is as a captain is he going to be then Clink Guthison.
Speaker 2: It's just taking I wonder if it's just taking a little bit of not heat or it's just taking a little bit of that the eyes off Clint Guthison at the back and potentially framing him for a move somewhere else. Whether or not, I don't necessarily think maybe out of the club, but just out of fullback.
Speaker 1: I think out of fullback is And I'm going to preface this by saying I love Gutho as a player. I think he's Guo.
Speaker 4: Is one of the most underrated. Yeah, Like I know, he's had his moments and he's been picked in Origin and he's played in the Grand Final, But in terms of like effort, I think he's one of the most underrated players.
Speaker 1: In a gain. Yeah, he's talking at the back, he's positioning. It's all there in saying that the Eels are still running sixteenth and I'm not that's not saying you put it down to one person, but you know, we go back twelve months when the Eels were looking for X factor and they were talking about Jayden Campbell and they were talking about where do we find this guy. You've got Blaze to Lungey there, who's who did not take up his player option for next season, so he's able to go and other clubs are clamoring for him. You, if you're Jason Rowls, you need to keep Blaze to Lungey. And because he if that, that will be a massive loss for a club that's already you know, I can handle losing Ethan Sanders to Canberra because Ethan Sanders is just a seven. I'm not saying that he's just a seventh, but he's a halfback. So you've got Mitch Moses ahead of you. You want first grade, You're not going to get it there at the moment. Enough Blaze to Lungey can play around the place.
Speaker 3: You're not the halves if they need to reshuffle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so you want to keep him at all Hoss and he's got a younger brother, Rider who just got named in the schoolboys Schoolboys Championships and playing prop. His dad coaches at Cabramatta in the area. He's as paramatter as it gets so you need to you need to keep him. And the fact that Gotho, he's twenty nine, will be thirty when next season starts. But he's a guy that had a couple of knee surgeries, and you do a lot of effort at the back at Paramatta in a lot of wars.
Speaker 4: You say, I don't think if that move does happen next year and Gutho goes into the centers and too long he goes it goes into fullback, I don't think that's necessarily like a controversial move or even like you know, not a massive call by Roles anyway. I just feel like it's probably a natural progression from Gotho considering the toll that the work rate, that the effort has taken on his body, particularly this year. And I remember speaking to Gutho maybe right before Brad Arthur was was sacked, and he was just talking about how, you know, because he does everything at a hire percent, training is always at one hundred percent, one hundred and ten percent.
Speaker 3: He never takes a backward step, never takes you.
Speaker 4: Know, an off day. He's one of the fittest guys. And this year is sort of the first time with that knee injury, he's sort of gone, Okay, where I can I need to rest my body, I need to take a step back a little bit, so and maybe moving him out of that fullback role where he is one hundred and ten percent every single week might actually help preserve and prolong his body. So I don't think it's like a moving te LUNGI there. Like you said, who's this sort of viewed as the X factor that Power have been looking for. Isn't as controversial as people might think.
Speaker 2: So I don't think yeah. I just I don't think yeah. I don't think it is. I think they need a little bit of like a spark, like some speed something in that back line. And as we said, like Gotho is a warrior. But if he's still in the team, that's great. He's still going to be working out, he's still going to be everywhere. He's still he's still going to be setting a lot of those standards.
Speaker 1: While we're sitting in the Maddie John's podcast feed for the next couple of weeks, I see this question. Maddie and his column pitched up moving Gutho to five eighth. The partner Mitch Moses and then Dylan Brown to thirteen, so he could play both sides of the ruck and attack.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts on that one? H, I don't know, Dylan Brown, No, I think that's the halfs combination, right, Yeah, I feel like Dyl Brown and yeah, and Midge's that's the Halves combination.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I feel like Dyl Brown is.
Speaker 4: Only just we've seen sort of glimpses of how good he can be, and he's only just sort of scratching the surface of his potential.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if I'm an IELs fan.
Speaker 4: We've signed him long term to be, you know, Mitchell Moses Halves partner. I sort of want to see what you get for that money. So defensively, I don't know. Defensively is then the other question you have to ask is these days mostly are the glue in the defensive line.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Well, Maddie's thoughts around that were that he like he'd like to see Dylan both sides of the ruck getting the ball. He thinks he'd be really dangerous, kind of the role that we thought Calen Pongher might play in Origin three last week, which didn't really eventuate. Defensively, I raised that same question with him, and he said, well, back in the old days, the locks used to just defend three in from the sideline anyway, so you could have your winger, your center, and then you know whether you put your your five eight there and then he defends one in next to maybe a Jermaine Hopgood or someone who may be forced to an edge there, or Ryan Madison if he's still there amid this clean out, that roles will go through because you know, Madison's defended in the middle. Hopgods defended in the middle, so Dylan Brown wouldn't necessarily be out of Place'll be a switch a little bit, but.
Speaker 2: Interesting the creativity, and I think they probably do need a little bit of a switch up in how that forward pack plays as well, like some different body shapes. And it's been quite the same for a little while now, has.
Speaker 1: It, you know?
Speaker 2: They Yeah, they probably do need someone that has that real ball playing ability and can kind of roam around a little bit. Yeah, I like it from creativity. I don't know.
Speaker 1: You don't sound sold.
Speaker 2: I'm not sold. Yeah, jeez, are you sold? What you feels fair?
Speaker 1: I think there needs to be a shake up lot. You said something has to change because stale is not the right word, but it's like you said, there's been a lot of similar types and similar roles and yeah, you look at I know there everyone's saying that Paramotter's roster is you know, it's better than a Wooden spoon roster, which they're currently fighting for, but I don't know if it's as strong as some people make out at times. So even though there's guys, you know, Sean Lane was Player of the Year a couple of years ago, Jamain Hopgods had had some you know, since coming from penrith's been good. We've spoken about the Halves and Gutho, but number nine is still a big issue there for mine whether Matt Arthur continues to developing that role or they have to go out and find somebody. But there's no one on the market, is there. Where do you go and find these guys? And there's a forward pack that's getting getting old really quickly, and all of a sudden you're going to go, oh, hang on, You've got these younger guys at other clubs that are making those yards and punching holes and you're seeing what the Spencer Lenus of the world are doing in the Origin arena going, okay, well where's that at Para and Eels have these young guys of Charlie Geimer, the kid from Tomorrow is terrific. Yeah, Tovadi coming through the you know, young PreK coming through. So they've got these guys. But I think a little bit.
Speaker 4: When they're in their late teens too, it's sort of different to bloodying, like an outside back who's at eighteen. But then like, and I know that you say, are the forward pack sort of aging quickly? But I'm just thinking off the top of my headn't like Junior Paulo and Reagan Campbell guard thirty.
Speaker 1: Thirty? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Maybe even yeah like that.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you're in your late twenties, you know, thirty, that's sort of where you're supposed to be peaking.
Speaker 2: At a forward right, but not maybe aging isn't even the right word. It's like they've their ceiling. Has the reached ceiling?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Jinnia Paulo's thirty you know, Yeah, I don't know, I don't. I think you keep you keep Dylan Brown and Mitch Moses as your hearts and if you want Brown to roam both sides of the rock, why not roam both sides of the rock. You know, this idea that one half has to play one side of the field and the other on the other side of the field. I mean even Penrath sort of have a similar setup. But if either Jerome Luai or Nathan Cleary, you know, if there's a set play or they see something, you see them, you know, breaking on both sides of the field. So there's no reason why Dylan Browns a runner, right, There's no reason why he couldn't sort of take on that role.
Speaker 1: It's going to be fascinating to see what Jason Rowles does with that.
Speaker 3: What do you make a bar to being there? Sorry to interrupt, Oh, that's okay.
Speaker 2: I was just going to say. I spoke to Gotha a couple of weeks ago about all of this, and he was very open to everything. He realizes that there's going to be a big change, and there needs to be because he just wants to win. Whatever they're doing at the moment, he's not working. They just want to win, So come in, shake it up, do something new because it's not working.
Speaker 1: Because it's funny. Obviously, he's got a good pedigree. Jason Roles, having coached under some of the best, but we haven't seen him with his own team. He hasn't been a reserve grade coach where you've seen the system or the style that he's playing. So it's going to be interesting to see what differences he implements from where he's been previously. You know, roosters and storm and.
Speaker 4: Every really advantage for the Eels early next year because it makes it hard for opposition coaches to prepare for them because they don't know what they're going to get well to adjust them.
Speaker 3: I'm just wishful.
Speaker 1: I'm just get ready for spoon ball around twenty seven against the Tigers at Campbelltown.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's gonna be so much fun.
Speaker 1: Oh can we just staple Mitch Moses's biceps back together just for that last game? Something?
Speaker 3: Probably could.
Speaker 2: He's done his job this year exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's earned his rest, thanks so much.
Speaker 1: The other thing we're going to talk today is Buyers of the Year. Yeah, six rounds ago, we've seen everybody in their place value for money. Who's you'll pick from this season?
Speaker 2: Definitely Stephen Crichton.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I think I probably did, along with a lot of other people, underestimate his leadership abilities. And maybe it was just because he was so there's so many you know, big leaders in big personalities over a pan refew and you know, superstars who kind of take the spotlight and maybe it took him stepping out of that to really step into his full potential. But I just think he's been amazing this year with what he's been able to do at the Bulldogs and obviously you know for New South Wales as well. He's only young, what is he twenty three or something? Yeah, like just so much potential in him, such a long, exciting future. So yeah, I think crazy good.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, not to be boring, but I think it's going to be stupid Crichton.
Speaker 2: But just in.
Speaker 4: Terms of you know that the influence that he seemed to have on that Cannaby team, you know, like Siro was looking for that leadership, is looking for.
Speaker 3: That winning culture.
Speaker 4: You know, that's what turns things around, right, winning culture, and it takes the right guy with the right winning culture. I mean we heard the stories about him straight after Origin, how he's up at five am in recovery making sure he can back up, and he's just such an the ultimate competitor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, so.
Speaker 2: He's so likable as well, just such a good guy. He's just a lovely kind of guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well what about throw it differently. He'll be farm Worth for the fact that he's been really good at the Dolphins left side, there's been tremendous, but also how much Brisbane have struggled without him. They've lacked some punch and I know Dean Marin has shown little bits of it and I think he's going to be a really good first grader. But I think they've massively missed. You know, when the Dolphins announced Toby farm Worth and Tom Flegler basically the start of last season, they were good signings. By the time we got to the Grand Final, they were great signings because of the seasons they've had and obviously Flegler's shoulder injury with that nerve, that scary nerve is concerned, but obviously good news. On the weekend, Peter Badell reporting that probably won't play again this season but could be right again for next season, that the nerve in that shoulder is not dead. But I think for what he's for, what Broncos have lacked without him shows what a signing that he's been for them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he has the other one, I would say, and this is probably more recently that we've sort of seen what he's future might be, like, it's Spencer Lanu. Yeah, because I remember when he signed with the Roosters. I was like, isn't he just going from Penrith to the Roosters to be another bench player like that sort of didn't make sense to me. And he built a reputation as one of the best impact forwards, right But now you see him and you think, okay, you know, and he's got the crazy eyes on and he's running from the back fence like this. He might be the guy who you know, Jared hands over the mantle too. And I know they've got guys like toll May and there's Ninsey Collins there, but there's just something a little bit different about Spence. He gives me the Jared hard Graves spiritual leader vibes. So he's another one who I think has in the last you know, four five, six weeks, has been incredible.
Speaker 2: Some of the other ones we got here, so Nathan Brown obviously it's been great for her Manly Tommy Tallau has been to con Tracy, Jean Blais good at the Storm, So I was really excited to see what he could do at Melbourne. Like he's just been one of the those kids who has had a really tough run of injury. He's had you know, a cl here, a cl there, and then just didn't quite get moving at the Tigers after he came from Penrith and then going down to Melbourne. You just you know, anyone who's going to go into that Melbourne system, they're going to get the best out of them.
Speaker 1: So we West Tigers, what are you doing. I know you've got I know you've got a lot of young forwards there and you've you know, you've got papaly Ian Klamor and Bateman or whatever. But number one, if the Melbourne Storm interest in one of your players, have another look at him. You remember his debut, Seawan Blall was up against Paramatta and he had a run in with Nathan Brown is on this list and they interviewed him off of the game and he basically said, how good this? I love this? That was awesome and he was so excited. I love the way he plays and he's just add him to another list of on that list of players the Tigers let go because it's basically a player swat with Justin Olam, and I don't think Olam's proved value for money as he's.
Speaker 3: Injured, he's had it.
Speaker 4: He's sort of I think he carried a knee injury to the Tigers and that's probably something that he's had to manage to be there.
Speaker 3: Ye swat but as yeah.
Speaker 1: But so if he did the Tigers know about that when they were I don't know. I just concerns. Yeah, anyway, we'll see, We'll see what they do next year because I was really I was gave a little cheer on the weekend when Lucky Galvin tallon de Silver Dream Buller and that's the future for the Tigers. Those three guys that was they linked up for that try and I thought, oh god, there's just there's something that they might have been able to do something. At the weekend, as a Paramatta fan been fearing the spoon, I was found myself cheering out of my seeking what to try. But there's some talent there. They just need to They need drum Leui there as soon as possible, and they need a full off season to find their identity and figure out to win.
Speaker 4: They still haven't figured that out. Yet, which is a fair enough assessment. As brutal as it sounds, what's.
Speaker 1: Are we up to our stint of what are you watching? Or do we have anything else? We've gone through it? You can lead this away. This is like MC's questions because it sounds like you're right in the way.
Speaker 3: I am absolutely not.
Speaker 4: I'm probably out of our normal crew. The one who isn't the movie buff. I am currently watching super Cell, which is on Netflix, and I really don't know how to describe it other than like a London based superhero.
Speaker 3: Superhero TV series.
Speaker 4: It's very bringeable, very watchable. So basically it's a bunch of Londoners who somehow start discovering that they've got superpowers. But I'm not up to the I think what I begin to figure out is there superpowers, a superpowers somehow based on sickle cell, which is a disease that mostly only effects black people. But I haven't gone that far ahead yet though. There's like a parallel storyline about that. But it's really cool, so it's like pretty much like a superhero movie. Interesting, it's a new wage superhero movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not we spoke about with ready. I just started watching. I started watching the Boys and that was the my new intro into superhero stuff. So is it good?
Speaker 3: It's enjoy Yeah, yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah good. I just started watching so House of Dragon, so we wanted to save it up for a couple of weeks, just so that we could binge it over a couple of days. So I think five episodes in or so yep, and loving this. I was a big Game of Thrones fan and loved the first season of House of Dragon as well. And this has been Yeah, this has been great. This is actually encouraging me to go back. We finished episode five I think last night, and then went back and started watching some more.
Speaker 1: Someone told me it's better than season one.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they said it was almost Game of Thrones level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's more, there's a lot more action, would you say, yeah, yeah. This happens two hundred years before the events of Game of Thrones, so it's kind of setting up or the kind of the battle for the for the Throne. But lots of dragons, which you know, I love. I hate when they make the dragons fight the big sky puppies. Yeah, but it's it's really good. Loving it. If you're a Game of Thrones fan, you haven't dived into it. Yeah, dive into this one. It's really good.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, I've got kids off on school holidays at the moment, so they're annoying me and wanting to watch stuff. But we're doing disaster movies at the moment. We did Agedin at the weekend, so nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was good to have a list of disaster movies that you're gonna watch.
Speaker 1: We've we just sit there and pick off it. If anyone's got any suggestions. Adam dot Mobs at news dot com that au we've gone through everything with the kids. We've gone through We went through Labyrinth and all the great goonies and eighties movies. We've done the Day after Tomorrow, we've done all the Jurassic Parks and so now disaster movies of this genre we're going back through again because I figured we're going to go and see Twisters or once it comes in onto you know, because we haven't seen the original Twister yet, so we might do Twister and the Twisters. Yeah, because I know about you, but where I'm saying with you is binging. We sort of leave things until there. But yeah, oh the yeah, and especially thinking Bruce Willis at the moment with what he's going through with his health battles. I love watching Bruce Willis movie.
Speaker 2: So have you done the Diehards? No, too hectic for the kids.
Speaker 1: Maybe it might be a little bit a bit of language in there that gets to them as well. So then I'm quite old enough for that. But yeah, that's that's where we are. But any suggestions center through because I like the fact that I'm bringing the kids up as movie buffs a little bit, so they do a little.
Speaker 2: Bit of education, hope for the next gen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although we're Wilson was in there. They said, oh that's the guy from not at the Museum. Yeah, yes, he was sodding crashes.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, that's not yet he was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: That's what read his favorite quote of the I just yeah, goodness, great, well, gods, this has been terrific. It's nice to be back. Yeah, the new set. Yeah, I'll be giving out schools at the end of the week.
Speaker 3: So three two one.
Speaker 2: This is just as good as a trip to Paris, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I know, is anyone getting any sleep in the next couple of weeks or yes?
Speaker 2: No, no, because we have NRLW starts on Thursday as well, so huge. Yeah, gonna be a big.
Speaker 1: Couple of Make sure you go and check out PM's Top fifty Players, which is coming out in Tuesday's papers and online.
Speaker 3: Club by Club Club by Club guy if you haven't seen that yet.
Speaker 2: Yeahurday Games. Tell me what I've got wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although I look at you number one, I'm happy with that.
Speaker 4: I thought it was Yeah, okay, don't real people have to go see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get stressed about those things.
Speaker 1: There's a lack of Eels representation in there, but maybe that was probably complicit with when they went last season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well there's a couple you think of three yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Thanks for stopping by, everyone, and we'll see you for Thursday's podcast.