Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the final episode of the Bali series. I'm now back in Australia and I've spent the last forty eight hours reflecting following the online discourse this content has created. And you know, this trip was initially just meant to be about exploring the ever changing, unrealistic beauty standards forced upon us and the impact that influencers actually have on those who follow them.
Speaker 2: Whole internet note is talking about this rib controuring.
Speaker 3: It's rib contouring, not removal, because revel would be stupid.
Speaker 1: But over the last week or so, it's become something much bigger than that.
Speaker 2: Where did you find out about this rib conturing surgery? Because it's not it's not currently available in Australia.
Speaker 1: And in a weird way, it's become about all of us, let me get my ribs done?
Speaker 4: How we view ourselves? Is it dangerous?
Speaker 5: Like it feels like a proper body modification that could be dangerous?
Speaker 4: How we view those around us?
Speaker 6: And I want to say, like, I reckon.
Speaker 2: Kylie Jennar for sure has gotten this done.
Speaker 1: And the hypocrisy, double standards and performative outrage that is rampant, not just across the influencer industry, but society, and.
Speaker 4: She's not advocating for the procedure.
Speaker 1: I will say now in advance that this podcast is going to anger a lot of people with.
Speaker 4: Blue ticks on Instagram.
Speaker 1: And in this episode, you're gonna hear me talk to someone from below Deck who has now had the rib surgery done in Bali.
Speaker 7: My friends were like, you're not actually gonna do that.
Speaker 6: That's insane.
Speaker 1: And you're gonna hear from people like Stella, who shares her own surgical regrets for the first time.
Speaker 2: But was it worth it? Was it really really worthy? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I'm also gonna call out some people who may respond and bite back, and I'm gonna share a story from Bali that I haven't yet, which I'm not gonna lie breaks my heart a little bit.
Speaker 4: I'm very big on my body, my chol and.
Speaker 1: I'm also going to expose a side of the influencer world. It seems that no one is ever brave enough to yes my choice. But personally, I'm sick of biting my tongue.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I think my body my choice, you know.
Speaker 1: I like, So, with this extra dramatic intro out of the way, I want to hear my body, my choice, my choice.
Speaker 4: Let's finally get to it. Yeah, the truth, I'm not.
Speaker 8: Saying it loud, and I want to hear my body, my choice.
Speaker 4: This is going to be a long episode. To bear with me, please.
Speaker 1: Firstly, some of you have asked why most of my content is just focused around Beck, who was so set on getting the rib contouring surgery. Then she backed out on the day of it to spend more time contemplating it. But as of right now, the point I'm recording this on Thursday, I believe that she will go through with it. And the reason I have focused mostly on Beck is because she's just someone I know the most, and there was a real story there, and there were so many wider points to make off her story, and for me to then bring in, like everybody else, to other influencers, in my opinion, it would just lose the impact of the points I've been raising, and you know, with all those other voices, I also thought it would start to just feel like I'm endorsing this surgery, which, as I've said from the very start, I'm not. But when Beck did back out and I later saw a girl named Ali Dare who some of you may know from below deck sat by the pool the day after her surgery, wearing the corset thing you must wear for ten weeks afterwards, which permanently shapes their ribs that they've just had fractured and turned inwards. I did ask her if we could have a little chat, and that was just well to get the perspective of someone post surgery, to just see, well, how was it? And just like I'd asked Beck and Athena, what made you come here and actually go through with this.
Speaker 9: Shot here away?
Speaker 6: And course it Yes, So I'm in the corset.
Speaker 7: So I'm going to be stuck in this for the next ten to.
Speaker 9: Twelve weeks, oh every day, like day and night.
Speaker 7: Yeah, twenty four to seven. But to be honest, it actually feels good. It feels when I take it off to shower, it feels, i don't know, like my body's too.
Speaker 6: Free post surgery. Two days post surgery.
Speaker 7: And when it's on it feels like just it's like hugging everything. It's like keeping everything nice and like.
Speaker 6: Tight and compact.
Speaker 5: So I will say that I'm surprised how energetic like, because there's this everyone nobody knows what the surgery is I didn't know what it was I'm hearing, but what did I still didn't know.
Speaker 1: And then just a heads up if you thinking, hey Josh, that audio shit, don't worry. I know this was because this chat was like just so quick and unplanned. And as I said, I saw Ali by the pool and I was like, yeah, oh, can we just hop for a few minutes? And I thought it would just be a few minutes, but you'll hear it went a little bit longer.
Speaker 5: So they've made a tiny needle point thinging your side yep, and then through that and then it all just sound like kind of like reshape your bottom ribs. Yes, And then this is what now holds it in place permanently keep them there.
Speaker 7: So basically I have control now. So the first week you just kind of keep it compact, but now I have control. It's got these little toggles, so this tightens it, okay. And if I want to be teeny tiny waist, I can tighten it like crazy tight. If I want more natural, more like human like, ye, I can.
Speaker 6: Sort of just keep it.
Speaker 7: See, you have complete control over what sort of result you have at the end with the corset, which is wild to me.
Speaker 4: Well, I didn't know at that time.
Speaker 1: Was as Ali and I were chatting Stella from this year's season and married at first sight. She just posted a TikTok and after she saw all of my posts about the strip in Bali, she revealed in her post that she was almost here, sat amongst us and this is her explaining why she ended up declared the offer of this trip.
Speaker 2: I personally myself was also invited to go on that journey with Snatched Waste, and I have most respect for the people who are creating the business and the opportunity for the women and men to change their body structure. I took an utmost care to actually get to understand what the type of surgery it is, because that is a surgery. Okay, it's not teeth cleaning for fifteen minutes. It's a surgery you go under. That's the one. And I also had to consider does this actually align with me and who I am as a person. And I didn't say straight away no, because curiosity, you know, I got the better of me, and I have at the end of the day, was intrigued, you know, And after listening to the surgeon talking about it, if that procedure was ever on the top of my mind to do so, I would have, but since I never thought about it and it's the last thing that I probably would think about at the end of the day, I was like, nah, that would be just not something I would want to do, right, And just because someone and something is given for you for free doesn't mean you have to take.
Speaker 1: Interestingly though, where Estella sat with that offer for a little while, and you know, although the appeal of a smaller waste did briefly appeal to her, she ultimately said no because this is just not something she's ever considered doing, but with Ali. When I asked her reasons, she said that after she was also reached out and offered this procedure in exchange for some social media coverage, she raced to her decision.
Speaker 7: And my friends were like, you're not actually going to do that, that's insane. I was like, well, I never knew this was a thing, but now that it's on my radar, I kind of want it. That is going to be like a lot of people are probably going to hear that and be like, that's ridiculous. It's not like you've been sitting here thinking for years. This is something that's going to be life.
Speaker 6: Changing for me.
Speaker 9: It's very ridiculous, to be honest, I know.
Speaker 7: I am such an impulsive person. I know that's not like a positive trait. It's not the best trade at all. I'm such an impulsive person. But when I get an idea in my head, I'm very obsessive about it. And so once I had the idea in my head, I'm like, like I was saying to you before, I was watching the Sports Illustrated swim show that was on recently, and I was studying all their bodies and bodies that I've always thought are beautiful.
Speaker 6: With the same shape as what I was. And then I woul when you say, what presearch two days ago? Yeah, okay, ten years.
Speaker 7: Ago when I was involved old timy times.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So now, so I'm watching it because I was trying to give myself a bit of perspective. I was trying to be realistic about this idea that I've started to obsess over. And then I was looking at some of the other body shapes and the curves and the hourglasses, like, but I love that shape too. And the way that they described the entire process was very minimally invasive. It's only a forty five minute procedure. You know, there's no roobs being removed, there's no nothing getting broken. It's just kind of a softening of the tissue and just the surface of the bone. And then the contrary with the corset. So I thought, oh, it sounds so chill.
Speaker 9: I know it's no.
Speaker 5: I mean, like I came here to document this and kind of find out the reasons why so many people are doing.
Speaker 9: The surgery, and the reason just seems to be cool.
Speaker 7: Why not I know, we're all doing the yolo thing because it's not being on any about radar because it's not in Australia.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be honest. Now, I liked Ali when I met her. I thought she was lovely. She had a great energy and just like a really friendly vibe to her. But I had to politely push back on that yolo response and just let her know, well, like just how dangerous that is because of her job title.
Speaker 9: But do you.
Speaker 5: Worry that that is gonna that is going to piss people off?
Speaker 9: Of course, and you have like quite a big following.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and like they're all, I mean, you're already documenting this, yeah, and they're going to see this, and it's essentially they're going to go, well, Ali's done it, so I want to do it because look how good she looks.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I mean, I definitely, yeah, I definitely don't like the idea of influencing people in that sense.
Speaker 5: But job title is influencer. So that's why I'm like, why we are doing this?
Speaker 6: I know, I know, and you're absolutely right, like I don't.
Speaker 7: It's just like I and the last person on this planet that people should be following, Like I'm the lemming jumping off a cliff, you know, I'm.
Speaker 9: Just I don't.
Speaker 7: I was on a TV show, and I have followers from a TV show, not because I'm a role model, just because people like me because I'm a kind person. It doesn't make mean that I make good life decisions. It doesn't mean that this is a bad life decision either. But it's just kind of like if my parents knew they would die.
Speaker 6: They're going to find out obviously they're going to die.
Speaker 9: No fantastic.
Speaker 1: Whereas Ali raced to this decision because well, in her own words, you only live once. On the other hand, there's Stella, who not only declined this trip because well she did really think about it, but she also then sat and thought about how she really feels about her new breasts, which she got done in November after her season of the show stopped filming, and she has made an effort not to publicly discuss or draw attention to at all until now when it came.
Speaker 2: To my rest of mutian surgery. I actually you don't see my moves anywhere flaunted. I wear the same clothes because I've done that for myself. I paid for that myself, and I actually had that booked three days before I got a call about Maths getting me my match, And even then I actually was thinking about the surgery for a Yeah. I did my first constitution with the surgeon in November twenty four. My surgery was booked June twenty fifth, twenty five, and I ended up doing it November twenty five. So before people make decisions, I think it's important to ask relevant questions why am I doing it and what are what are the pros and cons of it? Because I must say, after going through the surgery myself, just you know, quite recently, I guess the surgery won't solve the problems if you're trying to solve them. If someone is saying, I, actually, you know, don't find myself sexy because I don't have boobs. Okay, go for it. But if someone says, oh my god, boobs changed my life. Something magically flicked and happened, and now I am this confident, sexy matterfacer, it's not gonna happen. Okay. You will wake up, you will go through the healing, you will have the ups and downs, and at the end of the day, six months in the shine of something new is going to wear off and you're going to be lifed with the same thoughts about yourself. So if you are not changing, if I'm not changing my thoughts about myself internally at the first place, no surgery will change your confidence. Surgery will change the feeling of insecurity. Confidence and insecurity is the internal job. Whatever you put outside, it's going to be a temporary solution to relieve the pain. It's like having alcohol when you feel depressed, having drugs when you don't feel okay, and stuff like that. So I always encourage try to understand the reasons why something is being offered, while something is being promoted, and why something is being done.
Speaker 1: The more Stella has really sat and fought about her new breasts. Over the last couple of weeks after the offer of this Barllor trip has just had a reflecting on all of the choices she's maybe their body. She has realized that ultimately she does have regrets, and not just because of the reason she got them done, but the way they've impacted so many other parts of her life that she hadn't anticipated, like exercising.
Speaker 2: It took me probably six months to accept the fact that, Okay, well I'm not I'm not not happy with my boobs. But was it worth it? Was it really really worth it? I don't think so. I don't think so. It didn't make me happier nothing, I don't know if anything. I actually feel like it affected me in quite a negative way, and I'm still I've lost my routine. I was scared to train, I was scared to do push offts, I was scared to do intensive functional training. And it's only now, and it's been plus six months, that I feel like, Okay, it feels like somewhat my body and yeah, I didn't have the reason to do the boobs rather than the vanity. At the end of the day, I'm sorry. I know in my ruffle a lot of people in the different position in a how do I say in my rough people in wrong ways? But no, I was sexy before, I was feeling sexy before, I was confident before, and when I look back, I got I booked my boobs in when I was going through a breakup, a heartbreak, and I just wanted to feel better.
Speaker 1: Back to BALI now, and trust me, I do understand Ali. I think I'm quite similar in the way that I often act first and think later, and my life has been defined by impulsive choices and wild stories. But this is different, like especially given how whether she likes it or not, people do look to her as someone to follow and copy and and to really try and emphasize this point. I then flipped it a little by putting it into a very real scenario for Ali.
Speaker 9: You've got a son, right of a son. Yeah, so he probably wouldn't fovict him.
Speaker 5: But what if she did have a thirteen year old daughter, and then she's maybe feeling insecure as girls do with that age, you know, girls in school, maybe picking on her about how she looks, and then she's scrolling Instagram and go, oh but mommy, look what this girl's done.
Speaker 9: I want to do that.
Speaker 6: No, I know that's that like it hurts my heart.
Speaker 7: That really hurts my heart because you're really getting me in the soft spot.
Speaker 5: But that's essentially and then that young girl is going to see that, and maybe that's going to stick with her for years, and then she's not going to know the girl she's looking at. When Yolo we're going to go to BALI just change my shapely. I know.
Speaker 1: This thought of one day having a daughter is something that Stella has also spent a lot of time thinking about lately, and she says what she learned from her own mother about self love and acceptance is something that has never really left her.
Speaker 2: If I would raise a daughter, I always questioned myself and ask myself what kind of values, what values I would like my daughter to get from me? And one thing that I learned growing up my mum. She had me when she was extremely young, and even then her body got absolutely wrecked. She got sagga booths, she got stretch marks all over her body, but she was wearing that with confidence, with confidence, and honestly, if I could say one thing that I am taking with you know, my arms wide open, is the confidence my mum instilled in me by not being perfect and by not chasing the perfection, and by always just showing up as you are. And that's the time values. I would like to bring my kids in the world where yes, there are things that we can do to make ourselves feel confident and comfortable and and you know, less insecure and whatever. And I'm all for it. I straightened my teeth, I got rid of the glasses because I was wearing glasses since I was sixteen. I'm all for it. But when it comes to when it comes to trends, when it comes to something that can cause more stress than benefit, I advise not. I even advise all of my friends who are like, oh my god, you got your I want to get them done, And I'm like, think, why do you want to get your mobs done?
Speaker 1: As I saw Ali's carefree yolo for side break a little at that last question, I started to think, there's more to her story here, like there just must be. And as I started to question more about just her body image throughout her entire life, we started to unpack together like the real reason she was here having this done? And you know what, I related to a lot of what she was saying, which some of you who may have heard a recent episode of my other podcast, Occasionally Funny, may already know it's high.
Speaker 7: So I'm a millennial, and I feel like millennials we got cursed in the in the sense of like how we were, how we were programmed to look at our bodies. Yes, like we I was in the peak Mischa Barton, like.
Speaker 9: There's it's very funny.
Speaker 5: I did a part recently where I spoke about Nicole Richie, Paris Hilton. So I dropped out of school at fifteen to be paparazzi. The first person was Paris, and then I was suddenly around that world from being a gay in the closet teenager who never felt I fit in. And I developed an eating disorder for a while, and I only saw pictures recently, but I would go days about eating like I was skeletal, and I only saw those pictures like a week ago. And on my other podcast occasionally funny and then it's funny you say that, But like I was influenced back then because it was everywhere the magazines, the yeah, you couldn't escape that, and it was those it was that collar bone on all of them.
Speaker 9: Yeah, like that was the that was.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I used to look at that I want a collar bone protruding, and I was like, what the fuck was that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was. It's actually funny because I when.
Speaker 7: I was on Below Deck, I actually there was an episode where I was feeling is one of our first episodes on our Night Off where everyone was getting in the hot tub and I was feeling insecure of talking to my friend Daisy, and I was feeling insecure about my body because the other girls were all teeny tiny, petite, and I used to be really, really skinny, and I was normal. I was in normal size at that point. And a lot of people really like followed me from that episode, and that has crossed my mind because I did have this connection with those people in that moment. It was like a moment of realism, and you know a lot of people do feel that feeling of insecurity, and I was verbalizing it because, like I said, I went my heart on my sleep. I always say what I think and feel.
Speaker 6: I'm super open and.
Speaker 7: I have my own demons from which you've obviously experienced as well from the years before this. So years before this, I went through my own experiences and eating disorder.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest here again with you now. That response from Ali there, that just made me sad because in the excitement of her being offered this new surgery and the Yolo mentality, it felt like like until us sat there in that moment by the pool, she hadn't really made disconnection herself. And then what Ali said next made me even sadder.
Speaker 7: And then recently, I've lost a lot of weight in the last after having a child in the last like two three years. I'm getting a lot of comments on my body.
Speaker 6: This is going to inflame all of that.
Speaker 7: I'm getting a lot of people announcing I'm unfollowing you because you've lost so much weight.
Speaker 6: I'm like, okay, you can never win, like you could just never win.
Speaker 7: And I don't know, you know, I don't know what is It's hard to say what is right and what is wrong and what is healthy and what is not when you're being praised when you're at your leanist. Yes, and that's what I'm getting at the moment. I'm at my Leanist and I'm getting so much attention for it, and I'm you know, getting more collabs, more brand deals, more attention, more clothing stuff, more like all this stuff that I wasn't getting before, and I'm like, that's weird and feeding the monster, you.
Speaker 6: Know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So earlier in this chat and you said you did this because Yolo now speaking, it feels like it somewhere deep down is maybe, yeah, probably things you haven't fully.
Speaker 9: I think, yeah, overcome.
Speaker 7: I think there's definitely things that haven't overcome. I feel like that type of stuff like follows you full life.
Speaker 1: Sadly, for people like Ali and for Beck, who are public figures and whose income is determined by social media engagement, and their self esteem is often determined by how many likes the posts may get. When they do then get extra likes when they're maybe looking a little leaner or skinnier, that does then lead to extra paid work. And it's a fucking vicious cycle then, because not only is like body image, you know, this horrible thing we all deal with still there at the front of their minds, but suddenly it's now intertwined with their careers, their income and just overall sense of self worth. Now, the morning after my interview with Ali, the saddest moment of this entire Bali trip happened, and that was when I was sat by the pool with Beck. We were chatting about everything so far. And although you have heard a mypod of her explaining why she pulled out of the procedure and her indecision, which is all true, I would say that now her having thought about it, she is again at the time of me recording this, probably ninety nine percent set on getting it done. And she came to this realization, she said, after a phone call with her mum. And on that call, her mum asked her, like, how do you feel it's been twenty four hours since you didn't have the surgery, And Beck said to her mom the main thing she was feeling was like almost upset that she'd pulled out, and like sure, she was proud of herself for taking more time. But ultimately Beck said, her main emotion as she really thought about it, was like a sadness and a regret. But that is not the sad part I'm getting to here. As we were having this conversation, Beck then removed her shirt and climbed into swimming pool like it was a boiling I think thirty.
Speaker 4: Five degrees, no breeze, blues legg It was a.
Speaker 1: Beautiful day, but it was so hot, and Beck climbed into the pool in a two piece spaghini in front of me, and as she did that, she said, like Josh, this time last year, I never in a million years would have ever done this.
Speaker 4: Like shown off my body like this.
Speaker 1: And as I was then saying like, well, going off that logic, Beck, imagine where you'll be in another twelve months and how much more confident you might be. So so, therefore why not wait another year to see then if you want the rip thing done. But and this is the sad part now, as we were having this chat, a girl interrupted us. Excuse me, you're Beck from Maths, right, the girl asked. And this girl she was lovely. She was Australian and she was twenty two years old, and as she came over to us, she explained that she loves maths. She already follows Beck and quite a few of the other influencers on this trip. And she said to Beck, after having just watched the video of was Early, that they talking about pulling out of the procedure. She said like back, you don't need to get that done. Like your ribs are tiny, mine a much bigger. And as she said that, I thought to myself, like, what the fuck have we done? Like what have I done here? And I said to the girl like, hey, if you don't mind me asking, like, have you ever looked at your ribs before this, like or ever compared your ribs to other people prior to this week? And she was like, Nah, never have never done that, And that, honestly just broke my heart because this is the reality of this situation and the world we're now living. And when it comes to social media and influencers, often like the number of followers someone has, the number of likes their posts get, or you something has like that often just becomes a number that means nothing. But this situation, like for me, that moment was a reminder that nah, those numbers, they account for real people, and this is the actual impact that influencers and content creators have on those real people.
Speaker 4: In the first episode of this pod.
Speaker 1: Series, I acknowledged my own hypocrisy of coming on this trip to investigate something which would ultimately push it out to more people, and I justified this in my head as well, If I don't go, millions of people are gonna see the glamorized before and afters of this trending new procedure, you know, as all those influencers share their results with like no further context or critical thinking. Then again, in my head, at least I thought that by me coming and me doing my thing, I could steer that narrative from the very start and present this new thing as something we should question rather than rush into copying. And for me, like I thought doing that would be a good thing. But that girl, like what she said, that just made me question everything. And even as Beck to like, you're stunning and you don't need anything. They both then kind of spoke amongst themselves and they agreed that you know, it always comes down to someone's personal choice. But I still felt I still felt guilty. I'm gonna be honest. I felt awful. I felt I felt horrible. I feel like I'm getting upset say this like I've never had that before. Like I you know, you see the comments, the messages, But somebody there in front of you, this girl on her holiday with her mum, just swimming in the swimming pool. She'd been following the content from me, from back, from all the other girls, and suddenly she's looking at herself in the mirror in a way she never before. Yeah again, I just felt I felt guilty, like I did. I did not think I would start crying at this. And then the even sider part of this whole thing was as this young girl and I suppose many others out there are now looking in the mirror, questioning a body part they'd never fought twice about until this week. The influencers who you know, they're they're pushing this new insecurity onto them and the press highlighting it further. And I suppose me to an extent, we they'd already moved on and because suddenly so crime, Because suddenly the headlines back in Australia, as some of you may have seen, that it had already moved away from Be's in decision and you know this message I've been passionate about promoting, of taking your time and really asking why you want to make any permanent changes, And a new story had spawned from this ballet content, and that was Bec's feud with.
Speaker 4: Former bride Dominica.
Speaker 1: Now, over the last week, there's been endless comments from many of the former reality television cast members on the ballet content and many other influencers, and they've mostly all been sharing concern that to me often feels disingenuous because, in my opinion, I see those comments as their way of using an opportunity just to insert themselves into a trending topic, rather than their apparent concern coming from a point of actual care. Because for the best part, the majority of content creators out there who do call themselves social commentators, they mostly just post comments that will only ever fuel their own agendas and self promotion. And I'm not excluded from this either, as I've just highlighted my own hypocrisy. There's also many other things in my past as a tableau journalist that I do regret, which anyone who's read my book will be aware of, as nothing was off limits in that and I'll live with those things for the rest of my life and carry those regrets. But for now, on the topic of Dom, In one pretty unnecessary comment in my opinion, Dom claimed that Beck coming to Balley for this procedure, only to back out on the day while now taking more time to decide if it is for her.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I walked in and I thought, I'm not ready yet.
Speaker 9: I don't know if I will be ready.
Speaker 10: I don't know if I'm going to go ahead and get it done.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I've got giving myself an extra week here in Bali to decide. Was and I'm quoting Dom just another Pierre ploy to fix her reputation. And now here's the thing where Dom is, of course entitled to her own opinion. Everybody is, and since becoming like an influencer after married at first sight, Dom essentially supports her family by sharing her opinions on social media. But just to circle back to what's now our word of the day, hypocrisy. In my opinion, Dom wasn't sharing an actual opinion on the wider discussion of body image and the broader topic I was trying to present through beck story which could start a conversation to helpfully help others. Dom just shared what I perceive as a personal attack, which is ironic, as many people pointed out, because this phrase that Beck has been using consistently as the justification for potentially getting this surgery.
Speaker 2: I think my body my choice, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Is one that some of you may be called Dom has built her entire brand on.
Speaker 10: If they are slut shaming, I'll wear it like a badge of honor, because my body, my choice.
Speaker 1: Bitch, which first started on her season and married at First Sight, during the storyline about her OnlyFans content being leaked amongst the.
Speaker 10: Group, Oh my god, just like come and ask me knock on my door. Don't like sit here at the like circulating an image and like the story because you've obviously made up your mind's already, and then come here and just drop that on.
Speaker 4: Me, like huge dump.
Speaker 1: As dom season then came to an end, some of you may also remember Dom having her own merch made with this phrase, which she made everyone at her finale viewing party wear with endless content like this, filmed in her own home, getting millions of views.
Speaker 8: I want to hear my body my choice? Can I get Can I get my body my choice? I'm not saying it loud, and I want to hear my.
Speaker 4: Body my choice now.
Speaker 1: At the time, that phrase and those T shirts and the chance at the viewing party was all positioned by Dom and her best friend at the time, Ella and everyone who wore them as like taking show drama and turning it into a moment of empowerment for everybody out there. But now when it's Bex's body and Bex's choice and Dom making the choice to use her platform to brand Bex in decision over this big choice she's making about her own body as nothing but a desperate PR plot. It makes me question, was this phrase to Dom my body my choice only ever something performative?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 1: Was it just a catchy slogan for her to profit from and a cleverly strategized way to subtly turn more people against her co star than Olivia again, or while being pushed as a moment of empowerment for all the girls out there, because well, like if you ask me, that is how it now looks right now. Like to Dom and the other influencers out there, do the messages they push and stand for only matter when they're the ones benefiting from them and still sticking with them. For a second here on the topic of like PR tactics to salvage a reputation, could we not also accuse her of doing the same thing after she appeared on I'm a Celebrity when one fight in the Jungle led to a press day of her just doing damage control interview after interview.
Speaker 5: As a viewer, it was quite uncomfortable to watch, But talk us through it.
Speaker 6: Do you regret at all what you think?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Look, my choice of language wasn't great, and I do sincerely regret my way of articulating during that coma, but I don't take back.
Speaker 6: How I felt.
Speaker 1: And then, still on the subject of Dom, when Everything employded on her podcast with Ella Sit with Us, and she had so many people, like other influencers, calling for her to be canceled, which I'm going to say I never agreed with back then and I still don't. But at the time when that was happening, Dom then took a break from social media. She checked into a mental health facility for a few weeks, which I think was an incredibly brief thing to do.
Speaker 10: It's days like this, you know, when I really feel sad and like depressed and whatever. It's these moments that I know, feeling like this low, these are the moments that actually are what build my resilience.
Speaker 1: And that's definitely something that I.
Speaker 10: Learnt being in hospital and with all the reading and all of the learning that I'm doing.
Speaker 1: But then when Dom came out with that facility, and she did so much content talking about it, and she sat on the Today's show Sofa talking about it, saying, you know, how she's being open about this to hopefully help others. She was applauded for that openness and suddenly, like all conversation of the controversy a month earlier, when people wanted her to be canceled, was like replaced with this this moment, and it was a moment which I'll say was powerful and welcome. So imagine then, like at that time, Dom, if you're listening, you then had other people with large platforms in the comments using it as an opportunity just to insert themselves into the narrative and say, to quote yourself, Dom's just done this as a pr ploy to fix he a reputation. Like you imagine Dom, how you would have felt at that time. I assume you would have been sad that like a person had gone out of their way to derail what was an important conversation you'd started, and they derailed it with like a personal attack. Because to me, that's how Dom, you're comment read this week, you know, despite you having been in Bech's position so many times before, and you guys see what I mean now when I keep circling back to this word hypocrisy and Dom again, I don't want you to feel targeted here at all. This isn't about you, but your comments have become like a focal part of the Bailey coverage in the press this week. And that was the perfect example. And actually Jia has also jumped on this bandwagon, and she gave quotes to website chatter about how Beck's again indecision was apparently just an embarrassing pr ploy or whatever she said. Yet this is Jia who, on TikTok just a few days ago openly was openly discussing her own choices regarding her body and the procedures she's had done.
Speaker 3: I grew up plaining Jane brown hair, no biddy's, no big lips, uglier nose, and do you know what, I fucking hated it. So if I want to change something, I will, and I have and I haven't done anything any like surgical things in years, girl, Okay, And you know what when I was in high school and got made fun of every day for being a surfboard with no boobs and plaine Jane and boring and the boys didn't really like me, do you know what I used to think? I used to think about Pamela Anderson, I think about Carmena Letter, and I used to go do you know what, when I'm old enough, I'm gonna get blonde, and I'm gonna.
Speaker 6: Get big tits, I'm gonna get big lips.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna be exactly who the fuck i want to be. And do you know what, I'm happy with that If I look plastic and fake, that's what I want to look like. I don't tell you how to look, girl, fucking worry about yourself.
Speaker 1: But to make this even broader now, because Dom and Gea aren't the only influencers whose actions we could describe as hypocritical, like I could name so many fitness influencers who make their living selling healthy lifestyles and programs for their followers you or to copy what they do to get their perfect bodies too, like like I know for a fact so many of them then offline to their friends laugh while actually attributing their weight loss to cigarettes and cocaine. And there's actually so many other fitness influencers again that I know for a fact, spent like Saturday nights swapping their you know, post about matches and is how you say matcha whatever that drink is, and their Kale smoothies to chase keet them in around nightclubs and staying up all night. But you know on the internet, they would never share such a thing. Again, it's just hypocrisy everywhere. And these and these other influencers out there, and they build entire brands standing for women's rights and against violence, and they back actual worthy causes that do deserve so much attention, like as much attention as they can get. But these influencers, they so often then just distract from that message by skewing their content into some anti men, anti all men, and you know, pushing a new narrative to their audiences where the quick takeaway from anyone having like a five second scrollers essentially every man equals bad and you should all just remain single because you know this new popular trend of being like fuck all straight men, Fuck, we don't need men. And yet I know so many of their female influencers who are posting this content constantly. They're sat at home at night, still swiping the dating apps, endlessly dating and just endlessly searching for a man, despite doing multiple posts a week mocking our men, saying you don't need one.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 1: You see my point here on what these influencers post versus how they actually live their lives and just their hypocrisy. And please don't misinterpret that last point there or take it as some like Josh is a man defending all bad men, because that could not be further from the truth at all. Like there are bad men in this world. Yes, there are so many very bad men out there who commit horrendous crimes against women. And this is a problem that isn't going away in Australia, to the point that it is classed as an epidemic, and continued awareness is needed to slowly bring any change. And you know that continued awareness does help victims find the courage to eventually speak up and leave those dangerous, horrendous situations. But there's also wonderful men out there in this world, like kind men, caring men, loving men. And when I see creators who are passionate about helping those women in those situations and highlighting so many worthy causes, then so often skew their content away from that messaging into just something sensationalized that will play into the algorithm and give them a viral moment. It starts to feel not just self indulgent, but also dangerous, and like a couple of days ago, I even saw one influencer pushing this message we should and I quote cull all men instead of sharks, which when I saw that, I thought, how the fuck is that gonna help any victims out there of domestic violence? And how is that message going to help anything? And again and again, please no one out there take this point out of context, because I feel like me even saying this in a day and age of cancel culture is like I'm walking on a tight rope. But if you have followed me or my podcast since the start, you'll know where I stand on all kinds of violence and sexual violence and how it's something even I, as a man, have been victim of sadly by other men. And this point, again of highlighting hypocrisy, I suppose I also am now highlighting just how easily it is when your income comes from monetizing your audience, that sensationalism can silently merged with whatever you stand for, as that will ultimately bring you bigger numbers, and therefore bigger numbers equal a bigger income. And hey, I could also listen names of both men and women, because you know, this hypocrisy is not gender specific. Who promote themselves as entrepreneurs while boasting of designer clothes and luxury holidays, you know, force forcing a feeling of inadequacy onto their unsuspecting followers, who first look to them with envy and eventually just with distaste. That how shameless it becomes. And you know, some of those people, I can tell you for a fact, they glamorize that lifestyle and they say like, look at me, I've made it, I'm self made. But again I can tell you for a fact, they fund that, not through the fitness programs or e commerce shops random courses they push, but through I don't work and escorting, especially in the Middle East where they can do it anonymously and in some cases by selling drugs. And this isn't me saying I don't work or escorting is bad. Like again, don't take any of this our context. But what I'm trying to say is transparency is the key to everything, in my opinion, and presenting something in a way that isn't truthful is dangerous and again hypocrisy. And then there's the male fitness influencers, the ones who the years have made me personally feel inadequate because you know, my muscles aren't as big on my abs and as defined who all push these programs. They say, if people like me by you know, we'll have bodies like them.
Speaker 4: But I know.
Speaker 1: Again for a fact, they look like that because of illegal steroids and illegal peptides. But will they ever post about that? No, they won't, And you're probably not thinking, like, hey, Josh, where are you going with this podcast? It's getting a bit randy, which it is. Apologies for that, but yeah. I went to Bali thinking I was going to investigate this new procedure and start discussion on unrealistic beauty standards set by influencers. But as I sat with below Deck star Ali for that final interview before leaving Bali, she helped me realize that this is actually all about just influencers in general, and how most of the time that they're actually the worst people we could ever be influenced by.
Speaker 5: For anything I could have but I'm I think sitting here with you, I've just realized something and I'm going to say this in the nicest way. Yeah, I came here to document almost this about beauty standards and like having people when they see people like yourself, you have done this, stop on question like is this something I want to do rather than just seeing a hot pitch and go I'm going to do that, like actually ask themselves why yeah? And now when I speak to you and the other girls were saying, I just did it because yore, why not?
Speaker 9: I think the broader.
Speaker 5: Thing here is let's stop being influenced by any influencer for anything.
Speaker 6: I know, I know, I agree with you.
Speaker 5: My career comes off reality TV. Talking about it. You're on reality television. People watch those shows for escapism, right to be entertained. You know, no one's watching mass to say that's how my relationship is going to be. Similar to below deck. I'm not that familiar, but it's quite chaotic. Yeah, people aren't saying I'm going to copy that when I go out or go on a holiday.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I also think maybe we need to change this how we look at influences and it's almost like, let's look at them for escapism and almost to have that little laugh or whatever, and let's it's almost like the word influencer.
Speaker 9: I want to get rid of it now.
Speaker 5: File because like, I don't think people should be influenced by people going I've just tweaked my ribs because of LA and I'm saying this in the most polite way because you seem lively. Yeah, yeah, I'm just trying to do like a.
Speaker 6: I'm I'm not offended at all. Don't worry. I'm not offended because I'm like, I'm on the people's side. I get it. I get it.
Speaker 7: But what I when it comes to myself, I'm I make decisions that I wouldn't like if I had a daughter, I would be like, what are you thinking?
Speaker 1: Again, I found Ali lovely, But to her final point there, yes she may not have a daughter, but millions of people out there do. And those millions of daughters are seeing what she does and the other influences do, and they're following them and copying what they do. And you know also these millions of sons out there who are doing what the male influencers. They follow you And I saw this in real life, not just online, when that girl, when that twenty two year old girl approached Beck and I in the pool. And again, please don't think I'm exempt from this criticism. What we're removing myself from this narrative, I'm getting to again to highlight my own hypocrisy in another way, like when my book came out For example, in that book, I explore the correlation between gay hookup culture and mental health, and I explore why so many of us are chasing anonymous sexual encounters. But then I promoted that through viral content like my grinder Wrapt, which for those who didn't watch until the very end and understand like how I was highlighting the emotions during those hookups, they would just see that as content essentially promoting casual sex, which was the thing I was discouraging people from in the book. You see what I mean, Like, it's such a weird cycle. And it all keeps going back to this word hypocrisy. Even when I was a journalist, you know, there were there's so many reasons why I left that career and why it just didn't align with me morally anymore. But one example is I remember there was a time when a Australian celebrity was pictured snorting a suspicious, suspicious white substance, and we, the media, we went wild with that story, and that celebrity was brutally shamed, and you know, newspaper editors contacted all of their sponsors saying, how could you endorse this person? So they then lost all of their deals and income which they used to support their family, and like journalists like me then had to write up that outrage. But the thing is, like those editors pushing that narrative, I know they it's not cocaine themselves most weekend Like why do they hold what a female influencer to a higher regard than they hold themselves? And yet there they were using their mainstream platforms to essentially destroy one person for doing their own little hobby, and even me having to write all that up at the time and pedal out that to what apparently let the public know how bad the celebrity is. I've previously done cocaine in my life. I regret that I've spoken about their briefly on here, but again, you see what I mean, Hypocrisy is everywhere that we look. So if you're now wondering, like Josh, what is your big takeaway from this little series, and you know the lesson I've learned, it's that essentially we should just ban the word influencer, and we should look at content creators for entertainment, for escapism and light relief, but never actually be influenced by a single thing that they do. Because from my experience and this isn't aimed at the girls on that trip, but influence everywhere all.
Speaker 4: Over the world.
Speaker 1: So many of them are just well the worst possible role models and examples to follow or be influenced by for anything. And you know what I think the truth is, And I must now hold a mirror up to you, my lovely listeners. But I think to some extent, we're all hypocrites, you know, like we you call people out for the very things we're guilty of ourselves, and we say we hate violence, shit, we'll still binge watch hours of true crime documentaries and podcasts fueling that drama, making it even bigger, pushing horrific things that have happened to people in real life, not fiction, into the algorithms of people who may be unhinged and unstable, and then repeat those things. And you know, we criticize influencers for creating impossible beauty standards, yet we ourselves will then spend twenty minute editing a selfie before we post it and face tuning it, adding as many filters. And you know, every year we even call out maths for platform horrific men and women, Yet we keep watching, meaning Channel nine keep making millions and they keep making the show, and our outrage only makes the show bigger, because no matter how much we criticize it and say we dislike it, we keep watching and we will keep watching.
Speaker 4: And even those.
Speaker 1: Who have slammed me this past week for my involvement in this Bali series saying Josh, you're part of the problem, like how many of those people tuned into Netflix earlier this year and watched the Louis Farau documentary on the Manusphere, which yes, highlighted something incredibly dangerous, but at the same time, as it spent weeks at number one on Netflix globally, it essentially pushed this extreme red pill misogynistic movement even more into the mainstream and onto more impressionable young minds. And everyone who watched that documentary and commented on post of it, like their engagement, their ratings, they've now contributed to the fact that there'll be ten times more documentaries and shows on that topic being made right now. And this now does all feel quite uncomfortable to be admitting, As I suppose, we all want to believe that our actions perfectly match our values, but often they just don't. And maybe being real and transparent and human isn't about what eliminating hypocrisy altogether. Maybe it's about recognizing it and being honest enough to admit our contradictions to ourselves and questioning our own motives and trying to do a little better each time. Because the moment we believe we're completely free of hypocrisy, that is probably when we're our most hypocritical.
Speaker 4: Say it