Speaker 1: You start.
Speaker 2: Jason Lawrence P.
Speaker 3: Cheesy's in the house, Superintendent Wayne Cheese man our friendly police office.
Speaker 4: That morning.
Speaker 5: Cheer Cheesy, Good morning. Everyone's been happening in the wild western Melbourne.
Speaker 1: Same thing. Really, it's the police are still out there twenty four to seven, arresting more than more people than ever. Good news is we've seized more knives than we ever have, over fifteen thousand this year, So that is.
Speaker 5: It's sort of good news but sort of bad news. They're all out there, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, you're right. Anyone shouldn't be out there indeficially.
Speaker 5: Is anyone putting their knives in those silly little bins?
Speaker 1: There actually have been, really, there have been machetes. Has been several thousand machetes handed in. I don't know whose hands, I don't know the right people are handing them in. But but and he's having an effect, believe it or not.
Speaker 5: Great.
Speaker 2: But these are the ones that the officers on the beat seizing from people, right.
Speaker 1: So these fifteen thousand are separate to the one. These are the ones where we're doing search warrants and we're searching people under our different powers and having quite a bit of success.
Speaker 2: Of One of the debates that's happening right now Cheese is around Jack's Law, which is in Queensland, brought in on the back of a horrendous death involving a teenager there. It gives police the powers to wand wand people on the streets.
Speaker 4: Like a metal detechnique.
Speaker 2: It's effectively what the state opposition is calling for the government to bring in. Here would something like that change the game?
Speaker 1: So we have we have similar powers under what we call these omni operations where we get areas declared so we can we can have that leading up to protest activity we have around the side. We are running that operation in the CBD across the CBD for the next six months leading up to Christmas in the new year, because we know the influx of people and the influx of young people into the.
Speaker 4: City and you can just ward people occurring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can if the area has been designated.
Speaker 3: And is that where you're finding these kids that are caring knives and stuff? Is a train station, a shopping centers, right, to.
Speaker 1: Be honest, everywhere it's in shopping centers, it's in train stations, it's in the streets, in schools.
Speaker 6: And are they protesting, like we're not protesting in the literal sense, But are they objective when you go up to them and say, hey, we're going to search you.
Speaker 1: No, they don't. It's a different culture now, so people are a lot more confident around the police now. So there is a there is a definite lack of respect towards the police, and there's no fear of the police probably like there was when I was younger. But generally if we have the power, they comply. But generally they know when we have power and when we don't, and if we don't have it, they they know that.
Speaker 4: They know they find.
Speaker 6: A machete on someone, are they what's the consequence for that person?
Speaker 1: Well, it can be depending on their history and if they're on bail and all this. But if it's just a one off piece, I think it could be someone to go to court down the track.
Speaker 2: A lot of that confidence kids, especially even younger than sixteen, have is because of how social media has empowered them. Do you think in this is just a random question of random thought, but the social media band which comes in in what ten days time? I think eighteber ten yep, will that have any impact? Do you think on how kids, especially under sixteen are thinking and behaving potentially, because there are a number when it comes to policing.
Speaker 1: So there's no doubt that social media has influence and there's a connection through social media. It's not always the sites that are influencing. It can be the dialogue between people. And what we're finding is there's a lot of networked youth defending. So the networks talk together, not necessarily looking at something on Instagram or on YouTube, but that definitely does it.
Speaker 2: But this could break a network potentially.
Speaker 1: This could have an influence where probably it's not as glorified some of the behaviors we're seeing.
Speaker 3: Well, the videos that I see online of the kids breaking into houses half the time, they're not even stealing anything. They just want to go like, look, we're in someone's house, waving a machete everywhere.
Speaker 5: It's like stupid, crazy, crazy.
Speaker 3: Thirteen twenty four ten is our number. Cheesey's in the house. Any questions, give us a ring. We're going to take some calls and then Lauren's got something that we need a.
Speaker 4: Question about Clint.
Speaker 6: But before we get to Clint, I've got a quick question for you, cheese Now we have cameras in our house, like oh sorry, on the outside of our house like many people, and we get a little thing that sets off. We've got like a little sectioned off area, and we get a little notification on our phone if there's an intruder that comes up intruder. And the other day I got a thing saying intruder alert, and it was we've got some flats next to us, and it was a guy who had run and jumped their back fence like he'd clearly had he was in a rush to get away from someone. And with this vision of this guy who looked like he'd just robbed someone's house or done something, but he hadn't done anything to our house, what should I do with that vision? Should I go to my local police station and say, I don't know if this is going to be helpful to you, but this guy's clearly on the run from someone.
Speaker 1: He had a backpack full of stuff, So I guess anything can help if there's an investigation going on. So you could ring your local police station and say, my alarm was triggered. I have some vision. If it's of interest to anyone, here's my number.
Speaker 4: Let me know.
Speaker 1: We can then do some internal comms. We will know what's going on in the area, so it could be helpful.
Speaker 5: So always hand that over.
Speaker 4: If we have your partner. More cop would have been all over it.
Speaker 5: He called me more cop persistent when.
Speaker 4: You sounded like Paul just then.
Speaker 2: But I guess to your point, if there was a report from a neighbor of a breaking enter or something that aid that investigation, definitely help you.
Speaker 5: She was climbing over a back fence into a lane way with the.
Speaker 4: Bag falls thirteen twenty four ten.
Speaker 3: If you got a question for the cheese, what's Clinton?
Speaker 5: Healks kind of funny.
Speaker 6: He called me yesterday in an absolute flap cheese and he was driving down highway to Geelong and there's all the cameras, some of them are attached to bridge, and there's some free standing ones.
Speaker 5: And he called me and said, hey, Loss, this is.
Speaker 4: Your area, isn't it. That's your sort of hood.
Speaker 6: You know those cameras highway.
Speaker 4: Just because he's your friend. He's not here to are they.
Speaker 6: Filming inside the car? I said, oh, it depends. I think the ones on the bridge is a speed cameras. And he goes so glasy he goes because I was eating some pineapple out of the tub, and I'm a bit concerned that I'll be charged as a distracted driver. Am I allowed to be eating while I'm driving? And I said, oh, cheese is in tomorrow?
Speaker 5: We'll ask him. That's so embarrassing you won't text me.
Speaker 2: But it's a good question. Can I be charged or fined with eating pineapple behind the wheel?
Speaker 1: So you there's two parts to it. No, you would be very you will not be charging eating food in the car or having a drink or whatever. But if you had too handfuls of pineapple and you were steering with your knees rexample, if you could get charged with careless driving, right.
Speaker 3: But if you're getting a massive accident and it was because you dropped bloody kebab sauce on you and look down.
Speaker 1: Then it could be declared careless.
Speaker 6: Yeah rightch cabab is too hard to eat in the car, that's.
Speaker 3: Care cheesehe no going? You be the new campaign of a Christmas no go.
Speaker 2: Little cheeseburger is fine, right, Little Cheeseburger's time, little cheap that's a too bad job.
Speaker 5: And then you're asking the cheese man.
Speaker 3: Cheese Superintendent Wayne Cheeseman is in the house. We're doing pray the paper this morning. Hey Cheesey, thanks for coming in pleasure.
Speaker 4: Is this last time I got cheesy? This is the last time I got Cheesey in this ship mate.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: You have been the best addition to this show. We love having you on me.
Speaker 1: Can I just say to everyone who's been listening on the community and to you and your team, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year. Thanks for all the support you give to Victoria Police. It's really refreshing. It's really nice, and it's kind of everybody, but I wish you were a safe and happy New Year.
Speaker 4: Christ and all the best everyone.
Speaker 5: You next year, yes, will you come back?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you're back next year.
Speaker 3: I'm driving in here and bloody Rachel and ross across the road and they go, jesus here, I'll be like, no, no, no, yeah, yeah, yes, it has just gone a minute, all right, Jason.
Speaker 5: Lauren Lauren wake up feeling good. Following them on the socials, m