Speaker 1: Late General, welcome the Late Debate.
Speaker 2: Well, good evening, thanks for joining us on the Late Debate. James Macpherson with Liz Stauer and Caleb Bond coming up. A journalist is embarrassed when he wrongly assumes the people he's interviewing are racist, just like him. Will show you that a little later. Plus when we look at the paper's agenda, row erupts in Paris as biological men compete in women's events, And what happens to regional Australia if Rex Airlines goes under All of.
Speaker 3: That coming up a little later.
Speaker 2: But first, we're all very well aware that there's a housing crisis. But in Victoria the housing crisis is being made even worse by their cultural Heritage process. Now that process demands that land slated for development first undergoes checks to see if there's any culturally significant sites or artifacts before any houses can be built. Well, according to The Herald's Son, that process is laying developments by eighteen months or more and pushing up housing prices. The developers have to pay holding costs on the land while it sits idle as indigenous groups inspect the property for artifacts, taking sometimes years to do so, and on top of that, indigenous groups are charging developers one thousand dollars a day just to meet with them, and fifteen hundred dollars a day for Indigenous people to oversee cultural heritage advisors also being paid by developers as they search the property for artifacts. Now, Urban Development Institute of Australia CEO Linda Allison, she told The Herald's son the holding costs of the delays can make projects completely unfeasible, and those costs just inevitably if the development does go ahead, get passed on to the home buyer and that just makes housing even less affordable. So what to do about this problem? Will the liberal opposition have made themselves useful for once, and they've come up with a pretty good suggestion. Why don't we put time limits on the indigenous groups to search for artifacts before development can take place? And why don't we put caps on the amount of money they can charge developers to give certainty and to keep costs down. Sounds pretty sensible, but Victorian Premier Jacina Allen has described those suggestions as quote racist and nasty, which just goes to prove that when you vote for clowns, you end up getting an entire circus Calebrin Liz. The Victorian government are claiming to fight the housing crisis while exacerbating the housing crisis with a racist policy that if you dare point it out, gets you labeled racist.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is beyond laughable, especially because it has such real world effects. In the middle of housing crisis, which is nationwide but also notably in Victoria, this government has committed to building two point two four million houses by twenty fifty one. That's roughly eighty thousand a year till twenty fifty one.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, the rate at which they're.
Speaker 4: Building houses currently has dropped to an all time low in thirty years. This is a thirty a three decade low, and projects are being held up by this in a state that has one percent Aboriginal people.
Speaker 5: So it's like, who are you.
Speaker 4: Actually helping out here by tying the hands of developers who are building these dwellings that we all desperately need in every single state. Don't call your set you're You're not a serious government. You are not a serious government, You're not a serious leader. The premiere set on Tuesday. Oh, this is these cultural heritage laws are only affecting one percent of development, really one percent, I don't think. So they have to do the same as WA did, and WA ditch their cultural heritage laws just after just over one month of it coming into effect because it was simply too hard. They realized the error of their ways. They ate humble Pie and they just said, look, we've repealed it.
Speaker 1: Well, I can build you two million houses within that timeframe. They'll just be made of lego. You won't actually be able to live in them. But you never know. These days, they'll probably do something like that and say, look we did it, here's your two million houses. But I love the fact that, of course she attacks the opposition's idea that, you know, for a modest stuff, put a cap on the costs. We'll put a time frame on when all this stuff has to be done, and that there should be audits of the approvals that they then give, so that at least there's some oversight over the system that's somehow nasty racial division. At the same time, the Allen government is reviewing these cultural heritage secretly because it knows that there's something wrong with them. But it didn't want you to know that they were reviewing the cultural hero digital because because she's worried about how that might look. Oh, you know, we're admitting that there's a problem here. We couldn't possibly have anyone see that because it might be racist. I just love that, one by one, all of these little things are starting to fall apart in some way, you know, And I feel like the Voice was the vanguard for all of this. Once the Voice fell over, it was sort of like open season for people to actually start openly admitting that there was something wrong with Indigenous affairs in this country because all of a sudden we felt emboldened or we I mean, we've been talking about it for a long time, but people who otherwise had previously felt uncomfortable voicing their opinion because they were worried that they'd be called racist for doing so, have started coming out and saying, yeah, actually we have a few problems here. So little by little, whether it's the laws in WA, whether it's this, whether it's concerns around spending, people are starting to speak up a little bit. But the fact that she didn't want to tell us that this investigation was going on, I think says it all. Even she, in her heart of hearts, just inter Allen knows there's something wrong here, but you can't admit it. And of course, the first part of fixing a problem is admitting that there is a problem in the first place. It's pretty basic stuff. But they can't even do that.
Speaker 2: And that's the problem that these left progressive governments have. They back themselves into a corner where they declare all of these things grand moral issues. They demonize anybody who disagrees with them, and then when they find their ideological policies aren't working, how do they ever go back on them Because they've just said anyone who questions it is a racist, so they can't possibly backflip. They just have to try and massage things as best they can. The only way you get rid of these policies is you vote them out and you get a government that is going to govern according to practicalities rather than a preconceived and immovable ideology.
Speaker 5: Well, I wouldn't hold we are talking about Victoria. I've got to say, though, we're not.
Speaker 1: And I read these numbers, one thousand dollars a day just just to have a meeting. We're not even talking about the dig here. It's just all about meeting with the developers. I keep reading this stuff and going, my god. I always said I'd never do one of those ancestry dot Com tests because I didn't want to hand my DNA over to some private black rock. But I really feel like I should go and take one and see if I've got some aboriginal blood in me, because, for Heaven's sake, if I could get one thousand dollars a day to do some of this work, I'm sure I could do it in conjunction with the work that I do here on sky News as well, just sort of keep me busy during the day, I'd be rolling in it. And it's the same with all the money that they give them to do welcomes to country. I mean, some people are charging like ten thousand dollars a pop to do those welcomes to country on the basis of their race alone. And that's that's the real problem with it. I don't think there's anyone in the country who wouldn't want to preserve actual cultural artifacts if they can be found anywhere, because of course they are historical pieces that ought to be preserved. But when you hold all this stuff up and put that above everything else, I mean, for heaven's sake, what are we going to get to the point where mum and dad want to subdivide their property. And before you do that, someone's got to come in and dig the whole joint up before you can even do that. If you decide you want to put a new driveway in your house, they'll start saying, well, we've got to do a dig underneath the concrete that was already there by the way, but you're replacing it, so we've got to look under that as well. But where does this stuff end?
Speaker 2: Well, And this is the problem with a lot of this stuff, particularly with relation to indigenous affairs, is that little industries grow up around some of these exact virtue signaling efforts, whether it's cultural heritage issues where you go and you meet with a developer and your charge a fee, and then you've got some archaeologists, but we better have an indigenous person overseeing the archaeologists charge a fee.
Speaker 3: You'd like to welcome to country will charge a fee.
Speaker 2: And so to try and undo some of these things, well, you know now you're trying to undo entire little industries that have grown around it. People are not letting go of those things easily.
Speaker 5: And neither should they.
Speaker 4: I mean this affects homeowners, that affects farmers, that affects miners big time. Not so much a big deal in Victoria, but it certainly was in Wa. And so the extrapolation of a policy that says indigenous affairs and cultural heritage are more important than major infrastructure projects, we've seen several of them topple over this throughout the nation, as well as just putting roofs over people's houses. To genuinely ask people in the middle of a housing crisis to believe that cultural heritage and finding a significant rock in your backyard is more important than building homes for the future, and not even on the for the future, where on the back foot right now, we're desperately behind need to build these things. Nobody's buying that, No practical person is buying that. And that's what you need in a leader to say, of course we respect cultural heritage. Of course that is one of the values that we uphold, But more so we uphold keeping a roof over people's heads. And with a growing population like ours, this has to be the number one priority. That's really not that hard to do. But what do you see in this premiere, Like she's she's got a BA in something that, by the way, I could not find what her being. I challenge anyone out there to tell me what Jacinta Alan's BA is. Okay, because everything we know, Bachelor of Arts are useless.
Speaker 5: I can say that because I have too, but I can't find.
Speaker 4: I cannot find anywhere on the great world Wide Web what her BA is in, which is a little bit troubling, but would also indicate she'd rather people didn't know the person running your state as a Bachelor of us. How much real world experience does someone have when they're genuinely saying I'm more scared of being called a racist or a bigot than I am about the housing crisis in my state.
Speaker 5: Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, before we move on with the other topics we want to talk about tonight, we've just received breaking news that Rex Airlines have entered voluntary administrations.
Speaker 3: That news has just come to hand.
Speaker 2: A bit later in the show will explain more about what that means and how that will affect people who are planning to fly on REX. But they've just entered voluntary administration. That news just breaking. Well, we've been talking about the insanity of Victoria, but there's another place you can go if you want to see some insanity and sorry shames.
Speaker 1: Just before we move on, this is big news. REX going into voluntary administration and the fact that we still have in this country basically a duopoly of airlines right so you've got Virgin and Quantus. Now REX it's important to the regions is humongous because, as Paul was talking about on his program before, without REX, there's no way to get in or out of a lot of parts of the country except with a car, and we're talking about driving for hours and hours and hours to get anywhere. So the essential service they provide in that way is very important. But also the work that they were trying to do to get into the broader domestic market, as in they started out you know, Sydney to Melbourne and vice versa, and then with Adelaide to Melbourne, they've expanded from Adelaide to Perth recently. It was such an important thing to try and break up the market, and I suspect that what is happening here is that that attempt to break into that broader domestic market has failed, and that's really worrying for what it means for consumers. In terms of the prices they have to pay for an airfare because Rex had very competitive prices in terms of flying with them, their service was excellent and iPhone with them many times domestically generally, their prices are much better than anyone else. Their service is really good, the staff are really good. By the way, they don't give an acknowledgment of country on their flight, which which was encouragement enough for me to use them. And even with such a great product, they've fallen over. Essentially, what that means for us as a country in consumers is really concerning because if you can't break into that market, and others have tried, Bonds have tried to do it. If you can't break into that market, where are we going to end up? I mean, this is just a green flag to Quantus and Virgin essentially to say you have total control of the market, much like the supermarkets, and you can charge whatever you want. If the government doesn't get involved here in some way, mostly from the regional perspective, because they just can't do without these flights, we are going to be in a world of pain. I just can't see how the couldn't get involved.
Speaker 2: And there's a good argument for the government to be involved because these regional centers provide so much of the wealth of this country, provides so much of the tax revenue that the least the government can do is make sure that they're able to give from place to place. Adam Bant put out a tweeked earlier today saying the government should just wholesale buy Rex Airlines.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure many people would go for it.
Speaker 4: A bailout or a bailout subsidized. Did it for quantas during the pandemic. People aren't opposed to a bailout for once we can agree on a good.
Speaker 5: Expenditure of taxpayer dollars.
Speaker 4: Our government seems to love to spurge half the.
Speaker 5: Things they spend our money on.
Speaker 4: We're like Kenya not This is something that, as you've just said, Caleb, is very important to people. We don't want to see this duopoly constantly having the monopoly on anyone who wants.
Speaker 5: To board a flight in Australia.
Speaker 4: And we cannot say enough with regards to Rex's importance when it comes to the regions. So if the government is just going to allow Rex to roll.
Speaker 5: Over here and die, how are we going?
Speaker 4: How on earth are they going to ensure that some sort of service is still available to the regions. If they can't, then they simply can't allow this to happen.
Speaker 5: They can't allow REX to just well.
Speaker 1: And that would be the thing, right if the government doesn't intervene here and provide some sort of bailout, then the government will have to create a service. I mean, they simply can't leave people high and dry. And that might be a mixture of state governments chucking in money along with the federal government, but they can't leave people high and dry if you can't fly out of a place like Port Lincoln in South Australia or you know the multiple other places that rec services. I know that Quantus through Quantuslink, does a lot of its own regional services now, but again we're talking about one of the big duopoly companies, and so they will take this as a green flag to jack up their prices in terms of their regional services. But for places that are serviced only by res if they were to lose those flights, I mean, they would be incandescent with rage and I think ultimately it would cost us the taxpayer more because if they don't put something else in there, be it a government run airline or otherwise they're going to be left high and dry.
Speaker 4: You just to be clear, are we agreeing with Adam Ban right now?
Speaker 3: Well that we are to some degree.
Speaker 4: It would be cheaper to simply buy them out or bail them out, then to watch them die and then.
Speaker 5: Just go Okay.
Speaker 4: Now we've got to come up with something that is either state or federally funded to service the regions. I mean, all the infrastructure is there, the planes are there, the things up and running. It just needs an injection of funds.
Speaker 2: The other news that's just coming through is that apparently res have canceled flights between major airports and they are currently in the process of contacting passengers who've got flights ticketed. So we'll have more about that when we look at the newspapers later in the program. Obviously that's a developing story. We're talking about the madness of Victoria. The other place you can go to see madness is the view on American television where Whoopy.
Speaker 3: Goldberg holds court. The funny thing about Woopy Goldberg is that if.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump so much it looks at so much as looks sideways, she is all upset and outraged about it. But when Christians are mocked, slandered and ridiculed at the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games, well, she says, ah, it's no biggie, just change the channel.
Speaker 3: Have a listen.
Speaker 5: Come on, y'all, it's the Olympics. Stop. I'm not trying to do anything except talk about the history, and they're showing you the history. There are more too.
Speaker 6: Many people in the picture for it to be the twelve Disciples and then the seven or eight other people who are in the picture.
Speaker 5: The more people.
Speaker 4: When you're not happy with something and it bothers, you don't take twenty hours to write an email.
Speaker 1: You're in the TV.
Speaker 5: Off, watch something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just change the channel and watch, you know, the other Olympics. You can't do that, of course, because there's only one Olympic Games and it's for the entire world. But Caleb, do you reckon the view would react like that if it was Islam that had been mocked at the Olympics. Do you think they'd be Oh, look, if you don't want to watch Islam being mocked, just change the channel.
Speaker 3: It would have been an entirely different tune. For sure.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad that the lefties have finally woken up to the idea that if you don't like what someone else is saying, perhaps you should just ignore it and not be offended by it. I mean, are they Are they now going to make this their doctrine that they you know, like all you people who watch Guy and use and write in and every night, there's certain people who write to me, like nearly every night and just complain about what we're talking about. I'm like, why don't you just change the channel? Why do you sit there hating what you're watching every single night and getting so offended by it and then going off complaining on social media and writing in complaints to actbur and all this sort of stuff. If you don't like it, switch it off. If they're going to do that in general, then I'm all on board. Well, welcome to the free speech world. I love it. I'm glad you finally worked it out. But of course we're not just talking here about you know, I'll switch it off because I don't particularly like what I'm watching. Like, we're talking about a program that is going to be watched by children. We know he's going to be watched by children. We drag Queen's parading around. We're talking about a program, or I call it a program, but the opening ceremony, and that, as you pointed out, went after only one religion, not others. I mean, the you know, just switch it off. It's the bloody Olympics, for heaven's sake. I mean she was talking about it as though it's the Olympics. It's the Olympics. What's the problem. That is the problem, that it is the Olympics.
Speaker 5: Ceramon do with anything.
Speaker 4: Let's keep in mind it wasn't just the Last Supper. At one point they had a ginormous golden calf on stage, straight out of the Book of Exodus. Then they had a beast or some weird mysterious cloaked figure writing what looked for all the world like either a pale horse or a white horse straight out of the Book of Revelation right there, one of the horse riders of the Apocalypse. I mean, these people were celebrating, dancing around a golden cuff. That imagery, that symbolism is powerful, and it wasn't lost on anyone who is marginally familiar, much less.
Speaker 5: Belongs to the Christian faith.
Speaker 4: And for someone like Whoopi Goldberg, who is herself a member of the LGBTQ community.
Speaker 5: So it's no wonder that she's like, I didn't see a problem with it. What's the matter with this?
Speaker 4: Whereas for Christians, we know that all of this is actually spelled out in our Bibles. It is spelled out in our Bibles. The Bible says, as it was in the day of Sodom and Gomorrah, so shall it be. The Bible says, in the last days, mockers will come with their mockery, saying where is your Christ?
Speaker 5: Where is your God? Now?
Speaker 4: Jesus himself said, hey, they hated me first, so if the world hates you, don't worry. I'm the og and they hate me because I called them out on their evil deeds. Like all of this is foretold, and any Christians watching this just goes, well, hello, mockers, thanks for fulfilling more prophecy.
Speaker 5: Where there you are? Okay, yep, go on.
Speaker 2: Christians weren't imagining it, because, like you said, if it was just one thing, you might say, maybe a coincidence, But there were numerous Bible references.
Speaker 3: Where ridicule was involved.
Speaker 2: It was no very obviously, no mistake. It was no misunderstanding. On the view, a couple of the other panelts went on to say, you know, we should just focus on the Olympians rather than what happened in the opening ceremony. But that's our complaint, isn't it. We wish the Olympics would focus Olympians. That would have been nice, anthy the other thing they said. And I can't believe this. One of the co hosts on the view said, look all these Christians complaining we're tired of being bitten over the head with religious messages. We were beaten over the head with a religious message by the Olympic opening ceremony. Then when we can plain about it, we're the ones who were the Bible bashes.
Speaker 1: I know, isn't ridiculous, but look at least one person's talking sense about all of this. Donald Trump had his say on Fox News.
Speaker 3: Have you watched any of the Olympics.
Speaker 6: I thought that the opening ceremony was a disgrace. Actually I thought it was a disgrace.
Speaker 5: The marking of the Last Supper.
Speaker 7: I thought it was Catholics and Christians across the last the glover outraged.
Speaker 6: I mean, they can do certain things. I thought it was terrible.
Speaker 5: Can you say at the next Olympics of your present there won't be You'll have enough influence on the organizers that we won't be, you know, insulting Christians.
Speaker 3: We won't be.
Speaker 6: Having a Last Supper as portrayed the way they put at the other night. I just think, look, come for everybody. I'm very open minded. You do understand you know me better than most people know me. I'm very open minded. But I thought what they did was a di squares.
Speaker 1: And so say all of us, I can't wait to see what the Olympic opening ceremony might look like in La if Donald Trump is president at the time.
Speaker 3: But we're all all very nervous about the closing ceremony.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, well there is that to come to me.
Speaker 4: Given the Olympics have taken down the footage of their own opening ceremion, I'm sure someone's in a back room somewhere desperately amending making a few changes to the closing ceremony.
Speaker 1: Now version of that before we continue on with the Olympics. By the way, Virgin Australia has just said that if you have a REX flight that has been canceled within the next twenty sorry, forty eight hours, get in contact with them and they will rebook you on a Virgin flight free of charge. If you have a flight that's being canceled beyond forty eight hours, still get in contact, but of course it won't be the top priority. But repeating that, Virgin Australia has offered to rebook you on a Virgin flight free of charge. Continuing on with the Olympics, there are two boxers who were banned last year from participating in the World Championships. They are Iman Califf of Algeria and lynn U Ting of Taiwan, which, of course at the Olympics they call Chinese Taipei because you know, we can have Palestine which isn't a globally recognized state, but we can't call Taiwan by its real name because that might upset the Chinese. Well, these two particular boxers, before they were to participate in the World Championship, were undertaking gender testing, which is part of the rules for that competition, and they were found, according to the president, to have been the president of the what's it called, the International Boxing Association, not the President of the United States. They were found to have x y chromosomes ie they were men. They also had very high testosterone levels, so they were barred from competing at the World Championship, but the IOC has given them the all clear to compete at the Olympics. Now, listen to one person who actually competed against one of these people, a califf. This opponent said when I fought with her, still calls this individual her I felt very out of my depth. Her blows to me hurt a lot. I don't think I'd ever felt like that in my thirteen years as a boxer, nor in my sparring with men. Thank God, that day I got out of the ring safely, and it's good that they finally realized, except of course, that the IOC doesn't seem to have realized this.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: It's a bit of a strange case where these two people have, as far as we can tell, always presented as women, so there's no particular record of them having been men previously. But when the World Boxing Association has done the testing on them, they've come back and said, well, your testosterone levels are those of a man. Now, scientific testing has proven before that even if you are transgender, someone who has gone through male puberty has punching power about one hundred and sixty three percent higher than that of someone who hasn't gone through male puberty. The fact that a test was taken by another organization, but that doesn't matter, and just a year ago the test was taken proved the high testosterone levels that the IOC would now say, no problems, you can come and compete here in the women's division is insane.
Speaker 4: And of all the sports, no boss exception where you know women are going to be beaten within an inch of their lives. Just like the opponent's testimony that you just read, I was lucky to escape with my life, she said.
Speaker 5: It is unthinkable.
Speaker 4: We've seen this happen in swimming, in different ball games, the.
Speaker 5: Team sports, but boxing.
Speaker 4: Really and on the Olympic stage. It does wonder if after well, very much trumpeting and championing and celebrating, trans writes in their opening ceremony, now they feel beholden to like, well, we've got to practice what we preach at the cost of women, women being beaten to a pulp.
Speaker 5: Is that really what it's.
Speaker 4: Going to take, Olympics Committee, for the world to watch these women bruised and bleeding, barely make it out of the ring alive. This should spark a complete outrage in nations across the world because they will be watching these matches and the inequality males have, well, people with greater testosterone, if they have gone through mal puberty, they have greater muscle mass, they have greater bone density, they have greater capacity in their cardiac like there is just absolutely no comparison, and these women going to get absolutely smashed.
Speaker 2: You make a really good point, and that is, once you're committed to this ideology, there's no room for gray and there's no room for you know, being cute with it. So at the opening ceremony they had multiple drag queens. They had women with beards who clearly were biological men. Once you go down that road, there's no room to say, well, you know, a man can be a woman except in the sport of boxing. So you can be a man who's swimming against women but not fighting against you.
Speaker 3: You can't do that.
Speaker 2: You either commit to this ideology or you don't. A transman is a trans woman, is a woman, or he's not. And so your point is well made. How could they allow this in boxing? But if you're going to allow this at all, you've got to allow it everywhere. The great irony, of course, is while they continue to ignore X Y chromosomes, they do antidoping because God.
Speaker 3: Forbid that you have a little bit of extra something or other.
Speaker 5: To want someone to have an advantage.
Speaker 3: Can not be a different gender. And that's fine.
Speaker 1: They've been pretty ropey on some of the antidoping testing as well. I mean, you know, you've only got to look into WADA and the way that it's treated China in some of its regimes to know that there is a problem there. But you know, when you've got so many world sporting bodies and Feena, the World Swimming Body was one of the first to come out and say that we won't allow transgender women to compete in the women's category, and I think there's been a similar edict from the World Soccer Organization as well. But you know, this is not a fringe idea that you don't let transgender women compete in women's sport. How the IOC cannot see that just as a matter of fairness, right, And when you think of the Olympics, the first thing you think of is a fair fight. I mean literally a fight when it comes to boxing. But if you don't have fairness in sport, where can you have fairness?
Speaker 2: The moment they decided that if a man feels like a woman, he is a woman, fairness goes out the window. Where's fairness is completely irre relevant. It's all ideological and that's the end of it, no matter who bears the consequence.
Speaker 5: And it's not just boxing.
Speaker 4: We've got a story coming up in the papers regarding two zambient football players who have also been given the green light to compete despite the fact that well they're not women, are they? But they will be competing in the women's team. How would you like going up against that unfair advantage? I think so very much. But speaking of women, we've now got a group called White Women for Kamala Harris and they have had a ginormous get together online with thousands on a similar zoom call led by a former teacher now turned in influencer on TikTok and Instagram. Here she is heading up the meeting telling the thousands of white women who've tuned in how they're going to.
Speaker 5: Go about this.
Speaker 7: Thank you, hi, everybody. I am so honored to speak today. I am like shaking to just be among such incredible company. We are here because as if you were here earlier, you've heard BIPOC women have tapped us in as white women to step up, listen and get involved the selection season. As white women, we need to use our privilege to make positive changes. If you find yourself talking over or speaking for BIPOC individuals, or god forbid, correcting them, just take a beat and instead we can put our listening ears on. So do learn from and amplify the voices of those who have been historically marginalized, and use the privilege you have in order to push for systemic change.
Speaker 4: The uninitiated BIPOC means Black, Indigenous and people of color, so we must listen to them.
Speaker 5: Nobody talk over the top of them.
Speaker 4: And whatever they say is gospel truth. That's how we're running this campaign. But of course the men couldn't be outdone. Now we've got a white men for Kamala Harris. They too went hard.
Speaker 5: Check out this.
Speaker 8: I'm white, I'm a dude, and I'm for Harris.
Speaker 4: Over the last few years, you know, I've been thinking a lot about men.
Speaker 9: I'm not sure if you guys can recall that feeling you had on the night of Tuesday, November eight, twenty sixty, I stood over my kid's bed.
Speaker 3: And I wept White nationalist in Maga.
Speaker 2: They want to speak for you, you specifically as white men.
Speaker 1: In the marginalized communities that educate me every single day that this is a constant education for all of us.
Speaker 4: The world's problems can be summed up in three simple words, ladies and gentlemen, lack of testoster.
Speaker 3: It was a cool question. Why was there a black guard talking at the white men.
Speaker 5: I was just about to say, I love it.
Speaker 4: He would have tuned in and none of them would have had.
Speaker 5: The gods to be like, oh, this is white.
Speaker 4: Men for Kamala Harris, and you're clearly not white, and therefore no one would have.
Speaker 10: No one would have dar consegregation, No black men allowed on this SI, no one would maybe he identifies as white, and if he identifies as white, who are we.
Speaker 1: To tell you he's not, But to borrow a term from the sort of people that would go along to like white dudes for Harris or white chicks for Harris. I was triggered watching those videos, Like the cringe that was just flowing through me was like, this is so bad. But isn't it so funny that they're sitting there talking about how we've got to sort of endle this racial division. And it's literally like white women for Harris, white dudes for Harris. No one else was bringing the race into it. They have brought the race into it. But we're the anti racist ones because we're pointing out that we're white and we're having meetings exclusively for white people. I mean, for goodness sake, we're rewinding about seventy years in America, aren't we. But if you thought that was bad enough In terms of the campaigning for Kamala Harris, take a look at this. This is a real ad from the Kamala Harris campaign. I can't believe it is real, but this is a real ad.
Speaker 5: She didn't get Bill's past in Congress that I'll protect.
Speaker 1: Me and you wait, Latina Asia not LGBTQ.
Speaker 6: She can get this country back to where we can stand.
Speaker 5: Men to see from home without Well.
Speaker 1: So let me get this straight. Men dressed as women are telling us that Kamala Harris will make a good president because she's a woman. They couldn't get a woman in to tell us that. And by the way, this is another real ad with white mean in it, just after they've been saying how great Kamala is. Now she's crapping all over them, U smag a Republican's band abortion. But that's just the Start's just the start.
Speaker 4: If Trump gets elected, we want the government involved in all aspects of your sex.
Speaker 5: Life, way more involved, way more involved.
Speaker 1: When you have sexual intercourse, it should be illegal to use contraception, no pills, no condom.
Speaker 6: Your genitalists are reserved for pro creation.
Speaker 1: If you freeze twelve eggs, you should be required to have twelve babies or else you're a serial killer. And I'm definitely not a serial killer, are you? I mean, how is that not satire? How is it a real ad? Surely that's like from the Babylon b or something that cannot be real.
Speaker 5: Awhy?
Speaker 2: Why would you vote for Kamala Harris when they're putting out that kind of rubbish.
Speaker 3: We're going to go to a break. When we come back.
Speaker 2: What's making news in the papers, including, of course that breaking news that Rex Airline has been placed into voluntary administration.
Speaker 3: More on that after the break.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a look at what tomorrow's newspapers will be talking about and Liz. Of course, the big story will be what's happening with Rex Airlines.
Speaker 3: The Australia are covering that tomorrow, of course they.
Speaker 4: Are, although it's already out of date given tonight's announcement, but their original headline reads Regional towns fear loss of Rex. The most I guess still applicable.
Speaker 5: Part of this.
Speaker 4: Column here says the airline flies dozens of routes across the continent that are not serviced by other carriers, piggybacking freight onto passenger flights and delivering an essential service to towns scattered throughout out back Australia. Of course, as we've discussed, this is already the concern.
Speaker 5: That is something that.
Speaker 4: They do exclusively, so without them where to from here?
Speaker 5: This article notes that they came to the.
Speaker 4: Brink of collapse and what would now appear just collapse. After Rex's costly expansion into major city routes, you would have thought that they would have just dropped those routes instead of expanding. They've already got the regionals, that's all up and running.
Speaker 5: They're going quite okay.
Speaker 4: But it was once they expanded into those major city routes that it's been like lights out, we actually can't hack this. Now we know that Virgin is now covering off on those routes free of charge, saying hey, we're going to pick up the slack here, and those regional services are still continuing for now. But what the future holds only the government can really decide at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, once you start taking on the major city routes, you're competing against Quantus and Virgin that have huge balance sheets. Rex just did not have of that, and so they were just leaking millions of dollars trying to compete there.
Speaker 3: And of course the tragedy with that.
Speaker 2: Is in trying to expand now it jeopardizes services to regional centers. And of course the problems that we're hearing about tonight have been forecast. REX staff and crew were being locked out of their hotel rooms in the last couple of days because the company hadn't paid hotel accommodation bills, and then when they tried to use the company's Uber account, they found.
Speaker 3: That hadn't been paid and they couldn't do that either.
Speaker 2: So there were warning signs in the past twenty four hours that this was all going to come to a head, and tonight it has.
Speaker 1: And I really feel sorry for those staff because they are genuinely some of the best in the business. They actually take they've got a great fite seriously and provide a great service. But see, we talk now about the fact that the government has to step in and fix all of this, but part of the reason we've ended up in this position in the first place is because of government in action. When REX decided that they were going to take on the law arger domestic market, and that started, as I said earlier, with Melbourne to Sydney and vice versa. Then they expanded Adelaide to Melbourne. They recently expanded into Perth as well. And a lot of this was the brainchild of the chairman of REX, John Sharp, who I have to say is a good guy and cares deeply about the airline and what it tries to do and it's ethos. But the federal government, despite the recommendations of a former chairman of the Productivity Commission, would not give REX sort of peak time slots, particularly at Sydney Airport, which means they can only fly at certain times of the day, and that has generally been somewhere around ten o'clock in the morning, at about four o'clock in the afternoon, or later in the evening. I think about actually about eight o'clock in the evening. So Rex was never really given a fair chance to muscle into the market because the federal government wouldn't open up the slots to allow them to actually anticipate in the market. So we say, sure, we want you to come in because it's good for competition, it's good for business to have another player trying to take on Virgin and Quantus. But if you don't give them a fair running and say well, you can have a slot at Sydney Airport at midday or at five pm, all the times that people particularly want to fly, you're trying to corral them into slots where they simply don't want to fly. I think Rex gave it a good go, but in some ways the system was gained against them, which is a real shame because we know how much control the federal government has over the planes that fly in and out of domestic airports and also internationally. I mean, don't forget when Virgin wanted to do a deal with a guitar that they wanted to have some extra flights to come into Australia internationally, and of course Quantus kicked up a stink about that, and then the federal government wouldn't give them the permission to bring extra flights in. So the government is intrinsically linked to how the air industry operates here. And then you had the handbringing of Albanesi in code today saying oh, you know, we already provide lots of support unconditionally to Rex. Well, you could have done something serious for them and allowed them to fly at times when people wanted to fly and for the consumer who is looking for a good service, which I would argue they've lost, particularly from Quantus. Certainly post COVID, you just don't get the sort of service out of Quantus that you used to. And if they're looking for an affordable flight, which was definitely a market that Rex was going for, you take all of that away and what are you supposed to do. I mean, a flight from Sydney to Melbourne these days at some point can be upwards of four hundred dollars and how can it cost four hundred dollars to fly from Sydney to Melbourne and vice versa. Someone else tries to come into the market, but they can't do it when people want to fly, well, of course they're going to collapse.
Speaker 4: And Transport Workers union boss Michael Caine has pointed the finger fairly and squarely at Quoni. Direct quote from him, he's accused quantus of quote coming down like a ton of bricks on the mainline routes to squeeze Rex out end quote, So he's obviously cognizant of what's happened. Most people would just be like, oh, REX has gone into administration, just like BONDSA did in April. The airline industry seems to be on the down, but it's really not. The government has played favorites, it would seem, and that is why we are seeing these smaller guys who are trying to get a leg up get absolutely nowhere. And another issue Michael Caine raises is the two thousand workers who are now going to be looking for other jobs but won't be able to be absorbed by other airlines.
Speaker 5: If indeed REX does end up going down.
Speaker 2: You've got the two victims here, right, You've got the traveling public who and it's incredibly annoying and upsetting when you spent hundreds of dollars on flights that now you're not sure what you will do, although, as you said, if people contact Virgin, Virgin are going to help out. But then you've got two thousand people, many of them with mortgages, with rakes about to go up again, power bills a sky high, who are now thinking what am I going to do for work?
Speaker 4: And it does seem that Rex was rather disingenuous when it came to dealing with their own staff, telling them, oh, it's just business as usual, you know, there's if anything kind of made it out to be misinformation, like any anything that you're hearing about this, you know, just keep going on with your work as if nothing's happening.
Speaker 5: And now these guys find out along.
Speaker 4: With the rest of us, that actually this is very serious.
Speaker 3: And it looks like Dabrams.
Speaker 2: You can't dare let slip that you're in trouble otherwise everyone stops booking.
Speaker 1: Site and sir correct and then all your creditors come running as well. And that's why they had the trading halt, because of course, if anyone caught wind of this before there was a trading halt, then the stock price would have absolutely plummeted once again. You have a complete cash flow problem because everyone's pulling their and their capital out of the company. And for just going back to what it means for the consumer, if there's not some sort of intervention from the government, and I don't mean just Rex here, but if there's not some sort of intervention from the government to create a more open domestic airline market that Bonds and Rex and others before it have tried to do. And never never forget that Anset fell over as well. You know, so many companies have tried to muscle in on the market, but without the cooperation of the government, you simply can't do it. And you've got to ask the question, why are they so protective of not so much Virgin, but Quantus in particular. I mean, remember all that money that was given in job keeper payments to Quantus, none of which has been paid back by Quantus, despite the fact that it made record profits directly after COVID. The federal government didn't jump in to bail out Virgin when they were going belly up during cod They had to rely on a private investor to come in and put that money in. I don't think that would happen with Quantus. We had this attachment to Quantus because it was once a government owned national carrier airline. But we've moved beyond that. There shouldn't be any protection anymore. The government should be trying to open up the market, and they simply unwilling to do it.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to go to a break when we come back. A journalist embarrassed when he assumes the people he's interviewing are as racist as he is.
Speaker 3: That's coming up.
Speaker 2: Let's say a good lawyer never asks a question he doesn't already know the answer to, and this journalist asked a question that he assumed he knew the answer to, only to.
Speaker 3: Be shocked by the response.
Speaker 5: How many of you know a black man who has expressed to you that they're committed to voting for Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: For the brothers who have told you that were said that to you.
Speaker 5: Has the emergence of Kamala Harris achieved that all?
Speaker 2: You've got to love it when MSNBC they're sure they know what the answer is, because you know, they are so motivated by rac I think everyone else is to.
Speaker 3: Find No, these black men refuse to be you guys into a corner.
Speaker 4: Because a target demographic you're supposed to hate, Drum, come on, help me out here, and his back up question thinking I'll get him here. Yeah, but they've changed their minds now, aren't they? Because someone who's black. She's not really, but someone who's black is running for president. Surely they switch their votes now, And they're.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, no, I love the imagery though he even had them sitting in the corner, don't you had them? But they refuse to be cornered.
Speaker 1: They're now going to have to get a group of Indians in the room to ask them as well, because of course that's that's what she actually.
Speaker 5: Is, is Indian and Jamaica.
Speaker 1: This this thing that the MSNBC is doing where they just sort of get a bunch of people in a room who are meant to belong to some sort of interest group and then asking them how they feel isn't working. Because we showed a clip last week of them asking a bunch of women what they thought of Kamala and they said she was stupid. So I'm glad he MISSINGBC is having it thrown.
Speaker 4: I think she's an idiot.
Speaker 1: One of the of all the stories I saw today, this one is my favorite. Pesto the penguin at Melbourne Aquarium. He's just a baby, but have a look at the size of this bugger.
Speaker 5: Behind me. We have Pisto. He is our newest time chick. He's about six months old. You know the look at me. Is our biggest baby ever at almost twenty heroes. It's his foster Pearance Tango one hutson't have done a really good job raising him.
Speaker 7: He eats about twenty five fish a day spread over fair feeds, which is about.
Speaker 5: Double ware adult King penguins kit.
Speaker 8: So this is allowing him to look up really quickly, so he can slitch in a.
Speaker 5: Few months time and he'll come out looking like one of those guys.
Speaker 1: I mean, I weighed four times as match as him, and I couldn't even eat as much as he eats in a day.
Speaker 5: It's incredible.
Speaker 3: Are we going to show that?
Speaker 2: We've got to show one more clip because that penguin reminded us of something else.
Speaker 8: Have a look.
Speaker 3: Also very large.
Speaker 2: Hey listen, that's it from us tonight, repeating that news Rex Airlines placed in voluntary administration.
Speaker 3: For more updates throughout the night on.
Speaker 2: What that means for the traveling public go to our website skynews dot com dot au. All the information, the latest will be there coming up. Now it's the Reef Penalty Show.