Speaker 1: I'm Daniel James and you're listening to seven AM. In Western Australia, police have just started trialing a technology that can identify people as they walk past a marked police fan will scan faces outside major events, cross checking them against a watch list of people want to buy authorities, police states targeted and that innocent people have nothing to fear. But once this kind of surveillance has switched on, the question becomes how far it spreads and who decides when it stops. Today, University of New South Wales cybersecurity expert Professor Richard Bucklin on the scope creep of live facial recognition and the danger of normalizing police powers before the public understands them. It's Tuesday, June twenty three.
Speaker 2: Our custom built facial recognition VAN, which is going to be used to assist police operations. VAN has a number of features inside it, including a computer system which processes images from high quality cameras, which then compares those images against the database.
Speaker 1: Richard. WA Police have announced a trial of live facial recognition technology. What can you tell us about the technology and how will this trial work?
Speaker 3: So this is a very limited trial they've announced, It's just in one van. Which will be marked, saying according to the images we've seen that there's facial recognition running and how it works is they are looking for particular people in this case, so they've got presumably a database somewhere of faces of people feed a certain category and they're trying to see if any of those people walk past the van.
Speaker 4: Important thing for us in our police force working with our community is transparency and public safety. That's why the has police written on the side. It has very clear signage about what it's doing.
Speaker 3: And the categories that've mentioned are people who are wanted for domestic plots, known sex offenders, so pretty reprehensible people and the sort of people you'd really want the police to be able to catch, and it would seem reasonable that they'd be out in public looking for these people.
Speaker 4: This is not about mass surveillance. This is about specifying those in our community who are wanted by police because there is an arrest warrant out for them, who are on sex offender lists, who should not be in the vicinity, particularly of young children. But it's also about helping missing people as.
Speaker 3: We understand it. They're obviously a bit cooe about the details, but the images are scanned in real time. If there's a match, then the recording is left showing those faces and the police are alerted in real time, presumely in the van, and then the other faces that don't match anyone on this list are pixelated.
Speaker 4: This is actually a way that we can increase the freedoms and the privacy of our community.
Speaker 1: The Police commissioner says, this is actually a less intrusive option than what police currently rely on, which is CCTV footage from private citizens.
Speaker 5: Look, I've always been concerned about the spread of CCTV around our community, particularly the ownership of the cameras where the information stored. How long this story. We don't even know half these cameras and who's using them.
Speaker 1: What do you make of that argument?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's the argument that we always hear with privacy related things. I'm sure the police will continue using the methods that they currently have, so there's in no sense is adding this into the mix less intrusive. It's actually widening the range of surveillance powers they have. The argument's not going to the harder things for a number of reasons. It is certainly the case that the police will use this to catch people that everyone agrees should be caught. The problem isn't with the software doing its job, So the problem is what are the consequences to everyone else? What's a consequence to a society of having cameras everywhere? And if this continues on this trajectory, then this software now could be used once the trials run and everyone's happy with the trial which achieved its snublanes, it could then be used to monitor everyone everywhere in a way we've never had before. Once you've got technology able to do something, then everyone sits around think of reasons and ways you can use it to do other things. And this is scope creep and we see this over and over again with privacy. So the example I'm really familiar with is in New South Wales, we had a trial of cameras to detect people using mobile phones because a lot of road safety data, as I'm sure everyone knows, shows that mobile phone usage by the driver was involved in a frightening number of accidents that caused harm to lots of other people, innocent people when the drive was using it. So they put these cameras in locations and they're very high resolution that can detect if someone's using a mobile phone. It was a success. It identified lots of people using the phone as. On the basis of that successful identification, those cameras have been rolled out and they're increasingly appearing around New South Wales. But the scope creep happened when someone said, we've got this footage, what else can we use it for? We can easily see if someone's wearing a seat belt using this, So now those cameras are used for seat belt offenses not wearing a seat belt. Sure, it's still a good thing to do, I guess, but the difference is with a mobile phone. The argument in the trial was you can kill innocent people. Other people suffer from you breaking this law. If you're not wearing a seat belt, you're probably the only one that's going to suffer from not wearing a seat belt. It won't go back to the public and it won't be tested again. It's now they've got that capability. It can be used for other things, and this is I guess, what's scaring and why it's always good to check back after a short period of time what the thing's being used for and by someone independent. Is this in line with our intents and values right now?
Speaker 1: They're using for this trial a very clearly marked police fan. Police haven't ruled out using this in a more covert form and future including a protests. How does that change the equation compared to what was originally being trialed.
Speaker 3: You're spot on. If it's used at protests, for example, imagine, you know, we're back in the old days where it was illegal to be home sexual at criminal offense. Then if there was a protest for gay rights. Having a camera they're identifying people in real time, you know, obviously means that a database can be built of people. Now you could argue, well, we could have the camera and not recorded in real time. You know, we could have the camera and analyzi this later, but that's a much bigger job once you've got to you know, you probably know yourself. If you get a book and read, it's easy. But if you put it in that pile of books and that pol just gets bigger and bigger and bigger, it's much harder to search. So giving people real time capability to update databases means you could identify people who are violating the law, even when perhaps it's not a law we're totally happy with, and it's a chilling effect really on your ability to protest, like we saw in China and Hong Kong.
Speaker 1: Coming up, how facial recognition technology is being used elsewhere in Australia and the world, Richard, what can you tell us about how this technology has been used by police and other parts of the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so in the States, they do a lot of facial recognition stuff, and it's being used to identify people that the police are interested in and because they've had a long history of doing that. But I do think the big problem in the States is the chilling effect that you would now be frightened to protest against things you might think are egregious. And then there's this other question, which is once your movements are tracked and known and that data is stored somewhere, who has access to this. So in the States, there are examples where the police, individuals insiders inside the police, use it for tracking their spouse, use it for finding spouses who have escaped them for family violence.
Speaker 6: Reasons are of DIA's office. As this former coast to me as a police officer, not only is these flot cameras to track his mistress, her new boyfriends, as well as his current wife, but also use confidential law enforcement systems to be able to run people a number of times that had nothing to do with his work.
Speaker 3: One police officer used it to track down and date someone he thought was interesting and work out where they lived and where they went, and all sorts of things like that.
Speaker 7: Have a former Milwaukee police officer pleading guilty today to a misdemeanor. It comes after court record show Joe suay Ayala seerves the locations of his girlfriend and her boyfriend more than one hundred and seventy times using Milwaukee Police Department's license plate reading technology.
Speaker 3: So even if the government and the police as an organization say they're going to look after the data and it's been used for good purposes, of course individuals have access to the data. And then the extension of that is if they break into this database. So the criminals.
Speaker 1: Richard Now, a Florida man, is suing police after II facial recognition technology led to his wrongful arrest. How lockily a situations lot that to arise with his technolog.
Speaker 3: Technology always makes mistakes. The only way of stopping it making mistakes is spending more money and often to reduce mistakes by a lot costs a huge amount. More So, usually we solve mistakes by shifting them from one type of mistake to the other. So the type one and type two mistakes that this software can make. One is where it wrongfully identifies an innocent person as being a bad person, and the other mistake is where a bad person doesn't get properly identified. And really there's a knoll almost on the software that you can choose where you set it. If you set it too far, if you're too determined to catch all the criminals and not let anyone through, then it will wrongfully identify a range of.
Speaker 1: People with this technology. Richard, what about racial bias, because there's been an issue with technology like this in the past not really taking into account the diversity within communities. Well, what can you say to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, most of the data sets that things have been trained on are white, middle class white males and a high profile people in disadvantaged groups, minority groups in America, people with perhaps disabilities. You know, you could just imagine, I haven't trained it on everyone in the world. If your training data isn't good enough, it's making a guess based on what it's seen. So yeah, absolutely, there's all these sort of biases in the software, and even facial recognition with human makes mistakes. It's not a very good way of identifying people.
Speaker 1: Another one of the police commissioners arguments was that this technology is already being used out in the community. How widespread is this both inside and outside of policing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it, it is been Can I just say that's not a brilliant argument. My children try that one.
Speaker 1: Everyone's doing it is the idea.
Speaker 3: Everyone's doing it, so I can I mean, this is I guess just taking a quick diversion. This is really the problem with the cameras. You put your finger on it in a nutshell, that we're slowly drifting by a series of incremental steps, and at every point we can make an argument that if you don't look at it too carefully, you think, oh, that's reasonable. But as we make step by step by step, people's privacy and ability to live a life not being surveiled is diminished, and arguments then are, well, you've already lost it, so we can just keep doing it. So this incremental drift is actually quite scary. Visual capture is very widespread. There's cameras everywhere. If we take it step by step, including lots of private cameras pointing onto the street. It's very hard to walk around in Sydney. If you drive down the road to the Blue Mountains. It used to be one surveillance camera at the beginning. There's now one every two hundred meters. I don't know how they got the budget to do that. So then there's facial recognition applied to recordings, and that is not so widely done by people that's more forensic people, but real time facial recognition that has commercial advantages and people do use that. And Bunnings and Kmarts as a famous case that happened recently, where they were using it to identify people that would be abusive to their staff, or people that committed very sorts of fraud either check out fraud not scanning things, or people who made multiple fraudulent returns and plaim money back on items they hadn't brought in the store.
Speaker 8: Some of the most popular retailers are being accused of invading customers privacy by installing facial recognition cameras in their stores. Kmart, Bunnings and the good guys have been blasted by This.
Speaker 3: Was met with a lot of public shock that they were recording people and identifying people without telling them.
Speaker 8: Kmart has been found to have breached privacy laws in its use of facial recognition technology in stores across the country.
Speaker 9: Bunnings has been given the green light to use facial recognition technology across its stores. The hardware giant maintains it will only use the technology to prevent shoplifting and protect staff. It won an appeal in the Administrative Review Tribunal following an earlier ruling that it breached customer privacy.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, it is being used, and I would expect unless there is a stop to it. If we just keep saying yeah, that sounds reasonable, we could eventually live in an all willing world wherever you go, you're recognized and noticed, Your movements are known. And that's so obvious from some people, witness protection plans, people who are trying to hide from abusive partners, people are trying to whistle blow. We've seen some whistleblowing happening recently, the KP and G case that are now saying they wouldn't whistle blow again, that the fact of surveillance is actually enough to stop people wanting to speak out. So yeah, So the world we're moving into if this is allowed, would be a very different world, and it'd be good for us to stop and think, is this what we want to.
Speaker 1: That effect Richard, this is a trial, but history shows us that when police are given powers that those powers are usually extended. So what checks and balances are currently in place to sure that there isn't overreach with this technology?
Speaker 3: My understanding, and I could be wrong, is very little. We've got some words saying this is what we're going to use it for now. And credit to the police commissioner for saying this. Most commissioners of police in most acts do this stuff under the radar as much as they can. It's really good that he spoke about what they're doing, and he has spoken about their intentions, but he's refused to rule out other intentions. I mean, the things you'd like to see an independent review after a short period of time, constraints on what the surveillance could involve, the sorts of things we saw in COVID when the government tried to bring out the contact tracing app and there was a lot of alarm that the government would get an it's location data in real time. The government then put a whole lot of quite good restrictions on how it could be used with the sunset clause, and it would be good to see this sort of thing, but it's very hard to get anyone to put constraints on the police. Really, both sides of politics almost outdo themselves for giving the police extra powers. I would hope that there will be a review, an independent review. I would hope there'll be restrictions on who can see the data. I would hope there'd be requirements about the data being stored in a way that insiders inside the police can't access it, and that accessing get reviewed. I would hope that the data be encrypted in a reasonable way so if packers break in, they can't access the data. I would hope recording would be destroyed, and no one ever likes destroying data, so they won't unless forced to destroy it, they'll keep it. And then the last thing is a pixelation. There should be leglas restrictions, not just down to the current way it's done, saying this pixelation has to happen either on the camera or on device, but certainly before any recording is made, so there is no way someone can ever get hold of the unpixelated version. It's not good enough to say, oh, we promise, we never will, or we have checks and balances in places sure and never will. There should be an independent order to make sure you can't get anyone else's idea.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you very much, Richard. We should note that the police say that they won't store the data Reustralians who aren't on their wanted lists. But in the meantime, what could possibly go wrong? Richard, Thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 3: Thanks Daniel.
Speaker 1: In the news, Ingham's has announced a complete lockdown in western Australia after a second case of H five in one bird flu was confirmed. So far, the cases have been contained to wild birds, but experts fear the outbreak may be larger than we know, with more than fifty calls to a hotline reporting sick and dead birds. Before the cases, Australia had been the only continent free of the virus, which has killed millions of birds and thousands of mammals. And Zale's DEGO has reportedly set to launch a new party as soon as this week. After months of secret talks about a seal party, the Independent MP is apparently ready to pull the trigger. It may initially be a party of one, but Allegras Bender, Sophie Scomps, and Nicolette Bulla are all reportedly open to joining. I'm Daniel James. Thanks for listening to seven AM. We'll be back tomorrow