Speaker 1: High Scrollers is produced on Gaddigle Land.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this country and elders past and present.
Speaker 1: We extend our respect to any first nations Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island of people joining us today.
Speaker 2: Always was, always will be Aboriginal Land.
Speaker 1: I got something that I need to ask you about because I think there's something that everyone's got wrong. And it's about demerit points.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, an interesting way to start the class about this episode.
Speaker 1: About demerit points.
Speaker 2: Everyone, demerit points, you know what, That's what you come here for. You come here for the real hot topics, well, the topics that just you dye and to know about. And I reckon that the top not at the top of this maybe second or third on the list demerit points. So let's chat about it.
Speaker 1: People have got demerit points wrong. Why did you know that you have no demerit points? And then you gain them, You.
Speaker 2: Gain them, and you can gain up to thirteen and then you lose your license.
Speaker 1: Everyone that I talk to thinks you start with thirteen and then you lose de merit.
Speaker 2: And so it's in the name demerit and so everyone's like, it's not a merit point, it's a demerit point. You're getting a point for doing the wrong thing.
Speaker 1: It makes no sense, right because everyone that I speak to about it is like, yeah, I've lost this many points, but don't lose points, you gain them.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see what you're saying, Like I lost four points.
Speaker 1: You didn't lose four points, you gained four point.
Speaker 2: No, they did lose four points because they've got thirteen. See here's the tricky thing, because I know what you're saying. You're gaining the four points, but they lost four.
Speaker 1: Points out of the thirty. No.
Speaker 2: See, how do I explain this? How do I dumb it down? Because I know what I'm trying to say, but I can't say it. The words aren't for me. So when they say I lost four points, that actually is still correct terminology and the correct way to say it. Because but they haven't lost four demerit points, but they've lost four of their thirteen points.
Speaker 1: See, but I have zero points.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, But you have an allocation of up to thirteen. So if you gain four demerit points, you have lost four points.
Speaker 1: Why does it have to be that way. Why can't everyone just have thirteen and then you lose them and when you get to zero, then you've lost your license. Why do you have to get to thirteen?
Speaker 2: Because I think if you get more than thirteen, I don't know, but what happens then, because if you get twelve to jail, I don't think you go to jail. But what I'm saying is like, if you were at twelve and then you know on double demerits, let's say you got six demerit points for whatever you did wrong, then you're at eighteen demerit points, even though the limit is thirteen.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what I got another question. While we're on the topic of double demerits. You know how when it's double demerits long leaking, jove bug and safe, why don't they just do double demerits all the time?
Speaker 2: Then? I think it desensitizes everyone. And I think at the point is is that more accidents happen on those weekends because more people are on the roads and more people are likely to drink drive. True, So I think that's probably the answer. They're sorry, I get it. You probably wanted me to go back and forth with you there and go. I don't know, but.
Speaker 1: I and also I also think about speeding cameras. Uh huh, Like I know there's obviously rules around them, you know how they have to have like the two warning signs before it before you actually like everyone just knows where they are. They just slow it down.
Speaker 2: This is so funny. I love this episode. The speed cameras are not there to trick you into catching you speeding. It's put in problem areas so that everyone slows down. They need you to know about the slop speed cameras.
Speaker 1: Wh don't we just have them everywhere so then everyone just drives normal? Why don't people just drive fucking normal?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Agree, normal, but speed cameras are yeah, put in places I am.
Speaker 1: Normal the whole America troop because there's this really old clip. Surely everyone knows Cheryl and Barnes.
Speaker 2: I don't reckon everyone does.
Speaker 1: There's Cheryl and Barnes. Just look her up and there was this clip that she made like years and years ago, like in the YouTube days, because that's how long Cheryln's been around for Shout out Chryln. By the way, not that I think she listens to every episode of ours.
Speaker 2: I don't think she listens to any episode.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to send this to her because she always picks on me on my lives. And so it was in the era of a lot of the big American YouTubers like doing a coming out video. People are gonna find this funny because you just got to know Chryln. So there was like, who was in it, Tyler Oakley, I'm gay, I'm gay, I'm by and then she goes and I'm normal like you.
Speaker 2: I just love it. She literally she used to say in her videos all the time. I respect everyone, whether you are gay or normal.
Speaker 1: You have no Chryln anyway. I don't know. I saw it pop up on TikTok and it was when we were in America. I'm then the whole tripe. I just it made me realize how much I use the word normal in my everyday language. And then to the whole truth, I'd be like, that is so normal. Normal anyway, fucking drive safely everyone. That is the key messaging of this episode, sponsored by New South Wales Roads. It's no, it's not, it's over there, like no.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: If you thought that you start with points and lose them, you're wrong.
Speaker 2: Yes, but technically you do lose points.
Speaker 1: But you start with zero end if you go on to like your service New South Wales app or whatever app you use.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Do the other states have apps?
Speaker 2: Who knows?
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 2: I heard Victoria doesn't do double demerits?
Speaker 1: Don't they?
Speaker 2: That's not a thing?
Speaker 1: And don't they not have tolls?
Speaker 2: I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: I think they don't have to.
Speaker 2: Don't know.
Speaker 1: I could be wrong here, but they don't have tolls.
Speaker 2: Came with the fuck down there because the amount of fucking do you know that? Like sometimes one trip will cost thirty two dollars.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have been driving for the last two years for this podcast and it costs me, Yeah, forty bucks every day and forty bucks parking. I pay eighty dollars to come on this podcast every week.
Speaker 2: It makes me sick because my dad used to just when I was younger, he linked up my tolls to his toll account so my car would go through, but he'd get and then he just would pay it. Yeah, and then he obviously at the time I wasn't driving to Sydney that often. So then when you get the bill at the end of the year or however it works. He'd just be like, hey, mate, you owe one hundred and seventy dollars for your toals. I'm like, sweet, nowhere is there?
Speaker 1: You go?
Speaker 2: So I didn't think about it because it was so you know, it was like one big lump sum fuck. But all so I had this thing on that was like, you can do it with your toll boothy thing, you know, your little thing that beeps when you go through. Yeah, you can set the amount that loads onto it. So I had to set it twenty five dollars my fucking bank statement in the space of a week. Because there's something that's like a CAP's at sixty dollars. So that used to not happen. That's a new thing, I think, or recent in.
Speaker 1: The last people that live there, because it costs me Yet like forty dollars every time I come to Sydney.
Speaker 2: Twenty five dollars got taken out like six times in two days. I was like, this is a fucking jowa. You know why we pay tolls right? And how that works? Because I didn't know this and they found it really interesting.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: So from my understanding, the government has employees a construction company to build the toll road but doesn't pay them, but says you may have all of or maybe it's a split, but you will get the earnings off it. So basically the government goes, hello, we need you to build this road to a big construction agency or company, and then they go, we won't pay you a cent. It's going to probably cost you one hundred million dollars to build the road, but we're not going to pay you. But you can charge tolls and get the toll and you can make the money off it. So in the long run, and you know, for these building companies, like you know, thirty years down the track or I don't know how long, then it's really profitable and they probably make more money than if they just charge the government to do it. But that's why we pay tolls. I mean, I hate it, but I found it interesting.
Speaker 1: I thought I just went to the government and they use it for whatever the fuck they want.
Speaker 2: I think that they must take a cut of some sort. And also, don't quote me. It could be fucking wrong. Half the shit I saund on this podcast I make up.
Speaker 1: Anyway, this is a fake news podcast. If I'd ever seen what I was just confidently saying everything that is so wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But anyway, as I was saying in News South Wales, we have the service New South Wales app. Oh yeah, go on to it and then you can literally just click this one section and it will show you how many points you do have. And then if you've never gotten like a fine or whatever, you've got zero.
Speaker 2: Have you got any fines? No ever in your life?
Speaker 1: Parking fines. Yeah, I've gotten parking plants, but never got a speeding fine.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So you've never lost any Tomerit points.
Speaker 1: No, I've never gained any because it's zero. But it scared me the first time I looked, because I was like, oh my god, it's a zero, Like I thought I'd.
Speaker 2: Lost my license.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize you have to gain them in the app.
Speaker 2: Right. Okay, yeah, yeah, sorry to go back to America again. But have you found that since you have gotten home it's not so bad on the roads. Yeah, But on footpaths or.
Speaker 1: At the shops, I haven't really hoped anywhere noticed.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I.
Speaker 1: Have been walking around my house, I.
Speaker 2: Have been walking on the wrong side of the path.
Speaker 1: I hate it over there, I hate it. I hate going on the other side, like, yeah, they drive on the other side. Which Aj and I drove from Palm Springs to Vegas and then that was pretty fun, and I drove because Aj is like, I don't want to drive, like I think he was freaking out. But when you're in the car and like all the other cars are on your side, you don't even feel like you're on the wrong side of the road.
Speaker 2: No, but it's not the wrong side of the road vibes. The thing that gets me is you don't know the rules. So for example, with certain signs or certain stop signs or certain traffic lights, but they're not marked. You can just turn. You can turn if you know here we have like left turn permitted on red yeah, if safe to if there's no cars coming, it's that, but it's not.
Speaker 1: Marked as I didn't get any of those.
Speaker 2: So I remember when my dad was driving in America and everyone was kept beeping him and then it wasn't until someone was in front of us that we saw them go on a red light and we were like, get any of that. So it's all those things that that's what stresses me out. It's not so much that it's on the opposite.
Speaker 1: When you're on the opposite side of the car and on the opposite side of the road, you don't feel like I didn't feel anything different. The only thing where you feel weird is when you're like turning at a set of lights, and like you go to go where you would be at home, but you've got to go out and around like to get to the I don't know. That was the only bit that threw me off. But then also in America, because they obviously drive on the other side of the road, they walk on the other side of the foot part, and we're so used to going left, Like when you're walking towards someone and you're on the foot path, you go left. They go left, but in America they go right.
Speaker 2: So my thing is, though, did you find that people didn't take any fucking notice of that? Because it was pissing me off. So I was very diligent with the walking on the right side. I'm very much. I'm I'm such a like. I don't know why. I actually don't know why, because it wasn't even like a big thing in my upbringing. You'd think it was like drilled into me. But for some reason, walking on the left hand side here in Australia, even if I'm on an escalator, I'm up against the left so that people can overtake me.
Speaker 1: That was we do over there, Like the escalators are on the right and you don't realize how used to it we are at home, but you go to go to the left, and so we would go to go to the left and it's the down.
Speaker 2: So oh yeah, that's what you're saying, so you know, okay, yes, so true. So because that made no sense to me at first, but I've just realized.
Speaker 1: The escalators are literally switch.
Speaker 2: Yes, so obviously when we're going in Australia up and escalator, it's on the left side, but it's flipped the leftie. The left one is down.
Speaker 1: Why does it have to be flipped?
Speaker 2: Well, because that's the side that they do everything all over there. But the point is I've gotten home and I'm I'm stuck in the right side, and I keep because in Australia we really abide by that law. I feel, not law, but you know what I mean, like the unwritten law. Yes, Like I feel like in Australia everyone knows how to walk on the football path properly. In America. I was making sure I was sticking to the right side, and I just feel like no one else gave the shit. I had people coming directly at me the whole time.
Speaker 1: Everyone there was a tourist, So I did consider that.
Speaker 2: But what I have learned is I feel you can just look at someone and know they're American.
Speaker 1: Right? What?
Speaker 2: Why are we? Why are we laughing at that team? What's going on?
Speaker 1: You? Could you?
Speaker 2: Sorry? I can I just look at someone and go American.
Speaker 1: I can tell the same way that you can look at someone and be like, you're from Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Because remember we'd even that while we're over there, We're like, oh, is that a couple?
Speaker 1: Ossy and I remember when I was in China, like a few weeks before. I was in the hotel lobby and this guy walked in with no shoes and boardies and a T shirt and I'm like, he's Ozzy yeah. And then I heard him.
Speaker 2: Talk and he was, yeah, you know what's funny is in when we were in Airwon that last day, we were in an aisle and this guy walked into the aisle and I looked at him and in my brain I went, that's a fucking aussy. He didn't speak, he didn't do anything that was aussy. There was that. I just looked at him, and when that's an Australian man. The strangest thing happened. I get a DM later that day from a guy saying because I had posted I was at Airwon and he messaged me and said, we're doing the exact same trip at the exact same time. It's spinning me out. And I was like, oh, that's so funny. And I looked at his profile picture and I was like, wait a second. I clicked on his profile. I think it was on private, but I was able to, like, you know, make his profile picture bigger. It was the guy I saw in air on. So I messaged him and was like, I saw you in air on today. I remember you were in Australia.
Speaker 1: It was the same guy that I saw at Sydney Airport when I landed.
Speaker 2: That'd be crazy. I'll find the DM and see it was. But anyway, he didn't. He didn't see me an air one, okay, like he didn't. That didn't prompt him to message me. He didn't even see us. He didn't know I was there until later and I posted on my story like that was so weird, but it's so funny the.
Speaker 1: Same guy, because I was standing at the airport trying it, which, by the way, my rant of the week this mini I'll just end this episode with a rant of the week Sydney Airport. I hired a car because AJ had driven my car home from the airport, so I hired it one way rental. So I landed at the International terminal. And you know how usually the higher cars are just out there in the car park like in the like in the underground car park area. Not at Sydney International. They are all the way over at the domestic side. They're not just there, like you don't just walk out and walk in to hire your car. So then I landed, got my bags and then for any of you that knows, Sydney International Uber area is absolutely like a nightmare, like there's a long snake line for the uber x or if you want to order something better anyway, hang on a.
Speaker 2: Second, what the bloody heck are you going on about? I think you landed at an awful time, because my.
Speaker 1: I must have my mind was seamless, No, mine was chaos.
Speaker 2: Did you do uber X or the other one the other one Okay, so I did the other one. It wasn't good. I then went to uber X. So uber X doesn't assign you a driver.
Speaker 1: The driver yeah, which I was short, but the line, the snake line was full, so I was like, I go fucking lining up there. So I'm trying to book like an Uber Comfort or Uber Premium whatever, and they're all over in like you know how they wait in the other car path. Yeah, like they go wait until they get a signed and blah blah blah. So I'm trying to book it. And then i'd book it and get a driver, but then they'd cancel because my trip was so short, and so I'm like, what the fuck am I supposed to do here? So I'm messaging them like, please don't cancel. I have no other way to get to the other side taxi. That line was fucked as well.
Speaker 2: A really awful time anyway, because I.
Speaker 1: Got up that you have to pick up the car at the other side of the airport. Yeah, and there's no like true, there's no shuttle bus or anything to get you to the car rental spot.
Speaker 2: I'm not kidding. I reckon. I got off my plane and was in my Uber within about twelve minutes.
Speaker 1: No, I was there for an hour and a half.
Speaker 2: Crazy, Yeah, and I just got my Uber. I did the comfort first or whatever it was. And then because usually you have a bit more luck with those at airports, I find and there.
Speaker 1: Must be a new thing, the uber x thing where you don't book and there's like staff there from Uber and they like tell you where to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Melbourne does it really well too in Melbourne and gone Melbourne.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they've got that zone or the zones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you go to the zone, you know what. Lax was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was good.
Speaker 2: They have a huge car park and everyone goes there. First of all, we had to get on a shot of us from our terminal to this big car park. Huge, and then it's like row twenty one abcd EF, you know, row twenty two, twenty three, and so we book an Uber and then it says, oh sorry, no we select. So it said where would you like to be picked up from? And then we say twenty three G And then we just walked to twenty three G and the car comes there and it won't allow like there's just random numbers because it won't allow you to book one that someone else has booked. Yeah, so just so seamless. As I said, some things they do in that country, I think this is genius, and other things I go, what the bloody fucking heck is going on in here?
Speaker 1: To that? I love anyway, See you next Tuesday,