Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Tuesday, July twenty eighth, twenty twenty six. Justiner Allen has quit as Victorian Premier after a catastrophic news poll, and now Labour's new premier has just months to try to save the twelve year old government or become a trivial pursued question. Damon Johnston joins us to discuss how it all went down. Mcgurglar for Allan.
Speaker 2: This big news out of Victoria.
Speaker 1: The Premier to center.
Speaker 3: Allan is fighting for her political life as Deputy Premier Ben Carroll announces he will challenge the leadership.
Speaker 4: And I could have been more proud that I supported Jacinta Allen.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, you're not.
Speaker 5: Could I ask that you retract that last comment.
Speaker 1: This is an incredibly just Into Alan.
Speaker 3: She is too much to hide and too much to lose.
Speaker 1: On Tuesday morning, before her colleagues had a chance to vote her out, just Into Alan quit as Victorian Premier.
Speaker 5: At the end of the day, I am and always have been a team player. The most important thing I want to say today is thank you, thank you, thank you to the Victorian people. It has been the honor of my life to serve you as your Premier. I stepped down after one thousand and thirty six days in this role. Not one of them wasted, not one of them easy.
Speaker 1: Damon Johnston is the Australian's Victorian editor. Damon justinto Allan's gone. Why was she never able to capture Victorian's hearts.
Speaker 4: Jacina Allen has been the chosen one since the late nineteen nineties, so we're heading towards three decades in parliament. So she has had a charmed career. But in the thousand and thirty four days since she became Premier, so two years and ten months, she's failed to do a very important thing, and that is define her leadership in her own right. She isn't her own woman as the Premier of Victoria. She's chosen to walk alongside the ghost of Daniel Andrews. And I think she'll be thinking as her colleagues turn on her that perhaps she could have been more decisive in defining herself as her own leader, rather than just simply implementing his policies.
Speaker 1: Daniel Andrews was one of those characters who even from Afar it was hard not to have an opinion about him. He was bombastic, he was argumentative. He could obviously be quite charming when he chose to be.
Speaker 4: Can I confirm that.
Speaker 1: What you're saying is is that we can finally get back on the beers. I don't know that I'll be drinking a beer tonight.
Speaker 2: I might get a little higher up the shelf.
Speaker 1: How would you describe her style in public and in dealing with journals like you?
Speaker 4: Damon Dan was dismissive of the press corps, dismissive of the major newspapers in Victoria, and he made a decision that he didn't need the mainstream media, and history would show that he may have been right. He won three elections, and two of those elections he won whilst rebuffing the main networks radio, TV and print outlets in Melbourne.
Speaker 1: Seriously, seriously, you can all shout over each other, and what wonderful viewing that must make at home.
Speaker 5: I've never walked away from one of these.
Speaker 2: I won't today some of them.
Speaker 4: She hasn't been as successful as that because she doesn't have the communication skills. Dan, for all his ruthless political faults and the fact that his agenda has essentially sent Victoria into near bankruptcy. He could do one thing and that was connect to Victorians. He could bypass the media. Victorians rewarded him for that. Jacinta Allen has been unable to do that. She has been bowled down by a corruption scandal linked to the CFMU and the Big build.
Speaker 2: For the last two years.
Speaker 4: Gangland figures and other crooks have ripped off billions of dollars from the taxpayer, of course, and this is one of those scandals that's been running for two years, broke in the media, and she's been unable to deal with it. Now. The reason, the big question is why didn't she call a Royal commission? And I think the answer is pretty straightforward. It's because she was the responsible minister for pretty much everything that the Royal.
Speaker 2: Commission would look into.
Speaker 4: It would reveal when she was warned what she knew about the CFMU corruption and the other BIKEI linked corruption.
Speaker 2: Why didn't she act? These are the things that will.
Speaker 4: Emerge email chains, text messages. So I think she's essentially only had one option in her own mind, and that is to try and ride it out Dan Andrew's style. She doesn't possess the political smarts the communication skills to do that.
Speaker 2: So this has really dragged her down.
Speaker 4: And the important thing to remember here is that Jacinta Allen was essentially Dan Andrews chief operating officer, holding all those ministries that were at the heart of his agenda. The comm Games, the suburban railroop, the big build, the public transport Infrastructure Minister was I think the official title, of course, Depputy Premier. By holding all those portfolios, Jacinta Allen was Daniel Andrews chief operating officer, and I think when you look at it like that, it goes some way to explaining why she was felt unable to call a Royal Commission into her very own inaction whilst implementing her boss's agenda.
Speaker 5: No, that's welcome hosts.
Speaker 1: The decision not to hold the Commonwealth Games, which of course are now happening in Glasgow, and we're seeing, right young Australians having medals hung around their necks and lots of joy. It does make you wonder how much more fun would this be if it was actually happening in Melbourne. It felt, from the outside damon a little bit symptomatic of what was going on the bigger picture in Victoria, this state which has successfully won all the big events from all the other states, you know, which is the home of big sporting events, big fear to spectaculars, big art gallery shows, couldn't do the Commonwealth Games, you know, because it seemed to be in a bit of a malaise. Was that your interpretation? How did ordinary Victorian see that?
Speaker 4: Look? The failed attempt to host the Commonwealth Games was a catastrophic blunder by the ANDREWS.
Speaker 2: Allen administration. Yes, and of course I am sorry.
Speaker 5: I'm sure those athletes and I've met as I've said, I've spoken to them.
Speaker 4: You said you were sorry, But it kind of got lost there with.
Speaker 5: In my answer and what are you sorry for? What are you sorry for?
Speaker 3: Them?
Speaker 5: I was in terms of the response to the question.
Speaker 4: It was conceived for political purposes to try and win the twenty twenty sixth election. The games will meant had we held them, would have.
Speaker 2: Been in March. I believe this year the elections in November.
Speaker 4: The time frame to actually build the infrastructure, the budget to build that infrastructure across regional Victoria was always unachievable. There wasn't enough money there wasn't enough time, but Andrews didn't care about that. He knew that it would help him win the election, so he pushed ahead, such as the sort of crash or crashed through nature of his politics and c Cinda Allen has to wear responsibility for this. She was the implementation Minister, and I think it's certainly I think fitting that while she's facing her political demise, potentially young athletes are doing great things for Australia overseas. You know, there's a certain kind of karma about that.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: Coming up is One Nation's Orange wave coming for Victoria. How much credit do you think One Nation and Jess Hill, the Victorian opposition leader, can take for the troubles that Jaintera Allen's been facing.
Speaker 4: Look, I think one of the benefits that Dan Andrews had that Justinta Allen doesn't have at the moment is a dispirited and appalling Liberal Party. So Dan Andrews benefited from the fact that the Victorian Liberal Party was going through its own crisis for much of his leadership.
Speaker 2: They couldn't unite.
Speaker 4: The Victorian Liberal Party could not unite and present a acceptable alternative to Dan Andrews in twenty eighteen or twenty twenty two turned on itself, was full of infighting.
Speaker 2: And Andrews cleverly maximized this.
Speaker 4: However, Jess Wilson was appointed as leader and since then she's.
Speaker 2: Done a pretty good job.
Speaker 3: We have no confidence in this Labor government and we invite now Labor MPs to join with us to vote for that no confidence motion and bring on an early election here in Victoria.
Speaker 4: She's out there talking about issues that matter. The Victorian Liberal Party, notwithstanding the most recent issue with Moiret Deeming, has largely stopped talking about itself and is talking about potholes. It's talking about the law and order crisis, the machete crisis, some of the things that Allen has had, you know, a thousand and thirty four days to deal with and has failed to.
Speaker 2: So the Liberal.
Speaker 4: Party is now presented as a acceptable alternative government and that is coming through in the polling which The Australian published the most recent news poll on Monday afternoon, which showed that as it stands, Jess Wilson is likely to, albeit with a narrow majority, be the potential next premiere of Victoria's so Cinda Allen hasn't had the benefit of a disunited, disaffected Liberal.
Speaker 2: Party at war with itself. Dan Andrews did, what about.
Speaker 1: One Nation, damon? Is it similar to New South Wales where One Nation is now really the major threat to the Labor government as perceived by Premier Chrismans at least.
Speaker 4: So the hard numbers in the Australian's News poll on Monday showed the One Nation primary vote at nineteen percent. That is a much flatter result than the national one Nation polls have shown. You know, Victorians historically haven't embraced paul En Hanson politics and News polls suggests that One Nation still has a fair amount of work now. That said, they've still got nineteen percent of the primary vote, which wouldn't have been foreseen this far out from the twenty twenty two election, so they are likely on those numbers, they're likely to win Upper House representation. It's unclear how many Lie House seats they would win, but I think this poll released on Monday suggests that One Nation's got a lot of work to do before it can hope to really be an influential player in Victorian politics.
Speaker 1: And what's his take on Ben Carroll?
Speaker 4: Ben Carroll's a the right, so he's more in line with John Brumby and Steve Brax when it comes to his politics what he stands for. So I think what you'll find is Carol will adopt those philosophies of.
Speaker 2: The labor right.
Speaker 4: He'd be a much more prudent financial manager. Now, whether he can do anything with the massive debt that Andrews and Allen may leave him should he get the job is another question. But philosophically he will run a much more prudent budget, and I think he will be less focused on social policy, and he will fill more potholes, probably put more machete wielding kids in jail, and do the things that you know state government should be doing.
Speaker 2: He'll have one hundred and.
Speaker 4: Twenty four days to save labor or at least save the furniture. So sure he will get his photo on the Wall of Honor when it comes to premiers, which is at one treasury place of all the premiers. But he would be a risk of becoming a trivial pursuit question or a quiz nite question.
Speaker 2: At a pub.
Speaker 1: You know, Oh what a fate.
Speaker 4: Victoria's shortest serving premier, However, at the moment, based on the numbers released on Monday, Jacindra Allen is leading labor over the cliff. So it may be that there's enough of his colleagues that are willing to take and he is willing to take.
Speaker 2: He's made it clear he's willing to take that chance.
Speaker 4: I think what he'll do if he gets the job at his first press conference is call a Royal commission into the big build. I think he may pause the suburban rail loop and redirect money towards the Airport rail link. And then I think he'll do some really basic things. He'll tighten law and order, he'll fill potholes and deal with the things that Victorians don't like about the Allen government.
Speaker 1: Well, the wild ride continues. Damon, thank you very much for taking the time. I know it's incredibly busy.
Speaker 2: Thank you, it's a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Damon Johnston is The Australian's Victorian editor. We'll be covering all the developments live at the Australian dot com dot au