Speaker 1: Welcome to the podcast. This particular little episode, we're going to focus on true crime.
Speaker 2: Joe.
Speaker 1: It's because there's a lot of people in our team who are.
Speaker 3: Obsessed with it a little too much, so so so much so scares the shit out of them, yet they continue to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so strange when Abby turns up to work and she's literally got knives and she's like, oh, no, sorry about that. I was just I was just listening to a true crime podcast. I don't mind this, and like while they're come to blood, She's like, that'd be silly.
Speaker 3: You actually were walking around with a knife the other day.
Speaker 2: I actually was because I had to make banana bread. She'd say, sorry for sleeping through my alarm and missing my entire shift the other week. So I bought or I baked the banana bread, and then I had to go and get a knife to obviously.
Speaker 4: Cut it up.
Speaker 1: To give you all.
Speaker 3: You stopped to have a conversation with a few people when it was very disconcerned.
Speaker 1: And she stripped off, start dancing and put on Instagram Britney spears.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, channeling Britney Spears, just like a you better work.
Speaker 5: Bitch, Swiss.
Speaker 1: It's true crime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk true crime. So we were talking about this the other week, and essentially, you know, what's your big true crime story, the one that you sort of still can't get out of your hat. Mine definitely was the Golden State Killer story. So this guy essentially all through California, he was the Versalia ransacker, he was the Golden State Killer.
Speaker 5: He had all these different names.
Speaker 2: He committed over a hundreds of crimes, right, So he would go and he'd ransack homes and then he'd stalk people, and then eventually got to the point where he was killing people as well, and they could not find him, and all these searches and everything. Obviously, back in the seventies or whatever, you didn't have all the things that you have now, like DNA and all of that. Anyway, fast forward literally thirty forty years later, and they nab the Golden State Killer from DNA. They find a DNA sample, and they also use genealogy results as well, so you go on and you look and see, you know, who's in your family and all of that sort of thing. Anyway, but there's a piece of audio and I think I think it's because of this audio. I don't think I slept without a light on for about four weeks, right, so take a listen.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: So basically what he did was he started stalking people, so he would watch people and see what their routine was like, So, oh, yeah, you live with your husband, but he leaves to work at six o'clock in the morning, You're home with your kid for a few hours, and then you go here blah blah blah. And then he would call them and just terrorize them essentially, and also after he committed a crime, so so he go to the house, he would tie them up, he would sexually assault them, all that sort of thing. Sometimes at the start he let them live, but then obviously it progressed. He killed them, but then he would like terrorize them afterwards, so he'd called them afterwards and do prank calls like that for months afterwards. The most it's the most fascinating and terrifying crime I think I've ever watched. And there was also a documentary. So there's a guy called Patty Oswald. He is a actor. His wife got asked to do a piece for a newspaper about the case, so she got all the police files obviously there's all the crime scene photos all of that. She ended up actually dying from heart issues because she was doing she was so invested in this piece and it just essentially in the end, it killed her. But they put out she put out this article and then they did I'll be gone in the dark, which is what he used to say to people, and they did this big documentary. I'm pretty sure it was Binge, and it is just terrifying. It is just terrifying the stuff that he did to these people. But then obviously, forty years later got nabbed and now he's in jail right as a seventy something year old man.
Speaker 4: So how many people did he actually kill?
Speaker 2: I think it was like ten in the end, but there was hundreds and hundreds of burglaries.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, my question is, though, if he breaks in and he assaults them and he terrorizes them, how come the police couldn't catch him.
Speaker 2: So he used to wear a ski mask number one, number two though they didn't have mobile phones even back then. So he would go and he would use like a bike or run off or whatever and go to a car that was waiting. Essentially, but they were saying in this documentary how they just didn't have that. It's not like today where you know, someone sees something or their CCTV or whatever, he'd go running into like a swamp. But he was married the whole time, and his wife said that she like, he'd say he's out fishing or he was at work or whatever. Yeah, but as they're nailing it down and it goes on, well, she's an idiot. As they're nailing it down to who it is, they essentially find out that he was a cop and he got let go from the force because he got done for shoplifting and he shoplifted spray that deters dogs, so dog repellent.
Speaker 5: And he got let go.
Speaker 2: So as they're dwindling down, they find you know, okay, this is like the people from the genealogy site. This is the people who were living in this space at the time, and blah blah blah, and they're going down. But yeah, he was a cop, so he knew to wear gloves and you know, have something over his face and things like that. And yeah, they didn't have DNA, they didn't have fingerprints, and it took them this long to be able to find out who had done it.
Speaker 5: Wow, what do you do.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I'll go home and watch morning Wars and just feel happy about my life, like.
Speaker 5: I know I need to.
Speaker 1: This is aggressive too, even Wars mornings.
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 3: You know what's so fascinating. You want to talk about true crime. That's true media, that's true TV. Oh my god. I can sit there and go, Wow, that's my life. That's a true crime in itself.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the full from the full of the House of Usher that's on Netflix at the moment, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 5: I had nightmares.
Speaker 2: I Mum literally was pissing herself laughing because I said I wanted the hallway light left on, and Dad's, oh, for God's sakes, have you go to bed and turns it off for Mum came down and went, you.
Speaker 5: Want the whole word light on? And I was like yes, and she left it on for me.
Speaker 3: Terrified together, So I didn't realize it, I newsreader was fifteen.
Speaker 5: I literally am I have traveled back in time.
Speaker 1: Criminology is unbelievably fascinating, and also genealogy, which you're talking about before, which of course is the study of genies. It's like, how do they get in the bottle? How is such a big Genie get in the bottle?
Speaker 5: How do they grant all your wishes?
Speaker 1: How do they grant ale the wishes? How do they have such magic?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 1: And also your favorite Jenney of all time, it's got to be Robert Williams.
Speaker 3: And I've never seen a Jennie wearing a balaclava and gloves well, carrying rope around of you, crazy.
Speaker 1: Isn't it?
Speaker 5: Anyway?
Speaker 2: I highly recommend Golden State Killer. Yeah, it's a wild story, but it will freak you out and you will be sleeping with your dogs in your bed with the light on back in your childhood home.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, that good stuff, all right? From one messed up human to another. Let's go from Newsrey to Abby to producer Emily, who's also into torturing herself criminology.
Speaker 6: I am, guys, And the story that Abby was just talking about I listened to while I was living with Mum and dad on the farm while we were building our house.
Speaker 3: And also do people adults do we all live with our parents?
Speaker 4: Oh this is years ago and on the farm too, in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 6: And so there's also a case File which is a great true crime podcast, which I think was a five part series, and I was listening to that when we were living there, and one of the things they were talking about is with the Golden State Killer. When he would go to some people's houses, he would go through like the back patio door, and back in the seventies, people just left it open, left it unlocked. And so one of them, one of the women who was attacked but obviously didn't get murdered, she spoke about how her little she had like a little dog that was going nuts in the middle of the night, barking, and she gets up and goes to see what's going on and turns the light on, and on the outside of the door, which she had no curtains or anything, is just the Golden State Killer standing there with the ski mask on and had ropen stuff in his hands, and she just absolutely freaked out. And so then when I'm on the farm and we've got six dogs living there and they've got to go out to the toilet in the middle of the night, you don't think that I turned seventeen lights on before I had to go open the patio door. Anyway, So that story has affected me. And I also didn't sleep a lot, and that was back when I was doing Breakfast Radio two, so not good times.
Speaker 1: So what was the what's the horror movie with the ski the hockey mask? Friday? Third time? That's Freddy Freddy, Freddy Kreeby. Yeah, it's about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Anyway, my story that I want to tell you about I heard on another podcast called My Favorite Murder and the good thing about My Favorite Murder feeling less and less comfortable about working with these people. The good thing about that podcast is they're doing how we're doing it now and they just discuss a murder. And this was one of the earlier ones they did. So it's set in California in the seventies. A man named Lawrence Singleton is driving along one of the highways.
Speaker 1: Never trust a Lawry. Never. Your first name is Lawrence.
Speaker 6: FuG And he picked up a fifteen year old hitch hiker. And so her name is Mary Vincent. So they're in California. Her family lived in Las Vegas. She ran away because their parents were getting divorced. She had friends in California wanted to get away, but then she figured out, I'm home sick, I want to go home. And in the seventies, one of the things they did was hitchhiked, and thank goodness, well, hopefully people aren't doing that anymore, because that's the start of so many true crime stories. She is walking along the side of the highway and he pulls. He pulls up in his van and there's two hitch hikers behind her, and he goes, nup, sorry, I've only got room for one in the van, and the hitch hikers say to her, don't go in there, like the the van is empty, so he's got plenty of room, and she's like, I'm just so tired. I just want to go home.
Speaker 4: I just want to get home somehow, and she gets him was.
Speaker 1: There also the promise of candy in the van?
Speaker 3: Also, you're going home. It's just an ethereal home up in the sky.
Speaker 4: And the thing is that conventional home.
Speaker 6: Laurence Singleton was in his fifties and by all reports, had a bit of pot belly, just looked like a grandfather, so she probably thought he's harmless whatever. So she needs to go to Vegas. He said, I'm going to Reno, which is in Nevada, but it's in a completely different direction. But he goes, that's fine, I'll take you to Vegas and.
Speaker 1: Then all of a sudden, she was like a shot a man and reno.
Speaker 3: Sorry, if we're not taking your podcast, guys, you're going to learn something today, Okay.
Speaker 6: Anyway, so he said, I'll take you, and so then she sitting in the front seat and dozes off. She's super tired, she's been hitchhiking for ages. And then she wakes up and she realizes that they're going in the completely wrong direction to where they need to go.
Speaker 3: She's not playing Dolphin Treasure at a casino in Las Vegas, not yet, not.
Speaker 6: Yet, maybe not at all. So she freaks out and can fronts him and goes, what the hell are you doing? We're going the wrong way, like she knows where they need to go, and he goes, I'm so sorry. I'm an honest man, I've made an honest mistake. I've obviously taking the wrong turn. Like we'll get back on the on the right direction. So he pulls over. He's like, I just need to go the toilet before we like head off, and she gets really nervous and she's just sitting in the front seat and she looks down and her shoelaces untired, and she kind of thinks to herself. All right, if this guy tries to do anything to me, I might need to run, So I need to do my shoelace up. So she opens the van, she steps out and puts her foot up on the side to do her shoot up, and then she blacks out. He's hit her over the head with a sledgehammer.
Speaker 1: Wow, like over the back of the head.
Speaker 4: You're not going to be laughing in a second. So that's what's really.
Speaker 1: Bad, see, And all of a sudden she was out.
Speaker 6: So he ties her up in the back of the van and then he spends the rest of the night into the morning sexually assaulting it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I feel bad, Yes.
Speaker 3: You should.
Speaker 6: So the whole time she's pleading with him to stop, he keeps going and keeps going. She just says, I just want to be set free, and then he goes, all right, no worries. If you want me to set you free, I'll set you free. So get out of the get out of the van, and he unties her, and he said, all right, I'll set you free. And so then he grabs a hatchet out of the back of the van and then he cuts her left arm off below the elbow.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, she did not see that coming.
Speaker 6: No, that, So then she's freaking out, just obviously screaming, going freaking out by this point, yep, Jesus. Then she grabs him with her right arm, so she's holding onto his arm, the good arm, the one that she has left, and she's in shock, totally confused, and so then he takes the hatchet and then starts hacking off the right arms and then she falls backwards and she's kind of confused, she's in shock whatever, and she doesn't.
Speaker 1: Realize can't break your full.
Speaker 6: That's when she realizes that her right arm has been chopped off. But she's looking around. She's got no idea what's going on. She's got blood everywhere. She sees him flicking his arm around, and she doesn't know why he's flicking his arm around, but it's because her right hand had been clawed onto his arm and he's he's flicking it off, trying to get her arm off, so it's not attached to her anymore, but it's attached to him. So then she passes out and he thinks, right, she's gonna die, she's gonna bleed out.
Speaker 4: We're all good.
Speaker 6: So then he throws her off the side of a cliff thirty foot cliff drives off yep, he thinks he's all on the cliff and the.
Speaker 1: Arm's still attached to the ute like the T one thousand terminator too.
Speaker 4: So she's passed out.
Speaker 6: She's broken four ribs as she's fallen down and her she's bleeding profusely. So she comes to, she puts her stumps into She's alive, still is.
Speaker 2: She?
Speaker 3: You're getting mad at us and taking the piss, but honestly.
Speaker 1: So let's just freak out. She's got no arm, she's got broken.
Speaker 4: Ribs and completely naked.
Speaker 1: And she's completely naked.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she's thrown her down the cliff. She she uses her stumps and puts them in the dirt to stop the bleeding.
Speaker 1: Hell of the day.
Speaker 6: She then climbs up the thirty foot ravine up, looked up the cliff and get.
Speaker 1: Climb up.
Speaker 4: Okay, I will I'll tell you the spoiler.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: The reason I know that this happened is because she tells this story on a TV show called Ice Bullshit.
Speaker 4: I'm calling bullshit.
Speaker 6: So she gets back up onto the highway and is stumbling down the highway took her all day to climb back up there with their stumps. She's it's now nighttime, stumbling along the highway, trying to find someone to save her. Two guys stop in a convertible. They see her, and they speed off because they're like, what the hell is going on?
Speaker 4: And also how.
Speaker 3: Did they know to stop because she didn't have an arm and a thumb to put out to hitch hike drives.
Speaker 1: I think she was trying to singles down. It's like she was.
Speaker 6: Making Another car drives past and it is a couple on their honeymoon.
Speaker 4: Is this story not over yet?
Speaker 1: I think you're making this about we go it line.
Speaker 4: It is not right.
Speaker 6: A couple come past, get her in the car, get at a hospital. She is able to give the police sketch artist the perfect description of him, so when they released the photo kit, his neighbor, Laurence Singleton's neighbor calls the police and goes, that is my neighbor.
Speaker 4: He was arrestedly. Didn't sketch the drawing herself.
Speaker 1: So she described the sketch artist. She didn't sketching with her.
Speaker 4: So he was arrested.
Speaker 6: Nine days later, he blames someone else and said that she was a ten dollar sex worker. Yeah, I won't use the word that he used. She testifies against him in court. She has now has prosthetic limbs. He's convicted of kidnapping, Mayhem, attempted murder, forcible rap, sodomy, and forced oral copulation. Gets fourteen years, which is the maximum sentence. He's out in.
Speaker 1: Eight Oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: So they tried to release him to back to California, where he was from, and they also tried to release him to Florida as well. In all the cities that they tried to release him to, everyone protested and rallied against it. The mayor said, no, not going to happen. So eventually I think there is about seven or eight different cities that they tried to release him to. He had to be released to a trailer on the grounds of San Quentin Prison where he had to just live out his one year of parole. But after that free to go on the community.
Speaker 3: What so many dots that can't be joined.
Speaker 1: That's America for you, though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one of the things.
Speaker 6: So after she testified in court, she wore past him and he said to her, if it's the last thing I do, I'll kill you. So she's she's had it, Like you said, she's had a rough day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but she's like you had a read click glass luck.
Speaker 6: So eventually, after his release, he goes back to Florida and he's off the radar until nineteen ninety seven until his neighbor calls the police. But the neighbor sees him attacking a woman in his house, so he the police arrive, open the door. He's standing there carven in blood because he has killed another woman, a mother of three, and he stabbed her twelve times in the face and chest. So then he was finally put back in jail and sentenced to death, but he died of cancer in prison a few years later. That's it, So yeah. Mary Vincent tells this story to the camera on a TV show from the US called I Survived Wow. Prosthetic Limson all, well, now you're gonna have a joke. Now do you know that she lives?
Speaker 4: And go, ah wow, a.
Speaker 1: Bit of an insight into the messed up minds of the Nova Namen nineteen Ah if you like that story gives the thumbs up