Speaker 1: Oh, hey there, I hope you are feeling healthy ish. Yes, you have joined us on the daily podcast from Body and Soul called healthy Ish, but you knew that already, right. I am Felicity Harley, and as this episode drops on a Friday, I am joined via our online studio today by Body and Soul's digital editor Holly Berkleman, and we are chatting through the three stories that made us guzzle loud Green Juices this week. Holley, has it been a week already?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: That was a minute.
Speaker 2: They go by so quickly, don't they.
Speaker 1: Here we are again? How are you?
Speaker 3: I am so well, thank you. I was just saying before that I've been going to bed incredibly early at the moment, and I actually feel too well rested, and it's something I've.
Speaker 2: Never experienced in my life frankly, but kind.
Speaker 3: Of loving it. Wow.
Speaker 2: This is what a collc to have a full.
Speaker 1: Time I feel like you've been on here before talking about how you don't go to bed till like twelve and one, So this is quite revolutionary for you.
Speaker 3: It is a rollercoaster for the listeners and for myself that I've actually gone to bed at it a normal time. So yeah, stay tuned to see how long I keep that up for. And how are you fleep? Are you feeling better?
Speaker 1: I am. I feel like I'm almost back to good health, and I know I always know it's a sign when I actually feel like doing exercise and I'm going a bit. I haven't actually run in two weeks, Holly, I hope no one like my Nike coach isn't listening to this. But I haven't done a run and the half marathon is only about seven weeks away, so I have to get out there. And yeah, just get back out there and run.
Speaker 3: Well, you're back in the land of the living now, so you can venture out soon hopefully.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, thank you. Now tell us what story on body and soul this week was perhaps the most intriguing to.
Speaker 2: You, soorry.
Speaker 3: The one that caught my attention the most is should you really be doing pilates? You're a polities fan?
Speaker 1: If, Liz, I am not?
Speaker 2: Oh really is controversial from I really?
Speaker 3: Which makes us the outliers for this industry, I would say, But as we know, polines is one of the most popular ways.
Speaker 2: To work out.
Speaker 3: There are so many fans and people love it because it improves your strength your flexibility, your posture, and so on. But there is a downside because a lot of these studios are kind of a one size fits all approach, especially if you're in big classes, and they're primarily to encourage people to partake in community and to get out of their houses and to start exercising, which obviously is great because that's you know, one of the biggest barriers to health is actually getting out and doing it.
Speaker 2: But there are a lot of instructors who have nothing.
Speaker 3: More than the basic kind of qualifications to their name, and the teaching classes that don't offer a huge amount of personalization, which can be an issue.
Speaker 2: So there are two downsides.
Speaker 3: Instead of really tailored programs that are right for your body, you're grouped in with people in quite an overstimulating environment, like I've done Pilarates classes before, where the music is really loud and it's really hectic and full on, and so if you're trying to get those proper results which come from alignment and kind of precision, you might not have the ability to kind of tap into that and do it properly. And then the second thing is if you have existing injuries, that sort of environment doesn't allow you a lot of the time to kind of slow down and tweak what you're doing so you can kind of overdo it and not not knowing your body's limitations. So do you need to cancel your next pilities class? Not necessarily, but experts say that you should do your due diligence and research the setting and figure out if it's right for you, especially if you're a beginner. So this is music to my ears, obviously, because as a non Polites person, I'm not perfect.
Speaker 2: I don't need to go.
Speaker 3: But for those who are Polartes fans, it's maybe worth doing a bit of research.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought this story to well the Table today because we actually have an expert on next week talking about this. And obviously I think we talked about this maybe before six months or so ago, because there was a bit of a call to action from various instructors around Australia that there needs to be some regulatory body to govern what's going on, because you can just go and get a Plartes Instructors course quite swiftly compared to other fitness instructors around. So we do have someone coming on next week to talk about this more so, Yeah, thanks for giving me the chance to plug that episode next week. Listens and listen is just let you know. This is actually serendipitous, the fact that Holly brought this story to the table and that I have scheduled next week someone to chat about this, So thank you.
Speaker 2: I think that just proves that we're both clued in with the news cycle. Flish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big tick to both, which you would hope.
Speaker 2: So yeah, okay, over to you. What on your mind this week?
Speaker 1: Well, I came across this thing called a daily Dopamine Menu. Have you heard of this? Oh?
Speaker 2: I haven't really?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I mean I love cutesy, quirky stuff like this. We've had the dopamine dressing and many people still dress like this. We've had the dopamine decor, we've got the dopamine supplements. But the daily Dopamine Menu is something that's free and easy and we can all do. And it was designed by a UK neuroscientist and author, Nicole Vignola, and she came up with the idea to counteract the amount of time we spend staring at our screens and the pool that TikTok and Instagram have on us when we just are needing that downtime, and we just pick up our phone and doom scroll and all of a sudden, there goes thirty minutes.
Speaker 2: She said, had to have a TikTok hole exactly.
Speaker 1: We've all been there, she says, have your daily do menu ready and waiting. So when you do reach for the screen, pop it up. Preferably not on your screen. You can write it out or print it out and put it on your fridge or in your bedroom or bathroom. Basically, I mean, we all know what dop mean is it's the neurotransmitter made in the brain, the feel good hormone that's part of the body's reward system. It's what gets hyped up when we are after things that are fun and rewarding. You know, there's small things like food or social media hits, but it's also the one that drives us to take bigger risks where whether it is at work or take on challenges like a half marathon. So this whole idea of the menu is basically like a menu, you have a starter's main course, sides, dessert, and specials, and it's just putting little things in there that give you a personal dope, mean hit that you know that you can do instead of reaching for the phone. So the starters, she says, quick activities you enjoy that will give you that little dope mean hit, like stretching coffee which yes, tick loves, yes me, finally putting the washing away or so love. And then the main course are more challenging and rewarding activities like you know, striving for a half marathon. I'm just using this example because it rings true for me. Sides of those dope meine releasing activities that you engage with while completing a separate task, for example, following the washing while listening to your favorite podcast. Okay, dessert is using social media, but more as a treat, so not letting it dominate your day, not spending thirty minutes on TikTok. And then the specials and little dope mean hits like getting in nails done and eating out. You know those fun things that you think, oh, I feel good after doing that. So this is just her idea to get us away from the screens. If we feel that pool of social media, refer to your dope mean menu and yeah, and then you're getting that pure, joyful, dope mean hit rather than filling crap after scrolling thirty minutes on TikTok.
Speaker 3: I love this and it's kind of yeah, you're right. It's that pure dope mein that you get without it being marred by the bad sides of social media. So it sounds like something you should write out and step up on your fridge or even stick off the back of your phone.
Speaker 1: Oh I like that. That's a good idea.
Speaker 2: You got it on hand at all times.
Speaker 1: Okay, I will check your phone next time we're in the studio. Now, just quickly before we go, give us a quick rundown of the most clicked story of the week.
Speaker 3: So a really joyful way to cap on this week's episode is these are the top ten causes of death around the world. But as they say, knowledge is power. You know, it's good to know these things because then you can do what you can to avoid them. So this is recently published data from the World Health Organization that lists the leading causes of death throughout the year twenty twenty one. So it's a few years ago now, but the data has just come out, and these ten causes of death accounted for fifty seven percent of the total deaths around the world. That year, which was sixty eight million deaths.
Speaker 2: It's a lot.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of double dye a.
Speaker 2: Lot of people. Have you got any idea of what they could be?
Speaker 1: Okay, what year will we twenty twenty one? I mean you'd have to say covids up there, but I'm not sure of number one.
Speaker 3: COVID was number two, Number one was ischemic heart disease, and number three was stroke. But there are a couple of other ones on the list which surprised me, things like trakier broncos and lung cancers and kidney disease. So those are cut shocking ones. And if you want to read the rest of the list, we have them all on body soobeign come dot.
Speaker 1: I like it, Well, I don't. I like what you're saying. Not I don't like the death list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hate to hear it, but it's good to know exactly.
Speaker 1: Long live that healthy heart. See you next week.
Speaker 2: I'll see you then Bye.
Speaker 1: If you did enjoy this chat, we have more. Yes, make sure you're listening to our big sister podcasts called Extra Healthy Ish. We drop a new episode of that every Monday to Thursday. For more info, head to Bodyansoul dot com dot au. You can tell us what you thought of this episode or any episodes it. Just leave us a review. You can rate this podcast and of course you can subscribe and remember we are across social media as well. Thanks again for tuning in and until tomorrow, stay healthy,