Speaker 1: My brother is fifty five and can roll down from a standing position into a backbend, and he can keep his heels on the floor. He can hold a handstand indefinitely, and he is so close to being able to do the full splits. He also happens to be an ayanga yoga instructor. But the amazing thing is he didn't start any of this until he was well into his thirties. Prior to that, he was a regular joe, stiff like the rest of us. But he just found such a joy after taking up yoga for stress management that he actually ended up making a career out of it.
Speaker 2: Then you have me.
Speaker 1: His sister similar genetics ten years is junior. And while he was finding his zen in yoga, I was finding mine in marathon running. You know. He used to drag by plank of a wood for a body into his classes and I was just terrible. And I always prom when this racing season is over, I'll spend more time stretching.
Speaker 2: But that day kind of has never really come.
Speaker 1: So here I am forty something, still stiff as a plank, and I'm wondering if maybe I.
Speaker 2: Have left it too late. This is helping her with Amelia Phillips.
Speaker 1: Are you like me, always seeming to put off the stretching, the mobility, or the prehabits it's sometimes referred to.
Speaker 2: Or have you seen the light? Have you felt the joy of a loose body? Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Good joint mobility becomes crucial as we age, not just for joint health, but for balance, for stability, pain management, and.
Speaker 2: Overall quality of life.
Speaker 1: So I have bought in the big guns today to help us get motivated. Okay, maybe selfishly, help me get motivated to do more mobility and give us the best strategies for supple healthy joints. Dan O'Sullivan or hands Dan, as you might know him on his Instagram account, which happens to have over half a million followers, specializes in mobility for over forty year olds. He runs online programs and has a popular YouTube channel with really really awesome mobility workouts for us all to try. So, Dan, thank you so much for joining us today on.
Speaker 3: Healthy her Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Well, firstly, is it ever too late to start working on our mobility?
Speaker 3: Well, it's a great story about your brother. I actually only got into this probably on my twenty ninth heading into my thirtieth year, and that was down to too many injuries and needing to fill a void of no longer being able to play a high level of sport. So it was kind of like, all right, I got to fill this like eagerness of five hours training every day for the previous twenty years. For me, it was the question of like, why is somebody else who has the same body structure as me potentially not getting the same level of interues as me? And obviously now you know ten years later, what's really evident is that it comes just down to your movement capacity, and you hit the nail on the head there, like having good joints is just crucial for everything. So can you get it as we age or is it ever late to start? Well? Not starting is probably the worst thing you can do, because it's like any form of movement. I guess the difference is the focus of what you are actually doing. If I'm focusing and putting a lot of intent behind my movements, potentially at the start I have to put maybe a bit too much focus because maybe things aren't happening as naturally as they should. But you want to get to a certain point where you have better global movements right, like things just happen naturally, And so I guess the biggest block for most people is actually putting their hand up and appreciating what their starting point is and not always resonating on what I could have done fifteen years ago, but appreciating that that's there and that would potentially come back quite quickly because you have a lot of muscle memory. But actually it's been like, Okay, this is where I'm at today, and this is the length of time that I can actually invest into it. So this is the best way I'm going to do it.
Speaker 1: And in some ways, you know, in my forty starting now, I've become a lot more aware of my mortality in the sense that although I'm barely halfway through my life, that second half and setting up your second half of your life for being pain free and healthy has become in sharp focus for me. And so I might not ever be able to do the splits, and I'm not that interested in it. But what I am interested in is preventing the decline of my joint mobility. So even if I'm just trying to avoid it getting a lot worse for me, that's still seen as winning.
Speaker 2: I'm setting the bar Low Dan.
Speaker 3: That's what I mean. It's like the negative of social media at the moment is everybody compares themselves and we have to appreciate that everybody is a story. So if I'm training a kid have to become more flexible, I'm dealing with a clean shopboard. It hasn't been rubbed out a few times. It doesn't have excuses. It has a left and the right, not a good and a bad side. You know, we have to appreciate that as we age, we do have excuses, and we do have a bit of a story behind us, and we have to appreciate that. But once we understand that, and we're willing to kind of put a bit of a plan in place on how to move from this point, then generally speaking, it's like consistent steps are better than big leaps, right. So it's that's the kind of way I like to promote things, especially as we age, because if I look at you as an individual and then I say, okay, based on what I can see, this is where you best invest your time. Because the reality is it might necessarily be your biggest currency right now. You might have a little bit of an interest into it, but I want to make sure that there's a day doesn't come where you wish you had have put a bit of effort into this. And that's not to scare anybody, it's just to hit them with a smack of reality. Like you know, it's maintaining muscle as we age is harder. So what have we got to do. We've got to continue to strength train. Our body is very efficient or lazy, whichever way you want to look at it. So in the context of if I'm not using a particular area, my body says, well, I'm not replenishing those cells or I'm going to focus on that, because why would I. We don't do that. So if I don't put my hand up over my head, guess what I lose kind of the ability to be really good to put my arm up over my head. And so all I try to teach people is this is a human being, and you're a human being, and can you do X, Y and Z, which is kind of like the foundations of what a human being should be. So in the context of can you rotate your shoulders internally and externally? Can you rotate your hips internally and externally? If you can't, but what's the limitation that we're looking at. Is there an opportunity for us to give you some movements, not necessarily a big training regime, but actually just movements that you could potentially do throughout your day that just allows you to explore that range of motion. Right like you hit the nail on the head saying, do I want to achieve the front split? Not necessarily when you working towards the front split gives you something visually to look at, but you're also then going to improve your hip extension, your hip flexion, so you're going to get better overall movements, and then potentially you get this cool visual skill that everybody goes, oh my god, look at our party trick. So you know, whether you achieve it or not, you're still going to be working on the basics, which is what every performer does. Like you look at any search to solay performer, all these things, they don't do all the fancy, nancy things that you see in their performance. They're generally doing the basics and they're doing it really really well, which in any sport you would see most people actually spend most of their time.
Speaker 2: I want to.
Speaker 1: Touch on the basics and really explore those in a little while. But before we get down to the practical element, are you able to explain to us the difference between flexibility versus mobility?
Speaker 3: So this is like the bait that happens online, right, And I guess from my approach and my opinion, I try not to overcomplicate things. I'm irish. I'll like to keep it nice and simple. And I guess the way I look at things for most people is if we just look at everything as being on a continuum and we appreciate the joint as the main focus point. Well, then based off where we are on that continuum could dictate whether we want to layer strength there or whether we want to improve our range of motion there with strength. So in terms of flexibility mobility, to really make it quite simple, I would say, flexibility is your range of motion for me on my platform, Mobility is the ability to express that range motion. So very simply think about it like, if I want to improve my flexibility, I need to improve the range of motion on that joint. So if I can't touch my toes, I want to improve the range of motion so I can touch my toes. If I can touch my toes, do I have strength when I do it, and people who are heavily invested in the ooga space who potentially could layer more strength onto the range of motion that they possess. And a good visual to think about is if I sit down into a front split, did I have to use gravity to allow me to do that? If I look at like a ballet dancer or a martial artist who can stand there and literally lift one leg and nearly touch their nose with their knee, they have the strength to possess that range of motion, so they don't have to sit down with their body weight into a front split. And So what I'm more concerned about for people, especially as we age, is to have good capacity in our joints. Very simply, do you have the capacity to facilitate for everything that life throws at you, Because I want you to be able to continually make decisions in your life based off your interests, not on your ability to carry out those movements.
Speaker 1: So we've got many different types of joints in our body. We've got the ball and socket joints in our shoulders and our hips that really allow us to do these big global rotations. We've got hinge joints elbows, a great example of a hinge joint that kind of just moves, you know, in one plane. Our knees, our fingers and toes oral hinge joints, and we've got gliding joints such as our neck, our spine, our ankle, and wrist.
Speaker 2: Now I've heard you ask the.
Speaker 1: Question before, and I love this question. Are you training the way your joints are designed to move?
Speaker 2: Can you explain what you mean by that?
Speaker 3: So, as an adult, we are very time pore. So what we want to always try to do is maximize things like if I'm not somebody who enjoys going to the gym, as an example, I want you to make that as seamless as possible for me. So in terms of movement of your joints, I'll make it very very simple for people listening. For every joint in the body, if we focus on rotation as the primary focus, just in the context that's making us more mobile, the only caveat would be the spine. And I'll explain if we just focused on segmentation specifically through flexion and extension on the spine, that could literally drastically improve your life. So you said it earlier about the elbows and the knees being his joints. But there is also elements of rotation, and for a lot of people, what happens is this, And we'll take the lower body as an example. Your ankle obviously has a lot of rotation. You know, if you're listening to this, you can roll your ankle right sitting in a chair. It's very very simple. You can stand beside a door frame and potentially try to get some rotation through your hip by just bringing your knee up towards a chest and just trying to create some form of a circle. Right, But your knee doesn't. For a lot of people, they've probably never even thought that it actually does rotate. But what happens is this For a lot of people, if you think of all three those they want to structurally work together. And if your ankles are weak and unbalanced and your hips are stiff and don't really want to rotate, but unfortunately, your knee takes the brunt of that because it does have some form of rotation, but it's quite minimal because it is a hinge joint. And so what happens a lot of people is the end up with you know, eggs and pains, because all three are not working alongside each other. And so what I say to most people is, if we do think of your neck, and we do think of your shoulders, and we do think of your hips, we look at the big joint and we do focus on rotation and whether I'm controlling all aspects of that rotation, well, it's going to improve my overall movements. And then with the spine, the reason why I want you to focus on segmentation is because if you can imagine when you sit in a doctor's surgery or whatever, and you can see the skeleton over in the corner and you see all those vertebrae that are just kind of suspended to make up your spinal column. You know, if you were to go over and move it, it would move quite well, and it was you know, it's quite nearly like a slinky. Right. The problem is is most of us spend our days sitting, especially as we age, and if we haven't been exposed to kind of mobility based training. We're predominantly doing squats and deadlifts where we're very much educating our spine to be in a er braced position. It's not a bad thing, but it's one element of the movement of the spine. And so if all those facet joints are all sitting on top of each other and it's quite jammed, what actually happens is your body searches for the weak points because that's the only point that's going to move. So if you have three or four vertebrae stuck together, and then your movement comes from the weak point, which is going to be the top, and then depending on how low it is towards your hip, it's going to be on the bottom. And so what happens is you're not actually rotating through those areas. But if you focus on segmentation and creating space in between each vertebrae and actually educating the spine on how to you know, flex an extent, well, guess what, the rotation's going to get better anyway because you're creating more space.
Speaker 2: What do you mean by segmentation.
Speaker 3: I guess the best way that somebody could think about it would be like a cat kel. So if you go down onto your hands and knees, and then you really push your spine up like an angry and then you allow your hips to kind of tip out behind you and really try and extend your backs of going into more of that kale position. That would be a more of a global focus to spinal segmentation, which effectively means this, you're trying to get each vertebrate to move independent of itself.
Speaker 2: Not just those weaker or more mobile parts.
Speaker 1: So what you're saying is that for a lot of us, we will have these very locked and stiff parts in our spine, and we think we're doing some mobility work, but maybe we're actually just allowing those weaker or looser parts of our spine. And so by segmenting, you're trying to get into even those really locked up parts of our spine.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 3: It is? Indeed, Yeah, there is some contraptions. I use a specific contraption because it gives me like tactile feedback, so you know, obviously that comes with an investment. So I have other quirky ways of doing it which I can I can explain. One of the best ways to do it is if you put your back against the wall and you step your feet out, maybe about two feet so you can actually took your butt. That would allow you to put as more of your spine onto the wall. Flat back, yeah, like really really flat against the wall. Then I would get something like a tennis ball and I would stick it behind my neck, and then the challenges You want to took your chin towards your chest and you're trying to peel one vertebrate at a time off the wall. And what that would allow you to do if you do it right, is the tennis ball should just trickle down the wall nice and seamlessly. Whilst if you're doing it and you don't feel the tennis ball coming down nice and seamless, then potentially what's happening is maybe three or four vertebrae are coming off the wall at the same time, so you don't have that ability to actually move each vertebrae one at a time. And that's a really really good way. Anybody who does pilat is you do a lot of that kind of segmentation lying on a reformer as well. So it's just to kind of visualize what that would look like. Because as an adult, I would say the biggest challenge for people is if I've never done it before or I don't remember doing it, then unless you can give me a way to really experience it, it's going to be really hard for me to decipher that I might be able to see you do it, but I want to be able to do it myself. And that's something that I've really become good at. Is actually it's like, this is the way I do it, but if you can't do it that way, here's maybe three or four different versions so that you can experience what that feels like. Because once you experience it, then you can try and change back to the other variation and explore what you're trying to look for.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to get practical.
Speaker 1: I want to go through some of the common tight spots that me and my listeners are feeling at the moment. And obviously this is not a visual medium, so we're going to have to challenge you here, Dan to help us.
Speaker 2: But where do we.
Speaker 1: Start if we want to improve our mobility, we're feeling a bit stiff, maybe a bit a key.
Speaker 2: Where do we start here?
Speaker 3: You follow me on Instagram?
Speaker 1: Yes, and oh my gosh, your YouTube videos are.
Speaker 2: Fantastic, by the way, For a lot of us, the.
Speaker 1: Thought of doing this online is an appealing Don't you need to be hands on?
Speaker 2: How can you do it online?
Speaker 3: The way I like to look at it is it's simple but simple doesn't mean easy. Simple is put the blinkers on, stop downloading random videos, put a bit of structure behind what you're trying to do, and then just navigate. And you know what I say to most, because if you don't want to invest in your health, like, that's totally fine. I do appreciate life can be busy and there's a lot of things happening in life where our expenses are going elsewhere. So that's why we created the YouTube channel. We have some follow a lungs on there which are like, you know, twenty minutes, twenty five minutes, and you can just literally click play and follow along, and we pick exercises that I can be really clear and precise with to help you. But for those that are listening and potentially don't use YouTube, you know, we can still simplify lot of our things here. I mentioned earlier about let's just take the spine, the shoulders, and the hips as your main focal point. Obviously the neck as well. But what's interesting is when the shoulder blades move better and when the spine moves better, you're holding on to less tension. It can actually, you know, help to alleviate what you potentially are having in the neck anyway, We're just like a puppet on strings, and if something's out of whack, everything else is going to know. So in terms of the shoulders generally, the one that I like to give is, I guess, for the purpose of not being able to visually show you, what I would say is a good option is if you're sitting in a chair and you put your hands out like a tea position, so you just have your hands straight out, you know, as far as you can. And the idea here is you're trying to push your wrists as far away from you so you can nearly feel a bit more space in the shoulder.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, my biceps are tired. I'm doing this now.
Speaker 1: Got my arms stretched out to the side like I'm, you know, Jesus on the cross and my biceps a lock in.
Speaker 3: So stay in that position right now. We're going to do is I want you to challenge yourself. We're not gonna let our shoulders go near our ears. They're gonna stay pulled down away from our ears. And the challenge is this, We're gonna roll our shoulder. So think of like the top of my arm in my shoulder I'm gonna rotate it as much as I can forward without letting that shoulder hike.
Speaker 2: Up like I'm tipping.
Speaker 1: I'm holding two cups of a cup of coffee in each hand, and I'm tipping that coffee out as I'm rotating down.
Speaker 3: Yes, I like to think of as if I had a rag in my shoulder. It's like I'm trying to twist the rag as much as i can. Okay, twist.
Speaker 1: I hope all my beautiful listeners are sitting wherever they are, or they're stopped on their morning walk or run, and they're doing this exercise because it feels really good.
Speaker 3: Keep the shoulder one position, left shoulder. We're now going to do the opposite. So you're going to like you're trying to put your thumb back behind you, like you're trying to point behind you. Then keep pushing the risks away as much as you can, and then very slowly switch. So now my right shoulder is rotating behind me. Listeners can't see you. But the good picture, I say is, do you know that song walk like an Egyptian? Well, I want you to not do that. We want to move the shoulders, but we want to keep the body static because we're just trying to rotate the shoulders. You can feel that heat going into the shoulders, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had to just have a little bright then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I would generally say sixty seconds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a shoulder rotation and gosh, already just the short space that I did that in I can feel and see what we're doing there is we're moving that ball and socket joint in that rotation fashion, which is like you say, that's what the body's designed to.
Speaker 3: Do exactly, And what we actually are doing is one's going internally, the others going externally, and then we're switching. And what I always say is, don't be happy with the range of motion you have. Keep trying to explore is there more can I twist that rag out just a little bit more. It's like when you're twisting a rag and you know there's a little bit of water still in there, You're going to keep twisting that extra a little bit, try and get that last little dropout. That's what I want you to envisage. And in terms of the hips, we want to do something similar, but we have to appreciate that our hips, for a lot of us, they're a deeper socket, so your shoulder generally has more rotational access to it because it's a shallower socket. There is people who have shallow sockets and their hips, and they're generally the people who maybe are hypermobile or potentially you'll naturally see that they just have this great range of motion that they explore the caveat to. That is, sometimes with it being a shallow socket, they're more susceptible to potential injury. Now, in terms of the hip rotations, the way I want you to envisage this is you would stand up and you would bring yourself over to a door frame, because I don't want you to have to worry about the balance aspect. Let's say your left foot is going to stay on the floor, you would bring your right knee up towards your chest, so you're effectively balancing on one leg. Now, as you bring the right knee up as high as it can go, then what I want you to think about is you're trying to now keep it in the same height, but you're trying to allow that right knee to go out as if it was going to go behind you as soon as the body.
Speaker 2: Says drift it out to the side, so what we.
Speaker 3: Would call abduction, like you're getting taken away, and so when you can't go anymore and you could feel your glutes are screaming at you and potentially a bit of a lengthening on the inside of your leg, then what we want to do is try to search for that rotation that we did in the shoulders. So effectively, what you would do is think of your knee as tipping forward, so that dragging or that squeezing of the rag and your heel is actually going up and out behind you. And the beauty of that then is you are searching for whatever kind of rotation is there. So the knee would come up, it would go out to the side, and then we would search for what rotation is there as we're searching for that rotation. Be kind to yourself. It might rotate as much as you wanted to, but that's probably more of an evidence as to why you should probably do it more often. And then you just reverse what you've done, so you just bring it all the way back in, all the way back down, and then you repeat for a few times. In terms of the spine, I want you to think a bit like a deadlift or at least like an RDL for listeners, like a Romanian deadlift, which is where we keep the legs stiff, okay, And so what we would want to do there is stand up nice and tall, keep the legs nice and straight, and then visualize what I said earlier about standing against the wall with the tennis ball. So now the wall's not there, or it could be there if you need it. You could always do this against the wall. And then you want to try to peel that vertebrate. So it's like you took your chin and you're allowing the weight of your hands just to bring you down towards your toes, and then you would just reverse what you're doing. The thing here is it's different to the RDL and that we're not just focusing and hinging from our hips. We actually want to see how much of a rounded back I can create, how much do you feel like you're bellowing out through that back? And then you would just repeat, so the pace that you go down would be the same pace that you come back up. Because when you do put yourself into an exposed position i e. You're lengthening that tissue. If you're not used to that, you have to educate the body that it's okay. And that's where I would say slow and control wins the race on these Is.
Speaker 1: There an assessment or a way we can determine how healthy our mobility is or if we have any imbalance? Is is that something that you do with your clients where you run these assessments or is it more just based on feedback, based on I've got you know, I feel like my hips are tied or my.
Speaker 2: Back is tight.
Speaker 3: I like to see things visually because I believe that people can be hard on themselves. So you would be surprised that the people who think they move badly and then actually when you give them a little bit of an input into how to execute that movement, they actually surprise themselves. And that's why some of my videos on social media have gone you know, we're talking millions of views, because they do question that to you, and then it spurs you to test it and prove me wrong, and then actually it's the surprise of oh, that actually worked. And very simply if we appreciate movements as a skill, and it's like anything like you wouldn't dare try and lift three times your body weight in a dead lift without getting some cues or a strategy as to how you would approach that. Maybe you have to start lighter and then gradually get stronger. Right, It's the same with all kind of movement in our body. So what I want to see is I want to see you look like visually, and so anybody who works with me, we generally do very much like high end one on one because we believe people as the age need more than just a program. We also have like women's health specialists who work onside our platform as well, so it's very similar to what you do in that context because we believe people need more than just a program. But in terms of the way we do our mobility, it's very very simple. As I mentioned earlier, what we do is we look at you structurally and then we look at you dynamically. So I want to see how you hold yourself.
Speaker 1: This is online, so you would do say a zoom session or a video session with someone and you're literally watching them through the webcam.
Speaker 3: So what I would say is the main part of the program is how you progress, so we can still visually see your starting point. And then the difference between us and a physio or something is if physio will generally go through you, give you bands and then tell you to go and thry these things, and I might see you in two weeks time if you book back in. How we do things that's a little bit differently is because we say this is what I can see right now, this is the time that you said you can get in there, this is what I want you to do. We're now going to check in in seven days after you've thried that once, like one whole week of training. How did you feel? Did you need to change anything? Was there anything that was too easy? Okay? Cool? Now I'm going to challenge you to do two weeks of it and then I'll look back in. So to pull it back to how we assess what I would do, very simply is, first of all, I want to see what your feet are doing. So we ask questions like, do you wear orthotics? Do you have dead skin or hard skin on the outside of your toes? Why do I want to know that? Well, I want to see if you're actually extending through your toe as you walk. So for people who have a lot of dead skin on the outside of their toes, there's a high probability that maybe it's an inverted toe, maybe it's heading towards that second toe, so maybe they're not moving optimally. And then the benefit of that then is, like you know, number one is we don't want you to have bunions. We want you to have more dexterity in your toes, which is going to only enhance everything above it anyway. We then look at things like can you sit in a cross legged position, can you touch your toes? Can you sit on your heels? And then the segmentation like I mentioned at the wall, can I see your spine actually segmenting or am I seeing a couple of vertebrae being jammed together there and not potentially moving to the best of their abilities. We check your shoulder, so if you think of like a baseball pitcher, we look to see what kind of rotation do you have an external? What kind of rotation you have an internal? So it gives us just that initial feedback of okay, based on our experience, can we now give you something that is going to get you heading in the right direction? And then it's the feedback, and then it's the you logging your workouts and us checking in and us having conversations. Then we open your horizon to everything. The benefit of what we do is we like to put visual things there, so I mentioned earlier around the front splits, but even more importantly, we might say things you mentioned your brother does handstands. You know, we are very heavily invested in more body weight skills as well, because when your mindset has changed to earning things, not just standing in front of a mirror shifting weight, which for some people is good for the head, but sometimes we want a bit more of an understanding as to why you're asking me to do what I'm doing. That's where we really excel because we go, this is what you need to do right now. These are the things we've talked about that are potentially going to happen over the next twelve to twenty four weeks. Okay, this is the way we're going to do it. Don't overthink it, and we're going to hold your hand along the way. And if you need support, if you need to get on a call and just talk like a human being because life is in the way and there's a lot of busy things happening, let's do that because we know that if you stay consistent, that trumps everything else as long as you keep showing up in some form of fashion, you're going to continue this. Because I'm highly motivated. I'm anticipating you're highly motivated. For us, it's a little bit easier for us to go, well, this is what I'm going to do, and it's a Tuesday, and I do this, so every Tuesday, I make it my damn this to show up. Obviously, with clients who are reaching out for our help, they need a little bit more like I want you to push me when you can push me, I want you to nurture me when you can nurture me, and everything else in between. And that's kind of what we do. We say, look, don't overthink it, like, yeah, there might be loads of exercises out there, but what if we look at you when we say, when you sat in a cross like a position, did you notice your right knee was higher than your left kneeh? I notice it? Now? Okay, so potentially you don't have external or the adequate amount of external rotation in that right hip. So could we prioritize external rotation for you?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Why hasn't anybody ever said that important? I don't know, but I'm just showing you this Now.
Speaker 1: I love that targeted approach because so many of us are not even aware of what those imbalances are. And to have someone else explain it to you, show it to you on video, and give you that then guidance and here is a really simple strategy to improving it. You are setting yourself up for success. And if you then choose to take that into other elements of your life, such as your yoga class, your pilates class, the mobility component in the CrossFit workout, or whatever it might be, you've got this lovely balance of this personalized protocol that you can then adapt into your everyday life. And you know, my husband is quite self motivated, and we'll often be watching TV at night and he's.
Speaker 2: Down on the ground rolling around doing.
Speaker 1: All his mobility work while I'm sitting there like a pork chop on the couch. And you know, I do think, gosh, Like, that's the great thing about mobility is you can just flop down onto the floor and start doing it. It's not like you have to structure in a whole hour and find an hour.
Speaker 2: In your day.
Speaker 1: You've just got to be engaged and motivated enough to prioritize it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so for that, what I say to people is as much as we build programs for people, we also try to create healthy habits. One of the biggest healthy habits I give to most people is most people will start with a tennis ball, but challenge people to move up to a golf ball. Put it beside your toothbrush or beside your desk, and every time you see it, you put on the ground, you roll the soles of your feet out on it, so that you know, if you think of people who are in the commercial space and they're spending so much time in heels, are locked it away in shoes, it's just to you know, give a bit more of expression through your feet.
Speaker 2: Oh it feels so good.
Speaker 1: It feels amazing to roll a tennis ball or a golf ball under your.
Speaker 2: Feet, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: And Planter fashi itis is a huge concern for particularly women over forty, and it's such debilitating injury because it really does ground you. And when weight management and you know, cardiovascular health and mental health is such a focus and you can't get out for your beautiful walk each day, it's very frustrating.
Speaker 3: And that's one of the main reasons why we ask if our clients were orthotics as an example, because as much as I think orthotics have a place at times, we have to remember that if I put a cast on your arm and left it there for four months and then took it off, would you expect to have the same level of dexterity as your right arm? Probably not anybody who's ever broken a bone. You lose that movement from that joint. So I guess the reason why I challenge people then to try to find the happy media. And obviously in Australia it's you know, we can get down the beach and stuff. But you know I worked a lot with the States, which is like a totally different kettle of fish compared to Australia. And you know, some people are they have no choice. They're working eight ten hours a day with an hour each side commute. So it's like I'm trying to give healthy habits that you don't have to put too much expectation on it, You don't put an end date to it. You just do it. And take it from somebody who used to wear a football boot five hours a day and had no dexterity in his toes. When I first moved to Australia, I couldn't walk. If anybody listening to this is around the Manly area, which is on the Northern Beaches. I wasn't able to walk out to Shelley Beach, which is kind of like a concreted little bit off like stone kind of a flooring. I couldn't do that in my bare feet because it was way too sensitive. And so my challenge when I first moved to Australia was to get to the point that I could walk that in my bare feet. So sometimes we take these things for granted, but actually, you know, it's something that we should look at for anybody who's listening to this as a toddler or like, you know, young kids. Look how much they use their toes, watch their big toe when they're just like like doing things. My daughter picks things up with her toes right like, watch how easy they do it. And so as we age, we have to appreciate if we have that dexterity, like what's that doing for everything above it? It's such a good structure to focus on.
Speaker 1: Look, Dan, we have covered so much today and I'm definitely feeling motivated to focus on my mobility. Just to wrap up I'd love to ask you, finally, for a mum listening today, who is time for? What would your partting tip be for her to help her look after her joints better and to improve her mobility.
Speaker 3: But what I'd like anybody to do is to number one is to write it on a calendar. Like I don't know how I survived before having Google calendar, but like if you actually write like, okay, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, I'm going to try to do ten minutes, don't put an hour like ten minutes. I'm going to try to do ten minutes. Because I say to everybody under commit to overachieve, it's better that you do three weeks of ten minute sessions for three times and then you go, I could do fifteen minutes right then what I do is I go shoulder, hip spine. That's all you focus on. We already touched on it. You do a rotation, You do a rotation, and then you do a segmentation. My YouTube videos, there is a mobility one there. It's about eighteen minutes long. You literally just click play and you follow along. It has zero equipment.
Speaker 1: Given what we've spoken about today, would you be able to choose the most suitable YouTube video, and I'll pop it in the show notes so that our beautiful listeners can follow along in one of those workouts for you, maybe under twenty minutes, like somewhere around that ten to fifteen minutes long.
Speaker 2: Is that something, because I'd love to give that to my listeners.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they just might hate me because that one was that particular one was recorded in the Maldives on a beach. So maybe it might be a nice thing to look at. Maybe it might.
Speaker 2: No, it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: We'll live vicariously through your perfect Instagram life, flexible on the.
Speaker 2: Beach while we're all at home. Time purse iff as a plank. Will yeah, will either hate you or will be inspired by you. But yes, okay, so you said ten minutes. Put it in your diary.
Speaker 1: Shoulders, spine hips, couple of rotations follow that video.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 3: That's it. Don't overthink it. Yeah, just don't overthink it because the reality is if you don't do anything, it's not going to go anywhere. So it's like, once you get into that consistent practice you are a human being, you will get hungry for more. That's what happens. Create the consistency, then change the intensity.
Speaker 2: Dan I Sullivan. I'm ready to do this. You've got me over the line, my friend.
Speaker 1: This plank of wood is going to be very bendy very soon. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: You're welcome. Thanks for having me.