Speaker 1: Welcome to the Mentor. I'm Marke Boris Anthony Bariche. Welcome to the Mentor. Thank you very much. Mark. Nice to be here. And how good are we going? Oh? Really good. We've we're not meet now we're talking about we're talking about the Roosters. We've got a lot of things in common, one of them being the Roosters. Yeah, it's good to be a long you've been as a border for us. I think this year I've knocked up forty five years of supporting the Red, White and the Blue. I remember my father took me to my first game when I was like six or seven years old, back at the old Sydney Sports Ground. Yeah. He used to be called yep, and you know Russell Fairfax and Boba Riley and Muddy Girr and Ken Kerry Bostad and Kevin Hastings that you know, that sort of era and late seventies, early eighties. Yeah, late late seventies, early eighties. Yeah, And I wasn't as fascinated with the rugby as much as I was fascinated with the dry ice. So I remember, I remember my dad used to take me to the games, and back in those days there was dry ice and all that sort of stuff, and I'd sit on the grass and I'd sort of just be fascinated with with a with a dry ice, and the russ would score and then I'd sort of look at the game and chair a bit and whatever. But yeah, very typic a little kids.
Speaker 2: They all go around and especially in the six or seven years of age, they're all dean holes and while their parents are sort of getting either aggravated or extremely excited about the Russes winning. So just in context, So you're the CEO and founder of Vixed Meats, a very well known meat business.
Speaker 1: Let's call it meat purveyors. I don't know what the word is, supply wholesalers, retailers. Yeah, but you have a history.
Speaker 2: You're come from a family you told me your dad now, but you have a history of generational history of being in the butcher business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd be right. Yeah, I'm I'm proudly I'm a fifth generation butcher. So you're actually like a butcher trade as a butcher. Yeah. Well, I never normally did my apprenticeship, but I learned under the best butcher in the world. Who's my father, right, who's proudly been a butcher and dedicated fifty five years of his life mark to the craft of butchery. A remarkable man, an incredible role model for me, a mentor. He's my father, he's my business partner, and he's still best parents. Yeah. Yeah, my father retired a couple of years ago, but you can't help himself. He's still he's still there, sort of looking over my shoulder. My sister and I now run the business. So yeah, butchery goes back many, many generations in our fans beyond your dad. Yeah, so his father, my great grandfather, my father's brothers a butcher's So my father has two older brothers. He's the youngest of seven. So literally butchery runs through Alvein's mark. And despite my best efforts, I should say my parents' best efforts, because actually my father, funnily enough, he didn't want me to follow in his footsteps. Like most migrants, so my background's creation my father, like all the great sort of immigrants that came to this country in the sort of sixties and seventies, my father, actually he didn't want me to follow in his footsteps. He wanted me to get an education, He wanted me to become a I don't know, accountant, lawyer. He wanted me to sort of pursue a white collar sort of career, a better life, you know. Butcher. Butcher is hard work, you know, very physical, you're on your feet, cold conditions. Wasn't a very respected and appreciated sort of profession. So my parents, like a lot of migrants, you know, sort of one of their kids to sort of go to school, finish school, university and sort of pursue a more professional sort of career. So I was the first person. Yeah, it was quite amazing. I was the first person, both on my mother and my father's side, to ever go to university. So both on my mother and my father's side very blue collars sort of backgrounds. And so I went to university. I finished with a finance economics degree, and I went off and pursued a career in investment banking, and I went to work for a banker's trust back in those days, so we're talking sort of early nineties now, as a junior equities analyst. I'll never forget the first day that I went to work. I got dressed up in a suit and a tie, and my mom started to cry and I was like, oh God, what have I done something wrong? I have I put my retire wrong, I've got something I've dirted my jacket or whatever. But she was so proud. She'd never seen anybody on her side of the family ever sort of go to work in a suit and a tie. And so I pursued that career, and look, six or seven months into it, I loved what I was doing. Six or seven months into it, something didn't feel right, you know. And I remember coming home one afternoon because I was still living at home at that stage, and I said to my dad, I wanted to be a butcher. And at that stage, my father had been working he was an employee working for Andrew's Meat and which one Peter Peter. Yeah, Yeah, he'd been there for twenty five years, working with the Andrews family. And he was quite shocked. He was quite disappointed, and he said, no way, you know, look at you. You know, You've started on this amazing career all that sort of stuff. But look or wore him down. And six months later, so in February of nineteen ninety six, my father and I started our family business in Oxford Street in Darlinghurst, just around the corner here, and that's how vix Meat started, and that's how I entered the meat industry. And like they say, the apple obviously doesn't forll far from the tree, despite this sort of detour that I took. And I'm very grateful for my education and my background, and you know, the sort of six or seven months that I spent in investment banking. But you know, when you've got a family tradition, and when you've got somebody like my father who's dedicated his whole life, who's so passionate about butchery and meat and all that sort of stuff. Yeah, like they say, the apple obviously doesn't fall fart minitary, and I inevitably ended up following in his footsteps and continuing that sort of family tradition.
Speaker 2: It's interesting young people, boys and girls who go off because the family is largely, especially micro families largely try to influence them to be what the parents consider to be a better lifestyle, better than what the parents have. But the kids, it doesn't matter what the parents say, it's no matter what the parents do, and that I think influences all of us. So if you go back and when you're a little kid, not of the roosters, but a little kid watching your dad whilst you're at school. Of the things you remember about your dad as a butcher, like sort the things you saw. Nobody said, but the things you saw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're so right about that. Yeah, there's definitely that. You know, my parents wanted me to go in a certain direction, but it was the things that I observed them doing that have lived with me to this day. And some of those things are work ethic. What does that mean to you? It means everything. You know. I watched my father get up at one o'clock every morning, as he has for the last fifty five years, were taking me through the lifestyle of a butcher. Yeah, it's bloody tough. You know, early starts. Where does early start mean that? I mean my father, I mean and for a big part of my career. Also, I've been doing what I've been doing for thirty years. Mark, you're up at sort of one one thirty in the morning. Why your day starts at two two thirty in the morning, because you know that's when the deliveries come in. There's an expectation from our customers that their meat arrives at eight, nine o'clock in the morning. Our business is proudly supplied and delivered to the best chefs, the best restaurants, the best venues, the most well regarded chefs and restaurants in the country. And they've got very high expectations not only in terms of quality and consistency, but also service. And they're open for lunch a lot of these places, and they need to meet there early in order to be able to prepare it and get ready for lunch and dinner and all that sort of stuff. So in order to be able to fulfill those orders, in order to be able to fulfill them at a high standard, you need to start day really really early. You need to receive that meet in, you need to prepare it, pack it, deliver it, all that sort of stuff. So, yeah, your day starts a sort of two two thirty in the morning. It's not negotiable because if you don't start your day at that time in the morning, you just won't be able to sort of meet those expectations and get those deliveries out on time, all of those sort of things. That's the life of a butcher, and most butchers, and even in meat retailing, most butchers start their morning or start their day at sort of five or six o'clock in the morning. It's a little bit more civil in retail, okay, but it's retail being like a shop front. Yeah, like a shopfront, like your local neighborhood sort of butcher shop. So your day starts really all early, whether you're wholesaling or retailing. So that work ethic, that ability to be able to you know, be disciplined enough, be motivated enough to get your us out of bed at that time of the morning, rain, haler shine, whether it's sort of five degrees outside, whether it's you know, fifteen degrees outside, whether it's raining, whatever it might be. Yeah, there's an enormous amount of discipline, motivation, drive, determination that you need to sort of have.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a very interesting thing to say that because you know, you guys, vix Meats are very successful, and you know you've got a great, big business and you do got lots of big customers, well known customers, and you know it's not just a nothing wrong with just a butcher shop.
Speaker 1: But it's a big deal, okay, And you're talking about work ethic.
Speaker 2: There are two words to sort of go together get thrown around a lot, But do you see it actually as an ethic. In other words, working hard is part of your fundamentals, as opposed to you need to do it for your job, for your business.
Speaker 1: I get.
Speaker 2: I get that bit because you know, in the competitive world you've got to give service and blah blah bah, there's the expectations of the customer.
Speaker 1: I get all that.
Speaker 2: But do you do it because of that or do you do it because it's just an ethic of yours that you saw as a kid growing up. In other words, because they like for me, I mean, I'm the same sort of not we want butchers, but like I had the same thing going growing up, as there's an ethic of hard work that my old man I watched my my dad do. In fact, we used to clean butcher shops on Satday afternoons. We had a datat a cleaning business, and as well as these other jobs, but we used to clean butcher shops at about two o'clock.
Speaker 1: We had two which shops we used.
Speaker 2: To clean this to go and get all the saw dust and clean the wood thing that you cut the meat up on. Yeah, and put more saw dust down and all that sort of stuff. I will school type of cleaning, but but they're sort of bit of a side. But the work ethic and I don't know if people understand this that well, but the work ethic is not because of the expectations of the people you're dealing with, but it's actually an ethic.
Speaker 1: That's inside you. Yeah. And where do you get that from?
Speaker 2: Like I mean you And if let's say someone didn't grasp with that, Let's say their parents are lazy motherfuckers.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: Where how do you do How does someone develop that if they haven't experienced it or seen it as opposed being told.
Speaker 1: I think it's what I might say next might be slightly controversial because I think everybody's got the ability to work hard, okay, But then there's a difference between working hard and exactly what you just said and ethic. You know, something that's inside you, ye, something that dry I've got to work hard, yeah, yeah, And I think that comes from certain generations and if you look at our parents, if we look at our grandparents, those humble beginnings, the need to have to fight every day just to survive, Yeah, just to survive, I think is something that becomes ingrained in you, okay, And unfortunately that doesn't seem to exist to the same level and extent nowadays.
Speaker 2: And do you put that and do you put that down to I'm just it's a little bit off topic, but do you put that down to because I don't blame the let's call it the younger generation, because they haven't had to be that way, because because Australia has become quite wealthy, and Australians generally speaking, parents in fact for that matter, have become relatively speaking wealthy, especially relative to the rest of the world, and as a result of that, there hasn't been the need to work that hard, more so these days, and therefore they've never really experienced it them. And I often said to people, like, we've had ridiculously low unemployment numbers for so long.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter who you are. You can get a job and you can get good money. You can get forty five bucks. In Nouri, we're cleaning cleaner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we have cleaners were getting fifty bucks an hour, whereas cleaner used to be lucky to about to pull.
Speaker 1: Twenty bucks an hour.
Speaker 2: And it's great money, Like fifty bucks an hour forty hours, that's two thousand bucks a week.
Speaker 1: And if you want to work that day Sunday, you can probably push it up to three. Yeah, yeah, totally, Like that's crazy money hunt fifty grand a year. Yeah, I mean, I wholeheartedly agree with that. You know, it's that struggle, that fight, that humility. You know, you love boxing. I love boxing. You look at the background of most boxes, right, they come from hard backgrounds, slums, poor backgrounds. Manny Pacauer, Mike Tyson, all the greatest fighters in the world had these really tough, humble struggle, all that sort of stuff, and that is that environment that builds resilience, it builds the termination all that sort of stuff. Look, I've got four of my own kids. They're great kids, Okay, But to your point, I've probably not set them up for success because I have provided you know this, well you didn't have yeah yeah, yeah, this comfortable environment, you know what I mean, where they don't have to struggle, where they don't have to fight. So you're torn as a parent, right, because you want to provide your kids the best starting life, but by default you're probably harming their ability to reach their full potential or understand the importance of hard work, sacrifice, all the sort of things that our parents and our grandparents and all that sort of stuff had to do so.
Speaker 2: For example, did your parents like we're in these suburbs here at the moment, but like, but by the way, it happens to be in the North Shore.
Speaker 1: And in fact there's a lot of.
Speaker 2: Wealthy people out the west as well, a lot. All everybody ever talks about is it's European summer. Who's going to Europe for the summer? Like did you ever see your mom and dad take European holidays every year and go to you know, in your case Croatia or you know, my case Grease, Like just mean everyone I know who's going to Greece? Like and I and psked me, are you going agress? I say no, which is working, Like I've got to work, and I do it because that's how my dad was. And I'm not trying to I'm not hero. I don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to say that about himself. It's just what I know. You'd be the same.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 2: You can't just get up and piss off and leave your business loan and say oh, let's go on a Maybe you do from time time, but it's not a it's not an expectation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sacrifices have to be made and growing up, I you know, I went without the things I wanted, never went without the things I needed. So my parents provided me everything that I needed. Food, roof of my head, warm bed, yeah, a warm bed, I loving, caring, environmental, those sort of things. But I wanted the latest sneakers, you know what I mean, back in the day Jordan's used to come out all that sort of stuff. I wanted it. I never got it. My parents couldn't afford it, right, and I couldn't, you know, going to Europe. And I did remember going to Europe once or twice up to the age of eighteen. It's not an expectation, no, no, it was. It happened my mark every sort of maybe seven or eight one years, you know what I mean. Whereas there's an expectation nowadays that we're going out a European trip. Yeah, yeah, every summer we're going to escape the winter here and we're going to go to Europe type thing.
Speaker 2: So if you're so, if you're doing the startups, there's lots of startups around, we know, lots and lots and lots of them.
Speaker 1: I we're talking about the work ethic.
Speaker 2: What would you say to a startup about how they've got to get a hit their head around, how hard you got to work to succeed as a startup.
Speaker 1: The main message for me is there are going to be times where you're going to doubt yourself, where you're gonna you know, you have to keep your foot on that pedal NonStop twenty four to seven, and you need to embrace the suck. You need to eat dirt, you need to be humble. You just need to just shovel shit, you know what I mean. There's no secrets, there's no shortcuts, there's no you know, and everybody talks about it. You know, you're successful, You're an overnight success. It just took your twenty years to sort of enjoy that sort of success. You know. There's just no secrets to it. Mark, It's just commitment, dedications, sacrifice. You know. I remember the first decade that my father and I started our business. I was still in my twenties. You know. My friends were finishing school, had sort of were unmarried. They were going out, clubbing, partying, all that sort of stuff. I couldn't. I couldn't do it. I could afford to do it. I could have done it, but it meant consequences, you know what I mean, Like I wouldn't be able to get out of bed, or I wouldn't be able to perform at my best, all that sort of stuff. It's those sacrifice is that you have to make that are inevitably going to sort of lead to the success that you are going to enjoy. But that success won't happen overnight. That success might happen in five years, ten years, fifteen years, twenty years, whatever it might be. Can you remember time?
Speaker 2: I'm going to get to break in a second, but I really curious do you remember it. I'm sure there's many more than one, But can you remember any one time that you thought to yourself and your dad and your talks, and my god, this is not going to work. You know, this is too bloody difficult to break into this particular market. Maybe we made it, We made a mistake in this whole endeavor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a time. And I don't share this and I don't speak about it openly because I'm a little bit I was a little bit embarrassed about it, especially early on. But when my father and I first started our family business, we started in a retail butcher shop in Oxford and Street and darling Hosts. So my father came from a wholesale background with Andrews. But our first business was this retail butcher shop in Oxford Street. So we started as a retailer and we were failing miserably as a retailer. What do you mean by that? So Oxford Street Darlinghurst if you sort of think about Oxford Street Darlinghurst in the late nineties, so ninety six, the late nineties, Oxford Street Darlinghurst was like Norton Street in like art was in each street, so door to door restaurants, the Balkan restaurants, all that sort of stuff. Even sort of Victoria Street Darlinghurst, Morgan's where we are now whatever, it was just cafe restaurants whatever. It was booming, okay, But Oxford Street and Darlinghurst was sort of you know, and it is the sort of gay capital of Australia. So single income or double income, no kids, no families in that sort of area, so money just yeah. Yeah. So they were going out and eating in restaurants. They weren't cooking at home. So we opened or took over this retail butcher shop and there was no customers there was no families. There was nobody sort of shopping in that sort of area for meat. And sort of a few months went by and we were thinking, Jesus, have we made a mistake here? You know, we weren't making any money. There was barely a half a dozen customers that were sort of walking through the door. And it wasn't until you know, and once again you're back against the wall. So what do you do? You sort of you know, you need to think laterally, you need to think out the side of the square. You need to survive. My parents had put their life savings into this business. And I looked at the front door and I saw all of these restaurants, and I just started knocking on doors, you know, I started, you know, approaching these cafes and restaurants and saying, hey, you know, I'm Anthony from VIX Meat. We're a local butcher here in Oxford Street and Darlinghurst. You must use meat. What about using a local butcher? And that's how our wholesale business started. That was the turning point, our turning point for our business and ultimately what set us on the path that we ultimately were able to create this successful, highly regarded business. Was because we failed or we were failing at one thing and had to pivot and start and go on a different path. So that was significant for us. The next thing that really happened that sort of you know, elevated us and shot us to this sort of next plateau or level was Level forty one restaurant. I'm sure you'll remember, yeah, building Alan's. It was meant to be Alan Bond's apartment now called chiff Tower now Chiffley Tower there, yeah, And and it was where you know, the likes of Kerry Packer used to go and have lunch and all that sort of stuff, and it was an impossible place to get into and I'll never forget. So we started to sort of dig ourselves out of a bit of a hole that my father and our find ourselves in. We're dealing with Cafe one nine one, Morgan's, Grand Pacific, Blue Room, Raquel's, the Boalkan restaurants. So we started to get a bit momentum with these restaurants. And my father was very very passionate about awful. So you know, all the stuff that most people they like to eat, you know, livers, swear, good wog food, no peasant food. Yeah, so my parents, my father's upbringing, he couldn't his family couldn't afford, you know, all the prime cuts. So it was all of this sort of offul and all that sort of stuff that he was raised his livers, you know, sweetbreads, all that sort of stuff. Yeah, and my father proudly always used to display this tray of offul in the and for six months, nobody'd come into the shop and buy it, you know, so every single day we'd have to throw it out, and religiously my father would the next day set up a new display. And I remember, I remember I was down the back of the shop doing something, and I remember the bell ringing on the door. Somebody walked in and my dad having a conversation with somebody about awful okay, and sweetbreads and all that sort of stuff. Anyway, I didn't make much of it because I thought myself, you know, he hasn't sold any offl for six months. He's not going to sell any today. Anyway, the next day, so I pick it up. And you know when somebody sort of says their name in a way that you're meant to know who they are. Yeah, So it was, you know, he introduced himself, Hi, this is Dip mar Soyer. And then there was this uncomfortable sort of pause or whatever, because I didn't know who this guy was. Anyway, Look, I'm the chef of executive chef of Level forty one restaurant. I was in your shop yesterday, okay, and I bought some Ville sweetbreads. And then I was, oh, you're the guy, you know, because he was the only guy in the last six months that walked into the shop and bought some off or And he goes, look, I've got this restaurant. It's in the city, and you know, do you sell fresh chicken bones? And I thought it was a really weird thing for him to ask, because fresh chicken bones are pretty basic, pretty simple, you know. I was like, yeah, we can get fresh chicken bones. Oh would you be able to sort of supply sixty kilos of fresh chicken bones to my restaurant every day? And I was like, yeah, that's no problems. Not the biggest sale I was ever going to make. I think think it was like a fifteen dollar sale or whatever. Anyway, I got off the phone. Dad asked me, oh, who's that on the phone. I goes, oh, Dad, that was that guy that came in yesterday and put some Ville sweetrests for you. Oh right, great, I remember him. What does he need? He owns a restaurant in the city. He wants sixty kill our chicken bones. My dad's eyes rolled over because it was like a fifteen dollar sale. Now, the big issue that I had was I didn't have a delivery van at that stage. I was making deliveries up and down Oxford Street with a trolley. That's all I needed, you know. So all of our customers were in Oxtra Street, so I was I was doing these deliveries with a trolley running up and down Oxrad Street. So we didn't have a delivery van. So that afternoon there's a bit of a pattern here of me twisting my dad's arm and convincing him to do silly, stupid things, okay, over our thirty year career. That afternoon we found ourselves on Paramatter Road in in you know where Paramounter Raid in Paramatta where that you know it used to be all the sort of car yards and all that sort of stuff. And I convinced my dad to buy a fifteen thousand dollars delivery van and for a fifteen dollar delivery to Level forty one restaurant.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the next morning made the delivery, fighting traffic the whole you know, there and back. Took me about an hour and a half of my time. We made a fifteen thousand dollars investment in this van for a fifteen dollar sale. Okay, anyway, For the next three or four months, that's all we supplied Dip Marsayer and Level forty one restaurant sixty kilos of fresh chicken bones. Okay. But I stuck at it, and three months later ditmar rang up. It must have been a test. I'm thinking it was maybe a test to see how committed we were to sort of supplying him, being a supplier of his or whatever. Three or four months later he rang up. He goes, oh, do you do anything other than chicken bones? And I was like, oh, man, yeah, yeah, of course we do, you know, beeflam or whatever. Within a couple of months, he was spending fifteen thousand dollars a week with us, okay, which was more than fifty percent of our overall revenue every single week. And beyond the mark, you know, the credibility that it gave our business dealing with eleven forty. I was able then to introduce myself to Michael McMahon att Catalina, Neil Perry at Rockpool Tetsuyer Rosel and from there the momentum just grew. You know, I was able to sort of build this business based on the fact that we were servicing, supplying the best chefs and the best restaurants in the country.
Speaker 2: And that's this history, and that's an important lesson. So you sometimes you've got to just work at work, at work, at hangout to get one good proxy, one good reference point about the quality of your product and the service, and it doesn't matter. Sometimes it might take a year to do it, but no, it doesn't matter what the business is. But that one proxy, that one reference point, assuming you do a good job, then becomes a launching pad which you can leverage into like stacks of other customers and or clients. And sometimes we try to chase too many, especially in the startup world, we try to chase too many. We don't concentrate anyone in particular.
Speaker 1: We just got to choose one and go hard for it.
Speaker 2: Assuming you know that you can achieve, you think you're can achieve it, you just go hard for it until you get there. I quickly want to just be going together break. But before I go to the break, anything, just one thing for anyone who's listening. As I recall sweetbreads is sort of like a fatty bit of meat that sort of sits behind the neck or something like that.
Speaker 1: It's a gland. That is a gland that sits in the throat. Describe it. Yeah, there's not many people would have had it. Yeah, and it's bloody delicious. It's a delicacy. It doesn't sound very sexy or very appetizing, but it's a delicacy. So it's a gland, okay. And how you sort of prepare it your sort of you know, you soak it in milk, okay, and that sort of gets all rid of all the sort of the blood and all that sort of stuff in it, and then you fry them, okay, And you fry them and they're sort of just this pillowy, sort of soft it's like fatty. It's nearly fatty, but it's not fatty. Yeah, yeah, it's Yeah, it has that fatty sort of texture about it, but it's not fat it's this sort of gland. It's very hard to sort of explain. Greeks love it. Yeah, Greek.
Speaker 2: The Greek people love it. I mean a lot of Europeans love it. You only get too I guess, get.
Speaker 1: Too per animal. Yeah, and they're tiny, they're barely sort of fifty or sixty grams each, you know. Yeah, I've had him.
Speaker 2: I've had him in a Greek restaurant that I used to go to a place called the Ness Meant for many many years, they used to I haven't seen sweet breads anywhere for a long long time, but as I recorded, they were crumbed ones I had, and they were really delicious. But also know that they were probably a little bit fatty because that's what I used to away order every time I went there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they got the same texture as lambranes. Yeah, people have tried. Yeah. Soft, but it's a delicate yeah. Yeah, but it's a super food also, so beyond being a delicacy. And it's a superfood because awful is you know in terms of nutrients and how nutrient dense they are and all that sort of stuff. I don't want to go down this path, No, I want to go. It's been demonized for a while or whatever, but it's a super food. You know. It's a fundamental building block to sort of having a highly nutritious, healthy diet, you know, and offl is the next level of that in terms of how nutrient dens it is and how good it is. So you can have one hundred grams of veal liver, for instance, okay, and that's as good as having four hundred grams of or three hundred grams of beef or lamb or whatever. You need to eat one hundred kilos of kale, okay, in order to get the same nutrients that you'll get out of eating one hundred grams or one hundred and fifty grams of your liver. You know, I want to talk more about this. Let's go. The break comes straight back. I'm back from the break.
Speaker 2: I'm here with Anthony and we are talking all things at vix Meats.
Speaker 1: That would.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate the story and how you and your dad said this business up in the mid nineties, and actually how you've first worked out out supplying wholesale. At wholesale is probably better than supplying a retail and that was sort of forced upon it. That was a great pivot, and we all have to do pivots every now and then, let me just let's just have a little think about now the meat industry as a as an industry, so there is, like everything in the world these days, is a division between meat eaters and non meaders. Once upon a time you never heard from a non meat eater.
Speaker 1: Then I'm not going to call them vegans, where just a non meat eater.
Speaker 2: But there I presume there's enough meat eaters in the world, and it's not something you're concerned about that meat will become one of those things that we stop consuming, irrespective you know, all the stuff they're talking about, you know, animals creating meat, cows creating meat, and all those sorts of things. We're sure position on that. So let's leave nutrition aside from moment just as an industry.
Speaker 1: I'm deeply respectful of the fact that everybody has a choice, you know, and for me, I don't I don't want to. I'm not going to deny the fact that the meat industry as a whole needs to take some serious responsibility in and around its impact on the environment. Okay, and yeah, methane production and you know, cows belching and farting and all that sort of stuff. The production of meat in terms of its energy and water usage, all that sort of stuff. I think every industry, not just the meat industry, needs to take a good look in terms of what ultimate impact that it has on the environment. I know that. You know there was this period you know what was it. It was it was sort of probably just before COVID, you know, where meat was demonized. It was considered not good for you in terms of your health and well being. It was it was considered one of the biggest control tribute to the deterioration of the environment, the impact on the environment, it's carbon footprint, so to speak. That then led to this huge interest and explosion in plant based meat alternatives. You'll saw companies like Beyond and Impossible just come out of nowhere, and you know there's stock prices sort of skyrocket and all this buzz around sort of plant based meat alternatives. Look, the reality is marked, there's going to be nine billion people on this planet by twenty fifty. There isn't enough meat. There isn't enough food that's going to be able to supply all of those people.
Speaker 2: So the fundamental problem is not enough food. Yeah, yeah, so we know where it comes from.
Speaker 1: So I'm completely open to coming up with alternatives, but as long as there's transparency in and around those alternatives, I think it's all good. But yeah, we need to find solutions in terms of how we're going to feed the world. Okay, with with with with good quality food? Now process food? We know, you know, don't question how much good food costs, question how much bad food? How cheap bad food is? You know, so the answer isn't process food either. You know, there's there's a lot of science that that that tells you that that you know, plants and animals, you know, vegetables, meat, all that sort of stuff are the fundamental building blocks to having a healthy, happy, long life. And all of us want to be happy, healthy and live a long life. I haven't met anybody that wants to be happy and healthy but not live a long life or or unhappy, live a long life and healthy, you know, all of us want those three things. And good food and good quality food is a part of that sort of equation. So yeah, Look, the mean industry I think has a big part to play in terms of feeding the world. Okay, it has to tax and responsibility in around its carbon footprint. But then at the same time, regenerary farming, okay, is a way that we can also improve the environment, because there's it's proven that you know, good soil and and and farmland secretes carbon out of the environment, you know, and and and blocks it locks it, yeah, blocks it, and and it locks it in the ground. Yeah, and locks it into the ground, just like the ocean does, and seaweed and all those sort of things. So so I don't think, you know, you can't be sort of you can't say that one thing's there's no silver bullet. You know, it's a combination of a lot of things that I think, I think are going to feed the world in a sustainable, healthy, long term way and preserve what's happening in the environment.
Speaker 2: And that's a good balanced way of looking at it. So I mean, as a businessman, do you you and your father or your family members have to sit down and sort of say, what's the prognosis for our industry as as a commercial prognosis, you know, like that people will continue to buy meat, our meat, your meat in particular, do you have to start to pivot around these things, because you know, you pivoted back in the night is by becoming a supply because retail wasn't working because of the geography you or your location. I should say, do you see a time at which someone like vix Meats might start to even look at alternatives to meet and being a supply of alternatives to meet? I mean, is that something you would never do or do you just or you would consider.
Speaker 1: There's a few things that we've you know, we're open to. You know, as a business, we have to continue to sort of evolve. We need to be mindful of what's happening in terms of trends, so we're always looking at many things. We want to remain relevant as a business. We want to keep going into the future. But but if I can just mention something quickly, to his credit, I think my father did a remarkable job of future proofing our business in the very very early days, in the formative days of our business. And what I mean by that is my father. He won't take offense to this. My father's not an educated man. He never went to school, you know. He school wasn't for him and all that sort of stuff. But to his credit, somehow he was able to sort of future proof our business. And what I mean by that was, I remember when I first started and the first day that I started working with my father, he told me about the philosophy that's fundamentally sort of bound our family of butchers over the last sort of four or five generations, and that was that as butchers, the ultimate respect that we can show on animals, so ultimately, as butcher's we're taking the life of the animal. You know, there's no way around that, okay, but the ultimate respect that we can show that animal is to use every single part of it, okay, not to waste any of it. So in terms of being conscious and you know, the environment and not and and utilizing everything and being sustainable or whatever, my father sort of set that that stepping stone in place very early on. So as a business, we've been obsessed with making sure that we use every single part of the animal, that we don't waste it, that we educate our customers in and around that there's more to the animal than sort of tea bone, scotch field at sirloin and all the sort of popular cuts, you know. And we've worked with chefs to sort of put all of these what are considered to be secondary cuts on menus, to sort of embrace them, to celebrate them all that sort of stuff. So that's one example of how we continue to sort of drive our business forward, remain relevant, and do our bit in terms of respecting the craft, the industry, the mean industry as a whole protein. You know, look, we're good butchers. I don't see ourselves going into into seafood, you know, I see that as as a special in itself. I think we need to stick to what we're good at. We need to sort of be mindful of what's out there, We need to investigate. I had conversations with Beyond and Impossible Meats, you know, in the late sort of twenty eighteen's, you know, seventeens or whatever, and now all that sort of happened, and I just wasn't convinced that that was the right solution for our business. You know, when you looked at a packet of their product and you looked at all the ingredients, you couldn't recognize. You needed a science degree to be able to recognize. You didn't recognize ninety percent of those ingredients. Whereas you look at meat, traditional meat, and for me, real is real traditional meat. You know, what are the ingredients? It's meat, you know, it's grass, it's the sun, it's water. You know, it's all natural ingredients that go into producing and raising that product, and that's got to be good for you. So we're always looking at things trying to evolve, stay ahead. We're considered a bit of a market leader in terms of what we do within our space. The rest of the world sort of looks at our business in terms of, you know, what we're doing to sort of continue to sort of evolve, grow, diversify all of those sort of things.
Speaker 2: With a lesson before other business owners who are listening to this podcast is the lesson that you've got out of this is sure, always be open to changes. But at the same time, if we're doing something well, stick to our lane.
Speaker 1: Totally and that that's in a nutshell how we sort of look at our business. You know, we know what we're good at. We stick to that. However, we are respectful that, you know, there's options out there, There's different things happening, So we've got one eye on what's sort of happening out there also, and there might be bits of it that we sort of embrace pull into our business. But I think it's about sticking to what you're good at.
Speaker 2: So got stuck in a whole lot of different things areas just in terms of vix mes. Now, so just give a bit of a thumbnail sketch of how do you are what you do? So I have seen your one of your outlets at the fish markets, which is you're selling meat that I know. You've got Churchills in Wollaro which is very famous shelf front, very very cool to go in there. There is a story about Anthony Bourdain. He said something about it. Maybe you could tell us about that. Well, it gives a thumbnail sketch of what you do now like your.
Speaker 1: Group, Yeah, sure, at its heart, our core business, our main business, our bread and butter. What we've been able to sort of carve out this phenomenal successful reputation out of is wholesaling meat, supplying the best chefs and the best restaurants and the best venues in the country. That's how we built our business. That's how we built our reputation pre COVID. And this is a bit of an interest in fact, because there's been you know, we've had to pivot again as a business post COVID, but pre COVID ninety five percent of our you know, we had one hundred and twenty million dollar business, employing one hundred and twenty staff, supplying six hundred restaurants across the seaboard of Australia, so a significant sized business. Ninety five percent of our revenue and eighty percent of our profit came from that. That that whole saling side of our business. Restaurants to restaurants, airlines, Quantas, Crown, the Star, all the major five star hotels, the Park, Hied, the Hilton, you know, you name it, all the best chefs and restaurants in the country. That that that's that that's our core business and remains our core business. We then opened up Victor Churchill in two thousand and nine in Oxfordshire, in sorry in Queen Street in Mallara. Are very ambitious, a very ambitious, high end bespoke retail meat experience. I might add that we opened it during the GFC or you know, when the world was in meltdown and the banking industries in mental, so a very difficult sort of period and time, and we were aping up the most expensive butcher shop that's ever been built in the world, and that's gone on to phenomenal success. Yes, Anthony Bourdain Oprah Winfrey, who Jackman, you name it. It's been a bit of a destination for people to sort of come and visit and come and have a look at. Anthony Bordein famously referred to it as the best and the most beautiful butcher shop in the world. Very humbling. We then to throw a cat amongst the pigeons or a tea ban amongst the salmon. Ten years ago we opened up a VIX branded a Vix Meat branded retail store at the Sydney Fish Market, so the biggest fish markets in the Southern Hemisphere in redness for the major redevelopment of that. But despite those two quite successful stores pre COVID, they still made up a small percentage of our overall business. Then COVID hit and percent my revenue came from wholesaling, to restaurants, to cafes, to hotels and airlines. When COVID hit and all of those places were forced to close, I literally Mark watched my business okay, and one hundred and twenty million dollars of revenue. I saw it fall off a cliff, you know, overnight. But like I alluded to earlier, there's a lot of fight in our business. And in our family, we never go down without a fight, without throwing punches, whether we're winning or losing. And our pivot our way of digging ourselves. We had five or six million dollars worth of meat sitting in our warehouse, in our core room. We had another six or seven million dollars of debtors so you know, twelve new money, yeah, twelve thirty million dollars worth of working capital that was just tied up in our business, that was just sitting there, not moving, not going anywhere. And our pivot was like most businesses, into online. We'd never had any experience with online business at that point, didn't know how to do it, didn't know where to start. But once again, when you got don't know many choices, it's amazing how resourceful you can be. And on the first of April, on April Fool's Day of twenty twenty, we launched vix Meat Direct, which was a online home delivery business to people's homes, delivering the finest quality meat in Australia, the sort of meat that was destined to the best chefs and the best restaurants. We were delivering it to people's doorsteps. Obviously, people were at home. They were locked up, they couldn't.
Speaker 2: Go out, and they prepared to spend a bit more that yeah, exactly to spoil themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and I was spoiling themselves out, and why wouldn't they you know, it was a horrible time that we were all going through and and he went game busters. We've done to date, so sort of what is it now? Sort of four years on, we've done fifty five million dollars worth of sales just through that one and that business still going business delivery business. And this is a real something, a really proud moment for me in the business that sales channel while it was a survival strategy, strategy, while it was something to keep our staff employed and in jobs in an effort to sort of get some cash going through the business, converting this stock into cash, keeping our staff in jobs and just paying the bills. That that's else. Channel remains part of our business to this day. So what it's done, it's given given a new business. Yeah, and it's given us. It's you know the analogy that I use, you know, pre covid. You know, we were a stool with one leg. Okay, The bulk of our business was was was wholesaling, okay, so there was a bit of stability, but we were still with one leg. Okay. Subsequently, we've we've opened up bricks and water retail stores, so we've got another leg to our stool. Okay, so a little bit more stable. Okay. Now with this online business, we've got our third leg to our stool. You know. So there's there's there's diversity to our business. There stability to our business, there's strength to our business. And and it's amazing what adversity. It's amazing what hard times are able to sort of you know, as that saying goes, pressure creates diamonds, right, you know. And a lot of people, you know, panic, a lot of people give up, a lot of people lose hope. It's easy to give up, right you know what I mean? Well, why didn't you give up? Though? Won't you tell me?
Speaker 2: What is it that makes you not give up?
Speaker 1: I just that's one thing that I can't explain. There's this desire within me. It might be pride, okay, which sometimes can be borderline arrogance. Okay, it's a bit of a fine line between pride and arrogance. I do my best to stay on the pride side of that line, you know. But I think it's pride, it's that determination, it's that passion, it's that love, it's that never give give up attitude. I suppose I'm deeply respectful of, you know, my family history and the toil and the struggle. You know, my father came to this country like most migrants. This story isn't unique to me, Mark, you know, will resonate with a lot of migrants. My father came to this country in the late sixties at the age of seventeen. You know. He was on a boat for three months. You know, I didn't know the language, you know, I didn't know anyone here. Literally the shirt on his back and one suitcase, you know, no education, and he just put his head down and he worked and he built something, you know. And I think it's that that that keeps me sort of motivated and going, you know, because it's easy to say everyone has their moments. I have my bad days, and it's easy to sort of give up. It's easier not to put the work in. It's easy to sort of pack up your bags and go home an hour earlier, all that sort of stuff. But it's just yeah, just I suppose yeah, pride and and and just not giving in and just always fighting. And final question for him, mate, where do from here? What's next? Anything next? You're going to go and launch in the US or euribles? I did that that we didn't have a chance to sort of talk about that in depth. But as many successes as I've had in my career, in my life, I've had my fair share of failures too. And in two thousand and five, twenty years ago, I launched a vix meat business in Shanghai. You know, most people didn't know where China was on a map, you know, I know it's become this global powerhouse and a big trade partner for Australia now and really important to Australia and our economy and all that sort of stuff in the world economy. But in two thousand and five, I opened up a start of the art two thousand square meet a facility in Shanghai to sort of import, you know, this high quality chilled Australian meat and supply as many of the Chinese emerging, growing affluent Chinese as possible. And then that wasn't enough for me. In February two thousand and six, I opened up a facility in Singapore. I really wanted to sort of play in that sort of South East Asia Asian sort of marketplace, you know. And by two thousand and eight I closed. I'll closed, you know, and I felt fat, fell flat on my face. It was my first ever big failure, you know. So I've done that whole overseas thing. Where to now. Look, you know, I'm fifty one years of age. I'm getting on a bit. I'm still young. I still feel good. I still have a lot to give and contribute. I still have a lot of fight and a lot of energy. But I'm not thirty years old. I'm not twenty years old. I'm not forty years old anymore. I'm a lot more strategic nowadays. I still want to grow. I still want to give opportunities to people within our business to grow and develop and experience things that I've been fortunate enough to experience. We're continuing to sort of build out our bricks and water retail sort of footprints. So we opened up recently a vix Stora or Chase. We're opening up in August at Bonni Junction. We've got our first vis retail store planned for Melbourne. That'll open at Chasten at the beginning of twenty twenty five, on the back of opening up Victor Churchill in Melbourne two years ago. So yeah, I still love what I do. I still see opportunities and I want to keep going. I want to keep this legacy going. My daughter works in the business, my oldest son works in the business, so hopefully I can provide them a bit of a platform and an opportunity to feel the same sense of pride that I've felt over the last thirty years owning and operating my family business and growing that servicing customers with humility, humbleness, and never wavering from from this commitment that my father made, that I inherited to quality, where the whole family is obsessed with quality, you know. And hopefully my kids are able to sort of inherit that that passion and that pride for what we do and continue on and I'm able to sort of guide them, mentor them just like my father did with me. You know.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think that's amazing and it's amazing story that you've done so well. It's not that really that long a period that you've been doing. If it was only like twenty five thirty years or something, and you are a significant footprint on the Australian let's call it wholesome meat industry, the wholesome meat industry.
Speaker 1: So, Anthony pull you did well when you're first courage pahrich Horidge. So we'll later that.
Speaker 2: So Anthony Pharridge and founder along with your dad of Vixed Meats, thanks very much for coming in today. Just one last thing, you know, the thing I just got out of this whole conversation. Sure, you try different things, and sometimes you file you're prepared to fail in your case, and all businesses are the same. But at the end of the day, if you know what you're doing is going well and it is a correct and a good outcome for both customers and yourself and largely just generally, then stick to your lane and be prepared, be happy enough to build on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just keep building, Just keep building, keep building. You don't have to take over the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And there is a temptation there when you enjoy success, and I'm sure you've seen this in your own career. When you enjoy your success, you think you can apply that success to other industry ruggles. They say, yeah, all that sort of stuff. You know, and success is a drug, you know, and when you're doing well, you know, you feed off that and sometimes it can lead you astray. Yeah, and remembering how you started, remembering what you're good at, sticking to that, being happy and comfortable and content with that is a bit of a skill and a learned skill. Yeah. Yeah, thanks for mauch chnthen my pleasure. Thank you, Mark,