Speaker 1: We've got a good mate of you or was joining us in the studio this morning.
Speaker 2: Last I am very excited.
Speaker 3: He's one of my favorite chefs from some of our favorite restaurants here in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Scott Picket, good morning.
Speaker 4: Morning Jase everyone. How are we.
Speaker 1: Great ambience in your restaurants? Yes, I like I like it. Dimly lit lane, it takes me from a ford to a solid seven, doesn't it dark?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And you as in you, not the restaurant, not the restaurant.
Speaker 4: I look better. And he's any numbers or inches shot, he's got you there telling you or a fool's okay, I suppose this top of the day.
Speaker 3: Heye, Scott, we are coming up to the festie season. Now we've a rulled on this show. You can't say the C word or we have to play Mariah Carey, so tread very carefully.
Speaker 4: I removed that from my public speaking repertoire about twelve years ago. There was an intervention. I didn't agree, but I now agree.
Speaker 3: Hey, it is coming up to a busy season where lots of people are cooking for their families at home. On the twenty fifth of December, what is the key to the perfect lunch.
Speaker 4: Two choices either dining one of my restaurants it's open the contient Sorento, or chance you're Laye and Matilda do Christmas lunch.
Speaker 3: What's funny you say that because this year Clint is going out for dinner.
Speaker 4: A lot of people do it. A lot of people started doing it. We find now we only do the three that we've kind of done over the years. They sell out. People rebook on the way out the door. No cleaning arm. Don't have tory about it. You two and a half hours with the in laws. If you don't like them, not all day, you get a different car. It's out. It takes a lot of bottles.
Speaker 2: If you are cooking at home.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I was. I was talking about these earliens before. I've been cooking a home and family spread and what we do. I do a kind of big buffet and I've been doing them for about fifteen years because the first two or three the family were all like, we'll do what everyone will bring a plate. After that became a nightmare.
Speaker 3: So after you through negotiation over who's doing what his heck he's.
Speaker 4: Doing for the brawns, but I paying p tato, I said, you know what, I'll pay it for the roll. I'll do it all more giving me the hebgb's on the Christmas Day. I want to enjoy it rather than we see like that was a good bode. I pull that back and so I do it myself now. But it's all about being prepared. It's all about having everything ready as best you can by five o'clock, chrispers Eve. So I will slow roast my beef over nine at sixty seventy degrees in the oven. I will slow roast my pork. I will have my turkey on the steam. I will have all my knees on plus or my preparation ready.
Speaker 1: Question help me, it's on plus when you say excuse you, when you say slow overnight, yes, right, actually putting it on.
Speaker 4: Well, it's all about core temperature, right, And so most of these ages would have would have it like a like a bot and oven, and then they can set the seventy or eighty and they'll have a probe that you put in your whole little b for your whole shoulder of pork. Now, it's kind of like kind of cryback or CV cooking. But it's all about out. The more you drop the temperature. Then the longer than it takes to cook, it's rather cook it at two hundred, you cook it at sixty takes you twelve or fourteen an hours.
Speaker 2: Mind the idea of that.
Speaker 4: It's just low and slower. It's like if you think if you braise a beef cheek for twenty four hours slowly rather than two hours fast, it's the same as a pork, and so much shoulder of pork I will get four days beforehand. I will dry it out, I will leave it in the fridge for a couple of days, and then night before I will rub it with all and salt and easy. I'll go hard and fast for an hour and get the crackling, and they'll drop it right down. And I slowly braise the meat for twelve fourteen hours. And so I've got two ovens at home, and look can be different temperatures. And that's the meat done. Then you know, because it's summer, only five of prawns and six noise. I do lobs of seafood pre cool ready the fridge on platters.
Speaker 2: I want an invite to your hand, one hundred.
Speaker 4: And fifty a head for you losds.
Speaker 1: I know a guy, I can get it for you too. Where do we sit on the duck fat? But ptatoes still a thing?
Speaker 4: Do you not use the fat grit? You could use the rendering fat from the pork, from the duck whatever. And again with the potatoes. I pre boil purple by potatoes a day before, I lay them on a tray and.
Speaker 2: I'm drying them over the nice potato.
Speaker 4: Well, the potatoes, when do you talk about the duck fat ones? That's like the thrice cook favorite chi but it's in the wedge like my Nn used to do. Why did you have that dripping bowl in the back of the corner, the whites Arabic bowl everyone gre ut with. Yeah, of all the fat, right, but she would boil them their dry them overnight. And so the only thing that I'm going to do in the morning is actually the roast bench. And I've got my sparagus ready that I put on the barbie when I have my beer. I've got my potato salad that's cooked and done. But I've got the dress exceptarate the herbst prayer. Right, just throw two in the morning at eleven o'clock with on our ears. I'm just plating stuff up I've got my cocktail sauce, I've got my jelly, I've got all my garnage. There I'm starving. And then I've got the Pavlova mad already Pavlova and Christy books and then that's easy. So I've got the buffet. Try for.
Speaker 1: Maybe he said something close to her heart, the mint, jelly, lamb.
Speaker 4: If you do lambs, shoulder whatever, do a slow cut of braize beer, serve them all in the middle.
Speaker 3: I'm rattled by doing the potatoes the day before, but I'm going to try it. Try and I'm going to buy twice as many potatoes.
Speaker 4: Well, the only thing is if you wanted to cook them, they'll go gray overnight. It's actually better to overcook them. Answer the theory with a thrice cook potato. It's the outside it's overcooked. The inside is lovely and cool. Then he kind of gets rid of the moors chat. But when you put it through the tray that overcook soft. This kind of gets that mushy, crispy, crunchy bit did you get off those potato? So it's about having everything ready, ham sliced on platters, all my cold carts, and I'm ready to go.
Speaker 2: So it's really to your morning, isn't too stressed?
Speaker 4: No, No, I used to go. I used to do a Christmas morning with the kids, and I'm going to the restaurants for a few hours and then I'd come back at like one and thirty and everyone arrived at one, and then from one thirty till two thirty, I'd like the barbecue get ready, and we'll have lunch at two two thirty after everyone's done their day, and an afternoon thing.
Speaker 5: Hey, Tom, we love dining at your restaurants, especially Tom. The other show about Tom Parker Bowls and partying with Tom Barker park Sleeve and I.
Speaker 3: Went to one of Scott's dinners at Long Grain and lo and behold there's Tom Parker Bowls as in Camilla Parker Bowls, a son who is a very famous food critics a.
Speaker 4: Tom Tom.
Speaker 5: They love going out on the town together and Tom's quite a party.
Speaker 2: Board really danced with him months before more than once.
Speaker 4: Loss. He actually keeps asking about you when he messages me. It's actually it's funny. So Tommy and I said, I was recently awarded a French knighthood ticket. Now, well, I am sure in this country in French amship earlierly Digui because dig is my nickname in French as Digois and Chevalier is knight in French. The weird thinking about this is so this leads me the tom Tom's message of me because he saw it all stuff and he goes, oh my god, you want to like a French knight would up. This is amazing. And I was good only going through because I didn't know anything about the awards. And I've deleted the four invited emails from the French embassy.
Speaker 2: You think, well, I get him?
Speaker 4: Are you getting He invites all the time to the jepany try you know, try a new so all the French, you know, try for the embassy and I deleted five of them until Gabrielat called me toulate me yeah, And then I had to go through my deleted box and find.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, oh jeez, this is a and so then to.
Speaker 4: Leave my Michelle, myself, gabri Gat and people, Yeah you got it. I'm the first Australian to get it, but the last non Frenchman to be awarded, which is is a I Roni. He's Tommy's stepdad. In ninety seven, who was then Prince Charles is now king. So he's reading and I'm sitting. He goes, oh, my certain file there was the last one to receive the wall to go very.
Speaker 2: Well, Charles have something in common.
Speaker 4: Well aside from being well, aside from being mates with Tommy if.
Speaker 2: You and Tom Barks are very good friends.
Speaker 3: Have you ever been to Buckingham Palace or a royal family function?
Speaker 4: I haven't, but last time so good mane of mine Brett Graham, that's a naussy and it's going to rest on in London called the library just got three Michelin stars. The first Australian over me. Tom. You know, Tommy knows all the boys I know in London because we're going the same time with the food cuitt He knows all the chefs. Those are the guys. Okay, we always have dinner at the library. One year to the day, last year after Becau's door. Yeah, Tom and I were sitting on a library and we'll catch up with Brede because we go back twenty five years and I've beat in France for this competition and then Breddie comes out. We have a chat. One year lady to the day gets he said, star already calls me because we go back twenty five years and introduced him to his wife and my mate. I'm jexting my mate, are you two big born? How to call the giggar like playing? Calls me, here's a right, and then he gets a bullocking. He's checking out of the hotel. After all, I been with the boys hell about his three stuff and I told me I at there, and he's flicking through the pictures and then he facetimes. Mom was just like, boys, well it's not like that. It's just Tommy's mom. Yeah, and then anyways gone, he's in house. Mommy, you know when how's your bummy? Going's money? My mom's really good here and your mommy, oh mommy is wonderful, very traveling at the moment, I heard myself follow very busy trailing, all right. And then he goes through to actually mom. He goes actually moms people to say hello, I want facetiming Oliverary in the corner. Oh hell is gonna hear you. You know, I great to see you, Hawai. I went again to me, Tomas to me so much about it. Another beginning, he's I love Ansie barbecue.
Speaker 2: You can be you know, what have you done a barbecue?
Speaker 3: I did?
Speaker 4: I was leaving at least it just last year two days later, but maybe this year. But we're face timing and it's just like Tommy's mom's like a normal person.
Speaker 1: Hello, is that whi Tommy's mum?
Speaker 4: And that's what she said, she said, because.
Speaker 2: We're always say.
Speaker 4: She's funny and his licking three pictures right, it was just after the coronation and he showed me pictures his children were. She's like third floor out of bucket and palace window and she said, with rollers in her hair, screaming at Tommy's kids running around because I don't want to put those times on and he's like all the pictures.
Speaker 5: It's like mother like a son. Because you've been to revs with tom do you think do you think Camilla might fancy a night on the town at.
Speaker 4: Revsan maybe when she was back in Tommy and I'm sure went to Surprise clubs the other day. But he's a wonderful man. But it's normal for us. It's normal because you know when you film I was, you know, I met Tommy seven or eight years ago and we're kind of like the odd couple and I call him the English boge and well spoken well and you came from me to new English booger just because you sound poshed digger from Kangurilla Mane and you're like a where are you from?
Speaker 2: So you're an unlikely couple.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's odd couple. That's what he probably likes. That's probably what he likes. And the weird thinking is our birthdays are two days apart.
Speaker 2: You like brothers from another mother, both.
Speaker 1: Called Camilla mumsy. And now before we let you.
Speaker 3: Go, now there is a worldwide competition to find the world's best chef.
Speaker 2: And you are judge.
Speaker 4: Yes, well I'm actually the Australian President and I am a judge. I'm the tasting judge. So the president sits down largest cooking competition of the world that's held every two years by in France and Leon started in eighty seven by probably the grandfather of French Cuisibis to Paul Beacus himself. I represented an Australia in five the previous president. It's very special year for us this year, so I represented five. By twentyear anniversary, the ex president Tom represented Australia at ninety five. The current candidate or the chef that's going this year. Dan Arnold his chef because he worked in France for seven years. Viera won my year and No. Five had two Michelin stars just outside of Lego bro He Stevie Stevie Stevie Vinz. He won in my year and he passed away eighteen months ago. Dan was going to do it again. Dan's now going from coach to chef. And then Philip Michelle has come out of retirement because he was the protege of Bistols when he was at Paulus and so there's and then Dan gets an assistant. His comedy chef is Tom's son. Just by chance, we have so top twenty four chefs from each one per country compete. We've got Thomas Cala, you have Brett Gray and clear with Gordon Ramsey goes. It's the biggest thing in the world now, the biggest cooking competition in the world. It's like the Culinary Olympics. We go there. We need fundraising support. I hope it's not really known in this country.
Speaker 2: But itsters. We must go to France.
Speaker 1: Now we are talking, let's go.
Speaker 4: If he comes to next to me, normally I have the French president on the left and the Danish on the right. But you can take this, imagine the small talk at that there is.
Speaker 2: I don't think we'd fit in.
Speaker 4: I don't think so. My Danish is terrible. My friends, that's about it.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining Scott Hey.
Speaker 1: For more info on Scott's restaurants.
Speaker 2: Keep reading that absolutely not to do.
Speaker 4: There's a big websites go pickure group. Check it well out there, there's eight or nine. We're busy till Christmas, but the coffee is paving over summer. I'm just called lost if you need a table.
Speaker 2: And she'll get it's got group dot com.
Speaker 4: Are you thanks helping us out? Cheeze Wayne, thanks very much.
Speaker 3: Laps feeling good on one hundred l
Speaker 4: Socials MHM