Speaker 1: My Boris and this is straight talk. Well, you know Australians loved this company, Well they did love this company, Joe Aston. Well, straight talk mate.
Speaker 2: Ok, thanks for having me, and I'm glad I got the memo on the Morris uniform. But the pants fade, Well, you're shooting from the waste up. Correct, No one can see that you're George Orwell said. This is one of my favorite quotes. Journalism is publishing something that someone doesn't want to be published, and anything else is public relations. This book is about how Quantus influences all politicians because this has been going on for forty years. Quantus managed to rip two point seven billion dollars of subsidies out of the Morrison government. After that they convinced the Morrison government not to say Virgin Australia with the financial lifeline. They're the biggest recipient of Job Keeper and then they are legally sacked people. Their power is immense no matter who is in government, because I think it's important established Joe Eston.
Speaker 1: So I hope you don't mind me asking those sort of questions.
Speaker 2: That just got worse and worse.
Speaker 1: And well, straight talk mate, Mark.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me, and I'm glad I got the memo on the Morris uniform, but the pants made I got you're shooting from the waiste.
Speaker 1: Up correct, no one can see that you're actually and then making congratulations on your book has been like a I think it's a huge success. I mean, what does a huge success mean for you in relations to this book?
Speaker 2: Well, look, for me, a huge success would be if the public finally understood exactly what Quantus had done to the country, you know, to its customers, to its loyal customers, and you know it's a national carrier. Of course, if that sunk in, if everyone understood exactly how big and intentional and how much of it. Yeah, if that, if that became clear to the public, I'd be very happy. That's sort of what I'm trying to do.
Speaker 1: Of course, you're talking about today today we'll call the Chairman's Lounge, which I'll have to admit I'm a member of it, but I'm also I'm also in a verge of VRP one too, and you're also not a politician for politician and this, but I think what's in we will talk and park it a little bit of money, but we will talk a little bit about the alb and easy partner all this, but like that's to me, that's what I've been done to death. This is what you have underneath the heading is it says the inside story of how Quantus sold us out. And we've got lots of and there's lots of well known people like Adel Ferguson's et cetera and Kate McClement who have read the book I must have read before publishing, have given a big rap Quantus sold us out, Conus being a national carrier, Contus being a monopoly in Australia, you know, virgins sort of sort of competent but not really mooly effective monopoly. What was the objective? Mate? You know you've taken yourself. You were retired effectively from the AFR where you ran many many years and talk about a bit later the rear window. And you're great at the In fact, I think you're the best ever to write in that area. Took a couple of years off, got married to a couple of kids, I had a kid, wrote this book What's the Deal?
Speaker 2: So I didn't really plan to do I really didn't plan to do it.
Speaker 1: So it didn't stop working, to stop wing to write the book.
Speaker 2: And in fact, when the publishers came to me with a book deal around the time that I was pulling the pin at the AFL last October, I just straight away said absolutely no way. I didn't leave to do exactly what I've been doing for the previous twelve months, which is writing about Alan Joyce and Quantus. But you know, after a few weeks off, some people aren't very good at doing nothing. And you know, although I had every intention of resting and oh and obuse he's had a nice little break, but very quickly I was like, I need something, and it felt hard to be. What I then saw, I suppose is Quantus trying to just you know, PR wash the whole thing. Alan Joyce had gone, Vanessa Hudson had taken over. They just sort of tried to make out like nothing had happened. And I thought, this all needs to be put in one place so the public can not be hoodwinked into thinking that this was all just a bit of an accident, a couple of small mistakes and a bit of a bit of a bit of a PR storm that wasn't really based on anything I wanted. I thought, no, this has to all be done properly, because it's not like, you know, Quantus didn't burn its loyalty, it didn't burn its reputation overnight. It wasn't a couple of decisions in the last six months before Alan Joyce left. This is something that started to happen even before COVID and that's not been properly understood. So that was sort of my motivation, and I was just so happy that I had nothing else.
Speaker 1: To do well unfortunately for Quantus. But I guess I know I've known you when you're a Rewindow and you know you're an investigative journalist, but you also have a certain style of writing, which you would obviously be aware of. You have a style of writing that probably made rewindo one of the reasons most people bought the Aha. I mean, you're not You don't have to say yes or no. But I know a lot of people only buy it because today, especially or back then, back when you're writing, is because they wanted to either make sure they weren't being written about it, or terms they want to see who you were writing about and if in any way they had any shoe or form, any reputational risk, And effectively you're an investigative journalist. The way I look at it, you investigate issues or people and you start writing about it. Where does that drive come from?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 1: That process, the thinking process? I mean, what's behind that? Joe? Like, why do you like to do this? What is it? Do you look at something that's unfair or you think it's an issue needs to be raised, or someone's getting away with something and it needs to be put out there? What's the deal?
Speaker 2: It's a really good question. It evolved like I didn't get into journalism to sort of like being mister truth seeker. That was not I didn't have some sort of self righteous subjective. I got into journalism mainly because it looked like so much fun. You know, it looked like accurately, it looked like what you got to do is go out to lunch with people you know and get them to tell you things that they shouldn't tell you, and then write them. And you know, I've enjoyed making mischief and that suited me. But you know, over time, you would get bored, as anyone does in their career if they just keep doing the same thing, Like if you work for a big company, you might move around into different roles but I just was stuck on the one column. But I was thankfully given the creative freedom to go from sort of writing a column which was just like have a laugh at this person or being a bit of a hypocrite, to in a light way, or even just gossip about who was out with who and who's talking to who. But I was able to, you know, I was given the freedom to change that and to become more of a commentator and more of an investigative commentator. It was quite an unusual format. It's hard when like if I talk to journals who are mates in New York or in London, and they sort of you try and explain what real window is. It's quite hard because there's nothing.
Speaker 1: There's no other president, nothing well, there's not really anything overseas that you could absolutely directly compare it to because it's sort of it's sort of gossip, but increasingly it's commentary, but it's also news, and it's also satire, you know, or comedy, you know, so satires. In the writing the writing style, you're quite brilliant. I mean optoty before, but you're quite brilliant in the way you're writing style. It's very readable, but it's fun too. Like sat this sort of bit has to have a bit of fun associated with it.
Speaker 2: It's also quite an Australian thing to laugh at people who take themselves too seriously. You know, people who get laughed at, they don't like it. They call it the tall poppy syndrome. But actually what it's doing is just you know, holding a mirror up to people who are being pretentious or obnoxious or whatnot. And there's a little bit of it in Britain, but definitely in the US journalism they do not get it because they take themselves very seriously, the journalists, not just the people they're writing about.
Speaker 1: So do you think you're the rear window style when you're writing It was a fairly unique proposition relative to who, you know what other journalistic newspapers around the world, especially at the AFI level on a national level. Something that's so much impact is that what you would say that was unique. It got to that point where I think it was unique. And the reason that is is like, it wasn't just have a laugh. It was have a laugh, but underneath these laughs, look at the serious thing that's here, Look at all the data that's in there, Look at all the evidence and the research that's done, and that's what a lot of big businesses. Business people couldn't fight off. They couldn't laugh it off because you know, sure it.
Speaker 2: Was sure as humor, but behind it was really serious issues. And that's how I campaigned on big companies like Rio Tinto and Magellan and Alex Malley at the CPA and remembers him. And then of course there was PwC last year, which I was part of a team that was working on that. And then finally Quantus, and I think Quantus thought they could just laugh it off. It's it's just red window, it's just gossip, and that's what a lot of people try to do. But increasingly the columns had were pointing out with a lot of data stuff that was inconsistent about their behavior, particularly towards customers and staff. And they found that they that was an error that they thought they could just brush it away, try and shut it down, laugh it off. It was it stuck to them.
Speaker 1: So it's interest us. You say data, Joe, because what I think what you mean by data is you mean evidence. Yeah, proper, proper evidence. And a mutual front of ours told me once that many years ago when you were writing earlier that this guy referring to you is very good again these facts? How do how does someone like you get your facts? I mean, like, what's the process? How do you build? And like, let's say you've got to write a let's take this back to read window days and let's say you know, there's an expectation you've got to write a column every.
Speaker 2: Day five or six days a week five But you know I had quite a few days off in between. Don't worry. By the end I was not doing many weeks where it was five.
Speaker 1: But in the early days, Yeah, so you're got to get you've got to yarn out and you shared it. There was just just you, but there was a shared and another there's another journalist in that territory, and you've got to get a yarn out every day. That's like it would seem to me you've got to have at least five you might have to have ten or twenty topics going at once.
Speaker 2: What would you Yeah, because of course when you when you see it come out, that doesn't not I might have been working on that for three or four Days're sort of juggling all these balls because when will you be able to prove that one versus that one, and they're all bubbling away. It's like trying to cook, like a do a dinner party, a chess count once it's correct.
Speaker 1: So what's the process? Like, Like, I mean, where do you get your ideas from.
Speaker 2: A lot of the time, you've got to be talking to people all the time, and it's on the phone, and you've got to be face to face with people because people you got to build trust with people, and you know, people need you to prove that you can be trusted. You've got to have a track record of protecting people that you're just do with information, Yes, exactly the source, But I increasingly over time I moved more into like, let's get documents, let's look at financial documents, and let's let's look at what people say, look at transcripts of what things have been said versus now what they're doing, and look for the discrepancies between those things, because of course, relying on what someone says to you and what multiple people say to you versus what someone else says disagrees, and it all relies on human accounts of things.
Speaker 1: Also agendas and opinions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's always hard, right because you know, people are always calling you up saying guess what I'll tell you, and they tell your abs and you always have to think, what is this person's motivation? Are they acting because they're outraged that something something bad is happening here, or are they just trying to settle a score with someone that's happening all the time. And by the way, just because someone's trying to settle a score doesn't mean that the information they're giving you is wrong, so you might still use it. But you've got to really be twigged to people's real motivations.
Speaker 1: But how did you develop that skill? And what I mean by that is did you study something or did you just study someone else? Or did you have a mental sort of sitting there ago to just check this this sort of accounts out. Do you have other resources to your availability to say, well, can someone give me the lowdown on these set of numbers?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, I mean, the great thing about being in the AFI newsroom you've got some great, some really terrific reporters and subject matter experts analys Yeah, and guys who've been there, Guys and girls who've been there for a long time. They can read accounts. They know the industries that they write about. And then you also get to know lots of shareholders of companies and they really are riding the weeds of things. Again, you've got to figure out their motivations. Are they shortening the stock or are they long the stock? And therefore they're motivated, you know, to only tell one side of the story. It's everyone's you're always watching, but just being in that spot and as sort of became more high profile, you get access to the best people and they you know, the great thing about that job is you pick up the phone to like top top people and they answer and they're happy to talk to you mostly Yeah, and unless they're the subject matter, yeah, well even still a lot of the time they will. But that's the quality access to two experts that obviously that allows you to just supercharge your learning curve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you actually limit the more powerful you get or not the powerful probably not the right word. The more the more content that you've created and the more feathers you've ruffled, does that then start to create a bit of a chasm for you in that people going to say, oh, I'm not going to talk to him, because if I talk to him, I could be included in this story. Do you get people start to be scared of you or give you.
Speaker 2: That birth Yeah, I think that definitely happens. It's a hard job if you do it properly. And I've sort of said before you can't be a good journalist if you need to be popular or if you want to be popular. And that's hard because we all, I think naturally are wired to want to be popular. Yeah, we want to be like yeah and no one sort of some people do, but not many people are wired to enjoy conflict. But ultimately, your job is to publish. George Orwell said this is one of my favorite quotes. Journalism is publishing something that someone doesn't want to be published, and anything else is public relations. And so ultimately, if you're doing journalism properly, you're writing something that the person you're writing it about doesn't want out there, and so you're doing something that they don't want. And so I really struggled with this in the early years, because.
Speaker 1: You talk about pre Rewindow.
Speaker 2: Or during the early years of writing Rear Window, you know, I really struggled with sort of I was quite afraid to answer the phone to someone that was angry I was quite afraid to call someone up and say, I have this negative information about you, what do you say about it? And that led me to make mistakes.
Speaker 1: Are you timid? Naturally timid?
Speaker 2: At that point, I think I had a lot of false bravado, which means well, it means that I was pretending not to be timid. But I was very conflict avoidant, which is not unnatural. It was really quite overwhelming at times, but I got better at that, and if you lean into it, it gets better before.
Speaker 1: What makes you better at it then, so practicing.
Speaker 2: It, you know, instead of hiding under the doner, you just make yourself pick up the phone and have the hard conversation and look into someone's eyes and say, this is not personal. This is about the issue. This is not about the personality. Did this happen or did it not happen? This is what I think about this. Tell me what you think. Even if you disagree with me, tell me what you think, and I can still go away and say, no, I still think what I think. I disagree with your perspective. I'm still going to write it the way I was going to. But that process is important and really unnatural on a human level. Because you know, you walk around and you've said said lots of negative things about people, and people understandably hate you, and how do you not let that eat away at you? You just have to be really certain that you being fair and that you you know that your position is strong from where you're standing, and then you just have to let that for the rest of that go.
Speaker 1: Do you have to pick a higher order? In other words, sort of say, look, I'm doing this for a it's important that people know about this truth or these these facts, this content is data that that is important. Well the people read my column or is it more Australians whatever. You might have a different view on that, but tell me that I like that answer that who is it? Who is it that you're trying to take down the road to the truth. And when it comes to that as well, you have to take a view that it's so important that I don't care whether I upset the individual I'm unning.
Speaker 2: About exactly exactly, that's exactly what you have to do. And like there's a good bit in my book where Greg Hywood, who used to be the CEO of Fairfax, he was talking to Alan Joyce. Because Alan Joyce obviously went to war last year with the AFR and pulled the AFI at a LAM member. Yeah. But the thing people have probably forgotten is that ten years before that he did the same thing to the Citny Morning Herald in the Age and he pulled all those papers out of the airports and canceled the advertising of quantas in those newspapers because adel Ferguson had written that he should resign because he just delivered a record loss. And Greg high would called him. This is in the book, Greg I would called him when he found out that Alan was pulling the advertising, and he said, you know, do you realize that like this journalism that we reproduce is what keeps society functioning. And you know by pulling advertising like this, you're threatening. What you're doing is you're threatening the free press, which is how we keep this country together. And when you think about it, it all sounds so high and mighty. And I understand if people out there are rolling their eyes going, oh you think that you know what you do is so holier than now, because I would roll my eyes too. And we also all tell ourselves these stories about ourselves to make ourselves feel better about what we do. You know, so what I do is so important for the public, and so you know, I put my hand up there. But if you do think about it without journalism like Adele Ferguson's or Headley Thomas's or Kate mcclemon's or many others Neil Channelworth like you, powerful people do not stop and pause before they do something that they shouldn't do. You know, that's it's the existence of people like them who cause powerful people to go I won't steal, I won't lie, I won't cheat because I might get caught. And if there was no press holding them to account, there'd be all sorts of I mean, society would break down. So it is an important thing. Like so you've got to do it?
Speaker 1: Do you have to remind yourself of that? Because if you're just written a story about somebody and then on the phone they're blowing up and their wife rings you, and the p our agency rings you, and every other person rings you did it any stage when you go home, you think, oh my god, what a crappy night. This was a pre marriage because you know, when you're married, you have a partner, it's probably a bit easy. You can sort of feel a bit more comfortab your home, in your family. But let's say you go on home on your own or hanging out with whoever you're living with the time, do you ever get to the point where the fuck like this is this is this is so hectic? Yeah, just out of me. Oh.
Speaker 2: Countless times I've said what am I doing this?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: What is? Countless times I've said, like, there's got to be an easier way to make a buck. Yeah, And I let me assure you there is. And so it is sort of a toil of love. You wouldn't be a journalist if you didn't love love it, you know. Yeah, if you didn't love doing it, you don't certainly don't do it for other reasons because the pressure is high. And yeah, in the end, that's why I decided to leave the AFR. I mean, there were a few different reasons, but one of the big reasons was I just got to the point where I was like, there's a lot of just accumulated hostility. You walk into a room and everyone just wants to kill me, and you just think, might just I might just need a bit of a break. I might you know, I might just need acquie a life for a bit. Unfortunately, this book didn't this book, Yeah, exactly, tell me about it.
Speaker 1: One of the things that probably results from prior to this book, that results from the position you're in, is that you will make powerful enemies and powerful friends. And I know that you have powerful friends. How do you manage the old no fear and no favor sort of position in relation to that? How do you in your own mind? How do you reconcile that? Do you just say, well, if something comes your way that you probably feel like, I don't want to have to write about this, good by as human hure, I would be that person you might do you hand it over somebody else? What do you do?
Speaker 2: Like? That's yeah, that's that's hard. And you know you can be the subject of criticism about this, so well, why an't you writing about this? Why you didn't say anything about that person? And you thought of sort of think, well, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's some sort of dirty favor or something like that, but you're.
Speaker 1: Allowed to make the choice signed you as a journalist.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't I think so, But I would also understand. Look, I just don't want to be a hypocrite, right and say, how do you criticize me I'm open to criticism on that. Like you do. You're still a human being. You still make friends, and the thing about being a journalist is you then develop sources, and at some point sometimes you get to a point where you've gone over that line where you're just in way too deep with someone. You have access to all of their personal life and secrets, and they trust you and they confide in you, and you sort of go, I'm beyond a journalists a journalist with this person now, and you just have to give it a wide birth professionally and.
Speaker 1: Give that personal why birth professionally.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I have done, and I think there's people who do it differently and they continue to write about that person but only positively. And I have not done that or tried very hard not to do that, So you sort of but you still don't. You still get a bit of a hard time from people because you don't write it about the moment. What are you meant to do?
Speaker 1: Just attack them as hard as you can and you're not allowed to have any personal relationships. But I get the criticism. You know, like people are always looking for you to be inconsistent, and it is an inconsistency to say, you know, to hit this person, that person, that person, but not that person and that person. But it's sort of a been unfair to expect a person, someone like yourself or anybody to come home and come home on a front of yours like you've got to live them You've got to your journalist world, but you've got to live a life too, And all of a sudden, you've got your friends. You're not going to go around telling everybody what happened at the barbecue exactly, like why would you? And by the way, I don't think any journalists would do. You think there's an expectation there by consumers of your stuff, readers. The expectation is that if you're going to be that person on one occasion, you're going to be that person on all occasions. You're going to be consistently at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I think there probably are some readers who had unreasonable expectations about that, And I think then there would be other readers who understand that it's a human it's a human being, you know, at the at the tiller doing this, and so they're going to have some human needs and human weaknesses and human preferences. And like, not only do you need to have friends in the world, you also need to have sources, and that that is also a transaction in some ways where you go, well, is this a source relationship or is this a potential subject? And it's all a bit of a gray area.
Speaker 1: To be carevil. I'm burn it because it might be correct.
Speaker 2: But is it hypocritical not to burn it. Is it more important to burn this person because they've done the wrong thing than it is to maintain them as a source of information? That's a really hard transaction internally, which which you know I've grappled with many times.
Speaker 1: Did you ever get into the position where because clearly you're playing the man not the ball here, like.
Speaker 2: That's your job in the case, I mean, I would contest that. Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I've made mistakes where I have played the man, but when I'm playing I think I'm playing the ball and the person with the ball for what they're doing with the ball, you know, like I'm not right again. I can imagine someone's going to say, what about that time? And you know you've made I've made mistakes, but usually ninety nine times out of one hundred it's this person. I'm not attacking that person because they're fat or thin, or they're they're you know, Asian or Jewish or you know, like it's the idea is it's what they're doing in their job and what they're doing with shareholder funds or what they're doing in public office. So you know, okay, I put humor on top of that and have a laugh about it, and you know that. People then say, oh, well, then you're playing the man. But I don't know that that's accurate. Do you think people should get I mean, if it's just a one off story or with two off stories, as opposed to was The Champan's Lounge, which was a whole book, and by the way, that was that's just the book the comminator at the end of a process, because you'd already been going at Cornus for quite a while, as probably correctly you know, as you have done in the past with other entities of other groups. Do you think that most people who read your column when they're written about for example, I've been written about your column. I don't know if it was about by you, but by others. Do you think they shouldn't they should if it's just once or twice this dude, get over it. Don't worry about it. Like it's what do you think about that? What do you think people should say? Well, the subject should say, who cares? What do you want to do?
Speaker 2: Well? I mean I want them to look at the issue. You know, if you criticize someone.
Speaker 1: But it's just say as a fun thing, a bit of a oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then you hope that they laugh it off and it's all just a bit of light entertainment. But if someone is ripping off their customers, or they're saying one thing and doing another, they're being a hypocrite, then I would hope that what they do is look at their behavior and think about the criticism that's being made. But it's also hard to do that because when people are under attack, they switch quite often from rational to emotion. Cortersol jumps in yeah, and that's very hard to think straight. And so you sort of have to give people that that sort of what's the word I'm going for?
Speaker 1: Would I jo Asi could not think of a bloody word.
Speaker 2: You sort of have to give people that.
Speaker 1: Leeway's words I've ever met. I don't believe. I can't believe the word. Eventually if you're writing it to be written, or you're timing it a big twenty words out.
Speaker 2: Why I like writing because I can sit there and you know, craft the perfect sentence, and everyone thinks I'm so great with English language. But then when you get me in front of my microphone, you realize I'm just to crack a little camera, spressing myself.
Speaker 1: So so and just on that. Your style of writing, Look, I don't really remember you when you first kicked it off, but iert remember towards the end. Your style of writing was very fluid, easy to read, very easy to read. It was it was entertainment. Did you Is this something that you you worked on to become good at or was that something you've always been? Were you like at UNI doing this sort of.
Speaker 2: Stuff or at school? You're right in the end, I was a speech writer professionally. Before I write, I worked as a journalist and your speech right for so James Hogan, the SEO of Etty had Airways, the airline that I worked for. After I worked for Quantas and before I started at the APA, and I read a lot. So I spent my twenties buried in novels. Not so much nonfiction, but I just loved literature, and I actually dreamed that I could be a novelist. Unfortunately that was a pipe dream. But that is a really good basis, and if you continue to read, I really love other people's great writing, and I'm always underlining phrases and just thinking about how other people render the English language. But the other part of it is you just get good at something you do every day. You know, it's nothing. It's absolutely no different to going and benching four times a week in the gym. Progressive overload as sitting at your desk writing eight hundred words a day for the public for public consumption. Do that for twelve years, and you'll have a big chest and you have a great writing style.
Speaker 1: But Joe, you'll be very modest, because as long as my butt points to the ground, i could be pressing every day for the next ten years and I'll never lift one hundred and forty kilos. And you know that your style of writing is sort of one hundred and forty killo territory. And so there's got to be a talent in there as well. As I love it, you must love it. I must be lucky to have some natural talent. That's I'll probably admit that, yeah, yeah, because there's some guys down the gym made, you know, and they and I could start on the same day, do the same weights for the next ten years, and they definitely would be lifting more than me in the period down the track And do you run? Do you feel as though, sometimes though, in terms of language and style of writing, that the satire that you attached to these things. Do you ever think like I didn't get too hard on a person in a ridiculous like, I hope that don't. It was a feel ridiculed because when you're writing a book, it's more facts. You've got a lot more time. Totally, when you're writing a column, you've got to make it piffy and blah blah.
Speaker 2: I agree with that, and that's part of the frustration I'm just grappling with is that people understandably are pulling out little sections of the book now and really like obsessing about them. And that's all fine, but you sort of think if you really look at the whole thing, there's a lot more going on and a lot more you know, a lot of research and a lot of context, and definitely in a column you can't get anything you can't get everything in. It can be to dense either, No, because you want people to just enjoy it. So look, well, when your original question was do you worry that someone will feel ridiculed? It depends if they've done something ridiculous. And in many cases when I was writing about someone, they had done something ridiculous. And people should be laughed at if they do something ridiculous, especially with shareholder money or public money. So but yeah, look there are times where you go, I'll tell you what changed. At the beginning, I was trying to make a splash. I was young, I was immature, you know, I was writing about stuff that was just a bit yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was a bit infantile, like I was, you know, making jokes about mummy bloggers and you know, getting involved in cultural crap around you know, whether Julia Gillard was you know, was being treated unfairly as a woman or wasn't being and treated unfairly. And I just looked back and go that that was not the most important thing that was going on in Australia, but it was. It was.
Speaker 2: It was that was just my level of competence at the time. I'm embarrassed a but I think as it developed, I was able to ensure and again there were exceptions, unfortunately, but I was able to focus on, you know, trying to punch up, you know, always make sure that if I was going after someone that was someone who was more powerful than I was.
Speaker 1: And I got.
Speaker 2: Better at that. Not perfect, but I got better at that as I went along.
Speaker 1: You've got to get onto the book because I think it's important established Joe Aston. So I hope you don't mind me asking those sort of questions because I saw your interviewed on seven thirty Report this week and I felt like, you know, I'm not having a go with Sarah Ferguson, but I just felt as though, given the times she had to interview you, I felt aso it was given that I know you, I thought it was an unfair discussion. I just and I actually felt like you were quite guarded in that.
Speaker 2: Mate, if you sit down with Sarah Ferguson totally, She's a tremendous interviewer.
Speaker 1: And doesn't work homework, and I get it, and I just didn't think that was a good expression of Joe of yourself. One of the things I do want to talk to you about, just quickly is that in the process of meeting lots of people, you have got lots of lunches. The danger of that is that you become a lush ye drinking eating, blah blah blah. I know you're five years sober. I think years five and a half years sober. Just take us through that, and what's that process like.
Speaker 2: Well, our mutual friend David Ginjol was the first person who said to me in twenty thirteen, which is about six years before I actually stopped drinking, that I needed to do something about my drinking.
Speaker 1: He was a boss Channel mine.
Speaker 2: Then it was yeah, yeah, exactly before the merger with I was still doing stuff. We had the fin Review, had a TV show and Channel nine at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, look, I actually sort of got into journalism. Now now that I can be honest with myself and I have enough distance between it and I can now see that I got into journalism because it appealed to me that it was a job where I could start drinking in the daytime. You know, before that, I'd been in office jobs and you had to at least stay sober during the day. And then I was like, oh, you could just go out and get people drunk at lunchtime, and it was so it's unsurprising that I fell into that profession. And yeah, it just got worse and worse.
Speaker 1: But was that a process that was so in other words, did you do that to sort of soften yourself relative to the person you're having lunch with by maybe having a couple of gin and tonics earlier straight up? Or was that to get them off guard? Was that to get them into the mode?
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is it was both. But usually what happens when you become addicted to something is that you make excuses for yourself, you know, so you say, I'm doing this so that I can get the other person a bit loose, But really you're lying to yourself. What you're doing is you're just drinking because you're addicted to alcohol. Yeah, and you're doing it to cope with all the pressure that you know, you're not dealing with in a healthy way. So that just got worse and worse, and eventually I just sort of it got so bad that I had to stop or howd you do that? I just I'm sort of lucky I didn't sort of go to rehab or anything like that, but I just hit the fence. I was sick. I just got really you know, I was feeling really unwell all the time, you know, bloated, was losing my I remember, I was getting to the point where I could barely even really write anymore. And that really scared me. You know, I was sitting there, I couldn't remember what words meant, and you know, I needed a dictionary to start put together a sentence by the end, and I just realized that it was going like this really rapidly. And so it's actually in New York on a work trip, and I called my editor in chief and I said, I'm really sorry, but I need a break. I just need, I need. I'm about to disappear and for health reasons, and I don't know when I'll be back. And I came back to Australia and went and stayed at a friend's house on the Central Coast for a couple of weeks in dried out, and then just just got on with my life, trying to do it myself and with friends, surrounding myself with the right people. But work was really amazing, you know, they were very supportive. That that year, in twenty nineteen, they gave me a lot of time off and let me just get better slowly, because that's the only you don't get better fast, you know, if you do, if you thrash yourself the way I was for ten years, you don't sort of just have a day off drinking and all of a sudden year back to healthy. It takes, you know, it takes a long time for your brain to recover and for your body to recover. And now I just like life's just changed so much, and I just feel so lucky because I know lots of other people who have what I have, who don't make it.
Speaker 1: And you got married during that period or just a little bit thereafter. Yeah, later, Yeah, and you're married how many years now? Two years? And you've you've got a child?
Speaker 2: Yeah, six months old?
Speaker 1: Six months old? Congratulations, thank you. I must have to said when I first met you, I didn't think that. I just never imagined you settling down, so to speak. But I mean neither. Yeah, you were like pretty young. I don't even how old you are, but you still look really young. But forty one, well, so then this would have been I probably looked about fifty five five years ago.
Speaker 2: That's the thing.
Speaker 1: You look great at the moment. So let's god and so we got onto the book, right, So this week, you know the time, we're doing the podcast. But at the end of the week, it's all been about alban Easy and it's all been about did he make a call? Did he make a cook? And we just get some stuff cleared up straight away before we get into the rest of the book, the important part of the book. He's denied it. He said didn't make a phone call. Regaci's never really received any favors. I watched Paul Murray keep putting up on the Code of Conduct, the Parliamentary Code of Conduct, which is you know, Julia Rudd's go to conduct, Julie Gillard's co to conductor, Kevin Rudd's cod to conduct, and also Albanese co to conduct. Is the issue that he shouldn't have accepted free flights? What is it? What's the issue? What is the issue? Yeah?
Speaker 2: The reason Albanese's upgrades in particular are the focus of attention in that section of the book is because it's sort of context to understand how or sorry, it's context. How nobody can understand the Katar decision that happened last year, where you know, Quantus was in the toilet, worst customer service ever, highest airfares in living memory, and nobody none of the airlines were flying enough seats, so there was really high travel demand, really low supply of seats, and Katar puts their hands up and says, we'll fly more. We can bring in more flights right now and that will bring prices down. And by the way, Kata kept flying to Australia right through COVID when all the other airlines had packed up, and it's all on track to be approved. You know, the Transport Department's in favor of it. Catherine King verbally who's the Transport minister, verbally says, indicates to Virgin that she's in favor of it, because of course Virgin's a partner of Kata. And then all of a sudden something changes. And so that is that the relationship between alban Easy and Quantas and Alan Joyce in particular is fair game and absolutely of high interest. The thing is, there's lots of questions, like he declared those upgrades, and in some ways ironically he's being punished for being transparent about the fact that the upgrades happened. The argument is, has he been transparent about how they happened. He only now, I mean, has taken a lot of days to finally now say he didn't seek those upgrades. That's inconsistent with what I've written and inconsistent with what I know. But the fact is he was Transport Minister, so that's the unique thing. He had unique powers over the airline industry and so was that appropriate. I don't think it was. But having said that, this book is about how Quantus influences all politicians and both sides of politics, and that's really the big issue because this has been going on for forty years. And like rod Eddington says in my book, he was the CEO of Cathe Pacific in Hong Kong British Airways when they owned a quarter of Quantus, and also Anset. He was chairman of Anset before they went down the tubes. And he says, you know, Quantus is the best lobbyist in Australia, Barna. He can't think of anyone who's ever been better. And he competed with Quantus for the vast majority of his career. So many people except that Quantus has had this really powerful influence over politicians, Liberal labor, national everyone for a long time. And so you know, I'm a bit amused. I mean, it's just alb An Easy as Prime Minister today. There's nothing we can do about that. But I am a bit amused that that's the only angle that anyone's talking about, because I mean a lot of it is about how Quantus managed to rip two point seven billion dollars of subsidies out of the Morrison government. After that they convinced the Morrison government not to say Virgin Australia with a financial lifeline. So their power is immense no matter who is in government in Canberra.
Speaker 1: And is this but Jose, is it a corporates sort of have a responsibility or they definitely have a responsibility the shaholders under the corporation's law. And part of the responsibility of the shaholders under the corporations law is to make sure that they can always survive they outsurpprivors everybody else as a business, that they can maximize a profit totally in order to pay differdends back to the shoholders. And if you're given an opportunity to put yourself in a position of power or influence, whether it it's under Richard Gordon's chairman and or you know anybody else previous chairman's going right back for the last forty fifty years, you would probably do it because it's like a risk management process. What is the objection to a corporation, let's call it managing politicians the way Quantus is done.
Speaker 2: Well, there is the responsibility to shareholders, but there is the politicians responsibility to US citizens to make good policy that's good for the country and good for consumers as well. And so the problem is when Quantus is saying you can have you can all have the chairman's lounge and we're going to give you upgrades, or they get asked for upgrades by politicians, which they do often, and they give them to them. And then that what that fosters is an environment where Quantus is able to make politicians create bad policy for us as travelers, and that Catart decision is a great example. They Quantus managed to convince the government to defund the A Triple c's airline monitoring powers last year, which was again an unbelievable decision when prices were sky high. Service was terrible. REX was basically in the process of being destroyed and bonds are. So that's the issue that Quantus is absolutely entitled to and should do the best for its shareholders. And no one's saying Quantus should not make money, but it's the way they go about it is there.
Speaker 1: But today, on today's standards, do you think there's a level of at Quantus, at least from Quantus's point of view, Quantus obligations that there is a social license for them, given we give them a social license to train people, give them a social license through the government, given that there are sort of effectively their major au the only airline here, particularly when it comes overseas trouble domestically, do you think they also have a social license on top of their profit obligations in total, on top of their looking after shell obligations that they mustle of the socializnse relative to their customer base. Definitely, And because that's a new, relatively speaking, new concept socialized like banks, is that an issue?
Speaker 2: It is new in a corporate sense. However, Quantus has been more than just a company for a long time, and part of this is a hangover from the fact that it used to be owned by the government. It was only privatized in nineteen ninety five. But it's also the way they monetize the loyalty of their customers. You know, they all their advertising is about being the national carrier, the spirit of Australia. So they're very happy to use the sort of social part of their brand to make more money and to sell us tickets that are more expensive than on any other airlines for service that is quite often inferior. But then when they're expected to meet the responsibilities that come with being the national carrier not just a profit making corporation, they sort of go, oh, just a company, So they can't have it both ways, and Quantus did try and have it both ways. In COVID, you know, they shut down internationally, other airlines kept flying to Australia and there were, you know, many many Australians stuck overseas. They took COVID subsidies, lots of them, not more than foreign carriers, like American carriers got more from the American government. European carriers got equity injections from their governments, but they got big amount of subsidies, and they took job Keeper, especially they're the biggest recipient of job Keeper. And then they illegally sacked people while those people were on job keeper, and so it's the way they acted. They also started paying share buybacks, so they started returning hundreds of millions of dollars to their shareholders right after they just received billions in subsidies. And they were instead of like, instead of reinvesting in the products so that the standards were good enough, so they had their priorities all out of whack. That's not even just social license. That's just if you treat your customers so badly that you destroy your brand, then your shareholders will ultimately suffer. And even in the book, Quantus's largest shareholder says a lot of stuff, but one of the things he points out is that they were so focused on making this record profit out of COVID to prove that it was the turnaround of all turnarounds. But actually, if they just said, let's make you know, two or three hundred million dollars less this year, put that back into catering call centers, you know, putting more frontline staff in the airport terminals, you know, all those kind of things that would have made things better for customers. The share price wouldn't have collapsed as much because they wouldn't have been a public uproar. So you can try it. You can actually almost make too much money if you're too single minded about it. And that's what Quantus had under Alan Joyce before COVID. They were at this point where they had this I call it the holy trinity, which is very original, I know. But you know, customers, shareholders and staff, and they were all in this perfect balance. Quantus was making lots of money. Staff loved the company and its customers loved the company. And COVID After COVID, Alan Joe, it's just allowed that to fall completely out of whack.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's a single minded brilliance though? But the single mindedness wasn't like good, oh.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a big character study and yeah.
Speaker 1: And I'm talking about the character which is all and Joyce was, yeah, a single minded brilliance. The single minded part of it wasn't right.
Speaker 2: It wasn't. It was became problematic because his single mindedness was probably a great strength until it was no longer a strength, you know.
Speaker 1: Become an obsession.
Speaker 2: Well look I don't I wouldn't go that far, but not for you. For him, Yeah, his.
Speaker 1: Single mind us to make profit, to profit at all cost. It certainly became his overriding priority. And that's also because of his incentives because the bigger the profit, the higher share price, well theoretically, and his his pay was mostly in shairs, so he was his incentives were get the share price ramped right, And so it is a really interesting character study because it's over I go into you know, Alan Joyce turned up Quantus was sort of collapsing financially its results when he took over in the GFC. You know, he just chipped away, tried to make Quantus more efficient, got it into this pretty good position before COVID, But by the time COVID had hit, he sort of started to lose his judgment a little bit. And that happens to people like again, there's this great man theory of history and people go, well, you know, that's all a bit made up. But I think Quantus is a great example of someone who really he was there for so long, he came to dominate the organization. His chairman changed in twenty eighteen, so he went from having this really very commanding chairman in Lee Clifford, who'd run Rio tinto and really you knew who was boss between those two. Then he leaves.
Speaker 2: In twenty eighteen, Richard Goider comes in and he's a far more deferential, nice man.
Speaker 1: And hands off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think plus, Alan Joyce was much more confident by that point. He'd been there for more than a decade and he was like, no one was questioning his judgment. But the thing is with power, and this is a really an interesting psychological study. Power affects people. If you're in a powerful social status or professional status for a long time, it actually starts to affect you, just like a traumatic brain injury, as in judgment. Yeah, because you know, like normal people, I probably am not very normal, but just say I could consider myself normal. You know, we're not very important or powerful. We sit around with each other, we talk, say we're in a meeting. We're looking to each other subliminally. This isn't conscious, but subliminally we're looking to each other to coregulate each other's responses. So, you know, you laugh when I laugh, and I'll you know, grimace when you're grimace, I'll look at my shoes at the right time. And that's how that's how humans communicate. But powerful people, over time, they become detached from that process because they don't have to care what other people think. Because they're in charge.
Speaker 1: The don't have a part of the community. They form the community.
Speaker 2: They just drift away and they are not co regulated by other people, especially because everyone is inferior to them, so nobody would not laugh at their joke. Nobody says that's not funny. No one says, boss, you're full of shit. People stop saying that to them, so that the longer they're in power, it affects them progressively. And you've seen that in lots of politicians that stay in office too long. CEO should not be you know, nobody should be CEO of a large Australian company for fifteen years. It's too long. And I reckon, you know, I don't want a verbal Alan Joyce, but I reckon he would wish that he left in twenty nineteen, when he'd been there eleven years, was right before COVID hit. You know that the share price was really high. Everyone loved him, he was a hero over gay marriage, and instead the board offered him a contract extension and instead of leaving them, he stayed. And then COVID happened and the rest just got out of control.
Speaker 1: But whose responsibility is that of the board's responsibility one hundred percent the board's responsibility in relation to what the CEO is doing, because when you said something interesting, there were a moment ago. When someone's been in the role for a number of years, what they tend to do is they actually put people around them and sift out those people who are around them who don't fit into category, who are actually not gonna they're gonna laugh at their jokes, They're not going to sort of especially the business is doing well or making money, and the end will the share prices as they're going to everyone's gonna play the game sort of thing. And it seems to me, then what you're talking about here in the book, which you're you're sort of revealing, is maybe regulators need to take a great role in these things. Do you think regulators have a need to sort of say, well, you know, maybe there's a tenure period or I think that's making excuses for bad performance of boards, Like maybe the regulators got to talk to the good I think the boards need to do their jobs, and then you don't need regulators to do anything that they're not already doing, you know, like a good board at Quantas would have in twenty nineteen said eleven years is enough, it's time. Instead they gave them another contract extension. A good board would have more importantly, you know, you can argue the toss on twenty nineteen should have been twenty twenty. And then if it was twenty twenty, COVID happened and he couldn't really change the o's in the middle of a crisis. So you know, you could argue the toss on that. But what you can't argue the toss on is when Quantus was running off the rails, you know, they were in a brand crisis. They'd become toxic and because Alan Joyce had been there for so long he had come to inhabit the Quantus brand, people just he become the flying Kangaroo.
Speaker 2: Well he became the devil of you know, he almost became the devil incarnate and people hated him so much, fairly or unfairly, that's how people felt that and that wasn't just that's not not me saying I reckon. That's true. That's in the brand consumer research from Roy Morgan, rep Track, all the big research houses were finding this. What you can't argue the toss is that at that point the board of directors a quantus should have said, Alan, we need to fix some things here now, if not to get rid of him immediately, at least to say all these things need to change. COVID credits not good enough. You know, we've got to pay. We've got to settle with the bag of chandlers who we sacked illegally. Let's pay the money now and apologize, you know, a whole bunch of stuff they could have done, but instead that was just they kept Alan just kept fighting, which was his instinct, over powering instinct was always to fight. He's a real street fighter. And the board was just, well, Alan Joyce is he knows better than we do. We can't second guess him, how do you?
Speaker 1: That's interesting. So the balance between a board and the balance between the personalities on a board and the CEO. Often CEOs, generally, if they're powerful, can select them on board and or work over the chairman, whichairperson. And I'm suggesting this happened with Richard Gorder, but generally a really good CEO who's bringing good results. Put aside what happened in post COVID with the sort of demise of the brain, et cetera, and the things that were going on, and they don't want to challenge the CEO. How do you how would you say? I mean, you've you've written the book, and you know you've obviously observed a lot of stuff Midlander, great depth of anybody else in relations to this particular case study quantas, how do how do the shareholders? Then? Is it up there to shareholders to recognize what's going on and then go and say make them change themselves at the board level, because yes, the board is responsible for the CEO, the shareholders responsible for the board.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they own the company. And then very good point, very good point.
Speaker 1: And then the CEO usually knows the big shareholders. Oh yeah, And it was sort of got to sort of get.
Speaker 2: They're all members of the chairman's lamp as well.
Speaker 1: So it's a not an unholy alliance, but it's it's a circle of a clever process. Because that's what I'm saying about Alan Joyce's single minded brilliance around himself.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's fair.
Speaker 1: And he's worked every every aspect of every angle, and he's including governments. It's not just government, shareholders, board senior staff.
Speaker 2: He raised the sort of the capturing of strategically important people to a high art, and that included his board members. And definitely I think he was very good at investor relations because he was very focused on that issue, and they trusted him because he had got quantus from where it was. You know, the share price was bumping along the ground at a dollar a share for a long time. By twenty nineteen, before COVID, it was seven bucks forty, so he'd, you know, more than you know, some bagger. Yeah, it's a seven bagger, I mean, amazing investment.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous.
Speaker 2: But of course, what anyone should know about the airline business is it cyclical. It is the most cyclical business of all ciclical businesses.
Speaker 1: So she tells us about it. It tells us about a new trend before anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyone knows that if the share price gets to seven bucks, then the next place is going to get to his three bucks. Like that's what airlines do. And now it collapsed to like five bucks last year when all of this stuff was blowing up and Allen resigned, and guess what, it's back to eight bucks. And everyone's thinking it they're really smart, but you know, eight at eight bucks. I mean, this isn't investment advice, but at quite clearly it's a topy and it's going to fall again like it's a bit of a trading stock, so lots of people trade in and out because you know it's just going to be like a rollercoaster all the time.
Speaker 1: So have you spoken to Alan Joyce about the book?
Speaker 2: I have not. I tried to approached him. There's a statement from him in the book which I thought was a bit amusing, where he complains that the book will not be balanced or fair towards him. I don't know if he's read it and whether he still thinks that it wasn't balanced or fair. I tried hard to give him credit for what he did well, but what did he do well.
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: What he did really well was the hard graft of making Quantus more efficient, because you know, today maybe it's too efficient. But back in twenty twenty eight, when he took over and I worked there, then it was a very fat, lazy company. And in fairness to Jeff Dixon, who was the predecessor to Alan, it was much less fat and lazy than when Jeff took over. But that's the sort of thing when you take over a government business, it's so fat and hierarchical, and you just got to do the slow, hard work of making it more efficient, pulling costs out year after year after year. And that that's boring, unsexy work that no one's going to give you tarraft I give. That's a pain in the ass. And he where do you go wrong?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was just going to try and give him credit for something else, because he's done a lot of other good things. But where did he go wrong?
Speaker 1: Because what did he do? There's lots of e Yeah he did, but it comes to start.
Speaker 2: One thing he did wrong was he's just the one thing that that led to all the other things was that he allowed Hubris to take over. And there was a moment when COVID hit where Quantus was worried that they were in trouble, but very quickly they realized that they had a very strong balance sheet and that they could survive without any government help. They said publicly, no we should, we don't need money. We're fine, and so Virgin shouldn't get any money because they calculated that if they didn't get any money and Virgin didn't get any money, Virgin would fall over and they and it fell over right, So next thing you know, they've got through that they've knocked over their competitor, and then they changed their mind and say we do want money, but it's easily forgotten that.
Speaker 1: That's pretty clever though, very.
Speaker 2: I mean exceptionally clever. Yeah, yeah, he was. He was a very good strategic thinker. And by June twenty twenty, like they had got their costs down. They really big achievement to like contract the business into this tiny dormant thing in Mothballs where it was only burning forty million dollars a week, and they said they could survive till for eighteen months like that without a dollar of revenue coming in the door.
Speaker 1: So they they never thought they were going to collapse, even though they later started saying, oh we were almost going to collapse, they never thought that would happen, truly. But so what Conscious did at that point was they raised more than a billion dollars from shareholders when the share price had been covered. And they didn't say, oh, we need this billion and a bit dollars to survive, you know, just as working capital. They said, we need this money to sack ten thousand people and pay a billion dollars in redundancy payments, and that was too many people to sack. But what clearly Alan Joyce saw was an opportunity. COVID became an opportunity to supercharge Quantus as profits, and he went for gold. He was clearly seeing, we can basically turn Quantus into Jet Star, you know, with higher prices. I mean, that's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean, like, really savagely cut the costs and reduce the quality of the customer experience and push the prices and push and keep the prices high, and the profit margin will just get fat. And so if you're a fund manager and Alan Joyce is proposing such a capital raising, you're going to say that sounds great. And they all did and and surprise, surprise, they did make the superprofits when they came straight out of COVID. But what they also did was they felled to pieces operationationally, Because if you sack ten thousand people from a thirty thousand people company, it's one third almost. Yeah, it's like from twenty nine thousand to twenty one thousand, So it's like, yeah, you're twenty five six percent or something like that. A huge number, and you come back and how do you really think you're going to operate properly? You know the wheels are going to fall off because you know so far fewer people working in the airport terminals or working in the engineering department, and you haven't kept your pilot training or your cabin crew training fresh because you wanted to save money. There's so many areas where they were just threadbare. And of course they say, oh, but it was COVID sickness. We couldn't have expected that. And it was supply chain disruption, we couldn't have expected that. And the thing about this story, it's why it needs to be a book instead of an article, is those things are partly true, but they use those things as if they're wholly true. And so, of course COVID sickness in the staff and supply chain disruption for parts that made an impact and made it worse, but it is not the reason why Quantus's performance in twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three was so horrific. And we all remember how bad it was. I mean, anyone who tried to travel in twenty twenty two, it was hellish. And that was all because Quantus was being greedy. Someone told me that they A pilot actually told me, one of the captains told me that Cornis sent a whole lot of planes to the US and moth bolled them efectually put them in the desert. Yeah, Vegas desert. Yeah, just because it's dry there and things don't rust as much. And in fact, he was also saying to me, when the border's reopened and Cornis is going to be flying in and out, they won't have the planes to do it.
Speaker 2: No, no, they still don't have. So those A three eighties, a lot of their craft went there, but all their eight three eighties were shut down properly, like really put into proper storage. And there's there were twelve of them that went up there. They ended up scrapping two of them for metal, and so that they reduced the eight three eighty fleet to ten. And then there are still two that have never come back because it's taking that long to get them through heavy maintenance. So there are a lot of short sighted decisions. Now by the way, Quantus doesn't really want them back because there's such big aircraft that they bring prices down. So Quantus now post COVID, is playing a game of keep the number of seats that we fly constrained, and then we can keep our airfares much higher.
Speaker 1: But that the assumption around that, there is a presumption in that model, that business model, is that that people feel compelled to flow quantus. So where does the you know, the platinum member and the Champman's Club membership, maintenance and keeping my miles up, you know, all the other memberships and all the loyalty programs. Where does that fit into that business model.
Speaker 2: It's a huge part of it.
Speaker 1: Explain that.
Speaker 2: So it's funny there's a double status points promotion on this week. Well, by the time you go to air it'll be over. But you know, I'm as guilty as the next person. I'm booking all these flights, you know.
Speaker 1: But Joe, why do we do that? Why are we so interested in our flying status? Oh?
Speaker 2: That's such a good question, And I'm guilty of it myself. I mean, especially once you actually get to the platinum or Platinum one or whatever status or Chairman's lane status, and you go, what is the value of these benefits?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: Is it really that good in this lounge or would Yeah, in the airport terminal, you can get just just as good good, probably a better coffee and a better sandwich than you can in here. Anyway, is because.
Speaker 1: You're in the air. Because when you're in the champans Landrew, you're rubbing shoulders with all these powerful.
Speaker 2: People, correct, and you it tells you that you have arrived. You know, this is an ego massage. I am one of the inner sanctum elite members of Australian society and people want to feel that way.
Speaker 1: And people because you'll go over there as a prime minister. Well there's the treasure.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and that we've been, we've been. Western culture has has conditioned us to be like this. And that's the same reason why people wanted to pay ten grand a year to have a black Amex in the day before credit cards were all on your phone. I mean it's the same concept. You know, you want to pull that card out where people go, oh he's somebody, right or she's somebody.
Speaker 1: Is there a certain amount of flattery deserving for someone's marketing bullins?
Speaker 2: Hell? Yes? Oh full credit and the Quantus Frequent Fly program is the great success story of the Joyce era, I would say, and I think when I worked at Quantus in two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, that sort of period, I think there might have been like about six or seven million members of the Quantus Frequent Fly Program. There's now sixteen well now they're not all active, superactive members, but there's sixteen million members. There's only about twenty million adults in Australia, so that would be the equivalent as if the United or Delta or American Loyalty program in America had like two hundred and fifty million members, which they don't.
Speaker 1: So there's no proportional equivalents. Hell no, it is globally unique. So ration he has on a Britaint job or somebody.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean he was a CEO. You got to give him the credit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the thing is, it is what is underneath all of the of you know, competitors of Quantus. They scratch their head, they try everything. They you know, they try their own lounges, they drop their prices, they change their roots, They lobby in Canberra and they go, why can't we beat them? You know, not not only can't, why can't we beat them? Why can't we even come close to even competing with them? And what's underneath it is that loyalty program because it's got such deep penetration people value it so much. It's also like the sunk cost theory, like I'm in this deep I've been a place for this long, or a Sham's lange member for this long. I can't let it gain, I can't let it go now. It's part of how my Vesta's part of how my life works. You know, I've got all these points. If I if I switch now, then I'll never be able to use them. It's genius. And that's why no matter how badly Quantus treats its customers, they know Quantus will never admit this, but they know we will keep coming back for more punishment.
Speaker 1: So and therefore you can build a business model off that.
Speaker 2: So therefore they can treat you poorly. And so there's no incentive for them to compete on the quality of their product. I shouldn't say there's no incentive. There's a lower incentive for them to compete on the quality of their product, like other airlines have to do in other parts of the world. So that's why they calculate stuff. It will make the catering crap. We'll let the planes get old, We'll let the lounges deteriorate to the carpets threadbare, because it won't make a difference because the suckers will just keep rolling through the door.
Speaker 1: And how much of that is when they call them corners, is called the spirit of Australia, which is in my view, is absolutely brilliant. I agree with the lad's so good. In fact, I had on my mental podcast the family who did all the flying Kangaroo, the whole thing for corners and also launched Vergin Blue for that matter, whore in Australia and the brilliance of their program, their market their externals, but but the brilliants of their marketing program was just amazing.
Speaker 2: That was one of singers like that was Pete John Singleton when he was the great adman you know in the day. Him and Jeff Dixon cred those those choir ads around the Sydney Olympics and they are the greatest Australia home. I think the greatest advertising campaign Australian advertising campaign ever period. Like there is nothing as good as that. Yeah, well maybe a common come on, but that type of thing. But yeah, well that's another one. Yeah that's another.
Speaker 1: But we're talking about iconic music, iconic lyrics, iconic imagery, and I want to be a member of that. Yeah, and I'll do anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to be that. I want to be one of the most valued customers of that company, you know's Yeah, I want to associate my own life with that brand. Because people do. They they identify in ways with brands, and they align with them and they use them as proxies for themselves.
Speaker 1: That's who I am. I'm a spirit of a Australia sort of thing. And then we tend to think and so therefore Quantus sort of has done us, not anyone in particular, but Quantis as a group, as a corporation has done quite a brilliant job as a corporation edging everyone else out of the system, like you're out, you're out, I'm in. Help said that were you know, the first airline here ever in the country. But they've done quite a brilliant job of maintaining the position and actually enhancing their position overall overall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they've made it into a fortress. Yeah. One of the ways.
Speaker 1: That's a good way of just scrobing fortress.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you know, good businesses have motes, Yeah, as you know very well, and you know, how do you get over the moat into the fortress to compete with them? And very hard once you have such a dominant competitive position, and Jetstar them created Jeft Dicks and created Jetstar and he appointed Alan Joyce to be the first sea of jet Star. Right, yeah, and that's that was a globally unique thing as well, Like no full service airline had ever said, let's create a budget carrier to compete with us, because that was considered like cannibalizing yourself. It was like latest Steve you never do it well. Steve Jobs created the iPhone which destroyed the iPods sort of like that. It was very against the grain thinking. And to this day, airlines around the world have tried and failed to replicate the Quantus Jet Star thing. Duel brand strategy they call it. And it's so it makes it impossible for Virgin to ever really get a It makes it very difficult for Virgin to ever do anything other than really get the scraps. And certainly for a Rex or a Bonds or another upstart, it makes it very difficult for them to ever have a chance. If Quantus, Virgin and Jetstar were three different companies and they were competing with each other. That would be a much more competitive market for consumers and would there be better outcomes. But that's never going to happen. I mean one, no government's ever going to force Quantas to sell jet Star. But it's the way they do. They can just squeeze everyone from both ends. So you've got Quantus with all the highest paying customers paying the highest fares, and then you've got jet Star, which just rakes up all the cheapest travel, all the leisure holiday travelers, and they have the lowest costs so they don't have to make a huehuge amount of money. Jet Star the real creams made by quantits. But they just take all this traffic, the cheap end and the expensive end, and they squeeze their competition in the middle. So Virgin stuck in the middle, trying to be a little bit premium, a little bit like budget. And so what are they They're just sort of a bit of a blamonge and and like again and again. They they just dominate by that, and they really got Rex that way too.
Speaker 1: They've squeezed everyone out.
Speaker 2: And by the way, no one should be no one should should blame Quantus for being a really aggressive competitor, Like that's what shareholders want them to be, and no one should take that away from them. But it's where does aggression crossover into anti competitive and like if you dump the protect that's the point anti competitive. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So whose responsibility is that?
Speaker 2: That's the governments? Well, the a triple C is part of the government, and the government, the political part of the government also is in charge of sort of setting the powers and the budgets of the policies. Yeah, so it's the government in totality that sets aviation policy. But but it's always that.
Speaker 1: Therefore, why governments sort of compromising themselves, of putting them in a position where their position can be questioned or and or possibly compromised. Is that your whole point? Yes, Because you know, his his mob who become extraordinarily powerful, done a great job for the shoholders, et cetera. Blah blah blah. You the government should not put yourself in a position where you're going to have to second Someone's going to be said, we're all going to be second guessing your decision. Because the only way that their power can be managed by virtue of their great success is through you the government who we voted in. Is that your whole point?
Speaker 2: It's exactly right. Yeah, it's exactly right. That's the thesis of the book. Yeah you've knowed it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well and it doesn't really matter whether it's alban Easy or.
Speaker 2: Because it was a politician.
Speaker 1: People before that.
Speaker 2: Scott Morrison sucked up to Alan Joyce as hard as albo ever did.
Speaker 1: And the next person after, Margaret.
Speaker 2: Jackson and Jeff Dixon before Alan Joyce came along, were just the most phenomenal lobbyist. They long time ago, Singapore Airlines wanted to launch flights between Australia and the US and compete with Quantus, and Jeff and Margaret at Quantus killed at Stone Dead and John Howard blocked it. There's been like example after example. This is not a this is not an elbow thing, it's not a scomo thing. It is a system thing.
Speaker 1: So do you think that's but that is that apologician reading the two leaves saying well, you know, Australians loved this company and they did love this they he correct. But if I go back there, it's like the Kuala bet. We can't have anything that's going to challenge our icons what we love.
Speaker 2: But that's why Quantus was being so ingenious by branding itself that way. That also was not only did it make us want to travel with them, it also allowed them to effectively blackmail governments and say, well what about all the jobs? You know if you let like, all these people will have to sack. In my book, Margaret Jackson said to Howard government minister when she was lobbying against the Singapore Airlines thing. She brilliantly she said, well, you can allow Singapore Airlines to compete with us on the Pacific to America, but you'll just have to explain to the people of Tamworth why they're now catching the bus to Sydney. Right, that's just it's blackmail, right, yeah, brilliant. I'm giving her credit for that. And they're they're terrific lobbyists and government's time and again have fallen for their stuff on jobs in particular like protecting Australian jobs. But then the problem with that argument under Joyce at the end was that he was sacking so many Australians and not just sacking them, but offshoring jobs like at now a lot of crew on Quantus are based overseas. That's all happened under him, So that argument gets gets diluted. And the unions, even though it's a labor government and sort of the Albanese's really pro Quantus, you've also got the unions in the Labor party who are very anti Quantists because of what they did to employees. So it's sort of a complicated story. Again, why it's frustrating that the whole thing gets boiled down to just albo Quantis. It's even in the Albanese government they were very very anti Quantus on industrial relations. They change the laws so that Quantus has got to pay a lot more for its for its crew than it did.
Speaker 1: So there are some branding points for the government in relation to the way they've managed course as power.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. I mean that's giving them maybe more credit than I want to give them. But what I would just say that it is nuanced. You know. That's why again why this needs to be a book and not an article.
Speaker 1: It's why this needs to be like a longer conversation and not a ten minute conversation, which is why I should it come on the show, because like I think that we Australians who going to read this book. We need an opportunity to get the context around it. And I think it's really important that we all get context around what it is, because otherwise, Joe asked me, becomes the devil ink in it himself because it will be fifty fifth. Yeah, some are going to say good on you, well done. If someone saying, why are you're pulling? Pulling the organization apart? I mean and and to some extent you're going to get You're going to get caught up in this funeral. I mean, have you been handling?
Speaker 2: Uh, Well, you just put one foot in front of the other and focus on on on the work and the and the issues, you know, not the emotion or the politics. It's just it's just.
Speaker 1: Your front and center at the moment. You're you're the most controversial journalist at the moment. We have an election coming up with elbows struggling at the polls. He bought a house recently. That didn't help him. It's really like the time of your book's perfect in terms of the book relative to elbow. It'll blowover and your journals. You know how this works. So what do you reckon will happen?
Speaker 2: Well? I don't I don't know. I can't tell you how the Albanesi government will respond, but I do think in terms of the political narrative, people move on. And the thing is, these stories morph, so everyone just attacks elbow for a few days, and then then it turns out that you know, other politicians were doing yeah you know, oh woop Swede didn't disclose our upgrades or we and then that all becomes a story. And then they quickly realized nobody can win from this because they all really just want to stay in the chairman's lounge and they want to still be able to keep getting their upgrades. And they all realize that and go, let's just stop talking about this because I mean, nothing will change. I have very low expectations of change. I mean punters, I mean punters I think are hungry for change. They're sick to death of this stuff. Not just in Australia, like the UK Prime Minister Kirstarma is getting absolutely killed over the free concert tickets that he accepted and the free football game tickets, and there's just a real tiredness from the public, not internationally in Western democracies of politicians that are just seen to be in it for the for themselves and for the trappings of office. If if If Albanezi came out and said, I get it, I get it all right, let's not quibble about this. I'm ending by am ending chairman's lagch membership for all politicians. I'm ending upgrades for all politicians. They are forbidden. I think his polls would go up, and that would be a smart thing to do. However, Howard is popularity to go in the party room. Politicians really care about this stuff. But there's a good sorry if I'm talking too long, there's a good parallel with John Howard in two thousand and four, and you might remember Mark Latham was banging on about how politicians getting their lifetime pensions was an outrage and arguably there was some outrageous examples in the system. So John Howard came out and he just ended it. Even though that was that good policy, I don't know, but it was, he screwed over every incoming politician after that. He just got up and he said, I'm taking this issue off the table and I am ending all life pensions now from now on, when you're elected to Parliament, you get fifteen four point four percent superannuation, which is still more than most people. But that's what the public service gets, and that's it. There's no pension when you leave that. That is it. And if Albo took the same approach and said, all right, we're all going to get our snouts out of the trough, no more upgrades, no more chairman's lounge, that would be a really smart and similar approach. You just have to think maybe it's gone too far now too well, Either it's gone too far or maybe it's blown over. And he's hoping and everyone's hoping that no one gets back to it, and that no one can that they've sort of survived and they can cling on to their goodies.
Speaker 1: Does he give you Does he pick up the phone and say, hey, Joe, what the hell's going on in.
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 1: Would you? Well?
Speaker 2: Last year I tried to engage with his office when I wrote the fact that his son had been had been put in the chairman's lounge and his office was impossible to deal with. Would not return phone calls for days, repeated phone calls over and over again. Would not respond to emails, repeated emails, which is just pretty crazy given these people are paid by the public to respond to questions from analysts. So the only communication was when he would call my editor in chief to complain your boss, Yeah, and wanted to kill the story. And luckily I have an editor in chief who doesn't do that if a story is true. So and only last only this week he finally admitted that, yes, his son is in the Shaman's land. So that was something that was written a year ago. He's never even acknowledged it or he's refused to even answer whether it was true. So now he's finally sort of come out and it's been a bit messy. Obviously, I don't No, I don't have a direct relationship with him.
Speaker 1: What about Alan Joyce?
Speaker 2: No, I tried to As I said, I tried to contact Sorry, I did reach out to Alan Joyce repeatedly. I asked him to talk to me for the book I was keen.
Speaker 1: On before his exalt, before he exoled himself from Australia back to Ireland.
Speaker 2: Or No, this was this year, you know, when the process of writing the book. Again, Alan Joyce was not someone who ever tried to engage with me directly. He also complained about me to my boss.
Speaker 1: What do you do? You know, my boss?
Speaker 2: It's all it's all written about in the book. You know, my boss repeatedly said to him, if you can point to me, you know the facts here that are wrong, and we'll we'll fix it. But you know last year, at that time, Joyce was unable to identify those and so he was just frustrated because he just didn't want to be criticized. And again that was that was his judgment had gone astray. He was he was no longer able to say, I'm being criticized by this person. Maybe I should think about the substance of those criticisms and are they accurate. But he was just so so black and white, so self blind. You know, it was if it was my way and any other way is wrong. And that's the point that he got to and that's what did him in.
Speaker 1: Do you think we've lost much by Alan Joyce leaving the country and he has permanent.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, he's he lives here, he lives. Yeah, he went away immediately to escape the fuor And yeah, he left the country and so the Senate couldn't call him as a witness.
Speaker 1: Sorry, we don't know if that's the reason. Yeah, but he wasn't able to be to attend. Yeah, and look, the thing about Australia is and this is why I was sort of disappointed he didn't talk to me, because I suspect it probably changed the book by not having his voice in it. I'm not saying that it would have become a really pro Allen Joyce book if he had spoken to me, but I think it would have had more of his perspective. And the thing is, Australians actually like a comeback story.
Speaker 2: You know. It's like we like really hammering people who do the wrong thing or you know, even perceived to pop their head up too high, but equally those people who turn things around or they come back. The redemption tale is a bit of an Ozssy favorite. Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if Alan Joyce is back in the future. It's not like he's not not a quant but like, you don't sort of just lose all of the experience and valuable knowledge that you have from from a company or running in such an important company for such a long time, and potentially after a period in the wilderness, he gets better perspective as well on the mistakes that he's made. I'm sure he wouldn't agree with everything that I've said, but I reckon probably over time you start to say, yeah, probably just did that wrong, Probably could have done that better. I'm not in the business of like trying to bury people, and I don't want Alan Joyce to be gone banished, you know forever. That's not my intention anymore that it's my intention to try and destroy Anthony Alberaneesi. I mean, this is just I'm just trying to put the facts out there and put together what happened at Quantas and let other people make their judgment.
Speaker 1: Just so it would be clear on this, so that there was a bias that that's been lead to the media that that you remember the Liberal Party and et cetera. Can we just put that into context now.
Speaker 2: Well, that I was a Liberal Party staffer, which is all in the book.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's just closed. Can you just express it now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sure. So I started out as a political staffer for Bruce Baird and Joe Hockey in the Howard government. That was the last time I worked in politics too, the great politicians. But that was the last time I worked in politics. I mean that's almost twenty years ago. I don't think I then worked as a journalist for twelve years and so I still talk to lots of people in politics on both sides. That's what journalists do.
Speaker 1: Are you political? That?
Speaker 2: No, far from it. I have no interest in politics, and actually I much prefer writing about business and politics again because the responses tend to be rational instead of emotional. So it was sort of it's sort of expected that you're going to get attacked. You know, that's playing the man, not the ball to say, well, you know, he wasn't addressing the substance of the book. He was sort of suggesting that I had improper motivations, and I don't think that's well, I can tell you that's not right. There was even a story in the news dot com where I had been pictured having lunch with Peter Dutton like nine months ago or something like that, which I thought was quite funny really, which was true. I mean, there I am in the photo. But you do, you catch up with politicians, you talk to them. But that's even even that that's been painted as a conspiracy theory.
Speaker 1: We Peter certainly didn't say, look, Joe, could you just in and write a book about and mention Anthony el.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, no worries. No, wire's Peter, I'll just go down a rabbit hole for ten months just for you.
Speaker 1: Can I just peak your journalistic sort of interest, et cetera for a moment. One of the things you mentioned quantus being sort of a monopolist or having too much control in relation or having a lot of control and relation to one aspect of Australian business. But if you think about Austraian business generally, were we've got you know, three or four major insurance companies, three four big banks, were you know, three or four big telego market supermarkets as well. It's sort of like a symptom of Australian economy at the moment because of its size. Wide enough, that's the reason, but that could be the reason. Perhaps it is. But do you think that we will never solve these issues because I mean, like CBA, for example, it was owned by the government, one of the most love banks in the country, probably got fifty three percent control. But they'd have seven eight million customers for sure, and had a good bank. Dude, Yeah we're wrong, go a good bank, ye, and good competition and plenty competition sitting around them. Macquarie in particular has come out of nowhere as a tremendous retail bank. Yeah, totally, totally, but still it's now five concentrated, five hands perhaps, but five it's.
Speaker 2: Pretty good for a population of twenty five million people.
Speaker 1: But it's not. But do you think it's good though, if there's another twenty two others who don't really get a looking like in other than twenty two banks building societies in smaller banks, regional banks sea But it's sort of and then therefore you get pricing oler gobblies is effected. What I'm trying to say here, and I don't want you to reflect on any particular industry, but do you think that that is a symptom of Australia and that maybe not. We're not going to solve quantus or anything.
Speaker 2: It's hard to see how well the problem is. There's no simple answer to that. Like one part of is the population a big Australia. People won't like hearing this, but I'm in favor of Australia having high immigration intake and getting to a much bigger population and building up the urban density of the East Coast. Not the city is necessarily, but all of the other regional cities along the way could be much bigger, But of course that means that the state governments have to keep up with the infrastructure requirements. But if you import skilled migrants who bring who come here with money, with qualifications, who pay, who earn good money and good jobs, and pay high taxes, then that should over time work and then that will solve a lot of the competitive issues in the economy and make it a more dynamic economy because it's very hard to You need scale as a business and you need what we call TAM total addressable market really the banking sector to have sort of as you say, five players plus a whole bunch of smaller ones, and sure they can't get a look in, but they would get a look in, more of a look in. They'd be more sustainable if there were sixty million people in Australia CRET. So that's part of the problem. On the airline side, it's a part of the problem, but it's not the whole problem. And the just as big a problem is that Quantus and Jetstar are one company and to take them on when they've got an established sixty five market position is not impossible, but it's close to impossible.
Speaker 1: Because do you think the gunner should be doing with One of the considerations of the recent quarranty the retails, the big retailed big grocery retailers was that they should be made or should be encouraged to sell off part of the businesses. Should corners beencourage yourself?
Speaker 2: Just well, you could encourage them all that all you like, They're not going to do it. They would you have to be forced to do it. Would I don't think they should be forced to do it, But put it this way, they should be threatened with it. It should be possible that it could happen. And if that was even hanging over them as a possibility, it would change their behavior. You know, they would think twice about you know, how much they drop their prices and threw large numbers of seats into new markets. You know, things that can be on the borders of anti competitive versus aggressive, that that sort of behavior would definitely be curtailed.
Speaker 1: Can be this diuger when it comes to governments encouraging us to change our behavior. Dumbmans encourage us as individuals consumers en rules, just individuals voters constituents to change your behavior is a good example. That is of course during COVID, but they encourage us to change your behavior, and the Reserve Bank, the Reserve Bank encourage you to stop spending by putting interest rates up. Sure, and they have no trouble doing that. And in fact it's a fundamental of Australian the Australian system and by the way global systems works everywhere around the world. Why is it then governments are nervous about trying to change the behavior of corporation like Quantus by saying listen here a cell or if you don't, we're gonna we'll do something about it. You've got to do something about your behavior, otherwise we will force you to sell get star.
Speaker 2: For example, politicians have experience with trying to tell businesses what to do. They try to tell the miners to pay a mining tax.
Speaker 1: That was a major disaster.
Speaker 2: And the miners destroyed the right government they did. So you take on big business, it's the lobby. You take on big business at your own risk. And I think if you chip away at them on the fringes, they might copy it on the chin. You know, they will complain, they lobby, but they won't actually go to war with you, because ultimately, you know, a big corporation can justify spending tens of millions, even hundreds of millions of dollars on public advertising, campaign mining tax because it's existential to their profit totally, you know. But a political but a government can only spend so much, and a political party they're quite poor, and in fact they rely on companies to give them money in donations.
Speaker 1: So that old horse self, that old horse called self interest, which is in every race, emerges again. So it's political self interest. And so the smart people at the places, like those places where they are creating old goblies et cetera, or end or monopolies and youobolies. The smart people in turn that inside those places that actually whilst they know their behavior is maybe not perfect, they also know the behavior of the people who may will be able to change their behavior. That is a government. They know that self interest and so maybe this will never be solved. I have, again, as I say, I have very low expectations of change. Would you expect an inquiring Maybe a new government picks it up and says let's have an inquiry. Absolutely not off the back of Joe's book, they just wanted to go away made finally and it's a good read, and I commend anyone who's listening just to go and by the book. It's a bloody good is it. By the way, to do the audiobook I did. I narrated the audiobook. How long does it take?
Speaker 2: I think it's twelve hours, so you'd have to do yours quick.
Speaker 1: I couldn't speak for more than two hours.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I didn't do it in one take. I did it over about four or five days. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I took my two weeks or something. And when you're doing it where you're reading things go my god, right did I say that? You know that? Well?
Speaker 2: I found it a good way of finding errors.
Speaker 1: So like, but once you publish it, you've got to read what you wrote.
Speaker 2: I know it's annoying because you go that was that's the wrong word, or same as me.
Speaker 1: I was going to I was freaking out because I did my audio many about four years after three or four years after wrote the book, and it was some stuff was a little bit out of date. So if you buy my book, and any way it's about Joe's books, I don't worry cross from importantly, they what where to from here?
Speaker 2: Mate?
Speaker 1: Your book's out? You know you're batting things back. I know you're going into Christmas time. We're going to see Joe emerging again next year in journalism.
Speaker 2: I hope. So yeah, Look, I don't have any news to share about that.
Speaker 1: But breaking news is always welcome on this.
Speaker 2: Show, and I'm not being coy by any stretch either. But ye know, journalism is what I'm good at. Well, some people will disagree, but I don't have any other core skill. Really, It's what I've been doing for a long time, and I enjoy it most days. So I think, you know, I've been off on the you know, I've been down my rabbit hole for a year now and I do miss it, and I think I'm leaning towards going back to journalism, but look, I just don't know what that looks like yet. I've I've just finished the book and I've been out there talking about it, and now I need to sort of talk to some people about who might be interested in my services, and maybe I'll find nobody is journalism.
Speaker 1: World has changed, It's not changed. It's sort of morphed and lots of different things. So there could be lots of exciting sort of opportunity for someone like you, because I think people still want to listen to you and or read you so to speak. YEA, When I say lint, I mean read what you've got to say, perhaps even listen to you, like verbalize something over a microphone. So I mean, I know because some people when they launch a book, we know it, you know, I know it. They're sort of an effectively without saying announcing a new career or a new business venture or something. And because you know the PR people, they say, do a book, establish yourself in the marketplace. So do a book. And I wonder when I when I found out you're writing the book? Though I won I've Joe's got something. He's trying to do this as a precursor to what he wants to do in the future.
Speaker 2: Or is this only because I don't have it figured out exactly? But I didn't speak to any PR people about writing the book. I just did it because it was the subject that I felt really passionate about and I had command of, and I felt, you know, this is my big opportunity to I've always wanted to be an author. You know, I can tick that box and see how I go. And that was a rewarding experience. But yeah, no, it wasn't sort of some strategy to pump like surprise, big reveal, but I mean eventually I'll hopefully have a big reveal, but I don't have it right now. Unfortunately, it's only Joe, so good to have you mate. Thanks man.
Speaker 1: It's a great read. Here it is, go get it, and it's on the front page of every newspaper for the last week and a half, so you better read it.
Speaker 2: Jeff