Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to The Australian's Money Puzzle podcast. I'm James Kirby. Welcome aboard everybody. I've had some signals, you know that the property prices across the market are turning the corner. And we had a soft start to the year and of course we didn't get that rate cut that all the economists thought we would. But at the same time I noticed that some bank economists and I always listened to bank economists over everyone else actually, and they are becoming more confident that the property market will rebound is rebounding. Peter Moncton is the chief economist at the Bank of Queensland and he has actually upgraded his property forecasts for the bank. Very interesting. I want to talk to him about that today. Hi, Peter, how are you?
Speaker 2: But thanks James, Thanks very much for having me on.
Speaker 1: Oh nice to have you on. It's something that we've been looking at on the show that there's this sense that things are improving. There is improvement. I mean when I say improving, what I mean is that the national market has been mixed, but the big two market Sydney and particularly in Melbourne have been very soft. Melbourne in particular and we see clearance rates suddenly suddenly coming up to normal or better than normal, even though we didn't have a rate cut that we were expecting. Justin could you tell the listeners you upgraded your forecast? Why could you explain in themen's terms? Why?
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks chevs. First for was what are the forecasts. The forecasts are for the capital cities, stand alone house in the Capital cities. So that's what my forecasts are in the forecast, what the house, what the stay alone house process will increase in twenty twenty five and twenty twenty six, and my upgrades. To be honest, it's more in the nudge had a degree that I sort of a rapid change. Was it to do with indust rates? The answer is not really. So when I go through and do my forecast, I focus on the monthly data. You know, obviously these things that have happened in the week's week, But I tend to focus on the monthly sort of figures, and so therefore it wasn't so much interest rates, because as you noted, it really was this month when there was a surprise about the RBA not moving the first half of the year. Interest rates broadly when alive with what everyone thought to be a ray cut in February and a ray cut in May. So that didn't have the influence on my forecast. What was the cause of my change, and its actually was how the market's performing. And it wasn't so much a top line how was Australia white house class is going. It was a bit more of a bottom up thing actually that when I looked at how individual cities are going. While there were one or two that may not have been performing quite as strongly as I thought, Adelaide and Perth probably stood out in that regard, but a number of the other cities, and you mentioned Melbourne that was one homemark, Canberra, Darwin were others that were doing actually better than what I thought the first half the year. So there's more a bottom up who's doing well as opposed to a top down. It just writes sort of reason about what changed my forecast.
Speaker 1: It I'd always be more convinced and comfortable with bottom up forecasts anyway. You have to see in any field of activity, including property. So tell me what were they then? What were those signals that when you talk about bottom up signals, what were.
Speaker 2: There of Pretty simple, actually, James, no sort of magic about this is just look at what has the momentum of house price has been the first half the year. And I suppose my thinking going to this year, as we know, affordability was an issue afforded the space, afordability still is an issue. And I thought that for the places where we've seen very strong house price growth in recent years, Adelaide, Birth Brisbane really stout out, affordability would be a drive concern issue, which I think is play out. Then I thought that the places which hasn't experienced very strong house broken Melbourne is very much front of mine here would start to pick up. But after a number of years, as you pointed out where house prices had movement, I thought that process would take a bit longer. That do doubt that looks like it is. So there was more that I looked at the house price changes have actually happened. That momentum in some of the cities has been stronger than what I thought, which is the reason why I sort of nudge my forecast sile.
Speaker 1: Before we go any further, I should just ask what they are exactly, What is your forecast for the standardone house places in twenty twenty five nationwide and next year if you have that to hand.
Speaker 2: Yep, So my numbers starting off was sort of you know, I thought it'd be sort of a five and six percent nationwide stand alone, how house price to the Capital cities year, six percent next and really I've just sort of nudged this year up to just be a percent or so high. You know, I'd actually done some work a few months ago would sort of show that in the two years after you get interest rate cutting cycles house prices then you go up ten to fifteen toer that. Right, There's been the odd time there it's been a lot stronger than that, but usually those times are when house prices are pretty affordable, and it's hard to make that argument. There's been a couple of times when the numbers have been a lot lower than that, but invariably they've been a time and the jobs market has been pretty weak, unemployed rate, you know, a lot higher than where it is today. So right now you've got a pretty good god jobs market, you've got people clearly wanting homes, but you've got an affordability issue. So ten to fifteen percent is might sort of feel about where house prices will go over the next couple of years, and it's sort of a six to six sort of way. We'll get there, is Baldcraft.
Speaker 1: So six percent this year, and what was twenty twenty six?
Speaker 2: Yeah, six percent twenty five or six percent twenty six.
Speaker 1: Okay, So looking at very simple six percent a year, okay, And how does that look on a long time average, Peter.
Speaker 2: Look not too far away. Actually, So if you look at what over the last twenty plus years, what households supposed income growth is, it's been around about in the fives, and house prices have gone up a little bit higher than that. So about five and a half percent is, if I remember, right, is where house Bob supposed income grows grown and house prices have grown up a little bit higher than that. And that's been one of the reasons why the affordabilities issue. House prices have grown persistently stronger than income growth, which is why I a bit of a problem. But yeah, from somewhere between you at six percent is not far away from what the sort of longer term average.
Speaker 1: Is, right. And when you mentioned that the rates didn't what the particular decisions of the RBA were month to month weren't crucial to what you're doing. There which is really interesting. However, that particular rate call, it was unusual, of course, because we've never seen how before how the RBA voters, and this was the first time we actually got to see how their voters and it was six to three, that is, six of them said let's not cut and three of them said let's cut. And a lot of us met of that at the time that they were going their separate wheeze. But we never saw these numbers before. So what I'm asking you is whether you think there is any question over the trajectory of reds that they are going to go lower in the rest of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So just to be clear, James, on the terms of the interest rates, the fact we're in a lower interest rate cycle is one of the reasons why I've got my house price walkhast where they are. How if we had this rate change from the start of the year and say that was the sort of my view all throughout the year, then I well strongly suspect that house price growth this year and next would be a lot lower. So the first vid is interest rate down is part of the reasons about why I've got the six and six. What didn't change my view is the fact that they didn't go in July, So that has changed my view because it was the momentum of the first half of the year that would have changed things. So then it comes to your question James about you know, the six to three outlook and war was a better There's two things about the July RBA decision that's without One was decision not to go. It was very unusual, given that there was a very strong chance of financial markets and amongst the world of economists, as you pointed our board to go, it's very unusual the RBA did something so strongly against consensus, So that was all unusual. And as you touched on, the second thing that was unusual was actually the first time attributed what the voting was, and as just mentioned, it was six to hold rates unchanged and through for them to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't normally. This was the first time under the new RBA sort of regime that they revealed this how they're.
Speaker 2: Volted exactly right. But you know, I strongly suspect it's not the first time there's been a bit of a disagreement that's been publicly disclosed about what it actually means. What are the practical implications from that. So from an economist standpoint, the implication is you've now got nine people who will we make the decision? Whereas before you sort of got to you was really it was the Reserve Bank bringing a decision to the board and the board deciding about whether that was the right or wrong thing. Whereas now it's nine people coming up of a decision. And what that might mean is that from a meeting to meeting standpoint, it might get a little bit more uncertain about what the RBA is up to compared to perhaps the past. So that's probably my job a little bit harder. But what does it actually mean for your listeners? And I think in a big picture practically not a lot. I think that the big picture is interest rates will be set on where inflation's going, what the unappointment rate is, how is the global economy going? What does that mean to be interest right?
Speaker 1: And can we as listeners, as investors' listeners, can we take it? We can we remain comfortable with the central narrative that Australian roads have lowered a girl?
Speaker 2: Yes, And again for the reasons I was touching on, if you look through those issues, where's inflation going? What's happening with the global economy, how's the domestic economy going, all that sort of stuff. When you add up that, it does say interest rates you'd be coming down. Financial markets have got about another three quarter percentage point of great cuts chart priced in as of the July and I think that looks not unreasonable. So I think all the arguments are that we still have lar regius rights.
Speaker 1: Okay, very good. Now, what we're going to do, folks, because I know what everyone's interested in is well, what does this mean for prices? What does it mean for prices in particular places, particularly in the largest city Sydney, in Melbourne, and maybe also a look at the nature of property that might if everything is dwellings are expected to live by six percent a year, which is a pretty good scenario for a property investor. What we want to know is which ones we'll be back in a moment. Hello, Welcome back to the Australians Money Puzzled podcast. I'm James Kirby and I'm talking to Peter Monkton, chief economists at the Bank of Queensland. We're talking property prices and where they're going, and it's pretty strong tailwind. I think we can comfortably say with predictions that property prices across the world would lift six percent and that's an average, remember or a median, And on top of that you have the tailwind of rates being cut. One of the things we've discovered on the show recent times, Peter, was big difference between standalone houses and everything else. And your forecast is for standalone houses, right, and they where once they were utterly representative of dwellings in Australia, they are now simply one part of the market and there's apartments and units, et cetera. And one thing we discovered was that standalone houses are just sort of in a world of their own. They do very well. The gap between apartments and standardone houses, which people thought might improve this with this uptick, hasn't improved at all. In fact, it's worsened and a lot of people have been losing money on apartments. One in five apartments in Melbourne being sold in the last quarter was sold at a loss. That was a number from the Cautality Group formerly core Logic, and ninety percent of the apartments that sold in Sydney were ninety percent of the dwellings that sold in Sydney at a loss were apartments. Apartments we're often seen as an entry level way into the market for people. Were you aware of any of this, Peter, have you any views on it?
Speaker 2: No, Ja, the first time I've heard those statistics, and they're very interesting. I would probably be of the school along the lines that I would have thought that apartments at some point times should do well versus standlone houses. And the sense of the argument comes down to affordability. As you mentioned, it's a great entry point, and I would have thought that given where affordability is, more people would be looking at apartments as sort of a possibility. I suppose we raise the question about why hasn't that been made case in places like Sydney in Melbourne, that there's been a reasonable supply of apartments coming on. I think another one is that we've obviously had very strong population growth over the last couple of years now, and that population growth has been heavily concentrated in the capital cities. And of course there's no change in the supply of land, and there's a big change in demand for land. What more people is then demanded, supply means rice the land goes up, which obviously the more important component of a standalone house versus a unit. And probably the other thing I've mentioned is that if you look at about how capital cities performed versus regions, where regions have actually had a better run in recent times, and if you look at the housing stock, so the rolling stock in regions, there's a bigger standlone house component versus capital city.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, so yeah.
Speaker 2: So I think just compositionally there is that. That's the other reason about why I standlone houses have done well, but bigger picture in terms of your question about houses versus stanline houses versus units, et cetera. You know, essentially, if you go back to the last thirty plus years, there's been about three times when standlone houses their average price increased a lot lessus the average unit price. And then what we've got the previous two occasions. At some point in time, I think affordability became an issue, and then what we got slowly in the following years was a period where units did at least as well as houses. Standloned houses or maybe someone I'm outperformed, So that was sort of we've seen in the in the in history. This is the third time we've had a standlone houses you know, clearly outperforms standland units, and I suspect at some point in time we might get the units outperforming again just because of the affordability question.
Speaker 1: When you say that, do you have any they haven't yet, right, there is no evidence, There is no evidence, and it's been quite a while. Would you be concerned that it's not going to happen this time?
Speaker 2: Possibly because you know, one reason might be that you know, in Sydney, for example, the government is looking about increasing housing density around in particular train stations, and that's not going to be by stand their own houses. It's more likely by units. And as you correctly pointed out, particularly in the capital cities, more and more of the dwelling stock is becoming units just because of the lack of land and the expensiveness of the land and very strong outperformance of the regions versus cities for a long period of time. Maybe that sort of outperformance went keep on having. So you're one hundred percent right. The fact that it's happened two times in the past doesn't mean it's got to happen the third time. That's absolutely true. So it will clearly depend upon what the supply of units, et cetera will be going forward, But I do suspect that, you know, the affordability question will weigh on HOURSS. Six percentage, you pointed out is sort of a reasonable number, but historical standpoints have obviously had a lot stronger price increases than that, and the big reason for that is affordability. So you know, we'll see how we go, but you know there are reasons to think would be. But you know, one of the things with the housing market, I've found a few times when my forecasts have eventually turned out to be right, but they happened for a while. You know, things can happen to develop over time and take long as you think.
Speaker 1: And inside your foecas only you know this. Obviously they don't know to extend you've met this public. But if you're expecting six percent across the board, there will be deviation around that, and some will do better than six, some will do worse than six. Have you any sense of which are the patches or locations or even styles of homes that will do better and worse.
Speaker 2: Yes, So look, as I's said at the start that my forecast of the stand alone houses, and as you said, it's the average of those. So I haven't got any particular view, even though I've just answered of question about houses of US units, I haven't got a particular issue view about what units will do over the next couple of years. But on capital cities, as I might have mentioned earlier on, my theme has been the places that have done better over the last two or three years, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth they will start slowing versus everyone else because they've done so well. Affordablle is becoming aish in those places, and the places that haven't done work as well last two or three years. Melbourne's a bit of a standout, but also dah and Camera and Hobart they will start to do better. So it's almost like a you know, the better come back to the pack and the laggers are start to pack up a bit to pick back up. And so that's my suspicion about what will be happening, and that's what my forecasts have been. That essentially Melbourne, Adelaide and Hobart Camera of course up to pick up, and that sort of keeps the average around about stick for the other one. The other of cities start the price break moderates.
Speaker 1: It's like a reversion to the mean.
Speaker 2: Exactly right. And look, if you look through the big picture about why people, you know, why population growth for example, between states, you know what does go up and down. One of the factors is the state economy doing well. A second one is the affordable housing there. And at some point if the economy is doing okay and you've got affordable housing there, then people sort of say, well, maybe that's a place that I can go to and have a good, good standard limit.
Speaker 1: To some extent, the market does its works its best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, as we were talking about earlier on, that can take longer than you think, but eventually the things you know, I think you know does come through.
Speaker 1: Okay, very interesting, all right, we'll take a short break. I have some very good questions that I want to put to Peter. They are from you guys, of course, and they're not all of our property. But we'll see what he has to see and we will endeavor as a dual to give you an answer back in a moment. Hello and welcome back to the Australians Money Puzzle Podcast. James Kirby with Peter Moncton, Chief Economist, Bank of Queensland first time on the show. He has just upgraded or nudged his property forecasts forward, which I thought was very interesting because there was some a little bit of dampness in the market after the interest rates were not cut, of course by the RBA, after absolute total consensus that they would cut them. But it's reassuring to hear that Peter and others believe that there is plenty more to come on the raid cuts. I think it was three quarters of a percent you thought basically before they resettled, Was that right, Peter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my forecast, that's our financial market thinking. So we'll see what THEBI ends up doing.
Speaker 1: Yes, yep. Okay. Now, first questions from Tina. I found no Whittaker's comments regarding pre to invest in shares over property and over negative gearing. I take it his clients are all more affluent to have millions dollars lying around to invest in shares compared with the average moment dad property investor. He is forgetting you can buy your investment property literally without any money of your own. Okay, thank you, Tina. Here's the thing. Noel was very much, very much pro shares and very skeptical yes, I know on property, but that's just one view. And the other thing is Tina, you say that you can buy a property with very little money of your own, you can buy shares with very little money of your own. You can negatively gear shares just technically as easily as you can negatively gear property. However, in our market, everyone is prepared to do that on property and take damn big loans as investors, but they're not prepared to do so on negative gearing for shares, even though the numbers on shares have been better in recent Certainly you're getting four and a half percent yield basically against what two or three in the cities in property, and from extra extremely strong returns. I won't accept to say this is not advice information only, but Peter, I think behind it all here is the question why do we all? Why do you think the Australian every day investor is prepared to take big loans on property and not on shares when the same terms are available in negative gearing.
Speaker 2: As you say, James, you know I'm not providing any sort of boss look on you. I'll probably say two things. First of all, do people understand shares as well as and the second is that you know, every day we get to sort of see what the share pross changees been these days. You know, obviously we get monthly sort of discussions. We've just had one about what ass proces are up to.
Speaker 1: We know much more than we used to, yeah, much much, much more up to date information.
Speaker 2: I've even saying weekly indicators of house processes somebody. But I suppose that the share market apparently just goes up down more than the property market. Both. Maybe it's just that influencing people and maybe knowledge, but I'm not you know, I've got an expert about why people decided to choose property a maches or whatever.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think you're right. I think it's a comfort factor, Tina, because, as I say, you can buy shares with very little money, you can negatively gear them in the same fashion, and there's a lot less trouble, to be honest, because well, anything's less trouble than owning an investment of property. As you probably know that his owning listed shares are. But the comfort factor is big with bricks and mortar. Never underestimate that, I think. Okay, thanks Tina, Paul. I was listening to your podcast in buying units off the Plan. I now know that I would be competing against foreign investors if I were ever to buy off the Plan. I also know that shunky developers can walk away and hide in perpetuity, rendering it expensive to call any money back if I hit a disaster. Couldn't developers change their minds if prices had risen since the contract had been so mind and return my deposits so they could sell it themselves. Well, very broadly, Paul, the Off the Plan show was very interesting. There was a lot of negatives in that space about off the Plan. There was a lot of risks I think that were unclear maybe initially to listeners, and though they have their place, I think that the end of the show, I thought it was pretty obvious that that it's much riskier than you might think to buy off the plan. That's part one. As for what developers might do or change their minds, well, developers completely control This is the issue. I suppose the developer controls the whole thing, and often controls the development in the years after you move in as well, which causes all sorts of other problems. Peter, I won't again because you're in the columnist ida was not fair to put that one to you, But I might ask you one thing if from an economic and demographic point of view, we were talking about how houses run ahead of apartments and have done so and are doing it again at the moment, and how apartment prices were softer. Have you ever looked at the demographics of apartment buyers. It used to be all based if the younger people, but I believe a substantiate portion now are older people downsizing with just a change the market? I wonder, yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Could do, James. You know, obviously if the sort of apartments are sort of more high end the people downside, and that sort of evolves. I think, you know, one of the other points I'd make on this is that you know, if you look at cities, the land is not getting more land. There's a lot more people. So, as you pointed out earlier on the stock of a part the overle locker dwellings is increasing. And what that will just mean is that over time the composition of who's the unit will volt just because of the proportional oble golling stock is increasing. So I think that well, that would be basically if you look at the big cities overseas, you know, didn't you're over five million people. If you look at big cities Europe like that, then you know you do see more units in the in the over going stock, So you know, I think that'll be the other big thing that that issue about units became having a bigger proportion of the dwelling stock that will have impotations.
Speaker 1: Finally, Andrew a question on property inside Super. With superbounces growing, I can see that many people close to retirement would be in a position where they would be able to purchase a residential or commercial property without the need for a complicated SMSF loan with all its restrictions. Hypothetically, if someone had a million dollars in Super at sixty, would it be a strategy to move it into an SMSF and purchase a half a million property. It seems like that would reduce heavy exposure to the market. Yes, it would reduce But Andrew never advice. Hypothetically, if to all the Andrews in the world, if you had it doesn't matter what the figure is. If you had X in your Super at sixty and you just decided to put half X into one single acid and that one single acid, whether it's property or anything is that would be very poor in relation to diversification, and diversification is terribly important in super so I think you would find the vast majority of advisors, regulators, analysts, and perhaps even chief economists at banks would be skeptical about such a move.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Peter, Well, probably anything outside James. He said, whever you make investments, it should be do your research to understand about what the risks are and what the returns are are. And you know, I think if you do that, then you know, I think you'd be more informal when you make your investment decisions. But I have a very particular you about that.
Speaker 1: Very good, and I just would add Andrew that diversification is terribly important and you don't have to be a math professor to know if fifty percent of your portfolio is in one thing, then it's not diversified by any I think, by any measure. All Right, very good, Very interesting, Thank you Peter for coming on the show. Very interesting to hear what you have to say about our property market getting better, which is good to hear.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much chairs you having me on, lovely to have you on.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to you again. That was Peter Monkton, chief eclumnist at the Bank of Queensland. Very good. Let's have some questions. Keep that up, folks. That idea of putting two or three questions in an email, why not? Are you going to take the effort to send in a question? Send in a couple. The money puzzle at the Australian dot com dot au is the address. Talk to you soon.