Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm christinaming it. It's Friday, July thirty one, twenty twenty six. Pizza chain Dominoes will close as many as sixty stores, half of them in Australia and New Zealand, after posting its biggest loss in decades. Investors are focusing on the positives, prompting a share price jump, but Dominoes is far from out of the woods. As skyrocketing inflation and some risky business decisions bite, so can the servers of super cheap pizza bounce back. Senior business reporter Eli Greenblatt is here in just a moment. Eli Greenblatt is a senior business reporter with The Australian and Eli I've got to start with the hard hitting questions, what's your go to pizza order?
Speaker 2: Like margarita and vegetarian. I've got kids as well, so they've got pretty simple tastes. And either if you can really judge the quality of a pizza chain or a store by how they do the very simple things, which is really a margarita or a vegetarian?
Speaker 1: I agree. I think it's hard to stuff up a margarita but I'm also partial to a barbecue chicken as well. But I agree that the quality is where it's at. Do you order from a Dominoza or a crust when you get your pizzas, or do you prefer to go out to eat?
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes I go just locally and so an independent pizza chain and kind of support them in the neighborhood. Normally I just call up and pick it up. A bit of fashion. I don't use Uber Eats or door Dash, which probably makes me a minority these days. So many people, especially young people, are on door Dash or they're on Uber Eats and the lord of their pizza that way, and they'll really go for a low cost operator or someone who's quick, someone who's around the corner. But you know, it's pretty tough out there because there's so much an offer out there. It's becoming incredibly hard in that fast food category.
Speaker 1: Domino's is one of those that has certainly fit the bill for fast food over the last few decades. Really in Australia, they're back in the news. What's going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look they're having some troubles and they've been in trouble for quite a few years actually, during COVID really was their best of times, where the shares run as high as about one hundred and sixty dollars. You know, they were worth tens of billions of dollars. But since then they've really collapsed. The shares are down about eighty or eighty five percent, and last night that had an update where they said that have good will impairments or write offs of about three hundred million dollars, so that will send them into a loss for the full year. It'll be only their second loss in about twenty one years of being on the ax. It'll be quite a deep loss sales and negative across all their regions, so it's Australia, New Zealand, Asia, Western Europe. They're really struggling, and they've really had some big mishaps along the way since the end of COVID, which has been around the cost of their pizza, the way their pizzas livered, opening too many stores and too many locations, expanding too quickly, they had extra delivery fees they slapped on which they had to then walk back from because customers were upset. Competition from a lot of other retailers, and it's really been quite difficult for them.
Speaker 1: On the flip side, Domino's share price is up slightly, certainly not to where it was as you said during COVID, but it has jumped a little bit. Why would the value of shares be going up when the company is losing money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. There's two interesting things going on at the same time, two factors influencing the share price when the shares came onto the market that were traded after Wednesday night's update. So first of all, yes, a throndrebillion dollar write off is pretty bad. That is non cash. However, it's an accounting treatment and it doesn't affect the underlying profitability of business. And in fact, even though there was that big write off, even though sales were negative, the underlying profit was actually okay. It came in with analyst expectations. It was actually a bit better than what some analysts expected. So in some ways it's a relief rally. But then the second thing is it really caught out the shorts, people that were short in the stock. And just to take maybe a few steps back, most people would be aware of, you know, the traditional way of making money in the share market where you buy low and sell high. So you'd buy shares in a company you think it will go higher, you sell for a higher price, you make a profit. But you can also make money on a falling share price. That's called shortening a stock. Now what's happened with Dominoes is Dominoes actually was the most shorted company on the AX. So when the share price started to rise Thursday morning, the shorts were caught out. They had to scramble back in to buy those positions back, to buy those shares so they could not lose as much money and give the shares back to the people they borrowed from. So they had to cover their position. They will pay dividend this year, but really it's a shrinking business. The share price is certainly collapsing, and they're struggling for a number of reasons, but one of them is they've decided to pull away from promotions and discounts. Normally would the Dominoes, there'd be lots of heavy advertising of one of promotions discounts, heavily discounted home delivery offers, which brought in the customers but wasn't very good for profit. So new management, new leadership at Domino's, they've decided to pull away from that and have kind of like an everyday low pricing, which is what you would see at, for example, a Dan Murphy's or a Bunnis. When you do that, the customers obviously will go elsewhere. So they've had falling sales. That's hurt their profits. They're shutting down stores. They're doing the best they can, but in the short term there will be some pain.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Friends and family of mine who have been subscribed to Domino's Marketing have said in the past that the text messages and emails that they've received, either with promotions or deals, have been almost inescapable at times. Some have even said that their relationship with Domino's Marketing has been one of the most enduring of their lives, and that's not happening anymore. Was that a misfire for them?
Speaker 2: Do you think? I think it was. I suppose it works for a while until it stops working. And I think perhaps during COVID people were desperate. They were keen on pizzas, very keen on home delivery, and that kind of worked. But really the market is changing and they were left behind. Also, they weren't really on those delivery apps like door Dash and Uber Eats. Now, there were some seemingly kind of logical reasons for that. They didn't want to give away their margins to Uber Eats. They also didn't want to trust their pizza to a third party deliverer. That's understandable. They had their own army of delivery people who did the delivery for them, so that was all kept in house. But really the market's shifted since then, especially for younger people. They're always on their mobile phones and they've got those apps. They've got Uber Eats, they've got door Dash, and if you're not on those apps, you're then just not seen at all, You're just invisible. You've got to be there. So a year or two ago, the American parent, the NASDAQ listed Domino's Inc. Decided to go on those apps. And look, there's going to be some turbulence there, there's going to be some lost margins, but it looks like it was the right decision because they had to be in front of the customer, and for now, the customer is on those apps, and you've got to be there.
Speaker 1: We have talked to you about Dominoes on the front before ELI. That was back in twenty twenty three. As you mentioned, when Dominoes lost millions of dollars because it had put a nominal service fee on top of its online orders. Australians at the time were starting to feel the pinch of the cost of living crisis and weren't prepared to cop that extra two dollars or so on their bill. At the time, they did apologize for that and said that it would never happen again, But they've made a slew of other quite big changes since then with all of that in mind, and should they have maybe seen this particular downturn coming, probably.
Speaker 2: Would have been helpful. I think if they looked deeper into the market and kind of understood the consumer and how they're shopping fast food and what they expect. I think, you know, funny enough, with that delivery fee they put on and they had to take off, that was to deal with inflation. That was itself to cover their extra costs. They had a huge increase in their bills for everything really, from oil, from the packaging and the pizza, from labor, from electricity, even cheese prices went up, and you know, funny enough, at the time, Domino's was one of the biggest buyer of Mozzulo cheese. In Australia they were number one. They used so much cheese those prices went up and they thought that's the only way to get the money back. But yes, customers weren't happy with that.
Speaker 1: Here's what Format Domino's Australia CEO Don Mage said about the ill fated service fee in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: The whole industry has a delivery service fee, so we fell on the trap that we should do it as well.
Speaker 1: But it's been a competitive advantage that we didn't have a delivery service being our customers made it very clear to us.
Speaker 2: Also, I think the problem for Dominoes they grew way too fast. Their attention was spread across too many regions, so they really though originally were Australia and New Zealand, Okay, that makes sense. They were Western Europe. That's maybe something you can handle. So they were France, Belgium, Germany, but then they went into Japan and then Taiwan and then Malaysia and Cambodia. It was too many regions across too many time zones, too much going on. You know, the Japanese pizza market is incredibly different to the Australian pizza market, or the American pizza market and the German market is different again. So really it was way too much to do all from a Brisbane headquarters and it was just they just lost focus.
Speaker 1: Coming up the changing tastes driving Domino's downturn. I'm hungry.
Speaker 2: What's so special as Dominoes?
Speaker 1: That was my turn to cook dinner and I thought, you know what, I'm just going to get the family Dominoes. If someone can tell me why Dominoes is so cheap in Australia, this is.
Speaker 2: Probably the best Dominoes I've had in years.
Speaker 1: Dominoes is quite unique in the Australian fast food market in that it hasn't really attracted the ire of say Starbucks during its time here. In fact, I would say that Australians are almost proud of the wholesale rejection of Starbucks in Australia. Do you think Australians and in some of those other markets maybe as well, are just falling out of love with cheap pizza or is there something deeper going on here, what's actually driving all of this?
Speaker 2: It could be I mean, people seem to have a love it or hate a relationship with Dominoes or a belief in Dominoes or thinking about their pizza, but they do remain incredibly popular thousands of stores in Australia and New Zealand, so that must be for a reason. People do want it and there is a need therefore cheat pizza. There's nothing wrong with that, I think, especially you know, for a family with their own cost living pressures, if they want to treat a cheat pizza does the trick and there's certainly know nothing wrong with that, I think for them. The competition just became huge, whether it's from KFC and then Goodman and Gomez and that whole kind of Mexican fast food scene that has come in, whether it's also the supermarkets bullies call that Aldi made a big push into frozen pizzas and really improving the quality of those pizzas and the prices. Now again, people may have a view on supermarket pizzas if they're good or bad or not, but they're very priced competitive with takeaway pizza from a store. The quality is improving all the time and the price is coming down all the time, so that's tough as well. And then you've got this whole other movement perhaps of people moving away from carbs or you know, it's a whole issue to itself about the flax or the boom in GLP one drugs like ozen pic where people are eating less and certainly eating less bready products like pizza.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is an interesting I guess aspect of this conversation, isn't it that what we eat and what we are seen to be eating has been affected by that broad a cultural shift. I guess. I don't know about you, but it's really just made me want a slice of pizza, to be honest. Thanks Eli. Eli Greenblatt is a senior business reporter with The Australian. You can read all his reporting and analysis right now at the Australian dot com dot au