Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctyesmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. This is Healthy Her with Amelia Phillips and welcome to one of my Mini motivation episodes, which are shorter, bite sized conversations where we really focus on a specific topic so that you can feel armed and motivated to make the positive changes to your health and ultimately your happiness as well. Today we are drilling down into one of the most powerful levers we can pull when it comes to our health and our mood, and that is sleep.
Speaker 2: Ah yes, sleep, gosh, what a topic.
Speaker 1: So today we're going to focus on one specific sleep struggle, and that is insomnia.
Speaker 2: Caused by stress.
Speaker 1: Maybe you're going through a stressful time right now and your sleep is being disrupted, or maybe you've got a busy period coming up and you want to be armed with the tools and the strategies needed. I've just come off the back of such a busy period with my business partner, Doc Diesmina in Sydney, and gosh, my.
Speaker 2: Sleep was so disrupted that week.
Speaker 1: But luckily I knew that it was only going to be this short one week period, and so I was kind of able to cope and manage and there was an end in sight. But what happens if your stress is chronic? If there is no end in sight. Maybe you've got a horrible boss or a really challenging work situation, or you're going through a big life upheaval, trouble with the kids or partner or finances. Oh my gosh, the stress list is absolutely endless. I posed this challenge and this issue of stress insomnia to a sleep expert recently, Lisa Moltman. Now she's the founder of the Sleep Connection. She's a keynote speaker, facilitator, sleep educator, works with adults. She works with teenagers and children who really want to improve the quality of their sleep and understand their sleep better. So here's what Lisa had to say about insomnia caused by stress. You suffered from chronic insomnia due to a period of heightened work, stress and some personal challenges. So you, of all people, Lisa knows what it feels like to be at that rock bottom moment, desperate for relief, and you understand how much of an impact poor sleep can have on mental health relationships, just our overall wellbeing.
Speaker 3: Do you mind sharing your story.
Speaker 1: And I guess a message of hope for any of my listeners who might be going through this insomnia period due to the stress in their life.
Speaker 4: My story was just having a very stressful work situation and stage where every member of the work group that I worked with, all the other employees, had some form of stress happening, and you know, one was reflex. Sometimes give me your reflex because I'd rather that than this insomnia, and then that combined with very intense situations on the home front with my father with dementia and looking after a neighbor who was very much a life and death situation.
Speaker 5: So I was just totally off the wall.
Speaker 3: How long was that stressful period going on for?
Speaker 4: I must say I have had bouts of insomnia off and on quite a few times.
Speaker 5: That was a good six months.
Speaker 4: Back then, I didn't really understand the whole parisympathetic nervous system side of things, so I didn't understand why my GP was telling me to go to yoga instead of go jogging at night.
Speaker 1: Tell me what was your insomnia symptoms? How did it express itself in you? Was it not being able to get to sleep? Was it crashing out and then waking up and not being able to fall back asleep?
Speaker 3: What was it?
Speaker 4: And it was mostly sometimes it was not being able to fall asleep. Mostly it was waking up the good old three o'clock in the morning and just waking up way too early in the morning and just immedia wake up. You just tend towards the negative, you know, because that's what lack of sleep does.
Speaker 3: Three am doomers and you wake up.
Speaker 5: And go, oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: For me, I actually had to change jobs, so I had to make something significant changes.
Speaker 5: I know that not everybody could do that.
Speaker 1: Did you have a rock bottom moment where you're like, this has to change and it's the job that I think is going to change that. Or had you been sort of trying to fix your sleep for a while.
Speaker 4: I'd been trying to fix it for a while, and I think if people are helping you fix insomnia, I would say, make sure you research a little bit yourself, so get some understanding about insomnia and before you go and see someone. Because I still didn't understand that whole sleep restriction. Yeah, I'm not sure that it was described as well as it is now, So that was probably ten plus years ago.
Speaker 1: I want to put us in the shoes of my beautiful listeners who might be sitting here going that is me. I suffer from insomnia, and I am going through a stressful period of my life. Short of buying a caravan and escaping, which I'm sure many of us have dreamed about doing. Where do we start, Lisa, what's your advice to us that either can't fall asleep because of stress or waking up with the.
Speaker 3: Three M Doomers.
Speaker 1: I'm reticent to ask out already stressed listeners to go and do lots of hard stuff. But tell me, because sleep is so important, what we should be doing.
Speaker 4: I think it's personally understanding the relationship of friends, stress, and sleep, so that you can acknowledge that and address what you can. So there are some things we can't change, it's the wisdom prayer, change what you can and what you can't.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's actually quite powerful. I just want to sit on that for a second. Can you just say that again.
Speaker 5: So it's the wisdom prayer.
Speaker 4: Whatever your faith is or not, it's still saying, God, grant me the wisdom to change what I can, to accept what I can't, and the wisdom to know the difference. So that might be every one of your members is going to be completely different.
Speaker 1: You know that.
Speaker 4: Again, you don't know what it's like to have a child with a disability, or this or that or the other.
Speaker 5: It's what you can.
Speaker 1: Change, for example, alcohol, and it might not be becoming a teetotaler, but it might be halving the amount of alcohol intake or doubling your amount of alcohol free nights what can you change today to help?
Speaker 3: And that's you know, the sleep hygiene check this and all of that.
Speaker 4: Dropping things out so you which is more your area, but you know, giving yourself that moment because often the alcohol or the scene with the coffee or the whatever, it might be hung er, it might be just on a moment. So what is that moment for you? And just cutting yourself some slack in the evening go It's okay to stop, It's okay, you don't need.
Speaker 5: To be keeping on doing things.
Speaker 4: So actually the acknowledging the relationship between stress, the being kind to yourself and sharing with your family what.
Speaker 5: The situation is.
Speaker 4: I remember when I had crazy menopause systems over at an article to them that someone else has written and had also at the table. One daughter got into the practical, the other got into the YEA was very interesting anyway. So it's actually just describing that to whatever leman you know your family can understand. And then it's getting help. It could be the coaching. There's insomnia coaching out of say you're in Sydney, the.
Speaker 5: Walcock Institute, so that's group coaching.
Speaker 4: There's one on one coaching, and I will put in the show notes. There's a whole lot of DBT or DBT CBTI which is online and starting to research and understand that yourself, and you'll start to understand the relationship.
Speaker 5: Between relaxation I just didn't know about.
Speaker 4: You know, sounds really basic, but deepbreathing to bring that sympathetic parasit sympathetic nervous system down.
Speaker 1: Tell me at what point should we seek extra help? How long do you think we should be suffering with insomnia before we go? You know what, I need a helping hand here, and I'm going to go into the Wallcock Institute, for example, and do a group program or a one on one session.
Speaker 4: Often they say it's you know, three months a week or three months kind of thing. But given that there are all these resources, literally very new resources online, I would look into it straight away. And also doing a group one can often make you feel less alone and go oh okay and.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent, and it's usually more affordable as well.
Speaker 4: It's like doing your course Amelia Vitality three sixty. It's like making a good thing better, So don't wait to you feeling really bad.
Speaker 5: It's like, let's nip it in the butt now.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health. If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doctor Asmina, an incredible integrative GP. Together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant?
Speaker 3: Or maybe missing key nutrients?
Speaker 1: Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check.
Speaker 3: Out the show notes for more.
Speaker 1: I can almost feel a collective gasp from my listeners who are like insomnia three nights a week for three months. I'd say there'd be a lot of listeners that are like, honey, I've been like that for three years, not three months.
Speaker 4: And it's stopping accepting it that it's normalized because we we normalize too many things and it's like we don't have to be that way. So for me, obviously, the second bat of insomnia for menopause. So obviously getting onto menopause systems was helpful.
Speaker 1: That's a big one, menopause and the symptoms insomnia through menopause. And I can tell you that exercise and really dialing up nutrient quality, particularly around those cruciferous vegetables which contain a lot of nutrients to help you metabolize your hormones better, can really help with symptom management.
Speaker 3: But it's a real thing.
Speaker 1: I see women that have been beautiful sleep as their whole life suddenly just so frustrated, staring at the ceiling at three am.
Speaker 4: So I think getting the help because I can give you the you know we've talked about in the previous session of sleep respection, the studious control, but I think actually feeling like you're doing it as a process because it can be very challenging. So it can be a processed online or can approp the a process for a group of people to go, oh, okay, I'm only sleeping six hours, I'm in bed for that length of time. So I should just bring it back by half an hour, So just having it as a helpful process rather than kind of grabbing.
Speaker 5: At different straws. Yeah, and one.
Speaker 4: Hundred percent the alcohol and the exercise, as in having the exercise.
Speaker 5: Exercise is one of the best things you can do for deep quality sleep.
Speaker 4: And often everything goes the opposite. Oh, I'm too tired to exercise.
Speaker 5: That's a mean no matter what. Even you know, I'll.
Speaker 4: Often, even when it's it's back in the winter, I'll go for a walk because I actually find it really calming where there's not all this stimulus around.
Speaker 5: It's actual really calming.
Speaker 1: I always remember remember who had young children, and she was waking up really early to exercise. It took her a while to get into the habit of it, and I said, how do you do it when you're so sleep deprived and tired? How do you get up early to exercise? She wasn't doing it seven days a week, but maybe three days a week. She was waking up earlier. She said, I say to myself, I'm going to be tired no matter what. I would rather be tired having exercised than not. And then she would go on to say, ironically, the days that I did exercise, Not only was I less tired, she said, I slept so much better.
Speaker 3: The night after that. I was like, amen, what a great example.
Speaker 1: Okay, So just to wrap up for the ladies that maybe are not quite ready to go and see someone, but they are suffering these bouts of insomnia, what would you recommend that we do if we wake up at three am in the morning and our brain goes bing. I think you said in our previous session, if you're awake for more than twenty minutes, it's probably a good idea to get up.
Speaker 3: What do you do and what do you recommend we do?
Speaker 5: Thank Christ?
Speaker 4: The first thing to realize is that every single one of us wakes up a couple of times a night. So we come into our light sleep and we're rather conscious that we've woken up, or we just roll over and go.
Speaker 5: Back to sleep.
Speaker 4: So we all come into light sleep and literally coming to be awake.
Speaker 5: So it's actually acknowledging that and accepting that. So don't once you're awake somebody go, oh, no, I'm awake now.
Speaker 1: So but this is normal, my beautiful sleep cycle. I need to pee, yes, excusely me?
Speaker 4: So as so always that wrestle of do I pin that wakes me up more if I don't.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, So just.
Speaker 4: Accept it, make you go in toilet, and then maybe even just read for five minutes, so rather than going wonder if I'm going to go back to sleep and you get all these thoughts going through your brain, and actually what I do because I read and I fall asleep reading, then I will pick up my book if I need to, and I've got a little orange clip on light and I might just read and then making sure it's a really basic book, not something that you have to read about the thought.
Speaker 3: That's going to stimulate you.
Speaker 1: And orange light is a conscious choice as opposed to just a white light.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's really also just so I don't make up my husband, but it might.
Speaker 4: It's just a little clip on light that my end gave me, so it's not over stimulating.
Speaker 5: It's just tip it onto the book. It just feels more soothing too, So I'll just read.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Some researchers will say get up and get to another room. Some will say just sitting in a chair is enough. So basically, if you're awake for longer than twenty minutes, don't stay there, do something else, don't be trying to go back to sleep. So some people do all sorts of things, the must relaxation and all sorts of things. I find muscle relaxation annoying because I feel like I'm trying to do it, whereas if I'm reading, I'm just distracting myself.
Speaker 5: Also, have a pen and paper beside your bed, because things will come up into your brain.
Speaker 4: Says you know, even on my arm here, I've written something from last night that I haven't completely got off. So I'll even try not to put the light on. I'll just write something on my hands so that in the morning I know what it is, but don't.
Speaker 5: Type it in that.
Speaker 4: To my opinion, though, I always have a piece of paper and a pen, and I will Also a session little while ago, and one of the guys said one of the best tips you gave me, which really surprised me. He said, was just spending some time, not anywhere near bedtime, but just writing down your thoughts. Might be I'm concerned about this, so I'll talk to this person tomorrow or I need to do that, because otherwise what you do is you hold it in your head and go I hope I remember that morning, and it really surprised me that he found that helpful. Like often with anxious children they might do that and scure it up and put it away or do different things, but he found that helpful. So making sure they have that moment just five minutes in the evening, anything that you're concerned about what your next step is, because often what happens is when you're awaking them all the night. As I've said before, the logical part of your brain is not working, so you start to ruminate on it without the help of your logical brain, going that'll.
Speaker 5: Be fine tomorrow morning.
Speaker 4: It's like when you start catastrophizing, ruminating. Am I even thinking that way? That's literally because your decisive brain is not going, oh no, all you do is that tomorrow it will be fine.
Speaker 1: There is the most beautiful Lunic cartoon of that. Remember that wonderful cartoonist Lunic. Oh, I love it, Yes, the Whale of Doom he calls it. And it's this beautiful cartoon. I'll put a link to it in the show notes. The Whale of Doom. And he goes through this series and then you know, at the very end of the cartoon. It ends up being his sardine on toast in the morning and I love that the three Am Whale of Doom. All right, well, just to wrap up, you mentioned the Walcock Institute, but I just wanted to double check any specific books, podcasts, or programs that you feel could be really helpful to our stress insomnia mums listening to this episode.
Speaker 4: I will share some links in Sydney. The Wallcock Institute is the key institute for Sydney and that has sleep coaching group classes, you can get sleep tests, that sort of thing. There's all the online programs that I will share with you in the notes, and really it's just making sure that you get the help you need for yourself and your child, whether that's face to face online and just general sleep education so you can start.
Speaker 5: To understand a bit more the why and then it's easier.
Speaker 4: To understand that what you need to do because I never understood the sleep restriction.
Speaker 5: Why would I do that?
Speaker 1: And as a reformed survivor of sleep insomnia, can you leave us with a message of hope that yes, it can be improved and life can return to feeling normal and full of energy again.
Speaker 4: Yes, I come one hundred percent say that and going through so many cycles.
Speaker 5: I never thought that would happen.
Speaker 4: I remember being on a van trip in New Zealand and going, oh my gosh, I've just slept for nine hours without getting up.
Speaker 5: So it's amazing.
Speaker 4: People who do sleep like that just totally take it for granted, but yes, it can happen for you.
Speaker 3: Tobe, keep working at it.
Speaker 1: Sleep is such an important foundation pillar of health and our emotional health as well. Lisa Mulman, thank you so.
Speaker 5: Much, wonderful, thank you for having me, Amelia.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doctor Esmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted. What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed, insulin resistant, or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three six Z dot Health or check out the show notes for more