Speaker 1: Live on Sky News. This is Shari.
Speaker 2: Good evening and welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: I'm Danikiti, Giorgio filling in this week for Shari.
Speaker 2: Marks and coming up tonight. All China had to do.
Speaker 3: Was put on a banquet and do a musical sing along, and it's wood our Prime Minister. What has Anthony Alberanesi actually achieved during his trip so far? Big Australia keeps getting bigger. A record number of arrivals entered the country last month. A British girl is sent home from her school's diversity day.
Speaker 2: For wearing a union jack dress.
Speaker 3: We'll go live to London for the latest on this identity madness. And young adults are refusing to have kids because they have climate anxiety.
Speaker 2: You heard that correct. More on this climate zelatory shortly, but first tonight.
Speaker 3: What has actually changed in our relationship with China during Anthony Alberanesi's trip, Because it seems this is the same old China making all of the rules and the Prime Minister bends over backwards to a peace. In fact, all it takes, apparently is a big banquet and a musical sing along and Albow is charmed by the Red Communist lights.
Speaker 1: I've got to.
Speaker 4: Say that the band there in the Great Hall played a different version of Paul Kelly's to Her Door of Midnight, Earl's Power and the Passion of a range of songs as well. That obviously took them a long period of time, and those gestures matter, respect matters between countries, and I think I took that as being a very warm gesture indeed, and they did it very well, I must say as well powder Finger as well, they did the full kitten kervertle, and so it was a splendid occasion.
Speaker 3: Wow, dining room diplomacy in the Great Hall, throwing a bit of Peter Garrett, Paul Kelly and some flattery and boom, you can apparently sell anything to this Prime Minister. I mean, never mind, China is our greatest strategic threat, but a couple of chords of power and the passion and the power is all yours, Shijingping. I mean, if China wasn't so dangerous, you'd laugh and make no mistake, Beijing is absolutely reveling in the pleasantries, the pomp and ceremony and how it looks to the world, especially at a time when Australia is under pressure from its number one ally the United States, to increased defense spending and declare what it would do should China go to war with Taiwan. So, of course, the front page of China's mouthpiece, the China Daily is today hailing the visit a triumph, saying the turnaround in China Australia ties benefits both and that President She told the PM that the turnaround of China Australia relations has proved adhering to the principles of treating each other as equals. Seeking common ground while shelving differences is in line with the fundamental interests of both China and Australia as well as their peoples. In other words, look out, Donald Trump, if you want China on side, be a lapdog like Anthony Albinizi. But the hypocrisy of it, China has not treated us as it's equal. Remember the live fire drills off our coasts, the spiceships sent our way, the military near misses, the punitive tariffs and Australian goods, and of course a lack of investigation into the origins of coronavirus. This is of course, all about how Albo's visit looks for Beijing. To the world, and the handsome boy from Australia is all too willing to oblige, as he stood at the Great Wall of China today with his Rabbito's hat at top his head.
Speaker 4: Here today, of course, I have the sense of history following in the footsteps of the Labor Prime Minister GoF Whitlam, who was the first Prime minister to visit here in nineteen seventy three. It followed the correct decision that he made as leader of the Labor Party in nineteen seventy one, and that was of course at the time when that was a controversial decision to recognize the People's Republic of China.
Speaker 3: Well, it was a very different China when GoF Whitlam visited in the seventies. I mean, first and foremost, China wasn't conducting light fire drills off our coast and secondly, it wasn't undermining our sovereignty in the process. But the PM can't bring himself to push back, and that is the issue.
Speaker 4: I say the same thing in Beijing as I say in Bankstown, which is that the Australian government supports free and fair trade. It's in the interests of the world to have free and fair trade and will continue to engage that way. I've seen that will cooperate where we can, disagree where we must, but engage in our national interest.
Speaker 3: Well, what does the PM actually disagree with China on and what has actually changed to benefit Australia.
Speaker 2: Who really is cooperating.
Speaker 3: Where they can and disagreeing where we must, Because it seems there's a lot of what China wants but not what we want. In fact, Beijing has played elbow like a puppet. China's state media issued this morning today to the PM in an editorial in The Global Times, saying at present there are specific issues between China and Australia that need to be discussed, such as the lease of daw And Port and the expansion of the China Australia Free Trade Agreement. But the PM today said he didn't even raise the issue during a meeting with Chinese premiere last night.
Speaker 1: Did that issue come up in your two hour discussion with Premier lead?
Speaker 2: And secondly, are.
Speaker 5: You are you prepared for Australia to be put back into the deep trees over that issue?
Speaker 4: Well, the answer is no, and the answer as well that shouldn't come as any surprise. I've had the same position as when I was the Shadow Infrastructure Minister when the decision was made to provide a federal incentive by the Liberal Party to flog off the Port of Darwin. My position hasn't changed over a long period of time, not to the first.
Speaker 3: And yesterday the PM insisted the Port of Darwin did not need to be raised with President Chijing Ping, despite promising to take it back from China.
Speaker 4: I don't need to sorry to jump in none. It wasn't raised. I can't be clear.
Speaker 1: As any were any issues raised by him.
Speaker 4: I can't be clearer than to say the question I was asked was not raised.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's so clear the Prime Minister is terrified of offending and this latest warning from China tells you that when Alia does something that anoys Beijing, we go back to square one again in the deep freeze. The Global Times went on to say there are also practical obstacles, especially the tendencies toward Pan politization and Pan securization, as well as interference from third parties. Now clearly this is a veiled reference to the Trump administration. China is publicly throwing its support behind Anthony Albanesi while trying to drive a wedge between Australia and the United States when China sees the US and ANSAs as a military threat to its own ambitions. Premierly also repeatedly pressured Anthony Abanesi to treat Chinese companies in a fair, open and non discriminatory manner. During a speech to Australian and Chinese business leaders, he said, we hope that the Australian side will treat Chinese enterprises visiting Australia fairly and properly solve the problems encountered by enterprises in market access, investment review and other aspects. I fancy China dictating to us what fair market access actually looks like. Remember China's tariffs on balley, beef, wine, cotton, lobsters, the issues that created and all because of Australia's push for an independent investigation into the origins of COVID nineteen. But Albo seems to think this is all in the spirit of diplomacy.
Speaker 4: And one of the things that my government does is engage in diplomacy. We don't shout with megaphones. We engage in diplomacy. That is in Australia's interest.
Speaker 2: So really nothing has changed.
Speaker 3: It's the same old China making all of the rules and it's all for show for the world, and Albo is enabling it by being so weak on the world stage and not standing up for our values.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know. Maybe it'll take a.
Speaker 3: Musical sing along for the Prime Minister to understand what's at stake. After all, all it takes to wu Albo is a bit of Midnight Oil's power and passion. Yeah, and Peter Garrett saying there, sometimes you've got to take the hardest line.
Speaker 2: What a shame the Handsome boy didn't get that memo.
Speaker 3: Joining us now is former Victorian Liberal Party president Michael Kroger and former Labor Senator Graham Richardson.
Speaker 2: Hi to both of you.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for joining me on the show. Let's start with Anthony Abernezi's meetings in China and dealings with China. In fact, in the last hour the Prime Minister has been meeting with Chinese diplomats for a bit of panda diplomacy.
Speaker 2: Have a look at this.
Speaker 4: When I hosted Premier League in Australia last year for our annual Leader's dialogue. Premier League graciously agreed to the request that we had made to have two of your ambassadors known as pandas visit Adelaide and to replace the pandas who have been such an important positive feature of building the relations between Australia and this province in particular. And I thank these province for the arrival of our two newest guests in Adelaide, who have been so well received.
Speaker 3: It's all very sweet, all very kind, is it. And let me just give you both a reminder. This is all it takes to woo Anthony Albanezi.
Speaker 1: I've got to.
Speaker 4: Say that the band there in the Great Hall played a different version of Paul Kelly's to Her Door of Midnight, Earl's Power and the Passion powder Finger as well they did the full kitten Kerbrtle and so it was a splendid occasion.
Speaker 3: Michael, nothing like a musical sing along from our greatest strategic threat to get the PM on side. I mean, you've got to actually wonder what Australia is getting out of this. I mean, perhaps if we put it to music, it might help the PM understand that it's China making the rules.
Speaker 6: Well, we're eaving a big dose of international humiliation and embarrassment. I mean, seriously, this bloke is so diminished after this visit. You'd think a leader of a strong, powerful, proud middle power like Australia. You think the leader, in the hours of discussions he's had with the Chinese leadership would raise would raise net zero. Why doesn't he ask the Chinese about not committing to zero, about them building dozens and dozens of coal fire power plants, if that's a great concern to Alban easy, Why doesn't he ask the Chinese about their intentions towards Taiwan. Why doesn't he ask them about their relationship with Russia and the fact that they are supplying the weapons that are killing Ukrainians. And on the trade issue, why wouldn't he ask them to stop producing the world's greatest number of fake goods, I mean fake handbags, fake wallets, any leather goods, fake watches, all these fakes ripping off Western brands come out of China. You would have thought he might have said, on behalf of the world, can you stop producing these fakes? But all we get is sort of pandas and high tea and midnight oil. Alban easy is motivated by one thing, not offending voters in Benelong Deacon and Mensies threes and any other seat Chisholm, which has got a large proportion of Chinese voters. That's basically what this blake's doing about doing over there. Otherwise, this whole trip has been a total humiliation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like a junket to be honest, I just don't understand what's.
Speaker 2: Been achieved here.
Speaker 3: And Graham, the Primesis has said today he wanted to be like GoF Whitlam when he visited China back in the seventies.
Speaker 2: I'm fair to say that.
Speaker 3: This is a very different China that we are dealing with right now compared to them. I mean, we're talking live fire drills off our coast, military near missus, punitive tariffs on Australian goods, and all because we dared to even say we need a thorough and independent investigation into the origins of COVID nineteen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Chinese reacted very badly to Australia seeking the truth. And yet you know, seeking the truths has got to be our job, not just now but forever. We're not in the business of nonsense, which is unfortunately still there with the Chinese. They're protestations over what happened in the lab and what didn't. I think it's fairly pathetic.
Speaker 3: And Graham, what do you say about the Prime Minister's visits so far?
Speaker 2: Realistically? What has he achieved?
Speaker 5: Not a great deal. I don't think he was ever going to. I think what these things do is you try and start to build a relationship after one has been carved up. I think obviously with Morris and there was no relationship at the end, so you're starting from scratch. You've got to rebuild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this is I think there's day three of the extended six day tour, so more embarrassment to come. Now let's move on, because former Labor Minister Ed Hugh Sick has told the government not to be heavy handed when responding to Envoy Gillian Siegel's recommendations to combat rising anti Semitism.
Speaker 2: The backbench MP.
Speaker 3: Has raised concerns about the reports, assertions that young people were more at risk of becoming anti Semites and that its singled out the ABC for spreading this information.
Speaker 2: Have a listened to.
Speaker 7: This, so we're going through it right, I'd get careful about it this early stage. Us taking positions straight away on this, Let's take the time to think it through.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of thoughts be put into it.
Speaker 2: Michael, he's saying, I need time to think it through.
Speaker 3: Has he seen what's been happening in Australia for almost two years?
Speaker 6: Well, obviously not, I mean quite Frankly, I haven't seen any mosques burning down. I haven't seen there are reports, but I haven't seen many reports of Muslims being abused, having to hide there, hide their clothing. I haven't seen, you know, all of the demonstrations we've seen against the Jewish community in Israel, I haven't seen those against Iran. I haven't seen a single demonstration against Iran. I haven't seen a single demonstration against Tamas. I haven't heard Humas condemned at many of these Palestinian allegedly Palestinian rallies, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. I mean, Ed's got to get his head out of the sand, and you know, stop stop this whole gas lighting. Ever, everyone everyone knows Australia is in you know, in the sinbin worldwide because of the massive outbreak of antisemitism and Jewish hatred that has been on the streets of Melbourne and Sydney and other places, at university campuses, at synagogues around this country. Is this completely blind? You know? But this, this is what you get from from people who just ignore reality. And Jillian Siegel produced an outstanding report. Yes, after a lot of thought, and let's just hope the albanis the government accepts all of her recommendations.
Speaker 2: No, look, I absolutely agree.
Speaker 3: And you know, meanwhile, the Education Minister Jason Clare said today that the government will receive a report from its Special Envoy to combat Islamophobia next month.
Speaker 2: Graham, this is the problem with labor.
Speaker 3: At every turn, they've conflated anti Semitism with Islamophobia, as if they're both equal in this country right now.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm not sure if they're equal, but I know that, you know, the and islam stuff is growing. You know, there's always been people who don't like Jews' that's you know, that's as old as time. You can't get around that. And those people can't be you know, talking to a better point of view, a more a much kinder point of view. They just can't be talked into that they're going to remain and he said, mites, and you've just got to accept the fact that you're going to have to deal with them.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, and I mean that's why I guess that there's this report sitting on the Prime Minister's desk waiting for review and waiting for some recommendations to be implemented as soon as possible. Let's move on now, Melbourne rate payers are being built one hundred and thirty thousand dollars so that Melbourne Lord Man Nick Reese and three Melbourne counselors can go to China, Japan and Hong Kong on a junket flying business class. Nick Reese says the trip is a reflection of our incredible multicultural city. The city of Melbourne is aggressively hunting international headquarters and we are putting our best foot forward.
Speaker 2: With this strong delegation.
Speaker 3: Michael Sureley, you'd think someone in the Council would go, gee, the optics of this one are not great.
Speaker 5: Not great, and bloody all.
Speaker 6: I think every time a councilor a councilor goes overseas, it's a line for the newspapers and this is no different to that. Look, I think Nick Greece is a serious lord mayor. He's got three councilors going with him. We've got Chinese backgrounds of one description or another. I know two of those councilors pretty well. He's going to three cities in China and one city in Japan. I hope something comes good out of it. I wish him well. I don't think Nick greecee is the type of blake who needs a free holiday. So he's got lots of challenges here and anything you can do to increase the profile of Melbourne and Victoria good on him. So yet, look, the cost is a lot. They should go economy of course and stay in three star hotels like normal people. But I don't mind him going and on this type of issue, I trust Nick Greece's judgment quite frankly.
Speaker 2: Great, we're almost out of time, But what do you think.
Speaker 5: I think I'd substantially agree with what Michael said. I do trust Reese's judgment. I think he's a sound sort of person, not given the shooting from the hip. You know, he considers these positions before he announces them, so I think you've just got to trust him.
Speaker 3: All right, Look, fair enough, Graham, Richards and Michael Kraig, are good to see you both. Thanks very much for coming on the show this evening.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: We're joining me now to unpack the Prime Minister's trip to China is shadow Foreign Affairs Minister Michaylia Cash. Senator, it's great to see you. Thank you so much for joining me. I asked earlier what has actually changed in our relationship with China during Anthony Albanese's trip, because it seems that this is the same old China making the rules and the Prime Minister bends over backwards to appease. China's Premier League has urged the PM to ensure Chinese companies are treated in a fair, open and non discriminatory way, while China's state media says the port of Darwin is still an issue that needs to be discussed. Senator, the PM didn't raise Darwin during his meetings.
Speaker 2: But if China has already.
Speaker 3: Handed us this list of demands, well what happens if we don't comply?
Speaker 2: Is it deja vu deep freeze all over again.
Speaker 8: Well, let's be clear, Danika that the coalition government wants Australia and China to have a good relationship. They are an important trading partner. The relationship needs to be a respectful one and that respect needs to go both ways. Mister Albanesi needs to be very clear. A decision has been made to return the port of Darwin to Australian control. Mister ALBERNIZI needs to be clear in relation to the decision and in a respect for relationship, that decision needs to be respected. I mean the Australian government, like any government, makes decisions in relation to foreign investment on a risk based, case by case basis to ensure that the investment is not contrary to our national interest. I mean the Coalition has been very clear the return of the Port of Darwin to Australian control is in Australia's best interest. Now, mister Alberinezi says his government is committed to the return.
Speaker 2: But the issue has arisen.
Speaker 8: Mister Albersi has not taken any action Danika to facilitate the return and his inaction is now creating instability. So mister Albersi needs to reaffirm the decision in relation to the port of Dara and returning to Australian control. But he also needs to be very very clear what actions is his government taking to facilitate return.
Speaker 2: What is the process, what is the framework? What is the timeline?
Speaker 8: Mister Alberzi has created himself by his inaction uncertainty. He needs to rectify urgently this situation.
Speaker 3: Oh look absolutely, I just think he's just so petrified of offending right now. The PM has downplayed a report in The China Daily which claimed he told President she he did not want to support Taiwan's independence. Have a listen to what he said.
Speaker 4: You're trying to quote Chinese readout that I haven't seen what we what we do. What we do has continue to support a one China policy. We support the status quo by definition, we don't support any unilateral action on Taiwan. That's been in our position for a long period of time.
Speaker 3: Senator, I mean, sure, okay, he's standing by that position. But the issue is.
Speaker 2: Is Anthony Alberanese's failure to stand up towards China.
Speaker 3: You know, when it comes to military intimidation, the punity of tariffs, he's not standing up for our values.
Speaker 8: Well, I think it is very concerned in Daneka that mister Albanese he did have a meeting, face to face meeting with presidents Jujuiping and got no assurances in relation to concerns he raised on regional strategic issues.
Speaker 2: I think what is even worse though.
Speaker 8: Is that mister Albanese says he raised these issues, but from all the reporting, mister Alberanese's concerns have been dismissed. Mister Alberanesi needs to ensure that in a respectful relationship, because as I said, the Coalition wants a relationship with China. They are our largest trading partner. We want the relationship to work. But in a respectful relationship, you listen and then you provide the assurance. The way in which the circumnavigation occurred of Australia was not conducted in a respectful manner. The Coalition called it out at the time and we will call it out again. But let us also be very very clear, mister Albanesi, when it comes to concerns about stability within the region, should have been clear that the United that Australia supports the United States presence in the Indo Pacific and the stability that the United States brings to the region absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean it's also very clear that China is trying to drive a wedge right now between Australia and the United States. At a time where the US is pressuring us to lift our defense spending to give us to get a position on Taiwan, it's very clear what China is doing. Senator, I want to ask you on another matter. Big Australia keeps getting bigger. A record thirty three thousand net permanent and long term arrivals came into the country in May, Senator, Labor keeps breaking records time and time again when it comes to migration. At the same time, we saw that leak Treasury advice the other day saying that Labor won't meet its housing targets.
Speaker 2: Where are we going to put all these people? We can't even get ossies into houses.
Speaker 8: Well today, that's now the obvious question, and the problem is this, there is no answer to that question.
Speaker 2: The government doesn't have a clue when.
Speaker 8: It comes to housing for Australians and more generally housing for people who come here. But what's worse now, Daniker, is based on the figures that we have just seen, I don't think the government actually cares. I mean, Janika, you and I understand why people want to come to Australia, it is a great country. However, governments need to ensure that migration.
Speaker 2: Is managed sustainably.
Speaker 8: In other words, if you're bringing people into the country, you need to ensure that there is the appropriate infrastructure, and you need to ensure that not only are their houses for Australians, there are houses for the people you are bringing in. Labor is a failure when it comes to the management of Australia's migration program, but more than that, in failing to ensure the necessary infrastructure and the necessary housing infrastructure, labor are failing Australians. So I'm sorry there is no answer to your question because I don't think labor actually care and that's reflected in the latest numbers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, completely agree, and big Australia's care. He's getting bigger and bigger. Sanata mckayleay Cash, good to see you. Thank you very much for joining me on the show this evening. Appreciate it. Look coming up after the break, the real cost of net zero will tell you just how much the renewables only fantasy is costing this country.
Speaker 2: Brace yourselves.
Speaker 3: Plus Donald Trump asks Ukraine whether it could strike Moscow. Strategic Analysis Australia Director Michael Schubridge will have the latest that's next.
Speaker 2: Welcome back well.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump reportedly asked Vladimir Zelenski whether Ukraine could strike Moscow during a call on July fourth, as the president grows increasingly frustrated with Russia.
Speaker 2: But Trump appeared to brush away the idea today.
Speaker 9: Should Zelenski target Moscow or deeper into Russia?
Speaker 1: He shouldn't target Moscow? Are you on your plane's side?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: I know I'm on nobody's side.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna know what I want to you know the side I'm on humanity side.
Speaker 4: I want to stop the killing of thousands of people a week. I want to stop the killing.
Speaker 3: To discuss this and more is Strategic Analysis Australia Director Michael Schubridge.
Speaker 2: Michael, thanks for joining me.
Speaker 3: What do you make of this report that Donald Trump asked Ukraine if it could strike Moscow?
Speaker 2: What is he preparing for?
Speaker 9: Well, Deniker, I think it was all about Trump's frustration with Putin boiling over, and some good has come from that because he's opened up the supply of critical defensive weapons like Patriot counter missile interceptors for Ukraine. But his core position is he doesn't want the war continuing, and he thinks Ukraine striking Moscow is only going to prolong the war. I'm not sure that's right, but that seems to be what Trump is thinking.
Speaker 3: Well, what does it say more broadly about Trump's growing frustration with China. We know that the US has already resumed arms with Ukraine.
Speaker 2: How do you see this playing out?
Speaker 3: Because I know that a lot of Russian state media is laughing this off, that they're not taking Dot Trump's threats seriously.
Speaker 9: Well, they're probably right too, because he's made threats before, like he's going to put a whole lot of new sanctions on Russia and on countries buying Russian oil, but he hasn't ever followed through. He's said he's given Putin fifty days to agree to a ceasefire or he'll put one hundred percent sanctions on Russia. But I think he's still got a credibility problem there, and the reaction in Ukraine is fifty days. Well, if he was serious, he'd be doing it now. So the problem is he's flip flopped so much around Ukraine and given Putin so many free passes. Russia isn't taking him seriously.
Speaker 3: No, they're clearly not so very curious to see how this one plays out. Let's turn to Israel now Prime Minister Benjamin Nenya, who's governing coalition is fracturing after an ultra Orthodox party united to Judaism quit. What could this mean for the war in ga and a potential ceasefire.
Speaker 9: Well, this, by itself, if nothing else happens, leaves Netnahu with a one seat majority in the parliament in Israel. So if he loses another coalition partner and there are more ultra Orthodox parties in his governing coalition, then he would be in minority government. That could happen. And this is all about the ultra Orthodox not wanting to have to do military service, which they haven't had to for decades. But the rest of the Israeli society is saying, why are we sending our sons and daughters into the war and the ultra Orthodox are immune?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I just wonder how this would go and what it would mean for the war. More broadly, I want to ask you about and well, the problem, yes, sorry.
Speaker 9: The problem for the war more broadly is the far right part of his governing coalition don't want him to agree terms with Hamas. So he can't end the war and keep his coalition together now that he's lost these numbers. So it makes any kind of deal to end the war harder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounds like it's very, very difficult. Let's talk about Anthony Abenese's trip to China. Chinese President, she has not given the PM any guarantee that we will be given more noses before any future military exercise in the region. Michael, Look, they've been, you know, schmoozing Anthony Aberenese for days now. He said that he raised the military issue with them, but clearly to no avail.
Speaker 9: Well, Denika, even in mister Albanese's brave talk about how he raised the issue when he was talking to Australian journalists after the meeting, the way he raised it sounds like he more or less congratulated Shi Jingping for sending the warships down to Australia and doing live firing. He mentioned again, now it was all extremely lawful, and the only thing that bothered him was next time, he'd like more notice live firing. The Chinese gave no notice to the Australian government about the live firing. Civilian airliners had to divert for their passenger's safety. And it was an aggressive, intimidating exercise by China. But you wouldn't know that from the way the Prime Minister describes it. So it's no surprise. Shi Jinping must have thought he was being congratulated and maybe he should send more ships soon.
Speaker 3: Oh so it was a welcome call basically, Michael, you know, I mean it was literally being an apologist for China. Albo was making excuses for China. That press conference yesterday was very, very telling that he gave. I'm going to ask you how much of this is about China driving a wedge between Australia and the US, because they're clearly reveling in all this pomp and ceremony, all the symbolism.
Speaker 9: What is it all about, Well, it is about the bigger picture. Is not about Australia China relations at all. It's about the leader of a Western democracy embracing the Chinese government and going all in on.
Speaker 1: The China dream.
Speaker 9: Shijing Ping and his Communist Party propagandoram cannot believe their luck with mister Albanesi and this visit is like a gift to them to play right into this China is the new force in town, and a country like Australia is delighted with the direction of things under China. And at the same time we're distancing from America. That's the way China is presenting this to the world. So mister Albinizi is a post a child for signing up to the to Shijingping's China dream. That's the view from Beijing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm looking embarrassing on the world stage. At the same time, Michael Schubridge, thank you very much as always for joining us. Really appreciate it well when you had already, But now we have the figure labour's renewables.
Speaker 2: Only fantasy is making us poorer.
Speaker 3: That's according to the latest data from the Energy Institute.
Speaker 2: It's cost this.
Speaker 3: Country twenty nine billion dollars in the last decade. And in that same time period China has increased their emissions by eighty seven times the amount we reduced ours by Johnny Now is The Australian's Environment editor Graham.
Speaker 2: Lloyd Graham.
Speaker 3: I mean we're literally going broken backwards under this fantasy pipe dream.
Speaker 10: Yes, well, good evening to Technika. And the sobering thing is large as that number is that is only a tiny fraction of what is going to be required to deliver on what is being promised. If there's a criticism that can be made of the whole approach, regardless of what one's view may be of tackling climate change or anything else, it's the lack of a real plan at the outset, and at the lack of any cost benefit analysis that went with it. So what we're seeing now the billions of dollars are racking up, and the returns they're still difficult to find.
Speaker 3: And as I said there, China's increased their emissions by eighty seven times the amount we reduced ours by. What is the point of global climate targets?
Speaker 10: Well, this is the other thing I mean. I've traveled to a lot of the so called cop meetings where the issues are thrashed out, and at the very core of those meetings is this ethic that there must be different treatment for developing and developed countries. China is still regarded as a developing countries, and therefore it has no obligation to cut its carbon dioxide emissions. It's saying they will peak sometime in the future, but the size of their economy and emissions profile is so great that anything that's done in Australia is immediately swallowed up. It's always been the case, and it's really underpinned the argument that whatever actions Australia takes is going to be next to meaningless in the global scale of emissions. It's really a sort of demonstration of good faith to the rest of the global community. But in terms of solving the problem, we're a bystander.
Speaker 2: Yeah, clearly.
Speaker 3: And meanwhile we're still peddling this net zero fantasy and keeping on with the Paris climate targets is just ridiculous. Now, look, I want to ask you about mining and metals company Rio Tinto. It's backed a Gillard style price on carbon, arguing it's the most effective way to coax the private sector into driving down emissions.
Speaker 2: G Graham, you know that.
Speaker 3: The Gillard price on carbon was just so popular last time. Not But what's Rio's Tinto's goal here, do you think?
Speaker 10: Well, Rio Tinto is playing the corporate game. It's setting targets and saying, look, it wants to reduce emissions and be good corporate citizen. But the best way to do that, they say, is for the government to collect money off everybody and redistribute to companies including Rio, so they can work with technology and other things to reduce their emissions. So they're really talking out of a position of great self interest, both in terms of the presentation they make to the world but also their financial pocket.
Speaker 2: Now I've got to ask you about this green project.
Speaker 3: Another one's been axed after offshore wind developer Blue Flow abandoned its plans for one of Victoria's most advanced offshore wind projects.
Speaker 2: It's failed to secure a buyer.
Speaker 3: Graham, I don't know about you, but I have lost count at the amount of projects that have been delayed or canceled in recent months.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, certainly, we're trying to keep count, but it's across the board. Now it's snowy two point zero. It's onshore wind projects and particularly offshore projects that are finding it difficult to get off the ground. And probably the most telling fact in the story of this one in Victoria is they put up for sale and they got no bids. That gives a pretty good indication as to how difficult the offshore wind industry is going to be and the experience that they're having elsewhere. This is an international company and thought it would come in and expand into Australia. It's now pulling out of Australia and it's reducing its operations overseas. And that's pretty much the story of offshore wind. So going back to the original point, what's the plan, how much is it going to cost and what are we going to get?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and meanwhile, still no plans to keep the lights on in this country as we keep trying to phase out cole so quickly, Graham Lloyd, good to catch up. Thanks very much for joining me on the show this evening. We're coming up after a break. After the break is shopping data leak that led to twenty four thousand Afghans being eligible for UK resettlement and Labor tried to keep it under wraps.
Speaker 2: We'll go live to London. Plus climate anxiety.
Speaker 3: Would you believe it's apparently a thing and it's stopping young adults from having children?
Speaker 2: Ridiculous. Psychologist Claire Row joins me after the break.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the latest in climate xelatry and insanity. Now there's some more climate fear bongering out and about this week an article claims that climate anxiety is leading some young adults to opt out of having kids. The WEF says, while the term climate anxiety might sound clinical, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Experts assure it's not a mental.
Speaker 3: Illness, but rather a natural response to the global threat of climate change. I mean, seriously, don't have kids if this is what you believe, because the kids are going to grow up brainwashed and absolutely petrified at everything. Psychologist and adjunct fellow at the Institute of Public Affairs.
Speaker 2: Claire Row joins me.
Speaker 3: Now, Claire, I mean seriously, is this actually a thing, climate anxiety?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is, Sanikaw.
Speaker 11: Look, as a psychologist, particularly seeing young people in my clinic, this isn't just a passing thing. It's absolutely a real, growing mental health phenomenon is rapidly becoming I think one of the biggest hidden pressures on our children. But I think part of the problem is the way that we're responding to this fear. I mean, it's all wrong, and instead of applying the best known treatments for anxiety, you know, things like teaching young people to challenge their thoughts and self regulate to get some perspective, we're actually like kind of leaning into it and applauding them and patting them on the back. And I think that you know, around classrooms and certainly popular culture, we're validating their worst fears and immersing children in these kind of worst case scenarios. So, you know, I absolutely see children in my clinic who don't think that they're going to live to adulthood. And the young adults now that are saying they're not going to have children. I mean, these are the ones that have come through our education system and have been fed this stuffs and say, we're five years old. So if they really think that the world is doomed, why would you have kids? And so my latest research through the IPA is showing that, yeah, this is not just a passing phase. It does start with our education system, but I also think it starts with also mental health professionals, my fellow psychologists calling this out in how we're responding to young people that are so anxious about this.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I agree, don't have children if your biggest concern is climate anxiety, not being responsible for an adult here for a human for another life, don't have kids that the world will be better off. Seriously, Now, look, young people are sending life insurers broke as claims for being unable to return to the workforce skyrocket due to stress, burnout and bullying in the workplace. Co chair of the Council of Australian Life Insurers, Kent Griffin said he was especially concerned about the rising young people making claims for mental health reasons. Claire, you know what is going on with young people today?
Speaker 11: Yeah, this is unbelievable when I saw this, almost half of insurance payouts for complete incapacitation of ever working in the future and now due to mental health. And it's not the elderly, it's people in their thirties and forties, like their prime of their life, their working age, and making permanent disability claims at an exponential rate. And I don't say this lightly. I'm a psychologist. I know the realities of mental illness. But what we're seeing is a system that is I think, completely out of touch with clinical reality. Because of course, the treatment for you moderate to severe depression and anxiety is not a lumpsump payout, it's not permanent retirement. There are treatments for these things and they involved reintegration back into our community and work, and these things are very treatable, and so this is not about denying I think legitimate mental illness, but it is recognizing that the system now is going to collapse. We've seen this with the NDIS, which is in the imminent stage of collapsing. And so too will insurance companies if they're going to pay out on things for a lifelong disability that are treatable conditions. And so we need to be very careful because I think the mental health narrative in this country is very high on empathy but very low on science.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I mean, you know, is this going the way of the NDIS now where you know you're stressed out in the workplace, you've got a bit on your plate. Suddenly you've got to make a claim, you know. I just when you start opening this door, it doesn't end. It's unreal. Clairo, thank you very much for joining me on the show this evening. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Well. Still to come.
Speaker 3: A twelve year old British girl is sent home from school for wearing a union jack dress to a diversity day event. Would you believe that's next? Welcome back, Let's go live now to London. Joining me is Spiked Online editor Tom Slater.
Speaker 2: Tom, welcome to the show. Thanks for joining me.
Speaker 3: Let's start with a data lea which shows Keir Starmer's government secretly offered asylum to nearly twenty four thousand Afghans and it's costing British taxpayers seven billion pounds. That's a little over fourteen billion Ossie dollars. War on Earth is going on here, tom, So.
Speaker 1: I have to know where to start with this.
Speaker 12: I mean, first and foremost, you've got twenty five thousand, predominantly Afghan soldiers and their families who were the subjects of this data breach. A Royal marine and in the Defense Department just accidentally said this spreadsheet around with all of their information on it, effectively handing the Taliban a hit list.
Speaker 1: But you then the problem gets deeper.
Speaker 12: You have the government trying to cover it up by this superinjunction unprecedented in political history. And then also you have this secretive move to offer all of these people asylum, which we may well ohe these people are death of gratitude, but surely that's something that the public needs to be consulted on. So surely that's something that we need to know about. So from the screw up, through to the secrecy, through to the kind of anti democracy of it. It's a damning indictment of the British state. I think, from top to.
Speaker 2: Bottom it's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: I mean the cover up is absolutely breathtaking by labor, but come to expect nothing less from Keir Starmer's government.
Speaker 2: Now this has made newspaper headlines across the world.
Speaker 3: A year seven student has been thrown out of her own school's diversity.
Speaker 2: Day for turning up in a union jack dress.
Speaker 3: Twelve year old Courtney was stopped by teachers on arrival and given the option to put on a secondhand uniform instead.
Speaker 2: Here she was talking about what happened.
Speaker 13: The first teacher I saw, she straight away just took me to go get changed. She didn't want to hear about my dress or see it. Another teacher try to stop me and said you can't mean that. It's your nationality and not your culture. They asked me to come with them and to change into second hand school uniform. They said that I didn't sign a form. When the haad a bear did bring my mom, she said she did sign it, yet they still didn't want me to wear it.
Speaker 2: So Tom explain this to us.
Speaker 3: British girl is sent home from school for being too British, but kids were allowed to wear burkers.
Speaker 2: Is that diversity for you?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 12: I don't think I can explain it other than to say that this is the mess that we've landed ourselves in in which you've got school children constantly being encouraged to celebrate cultural difference, and yet when someone shows up wanting to represent their country, actually the flag that surely should unite the children of that class of all backgrounds, then that's treated as if she walked in we're in an SS uniform or something.
Speaker 1: I mean, this response that you get from.
Speaker 12: The education system, from the great and good these days, as if to be even mildly patriotic, as something kind of weird and strange. That's the kind of national sickness that I think we need to free ourselves from.
Speaker 3: What does it say more broadly as well, about the education system how it's been completely hijacked by these left wing activists.
Speaker 12: No, exactly, it was the fact that these teachers just did this without even thinking. I mean, it's the sort of water that the people in the education system swimming now, which is just allergic to paytism, which is nervous around anything to do with national identity. They have apologized now, but the fact that that was their response in the first place speaks volumes.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, it does. I feel like there. I mean, and this isn't just happening in the UK. It's happening here in Australia. There's this real identity crisis where you'd be proud for your country, you be proud of who you are, but you know you're called a racist or a bigot just for loving your values. I just think it's absolutely, very very strange. Now, this is interesting. More than one million migrants are claiming benefits in the UK every month. Tom, I can't help, but just wonder you may as well be a migrant now in Britain because you're getting better benefits than the Brits themselves.
Speaker 12: I know this number is really striking. So it's now around one point three million foreign nationals who are claiming Universal Credit, our main benefit here in the United Kingdom. And this is something which I think people are really bristling against because of the there is a kind of social contract in place, the idea that if you are going to access the benefits system, you should have been here for quite a long time, you should be a British citizen, and I don't think that's an outrageous.
Speaker 1: Position to hold.
Speaker 12: And if you're going to have a benefit system as dysfunctional as asked is, as I'm sure you've talked about on this channel many times, you have to have that level of public buying. You have to have people feeling that the system is fair, that people can't show up five minutes ago and access it.
Speaker 1: These aren't outrageous positions.
Speaker 12: But the government has got into such a mess with immigration, It's got into such a mess with a benefit system that it's actually just breaking down faith in what should be a kind of thing that people pay into, they're happy to pay into knowing that they could get something out of it if they need it. All of that trust is sort of dissolving underneath all of this dysfunction.
Speaker 1: I think, well, is.
Speaker 3: That why tom reform is doing quite well now in the UK?
Speaker 2: Because this really.
Speaker 3: Is Nigel Farage's bread and bad as so onto the migrant matter all the time, and you guys have got boats coming in left, right and center. But stories like this am I riding saying that the Brits going well, how we need a reform? This is why we need a reform right now.
Speaker 12: No, absolutely, And I think the other reason that it's driving people towards reform is the fact that the Tories have their fingerprints all over these problems. We could talk about the Afghan scandal, we could talk about the benefits system, we could talk about the unprecedented wave of immigration that began under Boris Johnson, whilst Labor kind of had to carry the can for it now because the full effects of it are being felt during their government. Obviously the Tory government were responsible for setting a lot of this in train. So it's no wonder that people are turning towards essentially a third party.
Speaker 1: For the first time one hundred years in this country.
Speaker 12: It's because of the utter dysfunction, the utter disconnect with what ordinary people care about one it's become a recruiting sergement for reform and exactly the way that you.
Speaker 3: Say no, exactly, That's why I always seeing reform doing so well across the board. There, Tom Slader, always good to catch up. Thanks very much for joining me on the show this evening, and thanks for your company. That's all we've got time for. Are we back tomorrow night, But stay with us. Here is James Morrow, filling in for Paul Murray and the man Cave