Speaker 1: It's lucky Lucky Lucky Dip time. Lucky dip, not dick. I said, dip, you naughty thing, our child.
Speaker 2: Imagine that's a new series we do. How that work? Lucky Dick?
Speaker 1: Like the Lucky Dip, You put your hand in the bucket and you grab.
Speaker 2: A dick, five faces and you have to match whose dick you've got in your hand. Volunteers, that's fun. I would play that at a fate. I'd play that too. That's disgusting, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It's great? Hey everyone, it's Mela Monte. Thanks for listening in. I mean, it can only go up from here, Let's be honest.
Speaker 2: It can. So you know, I love music and all that right and all that jazz. I saw the other week on Pedestrian. You know so espy Rihanna. So yes, there was an interview with the guy that wrote that song and he was saying how the entire second verse, all the lines in it are names of famous eighties songs. Also fascinating how songwriters write songs, because it's not like writing a written piece. It's very different.
Speaker 1: I just find it so amazing that people can write things like It's not obviously not natural for us, But do they. It's like some people hear the lyrics in their head and then write them down, but then you've got to write the music.
Speaker 2: It's so clever, It is so clever. But this is this is what he had to say. Listen to this.
Speaker 3: The whole second verse of that song is eighty song titles strung together as sentences. Because I thought would be super clever. Peak on me. Aha, you know inside you feel it right now? Take me on I could just die up in your arms tonight with you. You got me head over heels. The boy you keep me hanging on the way.
Speaker 1: You make me feeling on the way.
Speaker 3: Number one song?
Speaker 2: Wow, fascinating anyway?
Speaker 1: Is Kim mild Australian?
Speaker 2: No cool? But I sort of know where you're going with that, and I don't know what I'm thinking of. Hm, she had blonde hair and stuff. Yeah she did, I know exactly. Maybe. Okay, I am bringing you today the story behind Do you remember this song? Who is this? The Angels styles.
Speaker 1: D stab again no way, get fucked?
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is this is all tied in together, right. So that song was Am I ever going to see your face again? By the Angels? Iconic Ossie band. Also, do you know that song was released in nineteen seventy six, It wasn't alive when it was first released. It was a flop. Then it was re released in nineteen eighty eight, which we would remember, and they re released a live version that had that call and response bit. So the song was originally written like a slower song, but then there were too many parallels between that and this song by there's an old band called Status Quo. I'm going to play you a bit of their song most exactly the same, exactly the same, and consequently as well, royalties from am I ever going to see your face again? They reached an agreement, so royalties to that song, there's a portion of it that go to Status Quo because they clearly ripped it off totally. So that call and response bit, the no way get fucked fuck off. The band don't even know where that started, and I don't know who it was, Like the drummer or something was doing an interview and he was saying they first heard it in nineteen eighty three at like some small bar they were playing out or something, and they thought the crowd was angry at them, like telling them to fuck off right, but he said it's hard to know because everyone puts a hand up like I invented it, so they don't know where it stemmed from. But the thought is that it came from a DJ that used to work at Remember Blue Light Disco. Yeah, of course you went to one once, didn't you. Yeah, I know, I went to one in year ten. No one went in year ten, people going year seven, but my parents let me go in year seven, So there I was. I looked eighty five. Had a great time though, did anyway. Apparently he would play that song and turn the like when the chorus came on. Afterwards he'd turn it down and encourage the kids to scream out swear words. And then apparently teachers and older students would hear it, and then they would go on and watch the angels and start doing it, and then it just became this whole thing. But the meaning of that song. There was an interview with Doc Nason, who's the lead singer, and he said, originally it was written as an acoustic ballad, and it was inspired by this conversation that he had with a friend. So this friend had a girlfriend. They'd gone away for the weekend and I think she was riding back home on her motorbike. She hit a pole and she died, and they were having this conversation about when someone dies, will you ever see them again? And that's how it all started. And the last interesting fact about that, which look, I don't know if you've ever considered this. This might be something that everyone's like, yeah, who doesn't know that, But the opening riff of that song is meant to sound like an ambulance.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, it does.
Speaker 2: Doesn't make your real hearing that now?
Speaker 1: Yes, and you've delivered again, bravo. Thank you for joining us, your champion cans, and we'll chat to you really soon.
Speaker 2: They love you