Speaker 1: Him My Boris and this is straight talk. Jim Jeffery is welcome to straight talk, maintains, haven't we Jim Jeffries. Jim Jeffries from Australia's biggest comedic expert.
Speaker 2: I need it for protection. Is that why they called the soult Rifle? Is that I wanted to be a professional comic from the age of eleven and that was all Eddie Murphy's Delirious James Packer's birthday party al Pacina and Warren Batty and Leonardo DiCaprio and Eddie Murphy comes in, don't know you. He goes, what are you doing here? And I said, I'm I'm going to do this stand up for the dinner party. And he goes, there is nowhere that's going to work out, and then he left and I was like, oh no, my favorite comedian said I've just got an unachieved little task, and I went, who are you fuck? I went for me and Pierce have no problem anymore because my wife wouldn't have married me unless I told him to back life. I have never said this joke, right. This is the first time I'm going to say this joke.
Speaker 1: Right. Jim Jeffery's welcome to Straight Talk Maintenane for having me. How cool is it be back in Australia.
Speaker 2: I love coming back to Australia. Doing the One Percent Club has allowed me to come back more often than I used to. I used to do like a tour about once every two years, you know, and now I get to come back every year and do the show. Plus I get to do a tour. And you know, my dad's not getting any younger and I try to see him as much as possible, and I always try to sort of have it happening when America is on school holidays and Australia is not. So I got my kids coming down. But it seems like we always come here in the winter, you know, because they're on summer breaks.
Speaker 1: Pretty fuck to the most, pretty cold.
Speaker 2: It's not too badly it's going to be colder, but we've been staying out in Bondi and you know, look, we're not going to be getting in the water anytime soon. But but well we'll have a gelato and some you know, fish and chips. That's all me. Some talks about its fish and chips and Australian prawns and eating golden gay times. You know, I've got these American kids who I think, well, the three that doesn't say anything, but the eleven year old thing that thinks that there's a bit of cachet in being Australian. So if I watch him and he's playing like, you know, Fortnite with his mates, you'll go like, go around the back, all right, shoot him? Now cover me? Thanks mate there. It's always weird when the word mate. Whenevery in Australian says mate. Like every other culture in the world, they always try to push they're greeting onto others. So you go to Hawaii and it's a lowha, we all say aloha, he low. How you go to Japan? Can it you are? We all say Australians, we also get a mate? But doesn't it sound terrible When a tourist says it.
Speaker 1: It sounds really bad, but he's something real the.
Speaker 2: Twit when an American goes get mate, you're like, that's not your.
Speaker 1: Word, dude, drop off. So, by the way, I was just thinking about myself, wander When I knew you were coming in, I thought, I reckon, you must be one of Australia's biggest Definitely, let's call it comedic experts, would you be.
Speaker 2: And it's different now, but for stand up comedy, for the longest time, I was, but I'll never you know, for comic performers, I'll never beat Paul Hogan. Paul Hogan's the biggest ever stand up. For stand up, yes, but it's a different world now, so you're going to get a lot more now. So so right up until about ten years ago, and ten years ago, I was the first. I was one of the first five people to get a Netflix special. They brought five specials out at once. Now. Incidentally, those five specials were me, Bill Burr, Chelsea Hanley, and Chelsea Chelsea Pretti. But the fifth comic it never aired because his name was Bill Cosby. So Netflix came out they said Netflix is a joke and we're going to do specials because before that it was all HBO and Showtime. They did specials and those specials may or may not have aired in the UK or in Australia. But because of Netflix, now there's no conquering America, there's no conquering Britain anymore. It's just conquering the world because everything streamed at once. So I went over and did the UK I started my comedy career out there. Then I went over and did America, and I had to keep going back to cities and getting repeat customers. But now you've got comedians like I saw, like the other day Theo Vaughan came out here and sold that big arena's never been to Australia before, you know what I mean. But because he's on Netflix in the podcast world where people can just stream podcasts, and so all media now is international where it wasn't international ten years ago. So me being arguably the biggest Australian comedian worldwide ten years ago, there'll be people who will overtake me because they're all just going to be Now comedians is going to be universal and they weren't universal before, So I probably aren't going to have that crown for a very short time on it. People probably argue, like Hannah Gatsby one, like she won Emmys and stuff like that, that I think she got paid a lot more money for her standup specials than me, but I don't know if the ticket sales were the same. But it's not a competition, is it?
Speaker 1: Bullshit?
Speaker 2: Totally?
Speaker 1: I go more speaking about like I've got to ash straight up Jeffrey Nugent. How did you get Jim Jefferies out of Jeffrey.
Speaker 2: Now case, and my full name is Jeffrey James Nugent, and so Jeffrey with a G. I always kind of disliked the name Jeffrey because my mother was very strict individual right up until the day she died. She's very strict individual. She wouldn't let my friends call me jeff or anything. That was always Jeffrey with a G. It sounds Jeffrey Nugent sounded very prim and proper type of name. So I went on to do Nugent's on a very popular name in Australia. There's more well known in America or in Ireland or something like that. But I went on stage and I think it was Adam Hills, but I'm not completely sure, as Jeffrey Ugen as Jeffreys. My first gig seventeen years old, so maybe eighteen years old, and they said please welcome to the stage, Godfrey Nuggan. There's no d in there or anything, but I went Godfrey Nuggant. Godfrey Nuggan isn't a very rock and roll name, is it, And so I thought I'll change it for one show changed it to Jeffrey James, which was just took my last name off, and that didn't sound right. And then I thought maybe maybe Jim Jeffries and then the alliteration, so I changed and it was just like a decision that took me minutes. And I was just like, oh, Jim Jeffries, how about that. I'll give that a go. And I remember, incidentally, I actually ran it past my parents what they thought, you know, because I didn't want to disappoint them, you know, like changing their name the name I was given. My kids have, so I never legally changed my name. I'm still legally Jeffrey. My kids have the legal name of Jeffries, right.
Speaker 1: And as when they were born, you're registered.
Speaker 2: I gave him my stage name and I just did that because I just didn't want it to be really difficult. Why do you have a different name from me? And my wife kept her name, so all three of us have different names in our passports and we try to get through the airport and it's very difficult.
Speaker 1: So I said, your pastor was, say Jim Jeffries.
Speaker 2: Jeffrey ug well, and I've always thought I'll legally change it, but you know, what. Sometimes it's nice to have two names. Like if if I'm ringing up and I want to quote on some something to get fixed in my house, Well, jeff Jim Jeffries has got money, an't he? Yeah, Jeffrey Newgen doesn't have any money. You're not gonna You're not gonna bump his quote up? Right? Oh?
Speaker 1: God for Newna go none?
Speaker 2: Yeah, God for godfree nuggets. You've got nothing, right, So I use one name when I need it, another name when I need it.
Speaker 1: That sounds that's pretty cool. Actually, I can call you Jimmy two names or Jeffrey two names.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't respond to Jeffrey. I don't turn around anymore. It took years for that, and I got one of my brothers calls me Jim, and one of them calls me Jeffrey. And my dad still calls me Jeffrey, and he's not going to change anytime soon.
Speaker 1: So can we just go back to betwek many parents? I'm born in Sydney, Yeah, what's the deal my parents?
Speaker 2: My father in nineteen sixty nine brought a block of land in sirn Ives, Sydney and knives to Knives Sydney and he built the house himself.
Speaker 1: He's a builder.
Speaker 2: My father's a carpet and he built it over time himself. And the whole block of land on a dirt road cost him. I believe sixteen thousand dollars was the whole investment block of land and the property for a house in Sainaives. I always, I always find it weird whenever you say anyone from Sydney, Sydney will know the name Sa Knives, and everyone always thinks it's really fancy. They go, ooh, you Dives like that. We were pretty, we were very working class family. But that's my dad's best investment he ever did I think Knives in nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd be worth a fever to donat. Is he still there?
Speaker 2: He still lives in the same house and he built the same house that he built little top, very small house, bloody tiny. Yeah, he still is in the same house that he's eighty two or eighty three, and he still lives in the same shape. He's got he's got a few health conditions as all eighty three year old, but he's a sound Let's put it this way. He could run the free world. He's young enough to run to be president. You know what I mean? I think you get out debate Biden. Yeah, that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: It's sort of lowbathera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he wouldn't have that.
Speaker 1: Trump, he wouldn't take it.
Speaker 2: He wouldn't take a bullet as good as Trump, I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to talk about Trump.
Speaker 2: More gingerly get through his feet, I reckon, But no, he's in good health.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you've got a brother, do just say, two older brothers. And we have school up there, so into the state school system.
Speaker 2: State school system. No terrible student, very dyslexic. To this day, I'm reading is my kryptonite. I find it very hard to read.
Speaker 1: Please explain what you mean by just like as in words.
Speaker 2: Don't around. I find reading out loud very panicky to this day. And even when I'm doing the One Percent Club, I have to read a teller prompt and if anyone who's been a contestant on the show that the even now I started a little bit, the lead ins and the outros and stuff like that, that's hard work for me. But when we did the Jim Jeffrey Show in America, I used to have to just sit there and do a thirty minute show from top to bottom, and in the end I got rid of the teleprompt and just really put points in there, and I memorized the jokes as much as I could, you know. So I'm all right when I'm just talking, but I find reading out loud very hard. I had a few dyslexia. I don't believe it, but I got diagnosed with with attention deficit disorder, which later at a doctor in my adult life said that I was probably autistic. But I still to this day, I got a few social key problems. I find it very hard to make eye contact. I keep on reminding myself through this interview just to look up and all that type of stuff. And if I'm at parties. But the thing I do with my wife is my wife stands next to me at parties and every now and again reminds me to ask people questions about their life, just making sure I are something about them, and I go, how long are you two being married?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, you know what I mean. It's not that I'm a bad dude or nothing. I just, you know, I just I've spent my whole career just basically talking to myself that's all stand up comedy is working by myself talking to myself. And so even if I do an interview like this, you don't even have to ask a question. I'll just keep talking until there's I don't like silences, and so.
Speaker 1: That's very interesting what you said about I mean, I want to come at you growing up in a minute, but I just want to quickly advance to that point when I've often know too, when you address an audience, a big audience, it doesn't matter with the audience, I don't reckon you're actually talking to the audience. You're talking to yourself the whole time. That's what I think anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're giving opinions and you're telling stories and all that type of stuff, but you know you need the response from them. It is a relationship. It isn't just yourself there. I see them as not a thousands of people or one hundred people. I see them as one unit that I'm talking to, one group. And so so like when people say, oh, there's a bad crowd or whatever like that, it's they're not all bad. You know. I've done shows in front of eight thousand people and they weren't a great crowd. And I've done shows in front of eight people who were banging. It's just the ratio of good to bad, you know.
Speaker 1: I guess it also depends where you are, if you're in Texas or something like that.
Speaker 2: Well I've had, I've had. Yeah, I played all over I played all over the world, you know. And you know, like next year I'll be touring Europe and the UK, and this year I'm touring Australia is my overseas tour, and me and Jimmy Carr are doing a double act thing in Canada. Across Canada, we're doing not want to say double like the tourists were doing a double headline thing. We're doing that in different ice hockey arenas in front of Canadians, you know. So looking forward to war with another comic, you know. And then but also like last year I did Asia and then I'm going to do Europe again. But this next year I'm going to do places in Europe I haven't been, you know, I'm going to go to like I know, this is an all Turk Europe a Turkey and Morocco and different little places that I haven't been on tour before, you know, And I try to take the family and sort of see the world that way, a bit partridge family.
Speaker 1: But that's part of family. Even know what you're talking. But I remember party family. Well. So if I go back to them, when you see you want a great student, you had a terrible, terrible student, you know, maybe they said, yeah, bit of Adiah.
Speaker 2: In other words, I don't think I did. I think that was just something that was over diagnosed. And I also think that there are a lot of things with attention deficit disorder because I wasn't disruptive very much. But I think that sometimes they over diagnose personalities. That's just my opinion. There's people with attention deficit disorder that will completely disagree with that and think it's a real thing. But I think that I personally think that I was over medicated.
Speaker 1: You were medicated for it, too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was taking so much riddling my hands still shaped, wow, you know, and I call age oh nine, Oh my god. And by the time I was fifteen, I was taken about six to eight riddlans a day. My mother would wake me up with a riddling and a glass orange juice. So the first first thing my eyes opened, a pill would be put in my mouth.
Speaker 1: Quick shot of them fetamines.
Speaker 2: Yeah and so. And I've been very open about my drug usage throughout my life and to this day, fetamines don't do much to me, yes that point the point, they don't do much to me. They just sit on me, you know. But I got off them about sixteen. I didn't take them for the rest because I thought my hands started twitching all the time, and I thought this can't be good for you doing all this thing.
Speaker 1: That's a big decision for sixteen year older man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then, you know, I still took other drugs as an older person. You know, I got into that game sort of a bit late, living in England and all the other stuff. I never say that I was a drug addict or something like that, but I I you know, I went pretty hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a bit more recreational. It wasn't like day to day data.
Speaker 2: Not day to day, but yeah, I was. I was doing them pretty It depends if there was a comedy festival on or I was just sitting at home. If I was sitting at home, I was never doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well, I mean I think most people won a minute, but I reckon just better. In Australia, specially these days. I mean, like we're sitting here right now in the middle of the suburbs. Mate, there's just been every dude and girl in these suburbs taste cocaine every fucking Friday night and Saturday night mentally.
Speaker 2: But see when I was doing it in England for fifty pounds a gram, yeah, versus what is it three hundred and something dollars here? And then you know, I'm going to have to be open with my sons about it because I've been open about saying talking about it so much that they'll be able to see footage of me talking about it. And now with the fucking fentanyl in America, people are dying.
Speaker 1: It's just it's just not as a substitute because they're puting fendalin and people think it's cocain.
Speaker 2: Would yeah, yeah, the fananel people, I know, people have dropped dead like it's it's rampant in America. People fucking dropping dead from fent and al.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And these are people who aren't drug I'd actually just taking a little bit of line here, line there, and they're bloody dropping dead. And I know it hasn't really hit Australia, but you don't want that fucking shit coming over here. I hear that the bike. He's put an article saying anyone who cuts our products, you know what I mean, like bloody terrible stuff. So I haven't taken drugs in a very long time, very long time. So I'm not talking about someone who did it last week. But there's been some incidences in the comedy community. So people I know who are just like that one line, bang, you need, you need, you need amount. That's like a grain of sand. Up. You know he's in your bloody You're gone, bloody terrible.
Speaker 1: Someone says like a hundred times more more lethal than heroin. Heroin, Yeah, yeah, it's a ship drug.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, they fucked with it too much, you know what I mean, they fucked with it too much. Back in the day, pills in the ecstasy had a wonderful time and then the fucking assholes bloody fucked with it.
Speaker 1: If you didn't, if you weren't a great student, then how did you end up? I was just turned out to study, Like what did you end up doing? Like after school?
Speaker 2: Hardly past school? I got what you would call in your HC. You had that rank score and one hundred being the best and I got thirty four, not great, not great, but better than I third thought I would. And then I went and studied at WAPPA, the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts, which was more famous than anything for having Lisa McEwen and Hugh Jackman went there. And I went and studied musical theater there for one year, and then I didn't get through to the next bit of the course, and then I went in opera singing for the last little bit because I was just but I was really just buying time until I could be a professional comedian. And that's what I wanted to be as a little, tiny kid, really professional I wanted to be. I wanted to be a professional comic from the age of eleven, and I was obsessed with comedy from before that and that was all Eddie Murphy's delirious. So you got to So this is my point is we're going to have some amazing comics come out of Australia. Now, We're going to have word We've always had world class comics, but we're going to have people who are going to be so big coming out of this country because they're getting exposure which I never got. Right, So my first experience with George Carlin was he was rufus off Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. I never saw a George Carlin special. I never saw an HBO special someone doing comedy for an hour. All we had was people doing comedy for about five minutes on a late night show and Steve Wizard. Once a month, maybe you'd get a comedian. And they had a TV show on the ABC called The Big Gig, and the Big Gig Wendy Harmer and different comics were on there and they were doing great job, but they were all doing five minutes, five minutes, five minutes. They putty bit of music in between, and I used to lap that up. And the big show for me in high school was The Late Show with McK mclloyan all that and Rob Sitch. I used to love that show. And look, I'm working with McK mlloy tonight. And I would never say this to him. I hope you hasn't listened to me saying it, but he's listening. But it's so wonderful to call a hero of mine a friend, you know what I mean? That's cool because he doesn't know that. But so the difference between my parents didn't buy comedy albums. There was no way. There was no cable TV, there was no way to watch an hour long comedy special in Australia except for one special, and that was Eddie Murphy's Delirious and Eddie Murphy's Raw. Eventually, but that stage Delirious and Delirious was available at the video store because it was the first special ever that was a cinematic release, so it was counted as a movie, so it was released in the movies. And it just so happened that when I'm fucking eleven years old, I have an eighteen year old brother who can rent that video. Right, So my eighteen year old brother, who has since become a cop, was showing R rated movies to children, so we should pull him up on that. But him, yeah, yeah, we should get that blake, you know. But so we had Delirious and my brother's rented it a few times, and I used to wait, like if my father went, I got he's doing a bit of gardening for ten minutes, I'd put it in the video player and watch ten minutes and then get sneak another five minutes because I was just thinking up and I just thought it was so amazing like a bloke, and it still to this day is sort of why I wear like leather shirts. On stage was Eddie Murtphy. He was in like a leather outfit, looking like Elvis, just the redd the thing with the shirt open, and at that stage he was maybe twenty one years old or something. And then he's off to do Beverly Hills cop and I thought that guy was just everything to me, just telling these long winded stories, and to this day I think I probably modeled myself more on him than anything. And then by the time I was sixteen, Anthony Morgan, the Australian comedian. He always used to do the side pieces on viz Art and he used to watch Visa. He did a show. There was a theater called the Harbor Theater or something which is underneath the Harbor Bridge, I think just I think on the east side and on the north side. But he I fake idat it and went in and went and saw Anthony Morgan and that was the first time I'd seen stand up comedy live and the guy was on stage for an hour and a half and I thought that was just wonderful. And I've still never met Anthony and he doesn't do much comedy, but I'd love to give that guy a hug because that was a real pivotal moment in my life, was actually seeing someone and there was only a couple hundred people there, you know, but I thought that was fantastic because the idea of you know, I'm going to say something very arrogant here, I'm a better fucking entertainer than Beyonce. Fuck yeah, I am too, right, I am. On my basis, I explained, let's see her do it without fucking dances and choreographed routines and fucking lights and a backup band. Let's see her get out there and entertain people with nothing but a microphone, right, And that's really point. With nothing but a microphone, right, I can entertain. I saw that the road leave. I can entertain ten thousand people just with a microphone and the spotlight. Right. And I know I know lots of other people who can do this. I'm not alone on this, there's loads of comedians. But I remember having so much respect for Anthony Morgan when I left that room, thinking that was something special.
Speaker 1: But what was it? What was it?
Speaker 2: What was the what I'd seen people talk in front of rooms full of people, and they were fucking boring, and they were called school teachers, you know what I mean. I'd seen people stand up and chat with this, and it was always just such a like if you see now you go to any conference or anything and someone walks up and they get to the podium, there's an element of how long is this gonna be? Right? And anyone can do it for five minutes, just five minutes. Anyone can do it for like stand up, can do real punchy your best man speech at a wedding or something like that. But now people going to get bored out. If you can hold people's attention hour plus, that's something else, you know. So I thought more than seeing you know, I've seen Paul McCartney in concert, I've seen you know, great art of Elton John like music, it's like great musicians, and it's amazing when you watch them, like how do they pay all these instruments and all that type of stuff, But at the end of the day, they've still got that trick in front of them and they've still got So the big difference between music and comedy is I don't know why musicians even bother naming their fucking tours because there's beans bands that I like, Like I've seen Oasis live fifteen times. The tour is always the same. They can name it something else, but it's always the fucking same, right, Because the big difference between comedy and music is when you're watching comedy, you only want to hear the new stuff. When you're watching music, you only want to hear the old stuff. When they play a new song, they're like a fuck plays up off the old albums. Yeah, right, And if I played one of my old jokes, I haven't put enough effort in. So musicians they can sort of sit back on a few hits and keep on bringing him out all the time. If you do stand up comedy at a certain level, once you record a joke, you have to not everybody, like Seinfeld has a different theory on this. He reckons you keep the jokes going all the time, but if you record a joke, you should retire a joke after it's recorded. Right. So I got nine specials and a CD. So I got recorded plus TV spots. I don't know, twelve hours of stand up or something like that. But it's all different stuff, you know, some of it's better than others, and some of it's a bit more fillery than others, and then there's some more iconic pieces and stuff like that. But no one wants to hear me come out and just crack on about gun control again because I've done it, you know. So there's a bigger workload I think involved in live touring for a comedian.
Speaker 1: That's something I want to talk to you about, because I mean, it's funny you should say, because I mean, I'm always of a comedy and I go into YouTube usually because I'm seeing looking on Netflix. There's a lot of old stuff on there, and I've seen it all, and I've watched you and you mentioned Bill Burr and then and he's like, he's larious, lovely man. I like the way he gets sort of yells at me and gets me thinking about myself.
Speaker 2: He is going to slip very easily into being an old man. He's already comaginate. But he's a sweet guy.
Speaker 1: And he's but I like his content. But it's funny. You should say what you said, because I keep gither no I I've seen that one or not, and because I don't want to see it again, same as you. When I look at your stuff. I don't want to see it again.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 1: That's quite interesting between that and the difference between the singing because or a musician. Because you're right. When it comes to music and what the funk? Why where are all the old songs?
Speaker 2: Because you want to tap your foot along with the music?
Speaker 1: Is it more memorable memory or nostalgia?
Speaker 2: Do you want to tap your foot foot along with the music and know when the chorus is coming? And with comedy, you want to be surprised.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, So so music is about being familiar. Comedy is about being surprised.
Speaker 2: Yeah, comedy. Music is about memories.
Speaker 1: Surprise me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You want to hear a joke?
Speaker 1: Yeah, give me, I don't have one.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you pub jake. Let me think of Okay, this joke is a name drop for you. Was told to me by Jay Leno whenever anyone asked for a pub joke. This is the pub jake. I give right, So who knows who wrote this? But what's the pub jake? He goes, So there's a guy finds a Genie's bottle and he rubs it. Genie comes out and he goes, you have two wishes? And the guy went I thought I get three wishes. He goes check your pants and he looks down he's got a great, big dick, and the jenny goes, I've been doing this a long time. That's a good pub joke, right, And the good thing about that joke is now you can tell it your friends, and you can tell it your friends and then they will spread like a fucking STD and everyone will enjoy it, just like an.
Speaker 1: STD's just like good dick joke. If what was it then about Eddie Murphy that actually got you enthralled about being a comedian? Like, was it his content? Was it about how the accolades he got? Was the fact that he just made you laugh?
Speaker 2: He made me laugh? But also just cool man, he's a cool dude, because like, okay, so.
Speaker 1: I don't know that means cool man? What do you mean he's is cool man?
Speaker 2: It's like it's like before Eddie Murphy. Right, So there's there's arguments with comedy where you can have higher status and lower status than the crowd, right, you can be above them or below them. For the most part, British comedy and somewhat Australian comedy, definitely New Zealand comedy for some reason, the comedian normally has a lower status.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh really yeah, Like that's the thing, is it?
Speaker 2: So like mister Bean, mister Bean, bumbling idiot, right, Frank Spencer bumbling idiot? Right? Eddie Murphy cool right, being the same as everyone in the audience, doesn't it's not funny, you know? So? So like Cleice could play John Clees could play above and below depending on what Sketchy did, he could do above or below and so. But Eddie Murphy was always cooler than I could ever fucking be, man, cooler than I could ever be. And I met him. I met him twice, and and you know, I met a lot of famous people doing this job, and but Eddie Murphy is the most starstruck I've been to meet, to meet the human being. And I met him once at James Packard's birthday party where I was employed to be the entertainment and I was sitting in the kitchen. Mariah Carey had paid for me to be there.
Speaker 1: Is must a couple years ago then, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mariah Carey, it's not recent.
Speaker 1: It was Mike care would be a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know this is before COVID.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before covered. That's when they were engaged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when they're engaged. And so so I was in the kitchen. I was in the kitchen, and I normally don't do corporate gigs, but the money was right, and that you know that whatever, right I was sitting in the kitchen, I meant to be the surprise birthday gift. You know, you're you're you're a wealthy man. You know how it is right when you guys, don't you rich people? You don't get presents? Do you get? You get other human beings performing tricks? Right? You know, you buy experiences, You're right, experiences rather than material because any material thing you want you can get. But then every now and I get someone go, I just bought you a thing to go do this thing, go drag race a car. Oh brilliant, because you never would have bought that for yourself, you're right, right, So, so so I'm in the kitchen when you go out and I'm shipping myself and then our Pacino and Warren Batty and Leonardo DiCaprio and all these people at this bloody dinner, right, and I'm sitting there in the dressing room in the kitchen, being hidden away and They've given me a meal, the same meal as then I'm off of the kitchen of yourself and Eddie Murphy comes in and I can't get impersonation. But he walks up to one of the he was there too, Yeah, he was there. He walks up to another catering people. He goes, I need a solda or something. I sold a drinker that is right, And he looked at me. And I used to have a sitcom called Legit that was an on FX and in that I had it was based on a true story, but I had a friend who was disabled, right, And he goes, oh, no you. He goes, do you do the TV show with the disabled boy? You need a show? He knew my shirt. I was like, yeah, yeah, I do. I do do this. He goes, what are you doing here? And I said, I'm going to do this stand up for the dinner party and he goes, there is nowhere that's going to work out, and then he left and I was like, oh no, my favorite comedian said, I've just got an unachievable task. And this is a man who who Something else I respect about Eddie Murphy is he respected stand up comedy so much that when he stopped doing it. He never dipped his toe back in again, because he knew what it took to be at that level and if he could. And it's very hard for Eddie Murphy to get back to that level because where does he try out material? Where does he go and do five minutes where it's not every camera's out going Eddie Murphy? How does he build a set? He can never build a set again because too many people will document the work in progress, and so he can't get up at the improv on a Wednesday and have a go. So I know for a fact that Netflix have offered him, They've backed up money, trucks to his house for him to do a stand up special, more money than anyone would have ever been paid to do stand up. And they've undernard and I've heard through people, Oh it's going to happen, It's going to happen, and it hasn't happened yet, and he hasn't done stand up. I don't reckon he's done stand up in over thirty years.
Speaker 1: It's because he doesn't need to.
Speaker 2: He just he became a movie star, stop doing it, and he respected it enough not to go back to it because he couldn't, as I said, he couldn't develop, he couldn't build it and get it to a stafe.
Speaker 1: Can you explain that to me? Can because you say that's so nonchalant, can you explain it to me? Like, so, you know, in terms of building a show, what are you going to do?
Speaker 2: Go?
Speaker 1: You're got to go pre things validating, Yeah, well you got it.
Speaker 2: What I do is many comics will go down and just sort of do a joke and then try it out. And if I got a new joke, I will wedge it in between two bits that I know work and then just slip in the joke because it might be gangbusters, it might be weak, and if it.
Speaker 1: Is weak, the jokes a bit of a theme.
Speaker 2: Though it's a bit say at the moment, like, okay, so when we're recording this yesterday there was an assassination attempt on Donald Trump's life. I'm getting up at the comedy store tonight, and I've got some things that i'll I'm gonna do, you know, but I don't expect to nail it tomorrow, but maybe three or four times in I'll get it good. Right now, I can afford to do that because I've got good jokes that I've been doing for a year or so on either side of that joke. But aniemur, if you can't do that because the whole set's new, the whole set's new. If you could just go down and say, I've got five minutes, I want to try, but no one wants to hear him do five minutes, and you can't. You know, if he goes down to the comy club and I said, they'll bring all the phones out, and the joke from its infancy to when it's fully developed, is going to be vastly different. And that's why we get so angry. There's several reasons that, and people don't understand that comedians get so angry with people videotape like their phones up in the show.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: Now, music concerts, no one gives a fuck because, as I said, it's old songs.
Speaker 1: No they wanted to they want to make they want to they want to stream it.
Speaker 2: They don't want to stream it, they want to put it on. They tell everywhere they're having a great time. I don't want the person who's about to see me to know to the punchline. I want to still surprise them, and I don't want it recorded until I think the joke's ready to record, till I'm happy with it, then I'll record it right, But I don't want the work in progress to be put out there. And so so a lot of comedians Dave Chappelle, for example, just off the top of your head, have started using these pouches that you you put your phone in and then you put the tag over the top and then your phone is sealed and you can't open it back up, and then pull your phone out afterwards. And it has made shows really good. But I'm a cheap bastard. They have that at the theater costs about seven grand. I'm like, ah, fuck it.
Speaker 1: But you ask people put the phone away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's signs up please do not videotape. And if I see you do it, I'll ask you know, I said, can you please put your phone? I'll do it in the middle of a joke, Please put your phone now. But people think you're being precious or something, but you're not. And also it's not music. We're not all singing along. You have I don't want you to miss it. I don't want you to miss the joke. Well, then you you've got to be focused and if you're texting or whatever, or you think you're not, it's the same as driving. Just keep your eyes on the road.
Speaker 1: Man. Yeah, that may say. So, it's very interesting. So when you say joke, though I don't I'm not a communist. When you say joke, do you mean that thing? Yeah, So it's like a thematic. It's like, for example, you know something a bad gun control? Is that what you're talking about?
Speaker 2: That line controls the routine, and inside that routine there's maybe thirty jokes, right, I don't know. I haven't watched that routine back ever, but I would say there was. It was. It was fourteen minutes long, and so in that if the math's right, you want to have her laugh at least on every twenty seconds. There's probably thirty forty laughs in there. So they're the actual jokes in the routine.
Speaker 1: So you actually there is a structure. There is actually a you know, just not stand up there just freeballing. You actually got a structure.
Speaker 2: For example, see you write anything down, I sort of think of a joke, and then the best way to write it is on stage, and then you just sort of come up with a theme and you know, look, the problem is now the thousand companies putting a thousand clips online and all the people who tweet out a joke and all these things, so you know, everything's sort of being said. You're trying to put your original take on it, but it's very hard now to come up with a truly truly original one line because everyone's on Twitter or x as it is the same. So at the moment, like I'll say what I'm working on right now, this is what I've never said this joke, right, this is the this is the first time I'm going to say this joke. Right, So, so at the moment, who's the name of the kid who bloody shot Trump? It was something Thomas Cooper Marx or something something like that, Thomics Cooper Marx, and then you had John Wilkes Booth and then you had Lee Harvey Oswald. I go, it's these three names, you know, these three names. I'll be watching out for Michael J. Fox, although I assume he would miss, right. So that's the premise now, without a doubt. Probably people who've done the done the aligned with John Wilkes Booth and Lee Harvey Oswald and it does up. But you just try to make your own little sort of thing, and then you know, now, that's the core of this routine, right, The core of the routine that I'm going to try out is that little tiny punchline about Michael J. Fox and naming those three names three times and so, but that routine might become five minutes because I might go off on a tangent about Michael J. Fox and I might go whatever, And I won't know that until I'm on stage and I hear the groan from the audience and I rebuttal and then go back and forth. And so all I know is that little bit now, But I don't know what it will become.
Speaker 1: Because you're waiting for the response I'm.
Speaker 2: Waiting for, and I don't know if that punchline will do well yet, and whether it needs a little bit of finessing, or whether the joke needs to be a bit harder or more aggressive, or it needs to be softer. You know, I don't know where it's going.
Speaker 1: To be in terms of aggressive you mean a little bit more confronting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, or whether I just have to There's there's a few ways you can either tell the audience what it's all about, or you can basically go, oh, I think this, you know what I mean, and soften your way into it, and sometimes the softer ways to get into a really offensive joke, you know. And there's there's I would like someone to one day do a mathematical equation.
Speaker 1: On that's because that's what I'm thinking as you're talking. I'm thinking of mathematics.
Speaker 2: I'm okay. So there's the mathematics of the more offensive the joke, the bigger the laugh. Right, you can you can talk about anything, but you have to get a big laugh. So if you bring up something, let's go as offensive as we can. Let's say you make a joke about Holocaust, right, you better be getting yourself a real good laugh. Right. If you don't get a real good laugh, you're just being offensive.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But if you have a payoff that's good enough and witty enough, then you can really get away with anything. But I've had times when it hasn't worked. And that's why I don't want your fucking videotape in the show because I'm having to go here.
Speaker 1: So you're going to try that at the comedy store.
Speaker 2: To try that the comedy store, not nothing about the Holocaust, but I'm going to try. I'm going to try the Lee Harvey Oswell, John Wilkes Booth, Michael J. Fox routine. That's going to be my new bit that I'm going to try, you know, tomorrow night.
Speaker 1: So, Jim Jefferies is would you call yourself? Would you call Jim Jefferies? There's two personalities? But would you call Jim Jeffries a real observer of life? I mean that is that who you are.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I'm wanky enough to say that about myself, but I no, But you don't.
Speaker 1: Have to, you know, you're genuinely curious about everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, but you know, I think I got personality traits that I you know, if you take me to a party, I'm going to ramble on the whole time, and I'm going to annoy a lot of fucking people and other stuff, you know, and it's it's probably better on stage. And so I found an outlet for the skill that I have in life, which is talking underwater, you know. So I would have been good on radio. But even now, I didn't let you fucking talk, did I know? But I shouldn't.
Speaker 1: But but I should you talk because that's my role. But but but what I'm sort of interested in is are you walking around the streets and looking at the newspapers or watching the television and saying, fuck, that's that's interesting.
Speaker 2: There's a little bit, but mostly most mostly routines come from these days is all my friends that can stand up comedians. They're all my friends, They're all the people I know, and so when the news happens, or when there's something happening in your life, you ring them up. And it's very hard to soundboard routines on non comedians. They can't see it, and other comedians can see it, and they'll go add this line to take away that line, blah blah blah. Other comedians can see. My wife can't see it. I've tested out so many jokeson and she can't. She goes, why is that funny? And then she sees it live and I can see her laughing in the audience, but she can't. She can't see it. So so for the most part, when you say observations, you make an observation. You ring up your best mate and you go, what do you think of this? And then he goes, I got a bit, And you help each out with you and then you and then you go on. Yeah, there's there's a good camaraderie for the most part between comedians. There's very few comedians who hate each other or anything like that. For the most part, we're all pretty solid with each.
Speaker 1: Other, you know, pretty collaborative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, well, not collaborative because you're still working by yourself. But but you help out your mates, you know what I mean. And but often if you get off stage, even a comic who doesn't know you very well will say to you, I have a tag. I have a tag and just another punchline to add on to the end of the joke to get one extra life. And so we give each other tags.
Speaker 1: Do you do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well yeah, if I.
Speaker 2: Can help another comic gap, for sure. Yeah, if I got the lines there, routine is there. If I got a line that can help them out, yeah, yeah, for sure, teach them tell them no because because also, comedy doesn't read very well. Yeah, I never understood comedy reads terribly. See look at it this way, right, So comedy is a visual and audio art form, right, You're gonna have silent comedies and you're going to visual and audio art form. It never reads brilliantly. You know, if you were to.
Speaker 1: Read I mean in a text.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even I find it very hard when I'm reading a comedy script to sort of see it, you know. Sometimes you know, if you were to read novelization of the Three Stooges, how depressing would that be? Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's stupid.
Speaker 2: It's a story of three men with mental diminished mental capacity trying to look for work. They're homeless, three homeless men would diminished mental capacity looking for work during the Great Depression Mo LARRYN Curly Yeah, and then everything is like then he smashed him in the head with a bat. It sounds like a horror film, like it doesn't read funny, but those three men made it really, really funny.
Speaker 1: So is it the theater?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: The theater of them is their theater that makes it funny.
Speaker 2: People have funny bones, don't they some people Some people have funny bones, and some people don't have funny bones. And that's why, you know, you can't teach people to be funny. But over time they can learn if they are are funny, they can learn to be good comedians, you know what I mean. But you can't inherently teach someone to be funny in the same way you can't make someone musical. You know you can't. I do believe that over time, you could probably teach an actor.
Speaker 1: It's funny.
Speaker 2: I think acting is all confidence in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and understanding the routine so no, none, what's in front of it, and being confident You're right. It's funny you should say about music because my mother maybe learned the piano up until you hc but I played piano like America around music. I could play it, I knew what I was doing. I could read the music, but I didn't have a musical bun on my.
Speaker 2: Body didn't have the musicality.
Speaker 1: Whereas my brother I could listen to something and walk going out start playing it. I could never do that I could put in front of I could do it. And I think your point it's a really good point, like probably and I've never thought about it commedity, But the same applies to Community's what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but funny is inherent in you. You have funny bones. So I got two brothers, and I don't think I'm being rude to either of them by saying this. One of my brothers and he knows which one is also got the funny gene. My father has the funny gene, and my mother and my other brother do not. They didn't have the funny gene. My mother had amazing stage presence. She was a school teacher that when she walked in the room, all the kids sat up and stopped talking. She had nothing to say. My dad has no stage presence, and he's one of the funniest people I've ever met. It could have gone the opposite way for me and my brother's been funny. And I look at my nephews and nieces and my sons and me and the funny brother, we look at them like we're on the Jedi Council, like the force is strong with this one. And I don't think they'll be upset. But out of my nephews and nieces, I have one niece who's got it. She's got it in Spain. And my eldest boy, but we don't know about the three year old yet. I sense he might have it. My oldest boy has it as well.
Speaker 1: Really, missus.
Speaker 2: My wife's My wife's got a good sense of humor. She's very funny. And my oldest boy's mother is very funny person. But my my son, he's he's got it. He's got the he's got the gene. And my niece has the gene. The three year old, I think has the gene. But it's too hard to tell with this youngly whether he's gonna he's gonna have the force strong with him. But it's a wonderful moment when you when you go, oh, he's gottish. And I think it's no different than an athlete throwing the ball to their son and going, oh, you just did that little thing with his hands, that little flick on hand coordination, Yeah, your hand eye coordination or just little intuitive things. You know, it to be a great like rugby league player or something that it's not just enough to be fast and strong and and and you know, have good hands. There's also got to you've got to feel the players around you when the pass, and stuff like intuition that that other players don't have this great instinct.
Speaker 1: It makes sure you look like you're more time than everybody else. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Andrew John's like so much of you do you follow footy mate?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to get the North Sydney Bears back in the Cup.
Speaker 1: There might end up being in the West Australian team.
Speaker 2: If you think I don't know, I'm part of the consortium trying to get them going.
Speaker 1: I told them, but do you think do you think they should be? But do you think they should keep the name bears? Along with me, I'm not investing money if they don't keep the name Bears. I'm not investing money unless they're red and black.
Speaker 2: I don't care if there's a new I want stripes. Yeah, just those colors, just the red and black, the red and black and the Bears. And I don't want to change the logo. Just keep the bit underneath that says nineteen oh eight. That bit's wild.
Speaker 1: They were they nineteen were the nineteen.
Speaker 2: Eight They were one of the original teams, the original foundation clubs, Foundation Club right nineteen oh eight where it's is North Sitneo just right Perth. That's all we got to do, right And then the jersey they can play around with it and put their own stamp on it for Western Australia. But I if I move back to Australia and I intend on doing this in my life, I don't intend on retiring and living in America. And I love America. I'm very proud to be an American citizen in America has done a lot for me. My wife's British. But if one day I'll live in Australia again when I was an old man. I'll live in Australia and I'm going to live in Perth. I love Perth. By the way.
Speaker 1: They tell me you really hit the ball out of the park with the misses.
Speaker 2: She's all right, my wife killed. I'll do all right, I'll do it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know. I just thought, but my team here. I just want to saying, my god, he's missus.
Speaker 2: I mean, your wife's a good looking woman. Yeah, she's too good looking for me.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, what's the deal? How did you meet it?
Speaker 2: I got more money than her.
Speaker 1: Helpful.
Speaker 2: I met my wife on an app dating app. There is a dating app called Riot, which is for the famous, rich and the good looking. My wife. My wife is an actor and at that stage she was in a TV drama called The Resident, which is one of those medical procedural, you know shows. And I was doing the Jim Jeffrey Show at that stage, and I was on the app and we paired up and it's just so happened. She lived three hundred meters from my Yeah, and she uh and she's just a couple of streets up around the corner right in London, and and so she was she was living up the road. I was at that stage a single dad and my ex was living down the road, and I I had my son one week on, one week off, and so on those weeks off, you know, I was dating, you know, trying to get me you know. Yeah, Well they are a job interviews, aren't they. That's every day to a job interview, trying to try to employ someone. We'll give you a three month trial period, see how it goes. Yeah, you know what I mean. And so I started dating my wife. I think she wouldn't have given me a second or third day if I didn't live so close. She was just like, yeah, there's a shag around the corner, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: She was like, she practical, All that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can shag this bloke until I find someone better. And I won her over because my wife's British and there's a footage of me on the Bill marshow I got a bit heated in a discussion on the bill Marsha, and I told Pierce Morgan to go fuck himself, and I gave him the finger and they had to cut to an ad break, and yeah, I got all fired up.
Speaker 1: And what was the top we are going over?
Speaker 2: Look? This was back when Trump had just gone in. And do you remember the Muslim band?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you had a whole comment that.
Speaker 2: It wasn't it wasn't they say, I wasn't a Muslim band. It wasn't a Muslim band. It was just people from Arab countries. But they they weren't being allowed in even with their green card. You know. It was like at that stage, it was like a thing. And so Pierce Morgan, this is what really happened. That wasn't what I was fired up about. I just didn't like Pierce Morgan. Right now, Pierce Morgan and me got into an argument. I can't for the life of me, I can't remember what it is. I haven't been on Twitter for over seven years, but.
Speaker 1: You got the arguments on Twitter that yes.
Speaker 2: So so on Twitter on Twitter way before that. Pierce Morgan and me got into a little verbal ultimately like a little written altercation. Then cut to and I didn't think anything of it. I was just happy, you know, get a bit of press from each other, you know. And then and then I was booked to the Bill Marsha and he sends me a direct message and he go all he writes to me. He goes, I'll be sitting six feet away from you. You better bring your a game. And I was like, fuck, that can't right like this, it's on. If he fucking starts, and a little bit of autism kicked off. I was like, I got talking about he comes at me and so so I'm sitting there and he brings up that and I said, you're full of fucking shit, mate. I said, you're just happy that you're your friends with the president. Mate, that's all you're happy about because you were on a little fucking game show and you can suck up to that blake. You're a fucking dickhead, you know. I went on. I went him a bit like that, and he goes, oh, please, you're losing your audience. And I turned to the crowd. Now this could have been a career ending moment, right. I turned to the crowd. I went, have I lost you? If they were silent, I'm done for Yeah, cooked cook, Yeah, I go, have I lost you? And they went and I went, what are you fuck like? I went for it, and then they had to cut do an ad break right, and my social media, the whole world was for me, was going crazy in that moment. The whole internet started talking about her anyway. So I said to my wife and she goes, I like the Bill Marsha. That was her favorite comedian, Bill Maher And I said, oh, I told Pierce Morgan to fuck off on the Bill Marsha. And then in that moment, she went she watched. She didn't she didn't know it was me, but then she goes, you're the bloke and she I went to the bathroom, and I came back and she was on her phone and she's talking to her mum because my wife's quite poshing. Listen, so she still calls her parents mummy and daddy as they do, you know, with that type of thing. And she goes, she goes, mummy, remember the man who told Pierce Morgan to fuck off? I'm at dinner with him right now. And so me and Pierce have no problem anymore. Because I wouldn't have met my my wife wouldn't have married me. Unless I told him to fuck off.
Speaker 1: So did you reconnect me?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you what the other day, I got no problem with Peter Morgan. So after the Pierce Morgan thing, people got online and spread it and all that type of stuff, and he tried to sort of say, oh, pull up some old jokes where I said offensive things and try to make the audience turn on me a bit and JK rowlings like she said. Watching Pierce Morgan get told the fuck off on TV was as satisfying as I hoped it would be. Right And Pierce Morgan, he must had a real fucking bag up his ass about the whole thing, because he goes, I'm hardly going to be told off by a woman who writes books about wizards. He like, mate, that fucking only the Bible is so more. Yeah, literally, only the Bible is so more. Like you can make anything.
Speaker 1: And that's been around for two thousand year selling so yeah, but she's only been around short period.
Speaker 2: Make anything seem small by breaking it down. The wizards, you know, and so and so so. Pierce Morgan's son has I believe a Hogwarts tattoo, and so he posts a picture of the tattoo and goes, well, this has become awkward, right. So from that moment on, I was sort of enjoying it a little bit. I was like, okay, so Pierce, it all dies down. I got no problem with Pierce Morgan, and I don't think he does either. I think he he attracts that type of attention. That's what he wants. Maybe that little moment backfired for him, but for the most part, when he's talking about Megan Markle or something like that, he wants to be talked about. That's his thing, you know, that's his game, you know. And so he was doing the interview with the lady from Baby Reindeer, you know, the real Perle who was a stalker, and I love Baby Reindeer. And then I really I had to tune into Pierce's shade to watch that thing. And so I put out a little post on my social media. I said, I said, Piers Morgan did a very good job here, and I put a picture and a link to the thing, and he reposted it. So I don't know if we're cool, but I think we're on the on the right track, you know. So I me and Pierce are probably good.
Speaker 1: That's a great story.
Speaker 2: If I met Piers Morgan, as I said, I'd give the man a hug. Mate. He he My son wouldn't have been born without him, you know what I mean. Yeah, so fucking thanks, Pierce.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about Trump?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure, I mean, I know it.
Speaker 2: Gets you into a lot of trouble because the problem with the Trump thing is you're damned if you do. You're damned if you don't, you know, as a comedian, because half the nation bloody well, not even half half the nation's Republican, and then then twenty percent of them a super trumpy right, and the people who are really into Trump, they get very angry when you joke about him. But it's very hard as comedian not to joke about him, especially during that first run when he's going grab him by the pussy. We didn't think he was going to win, so to t he's a man that's saying grab him by the pussy and all the type of stuff. Of course we were going to make jokes about it, you know. And I'm not a big Trump fan, I think, but on mine, you know.
Speaker 1: A big Trump fund or not a big Republican fan.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, I'm okay, so more a liberal. You Look. Look, I'll be honest with you. If I was to vote here in Australia, I'm a bit more right wing than you think I am.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm not Dune's watching this, by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm Yeah, I'm more right wing than you think I am. That's all I'm going to say on that. But when I'm in America, they think I'm basically a bloody communist because being right wing in being left wing in America means, Okay, I believe in gun control, I believe in universe, health care right, and I believe in a woman's right to do what she wants with her body. So those three things, healthcare, guns, and abortion, they're the bloody they're the poster children for the fucking Republican Party. That's what they want. And in America, as long as they keep talking about those three things over and over, and they can fuck you in the ars with taxes, all they fucking want, right, because all we're arguing is about is abortion, and they did in the debate abortion, guns, health care right. So I am left leaning in America and that makes me or liberal. Yeah, I'm somewhat of a socialist. I believe in a society where we take care of our most vulnerable. I believe in housing for I believe in housing for the homeless. I believe. You know, all these different things, but you know fact that there's lots of tax things that I'm right wing about. You know, there's a lot of shit that I'm very right wing about. But as an Australian, I'd be right. I'm a right wing Australian, left wing American. So I'm in a terrible position in my career because people from the left, the extreme left, they don't like me. People from the extreme right fucking hate me. And my fans are the eighty percent of the population who are in the middle who for most of us, we just shut the fuck up, just going don't want to talk to you either. It would be about it right. The problem I have is when the right wing go for me, I don't have the left defending me. And when the left gave for me, I don't have the right thing. And how do they go through like you, people say troll and saying rubbish about your untruths about.
Speaker 1: You or what do you do? Do you just ignore it?
Speaker 2: Do you respond? No? No, no, no, I don't even buddy bother about it. There's only one thing that matters in my career. There's only one thing that matters, and that's ticket sales. Yeah, right, And if they drop, I'll ask what's going on? But until then, you know, you just keep you just keep. Like even now, there's people watching this podcast who don't agree with half the shit I've said already, you know what I mean. But I hope that you understand that we're all different, aren't we, and you've got little things about you that you believe in that I'm not going to agree with this idea that we have to be all one way or all the other. I'm right wing on some subjects and left wing on other subjects, and it depends I go subject to subject. You know, you're never gonna I don't think I think I pay too much taxes in California. I know I do too much and I don't get anything in fucking return. I'm very right wing about that, you know, because American tax system is fuck in California's fust fucked, you know, it's fucked totally, It's fucked. And now they're and if I have to hear another Democrats say, ah, the one percent need to be paying more taxes. They fucking are, they are. It's the one percent of the one percent who's not paying. You know, you start getting tax money from fucking Amazon, What are you bothering me for? I'm paying through the fucking wazoo, you know what I mean. So it's like there's always a scapegoat, you know that these people aren't doing enough, and this is why our society. So in America, I pay all these fucking taxes, and what do I get in the end? More military? I get more military, more military. Fix the fucking pothole in the street, and get rid of all the homeless people and put them into fucking housing. Work on the fucking mental health of all the soldiers that have come back from the wars and are all fucked up in their head. How about we work on that for a little bit and stop spending it on more missiles. It turns out that in America, guess what, they've made enough weapons. They've made enough weapons the last forever. And I used to think that, oh no, we've got to be strong because you know what about Russia and China. Have you been fucking what? They can't take over the Ukraine?
Speaker 1: Mate, you're worried about Russia together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've got the Russians have technology from fucking Top Gun and not Maverick, the original Top game, just that old shit. And the Chinese we were writing about them for fucking ever. They set a spy balloon, not a drone. They set a spy balloon over America. For days. Yeah, for three days on the news we talked about the spy balloon. The slowest moving largest vehicle that mankind's ever created. Is what they said. We've got enough guns, we've got enough weapons. We're fucking good, start spending it on the actual people. And so me saying, start spending on the people healthcare, housing, that's called socialism, and socialism in America might as well be called communism. That's how they when they hear that word, they hear the word communism. And so I will never talk on stage in America about healthcare because I've tried doing it, and they'll never understand. Now, they will never see why that's a good thing. They'll go, but why should I be paying something when other people aren't paying enough? But da, it's just like dude, just and part of their problems is that they're next to Canada, and the Canadian healthcare systems not the best. You know, the Canadian healthcare system is everybody gets the same healthcare, a homeless person to the Prime minister gets the same healthcare. With the Australian and British system, where you can have public healthcare plus you can have private on top, there's no private on top in Canada, right, So they're always going those people up there are waiting too long for their surgeries, because really, what is healthcare? What is private healthcare? All private healthcare is I get to jump the queue for my surgery and when I'm in hospital, I get my own room. That's the only difference in public too. Whatever. Yeah, I'm facking gone. I've probably lost a lot of fans with this rant right now.
Speaker 1: So when you when you it's sort of interesting to me because when you go off to say like Austin, Texas, which is you know, red territory, fair.
Speaker 2: Well not Austin is the blue and the Sea of Red? Is that right?
Speaker 1: Because because I did listen to one of your shows there and you had them going, you had them in the part of your hand.
Speaker 2: Are you actually came to my show and ostin there, brit.
Speaker 1: And I'm just joking, you were, but I have listened to it. But you had him and but you were bagging the ship out of Trump.
Speaker 2: That was in Nashville, Nashville, say a horse of a different.
Speaker 1: Fully read so as opposed to the opposite here and astraight of course, but red blue. But anyway, but but you had him going and they loved it. You were bagging the ship out of Trump. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have no problem with that. And there's also a lot of Republicans who are Trump Republicans. You know, they want to go back. Remember when we thought that, like George W. Bush was a nutjob, warmhongering tybel thing. And now he's a delightful old man that dances around a bit before you know what I mean. He's fun, the little fell I'll tell you a Texas story about So I was playing I Believe It's Dallas, and I'd done the gun control thing, and before I went down to play Dallas, I had to cancel the show a few months earlier because there was a gun threat to you, yeah, to the theater. Someone was going to come and shoot up the theater. And so Texas is the only place, incidentally, where we had metal detectors for the shows, and people had to turn in their guns and we had a tup of weir contata everybody guns that you get it back after class. You can't have it in the show. And they and they felt unsafe without their gun, you know. But anyway, so the gun control thing, even with what happened with Trump the other day, with assassination, there's people now have been writing to me saying, oh, well, where was your gun control now? And you're like doing exactly what it is. First of all, he shouldnt have had a gun, and men that knew what they were doing eliminated the threat. People seemed to think that if all the punters in the crowd all had their guns, maybe you wouldn't have gotten up on that tower or something. But then you'd be you know what I mean. But if those gunshots went off, they a would have pulled it out. We wouldn't have known who the shooter was. It would have been fucking mayhem. You need an US and their mentality, you know. Anyway, So I I had to cancel me gig to go back to Texas and then they reschedule it and the threat hadn't really gone away in so I was like, all right, I got to do the show, and I don't want people to panic, and I don't think I don't think the threat's real, so there's no point telling you. So we go back to the theater and I rang the cops up and I said, can we have a sort of bit more of a presence at the show? And they said, well, you know, we we can. You can pay the charge. So in America you can buy cops in uniform on their off time. There's their second job to do your personal security for it, which is what I did. So I bought I believe eight or nine cops and I had two on the edge of the stage and I had them at each exit door, so there was a big and then they're metal detected. In it was I've never seen a comedy show with more sort of security. And I'm in my dressing room. I got there two hours before the show, and I normally get there about thirty minutes before the show, but because of this in and then I wanted to know what was going to happen and all the protocols in it. And I'm in my dressing room. In the dressing room, next to me, all the cops are being briefed, and they're all sitting around there, and then and the police officer goes, Okay, I'm gonna need to have I'm gonna need one of you on each door. You can pick your door. I don't care which door you want to pick, you know, And who wants to be the two cops at the edge of the stage right. And one of the cops goes like this, Hey, why are we even here, sarge? And he goes, well, this this particular comedian has been getting death threats. Well why has he been getting death threats? Well, he does a routine about gun control. And then one of the cops who was paid to protect me, he said, maybe he should learn to shut his fucking mouth.
Speaker 1: Then, oh, my god, as you feel, I don't.
Speaker 2: Reckon this Caun's got a dove in front of a bullet between me and you, I reckon I might be left out there. You know that same cop you had a big tash and he had those boots over the pants. He's like a highway cop sort of guy. And every joke you just sort of throughout the show. He wasn't having a good time. He didn't like me or what I had to say. I was a pain in the ass.
Speaker 1: But I think it's really funny the way you sort of talk about Trump in terms of his simplicity, the way he sort of speaks his simplicity in his speech, his language, his topics, his content, Like how do you get away with it? Like do you ever get a phone call from Trump's people?
Speaker 2: No one's ever said they don't worry about things like that. Now I said about Trump, I said, I had some clip that went good about about how it was a fucking routine. It went viral. There was a routine about what was it about. I was just like, don't be an asshole, and just like you know, I can't. I can't remember what it was. It was something. It was something about the lead with love or something. It was a very sort of love versus hate. Love versus hate was my routine. You love versus hate, and if you.
Speaker 1: Love, won't always be hate on hate don't work hate. Hate love can get onto sometimes love can beat hate, not always. And he said it sound like to a hippie.
Speaker 2: That was the routine that I did, right, thing right, so so love can beat hate and all this type of stuff. And it was something that I just sort of said in passing like maybe he said it a couple of times, and I said it on the recording, just thinking it wouldn't make the cart and it went viral and that type of stuff. And then I did a few jokes on my TV show about him, and then I did the grab him by the pussy routine. I did a whole grab him by the bus and he was just a very easy, sort of buffoonish sort of a man to make to make fun out of that.
Speaker 1: There's no political content behind it, though.
Speaker 2: Is he No? Wait? Look, look, I would never vote for Trump, but I never vote for Biden. I believe that every celebrity will tell you to make sure you get out there and vote. That's the celebrity catchphase. After an election, they'll all post themselves with their sticker I voted. Make sure you vote. No, no, no, don't vote. We deserve better than this. We deserve better options than a fucking lunatic and a seno old man. They're both fucking old as well.
Speaker 1: We should just let.
Speaker 2: Those two men vote. That's it, just those two and they have to vote on an iPad. Whichever one can do it without the help from their grandchild. They get to run the free world. You know what I mean, Like we deserve more?
Speaker 1: What is that like? I mean, you're you live in the States. Why is it such a shitty choice?
Speaker 2: A lot of people believe that. But so Joe Biden for the most part, whether you agree with his policies or whatever, he has been a good public servant. He has dedicated his life and being a public servant. Whether you agree with him or not. Trump has had many different lives before he became this guy. He's been a businessman, a real estate guy, to the BV presenter, to the president. He's had like art different lives until he got to that thing. Biden's had one life, same life, public service, public service. And there's things I've liked about Joe Biden. I've always felt, you know, I've had tragedy in my life. Right He lost his wife and his five year old child in a car accident, you know. And he's not a good talker, Joe Biden. He's not a great talker. But whenever he talked to people who lost their children in an incident or something like that, even if it was like a school shitting or something like that, when he spoke from the heart, it was quite beautiful because you knew he'd been through it, you know what I mean. So I always had a soft spot for him in that, because you know, you can be the most powerful man in the world, but doesn't bring bring his child back, doesn't bring his child back, right, So I always had a soft spot for him for that. But and I look his policies, and I don't want to get into what's going on in Israel and Palestine, and I'm not going to get into that fucking debate. And you know whether I agree or not with those type of things. And you know, do I think he's done enough for certain things or I think he's covered all of his promises? No? Not really, right, But he could have gone out on the top on a high. He could have stood up at the Republic at the Democrat We'll see, we're all fluff lines, right. He could have stood up at the Democrat convention and handed the torch over to someone else and gone, thank you so much, and I'm gloud to be American, thank you for having me. And he would have been left a hero, the man who defeated Trump, the man who got the Democrats back in. But all he will be remembered for is a bitter old man who wouldn't give up power a petty old person, or do you man, hang on, but do you think I don't think there's a chance in hell he can no, But do you think he's doing it out of the greater good?
Speaker 1: And says there's no one else? He really believes his noels can defeat Trump.
Speaker 2: I think that'd be ego. There must be something so intoxicating about power. I don't know what it is, because I wouldn't want to. So what do we had? Like forty five forty six presidents or something? Yes, something like something like five of them have been killed. Yeah, that's not a good stat it's not a stat.
Speaker 1: That I was not a job.
Speaker 2: I'd want one and nine chance I'm going to die one and nine chance I'm going to be killed. And not only that, half the population fucking hates you. Hates you. Yeah, right at the end, you get paid fuck all, and then the rest of your life you have to have public servants and all that type of stuff and security around you all the bloody time because someone's going to knock you. But there must be something wonderful about it. Why do they all hold why do they want it? Why does Ruth Bader Ginsburg not give it up? Why does that what's the name Steinberg or whatever? That she was one of the things, she was buddy in her nineties, and she was holding onto a fucking job, right, Mitch McConnell, Why am I watching this? Old can't fucking not giving up power? They have to hold on this? I'd like, do you get blow jobs all the time? What happens? Well, well, yeah, not all the time, though maybe more. But what is so wonderful about this power? My theory is that the job only attracts psychopaths only because who else would want to do it? Who else would get anything out of that? Why would you ever? I understand getting into politics and maybe wanting to make a difference, but running the free world? Fuck that?
Speaker 1: Do you mean American politics? So what do you mean everywhere? Generally? What about here?
Speaker 2: I would say anywhere? I'd say anywhere you can't tell me, I'll go. I'll go both sides of the party right from my childhood right? How many times did John Howard keep fucking going for it, going for it, just wanting it, wanting it, wanting it. Paul Keating the whole time was sitting behind Bob.
Speaker 1: Hawk, just desperate.
Speaker 2: What did they want so desperately? What do you get out of it? And it's the sense of maybe going as high in life as you can go, going as far as you can go. Now I understand that maybe going Let's see how far I can take this life. Let's see how high I can go, Let's see how popular I can get, important I can be. But Biden did it. He did it, he became He was vice president for two terms, and he was president for a term. And now he's going to be remembered as this blake who wouldn't give up power when he was very clearly no, dementia is a strong word. But my brain's not as sharp as it was ten years ago, a bit more forgetful, stumble over me words, a little tiny bit fucking haighty two. I'm going to be fucking dribbling right. And you're like, you can't rule the bloody world. What's wrong with just sitting on your arse and watching Telly?
Speaker 1: But you he might be getting influenced by his wife the first.
Speaker 2: If I was his wife, especially like his son has been dragged through the mud for things that he did do. Although that's funny in it. But he gets done. He gets done for fucking having a gun and an inappropriate place, and the Republicans like got him. It's like, so you do agree with some gun control there, We should at times have some gun in control. And even with mate Donald Trump. You fucking why the hush money? She signed a contract, mate, she signed a non disclosure. Why are we getting into her. She's meant to be hushing, that's the whole thing. He didn't do anything illegal with the hush money. What he did was the funding of the money coming out of the wrong funds and that type of stuff. But she should have been shut up about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's nothing wrong rush money because she took the money to be quiet.
Speaker 2: She took the money to be quiet. You didn't make her do anything. And yeah, if anything, I think for a man of his wealth, she gave him a very reasonable price. One hundred and fifty grand I think, bloody very reasonable.
Speaker 1: Now she's filthy that she could have got more.
Speaker 2: Well, she should have asked the bloody more.
Speaker 1: She should have. I guess I've just been watching and listening to the energy that comes out is fucking crazy. It's mental. I'm saying mental energy, Like really good. And if I just if I wind it back and I know that you've given up the grog and you stop drinking. Does Doug's alcohol, you know whatever? Does that make you more energeticalless energy?
Speaker 2: That The whole thing is like the infetamines are meant to calm me down with your attention, devisity disorder and all that type of stuff, and you meant to be you take them. It makes your focus and you watch the fucking TV and you know. But for other people that Trump's meant to be an adder all the whole time. That's why people reckon that's I can't speak for this, but that's where people reckon, He's on the adder.
Speaker 1: Big American drug.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's but it's basically dexadrenaline. It's dexadrenas. It's it's trying to It's like it makes you focus and do exams very quickly and memorize a speech or whatever. I I weed came into my life very late in life, when I was only into uppers and not downs, and I've never been into painkillers or anything like that.
Speaker 1: We weren't smoking hot ones.
Speaker 2: Of that, no, no, just edibles, yep. And when it became legally. I only ever took legal weed. It is the only drug that ever took legally. And then there was shops and you just buy gummy bears and you buy this.
Speaker 1: And you're in California, every state, yeah California.
Speaker 2: But in saying that, they let you travel around America with it for the most but they made a press release from Lax Airport saying, stop trying to hide it. We're not looking for it. Like that's the other ends problem, you know what I mean. So, so I found that weed. I don't think I could have become a pothead if I was single. I needed alcohol to lubricate my confidence to be able to talk to women or have ay thing, because we weed makes me the opposite of what I am right now. Yeah, weed makes me sit back in its chair and just watch Telly with my wife and not be the whole whole fucking time. So weed came into my life and really changed things up. And then when I got into weed, and I'd already given up alcohol, and I was sort of struggling with quitting alcohol, and then I took up weird and I never struggled with the alcohol again. I don't ever want to drink again, I don't like what I became on alcohol, and what do you become like? I became a sloppy drunk. I became what the Americans referred to as a lush.
Speaker 1: But like as in what we would call a lush if somebody wants to go own dart and everybody, no, no.
Speaker 2: No no.
Speaker 3: I wasn't an aggressive drink where I was Yeah, yeah, guy drive, sloppy, sloppy, dribbling person, the guy you wouldn't want around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was. I used to be what they call a very good drinker, but was I I was just on cocaine, so so a decade before that, I was this guy on stage drinking nine ten pints of alcohol and people people going this guy as a champion drinker on top of the group, on top, on top of the booze. The cocaine made me keep drinking. Drink and drink and drink and drink. And I was drunk in my head, but I was steady as a fucking die to talk to you because of the k caine, you know what I mean. And I don't think I was what you call a terrible asshole on on either one of those drugs, but I do believe that my my restraint with my tongue or saying stupid things that went away, you know, which is both a powerful thing and you lost your judgment or my judgment. My judgment went away. I never got into fist fights, really, I well I was. I think I got into one in Boston that I would have walked away from if I wasn't drunk. But to this day, I wasn't at fault in that fight. But a sober person would have walked away. But the person pushed me first, and then I went for him, and then you know, like that type of thing. So you go, well, that's not good. And you know I'm more argumentative or whatever. You know, I wasn't a terrible, nasty drunk, but but you know, you could get the very happy version of me as well. It's very nice, but I could say some nasty comments, you know, every now and again, I could be a bit bit more mean.
Speaker 1: I guess so now though.
Speaker 2: I just man, I just that's what I'm saying. I wouldn't be. I'm not high right now. I don't plan on getting high tonight. I'm not high every night the week, A couple of days a week, a couple of days a week. I've taken edible, I watched Man, I got young kids. I have to watch a lot of fucking Pixar movies and we does a lot of heavy lifting for those films. But my son is funny because I'm always very open with who I am and what I'm doing and all the type of stuff. And my wife my son, who is who has inherited the wonderfulness of dyslexia? Right? So yeah, yeah, my father hasn't, but you got it.
Speaker 1: You don't have him on then my son lovely boy, and he's very gentle like he's mother, very general, funny lad not to stuff.
Speaker 2: But I so, me and the wife were there when my son was I don't know seven, and he was still having problems spelling and all that other stuff. Seven is a bit old to be having these problems. You know. He wasn't quite getting me. He had him in tudors and all that stuff, and so I was. I walked into the room and I was, I guess I was being overly friendly. And my wife went to me, she goes, are you high, right? And I said no, right, And then my son goes, I can spell, you know, And I said, oh yeah, mate, what does high spell? And he went drunk and that was when I just crossed over to the other way. Yeah, to being high over over booze, you know, because it's been twelve hundred in something days, it's been over. It's March tenth, three years ago, three and a bit years ago as my last alcoholic beverage.
Speaker 1: And do you have to do you see people about it?
Speaker 2: Just I tried going to AA for a bit and it wasn't for me. And I appreciate that AA works for other people, but it didn't work for me in the sense that I like to pack things up and put them away, not like not bury them, but I like things to be behind me. I like my mistakes. I like to apologize for my mistakes and move forward, try not to do it again, and try not to do it again. That's what I like to do, you know what I mean. There's no point having to fucking constantly go to meetings and talk about how shit I.
Speaker 1: Was a few years ago, because you know well enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know well, and that's just for me and other people. It really works. Yeah, And what happened was as well. It was during COVID and a comedian friend of mine. I won't mention anyone's names because it's called anonymous for a reason. During COVID, a friend of mine who's an alcoholic, I, you know, I couldn't stop drinking At one stage, I just couldn't stop drinking. And as soon as I went back out on the on the road, they started opening up clubs. I was just a mess. I'd given up other drugs so long ago. I couldn't. People thought I was really spiraling, but it was just I wasn't doing cocaine. I was just sloppy, and I was just stumbling and falling over out the front of comedy classes. Yeah, and I've never had I have no interest in having one beer. I don't understand one beer. If I'm drinking, I'm drinking. And I'm even the same way with food. I keep I keep my weight off by fasting for two days. That's the only way I can do it. I can. I'd bother all or nothing. So during my fast days, you meant to eat under five hundred calories, I eat nothing. I don't eating nothing today. I won't eat anything today because food doesn't exist. I've gotta remember that food doesn't fucking exist, right, That's pretty powerful though.
Speaker 1: Yeah you can eat that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So it's like I'd like to eat today, but sadly food doesn't exist, so I can do that Mondays and Wednesdays, I don't eat right and say the same with alcohol, if I had one beer, I was having until I was obliterated. That's all I cared about, was going until I was obliterated. And so I broke down, and I remember I called my manager and my agent up, my American manager and agent, not my strange one who's here in the other room. And I broke down tears, and they wanted me to do a gig, and I said I can't leave the house right now because I can't control it. I said, oh, I can't control it, and they never I never admitted to other people that I had a problem ever until then. I said, I can't control it. So I started another comedian who I knew was sober, but I didn't know the extent of how his life and what he'd been through. He'd rang me up, and me and him weren't great mates before this. We're good friends now. But he rang me up and he talked to me and he said, look, I have an aa meeting, right, And this AA meeting is just comedians, and there's loads of famous people in there, so don't worry that you're going to be you judged by people or whatever. And so there was comedians that I knew, who I never even knew was sober, and they were there, and they come to this meeting on zoom every day, every day, every day. And so I did it for a few weeks. And the biggest problem was that if you do AA, everyone shares, right. I thought about having a drink this week, and then I looked at the bottle of whiskey, and I thought to myself, No, not today, And I'm just grateful to be sober today and maybe not tomorrow, but I'm good today, and all my fucking the problem was it was with all with comedians. Now, as you've experienced on this podcast, comedians like to fucking talk. So everyone shared. Every single fucking meeting. There's about fifteen of us and they're all logging in for ten minute shares. Oh, he was taking up three four hours of me day fucking day. I don't have enough time to be sober. It's taken up too much of me time. So when a fact there was comics in there. There was one comic and I won't tell you who. I can tell you after that, there was his one comic. He hadn't had a drink in thirty years, and he was still sharing each fucking day. And I'm just like, when there's Easter, when there's his cat, stop sharing. He's like, it's been thirty years, four days and twenty six hours. We make it five days, right, five days and two hours and two hours since my last drink. And I walked past a restaurant I used to drink in there, but not today, you know what I mean. I'm just like, the longer you're sober, the less sharing we need, the less share. Like if a guy just gets sober last week because he's fucking yelled at his wife or been abusive to his kids or whatever's fucking he's lost his job, let's see it from that count.
Speaker 1: Tell me something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that comes so that can's got a new fresh story to tell me. I don't want to hear about you having problems. Is that the eighty four Olympics or some shit fuck off?
Speaker 1: Can I just quickly talk before I go? And they get wound upbout one hundred times ever it, But I just want to talk quickly about the Channel seven ship. Sure, one second, one yeah, So obviously you live in America. Soon I hear everybody's watching it every day. They're probably thinking, you just did it yesterday afternoon. How do you? How do you do that show? On how and how many?
Speaker 2: There's a big debate down at Channel seven right now whether I keep my mustache on it, because I've shown up just with a bit of facial hair, and I look I think I look like Ianterpy. You know, there's a rich history. There's a rich, rich history of game show with mustaches.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 2: So what we do is we record ten episodes over two weeks, one episode a day, you know, Monday to Friday, and we record the episodes and then there's one week of prep work where we write like the little intros and outros and the little joke Like people always get angry that I talk over the thirty seconds while you're trying to think of your answer. I have to do that. I can't not talk. There can't be dead air. That's part of my contract that I have to do it. So I apologize. I'm not trying to annoy you, but but so I really. It was one of those things that it's like I'd done a bit acting and I'd done I've done sitcoms, and I've done I've done, you know, panel shows where I was talking directly down camera. And here's the thing. I'm a big game show fan.
Speaker 1: Oh really?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I in my in my spare time, I watch Jeopardy every day. I like distractions and game shows that where I have to be engaged. I'm answering, I'm not going to check my phone because I've got to get to the next thing. Can I do the thing and another thing with the with the energy that I have in life, I find that to be something that I find very calming. And I've liked game shows my whole life. Do I think that I could have ever been a game show host?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I never I never ever thought that anyone would.
Speaker 1: That was the approach made like it had it a work like you.
Speaker 2: Can't what did it feels It's like a dream. I can't remember what happened. I remember I remember my manager ringing me up and gate there's a new game show. I know what happened was when I was out here during COVID there there was I fuck it I think I'll just tell this right. I went and did a pilot for I won't say what channel, but they were thinking about bringing blankety Blanks back.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: And I was like, yeah, I'll give that a crack, right, and then Kennedy Yeah, And the pilot went really good. And that's straight up comedy. That's straight up talking to other comedians, not a game show, straight up comedy. And then the networked undern Art and you know, we went back and forth and you know, and they didn't come back with an answer very quickly. And then I think someone else found out that that pilot went quite well, and they said, oh, there's a new game show that needs a comedian hosting it, not a regular game show host, because there's got to be crowd work involved. And I'm so bad at reading that as in script, just reading right. I couldn't do the chase if I had to have a speed round where I had to go, all right, you have thirty seconds of the clock. Let's start now, which horse was at pass? You know I've been telling me questions, Yeah, they never get an answer out. You've won one thousand dollars. I read one.
Speaker 1: Question Larry be happy about that.
Speaker 2: Larry's all right, Larry, Larry's funny. Larry and me talk online every now and again. I've done the morning show and then Larry. Sometimes people talk to me a bit more. They're a bit more sweary when they talk to me because they think that's what I'm into, you know what I mean. And I said to Larry if he ever wants tickets to the show, and he wrote to me and it started off with this, hey fucker could I get Larry? Larry him started the message with hey fucker? And I was like, Larry, oh my, I was touching my purls as I read it anyway, So so I couldn't do anything. So they said, okay, I would have been a good host of is It Cake? You know that's the bittop, but one question, deal or nodeal? I could do deal or nodeal all day. One question. But they said, look, it's only I think it's thirteen thirteen questions over forty five minutes, and so I can somewhat practice them before I go out there. I know the thirteen questions before I walk out there. So the one percent clubs a good quiz for me because I can just go Okay, half the questions are what letters are next in this sequence? I love that with those ones, what letters are next to this sequence? But then there's the other ones. If Bob has four pennies and Sam has twelve cents and she has all the pennies, and like, I think you can hear the panic in my voice as I read those ones out. I go into like, I go into shock. I'm just like I'm gripping the lecter and just it's a big one. But luckily me, like the One Percent Club is arguably the only quiz where you could do it without a host. It would be boring. But the questions are up on the screen. They've got the iPads, they've got the questions on their iPads. My read doesn't really affect how they're going to answer it, you know what I mean, until we get our first blind contestant, and that person's going to fuck me. I'm going to have to get beautiful reads for them, you know, with their fucking braille iPads.
Speaker 1: Or because I've had the case, I've turned it on and I thought, fuck, you're so out of context for me. He just freaks me out, Like I think you don't even look like the same guy.
Speaker 2: Well, I like I like game shows. But as I said, there's seven and there's a big debate going around the building whether I keep the tash or not. Because we start filming on Friday, right, so we start, we start filming in four days. Do I keep the tash doing?
Speaker 1: I'm a vote for the tash keep well?
Speaker 2: I reckon, I force their hand. I reckon. I walk up with a Hitler mustache and see what they say. I'm going to shave it down to the square. Shave it down to the square, push it in of hair nout viral question.
Speaker 1: You are going to return to our shores? You've mentioned something earlier on but like, is it like a dream of yours? You when to come back? You know, to do a Paul Hog and buy a place in Barron Bay, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe I'm i America was nice enough to make me a citizen. So I'm a proud American. I really am.
Speaker 1: But you still got straight citizen, you got dual citizenship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm Australian. Yep, I was born here. I left this country when I was twenty years old and I'm twenty seven now and I haven't lived here since I was twenty two when I left. No, hang on, what was those I know when I left. I got on a plane two thousand and one, September twelfth.
Speaker 1: It's twenty three easier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Twin Towers were footballing as I was packing my bag. Wow. So yeah, it's twenty four, I guess, or something like that. So I haven't lived back here since. But like the great Peter Allen once said, I'd love to suck your cock.
Speaker 1: Now, he probably would have said that God, bless your soul.
Speaker 2: Bless you sow. No, like you once said, don't put a condom on. I don't think I have it. No, I don't so like. I still call Australia home. I really do. I'm a staunch defender of Australia, and I sometimes it might seem like I'm criticizing Australia when I'm joke about it overseas or something like that. There's things about Australia I don't like. You know, there's things that, Okay, I'll tell you the things I do. Like fucking we have the best food in the world. Oh fuck you, nowhere else is fucking closely right. We don't know how good we have it. I'm not just talking about restaurants. I'm talking about bread. Fucking a loaf of coffee, bread, the best coffee, the best bread, the best produce. Everything. You go to a cafe, it's going to be good. It's got a bacon egg sandwich, it's gonna be good. In America, I can find you good places, but a lot of it's shit filled with sugar and additives and this and that, and so just go like I've got a bag of fucking a box of Gay Times in my freezer. I fucking smash through those cuts in one fucking day. I love that shit. Right, there's things I missed. Gay Times and bloody they don't have anything that good. I missed a good meat. But I've actually become a master sausage roll maker because I couldn't buy them, so I make them at home for myself. My sausage ol is the top. Kids they like them, well, my son doesn't mind them. I got to win people. My wife vegan. It's a whole thing. But I'm going to make a vegan sausage owl as well. And if I'm feeling nice, best food in the world. But you know, look how pale I am. Yeah, I got burnt as a kid so badly. I was hospitalized ones blisters on me fucking face, right, I don't get that with the other os and I hate but now sunscreen is a kid used to be Yeah in this now it's just a sh My wife doesn't do that. She says it's cancerous. I'm like, giv me fucking cancer because this is the best invention I've ever had, right, no hat, no play or that type of bullshit. It was hard, you know, Australian sun and all that type of stuff. And also there is a little bit of nanny state about Australia that we sort of don't know about us, right, Like they're lowering the speed limit in most places in Sydney down to forty kilometers an hour.
Speaker 1: That's a fucking ridiculous's all about thirty. Yeah, in the city.
Speaker 2: Especially, that'sicous. You can't get your car out of third gear, right, and then they always put it on us. If it saves just one.
Speaker 1: Life, I actually heard I actually heard someone say that from the city council the other day. But that's a load of on the radio, it's a load of bullshit, he said. If it says one life, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's not saving any lives. The sixty speed limit wasn't the thing that was killing people. It was the cunts driving at one hundred that was killing the people. It was the people not doing the actual speed limit was the reason people were dying. Forty You can fucking walk faster than thirty, right, This is ridiculous. You've been ridiculous. And I can't imagine how many speed cameras I've driven past to get here, and they always put it on us. If it saves one life, fuck off, you're doing it for revenue. Don't fucking lie to us. You're doing it for the fact. So there's certain things like that where I find America is a little you know what else America. The greatest thing about America and it will be turning left on I think turning right on a red getting to a red light and seeing no one going this direction this way, it's just the giveaway sign. You stop, and then you that changes your whole day, That puts a spring in your step. Sensible, bring that sensible. So there's a few things like that, like we're the only country in the world that Buddy lists a death toll over Easter. Every time I turn on the news. I've got to hear who died in Tasmania and who died in Queensland. But it's fucking morbid. Right, there's things in Ala, but the bread's better, the people are the fucking best. Our beaches are second to none, right, and just the food. And I noticed, like my son who's eleven, He's like, I want to be Australian dad, really, but there's things, you know. I want to move to Perth one day and fucking each weekend I go see the Perth Bears.
Speaker 1: That's what's gonna say.
Speaker 2: I go see the Perth Bears, right, fucking that would be heaven. That would be wonderful, you know what I mean? I would deeply miss the Dodgers and watching baseball every day. Baseball's a wonderful sport. And did you hear today? You here today? What happened today? Something historical happened today and it hardly made the news? What was it? Okay? So Australia's had about ten to fifteen baseball players play Major League Baseball and they've all been relief pitchers. We've never had someone smash the cut out of a fucking ball over the fucking fence. Until today. Today, the draft happened and the number one pick was Travis Bazana from Oregon State who went to the Cleveland in or the Cleveland Guardians as it is now, right, he went to the Cleveland Right number one pick. He's a hitter. And the boy was born in Hornsby Hospital, went to Taramara High just up the bloody raid from me right as a kid and he played for the Kring Guy Bears or something as a kid. Right, how is this jewel has come out of the rough? Like there's no batting cages, there's no coaches, there's no one throwing at him as a kid with Mike. My son plays Little League. Half the kids are getting professional training every bloody day. My kid's school has baseball coaches that are just there to coach baseball.
Speaker 1: Right in, This kid from Kring Guy, this kid from.
Speaker 2: Kring Guy is not only in the draft, but he's number one. So you hear here, first, we're going to have a young man called Travis Bazana who's going to be the highest paid Australian athlete in a team sport that has ever been and it hardly made the bloody news. Get on board, Jim Jefferies in me m