Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctyesmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. This is Healthy Her with Amelia Phillipson. Welcome to one of my mini motivation episodes. These are shorter, targeted episode. It's that delve into one single topic, just enough to give you a little turbo boost of motivation. Well, today's episode is perfect if you have heard that strength training is important for you. You know you should be doing it, but you just don't like it, and that's totally understandable. Or maybe you don't know where to start, or maybe you've tried it and you're just not really feeling the vibe. Well, firstly, know that you are not alone. I come across so many women in this boat who grew up in an era where the weights room was just not welcoming for us women. It was very male dominated, intimidating. You know, maybe there was even a fear of bulking up with weight training. Well, I have to say, my friend that the times they are a change in and with a robust research around women's health, the importance of protecting our valuable lean muscle, and of course the metabolic benefits of being strong, we are thankfully seeing more and more strength training options for us to lead in. And I recently pose this question to the Queen of Bone Health, professor Belinda Beck, And if you haven't listened to that episode on Bone Health, I really highly recommend you do. It was awesome. Belinda Beck is a professor in the School of Health Sciences and Social Work at Griffith University. On the Gold Coast. She's completed a postdoctoral research fellowship at Stanford University, the School of Medicine over in California. She's published over one hundred scientific papers, and more recently, with her Griffith colleagues, she's published the results of this amazing clinical trial called the Liftmore Trial, which honestly it re established the benchmark of exercise as therapy for osteoporosis and for people with low bone mass. So she's turned these results into an amazing bone health exercise program called o'neiro, which we speak about in that episode. And look, she sits on so many boards I can't name them here. But what I really love about Professor Belinda is that she's one of those rare unicorns who straddles the world of academia with real world, hands on programs that us mere models can follow. So I posed this question about hating strength training to Belinda, and here's what she had to say. There's a group of women who grew up with an aversion to strength training. You know, in the gym that I worked at, for example, for thirteen years. At this gym, I always think of it a little bit like a jungle. There were all these different species inside this gym. You had, you know that all the ladies were on the cardio, the gazelles were on the cardio machines, and in the classes, and then the weights room where the you know, the elephants and the lions, and it was kind of ninety percent men in the weights room. And I've worked in this gym for thirteen years, and I feel really much like it was an era where women were concerned about bulking up. The weights area of a gym had this very much male dominated and intimidating feeling to it. Butlinda, how much do you think that the cultural perspectives have shaped the rising incidences of osteoporosis.
Speaker 2: Oh, look, I'm not sure that necessarily is the reason. I think that people in general, women and men don't do enough exercise. I certainly think that women don't do enough strength training, But I don't know that that has changed terribly much, you know, in the last century.
Speaker 1: I just see it as an opportunity cost. I think of it like this opportunity cost, Like if I could rewind and go back to the nineties when I first started in the gym and re educate women with what we know today, and see more women stepping into the weights room and more women not being afraid to lift heavy weights. I just do wonder if the landscape would be different today, is where I come from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think if people had been shown the evidence that women very rarely bulk up. You know, there is a certain kind of body type that does get quite muscly, but that is the absolute rarity. And when older women postmenopahorse say to me, I really don't want to get muscly, I just say, you wish you know it's not to happen, And I'm sorry about that, because I wish that you would too. Muscle is your friend. It's the best metabolically active tissue in your body. It's so so good for you. It's so good functionally.
Speaker 1: Research study of one subject aka me, who's been getting a DEXA scan every year on my birthday for the last twelve years. I can attest to how bloody hard it is to later O must because I train hard, I lift extremely heavy, and am I seeing big gains every year? I mean this last year, the amount of grams of lean tissue on me did not change in twelve months. And I do CrossFit so and also I think that a woman with curves and that lean, active tissue on her is sexy. I think that whole slim and skinny thing has gone out the window as well.
Speaker 2: I one hundred percent agree we have some beautiful muscly arms. They're never going to be bulk arms, are just going to be lovely, shapely arms that look great in a sundress.
Speaker 1: So for a woman sitting here wanting to start strength training, not really a fan of it, and unsure how to make that leap, what recommendations would you have for her?
Speaker 2: Well, I would definitely seek some professional advice so that you do it the right way, and then I would get yourself a training buddy. There's just no doubt in my mind that having a partner in crime is the way to go. They are somebody to help encourage you. There's somebody to make you accountable. If oh I don't feel like doing it today, now come on, let's go. That's the person who is going to keep you going. I really think there's strength in numbers. It's the reason why we do our neuro in classes because a class situation for strength training, supervised strength training is really beneficial.
Speaker 1: And I find it so inspirational. So in CrossFit, for example, how a CrossFit class works is that every workout has the same structure, which is you have your warm up, you do about ten to fifteen minutes of mobility work, which can be a combination of active stretching, rolling out rollers, et cetera. And then you do your strength component, which is usually one or two really heavy compound moves, and then you go on to what's called the WAD, which is the workout of the day, and that can be anywhere from seven minutes to twenty five minutes, and it's a mixed bag. It's a surprise. Sometimes it's more cardigo, sometimes it's more strength focus and often with high impact as well. And so with that strength component of it, what's really interesting is that you'll be surrounded by ten fifteen other people and you'll look at this petite looking person who's lifting twice as much as you are and you're so inspired by them, or someone that's ten years older than you that's lifting more than you, and you learn so much from your gym bodies around you, and they give you that confidence and that boosting as well morale. So I'm so with you on training in a group I think it's much more fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. And you learn from their mistakes too. When a coach says to the person you're training with, you know, you're I don't know what's going on there, but your bottom is not where it's supposed to be. Can you lift it up a bit high? You get, oh, what was mine doing last lift? So it just makes you more aware of what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, And I think your point around whether it's getting a personal trainer or a coach or an exercise physiologist or those small group classes if you are new to strength training, don't underestimate the power of edge ducation in confidence, in injury prevention and things like that. And even if I know your personal trainers can be expensive, but even if you have a trainer that you see once a month and they write your program and then they can just wave at you across the room and you can always tap them on the shoulder when they're training someone else, can you just quickly watch my form? Does this look okay? You don't have to be paying them one hundred dollars a session, three times a week to get the most out of a trainer. I think they can be really under resource sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. And like I say, the more at risk you are of injury or fracture or whatever condition it is, the more you need some expert supervision. And so I would definitely be erring on the side of an exercise physiologist rather than a personal trainer in terms of their expertise and getting that advice, And particularly if you're at risk of fracture. Remember, if you have one fracture, you are four times more likely to have another fracture. So you want to avoid that first fracture at all costs. And that's what that's super vision is all about. It's keeping you safe. The risk of injury from exercise is far less than a doctor will tell you. Doctors tend to think that everyone's going to hurt themselves and that's not the case. But if it does happen, it can be very discouraging. It can really set you back. So good to get expert advice.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, well, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doctor Asmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. Just on the fracture comment. When you say a fracture are you talking about It could be an acute fracture that occurred in an accident, like you rolled your ankle down the step or something like that. Are you referring only to exercise induced fracture?
Speaker 2: I'm talking specifically about because if we're doing heavy lifting with people with very low bone masks, there is an inherent risk a fight. That's the whole reason why you need to do a specially designed program that has been tested on people like you, supervised by people who are expert. So yes, there absolutely is a chance that you can have a fracture during heavy lifting, so you do need to be aware of that. Most people who don't have low bone mass, the risk is extremely low. And in years and years of doing a NERO with people with low bone mass, it's nearly ten years in July onarly ten years, we've had a total of four fractures in our clinic during exercise and only one of those has actually been related to a lift. So it can happen, it's very very rare. You don't want that person to be you. The reason why it doesn't happen on our watch is because the supervision is so expert.
Speaker 1: So when you said a moment ago about the increased risk if you've had one fracture, it increases by four. For my listeners who are not osteopenic, so you know they're in that healthy bone density range, but they have had a fracture before due to an accident of some sort, they also four times more likely or is that a completely different scenario.
Speaker 2: You know, once upon a time I would have said, no, this is only related to what we call minimal trauma fracture. Those are the Austia product type fractures. Minimal trauma fracture is something that might happen if you lift up a grandchild and you fracture a vertebral bone, or if you fall from a standing height onto your wrist, that would be a minimal trauma fracture. And that's what that statistic of have one increases your chances by four times to have another minimal trauma fracture. Now, in the past, we used to think that a fracture from say a skiing accident or something that's more high trauma, is not related. But there is some evidence now to say that even those high trauma fractures might be a little bit of a signal that you are actually at risk.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's really good to know, and I hope my listener's got that, because there's lots out there that have picked up netball after a twenty year gap and then unfortunately ended up with a sport it's injury based fracture, So that's really good to know. We mentioned a few ways to make strength training more fun, for example doing it in a group setting. I want to make sure because my listeners are sitting here, you know this episode is title to help I hate strength training. Do you have any other suggestions that can make strength training a little bit more enticing for us?
Speaker 2: I suppose if you hate the process and the main thing that you want to focus on is the outcome. Your goal is to have some nice, strong, shapely arms, or to improve the mass of your bones to prevent fractures, then keep your eye on the price. It takes a little while, but it actually doesn't take too long for muscle changes to be evident. So if you can get yourself over that first sort of eight week hump, by eight weeks, you're going to see functional and physical change that's going to make it worthwhile for you to keep going. You won't see the change in bone for a year, but you will see those muscle functional change. So keep your eye on the price. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that. And I'm going to throw another one in there as well, Belinda, which is about looking at your performance improvement. So the great thing about strength training, especially if you're a bit of a numbers person, is that you're going to see your weights in proving you may have only been able to do two push ups, maybe not being able to do zero push ups on your toes when you first started, and now you can do two, and then a few weeks later you can do four. And so I'm a real fan of actually measuring and tracking the weights that you're lifting and setting yourselves little goals like, for example, I said, a lot of my members a goal of being able to deadlift their body weight ten times. So think about whatever you weigh and loading up that bar, and how many reps can you do. Obviously I'm talking about for someone that's already regularly strength training, you might have to start at half your body weight. Can you deadlift half your body weight? But with the goal of being able to deadlift your body weight ten times? And then you know, in cross we've got some of our ladies that are up to double their body weight. I think setting those little, you know, measurements and performance based milestones to reach can feel really rewarding when you get there. So that's going to be one of my little tips to throw in as well.
Speaker 2: I WoT one hundred percent agree. And the natural beauty of that suggestion is the fact that those games are always much greater and much more obvious. When you start, it gets diminishing. I mean, you're probably put you probably haven't increased the weight you're lifting for a long time.
Speaker 1: There's this great app called Smollov Junior, and for any of my advanced lifters out there, this was what I implemented last year after my very depressing dexa result where I hadn't improved one gram of muscle mass in twelve months. I do this smallov which is a three week program, and I was able to get to double my body weight in a dead lift. And yes, it's so much harder for me. And I see all these newbies coming through and they're just increasing their weight. It's a much faster ray. I'm like, I hate you right now. I'm just inching my way a little bit by little bit. So just to wrap up, I'd love to ask you if you could pick between one to three strength moves that deliver the best bang for buck when it comes to bone health. I've got mine in my head, but I want to know what yours are. What are your favorite strength moves?
Speaker 2: Well, if I told you that, I would have to kill you and me like, I can't tell you those.
Speaker 1: I knew you were going to say that that's what my listeners a hire for. Well, can I tell you mine? From my perspective. If I'm looking at my ladies and they're like, I hate the gym. I just want to go in and get the best bang for buck. I would be choosing compound moves where you're using multiple joints. So for example, bicep curl is not a compound move, it's only moving one joint. So I would be picking squats. I would be picking dead lifts. I would be picking a pull move, so whether it's like a chin up, a lap pool down and assisted chin up, or the very of that and a push move so like a bench press push ups. Things like that. You can just not and smile, or you can say I completely disagree, or I agree, or they sound great.
Speaker 2: I would say most of the literature would be in support of that approach. You can't go wrong with that.
Speaker 1: Wonderful Well, look let's leave it there, but there's some of those moves ladies get Mastering that squat technique, mastering that deadlift technique, if you're even just starting there, that's a great place to go. Professor Belinda, thank you so much for your time today, My pleasure. Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, well, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three p. Sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Dottyesmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more