Speaker 1: Hello, I'm torri Archbold. For two decades, I've nurtured the world's top performing retail brands and celebrities. Now I'm asking entrepreneurs, CEOs, and influencers to share their own secrets to success. They're highs, their lows, the game changing moments, and how they got to where they are today. It's a podcast equivalent of opening the best Little Black Book of Contacts Ever. If this resonates with you and you're ready to step outside of your comfort zone and into your power zone, I invite you to join my exclusive community via our website, Powerful dash Steps dot com. Welcome to the Powerful Stories podcast, where we bring you exclusive interviews with some of the most inspiring and influential people around the world today. I am delighted to welcome DeAndre Simmons, are a nowned businesswoman and star of the Housewives of Dallas. She's joining us to share her incredible journey, her experiences and insights that will make you want to take your own powerful steps in business and life. So DeAndre, are placing yourself outside of your comfort zone and can be tough as a female, lada, a wife, a step mom. What has been your most challenging yet rewarding time in this lifetime.
Speaker 2: There's so many and we were chatting before Torri, let's see. I definitely think that being a step mom was a difficult segue for me because I wasn't a parent and my own right and my husband came along with two boys, and even though they lived in South Carolina, they lived with us. Actually they just moved out about in December. They lived with us for a year and a half. And if Housewives was continuing on, that would have been another part of our story. The first year I was on Housewives, I was not. I was kind of like this with my step my step son Keaton, but we worked things out because I'm a very ambitious person and trying to instill that into someone else's children. I was trying to do what I thought was the best thing for them. However, that may not be their path, and I had to learn to let go and not try to force it because they have to come to their own decisions about what their path is. My path overachieving and success may not be theirs. They may just be happy with the status quo, but that's okay. I have to be okay with them being okay. With what their choice is. So that was hard. Of course you're going to ask me, I mean, pausewise, what was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life? That was a crazy ride. And it's it's not over yet, so we'll see what happens. We're just on hiatus and all the other goals. I think think it's over, but I've heard from network executives that it's it's not over, so we'll see. I think they were looking at Miami and kind of seeing where they were and what they were going to do with that show, and they brought it back to network. But that was probably the most difficult I'm trying to think and rough time in my life because I wasn't used to the persecution online and I always want everybody to like me, and being an actress, you want people to like you, and you're told no all the time, rejection, rejection, rejection, and you have to get used to it. But then this is such an invasive way of people seeing your life because it's reality TV, so they think they know you and you signed up for it, so you're you're guilty because you signed up to be on this TV show and they can do whatever and ask anything and say anything about you. It doesn't matter. There's no holes barred. That was difficult for me because I would, no matter how much I dislike someone, I would never go on to a social media channel and say that because it's just not in my character and my personality. Also, there is something most people don't know about me, is that I'm a survivor of domestic violence. And when I told that story to the Salvation Army Women's luncheon in Dallas, my mother was mortified. I did it because I thought it was really important for people to know that women like me can have that situation and can overcome and become empowered through something like that, because you learn a lot of lessons about who you are and how to not repeat those mistakes. And telling that story was the hardest thing I ever probably did personally in my life. But there were so many women that you would be shocked if I told you the names that came forward and said thank you so much, and they were crying, and I knew they were in the same situation or have been in the same situation. So even though it wasn't my parents and like me doing it, I did it, and it was good for me.
Speaker 1: You know what, I can relate to that because I think that, on one hand, you and I are very similar because you have this success, You've built these companies, You're an entrepreneur. I've also blended my family. I have a step son, I have an eighteen year old daughter. But before I met my husband, we had a success in survival story as well. And I always felt that if I came forward and spoke about what happened behind closed doors, I was going to be judged, people would walk away, it would affect my business, and we were approached by Marie Clare magazine to tell the story. It took me four months to make that decision. Wow, And when I went to print, it was actually after we'd had Drew Barrymore launching Flower Beauty in Australia. And I waited until she left because I didn't want to take the spotlight of what we were doing for her. But I also knew that it was going to be one of those breakthrough moments where I was literally stripped bare and excuse my French, but what the fuck were people going to I was so scared and it wasn't just my story, it was my family's story. But what I noticed him stepping forward. Was that the most incredible people stepped forward as well. And by actually breaking down those barriers and standing in your truth, it's incredibly empowering. How hard was it for you to make the decision to step forward and actually stand in your truth?
Speaker 2: Well, of course I had to tell my husband first, and it was it okay if I told the story and would he be supportive? And my husband's very supportive, so he said, you have to do what's right for you, and if you can help other people, other women, then you definitely need to tell the story. My mother said, that's a bad idea because you've got to look at my mother generation, she's eighty two, my grandmother, they were all people that read an Lander's column, and Landers says, don't air your dirty laundry, so don't tell about you know, don't take out the trash, don't tell about what's happened in your life. My mother, I think it was the most difficult with my mother and my aunt. My mother is the only living relative really, my stepmother and I don't really speak, and my step brother. Unfortunately, that's a very difficult thing in my life because my biological father committed suicide, and it caused cavalcade of issues afterwards with the family, inheritance and things of that nature. And that's a big regret too, because I did my best and I tried to split everything evenly, but that's not what they wanted. And so you know, I'm always trying to be fair, so that was hard, but it was hard for my family. I'll be honesty. Back to your the very core of your question is it was hard to talk to my mother about it and have her sit there in the audience, and I'm sure she was a little bit embarrassed and ashamed that it had happened to me and that I was telling the story. So it's just a different generation. But then you think, okay, fast forward to housewives. I went on housewives. On Housewives, it's a reality show, so that prepped me for let's talk about what's really happening. I could care less if we are having an issue with my companies, which we did financially. Otherwise, all these women were trying to embarrass me by saying I was poor, I was this, I was that. Okay, fine, you can try to embarrass me, but I've been through so much more as a woman. This is nothing. I can overcome that. And it also allowed me to be feel free to speak about anything and everything that was actually happening, because I'm not embarrassed because so many people come back and they say thank you. There was one time, I don't know if you if you ever saw the show or not, that one of the girls tried to talk about my past when I was in my twenties and I was an actress in Hollywood and just like anybody in the nineteen eighties and nineties, got involved with the wrong crowd and I did go to a rehab program. Well, I was twenty seven years old at the time. She mentioned it on the show in front of Andy Cohen at the reunion. Had nothing to do with the show, nothing to do with the show, was just she was trying to retaliate. She thought I would lie, and Andy said, is that true? I said, yes, Andy, it's true. I said I was twenty seven, I'm fifty one. Does it matter at this point? And I said, next question, please, And that was it. And then people from all over the country and all of the world were saying, thank you for being honest. What did happened? Tell me about your story and the fact that you actually stood up to these women and said, yeah, that happened to me, and let's move on instead of trying to hide it. So I don't hide anything about my life. That's my mother says, it's I'm My husband says I'm an overshare, and so does my mother. But that's my generuption.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I love about Indianda. I love the fact that you're like, I'm owning my truth. Yes, and I've got happiness in my heart and that's all that maddens. And I honestly think that when you anchor a remove to your you know your truth, your values, to your intent and your purpose, you can actually create and deliver a bigger impact. And I've never understood on those shows, why are the women want to drag others down rather than being there to actually lift others up and show other women how they can be empowered to live their best life.
Speaker 2: What your past is? Your past? Who gets well? I think the genesis of the show is a little bit they want that drama and they want those kind of things. I don't know the last season when we had my friend tiffany on and there was all this in our country, I'm sure in Australia too, a mention of racial tensions that are happening the last five years, and so I really tried to handle that in a I would say the best way I could, above board and just say you know, I didn't know. I would love to learn some lessons. I should have had maybe a luncheon or a dinner and had Tiffany explain to us how when she came to this country what it was like, and then we could have had understanding. That's my mistake and I owned it, but everyone else wanted to fight about it, and that's not a fight that's not across you want to die on. So it's better to learn learn something from the situation. I learned a lot from how I handled it, and I thought I handled it well at the time. I couldn't handled it better. So there are times where you can uplift and there are times when they they they're really going to make you downship no matter what, because that's what they want. They want the fights, they want the silicious material. Let's face it, they want the clickbait.
Speaker 1: So Sydney Housewives they ran it and they couldn't get syndication anywhere in the world because it was known as the bitchiest season globally, and.
Speaker 2: It's taken them what's wrong with that? Didn't they like that?
Speaker 1: It was awful? Like it was awful, it was toxic, it was just it just was not a good reflection of women. And so they've taken a lot of time to actually select the next women so that it actually is more empowering versus taking people down a funnel that they don't want to go.
Speaker 2: I wish they would do that, honestly, I wish they would have Ours was a little campy. I was the oldest person on the show. It was a little campy, which is kind of more fun. But still I do believe that you can be inquisitive and interesting and comedic and not necessarily have to get in the dirt. So when I was thrown in the dirt about my business and I handled it, the other girl that did that to me, I wanted head and said, well, what about your relationship? Because she was hiding all this stuff and then off the cup, I called her pr person. I said it'd be better for her to tell the truth because every woman in America is going to really have this experience of someone cheating on them or being unfaithful or having what I had domestic violence? So why not go with the truth. It's much more interesting than this fairy tale story. That's a bunch of bs and everybody knows it. So, yeah, that's what I would have done. That was why dear Simmis would have held it, but she didn't. Yeah, it's like standing your truth.
Speaker 1: Now I want to switch speeds because you are a successful entrepreneur. You've had success in survival in your businesses. You've got two one's called hard Night Good Morning skincare, and you've also got a supplement company which boosts your immune system, which I love this stuff. Right, How do you turn up with so many different masks on?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Yes, stepmom, wife, entrepreneur, actress, housewife. How do you do it? What drives you but also what keeps you saying?
Speaker 2: So I was it's funny that you said that, because today I was on the way home and now I'm a chef. I don't know if you knew that or not. Fun So I finished. I finished my executive culinary school program, and immediately as I was driving away from the center, I got a text about opening a restaurant from a very prominent restaurant developer in Dallas, and I'm like, what is going on? So now I think I'm in the restaurant business too. So at three in the morning and I was on the way home today, I was texting him about an idea I had for the restaurant, and I had twelve other things I was doing at the same time. But I'm the best one. I'm the busiest. So with a skincare hat. Before I was talking to him the restaurant tour, I was on the phone with my CEO talking about the skincare line and our meetings that we're having with Nemon's and with a couple other spas and things like that, and where are they and have you talked to the person today? Also we're talking to Central Market again about my nutrition supplements. We had this skincare of it really doesn't fit there, but the nutrition does. So and then so I was getting all the run down because I'm leaving town. And then I have Simply Simmons, which has also the food products that we're coming out with, which are going to be rubs and spices and sauces and different fried pies and things like that. And then we also have a perfume launch and it's called U Dutay and I own that as well. I own about ten trademarks. I own everything that I can think of. As soon as I think about it, I just buy it. So I do. I think it's more fun to have to wear a lot of different hats. I'm sure my COEO who is COO of Ultimate Living Nutrition Supplements, which my mother started because she's a cancer survivor, and our most important product in that line is the green Foods powder that she created. She was the first woman to create a green food powder. And then in my other line is Hard Night Good Morning Skincare because I had her skincare line before, and so we're in that kind of offshooting. We also make essential oils. We're doing a line of perfumes next. So I think she probably is telling me she wants She doesn't say slow down, but I just said, I want to kind of be a Martha Stuart without the crafsy stuff. I'm not crafsy. I'm domestic, but I'm not crassy.
Speaker 1: Your mom is telling you to slow down, or the COO colo says slow down because I've got too much on my plate a little at times, so yeah. I'm like, how do you manage this is a coo across all businesses?
Speaker 2: She is, she is.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, okay, so you got one direct client of contact. So when you wake up in the morning, what do you do to ground yourself? So, for me, in the morning, like I got this Buddhist monk years ago who was like, slow down, otherwise there is no life. And he told me I needed to learn how to meditate. And I said, I've got no time to meditate. I'm busy, I'm running a business, I'm a single mom, I'm traveling all over the world. And he goes, I don't want to hear the bullshit. And he told me that I could meditate in the shower every morning because it was the only place that I was on my own right. Every morning, I get like three drops of lavender oil, I put on my decolage and I inhalexcel and it grounds me and I'm able to navigate my day. And then before I go to bed at night, I repeat it but with gratitude. So this is like how I ground myself. Well, I juggle my life right, but it brings me into alignment. Yeah, so what's your ritual? Like how do you get up, How do you start your day? How do you set yourself up for success?
Speaker 2: I hate to start my day. I'm a horrible morning person. I don't talk to me before my coffee. Yeah, that's after my shower. I'm a very good person in the morning. I don't like to do interviews before eleven am. That horrible. So when we're doing press tour and we had to be up at four or five in the morning, and for you know, I was just like, oh God, because I start having all these inspirational ideas at three in the morning, and I get up, turn my light on and write them down. Because my husband sleeps with like a canopy over his head so he can do his little TV watching, which I don't do any tea or anything. And then I can make my notes. But I do so I have about twenty meditation apps to answer your question that sit on my phone and I pay for and I'm always going to do it, always going to do it. And then I don't make time. The only time I take for me, so to speak. So I get up, I have my coffee, I kind of look at the stock market, which I used to be a stockbroker, so I trade some of my own accounts. So I look at the stock market, see if I'm doing having a good day or bad day, if I should even look back. So and then I do. Sometimes I'll read a devotional, Sometimes I'll do oracle card, sometimes I'll do little mantra. It depends. I try to do something. The benefit's small.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite mantra? Because mine is a happy heart is a magnet for miracles.
Speaker 2: Well, probably my favorite mantra is what my purpose I came up with for my life? Your purpose? So yeah, my purpose for my life, which I try to live by every day, is to live my life withuthenticity in order to inspire others. That's it beautiful. So if I wake up every morning and I have that written on a piece of paper, so then and it's also it's other places. But I came up with that because my husband just looked at me one day, gause, what's your purpose in life? And I was like, oh, And I wanted to get it down to one sentence because I didn't go through an exercise with a gentleman that was a pr person years ago, and he had me do this whole long exercise and I started with one hundred and fifty words and I had to get it down to six or five and it was the hardest thing I ever did. And then when my husband looked at me and said that, I thought, yeah, I really probably need to do that because I need to come up with one thing and stick to the one thing, because that makes it a lot easier when you're trying to live your life authentically. So inspiring other people and living authentically is my two things. And so that, I guess would be the closest thing. That's beautiful.
Speaker 1: And then you've got authenticity. Do you live and die by a value set as well? Because I'm assuming that authenticity is in that value set, So I break mine down into trades, passion, integrity.
Speaker 2: Okay, So mine would be if I look back, going back to the list of words I believe, and I don't have him here. It's been a couple of years, but dynamic was one of my words. Authentic was a word. Inspiration was a word. Oh curious, I'm very curious. My husbands me curious. George like the little book the Monkey ask twenty five thousand questions. He's like, shut up, stop asking questions. And there was one other word and not that may not even exist anymore because I can't think about it. But passion was all. I think Passion was in there as well. Dynamic passion, curious, authentic, and inspiring. Those are kind of the things that really drive me every day. And am I doing those things to help other people? So oh, compassionate. I believe it was compassionate. Compassionate And people think I'm not compassionate because of my personality that they see on the show, and I think that comes from being, like I said, a survivor domestic violence and not being real as touchy, feely and affectionate. My husband's very affectionate. I have to learn that process because of different things in my life. So it's not that I'm a hard, bitchy woman. It's just that I'm maybe not as soft as some of the other women in my delivery. It's in my heart, but my delivery. It all comes down to experience.
Speaker 1: But also I love the fact that you say that you're working on these and as women, I think as well, it's so hard to ask for help, you know, Like I know, my first business, I had it for two decades, end up at the top of my game, but I was afraid to ask for help because I was afraid of being judged. Right, how do you ask for help when you get stuck?
Speaker 2: Well, i'll give you an example, though. It's just right Aproposta right now in my life. So I when I was looking at this culinary world, and I love to cook, and I always cooked on Housewives on purpose. Every season I did a show that was a cooking show because I wanted to translate into a cooking personality. And I'm a decent coker that I went to the culinary school program. So when I left Housewives, Okay, there's so many women on TV. But where is there a darth of women? Where there's not a lot? And I looked around, I thought, m barbecue. There's not a lot of barbecue women, and they don't look like me. So there's a few, but not a lot. And so let's see if I can get into the barbecue world. So I shoved my way and broke down the door and just started asking people to teach me. And why would they teach me their secrets? Why would they be interested? And they all said yes. So I had to have the courage to go to them and have them. I figured they would all laugh at me because I was a housewife, make fun of me and think this is ridiculous. This woman doesn't want to learn how to barbecue. Why would we do this? Why we waste our time? But I became friends with them and then I asked and they they all said yes. That one person that said no to me.
Speaker 1: So I've got a question about these So for anyone listening to these podcast, Tianja, what you're saying is, don't be afraid to ask for help. People are gonna say yes. And mimall showy is is if they say no, there's away someone else.
Speaker 2: If they say no, it's no right now and maybe not, maybe it's not a know forever, and you're right, there's always someone else. Go to the next person. Don't even waste your time. Just go to the next person because the next person will say yes, or the next person, and don't be discouraged.
Speaker 1: And you've really stepped into your passion and you're not afraid at any age to try something new. For those people listening that have been sitting on a big dream and they're really scared about stepping out of the hot mess that they might find themselves in now to actually step into something which is purposeful, that's going to light them up, that's going to give them that happy heart. How do you recommend stepping into that moment in time?
Speaker 2: The first thing is you just have to take that leap of faith, and you have to get yourself to where you have to believe in yourself first and have the value and the self worth that you need to be able to do that. And a lot of people if everything starts at home, and when I say it starts at home, it starts within ourselves. So we have to have the light inside of our heart in our lives before we can go out and show it to other people and express our desires. And I always think that if if I'm living and I'm true to myself, if you're true to yourself, it's really hard to go wrong. When you start fearing and doing things that other people tell you you should do instead of what you want to do, that's when it all goes to pot. It's my dad, you say it's all going to pot, you know, and mean pot in a cattle, not like Pot's book. No, I mean it's just you know, it all goes wrong. So just stay true to yourself. But you have to step out and you have to take the first you have to take the first step, the baby step of trying. And if you don't know how to do that, ask people or go online. There's lots of inspirational people that can teach you that. You can go on YouTube and get lots of free things and watch these people that are successful. You don't have to pay for everything, and or read a book about it, and I do my research and then like with the barbecue thing, I did my research, I found the people. I went to the barbecue fest and I just started saying, I'm Deander Simmons, I'm a real housewife. Don't like I really want to learn barbacue. I just love that.
Speaker 1: I absolutely love it because it's like, this is what I'm doing, I'm stepping into it, and this is what's happening. How do you know to trust your intuition? Oh, that's very How do you trust it? Like, how do you trust Obviously you use oracle cards. I love oracle cards as well. How do you trust yourself when you receive a message?
Speaker 2: I think that's something that we can all contend. That's a lifelong process. And in fact, I was just thinking about this the other day because I was thinking, you know, my intuition is pretty I'm a Pisce's son, so my intuition is pretty good. But sometimes it's not so great, depending on where the planets are and all those kind of things. But normally, in my gut, it's my first instinct, that's the right instinct when and I'll still. I'll tell you a little example. When I was in school, I think I was in like third grade or something, and we had to do a little project and they said pick a number from one to ninety seven, and I had thirty six my head. I didn't go with thirty six because I was like, oh, it can't be thirty six. It was thirty six and I would have won a prize. So just that was my first lesson as to, okay, I need to trust my intuition because it's normally right. If I have a bad feeling about someone in my gut, it's normally right. So that I think you just have to listen, be still, so a couple different things. Be still, meditation. When you're still, you hear and learn and get downloads. In the Bible it says be still, know that I'm God. That's one of my favorite verses. So when I'm still is when I'm getting my best information and I can get a download on something i'm confused about beautiful and if I go against it, if I go against it, then it's probably not. It's tough.
Speaker 1: I do that every morning, that shower, Rachel, is when I get my beautiful downloads and I trust that wholeheartedly, which is, you know, it's such a beautiful way to live is in flow and alignment. So for those people that are really struggling with trusting themselves, what do they do?
Speaker 2: What do they do?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Goodness, Well, I've had I'll be honest with you. I've had years of therapy. I mean, and I'm still going to therapy and it helps me just having somebody to talk to about not feeling worthy. You got to think about how unworthy I felt as a woman that was abused. So that's a big step from somebody in that situation to where I am today and feeling like I can do anything. I'm empowered to do anything. Nobody's going to hurt me, nobody's gonna touch me, nobody's going to make me feel fat, ugly, not good enough, not successful enough. I mean, that's those are the things I struggled with, and I think as an actor. As a child, I struggled with that because my family wasn't really into me doing that, and then I didn't look the part when I was trying out in my teens and my twenties because that was when there there were no curby women and acting back then. So I just, you know, I just, I mean, it's it's very difficult, but there's just so many tools that are available now to educate yourself and find a woman that you are inspired or empowered by reach out. You will never know a lot of these people. People reach out to me a lot, and I do take the time if I can to, I'll reach back out. And if it's not me reaching out, then I'll say, somebody will send me the message and then I will do my best to do something for that person to help them or to give them a negative information or inspiration or this is what I did, or this is how I overcame that. I know what the struggle is like and I've overcome it. I don't know if I've helped by answering the question the way I did, because there's not one thing. It's a life. Everything is a process. For me, it's everyday process. There's some days I don't feel worried about myself. That's just life.
Speaker 1: And I love what you've also said about paying for the stories and asking other women because I found when I was at a crossroad, listening and tapping into the power of what other people had experienced helped me step into my power. Because there's something in this story that you can always relate to that triggers you going, I can take that step forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So like, look, for instance, your podcast, Okay, I hope if somebody's just listening to it for the first time today, go back and listen to the other episodes, because you have inspiring women, empowered women every single time. I don't know all of their stories, but I'm sure one story will resonate with another woman that doesn't resonate today with a woman. So that's how you do your research. If you're not willing to work on yourself, then you shouldn't get the reward.
Speaker 1: Absolutely right, Absolutely right, Deander, What is your next powerful step?
Speaker 2: My next powerful step is deciding whether or not I want to be a restaurant tour Do you do?
Speaker 1: I'm coming to America so that I can eat and experience all the goodness that you are creating. So I hope you make that happen.
Speaker 2: And I'm working on a play now. I can't really I'll tell you. I'll go back and tell you later. But it's a very it's a women's it was a women's it Calm in the nineties, and working with my acting coach on one of the lead roles, I'm very excited about it. So that'll be a fun thing for me to come up to do in the next probably a year, because a lot of these theaters are backed up due to the pandemic.
Speaker 1: Do you know what, I'd love to see a documentary on your life with a pay it forward with all of these experiences, because there are so many chapters that will inspire people because you've worn so many masks and you've stepped up and conquered each challenge. I think it would be incredibly inspiring for women to tap into the power of that.
Speaker 2: Well. I appreciate that. I always my husband has a podcast called Last Letters and as if tomorrow was your last day, what would your last letter be? And he always wants me to come on. I said, well, I don't have any I haven't done anything with my life yet, so you read so much. I said, I don't have anything interesting to talk about her in part, I don't think my life is that it's not inspiring enough. Yet he thinks I'm wrong. But I listen to these incredible stories and I think, how could I even compete with these people that are on Medal of Honor winners. I mean, people that have been shot, brought back to life, all kinds of I mean, you know, just celebrities. It's very it's scary to listen to it and think, what am I going to say? Do you know what? I think?
Speaker 1: The power of you is the fact that you show up and you share, thank you, and you pay.
Speaker 2: Forward your knowledge. I appreciate that. Thank you, sir, and that's a blessing. So thank you for joining us today. Thank you, Tory, Thank you.
Speaker 1: For being here with me today. I trust that you enjoyed listening to yet another powerful story. Sometimes we can forget just how incredible we are as women and how important it is to support each other. I'd love for you to take a moment to review the podcast and help support the show. You can also take a screenshot of this episode and share it across your social media be sure to tag me so that I can give you a shout out too. I'm a true believer of women supporting women, and I look forward to connecting with you again soon. Much love, Tory,