Speaker 1: I get a team.
Speaker 2: It's Kraigathew Harp, Tiffany and Cookpatrick, James Bonello, the U Project.
Speaker 1: Every two weeks the three of us get together.
Speaker 2: We don't really, let's be honest, we don't get a lot done. I don't know what value this is to the world, but for some strange reasons, some of you like it. Some of you fucking love this episode. I do not know why, what the fuck is wrong with you? But anyway, here we are. We'll start with the one at the bottom of my screen, Tiffany Cook, the giggling, fucking boxer pugilist, Hi.
Speaker 3: Cook, bottom of your screen, and the top of your Christmas list?
Speaker 1: Oh right, really not really, no, no.
Speaker 3: Not the present for you? The presents are you going to buy?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm not Yeah, I'm not that great at Christmas. When there's only you and Ron and Mary and they're one hundred and forty two and one hundred and forty three, respectively, Christmas is not a big extravaganza, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, true, true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And thanks for the nine hundred messages you sent me last night night.
Speaker 1: Patrick, She's trying to Hi. Patrick.
Speaker 4: My takeaway from all that is that I'm looking to get Christmas gift from you.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what I'll do, though, I'll give you a cuddle. I promise you I will come up this this. I promise you on air that I will come up and see your house and hang out with you.
Speaker 1: And that's you and your knew everything.
Speaker 2: So I yeah, Tip sent me some pictures of puppies last night that apparently I need to get one of.
Speaker 1: And then I'm like, you know, one or two. I'm like, yeah, they're cute.
Speaker 2: And then and then I stupidly asked how much are they? And then that was it. That was like, oh, he's getting one. So then there was an onslaught of like twenty text messages over the following our.
Speaker 4: Patrick. That's what though.
Speaker 3: I just told him this this morning. They were born on his birthday. Like if that's not meant to be, yeah, I don't know what is.
Speaker 1: Is that a sign from the puppy god?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the puppy gods have spoken loud and clear.
Speaker 4: Love knows no boundaries with a dog.
Speaker 1: That is true. That is true. Anyway, Good morning, Patrick, how are you?
Speaker 4: I'm great. I know that you really want to get straight into the topics because we you know you were a little bit critical at the start, saying we talk shit. But because I want to say hello to a friend of mine, Kim and her dog Walter, I just thought I'll give a shout out because it's funny. We meet at the park walking our dogs and I go to tell her my latest news and she said, I've already heard it. She has, I know, since the podcast. So it's like, I feel like I have no conversation topics whatsoever because it's already known.
Speaker 2: That's the beauty of, you know, having a public forum. What kind of dog is Walter?
Speaker 4: Oh? I think he's a whippet. Yeah, you would, La, Tiff, You would absolutely love to have a doggie date with Kim and Walter because Walter is the fastest dog, and obviously you know what that's all about. It's amazing. Zoomies are the best fun ever.
Speaker 1: Is he like the opposite of your dog?
Speaker 4: Hey, my day deserved. He's got a beard in.
Speaker 2: Your Dog's like the philosopher of the canine world. All he needs is a fucking pipe and a comfy chair. That little motherfucker could run seminars.
Speaker 4: You know, he is so treat driven. I swear he would recite poetry for a treat?
Speaker 1: Really he probably would.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He jumps through, hoops, literally rolls over, does all the tricks you can get to do anything for a treat. It's a bit like me.
Speaker 1: I know what you roll over for.
Speaker 2: But that's another bloody thing that's not well.
Speaker 1: Patrick, tell us about it's tiff.
Speaker 2: Please take that out tape for God's sake, Ah fuck it.
Speaker 1: Leave it in.
Speaker 2: Patrick, tell us about wherever you want to go. I'm not even going to direct you today. So if you've never heard this show, folks, apologies, apologies. This is the we come under the banner of tech chat, and sometimes we even do that.
Speaker 4: Oh man, yeah, I imagine. Look, digital cameras have a really like they're really good. Now, if you get the top of the range iPhone or a Pixel or a Samsung, you can take pretty damn decent photographs with it. You know, it's it's pretty good. But wait for this. Imagine if you had three hundred phone cameras and you could take a photo so with all three hundred at once, how good would that be?
Speaker 2: Grego, I don't understand how what Okay, Well I'm just going to go with yeah, great match.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you want to expand on that or is that it.
Speaker 4: No, there's a new observatory that's opening in Chile and it's going to have the processing power. It's a massive observatory and it means the night sky will have phenomenal photographs taken of it as of next year, and they'll take about one thousand photos every night over ten years. This is just a short term project. It's just so kind of exciting because we're talking about discovering seventeen billion stars and twenty billion galaxies and effectively it's got the resolution, so the quality of the photographs is the equivalent of three hundred mobile phones.
Speaker 1: Well that is I'm not that excited about that.
Speaker 2: But if Brian Cox is listening, he'll be He'll be firming up around the front of his tidy whities heat he's oh God, have you ever seen Brian Cox? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I have seen him. I only understood about half of what he said.
Speaker 1: Like, have you you right, Tiff?
Speaker 4: I saw him.
Speaker 2: I went and saw him live in Brisbane with my friend doctor Alex. So I was watching one of the smartest people in the world talk while living sitting next to maybe the smartest person I know the neurosurgeon, and it's fair to say that I was, like you, Tiff, I needed to him to interpret a little bit me and the cosmos and the universe. And it doesn't really blow my mind, like the way I'm more interested in humans. But but it is. It is fascinating.
Speaker 4: But you delve into the cosmos that's inside a person's skull.
Speaker 1: Oh, I like that.
Speaker 2: The inner cosmos, the inner world. Wow, that's true. That could be the name of my next book, the Inner Cosmos. There you go, take that out, Jiff, take that out.
Speaker 4: He uses that. I'm going to be so annoyed.
Speaker 1: The inner cosmos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, stood, he going, how's all that research going? Are you getting close to the end or something?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I am, I am, I am, I am.
Speaker 2: I don't sound I'm not excited, but I'm excited, but I'm not excited.
Speaker 3: So last night I said an answer or a positive affirmation.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't want to bore people with it, right, but yeah, I'm getting close to the end. So all the all of research that I need to do has been done or the data has been collected, all the academic milestones. Standing in front of the board, which is four of them and presenting research and kind of justifying your place in the program, and all that's been done and ticked off, and so now I have to have to write a minimum of two, preferably three papers, which I'm writing two of them as we speak, and also an eighty thousand worth thesis. But my biggest, my biggest paper is called a systematic literature review looking at meta accuracy and metaperception.
Speaker 1: I don't want to bore you anymore, but.
Speaker 2: It's just it's like a PhD is infinitely harder than my job.
Speaker 4: Like, how's your new research study going? You're what? I fell asleep?
Speaker 1: Ah?
Speaker 4: Fuck?
Speaker 2: I hell see, This is why I don't talk about it. I don't even blame you for falling asleep. Sometimes I fall asleep and it's my own shit. It actually is really interesting.
Speaker 4: I've got to say medical.
Speaker 1: Isn't it. Look at him try and fucking redeem himself now, Tiff.
Speaker 4: But if I could get away with a cheap shot, I always will. You know, I love you, keep going? But how much time? No, seriously, I really did want to know how much longer you've got to do? You don't hours? Minutes?
Speaker 2: Like okay, so we're recording this November one. I hope to hand in all of my stuff in about four months, like hand it or goddah. And then but in order for me to get my PHDW, I need to have have had one paper published at least.
Speaker 1: So even if I finish everything and submit everything.
Speaker 2: But even when you submit a paper, they don't go yet, well done and we'll publish it. It can take months for them to even look at it. In fact, it generally does, and then often the answer will be no, we're not publishing it, or the answer might be.
Speaker 1: Maybe, but you need to review this stuff.
Speaker 4: So annoying is that Japanese scientist who's been releasing like a thousand papers a year and publishing. Did you heard about that, didn't you? The guy who found who has found out to be using like chap GPT and right publishing.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean to get a paper published.
Speaker 2: It's I don't know that that story, but I know the process of getting a paper published by what's called a tier one journal, science journal. There's that that what thousand.
Speaker 1: Papers a year?
Speaker 2: It couldn't happen like it's it's knowing the process, it's it's I mean, that's three papers a day. Yeah, you know, like to write one good paper is months of work. So if he is doing a thousand a year, then they quite likes somebody who is a like a world renound researcher and scientist and somebody who's a leader in their field.
Speaker 1: They might have a couple of hundred papers published.
Speaker 4: Well, this guy published two hundred and nineteen scientific papers, and one hundred and eighty three have now been retracted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm really excited but also quite frustrated in some ways by the new Bluebird satellites. This sounds exciting because it means that potentially, so this Texas based company is unfurling the biggest satellite ever. Like it's massive. It's sixty five square meters, is how wild thing is. It's going to be one of the brightest objects in the night sky, which is a bit of a shame for that talism it's trying to take pictures of the night sky because all that shit's going to get in the way. So the good thing, though, is that there's a lot now a lot more low earth orbit satellites that are going to mean that we can use normal telephones, not satellite phones, normal phones to potentially send text messages, make emergency calls, all that sort of stuff. And as somebody who lives in a rural area driving through the country or have so many black spots and now three G being turned off right across Australia, there's going to be a lot more people who potentially may not have phone access. So if you break down then you could be potentially in trouble if it's on a far back road that doesn't have a lot of traffic. So it's great that there's now going to be a lot more of these satellites able to connect us using normal phones. So in the past the satellite phone, you know, I ridium satellite phone, which would cost a fortune, but now it looks like more of us will be able to get access using just everyday phones. And in fact, sorry I was going to say, is there a lot of areas in Australia that don't have.
Speaker 1: Coverage that like, I don't know.
Speaker 4: What I would have thought. These go on like minutes five minutes I drive down the highway towards Ballarat. In the first five minutes I lose phone coverage. Really, yes, yeah, for how long? I don't know, maybe another five minutes so potentially that's a few k's if I'm going at one hundred and ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at my small humble shack on the peninsula. And I mean that literally everyone, I'm not being it's got there's no internet, there's no and no, well there's internet, there's no phone service.
Speaker 1: I have to get out of the house.
Speaker 2: And walk up the top of the block, which is uphill to get one bar.
Speaker 1: Don't even start.
Speaker 2: Don't even start and back to Brian Cox laughing like a fucking four year old.
Speaker 4: No, that's right. It's great that you know. It doesn't take long for you to get one bar.
Speaker 2: Fu.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So starlink is the other one. So there's the other option at the moment for getting access. And this is kind of it. Can you do a lot of plane travel, like you fly around a lot?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 4: Space has now teamed up with Boeing and they did their first ever Boeing Triple seven flight where they had full data on the plane, so you could use your phone and have full data access. They're talking about making it free and this is no hard in London, so someone who but that would be good for productivity for streaming Netflix or whatever. It happens that you're doing at the time. But that's kind of good if you're flying around that you can get unlimited access.
Speaker 2: I wonder if that you would think that within a period of time that would be normal where all kind of you know, you'll have internet anywhere. This is an irrelevant question. Well, it's kind of in the ballpark. You know how when you get on a plane, you've got to turn your phone off, right because it could interfere with your electronics or something. Allegedly, what's meant to be I don't know if you know this, but what's the alleged reason for that?
Speaker 4: I think I actually asked someone smart me about this, which means I could ask a lot of people, but I have someone about this. And it's not so much one phone being on. It's if a whole lot of phones were on, is my understanding. So if everybody had their phones on at the same time, that's where it potentially might cause problems. But I don't know that one single phone is going to make any difference at all.
Speaker 2: It seems weird though, that if that if that was the case, where that could potentially cause a catastrophic problem, I wouldn't think you'd even be allowed to bring a phone on a plane.
Speaker 4: Exactly the other. It just occurred to me though. Maybe you know when you're flying or flying when you go anywhere with your phone, your phone tries to connect to a cell phone tower. And one of the problems that's happening in big cities, So there are potentially you could be in the center of Melbourne has total coverage, but you may not be able to make a phone call because the particular cell tower that you're linked to might have requests at the same time. So each micro cell tower, because in lots of big cities they have little micro cells and they may only have a capacity. We'll say, I'm just randomly saying one hundred phone connections at any given time, So if you happen to be one hundred and one, you might not be able to make a phone call. So if the technology, in terms of what's happening whilst you're flying in your phone's making signal requests constantly trying to link up to say satellites or ground stations or whatever it happens to be, maybe that's what the problem is too. I don't know, I'm theorizing.
Speaker 1: It could be. Now I've heard that you're getting rid of all your movie discs?
Speaker 4: What is so?
Speaker 2: Does that mean all your DVDs and Blu ray and what is that about? Why are you doing that?
Speaker 4: I have a whole wall full of I think at last count, I had one thousand movies I purchased over many, many, many many years. And the thing is the reality of it is, y I can walk.
Speaker 2: I like how you used air quotes when you said purchased and then you winked at us.
Speaker 4: What I didn't do anything this sort of sep ha.
Speaker 2: No no, or Patrick, hey, everyone, Patrick purchased them.
Speaker 4: I did buy them. In fact, I don't even want to think about how much money on them over the years. But the reality of it is that, if you you know, the other day, I wanted to watch a movie on a streaming service and I thought, oh, crap, I haven't got my Blu Ray connected. Because I've set up a new stereo upstairs and a new TV set up and speakers and everything. I thought, I've got no way to play Blu Rays and I've got a thousand of them sitting in a bookshelf. I thought, well, yeah, it's a bit of a pain, but there's some really really good tech out there. Now they're called nash drives effectively, really big hard drives that will also retain the same quality of the DVD or Blu Ray because one of the things I've always liked. I don't know if you ever do this, TIF if you ever watch a Blu Ray and then you look at the director's cut or you look at interviews and all the other you know, you don't do it.
Speaker 2: Any ever doesn't even know what Blu Ray is. It's twenty years younger than you.
Speaker 4: Okay, at Craigo, have you ever done that? Am I the only person that looks at the extra features on tvds and Blue Ray?
Speaker 1: Yes, you are the only person in Australia.
Speaker 2: And by the way, why.
Speaker 1: The fuck do you have a thousand Blu Ray videos movies?
Speaker 4: Because I bought a lot of this before streaming. You know, why did your voice just go up nine octaves? Because I like rewatching movies. I have favorite movies. I just happened to have a thousand. I don't know for each.
Speaker 2: One of those cost you twenty bucks. Dude, that's a lot. That's a big investments.
Speaker 4: Thirty five Yeah, nearly, No, not necessarily. I did go through a three D phase where I love watching three D movies, and I had a three D TV and I had my three D glasses. Unfortunately, I was probably the person on the planet, so that kind of went out the door.
Speaker 1: But no, you're not eyed one of those as well. I had a real data projection TV.
Speaker 4: That they were giant. They were enormous. It was it's turned on its side.
Speaker 2: There was a fucking hyunda with a screen on it. It was just stupid. It was the biggest thing ever. But when you're wearing those dumb talk about throwing myself under the bus. But when you're wearing those dumb, very ineffective three D glasses, you needed to sit in a certain spot otherwise it was like you're on acid.
Speaker 4: It was like, can I defend three D just for a second here? I know I'm nerding out massively.
Speaker 2: Can I just say that you and I went to a movie to watch three D What was that called again?
Speaker 4: That was the second Avatar film? And you held my hand for most of it. No, that was pretty cool.
Speaker 5: Come on, you got to admit you do well. You do have nice hands, and you say hand right cox the a smart scientist.
Speaker 4: Yes, oh dear, I believe I've totally lost track of what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: No, we saw avat three D three D, so you're talking about you love your love affair with three D.
Speaker 4: Now, what's really exciting about three D is and particularly I'm glad you raised that because Avatar James Cameron, the director of the first Avatar and Second Avatar, he was really passionate. He is really passionate about three DS, so he developed three D cameras. So the way we see stereoscopically is we have two eyes, so if you look at something, you're getting two different perspectives, and that's what generates in your brain the three D depth perception. Because if you walk around with an eye patch on, you're more likely to bump into shit because you don't get depth perception. You need to reach your glass and you miss it. You know, not quite that bad, but so the reality of it is you need two eyes to see in full three D depth perception. So if you're watching a movie and it's been shot with a three D camera, then it's giving you true three D depth perception because it's got two lenses. But the way the movie industry kind of cheapened the whole process when the whole three D revolution began was they simulated three D, so they took a two D picture of Craig and they extracted you from the background and gave a bit of a three D effect and not unlike the crappy background you've got right now, you know, because when you turn your head half your head disappears. You know, when you're using a zoom filter and it looks like crap, and you know, the background keeps shifting and your eyes disappear and your microphone isn't visible. That's because you're using technology to fake the background. What It's true. Everyone's been stunned into silence as the call dropped out. But he's just chilling on his head.
Speaker 3: I've never seen.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to let you fucking hang in that. And you reckon, you reckon. My review of my PhD was bad. Yes, so you're not a fan of my my what do you call this virtual background?
Speaker 1: You're not a fan of that?
Speaker 4: No, I just I don't know. I know you've forced Tiff to blur out her background.
Speaker 2: I forced Tiff. Tiff did that and said, what do you think I went?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 2: I forced Tiff. Yeah, I put a gun to a head and said, blur your background. What do you two talk about before I get on the call?
Speaker 4: Recorded? You could always go back and have a listen.
Speaker 3: Won't be good for his self esteem, probably pricks some really harsh stuff on.
Speaker 2: Well, hasn't really changed, has it?
Speaker 1: Just because I'm me doesn't mean I don't have feelings. You know you too? That kid, the fat kid that didn't get picked, he's still there.
Speaker 3: So you just need to That's what I'm trying to get your to get yourself an emotional support dog.
Speaker 2: I just need friends that give me a bit of emotional support.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the right people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need a Labrador, not you two fucking chiwah words. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Anyway, So this Revolution Player one is the big hard drive in the sky. It's not really in the sky. It sits on your shelf, but you can digitize all of your movies and put them on there, and it's massive. I think that I was looking at the review on this thing, and I'm not kind of pushing any particular brand or anything like that, but it's it's it's pretty cool because they can fit like thousands of movies onto just the one device, and you can just kind of flick a switch and off it goes. So I just thought, I don't know. If you're looking to buy yourself a present for Christmas, and you like rewatching movies, but do you rewatch movies, Tiff? You do you have kind of favorites that you rewatch. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just watched Dirty Dancy.
Speaker 1: Every time I want to watch a movie, wow wow.
Speaker 2: And I've watched the Back to the Future trilogy about collectively fifty times, the three of them. That's okay, Well, Blu Ray was only around for about ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Why do you have so many?
Speaker 4: Well because I may have rebought some movies to get higher quality out of it, you know, like The Lord of the Rings. I think I bought the DVD version and then the Blu ray came out with extra scenes and all that sort of stuff. So I then rebought a few movies, you know, sci fi films that need the big cinelar experience.
Speaker 1: I don't understand it all. Why you're single. I don't get it.
Speaker 4: Single. I have a dog, exactly.
Speaker 2: Exactly tell me about if you would tell me about Boeing's laser weapon five killer, what laser weapon that can take down heavy drones?
Speaker 4: Don't you reckon? That's just fully on, full on, because I mean, I don't like talking about warfare much, but a laser I feel like I need to do air quotes for that, But a laser that can take out multiple drones because the thing is that the drones and their larger payloads, the bigger the drone, the harder it is to take them out of the sky. So yeah, they're talking about a portable and that this is portable too, So we're not talking about plugging it into the power grid on your three phase. We're talking to a laser that could be carried around and it can potentially take out drones as well at rapid fire stuff as well.
Speaker 2: So that just made me think about the potential. I don't even want to say this, but fuck it, I'll say it. It's like with the ever expanding and evolving capacity of drones, you know, obviously they're being used in warfare already, right, Imagine if some nefarious person wanted to do something to a civilian aeroplane, Like, how do they control for that?
Speaker 1: We like the Civil Aviation Authority.
Speaker 2: And like that's I mean, that's a horrible thought, but people do horrible shit, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Look, the thing is you can't even import a green or blue laser into the country, it would be picked up by customs. So importing certain types of lasers you can't unless you have very valid reasons for what you'd use it for. And look, you know it's illegal to actually point a laser pointer into the sky. You know, that's really dumb to do. People do try to do that in point them at planes. So that's why there are restrictions on what you can import into the country unless you've got valid reasons for, say, manufacturing that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Didn't I just ask you about drones and then you just spoke about lasers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because we were talking about lasers that shoot drones.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right.
Speaker 2: No, I was thinking, well, obviously there are there are there are drones equipped with missiles and you know, things that can blow shit up, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you could, I mean the larger drones. Well, in Australia we have restrictions on the purchasing and flying of drones. So if if you wanted to get a drone that had a payload capacity that could carry something, then there's pretty big restrictions. You have to have a license and be registered with KASSO, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, so right own I fly, for example, is less than two kilos in waits I could have say I had a bit of fun. I went out the Geelong the other day to fly my drone for a client that does as best as removal near the old Ford factory, and the client sent out the invitation to me to go and meet him, and the location was sexy Land, and of course, me being the childish person that I was, there's a giant chimney stack right next to it, so my opening shot was panning up this giant chimney to reveal sexy Land in the background. Sorry, that was really childish, but it was fun.
Speaker 1: Well hang on, why were you meeting him at sexy Land.
Speaker 4: No, because the building was owned by the sexy Land Company and they were they'd vacated so that the Asbestus roofing could be taken off and repurposed. A lot of those buildings along the dock area there in North Geelong have been amazingly changed. They had old mills and things, and now they've got vintage stores and cafes. I was super impressed. If you're looking for a day trip, go to Geelong and check out all these amazing old buildings that have been repurposed for interesting shopping and in sexy l Indevidently Geelong's has evolved.
Speaker 1: A lot in the last decade or so. It's a bit of a metropolis now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really nice place. I lived there for a while. When I first moved out of home, I went on, did you for those people who don't know Geelong? It's the second largest city in Victoria, following Melbourne. Pretty big plane. Yeah, well we have.
Speaker 2: We have listeners from all over the world who are gone, where the fuck is Geelong?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, well they probably know where Melbourne is. So it's a fair bed that an hour away from Melbourne along down the road. Yeah, yes, just down the road. And I've got cousins in Europe who think that Australia is too far to come to, but ask me every time when I'm going to be there next, because it's further for them to come here than it is for me to go there. As Astragans, we're so used to traveling for a shit ton of time, aren't we. You know, I when you're on a plane and you're flying to Europe or something and you think, oh man, we've been going for so long, I wonder how far we've gone and you haven't even crossed the country yet. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but but no, it's it's kind of look. I I think that all these new innovations with travel and hopeful, I mean, my big dream is that hypersonic travel will be happening soon. To buy hypersonic travel so you can get to like, you know, Melbourne to New York and I don't know, three or four hours, wouldn't they be?
Speaker 1: How far away?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's another one hypersonic there was.
Speaker 2: I was reading something the other day about another.
Speaker 1: What's above hypersonic?
Speaker 2: Is it where they get like into the out of the stratosphere?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I guess so they go kind of up, let the earth rotate underneath them and then yeah, I think it.
Speaker 2: Was like one hour from New York to London or something crazy that they're talking about testing flights next year.
Speaker 1: But yeah, supersonic would be what would that?
Speaker 2: What do you reckon that's going to reduce Melbourne to LA because Melbourne to LA now is like fourteen hours, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, supersonic is when you're just over the speed of sound. That was the like concord flu Supersonic hypothes next level up right, Yeah, what.
Speaker 2: A pity, that's that concord fucking hit the hit the wall metaphorically.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was. I saw that, and I didn't see it actually happened, but I was working in news and saw all the because it was it was video. You know, you saw it break apart. It was pretty pretty full long, wasn't it. Did you do you remember that? Craigo?
Speaker 2: I remember, and I remember that because I wanted to fly in the concord like that was one of the things that I wanted to do when I could afford it, and then not anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, could do you imagine?
Speaker 2: I mean, without boring everyone, but imagine this like something that's flying supersonically. Imagine how well engineered and built that thing needs to be, and imagine the immense pressure and stress on everything.
Speaker 4: Well that I always found it fascinating that the pilots couldn't see out the front of the plane when it was flying supersonic, So what.
Speaker 1: Were they just looking at screens and flying by.
Speaker 4: The nose used to come up, remember when it was parked, and those would drop down for landing, and then it would come up so that it was more streamlined. That was so cool.
Speaker 2: That's like me seeded versus running. My nose goes up when I start running.
Speaker 4: You knows, Okay, Brian, all right, keep going.
Speaker 2: Tell us about how looking at our dog can connect our brain with theirs, because this feels like a you and Tiff subject.
Speaker 4: It kind of is, I suppose, so when we have a conversation, So if you and I have a conversation, you start to visualize. So I talked about sexy land and a giant chimney, and that connects our brains. And what science has realized and you probably know a little bit about this, our brains become in sync because there are different processing parts of our brains, say for linguistics, thought, concept, imagination. So we can get into sync with human beings. And it was thought that we couldn't do this with animals. Now it's believed we can with dogs. And when we talked to a dog and we look them in the eye, they've used magnetic imaging and so they've scanned the brain of a human scanned the brain of a dog, and they realize that we can connect on a level where our brains can be firing in a similar way. And pet owners that are in sync literally with their dogs can synchronize their brain activity at the same time. And I thought that was really interesting.
Speaker 1: I have so many questions about that. How does that, what's the what's the consequence of that?
Speaker 2: Like, what do we see when these too, this human and canine brain are in sync.
Speaker 1: What happens?
Speaker 4: Well, I guess it brings the connection between the human and the dog on a deeper level. I mean, this was researched in China, so it's called neural coupling. Okay, So what's exciting about this is it's never been observed within spec different species before. So the brain activity aligns during this interaction. Because for us we talk it through. We can have so many different ways to communicate, but with dogs, it's that eye contact and then trying to synchronize. So I mean in terms of it's good for you know, an encounter or a way that we interact with our pets as well, it takes it to a deeper level of connectedness. And if look, if if you've really loved a dog, or you kind of like walking a dog, and you like padding dogs and connecting with an animal because they do value add our lives so much. And I guess only people who've had dog, dogs or a cat can really conceptionalize what that means and implications for people as they get older and this, you know, they need company that've lost a partner. I think the notion that we can connect on that level scientifically is kind of fun. It's I mean, what the implications are. I mean for training, it's important. So if you're cleaning your dog, it may assist in you being able to kind of get on the same sink and level with the dog while you're doing that training. So it's kind of getting their focus on a more higher level and then being able to use that to be able to further train the dog. So what are the real implications. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I have a nice story for you. Sorry, Tiff, then you jump in. I have a nice story for you that you both love. So yesterday, because my algorithm is all thanks to Tiff and a few other people. My algorithms fucking dogs and or motorbikes and or bodybuilders and or science.
Speaker 1: It's not much else.
Speaker 2: So yesterday this video came up and it was this lady who she had this German shepherd that was like four or five years old.
Speaker 1: That was her puppy.
Speaker 2: And all, and it just all of a sudden, the dog started getting She could tell the dog was distressed, and the dog would come up and just push her nose between the ladies breasts, so just put her and she was she would whenever she would lie down, the dog would go up and just put her head on the chest and like push her. And she knew that something was wrong and she ignored it. And after about a week of this, she so she thought there was something wrong with the vet. Took the dog to the vet. Everything's fine, and then she went, maybe she's trying to tell me something. So she went, and you know what I'm going to say. So she went to the doctor and she had stage three lung cancer. And the dog could smell the cancer, and the dog knew something was wrong. And she got treated and is okay now. But if not for the dog, because she had no symptoms, she was asymptomatic. Isn't like, I don't know how the fuck works, But how how fucking amazing is that not only could the dog smell the cancer, but she knew the dog knew that it was bad like the dog. The dog was concerned and anxious. It wasn't just like ah, there's another smell. It's like, no, this is not a good smell. And as a result of the dog doing that, it literally saved her mum's life, or her owner's life, whatever you.
Speaker 1: Want to call it. So I thought that was fucking gorgeous.
Speaker 4: It's amazing. You sent me a video clip this week and I started crying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I told you, I cried.
Speaker 4: Why would you do that? My colleague looks a bit like Hagrid. He's like six foot four, big and hairy.
Speaker 1: And here a shout out to Hagrid.
Speaker 4: Yeah it, And here am I sniffling at my computer because you sent me a whole lot of dog clips of really beautiful dog omen.
Speaker 1: Oh that guy that I said, did I send that to you? Tiff? There's that guy.
Speaker 2: He's a is a vet, and he's just a beautiful man. He's just a beautiful human and he's like, I mean, like, I think some people be come vets because it's a good career and they're doing a good thing. And I would assume most vets somewhere between like and love animals, but some people that's like, no, animals are their purpose and it's like they just happen to become a vet because they want to look after animals when they're at the most vulnerable. And that guy, he's like the Mother Teresa or the bloody Dellai Lama of animals.
Speaker 1: He's a great guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was pretty good, you know. Getting back to this story. I was just thinking that one of the things that's been proven with animals and human behavior is people on the autism spectrum. So people are able to interact on a level that they may not necessarily be able to interact with humans, but they can get a real sense of connectedness and comfort from an animal. And that's the symbiosis. I mean, it's been what twenty thousand years or something. I don't know how long we've had domesticated dogs, but certainly they've been acting opanions and guardians and emotional support for such a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And isn't it amazing when you think that all dogs came from wolves and they look at you look at them now.
Speaker 1: You look at the fucking the massive cross section of fluffy white things just prancing down the Hampton Street like little fucking show ponies. And then and then.
Speaker 2: Saint Bernards and Rottwiler's And if I feel I cut you off before. Were you going to say something when I started telling my story about the vet when we.
Speaker 3: Were talking about the eye contact with the dogs. We did a practice of that on the Himalayas. I don't know if I told you Patrick where we did. I think that they called it transfiguration, if that's right. It was just five minutes sitting face to face with someone. We did it verse thirty five minutes in total, because there were seven of us just sitting and just staring into the eyes of the other person, and it was really really energetically profound, and you know, I don't know what's happening, but you connect and you go through all these different energy shifts and people ended up in tears and it was amazing.
Speaker 2: Did you find that easy to like looking at anything for thirty five minutes and focusing and being present what seemed to be not an easy task or do you kind of lose yourself in it?
Speaker 3: You lose It was very confronting to start with that. I've done the practice once before at another workshop, but it's I think the challenging part is the allowing yourself to be seen, and we did after the first couple we did facilitated ones where person A would energetically be the one holding space or holding the other person and the other person being held, and that was really challenging, especially when you look at male female dynamics and some just people's different experience with those different moments.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the.
Speaker 3: Being seen and the dropping of your guard and the stuff that we knew about the other person because of the conversations we've had before. So there's a lot in that.
Speaker 2: Wow, that would take courage, I think, I think for a lot of people, maybe me included. I'm not sure I have never done that. I would think that would be that's a brave thing to do. Imagine if you're sit and you look at someone and you just see fucking evil, You're like, I'm out, Well.
Speaker 4: You see it.
Speaker 1: You see a lot.
Speaker 3: And I remember at the first workshop I ever did at, which was MICHAELA. Bome. She was a guest I'd had on the show and she does embodiment and the whole range of stuff. But there were parts to that exercise where we would have to report to the other person with boundaries, with instructions about what we saw and so you and it was interesting what people complete strangers could feel or see in you. Amazing?
Speaker 1: How did you go with that?
Speaker 2: That would to me that that's interesting that you because you know, you've been quite protective and quite you know, like I always say that T shirt that says give me a hug and the cap that says fuck off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how how was that for you?
Speaker 3: Well, I could feel the embodiment of the practice of trust to let go and just go okay, I'm going to let you see me and I'm going to be okay with that, and I'll let you see whatever you see and not control it. It's you go really deep within yourself in a way that I don't think I would normally have had access to. So yeah, it was. It was confronting and what's the real.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that this is curiosity, not judgment. What's the reason, Like, what's what's the what's the consequence or potential benefit or outcome?
Speaker 3: I think both in site and connection right for that, like insight and connection and letting guards down. Like I said, when we did the practice this last time, we had the night before shared the deepest parts of our stories with the group, so we knew a lot as well. So it's then, yeah, I don't know for me, it was an act of trust and connection and letting go and being and not controlling and observing what comes up and accepting it.
Speaker 2: It's like a level of It's like a level of intimacy with a stranger, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Oh big time.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you one thing I probably didn't tell you after the trip. The morning after we'd shared our stories and then we'd come down and did mindful movements so similar to pilates or yoga, Patrick, your style of movement true, and towards the end of that, and this has happened twice to me before in yoga practices after a significant event. But we got towards the end and we were just like moving our spine or whatever, and out of absolutely nowhere. I got so overwhelmed with emotion that I just ended up lying there sobbing. And then after we left the class, everyone went for breakfast and I just went back to my room for a moment, had.
Speaker 1: A big cry.
Speaker 3: And then when I often had breakfast, but it was just this like, oh, there wasn't a thought associated with that. There's emotion in my body and I've let it come up and I don't know what it is, but cool.
Speaker 4: That's so profound.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is, isn't it? Well? Emotion.
Speaker 2: Emotion lives in your body, and sometimes your body knows what it needs more than you occupier.
Speaker 1: Isn't that interesting?
Speaker 3: Shift your You can move parts of your body and release it and it just comes up and there's actually no link to the thoughts in your mind. There's no conscious thought. I sought associated to it, Yes.
Speaker 4: Which in our bodies so much. And one of the little exercises I like to do when we do our beginning warm ups for our Tai Chiese session is just to do that little exercise of breathing in for four seconds, holding for four then letting go for four and I do that twice that I go six seconds, then eight seconds, and I can look at my pulse rate because I've got my phone, my watch, you know, tracking my heart rate, and I can see it drop. You know that slow breathing, focusing just on your breathing process can actually slow your heart rate right down. And I've observed maybe a five point drop. Now that seems like a lot to me. Crago five points for your heart rate to drop down and be in a state of relaxation.
Speaker 1: There's lots of research.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that kind of box breathing around, activating your parasympathetic nervous system without trying to sound like a geek, which is you know, the calm the farm. Yeah, I know I have white code hypoten you know what.
Speaker 4: That is, right?
Speaker 2: I haven't so yeah, and I'm somewhat better now.
Speaker 1: But my blood pressure would be fine.
Speaker 2: And this is embarrassing because it's a fear response and such a big fucking baby. And I'd go in and my blood pressure would be two million over a million.
Speaker 5: And they'd go, fucking hell, call the cops quick, you did, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I'd go, hang on, just give me a moment, and I just sort of and then it would be normal.
Speaker 1: They're like what. I go, Yeah, I'm a big baby.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go to the GP. And as soon as they put the cuff on me, they'll start the process. And halfway through, I think, oh, I'm holding my breath. Yes, yes, what the hell? I'm a rational person and yet that is so irrational to see yourself doing that. There was a study that I read, maybe it's a couple of years ago, and they talked about the fight or flight mechanism that we have, so when we get in to a tense situation, may be fearful, our breathing becomes more rapid. We start to breathe quickly. It's shallow breathing as well. There's none of that real depth of breathing. It's that, you know, that real panic kind of breathing. And what they did was they observed people watching horror films and they analyzed what their brain. They took their blood pressure and heart rate and all that sort of stuff, and what they got people to do was at the scariest parts of the movies, they got them to slow down their breathing. And what the research has found was that what your lungs are doing can overwrite your brains fight or flight. So the physiological slow breathing stopped the fear and stopped the fight or flight. So, despite what was on screen. So the next time you go to a horror film, not that I watch them personally, but slow, you're breathing down and you're less likely to be scared. Yeah, that you know.
Speaker 1: I've been talking about this a little bit lately.
Speaker 2: Around I started watching this series that somebody recommended to me called The Fall FA Double L The Fall Right, and it's about essentially about this mass murderer, this dark, twisted, sick fuck. I watched like two episodes and I realized when I was watching it it made me feel almost sick, and I am somewhat anxious, and I'm like, why am I watching this? This is so bad? But a bunch of people would reckon. And I'm not saying people shouldn't watch it. I'm just saying for me, I don't know that. Like I have this thing where I watch things and it's like I almost become intertwined with that thing for an hour or whatever. And I think that just just the way that we you know, we're so careful about what we put in our body in terms of food and drugs and booze and water, and we've got to be careful what we put in our mind because that shit has an impact.
Speaker 4: I totally. I find there's a new movie that's just come out. I'm not I don't even know what the name is, and I probably wouldn't mention it if I did, but they're saying it's so horrific that people who are going to it are throwing up, why the hell would you want to subject yourself to that? You know, this is the person who likes to play, you know, meditative music and stuff, and I kind of I've even drifted away from conventional TV and I've curated my YouTube channel to watch stuff that makes me feel positive and elated and interesting. So when you go to my channel, there's lots of short movies. I love watching really beautifully produced stuff. There's a really great channel called Dust, and there's amazing sci fi and you know producers out there, people making amazingly creative you know Cinema that's you know, three five, ten twenty minute movies that you can watch for free just by subscribing. YouTube's got so much great stuff on it, and I guess the choice to watch something moving or up lifting or a person who's a great passionate vet with dogs that he loves like you sent me the other day. You know, Yeah, it's a good cry. It's an affirmation of the fact that, you know, I came out of that Craygo thinking I love my dog so much. I think I talk about Fritz every episode, don't I. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a show. There's a show on the ABC. I think it is. I've watched it two weeks in a row. Accidentally. I got in bed last night, I just put on the telly and it so happened. So last night was Thursday night. It's called Long Lost Family.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And these people that were like the parents and the babies went different for what.
Speaker 1: A range of reasons.
Speaker 2: And then ah, I'm just snot and tears and emotions and tissues. Shit house, I'm like watching I watched it last night. It's it's I mean for me, but there's lots of crying. But to me it feels like because it's like happy tears. Yeah, but it is funny, isn't it. It's like crying can be like good or bad depending on the reason for the tears, I think.
Speaker 4: And that comes straight back to TIFF's story. You know that you didn't even know what it was, but it was that letting go that physiological response and crying is good. You know in Western certainly in Australia, blokes don't cry. I mean, how dumb is that?
Speaker 1: Well that's that's well, you and I cry, but we're not really our for male So let's be honest, Patrick, where can people find you and follow you and you know, just reach.
Speaker 4: Out, have a chat, a cuddle. The hugs cyber cuddle website that they can come over hugs. You should know that I'll give you a hug. Websites now dot do au. I do give good hugs and I've got to you can you can actually do some TIChE with me as well if you go to Taychi at home dot com dot au and you can see Fritz doing ty with me as well. Kind of by the way, just connect give us right mate.
Speaker 1: And if what if people want to give you a hug? Where where's that available?
Speaker 3: At hugsaras dot com, dot are you dot com, tifcook dot.
Speaker 2: Com, forward slash tifcook dot com. We'll say goodbye affair. But I'm not sure about that episode. I feel like I was the I was the weak link in that. So everyone, I apologize retrospectively for what you just heard
Speaker 4: Me too,