Speaker 1: From The Australian. This is the weekend edition of The Front. I'm Claire Harvey. All wars come with casualties, and of course the most confronting a human But today we're looking at a potentially different casualty of the war raging in the Middle East. Some of the world's most prized works of art Picasso's van Goh's Gogans now sheltered away in secret locations and underground bomb proof vaults. Plus what happens to the artists trying to live today in the midst of conflict and oppression. Joining me today is Tim Douglas, chief Culture correspondent for The Australian.
Speaker 2: The year is nineteen forty seven. A group of teenage Bedouin shepherds discover jars in a cave by the Dead Sea. They find seven scrolls.
Speaker 1: Tim, you've been reporting on an aspect of the conflict in the Middle East that I don't think many of us had thought about. What really stuck out for me is a mention in a headline of the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Speaker 2: These scrolls, the first of the Dead Sea Scrolls, weren't initially seen as valuable, but soon scientists and scholars recognized their significant worth.
Speaker 1: This is the most magical I suppose cultural artifact. I can think of these ancient Jewish texts that have been in climate controlled conditions in a museum in Jerusalem for the past few decades. What's happening to the Dead Sea scrolls?
Speaker 3: So on February twenty eight, when missiles began falling across the Middle East for the fourth time since the October seventh attacks, curators across the Middle East, and in Israel in particular, rush to the Israel Museum to secure these very important documents, nine hundred of them in total, most of them housed in that museum, and the most important of them is the Isaiah Scroll. Perhaps not the most important, but certainly the most well known. It's a seven meter long scroll that had just been put on exhibition, and the curators were forced to secure that very quickly as air sirens sounded around the city, as I understand, and moved to a secure location.
Speaker 1: The idea of a war breaking out is kind of a curator's worst n i'ma, isn't.
Speaker 3: It Yeah, And especially when there are artifacts in those collections that date back millennia, they are irreplaceable and people have every right to be worried about them.
Speaker 1: What about the rest of the Middle East? Of course, bombs and missiles are falling very heavily on Iran.
Speaker 3: What's happening there in Tehran is the UNESCO Heritage listed Galliston Pallace, one of one hundred and twenty sites in Iran protected by the Blue Shield, which was instituted in the nineteen fifty four Hague Convention for historical locations that require protection during wartime. This palace is very dear to the Iranian people.
Speaker 4: This palace has now reportedly sustained damage after a strike nearby. Reports also suggesting that the palace's windows, doors and mirrors were hit by reverberations from the blasts that occurred nearby.
Speaker 3: So this is its famous hall of mirrors was smashed and some of its famous mosaics also were smashed. But it's just one of many sites in Iran at the moment that are underfired. The governor of one of the particular cities that was hit a historic city, accused Israel and America of declaring war on cultural heritage.
Speaker 5: The news spread with the speed of the human shou Shah Ferrarisha day. The people cried the Shah has escaped. The only chance of death to the Shah was replaced today by a new one, death to Carter. There is still a strong sentiment against American interest in Iran.
Speaker 1: And the white Before the Iranian Revolution in nineteen seventy nine, Tehran was a center of learning and feminism and all sorts of things, although it be Shah's regime was very oppressive. What's been the situation with art in Iran since the revolution?
Speaker 3: I spoke to an artist in Sydney, Nassim Mesa about this art, as she told me, is something very dear to the Iranian people that have a culture of art that stretches back two and a half thousand years. Clearly, there are concerns about freedom of speech in that country, which has led people seem to flee to Australia, where she now has a flourishing art practice. But there are still artists on the ground making work. Whether those artists are making radical work that confronts the oppressive theocracy that prevails in that country is another matter. But certainly there is a deep connection to art. And of course one of the most interesting aspects of Iran is that it houses one of the world's most incredible and internationally lauded art collections at the Tehran Museum of Contemporary Art.
Speaker 1: It's not something I would have expected.
Speaker 3: It's not something you would have expected.
Speaker 1: Where's it all come from?
Speaker 3: During the nineteen seventies, the Shah's wife for Polavi embarked on a collecting spree. Perhaps she and married in nineteen fifty nine. Her main role was to provide an heir to the regime. She did that within a year of marrying the Shah, and then she embarked on a really interesting period of development in a raad. She focused on education. She helped found the p Lavi University. She also embarked on collecting contemporary artworks during the seventies. During that time, there was a depressed market in the art industry, and she took advantage of that around the same time that gofflm in this country did and looked to find some defining works for that collection. She bought Van Goff's Gogans, a huge collection of Picasso's, Donald Judd's andy Warhols. In fact, there's a famous Andy Warhole painting of her, and there's one of her husbands too. This collection, four thousand pieces strong, it's worth three billion dollars and it has for the last forty seven years been stored away in a secret vault we understand beneath the building.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not the sort of thing that the Mullers would be spending their weekends looking at, is it.
Speaker 3: It's not. Although last year they had a Caso exhibition. They pulled out sixty six pocassos from the vault and then put that on display. That was still being advertised on its website last week. The website is now shut down.
Speaker 1: Coming up. The most valuable artwork in the world is in the Middle East, But where is it? One of the differences with this round of conflict between Iran and Israel and the United States is that the Golf States have been drawn in those monarchies on the Persian Gulf coasts that are now being attacked by Iran because they host United States military assets. That's caused absolute fury among those states from Jordan to Qatar, although they haven't yet retaliated in any kind of military sense. What else is at risk on the Golf peninsula.
Speaker 3: Iran was ahead of the curve in terms of their collecting, but since the seventies and eighties. Most of those golf states have been cognizant of the fact that natural resources on those emirates and in that region are finite, and they've been looking to diversify their interests. Now most of them over the last thirty years have looked to art. Shajah was one of the first. Qatar actually had the first museum, and since that time Abu Dhabi, Jubai, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia have all got in on the act. Those countries also have announced their intention to become art market hubs, basically a real opportunity there for their GDPs their bottom lines as an art hub. Saudi Arabia has announced a multi billion dollar plan to basically become the world's biggest art hub by twenty thirty. Art fairs have begun to proliferate in the Middle East over the last twenty years. It's held some of the world's biggest art fairs, and this year in particular, two of the most high profile art fairs in the world announced the moving into that region too well.
Speaker 1: We announced yesterday the launch of Art Basil Qatar for us, for our local partners, but also for the international art world. Extraordinarily momentous news, I'd say our audience.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: Why that's interesting is because it signals a great shift in the art market, whose traditional home has been the US. Now those art markets are finding a home and finding buyers very lucrative prices. In fact, for the international art market in the Middle East.
Speaker 1: It's all part of the kind of modernization and dare I say westernization of those Gulf states. You know, they are moving away from the very strict religious observance that Iran has been famous for. There's much less overt control, theological control of people. Do you think they've been accepted by the kind of contemporary art makers, for example, who here in Australia are at the center of controversies about whether they're including Jewish artists in programs here.
Speaker 3: It's a really interesting question. I'm not sure it keeps many people in that world awake at night. I think it's about money, money talks, and I think the most interesting aspect of all that is Saudi Arabia. Last year they had a huge art fair and rider and that comes also after the Crown Prince bought the world's most expensive painting in the Salvador Monday, which has bought four hundred and fifty million dollars a couple of years ago and which has not been seen publicly since. So I think that idea says it all really about what they think about art. The world's most expensive painting has been bought and no one's seen it since.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a trope that great art comes from suffering. So I mean this conflict will produce creative works, won't it if people can stay safe. We'll see the legacy of this incoming years.
Speaker 3: I hope that there is something that we can look back at in forty to fifty years time and think, well, at least we preserve this out of the madness, there is hope in that ironic collection to which the regime in Iran is ideologically opposed that I think there's hope that something good or something fulsome might come out of this.
Speaker 1: Tim, thank you very much, Thanks Claire. Tim Douglas is The Australian's Chief Culture correspondent. This episode of the Front was hosted by me Claire Harvey and co produced with Jasper League. Thanks for joining us on the Front this week. Our team also includes Kristen Amiot, Leats Hammerglue, Tiffany Dimack and Joshua Burton,