Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Kristin Amiot. It's Friday, January twenty three, twenty twenty six. Crowds gathered at the Sydney Opera House on Thursday night to observe a day of mourning for the victims of the Bondai Beach terror attack. Prime Minister Anthony Albanesi, Liberal Leader Susan Lee and New South Wales Premier Chris Mins honored the fifteen people killed on December fourteenth.
Speaker 2: Tragically, we're gathered here tonight because on the fourteenth of December everything changed, and for that I am sorry.
Speaker 1: There was a huge security presence in and around the iconic landmark ahead of the event, including police snipers perched on the Opera House sales around the nation, Flags on state and federal government buildings were flown at half mast, while a moment of silence was observed at seven oh one pm. It was a stunning moment in an already dramatic week of politics. Just hours after a slew of National senators quit the shadow front bench, the coalition was done over, split again. Now Susan Lee's leadership is hanging by a thread. So what next for Australian Conservative politics. That's today's episode. You'd be hard pressed to find a more fitting metaphor. First the bombshell, but she has.
Speaker 3: Also forced the Coalition into an untenable position that can no longer continue.
Speaker 1: Then the alarm bells. The Senate wing evacuated as sirens blared and confusion swirled. This was the scene at Parliament House on Thursday morning, as politicians, staffers and journalists grappled with the news the coalition is no more.
Speaker 4: The Federal Coalition is in crisis.
Speaker 5: This afternoon, the national sensationally splitting from their Liberal colleagues for the second time in less than a year.
Speaker 1: I spoke with The Australians senior political reporter Sarah Eisen on Thursday afternoon. Sarah, take me behind the scenes at Parliament House right now, what kind of conversations are happening in the aftermath of Thursday's announcement the Nationals will leave the coalition for a second time.
Speaker 5: One of those strange moments where Parliament House itself is almost quiet because all of the politicians have left the building, and yet it's such a frenzy and flurry of activity outside.
Speaker 4: Of this place.
Speaker 5: This came as a shock, I can tell you to almost everyone. So it's actually caught people unawares and it's just real shock and people trying to get a handle on where to from here.
Speaker 1: According to Nationals leader David little Proud, Susan Lee's handling of the government's new hate speech legislation was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Speaker 4: This was a rush process.
Speaker 3: We are talking about national security matters with complex legislation, complex legislation that should be scrutinized and understood before we're forced to vote on it. That was the disappointing fact of it.
Speaker 1: On Wednesday night, Senators Bridget mackenzie, Susan McDonald and Ross Cadell crossed the floor to vote against the bill.
Speaker 4: Little Prowd said they were.
Speaker 1: Within their rights to do that because the amended legislation didn't go through the usual party room process before the vote, But mackenzie, McDonald and Cadell quit the shadow cabinet anyway, and Lee accepted their resignations within hours. Their National Party colleagues, including Little Prowd, followed the final nail in the coalition's coffin. What does this dramatic fracturing of the coalition should mean for Susan Lee's leadership here and now it.
Speaker 4: Does mean her leadership is under threat. Of course, those closest to her.
Speaker 5: And the moderates and those most supportive of Susan would say that giving in in this instance is essentially giving into blackmail from the Nationals and that also that isn't a good idea. Of course, they're the ones who are her biggest backers. Those who aren't they've said, of course her leadership is untenable. So it really is a moment of crisis. But it is in Susan Lee's hands.
Speaker 1: Susan Lee now has a choice wait for a leadership's bill or resign on her own terms and in her own time.
Speaker 5: It's very much agreed that the Liberal Party can't enter the next sitting fortnite with this still hanging over them. The view is it would have to be by then at the latest. There's a hope that it would be sorted out more like mid next week or by the end of next week, so you enter Parliament completely settled on who.
Speaker 4: Your leader is and what's going on.
Speaker 5: But it's very much something that needs to be resolved one way or another, and it very much looks like gas we resolved in one way within the next week and a half two weeks.
Speaker 1: Have any potential successes to Susan Lee emerged or is it a case of anything or any one is better than the status quo at this point.
Speaker 5: You know what's really kind of bitterly ironic about this is that we were talking about potential successes to Susan Lee.
Speaker 4: Might have been four months ago or.
Speaker 5: Something like that, and so at that time people were discussing people like Angus Taylor or Andrew Hasty or on the more moderate side, Tim Wilson. But then since Bondi, and then since Susan Lee landed some hits on Albanezi when it came to Labor having to gut its hate speech bill, that really wasn't happening. This leadership speculation, and even those who would love to see the back of Susan Lee within our own it caught them by surprise. But the point to make here is that we're still talking about Andrew Hassey, who has publicly declared before that he would be up for leadership.
Speaker 4: Angus Taylor.
Speaker 5: He's more experienced than Andrew Hasty, he's former treasurer, but he's also more tainted to a degree. People blame him somewhat for the weak economic platform that the party took to.
Speaker 4: The election, So it's between those two.
Speaker 5: When it comes to the Conservative candidate, a lot of their Conservative colleagues have communicated to Hasty and to Angus Taylor that.
Speaker 4: You guys need to sort it out amongst yourselves. We're not going to be forced to vote for either of you. Even some people have told.
Speaker 5: These two men, I'm not going to vote for either of you if you make me choose, So there's.
Speaker 4: A sense of they have to come to a decision.
Speaker 5: And the most talked about Moderate Candida, interestingly is Tim Wilson.
Speaker 4: He's the member for Goldstein.
Speaker 5: He came back after having been booted from Parliament in twenty two through the election, so he's a lot new er, a lot fresher, and.
Speaker 4: More of that kind of dark horse.
Speaker 5: But he is one of those names being discussed for good reason in terms of his expertise, in terms of his respect across the liberal and conservative factions. But of course, after Susan Lee's election by the Moderate Party, I think a lot of Conservatives are keen to have their go now and there would be quite a lot of support for the Andrew Hasty and Angus Taylors of the world.
Speaker 1: For all that was said about her on Thursday, Susan Lee was conspicuously quiet. She indicated early in the piece she wouldn't be talking politics on the National Day of Mourning for victims of the Bondi terror attack. The question is should she have seen this coming?
Speaker 5: Look, I think people have been talking about the Liberal Party, the future of the Conservative movement, Susan Lee's leadership. This has been something that is not new. It happened very quickly after her election. The point though, is that they didn't see it coming this week because Susan Lee and key frontbenchers landed what was shaping up to be a pre big win, having got labored a gut its bill, having seen people like Andrew Hasty and some other very outspoken Conservative MPs actually vote with Susan Lee and her party rather than cross the floor on this legislation they long said they absolutely hated right and their backbenches. They can do that with absolutely no repercussion. There's a real sense of some wins. Should they have seen it coming on Wednesday Thursday?
Speaker 4: Absolutely not. It very much blindsided a lot of.
Speaker 1: People coming up what next for the Nationals. Let's talk about the Nationals for a moment. Does this bolster their position in the Australian political landscape or were they safer inside the coalition in the long run. I've had a National tell me this is the end of their career, so I don't think there's a sense of crazy optimism that this is going to put them in a great position going forward.
Speaker 4: Equally, they felt that their Liberal colleagues, at least unders Susan Lee, were happy to take their votes, but didn't really respect.
Speaker 5: Them or maybe didn't listen to them beyond that, And so there's a self righteousness there. People aren't bemoaning this decision or saying David Littleprit's made the wrong move or we made the wrong move. They're really backing it and saying we were prince support and so on. But at the same time, a lot of them are pretty clear eyed on the fact that this could go very badly when it comes to just how hard that would be to retain seats and so forth going forward, particularly with questions over Liberal Party support. Should they go to the election as two separate parties. I mean, that's alive and very much uncertain questions.
Speaker 4: So it's a bit of both. It's a bit of as I said, that self righteous.
Speaker 5: We did the right thing, but we're probably going to suffer for this in other ways. I think that's broadly where the party's at. But unlike the Liberals, it's less fractious. People are less angry at each other right now within the Nationals.
Speaker 1: Just lastly, Sarah, we've been here once before, not too long ago. Is there a world in which the coalition kisses and makes up again or is it going to stick this time?
Speaker 5: I suppose it depends who you talk to. I know a lot of Liberals are really angry. Frankly, and even before the confirmation from David Little Proud about frontbench resignations and a coalition split, we're saying we should have split from them last year properly during that brief divorce.
Speaker 4: So I think as a fair bit of frustration amongst the.
Speaker 5: Liberals, and I think a kiss and makeup would need a bit of time.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's an immediate thing. The thing, though, I.
Speaker 5: Suppose that needs to be considered is if and when Susan Lee is replaced, who that person is and if David Little Proud can remain the National's leader, I think there'll be plenty of Liberals that will say no because of how hurt they are right now and frustrated with the Nats. There'd be plenty of nuts that say yes. And that's because they reflect on Peter Dutton and David Little Proud being able to get over some pretty big disagreements and being able to push forward. But that David Little Proud and sort of the three men that I raised before, who are the potential leaders that that actually could really work, They can see that working a lot better, and they imagine that maybe a leader that gets on with David personally could bring his party room along. And it's not some kind of foregone conclusion though. If the majority of the Liberal party room says we are absolutely not getting back together with the coalition with David Little Prowd there, I mean, no matter who you are as leader, you have to listen the National say they will consider that should that time come or that gauntlet.
Speaker 4: Be thrown down. So could the coalition get back together? Yes?
Speaker 5: Is it easy or straightforward or clear how that would happen?
Speaker 4: And whose leadership for both parties? Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: Sarah Eisen is a senior political reporter with The Australian. For all the latest on the fallout from the coalition's big split, visit the Australian dot com dot au