Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That? The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed. As always, I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of Sugar Mamma TV, the financial literacy platform covering YouTube podcasts, Instagram threads, TikTok and more, including books like our upcoming book, Twelve Months of Financial Freedom. Canna, Hello, Hello, how are you very good? And I'm excited because we've got a guest in the studio today, but we'll get to that in the moment. First, I need to ask you a couple of quick questions. Oh why are you worried about that? I do this in every episode. The entire structure of every episode is me asking you questions. I all right, come on, all right, we're going to talk about entertaining YEP today. It's something that I think most people enjoy.
Speaker 2: Tom and I love having people over for us. It's really important.
Speaker 1: Noted that I have never been invited. I thought you weren't much of an entertainer. Now I find out that it's everyone but met.
Speaker 2: Huge homebody and I love having people in my home.
Speaker 1: Okay, it can get expensive though, can't Oh yes, very very quickly, food, drinks, presentation.
Speaker 2: Damage to the house, damage to the house.
Speaker 1: What kind of parties are you having?
Speaker 2: Like kids, wear and tear?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh okay, all right, it's not this picture of this.
Speaker 2: Things get broken, all right, Okay, drawing on the walls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So today, how do you entertain well without overspending? Is the goal? Okay, that's what we're going to do. Okay, when people are hosting, where do people tend to overspend? Do you think is it in the food? Just trying to impress, I would say.
Speaker 2: The alcohol first, you know, assuming you're serving alcohol is because you know, wine, champagne, spirits, you can do a cocktail that can be very expensive. Then, you know, we always want to make sure that we have more than enough food because you can't have guests leaving hungry. And obviously you want to make sure the food is nice. So it's often the ingredients or where we go and buy the food from. It's you know, special occasions, it's going to cost more.
Speaker 1: Any if you're serving any kind of meat whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Kind of start about seafood.
Speaker 1: Do you do that occasionally?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm I'm really crap in the kitchen now I pull this schools're probably I haven't had you over. But Tom is very good and Tom likes he'll spend on meat and seafood.
Speaker 1: Actually, do you think there's a pressure to impress?
Speaker 2: Definitely? Okay, whether whether you want to admit it or not, I mean, it definitely is a reflection you're serving people eat with food poisoning, or people leave hungry, or people sleep going.
Speaker 1: Wow middle ground.
Speaker 2: Though you know it is a little bit embarrassing, So there is a lot of pressure to perform, you know, to make sure filling everyone's buckets and glasses and bellies. Of course most import the belly in the most responsible way. Possibly, are you.
Speaker 1: Something I can bring a bucket to our house then and it.
Speaker 2: Please don't again? Then I have to feel at that. I don't think I can cope with that pressure.
Speaker 1: Do you think that that guests though tender? Do you think we overestimate what guests are actually noticing? I'm just trying to think, yes, like you spend, God, this must be perfect and this must be great, and this must be fantastic. But generally guests don't care that much.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think also from a like I have this running joke with my girlfriends where if we ever want our homes to like to be really tidy and organized and clean, throw a dinner party, because the pressure you'll put on yourself to like clean, all the things that you've been putting off for a really long time will suddenly get done.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's absolutely right. What last question before we bring in our guest for you? Now that we've established that you are an entertainer and that you do enjoy having people to your house, but what makes a great night laughter?
Speaker 2: Yes, like the connection with like friends and family having them in your home, like your home is like it's going to sound a bit spiritual, but you've got to be really careful as to who you have in your home. No, look at you sulking at me. We're renovating. When we've done the bit of the backyard, we'll have you and the kids over. But I'm just waiting for the house to be perfect for you. I just don't want to show.
Speaker 1: You anything less that's fair, I would judge, you know.
Speaker 2: Really, it's about connecting, having fun, building memories, having moments, building up those inside jokes, the inside humor, Like I think that's the richness of having someone in your home, and the energy their energy in your home is also something very important and sacred and precious. So I'm careful as to who I have in our home as well. So I know I'm making it sound like I hate you and I'm faced. I'm so nice to you on the podcast, but I haven't had you over. I promise to have you over. Just give me a bit more time to get the house in the water, all right, that's fine, two years, give me three months.
Speaker 1: Two months, all right, we're on okay. Obviously we want to do this without breaking the bank, right, And this is the thing that I keep coming back to is that it is just a really expensive thing to do this. But you want your guests to have a good time. You want everyone to walk away just going oh that was actually really fun and not fun.
Speaker 2: That was great. That was the goal.
Speaker 1: That was a great night. That was the best night ever. Too much, No, not all the best night ever, okay, But one area where I think people do tend to feel a lot of pressure, and it was actually the one that you picked out straight up, that where people tend to overspend and feel that pressure is on the drinks, right, And I would say that's particularly wine, because if you are on the outside, it feels like a very kind of opaque world where it's a bit hard to know what's what, and it's a bit hard to know what's good value, and it's a bit hard to know what's kind of good quality, and you end up just buying labels and you spend a fortune because I do.
Speaker 2: I just go, oh, well, that's a footy five dollar bottle. That's expensive, but it must be good because it's forty five to fifty dollars, and I buy that when I'm sure there's something that's just as good that's thirty.
Speaker 1: Well, have I got a surprise for you? It's not so much a surprise because he's standing in the studio right next day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, beIN is curtain, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, and pull it back. And here we are. We have joined in the studio today by someone who is going to help us navigate the world of wine. Roger Bond is a wine merchant at Dan Murphy's, which is a very cool job. I've got to say. Dan Murphys is a great supporter of this podcast. Welcome Roger to the show. Thank you for coming in, Thank you for having me today. Okay, tell me first of all, before we get to wine and what we should actually be choosing, How on earth do you become a wine merchant? Because you know a lot about wine.
Speaker 3: I tend to forget how much I actually do know, but I realized that I've just done many years of actual study in regards to it. It started off because I had employees didn't know the difference between Chardonnay and Savion Blanc, and I was like, how do I help them? So? And this was before Dan Murphy's, prior to COVID actually, and I found that I really enjoyed learning about wine. The more you realize and the more you learn, the more you realize you don't know, which is the incredible part of it. And there's an entire world of wine out there, not just what we know my bed.
Speaker 1: Do you find then that it can I referred to it as being quite an opaque world, which in terms of if you don't know, if you're on the outside of it and you are just going into into Dan's and looking for something, there's a lot to choose from, yes, and just knowing where to start, and so you tend to gravitate towards the labels that you know, and as we talked about Canada, the price tag because you go, Okay, I want to buy a quality I want to impress, but I don't know where to start. Kind of is that probably the number one mistake that people make, just by not taking it a little bit of a deeper dive into it and asking for some help.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, But I do also acknowledge that a lot of people are very time poor in regards to what they're looking for, especially when they've got parties and events. So all of those like kind of big labels, they're quality products, but there are always labels out there which you might not have heard of, which are incredible producers who will be doing a very similar level of quality and you can get it for a much better price.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And listeners to the podcast may have heard the US talking about the Best in Glass Wine Awards, which is basically a fantastic way to learn about some of these different varieties, different brands that you may not have heard of, but that have been kind of selected by wine merchant like you for people to try.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I was on the judging panel, which is.
Speaker 2: We feel very privileged.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it was a lot of fun being able to taste a broad selection of wines which are available across the country. So that's one of the things that we wanted to do. A lot of the big names and reviews in wine will be about wines which you might be able to buy only at the solstice, if you're standing outside in the sun waiting in line, and then.
Speaker 1: Once you've got it, you've got to leave it. Cellard for twenty five years at eighteen degrees celsius exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: These are wines which are available to drink straight away.
Speaker 1: That's important because if you're having a party, chances are you are going in on the Friday and the parties on the Saturday.
Speaker 2: Or you're picking it up on the way to the party.
Speaker 1: That's a very good Poh.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes that happens.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me more about the judging process, because I'm just fascinated by this. Do you do they kind of line them all up?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Blind? Tastings and labels are removed and you've got to.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of that involved a lot and no, we don't swallow any of the wine so we have to make sure that we split it all out.
Speaker 1: It's being responsible wise.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, but we've got to take detailed notes about it. I tell you how I judge. I write down what is my first impression of the wine straight away, just usually a couple of words that I'm feeling on the palette, just straight up, and that helps guide how I feel about the wine. And then I get into the nitty gritty as to how it's it's done properly. But yeah, it helps me helps me select the winners.
Speaker 1: Oh, that is amazing, and so you can actually form an opinion just from that first moment that it touches the.
Speaker 3: Tongue absolutely absolutely, but then also like there's a more complex system involved with it as well.
Speaker 1: All right, well, we are all about trying to make the complex simple this podcast. So what I'm going to do after a break, I want you to give us some names if you can, and we'll kind of put some scenarios to you of some different kind of parties and things like that Canna might be holding or go and.
Speaker 2: Start with a family barbecue in the backyard in the month of say July. So it's going to be cold, okay, So it's obviously after the break, but just to get you ready for Michael and his family.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like this.
Speaker 2: It's got to be budget friend.
Speaker 1: I like that you're manifesting now me actually coming to your house. It happen for a gathering. One question before we get to the break. Do people overspend because they just want safety so they go for that brand, they go for that price tag. Do you actually see this happening and do you just want to just go come over here? Have you tried this instead?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? That is my reason for being It's why I come to work every single day is to help people find the best best wine at the best price as well. And not everyone's buying like this fancy French label. Sometimes they're after something which is more accessible.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I think then we can safely say that that expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.
Speaker 3: Oh no, not.
Speaker 1: The look of horror on your face when I said that, just then, that is not a principle that you live by. Right there are there are kind of good value things at all price points.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. People some people think that I'm drinking like you know, Montrachet every single night. That is absolutely not the truth. I have a mortgage, so it is something which is very conscious for me.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break. When we come back, we are getting some names, and so if you need a moment to go and get a pen and at a piece of paper to write these down, these suggestions for wines that you might want to try without breaking the bank. We'll be back in a moment to do that. Can are we talk today about how to entertain well without overspending, with a real focus on wine. And we have an expert in the studio. We've got Roger Bond with us, is a wine merchant at Dan Murphy's and he's about to take us through some of the wines that you can try for different scenarios, And so can I gave us an example, just a random scenario that she pulled out of a of a backyard barbecue. Let's say it's in the warmer months. If that's all right? Can? If I can make it?
Speaker 2: Oh, you want to delay coming over. I haven't even formally invited you, who already trying to reschedule me. It's a later date, two seasons later.
Speaker 1: Let's say October November. So it's nice and warm. I don't want to be sitting in the backyard and shivering. So are summer barbecue? What should we be looking at?
Speaker 3: Some are barbecue red or white?
Speaker 2: Is that with white white?
Speaker 3: So for me, I find sometimes that you're Savian. Blanc Charoneys can be polarizing to some people, so I would use ually suggests maybe a grizzio because it's light, it's easy, it's fun think about names out of the King Valley. So Paisine is a really lovely producer in the King Valley. They're Italian immigrants that bought their wine making to the King Valley. They do it a very similar style to what you can get out of Italy, which I think is really lovely. And they do a number of different varietals as well too. So if you're not interested in pino griggio, anice is a fantastic option which you can use.
Speaker 2: Well okay, I love that you like furiously writing.
Speaker 1: No, we are taking this very seriously, so okay, okay, So that's the summer barbecue. What about a winter rose? Oh okay, okay, all right, sorry, this is still for when I come to your post.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's now been shifted from winter to summer. You're if forget about it? So what about a rose.
Speaker 3: So a lot of people throughout the world are very interested in those Provence styles, but we produce some absolutely fantastic rosees here in Australia as well. That's your favorite dominic potet. So they do one called the Fontaine, which I think is really much had that.
Speaker 2: It's great. Yeah, it's bottle too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very lovely. It's in that very classic, easy drinking style. And remember when you're hosting a barbecue, it's not about the about the wine being center. The wine should be the lubrication for the conversation, not the focus of it.
Speaker 1: Can I be really crude then and ask kind of what price points are we looking at for these without being specific? Kind of what's the general ballpark for some of these wines that you're mentioning?
Speaker 3: So a lot of these wines are going to be under thirty dollars. Some will also be under fifty as well too.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, this is good. So you're getting these are recommendations from one of the judges of the Best in England Las Wine Awards. This is good. You're happy to move on from the summer barbecue particularly, have.
Speaker 2: A lot of friends who love a good rose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is it does feel like it has been a very on trend drink for the last few years. What about what about a winter dinner? So it's it's having a maybe dinner party. Can anyone have dinner parties these days? Not really? What about what about you're having friends over in winter? It's a bit cold.
Speaker 2: Cheese nice cheese plate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I like this A red Chaz Australia still loves charas. We haven't fallen out of love with it. It is definitely a number one selling grown drunk wine in the country or wine red wine style from where in Australia, well, South Australia is definitely the most popular. In our Best in Glass Awards tour, Brick the Sporn Charants took out the best, so absolutely fantastic wine. This is one that I would usually point to in store because it's a wine that I did say that this wine is ready to drink straight away, and it definitely is. But if you've forgot about it, you've left it underneath the house for five six years, it become even better.
Speaker 1: Oh really, see that's kind of good, right. You want something that if then someone cancels on your dinner, you just pop that wine back into the cupboard, leave it for five years for the next time they come over, and the wine has improved.
Speaker 2: And potentially gone up in value.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a good point as well. I love that you went.
Speaker 2: To that, not financial advice, No.
Speaker 1: No, probably not. Okay, what about then? And this is a big one, a celebration. Right when we are talking celebration, you think bubbles, and there is the almost the default setting to go, okay, I must go French champagne so that a people will know that it's quality and also that they know that I've spent enough money on it that I've done it like a cheap skate. There we go. I was trying to tiptoe around that, but yes, that is it. What do we do.
Speaker 3: If you still want to stay in France? So, France is a really big country that produces a style of wine called method traditional. So that is what champagne is. But champagne started a lot later than a region much further south, so Cremont de le Moux, which is down on a Mediterranean border. They produce some absolutely fantastic sparkling wine at a fraction of the price of champagne. So I usually suggest this for parties and events. So you want it to be beautiful bubbles, all of those wonderful toasty flavors, a light bit of fruit to it, just excellent in the glass. However, you don't want that champagne price.
Speaker 1: So what kind of price are we looking at?
Speaker 3: Under thirty?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Really absolutely, that's what I'm bringing to celebrate you finally having me to your house.
Speaker 2: Well, if it's that cheap, you can bring two bottles cheaps caped.
Speaker 1: Okay, I probably will now that you have called me out on it. Okay, what about any Australian options?
Speaker 3: Best of both worlds? So Shandon is obviously one of the most famous houses in champagne. Shandon is produced in Australia as well and has been for decades. So they produce a vintage version which took it out, took out an award in our Best in Glass awards. So it's got all of the same complexity as you would get in a really lovely champagne, except it's made locally in Australia.
Speaker 1: That's really cool. Oh yeah, Okay, So that means then that you can have, as you say, the best of both worlds, and that's not at a very high price.
Speaker 3: Point not at all. Absolutely, so it to be in contention for judging in the Best in Glass Awards, it had to be an accessible bottle of wine. I mean, just saying oh, we're going to put all one hundred, five hundred dollars bottles of wine and they're going to win it doesn't help anyone. We want people to be able to drink better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and to be able to, as you put it, be accessible in every store absolutely right wherever you are around the country, to be able to get this and to know that you're going to be able to have a good time without breaking the bank. Now I'm asking this almost on behalf of Canna. What if you're not a huge wine drinker and you want to just pop something else out there? Gin, there we go. Yep.
Speaker 3: My absolute favorites Papa Salt. So Papa Salt is produced by a well known Australian actress, although she doesn't usually like to put her name behind it because she made it with her five friends and so therefore it's all about her five friends being involved. However, I have met this particular person and she is an absolute dull. She's so lovely, she knows everything about her Gin and was very involved in the creation of it. Plus it's also a fantastic gin. It's the style of gin that you could have without tonic, you could have it with soda. So it's just it's a beautiful gin completely in its own right.
Speaker 1: Papasault, right, that sounds I haven't heard of it, No, I haven't, haven't. I look at the notes that you and I have been taking the whole time. I don't think we've ever written this. Yeah, this is this is actually just live research, okay, taking the stress out of it. Is it just as simple as going up and asking for some help in stall?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely. We're always happy to come up to people as well too and ask them. I do that a lot throughout the day, and I'll usually be given that oh no, no, no, I'm fine, And then they come back and be like.
Speaker 1: Actually that's me. Ye try to bluff my way through it to begin with. And then I realized that, actually, no, I do need help. Otherwise you're going to do that default to the expensive brands because they're the brands that.
Speaker 2: You know or you've seen them in other people's homes. That's a good point I too.
Speaker 1: All right, any last words of advice if you had to, if you're opening a bottle tonight, what would you be picking?
Speaker 3: For me? Personally, I probably go for that Chiraz earlier, so I think it's it's very warming, it's a great brand. It's one that I know I've recommended for years, even before it won. So for me, that's a no brainer.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm off to say you look, you're halfway out of the door. Can you come with me?
Speaker 3: Keep an eye out for the people wearing the funny aprons, so wear them wine merchants in store. We're very happy to help people.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, all right, Roger, thank you so much for coming in today and for sharing some of your wisdom with us. I think brilliant. Yeah, I mean the notes that we've taken are going to help us, and I will be bringing some of them to Canna's house.
Speaker 2: And I will know exactly how much is spent.
Speaker 1: Which fortunately won't be much, as we've discussed. Thanks so much, Roger, Thank you now, Canna, very quickly, Can I put you on the spot?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: If I was to ask you three top tips for entertaining without overspending, we've now heard the you cannot use wine as one of them. Now you cannot use the Dan Murphy's Best in Glass Wine Awards as one of your top tips. Have you got three? Go for it all right?
Speaker 2: Obviously, First is ask everyone to bring a plate or a bottle. But make sure you communicate, because you don't want everyone turning up with champagne or everyone turning up with salad, or you make sure you communicate clearly. Would be great if you could bring a sal It'd be great. If you could bring a red it would be great if you've brought a white. Second, it would be time communication. There is nothing worse when you've got people and they don't leave, and they drink and eat you out of house and home, and you think, just go home or nothing left to feed or drink.
Speaker 1: Even Roger's laughing at this one. He's experienced this too, haven't you. Yeah, I think everyone has.
Speaker 2: So it's saying, you know, look, we'll do an early dinner, a five pm barbecue so that kids can be all in bed by eight thirty nine o'clock. You kind of put a bit of a cap or a guide so that people know they're not settling in. You know, it is a meal. It is catch up but.
Speaker 1: Then get out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like yeah, exactly. And then my third tip would be plan and purchase over time. So a lot of my girlfriends when they have kids, party or they're entertaining even they'll start buying the things about ten weeks out. So and obviously the non perishables they'll go to Costco get all their cheeses and their crackers. You know, they will all go to Aldi. They kind of spread that big purchase over a course of six to ten weeks, so that it's not one massive grocery shop you know, pit stop at the wine shop, at the bottle shop. It's just slowly, insteadily built up over time.
Speaker 1: That's a great idea. Thank you.
Speaker 2: When you come to my house finally for a family barbecue, we'll do a five pms kick off and I will be putting you in your car to drive home safely at nine pm shop Sorry, not even nine seven pm shop.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, so it's five to seven. We have a deadline years that is very brief. All right. Exit on a hikes is starting to feel less and less welcoming and more kind of very regimented and strict. All right. I think that that pretty much leaves us in a good place. We now know broadly how to entertain well without overspending. And we're very grateful to you Roger for coming into the studio today. Roger Bond Wine merchant at Dan Murphy's, great supporter of the podcast, So thank you very much. In Kenna. Thank you to you. Where do we find you? If what more information from you?
Speaker 2: Always find me on Instagram at Sugar Mama TV.
Speaker 1: And of course we talked a lot about wine in this episode. Remember to drink wise. You can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business news you can use. Thank you for listening to how do they afford that? Remember to hit follow on the podcast. And I'm not pre order a copy of our book coming out in September, Twelve Months of Financial Freedom. I'll put a link in the show notes. Thank you for your company. Join us again next week