Speaker 1: Better than the Lego, better than Leo. Yes, dogs were fantastic, really good. Tricky one for match because yesterday it was about Mitch Mitch Moses. I reckon, buy at halftime Mitch Moses had the new south Well seven jersey full time.
Speaker 2: What do you think I reckon he would have been disappointed just that he didn't put the game away. You know, you're up for eight, we're ten minutes ago. You just got to kick through the corner reever. But we spoke about before.
Speaker 3: That's the big men.
Speaker 2: You know, when you get that momentum with your big fellows, you've really got to put the nail on the coffin. I thought a couple of the options when they were down to twelve men the Bulldogs. You know, Mitch finds lane, Lane spills the beans, you know, the great opportunity. But maybe just play the percentage players. You can't give up more in those sort of areas. You've got to make them work. You've got to take the juice out of their tank. Another time, I think it was down like play two, they turn it over.
Speaker 3: I think maybe Junior Poulo. Yep, you just can't let sides off.
Speaker 2: And I reckon that would have probably been in the back of Matge's mind, like Queensland had an advantage against us and they made us pay. You know, watching that yesterday, how are we going to make Queensland pay from that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: And I have a defense with Nicko Hines too. Nico's kicking let him down, noted about that. But you've got to consider sometimes do we forget the fact that Nicko was operating with twelve in a slide of twelve man never once in the game when they got thirty and you got twelve. And I'm speaking, you know, basics, thanks Scoop, but you never you never have a numerical advantage, and most of your sets will start in the middle field. You worked at the posts and you so that's where it all starts. And every single time you look it up and they've got five and you got four, I mean, what are you going to do? I have to say that because he's copped a fair bit.
Speaker 2: Nick and Maddie, I reckon we didn't help him out. It took us twenty twenty five minutes to adjust when.
Speaker 3: To put Steve right on the other side of the thing. Yeah, like that's where they were going.
Speaker 2: We should have knew like Nico, he's got those demons from Game one last year defending it right center. Yep, why wouldn't we help the bloke out put our best?
Speaker 1: Like Steve Krome may what a player mate, his strength to strength, you know what? A couple of things with Crichton. I really like it. Like he's just about the best defensive I've never seen a better defensive center. I mean Steve Rodgers growing up as a kid watching sludge as a defensive center was incredible. Ruben WICKI was great defender, scary when he played in the centers. Crichton's decision making and he's just second or none and he can hold a defensive pattern. But also he allows himself his instincts. Hence he picks off intercepts and gay.
Speaker 2: It's sort of like he defends in between, but then nine times out of ten he makes the right decision. Like I've never defended out why and I don't want to because it's a scary place. Cobbo looked like he was just shut down completely when he was there, Like some of the bootleg tackles mate remarkable.
Speaker 1: The other thing I like about him is strength, Like is lead ship and his strength to personality. He came on the show on a Sunday night a beit a month ago, him and Jacob kraz Jacob what a lovely bloke. Jacobs sitting there, you know, and he's a young guy, and we're asking questions. I'm asking questions at the two of them, and Steve sort of pausing a little bit after I answered a few, waiting for Jacob to kick in and he's having to answer it anyway. At one point we went to some I asked the question. Steve started talking and we went to some vision and he slapped Jacob on the arm and said, you' pick up yeahttle bit, that's right.
Speaker 3: I was sort of question mark, why is he captain?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Then started the year made He's pasted every test. He's been absolutely unbelieve I actually tossed him up he could beat and so I was captain when they hadn't made Jakie captain because the job he's done at Canterbury it's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: He's been brilliant. I'm really happy for the dogs too. I love the way they play. They've got a smaller pack of forwards, but they now how to make it work, you know, to play with a little bit of subtlety staying odin for one second. Okay, the SWI you send off, it was to send off, isn't it about that? Cooper said to me last week and he said, you know, how would you defend Rhys Walsh? And I said, well, you don't compress and slide out because you're making a foot race. You going to burn you. You've got to defend him outside in. But we see defending outside in as high risk. There's not a lot of there's not a lot of room for error. Yeah, you've got to sort of bend that back a little bit.
Speaker 2: Noticed where I've watched the replays of it, Maddie, he was in control into that last second when he dips his head. Yeah, that turns it from like careless to reckless and that's probably where he's let himself down. But like you said, a blowerve Reese Walsh, he's that scary to defend because as a middle you've got to get up and squeeze him. But then because he just burns you nine times out of ten, the outside I've got to come in and make a decision, like you said, if they don't shut him down.
Speaker 1: For him personally, what I really missed when he got sent off as a rugby league fan was when he had that first touch of the football, that first run he did and just tapped and went and just went straight at Tommy did And. I turned to your mate Cooper John's and said to him, at the end of eighty minutes, this kid's going to be a superstar. You know.
Speaker 3: I love about him. Look at his size.
Speaker 1: Look at that bush.
Speaker 3: That's like, that's not easy.
Speaker 2: He's running into three men isolates Tommy did in there and look finds his front.
Speaker 3: That's what you want from the start to see.
Speaker 2: I original would have had him at wing, yeah, because it just sort of it just dulls down. Is what he's got to worry about in the game. I just want you to carry every time I reckon. He's had a great game for the Roosters. He's been a winger and he's just so hard to handle. For me origin outside back. You need big bodies slogs to can leap and get you out of trouble. But I thought that that statement in that first carry. I was like, this is going to be a big eighty minutes for did.
Speaker 3: And and they're lucky.
Speaker 1: Woulds he your big oragin moments.
Speaker 2: Well, mate, the first origin moment for me obviously we were sort of dominating in the possession. It was just after I think it was just before Swali did this end off.
Speaker 3: Last play option.
Speaker 2: Nicka Heines goes that line and does does something doesn't usually do a left foot grubber yep, just rolls a little bit dead and they get a twenty meut restart. But from that twenty met to restart, they get a couple of quick rucks. You know, Cherry Evans, I've heard you talk about before with Cooper, like at training when we train he chairs, you don't know what he's going to do. When he goes dummy half he'll show.
Speaker 3: To come out you're dummy, He'll come back.
Speaker 2: But the two veterans, Cherry Evans and Hunt, they just know each other's game inside out and they just if.
Speaker 3: You watch Ben, he just keeps moving forward.
Speaker 2: Cherry goes down a short side, steps back and he sort of just throwzer Hawl Mary offload. But he knows there's a combination they've had over time with Ben Hunt just go straight through and that just that is so.
Speaker 1: True about Ben Hunt and you're seeing because that's trademark. Cherry isn't scoop and I've seen him. I've seen him go down two men to short sides where there's no new miraicle event. He just scoops and goes down, goes I'm running down a cold to sack you, and then just turns and wanders back and field.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it train all the time, Maddie, Like we've got like hub Blokeslot Nathan Brown allout trying to call the set up plays, you know, try to bring Brooks into the game and you just see chairs, you'll scoop it up. You think they're going to go the markers, go the open. Then he goes down to short side and then he'll look like he's going to throw and then he'll just drop Homoli underneath. And it's just like mate, like I said, there's no number of.
Speaker 3: Eni there at all.
Speaker 1: Other big moments, the second one was.
Speaker 3: So they lose.
Speaker 2: Whereas Walsh, you've got someone like the big Hemmer. He hasn't done much training at fullback for Queensland to position himself to stop Spencer Lenu from scoring that try.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you.
Speaker 2: Think about that, right, Nicko, Heines probably hasn't had the greatest start of the game. Yep, he sets up that little play for lend you on the inside. I think it's that could create a little bit momentum for Nicko. But what it does is like, mate, we can't score against these bloke. They just keep turning up.
Speaker 1: Yeah they do, aren't they? And it's just was Yeah, without a doubt, it was God, he had some sort of game, unbelievable chess mant of the match. I got to say, all to give it to Hemma. So three tries, try saver, three tri cysts and then mate the last one.
Speaker 3: I've heard a lot of people speak about it. I think it was.
Speaker 2: You know, Nicko has a great kick, you know, goes to kick for the forty twenty, looks like it's on, gets a great bounce, but they just somehow recover it.
Speaker 3: Yep, I think it was David.
Speaker 1: Yes, the back knocks the back.
Speaker 2: We thought it was out, but it was clearly knocked back in.
Speaker 3: It was a great play.
Speaker 2: Three plays later, Cherry Errands just creates a little bit option sees Lomacs out of position.
Speaker 1: Throughout origin history. Well certainly certainly you know during that amazing run they have of wins the thing that turns. How they turn the momentum of the contest is that kick, that early kick and chase and what's interesting there. We always talk about state of origin. You've got to play the full lady. Well, it's not necessarily meaning you're in a play. Yeah, you've got to last to the eightieth minute. It's you can't take a rest and they'll recognize it. What you see there is we get where she enjoyed a bit of a sentence there watching and going a secret. This could be one of the greatest upsets we get twenty to sixteen. We got the ascendancy. We're going at him and you just see our back three, just take a little bit of take a breath and he recognizes.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 2: But it happened when I play when they won the eight series, right, we used to have a course Smith it means he'd kick and it'll always be when they set up right side of the field because he had a great left foot yep. But then we were sort of putting the black there. But then Smith being the genius is he can just hook it back. But you do it at moments when you where we've got full momentum and what it would be right, Cooper, Kank would stay flat JT. You know Chambers, they just had that nap of reading camera Smith well and that kicked along.
Speaker 3: Mate, took us three places again.
Speaker 1: That's you're going. You're going, you know, upfielled me and Miles now in defense and all of a sudden he goes bang, not at sixty meters down.
Speaker 2: And then we forced we come up with an error or something and they go, how we in this position again?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I know. I tell you what. One thing, ladies and gentlemen, bring the rock star in Latrell. Mitchell got to read him in, Mate, like the bigger the stage.
Speaker 3: Mate.
Speaker 1: He's got presence and Latrell. It's just got that rock star superstar mentality. You know. He can elevate himself and will elevate himself. He'll be right after the change. It's funny. Yeah, when you talk about players who can do that, the one that comes to mind was a bloke who I'm related to, Andrew. Really, I said, right altitude not talking to it. That's melted a little bit. Like if we talk about two thousand and five, that comeback he did. It was interesting when you look at what led up to it. So two thousand and forwards. He did his acl missed a lot of time out of football, and fair to say that Joey wouldn't have been the perfect patient. His social life probably elevated a little bit so when he came back in two thousand, just a little bit two thousand and five, he was terrible. His leg had no power in it. I remember once they played a game against Canberra. They got boot and I didn't see the game somewhere and phone rings and I was thinking the games it's not finished anyway. The game had literally finished. He walked straight off the field, picked up his phone, rang me and said, I'm quitting. I've lost it. Really, I never knew I could play so bad, you know, it was the emotion on it. But it was in what happened the following week. It might have been the following week of the week after, I'm not sure. Which turned out to be a blessing in this guy's He broke his playing the Warriors and broke his jaw and went off the field, and what he did, he was out for about I think he was about five weeks. That five weeks. The Knights immediately send him up to the Queencine Institute of Sport and they just worked on them there at the time. I think Kelvin Giles was there, who's like the godfather of strength and conditioning in Australia and some other guys. They've done a lot of really great work of people recovering from a CL's. So they sent him up there and when I saw him after he came back, I couldn't believe how fit he looked. They just tortured him and worked him hard. He looked rock hard fit. His first game Backwoods, he I believe was I think might have been the might have been the opening A son caught stadium again. Bronco has gone back there. He led the Knights to a win and Joey just carved him up. But they didn't pick him for state of origin going into game too. They picked Bass I think it was trmparent and he strained a quad in training.
Speaker 3: Because that was the back of the Naughty intercept Naughty.
Speaker 1: In a set, and then they went Joey, he's not ready. They went with Trent who tweaked his quad and Ricky said, no, I need you to be training. So who were going to bring in and take a chance on Joey and Hind. It's all the story that when he came into training everything changed. He walked into training directing everyone around and he said, mate, I just I couldn't believe the control he had, and he said, I never knew football could be so organized and so easy. Now on that night he went out there and I was a little bit nervous as a family member. Gown.
Speaker 3: You can interview him on the bus.
Speaker 1: That was a test match. Yeah, he just completely completely carved him up one of the great origin games. And what it was was he was his ability to elevate himself emotionally. When players aren't great, players aren't in great form, you pick them. And that's where Queensland don't make that mistake he's seen for years and pick blow and they put the jersey on and they elevate.
Speaker 3: For me with the trills. It's his arrogance, but in a good way.
Speaker 2: Yes, Like I hate playing against him because you know, when you've got to tackle him, he's got these the great reach and like when you're on the ground, he'll hold you getting up and he'll just cross that line yep. And I think that's what we lacked a little bit, Yeah, just a little bit of the physicality and you watch if someone comes near him on that it will be left edge. If I'd have him at left center, Yep, they're right mate. He'll make a statement early on, you know. And he's a guy that you can't just go you know, Cobber, you will just be able to defend. No, No, you've got to have a couple on him. He has that presence. Well, he has that fear and that's when it brings in the likes of Well depends if they pick Mitchell Moses you can bring the show and go because you got they're all the threats with Latrell, or you can use the outside man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, and then you go to Latrell. Well, I mean look at the combination. Yeah, we talk about great combinations as far as state of origin. You got Jeene Miles and Melvininger like imagine you know the New South Wales with galling about Miles and Meninga like what are you going to do here?
Speaker 3: Mate?
Speaker 1: Crighton and Latrell Mitchell talking about presence that that's red hot.
Speaker 2: When we speak about Latrell, did you watch him on the weekend? Yes, it was incredible, it was different.
Speaker 1: I was at I was at the Fortune of War at the pub at the Rocks, and I sat there, I had a skin, I had the pan of paper in front of me and knocking notes down and remember people looking going and it was just bloke and mate when he did that free center canear when he went bush and then just went pop to see a big man like that was such beautiful soft hands. I stood and applauded. A couple of old people next ton the next table just went what about that? It was just incredible performance.
Speaker 2: And he's got that instinct too. Like you know, we speak about Crichton with intercept. Latrell knows the right. He's been a great system the Roosters. He was unbelieva. We're best in in the competition for that period of time. And like I said to you, he can ball play goalkicker as well, and if you want, you can find in the middle and do the torpedoes.
Speaker 1: And mate, he's got great instincts he does. So what what you do with Latrell. I mean, have a look at the year that we had Tom Travoid Bitch and Latrell, and what they would do is the old fashion work the ball toward a sideline to a scrum line and let them sweep and go together. And now Crichton and Latrell, both of them great instinctive players. That would be a huge weapon.
Speaker 2: You know when they always at the old champions saying you just keep knocking the mate, he would love this moment. Get that up. Years I've still got it. And he's not playing fullback. He doesn't have to do as much work. Try you know, he can just be so solid, say.
Speaker 3: I come in.
Speaker 2: We don't want him to play. You know, the yard is carriers. We've got the low maaxes. You know, we've got those bogs to do that when we're down a good board, we need to have.
Speaker 3: A bit of threat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he and Madge, like Madge needs to stop communicating to Latrell through the media. Just ring mate. I tell what I'd be doing, mate, I would be hopping in the car. I'd have in my left hand, I'd have the Blues jersey and the pedal would be to the medal. And I'm going straight to his house and I'm saying, Latrell, I'm not leaving here until you give me the assurance.
Speaker 3: I need you. I need you. You're our mamn, Benji.
Speaker 1: Have you spoke to Benji in FG?
Speaker 3: Yes, said mate, I give him heads up you know coming after. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, he's a different cat to what other coaches are. He's not a Craig Bellamy. You know, Des has a million mile, twenty five hours you know, seven days.
Speaker 3: A week coach. He likes to have that little bit of a luxury. It's the way he played like he's a gambler.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: He'll have his set ups, like he's got his foundation and what he wants to do, but.
Speaker 2: He'll always risk it, you know, those type of blokes. Look he is to say he's a little bit frustrated. I think he wouldn't want ten losses in a row, Maddie, Like it'd be killing him. He's an Absolutely, he's a competitor. He's not just a bloke that sort of just goes through emotions and comes up with his flick bass. He used to practice that NonStop a trainer, but he was huge on those. Like we had little games where would bring his style into play. He'd be few of the mouth, like he'd be absolutely ropable with losing. But I just think it's the little parts of his games, like you know, of what he's trying to coach these boys, Like I watched on the weekend, and yeah, they were told to offload, but they tried to offload it absolutely every opportunity. And there's one moment they made it sort of a little line break down the left edge early on the game and sim well if anyone play one tries to flick it back in when the Dragons are at sixes and sevens.
Speaker 1: It's funny the message when you've got a young team you say, right, let's to play a bit of football. What that message the young players get for them? That's for a lot of young players, that's the license to start to do. These ones that and they're not a football side they can do that. They haven't got the quality to be able to well, their defense is not good enough woodsy to absorb the errors that sort of football brings. What's really important for the Tigers is just a little ticker of mindset watching how they played against the Dragons. They obviously went out there, Full credit to them to say we're going to get out there to win this game. We're going to go with them when you say, boys, we need to win this game, We're going to win win win. For younger players, that's pressure to focusing on the scoreboard and trying to win. If I was Benji, I just I just change the mindset. I'll just say, boys, right, let's sit in the room. We're going to make our side a really hard side to play again and a hard side to beat. Yep, And that's a different mindset you would see.
Speaker 3: You know who's done that. The Bulldogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't get those wins early on in the season. They pushed the Sharks and you know they pushed good sides. But now they're getting reward for the effort and defensive because teams know they're that hard to score against. Now they're coming up with a bit of combination with that. You know how dangerous they left edge fully fit. It's I think there's bettle edge in the competition of.
Speaker 3: Them not at all, and that's what the Tiger's gonna build.
Speaker 2: I know Tigers have got They've got claim Out, they've got Bateman, they've got Papa LEAs, there's three big middles.
Speaker 3: But you just need blokes that it's going to work.
Speaker 2: Hard defensively, like the best one I reckon at the moment he played origin camera Mcinness He's a little body but got what you get out of him. He keeps the ruck tight, he generates quick play of the ball. His effort areas are phenomenal every week. Yeah, they need it for me. They need to sign someone that's big on effort areas Xoos energy like Cronulla signed dlphin Kane new con Sorry yep, and yeah he was at the back end of his contract. But what he brought to the training ethic. You know what he's instilled in the young players. From what I've heard from all the boys, it's the work off the field that he's done for the club that's been phenomenal.
Speaker 1: It's so true. Sometimes there's players right at the end of their career and a club will buy them. People go, he's gone. It's not about what he gives a team on a Sunday, It's about what he gives them from Monday, preparation through.
Speaker 3: It's teaching these young kids how to prepare for first grade.
Speaker 1: Teach him how to win.
Speaker 2: And he's been in two great systems in the Bulldogs in Melbourne Storm.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about young bloke who I loves football. He looks he's an old fashioned ball player. He reminds me a lot of Way Graham when he first came through. That's lucky Galvin, big body. Yeah, is the manager playing silly buggers here.
Speaker 3: I feel for him because he's still got two years left on his contract, Mattie. So for me, if I'm the.
Speaker 2: Club, I'm digging the hills in because this kid's got I believe he's going to be a talent yep, you know, and if he wants to learn to be a five eight, he's got one of the best five eights of all time as his head coach. I know you're in a tough period where you're losing. It's Benji's first ever coaching gig, so he's still going to learn. They're both learning themselves. But what for me is Benji showed a lot of faith in him. He's elevating him straight to the starting spot from round one. You're going to have moments in your crew. You know, it's like made the best thing is experienced on the field course of this and he's only played ten games.
Speaker 3: Just cool your jets a.
Speaker 1: Little bit, spot on. Now. He's a young guy, and I understand losing hurts, but mate, don't be that guy, not.
Speaker 3: At this point. I've been through these this experience before.
Speaker 2: Like I was off contract, you know, I didn't have your years remaining my contract, and I sort of, you know, I took an option to go elsewhere. Lucky, the grass isn't always greener. On the other side, I had the worst twelve months of my life. I wasn't ready for what was going to come, Like scrutiny from the media. People didn't know the full story. Clubs just relay the message they want out there, which could be at the moment he could be getting a different message from his manager to what the Tigers is bringing in. And then the other thing. The worst thing for me was when the fans booed me at the game. And this kid's eighteen. I was twenty six at the time. I would hate him go through that period because it sucked. You know, you're at their bust in your backside and fans are doing you and they go number eight.
Speaker 3: What club was that?
Speaker 1: Was that?
Speaker 3: This is Tigers? When I was leaving Tigers Dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, And I hadn't even made my decision up yet, so God knows what the Tigers fans are going through at the moment, you know. And for me, if they let this kid go, this could be another huge setback and could put him back five years.
Speaker 1: And the thing but it is for Lockee at this and now this sounds strange for Lockey at this point in his career. It's not about wins. It's about experience. And I'll tell you this would see. I think he'll learn a lot more from what he's part of at the moment than him just strolling into a top four side.
Speaker 2: I think at the moment, he's a kid playing first grade and you you know, like when you have set up plays, you've got to play director to play straight. A lot of the times Lockie runs across field comes back just creeping for a space, and you don't just get that one space just from like crapping across field.
Speaker 3: You've got to break teams down. And that's what he needs to learn.
Speaker 2: And Mate, if he can learn how to break teams down, Mate, I honestly believe he could be the factor with Tigers coming up the ladder by.
Speaker 1: Far yes, well, I mean the cavalry is on the way, Jerome. I love the scene with him, and that's right, like it's almost like okay, I understand, like you I understand what you're going through. You're a kid that's had a lot of success as schoolboy football and now all of a sudden you're fulfilling a dream, but you're only a lot of flaudings. I understand how hard that is.
Speaker 2: But just hang in there, mate, Jerome, just hang in At Penrith, that's lean years early on that they did. And when Ivan first went back there, yep, they didn't even make the eight right down the bottom. So he could teach him. And he's been a five eight for how long Jerome like the last eight years. He could teach him the best aspects because you see now when Jerome has to control a game, ok, and that's when he's playing.
Speaker 3: Better he does.
Speaker 1: I think part of the reason he went to the Tigers is he wants to stand up on his own accord and say, hey, I've stepped out of this great system. But look at me g and he'd be encouraged now looking at Stephen Crichton.
Speaker 3: And then that's what lucky, because he's got a thing.
Speaker 2: He said, well, I've got this great player coming to Ruver's coming as well.
Speaker 3: He's been a good system. I've got to learn so much of these blogs.
Speaker 1: Still to learn off too, Harry Grant were Harry went, Let's remember he's struck behind Cameron Smith and they struck that girl. And he went to the Tigers, and Tigers that they haven't you know when Harry's inconsistencies again, mate, he just bustes us the whole time. I don't think Tiger's fans will ever forget what he did for that club and how hard he fought.
Speaker 3: No way, and I knew the other thing.
Speaker 2: It's the experience that he's learned being in that sort of a side to what Melbourne's is. The different systems I reckon. Actually both parties got so much out of it.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Him and he played with Benji that period of time too, so he got to play another great.
Speaker 3: Player that he's seen a lot of time.
Speaker 2: And then going back to Melbourne and saying well, this is what didn't work, this is what did work at Tigers, and then taking those little experiences to Melbourne Wood.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed that today.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I should have introduced off the top and explain why here is because Cooper couldn't be here because he had square dancing school at some level, and what a squere danced the bottle White. I love him to it. You should see they's feet. They just dazzled. M hm