Speaker 1: Hello, I'm Tory Archbold. For two decades, I've nurtured the world's top performing retail brands and celebrities. Now I'm asking entrepreneurs, CEOs, and influencers to share their own secrets to success. They're highs, their lows, their game changing moments, and how they got to where they are today. It's a podcast equivalent of opening the best Little Black Book of Contacts.
Speaker 2: Ever.
Speaker 1: If this resonates with you and you're ready to step outside of your comfort zone and into your power zone, I invite you to join my exclusive community via our website, the Powerful dash Steps dot com. Genni one inspired and motivated you to become a chief marketing officer and what actually kicks started that passion for your career.
Speaker 2: I became chief marketing officer by complete accident. I started school intent on being a teacher. I wanted to teach elementary school, and I wanted to teach kids that had hearing challenges or were artistic. So I graduated with a master's in education, a minor in sign language and children literature, and I tried to be a teacher. But when I graduated, there were no full time jobs and I had to get a job. I needed to pay my bills, I needed to get health insurance. I got a job at a retailer in the US, a very large retailer in customer service, and because I'm competitive and I just love challenges, I kept winning awards and so they offered me a job in management, where I was running a customer service team. And I quickly learned that as a teacher, you can use everything that you learn in the business world and get paid a heck of a lot more money for it, which is both a sad statement to make for the world of teaching in the teaching industry because they're so critical, but also very lucky for me because what it did is it propelled me into a world of business that I knew nothing about, and my psychology undergraduate degree really then came in and helped me figure out what the heck am I going to do. My second management job in this company in my twenties was to lead a team of thirty women who had all been with the company in the same job for over thirty years. They had been doing their job longer than I had been alive, and the team's performance was awful, and my job was to find a way to turn it around. Now, I don't know anything technically about business. I'm young, out of school. These people were actually over with my mom. I wasn't sure what to do, and so I really had to look deep inside to my psychology degree and figure out how to get people to trust who I was. And really I had no choice but to be very authentic and kind of relate to them, find ways to relate to them, and from what it became a phenomenal relationship, a phenomenal performing team. And I realized, hey, I loved leveraging insights around authenticity, inspiration, and relatability, which I've come to coin as air to make great things happen. And it moved me into a marketing role where I just worked my way up in various companies who own the brands and the heart and soul of businesses. But I have to say, you know, there are many types of chief marketing officers. There are creative chief marketing officers like those that run global brands like Coke or Pepsi or McDonald's that are very creatively driven. There are ones like those at ABM, or Oracle or Microsoft that are analytical and data driven. And I'm kind of a hybrid because I really look to relate to the organization's customers and find a way to bring that into their hearts and souls.
Speaker 1: Do know what I love about this story is it started with customer service, and it started by getting to know people who you are ultimately taking on a journey. And if I look at my career as well, it definitely it's started in the pits, right, the pits of like customer service, engaging with people, understanding what's that golden thread.
Speaker 2: Because when you actually go in as.
Speaker 1: A chief marketing officer or the head of an agency, which I was, and you're building a global brand, it can be really challenging and it can be incredibly complex, but it doesn't need to be if you understand the journey. Can you just take us on a bit of an example or a case study of a brand that you've worked with which has been really really challenged and you've had to transform it into a top performing brand for sale?
Speaker 2: Got all of them. So somehow in my world of my experiences, my niche is like really around transformation and growth. And it was very fortunate to be at a retailer Jcpenny in the earliest days when the Internet was just coming out, an email wasn't even in existence. So I got into digital marketing the very early stages, from a customer relations role into a digital customer relations role, and inbound emails were coming in before outbound existed. And what I learned was it really is about resonating and building a relationship with your customer. You can do it digitally, that's fantastic, but you need to really get into their hearts and souls and understand what motivates them. So I've taken that to other companies, whether it's Barnes and Noble, whether it's all of the companies that I worked with when I was at both Gray as well as Ogilvy and very executive level advertising agency roles on a global basis over to Mercer, which is part of Marshall mcclennan, also in a global role through some startups like daily Pay and Zinio. And where I am right now as the chief marketing officer of Right Aid, and I'll tell you at right Aid, we've got a very interesting story. I came in right before the company voluntarily filed a Chapter eleven financial restructuring, and with that you run into a very interesting marketing situation. I have a business that everybody's fallen in love with and that everybody loves, but financially they need to make some changes. So I was now not up against poor products or any other demonstrative challenge. I was up against local media telling everybody, hey, right Aid is closing fifty stores in this neighborhood. Right, it's closing ten stores in this neighborhood, and just the word of mouth that right Aid was starting to close stores to right size their footprint. So all of a sudden, my challenge became, how do I compete against word of mouth for people just trying to manage their retail health needs? And these are people who have come to the store for ten twenty thirty years hearing from their local news stations or their local newsletters that a store near them is closing, not knowing if that means that store or the entire company is closing. So from a marketing perspective, instead of doing what most chief marketing officers do, which our large ad spends or big campaigns, we really needed to look inward at how we could find what differentiates us and why would our customers stay with us? What makes us special? Why do we deserve to still win their business and be able to serve them. And what we found was the answer was with our store associates and pharmacists. It wasn't with me, it wasn't with my marketing team, it wasn't with the ad agency. It was really coming from the front lines. And that really told the story the message where you know, our store associates in the front of the store and in the pharmacy truly care about their customers so much so that people come in to talk to them. And as a result, we've been able to create a series of commercials and other advertisements that have spoken to the hearts of our customers. And that's really what a chief marketing officer needs to do.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting that the example that you've given comes back to that customer relationship and that narrative at the front line, and what you were up against was the word of mouth. But you had to get ahead of the game by being smart exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Interesting, I love it because for me, it's all about that communication tool and it's about arming people with the right information because if you get the wrong information out there, it can be so damaging to a brand. So how do you measure the success of that.
Speaker 2: You know, what I look at and I've always looked at as success metrics for any initiative that we're doing, is two things. You know, your brand strength, what is your customer seeing, What are you seeing, whether it's in your net promoter score or whether it's in surveys that you're doing, And most of all, the bottom line of the business. You know, I learned a long time ago if you're going to be a successful chief marketing officer, you need to speak the language of the CFO, the CEO and the board and what they care about are results. So if what you're doing moves the bottom line, you're doing in a great job.
Speaker 1: Now, there's so many different innovative ways as marketers that we can work today, you know, And there's so many different strategies and runways. And you know what right now is the heartbeat of a marketing strategy because I know we can go into AI, which is obviously a really great tool for your team. Right it's cutting cost, but you've got to actually add in the right information to get the results. What are some of the key things that you would put into a marketing strategy to build a brand for sale right now.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you need to really whether you're using AI or whether you're doing it the traditional way that you and I have done in our entire careers. It really starts with what the company's mission and strategy is. Is the company looking to grow? How are they looking to grow? What do they want to be known for? And that should be led by the board and the CEO. Once you have that mission, then the marketing leader can look at that and create brief And you need to identify who your audience is going to be right now, especially with AI, and especially with all of the social tools and influencers that are out there, it is very tempting to look towards aspirational customers, especially on social, which are millennials and Gen Z who you need to get and you need to engage. But you need to ask yourself, are those people going to drive the bottom line results of the business or is it a parallel path where you're driving your current shoppers and transitioning to find a way to grow a brand with a new market. And I think that's really important. So when you talk about AI, and I was just on a call earlier today talking about the right engineering prompts to get AI to give you the right results and deliverables and recommendations. It really comes down to metrics. So you need to understand what your metrics are, where your margin is, what's allowable, and what are the most effective ways to get there. Put that into a measurement thought form, whether it's something like IPSOS or anything else, and then test and learn your way and never stop testing, never stop innovating, never stop challenging yourself, and always find a way to drive results. I mean, we've been able in the last year at my current company to drive an eighty percent increase in return on AdSpend and a forty two percent increase in ROI simply because we've been able to optimize the channels that we're leveraging in the messages that go out to those customers.
Speaker 1: That's an absolutely outstanding result. How did you do that? How did you optimize those channels? Like said to the because I know when we were launching global brands into Australia we had incredible results, but we did not have the tech stax or you know, the measuring skills back in those days. It was all just based on gut feel and brand identity. And communication. But now we're armed with so many amazing tools share with us.
Speaker 2: How did you achieve that? Yeah? You know what I mean. Look when when you and I were at our agencies and you had the Don Draper's and the David Ogilvie's of the world saying you know, fifty percent of your advertising works, nobody knows what fifty percent that is. That was true back then, and it was a lot of gut reaction. Now today, you know, I'm a huge fan of data and metrics, and when you look at a media mixed modeling tool like in ipsos or other tools that are out there that can take feeds from all of the platforms that you're using and build in other factors, other variance factors in my case, staffing or you know, sales per square foot since I'm in retail, or other factors merchandise availability that play a role into the effectiveness of any marketing campaign you're doing. You can start with the baseline and that is truly where you have to start. And I'm going to tell you you know, look, the results we got in the first year were simply because we started measuring across our media mix and we started to realize what's working and what seemed like it should work didn't show up so well when you're looking at the margin results at the end of the day, and we just started to move dollars around. And I will say this, and I say this to everybody that I talked to. I was blown away to see how powerful in our case, TV commercials were for driving vaccines and driving people into the pharmacy. Because I would not have guessed that it would have driven such a strong response. But for our business where it is, and the media that we're running and the job we need to do, it makes sense. If I walked into another company tomorrow, no guarantees that TV is going to work anywhere in the same facet. So you know, I'm a big fan of getting you know, as many test results in as you can and letting the data speak for you. But I will say the other point is you've got to gather trust among your team, and you've got to You've got to prime them to be ready to innovate and not be afraid to take chances, because so many times people you know, feel like they're measured on what their job is and if their performance in their role is not effective they could be at risk to not get a raise or a bonus or lose their job. And in the cases of anybody that I've worked with, people know that that's not the case. I want you to fail because now we know where we can fix things. If everything's perfect, you don't need me or anybody marketing. You can do it on your own.
Speaker 1: That is amazing.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I want to know where you fail so that we can fix things, because rather than having that mindset of like I'm going to be kicked out of the business, it's go to your team leader and say this is not working.
Speaker 2: How can we fix it. I have yet to meet a CEO who is upset when you go to them and say, hey, I realized this wasn't working, so here's what we're doing instead, and then you demonstrate better results. It is a CEO's dream, it's a board's dream. It is the expectation, and that's how it needs to be portrayed throughout the entire organization.
Speaker 1: So this is a really powerful part of the conversation because at what point do you know that a campaign is failing.
Speaker 2: That is a great question to know when a campaign is failing. The first thing you do is you need to start out with your success metrics. That's pretty basic. Everybody knows that. The second thing you need to do, and this is what nobody almost nobody does, is I call it buffaloing a project. But what it means is you have your metrics this campaign is successful, we'll drive X million dollars in revenue. Fine, you then need to go to every ELT or executive team member and ask them, if this campaign is successful, what's it going to do for your team? And when I was at a company, a prior company, we were about to launch a big brand campaign, and I went to the head of legal and I said, if this brand campaign successful, what's it going to mean to the legal team. And after he looked at me like I was crazy, because why would anybody in marketing ask legal that question? He thought about it and a couple days later he came back and he said, you know, if you do this effectively, I'm going to have less red lines when I get agreements in because the level of trust is going to be higher. If I get that level of trust to be higher, then my team can work on more projects, and you're going to increase the legal team's effectiveness and efficiency by about fifteen percent, and that became one of our success metrics before the campaign launched, and we use those across the board. We got them from every group. How do we know if a campaign wasn't successful, if it wasn't hitting any or all of those success metrics, So the success is not The success at the end of the day, is about money, but success of a campaign along the way could be about the impact it has on the business, because something that marketers often do not consider is the effect they're having on the rest of the business. And when they're building business cases, they often don't say, if this campaign works, I'm going to create ten percent less cost in the customer service team because we'll get less complaint calls. I'm going to increase productivity on the legal team by fifteen percent because they'll have less redlines and be able to handle more incoming work. And that's so important when you're running a big brand or even a small brand. It works really well with startups too.
Speaker 1: It's very rare that I speak to someone who asks those questions because normally it's about the report to the board.
Speaker 2: The report to the board is important, but if the entire company isn't performing there's not going to be a board and report too, because you're not meeting your goals and everybody's in this together.
Speaker 1: It's exactly right now. How have you built your own personal brand? Because you've worked for some exceptional companies in your career, how important is it for you to have the right digital footprint?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. If if I knew what the right digital footprint was and I could master that for my personal brand, and I would be beyond thrilled. I am the proverbial Hugh Cobbler's child. I can build anybody else's brand, I can build any business brand, but when it comes to my own, I questioned myself on what I am. But what I've done is I decided that I want to be an authentic person and I want to be the same person when I come to work that I am at home. And back when I was first growing my career, that wasn't the case for women in the workplace. You never talked about your personal life, your children, if you had them, if you didn't have them. You came in and in work you were one person, an executive, and then outside of work you could be whatever you wanted. I felt as an executive at work. I wanted people to know that I'm also a regular person. When I grew up, my dad was a very well known executive in his field, and whenever I saw him, he was a nerdy little dad who wore his socks too high on his knees and picked out bad fast, and that always stayed with me as I was in my career, and anytime i'd see a CEO or be in front of a board, I think, I'll bet you they're all nerds when they go home too, and their kids make fun of them and they tell funny dad jokes and mom jokes, and so I thought, wouldn't it be great if the rest of the world could see that executives are regular people too. So authenticity and that relatability has always been key, and so I try to bring that across, especially in my digital footprint, sharing pictures of me at work but also me at home. And I have a pet Bunny just you know. A couple days ago on my Instagram, it was about Charlie working with me, and I got to say, Charlie got more likes on TikTok than I do, so I'm going to question that one later. But you know. I think it's really important, especially for aspiring young professionals, to know that it's not only okay to be yourself, you have to be your authentic self and that helps build your brand organically because you then get portrayed in a much more authentic light than being seen as something else and competing with others. And you also started your.
Speaker 1: Own TV show I Lived Off with Danny, which I absolutely love and I found from Australia Organic Clay where you interview other people. Why did you decide to do that when you've got a full time role.
Speaker 2: Sola's backwards. So I had a full time role, I had the opportunity to start the show. I thought, you know, there's TV shows about work. There's a lot of business shows out there, there's TV shows about lifestyle, there's a lot of talk shows out there. But when do you get to see a business executive that's also admitting that they're challenged with the day to day challenges that everybody else has that we all have, like what food should I cook? Where should I plan a vacation? Oh my gosh, should I wear my hair like Mariah Carey wears her hair? Is that going to make me look better when I go out somewhere, like, how do I feel great about myself? You know? So I wanted to create a show that would help people both personally and professionally. And I'll tell you there's a woman, her name's Marjorie had Did, and she was on the show as a guest. She was a PR expert and she wrote a book called The Power of PR Parenting, and her book was She's this great crisis PR person. And her kids said to her, mom, why don't you just use what you learn at work when we have crisises as children at home? And she's like, oh my god. As executives, we get trained on all of these things in business and we use them at home. Why can't we do it? So I thought, wouldn't it be amazing to have a show where I could just inspire people to make the most out of every day of their life. So I actually retired from business completely to start the show that was going to be my thing. And then I had the opportunity to work with write Aid and it was such a fantastic opportunity that, you know, I was able to pursue both and I don't regret either decision. They're both amazing entities and for me to actually leverage a lot of what I learned from the guests that are on Lift into the business side of Write eight and it's pretty fun. I'm learning so much about AI and financial strategies and just how to be a better leader. Kevin O'Leary was on talking about entrepreneurship and business and you just get inspired and it's great. So I think it's a great compliment.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic and I always I like podcasts is such a great platform. TV is such a great platform because you do meet the most interesting people and it does, like you say, it helps you narity moving forward. Now, what's your next powerful step?
Speaker 2: My next powerful step is gosh distribution of the TV show, which we're working on some really great distribution opportunities. I was so excited when TV started running the show, and also Apple TV in Australia has the show, which was amazing. So, you know, I love finding these incredible interviews. I love finding people. It's such a it's short form. You know, I've got this unbelievably amazing, incredible woman who's going to be on this show. She's a powerful woman from Australia. You might know her, so everyone should tune into that episode. Her name's Tory, and she inspires us all and talks to us about our personal brand. But you know what, I can have these conversations and share them with so many people. That really excites me. So I think my next powerful step is to take the messages that I've been able to gather from everyone that's been on the show and continue to share those more broadly to inspire others. And I absolutely love it when people find the show organically and call me up or see me somewhere and say, because of you, I did this. My craziest story is I was in Saint Martin last summer and my husband's birthday. We had a chef because we had a house with a number of friends, so we got a chef to come in for the night. Didn't know her at all in Saint Martin. I live in New Jersey. And the woman came in and she was almost in tears and said, can I have your autograph? And I thought one of our friends just set her up as a joke, like, you know, make me feel better about the show, And she said, I found you. I found you online and because of you, you inspired me. To be a caterer, and I've started this business and it's succeeding, and I can't believe I have a chance to meet you. And I was in tears. She was in tears, I like everybody was, like it was just the craziest thing, and I would have never expected that. But you know, when you can help inspire someone's dreams and help get them to the next level, you're doing the right thing. And I'm a huge believer in paying it forward. So you know that's my next powerful step is to continue to pay it forward. I absolutely love that.
Speaker 1: And I always say when you share your wisdom, you never ever know how it's going to touch another. And that is such a great way to sign off. Thank you so much for taking a powerful step with us, Jennie.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me on. I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: Thank you for being here with me today. I trust that you enjoyed listening to yet another powerful story. Sometimes we can forget just how incredible we are as women and how important it is to support each other. I'd love for you to take a moment to review the podcast and help support the show. You can also take a screenshot of this episode and share it across your social media, be sure to tag me so that I can give you a shout out too. I'm a true believer of women supporting women, and I look forward to connecting with you again soon. Much love, Torri,