Speaker 1: This is Business Now with Edward Boyd, Hi and welcome to Business Now. Thanks to your company today. I'm Edward Boyd. Coming up on the program. Tesla Shar's tank. After CEO Elon Musk has a public falling out with the US President Donald Trump. Their relationship appears to have totally imploded. More on that in just a second. Leading financial services policy group has released new data showing the full impact of the proposed superranuation tax on different cohorts of Australians. Blake Briggs, the CEO of the Financial Services Council, is up shortly.
Speaker 2: Plus we'll preview the top property.
Speaker 1: Is going to auction this weekend with Angus Moore from Aria Group. All that and more coming up on today's show. Other stories today you should know about. Let's go to the top story here. Tesla shares have plunged after CEO Elon Musk's public falling out with the US President Donald Trump. Now the shares dropped more than fourteen percent today, shedding about one hundred fifty two billion US dollars in value. Less than a week ago, Trump hosted a farewell press conference in the White House for Musk, thanking him for his work as the leader of the cost cutting group called DOGE. Since then, Musk has criticized Trump's cornerstone economic policy called the Big Beautiful Bill. Trump has hit back, and the bromance has quickly deteriorated into mud slinging between the two men on their own social media channels. Trump is threatening to remove the lucrative government subsidies and contracts that Musk receives in his businesses like Tesla and SpaceX. At the same time, Musk says he won the election for Trump and made some claims about Trump's supposed association with sex abuser Jeffrey Epstein. Those are unfounded. Here's President Trump speaking earlier.
Speaker 3: He knew every aspect of this bill. He knew it better than almost anybody, and he never had a problem until right after he left. And if you saw these statements he made about me, which I'm sure you can get very easily, it's very fresh on tape. He said the most beautiful things about me, and he hasn't said bad about me personally, but I'm sure that'll be next. But I'm very disappointed, Innil, and I've helped you learn a lot.
Speaker 1: Moving on Australia's employment market, shared jobs outside of the pandemic for the first time since twenty sixteen, the AI Group said today following some detail quarterly employment data that was released by the Bureau of Stats, the Employer Group said the private sector, which accounts for two thirds of employment, has seen negligible job creation in the past two years. It says government supported employment in the public and non market sectors is.
Speaker 2: Responsible for almost all jobs growth.
Speaker 1: AI Group Chief executive in As Willick says this is the evidence the private sector is not firing. The research shows the non market private sector, which includes jobs in healthcare, sure, childcare, age care, and the NDIS, have boomed since the pandemic started in twenty twenty, while private sector jobs have flat lined. Willicks says the government can no longer hope a private sector recovery will materialize on its own.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The top news story this week, with thirty five thousand mentions across print, radio, TV and online, was Elon Musk's departure from the White House that we're just speaking about. In second place was Australia's bid for an exemption on the US tariffs. Next up was a piece on the killing of the Hummas chief Muhammad Sinwa In fourth place was Kiev's retaliation against Russia, followed by a story on Australia's defense spending. Now, the top news story in the finance sector was on rest Supers staff survey suggesting poor staff morale. His second place was a piece on oz Super's alleged fees for no service failure. Next up was the PM leaving the door Ajar on a super tax promise. In fourth place was a hit piece on the Treasury and rounding out the list was a story on the Treasurer declaring he will not negotiate with the Coalition on.
Speaker 2: The superannuation tax reforms.
Speaker 1: Well, let's see how the stock market finished up this Friday local market. It opened flat this morning before slipping away in the afternoon. Energy stocks and industrials lifted. Tech companies and the banks were sold off today. The market finished the day down point three percent. Top performers included the fiber cement maker James Hardy, the airline Quantus up three and a half percent, white Haven Coal big coal producer, up strongly as well. The pesticides manufacturer New Farm was one of the best industrials, and the fund managed Perpetual up just one point three odd percent now losing value. Tech stock and data intelligence company Ewick's was the worst of the bunch, down six point one two percent.
Speaker 2: A lot of mining stocks were sold off.
Speaker 1: Today as well after prices since share prices lifted earlier in the week. The lithium companies Pilgrim Minerals and Igo dropped, the gold miner Regis Long, the gold sector was down, and the mineral sands minor Iluca Resources off about three point eight percent.
Speaker 2: It's been revealed more than four hundred.
Speaker 1: And thirty thousand Australians could avoid being affected by Labour's superranuation tax changes if the three million dollars threshold is indexed in line with inflation. Figures show half a million people could end up paying a higher concessional tax rate by the time they reach retirement. Now, the Financial Services Council projects around sixty four thousand people will be affected by the tax increase if the threshold is indexed at two and a half percent. Join me now is Blake Briggs, the CEO of the Financial Services Council. Blake, thanks for your time. Just explain to me the modeling you've done and why it's so important to index these proposed tax changes.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: What the Financial Services Counselor has looked at is the different impact under different scenarios on a whole range of age cohorts of Australians and what it makes really clear is the tax design as it currently stands is very unfair for future generations of Australian younger people in the workforce. Today. As you outlined at the start, half a million people would be captured under Labour's current proposal, far more than the eighty thousand and the Treasurer Jim Chalmers talks about when he sprooks his tax but if they move to other options, such as through negotiations with the Greens, far more people could be caught over the course of the next twenty or thirty years. And this is underpinning the argument that the indexation really needs to be applied to the tax design and the government needs to be having a conversation with industry about how to do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Green's proposal is to tax super accounts from two million dollars, not three, So just talk us through that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's actually there's a clear difference here between what the Greens are proposing and what Labour currently stands at You're right, the Greens are proposing moving it down to the two million dollar mark, but they also propose indexient for all the right reasons, and so if you look at that over time, it's very very much more a transparent measure targeting the cohort people that they believe have enough wealth to be captured by this, but then by indexient you remain targeted at that cohort over the next ten twenty years. However, Labor's saying, well, we'll bring it at three million, because who's really going to complain about people with me with more than three million getting taxed. But by not indexing it, they're going to capture more and more people over the future, and so it's actually much sneaky a way of trying to expand the tax net. Whilst you know, quite strangely, perhaps some of your viewers, the Greens are being a lot more transparent about who they think should be captured and why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a funny one.
Speaker 1: We've heard treasure chem charmers defending this a lot recently, particularly this week when the GDP numbers came out. There was a forty five minute long press conference about it. But basically how he basically said, this policy was announced more than two years ago. What has consultation been like with the industry over this policy over the past two years.
Speaker 4: Well, look, I think this measure got announced after the Treasurer flew some kites a couple of years ago and the debate got away from him, and so the three million dollar number really got grabbed out of thin air in order to bring an end to that debate, and Labor said, Okay, our policy is this three million dollar policy, and then Treasury was sent away to design how is that actually going to work? Look, there was a consultation process, but the proof that the most of the industry feedback was just ignored or disregarded is the fact that the final design of the tax is very much the one the Treasurer announced several years ago. And so you know, if they're genuine that they actually listen to feedback and are taking a consultative approach to this second term of government, I don't think pushing ahead with the current design is the way to show that that's how they intend to govern in this term of parliament.
Speaker 1: All right, And one of the modeling things you did look at was the negotiated outcome, So three million dollars tax but index So just talk us through why that is a better result.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: If three million is the right number the treasure wants to hold on to, and then indexation is part of it. What it ensures is the Australians with around that wealth in perpetuity will continue to be caught by the tax. Now, the net result of that is we end up with a number much closer to the actual original eighty thousand the treasurer talking about, rather than the five hundred thousand who would be caught without indexation. However, if you look at some of the other options, for example, the Greens are talking about the two million, but if Labour insisted on not index yet, but gave the Greens the two million dollar threshold that they're asking for, you end up with one point eight million Australians being caught by this. One point million Australians who are currently in the workforce would be caught at some point during their life. It really shows how important the indexation part is to this overall debate, and we're glad it's getting this attention.
Speaker 1: And Blake, what are your members telling you about this policy?
Speaker 4: What we're hearing really clearly at the moment is the amount of concern from the general community about the impact this is either going to have on them straight up way or will I have on them over the coming years. I don't think it surprises you that most financial advice businesses who have customers and clients are getting a lot of phone calls at the moment, not just trying to understand what can I do about it? And obviously there's all going to be all sorts of changes in people's arrangements, but also the uncertainty am I impacted? Will I be unpacted? What should I be doing about my superannuation? Should I be avoiding contributing more to my super to make sure that I'm not going to be impacted? And so all of those questions are running pretty hot from consumers. Our big concern is a policy and advocacy organization for the industry, is the corrosive impact that has on confidence in the superannuation system if people think the goalposts are going to be moved on them again and again and again over the course of the government's lifetime. Of course, the Treasurer made the promise of no changes to superannuation taxes prior to two elections ago, and this is the result. We have changes now on the table. I think people are concerned that should they be continue to attribute to Super in the same way they always have, or should they be thinking differently about it that delav I'm sorry consumer confidence in our retirement system.
Speaker 2: Thank you, we've run out of time. Thanks for coming on the show.
Speaker 1: Coming up after the break, we'll show you all the top properties set to go under the hammer this weekend and break down all the big property news with Aria Group.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 1: There are about sixteen hundred properties scheduled to be auctioned this week. Sydney will hold about six hundred, Melbourne about four point fifty, Brisbane one hundred and twenty seven, Adelaide ninety three, Camber will hold fifty six. Take a look at the most few properties going to auction this weekend and in New South Wales. The top property is eleven Maidenhair Avenue, Denham Court. In Victoria, the top property is ten Krenya Road, Greensborough. This home in Melbourne's northeast has three beds, two barts and a driveway with lock up.
Speaker 2: Garage out the back.
Speaker 1: The top property in Queensland is seventeen Bethel Street, Carena. This large four better has a massive pool in the backyard, perfect for those hot days. The top property in South Australia is one hundred and two Bow Road, Semi four Park. This home was built in nineteen hundred looks like it's been extended quite a few times since then. The top property in Canberra is seven Moquare Street, none a wall this five better. It's perched on the top of the hill overlooking Canberra. It's got three beds and two parking spots and the most viewed property on the ARIA Group website this week is a giant acreage in Queensland, inland from the Gold Coast near Tambourine Mountain. The address is one hundred and thirty four four mile Lane Boyland. It's a dirt biker's delight with its own custom motocross track. The land is almost forty three acres in size. It borders the freshwater Canungar Creek with unlimited water rights. The home includes four beds, two barts, a giant shed that can fit twenty vehicles. Property includes a forty kilowatt solar system, two giant water tanks, various dams and fenced paddocks. Agents are taking offers on this one right now and for more on property, I caught up with Angus more from Aria Group.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me on ed.
Speaker 5: Obviously, you know, with the long weekend in most states this weekend, it is going to be a little bit quieter in terms of housing market activity. That's not a surprise. It's what we tend to see when there is a long weekend. But if we're kind of looking a bit more broadly across what we're seeing in housing market activity science, you know, obviously we're heading into winter, things are starting to cool down, but it is still relatively busy. The last week of autumn was actually relatively solid and busier than what we saw at the end of autumn last year. Clearance rates, particularly in Melbourne, have been pretty solid. Melbourne's been seeing clearance rates sitting around the mid sixties through much of the back end of autumn, which is.
Speaker 2: Is pretty solid.
Speaker 5: You know, It's not the sort of levels we've been seeing in really really hot housing markets, but it's better than Melbourne's been seeing for some time, where it has been quite a soft market. It seems like Melbourne has really picked things up over the past few months compared to some other parts of Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: Melbourne's a bit of a standout over recent months, and perhaps a standout for different reasons than it has been for the past few years. We had our home price index out for May and what we saw was that home prices across Melbourne zero point eight percent, which is pretty solid growth, and notably for Melbourne, that's its fastest month of growth since twenty twenty one, really quite a long time, and it's kind of important to put it in the context that Melbourne prices are actually still lower than they were in early twenty twenty two before the RBA started raising rates.
Speaker 2: It's seen a.
Speaker 5: Really slow period of prices for Melbourne and for housing markets conditions in Melbourne more broadly, and so the fact that we're starting to see some growth is in some sense a bit overdue. And obviously it's Australia's second largest city by population, could overtake Sydney soon, but it's also one of the most affordable capital cities in the country when you look at the likes of Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. Yeah, exactly right, ed, it's kind of remarkable the fact that we've seen such sluggish growth for Melbourne over the past few years and even really during COVID relative to other parts of the country means home prices median home prices in Melbourne are now lower than basically all other capital cities except for the really small ones like Hobart and Dawen, which is a pretty remarkable statement when you consider that Melbourne is close to our largest city is a very high income city.
Speaker 2: It's not just home prices either.
Speaker 5: Rents in Melbourne haven't been as strong as we've seen in other parts of the country, so rental affordability, while still challenging in Melbourne is a lot better there than it is in other parts of the country.
Speaker 1: Look, this week, the GDP numbers came out. The economy is pretty soft in the first quarter. Could have encourage the RBA to cut rates again and give a bit more I guess positivity to the property market and potentially boost sales over the next few months.
Speaker 5: You'd have to think there's a pretty strong case for another rate cut coming up. You know, the GDP numbers were pretty soft. Notably, consumption was really soft. Household spending. You know, we saw there was some growth that was zero point four percent in the quarter. That's still pretty soft, and it's in an environment in which we've seen pretty sluggish growth in household spending broadly, despite the fact that population has been growing quite strongly. I think, particularly notably, spending on discretionary items, you know, things like takeaway, going out, going to the movies, that sort of thing has actually basically tracked sideways over the past two years, despite population growing over that time, which really points to a pretty challenging environment for households. Maybe not a surprise given what mortgage rates have done, but given that softness, I think that probably makes the case for a further rate cut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just on those numbers, the household savings ratio increased, so people saved a bit of extra money potentially from the first rate cut of this year, but they didn't spend it. They kept that money.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have been seeing a little bit of an increase in the savings rate. Part of the story there is is incomes growing a little bit faster than they had been. We had been seeing disposable incomes falling pretty signate, or real disposable incomes falling pretty significantly for two reasons. One mortgage costs were going up a lot, which was obviously detracting from disposable income, but also the fact that prices and inflation were going up so quickly was also detracting from that. That's starting to turn around now. Inflation is starting to come under control or even is potentially under control now back inside the band and expected to remain there. And mortgat rates in our fall ing, which is going to start improving household budgets. Angus Moore, thanks for coming on the show, pleasure, Thanks for having me Ed. The Vinnie Ceo Sleepout is celebrating its twentieth anniversary on the nineteenth of June. The initiative, which we support here on Sky News, aims to raise awareness of homelessness via fundraising to support the services of the Saint Vincent de Paul Society in New South Wales and one of the longest serving executives who participates in the Sleepout is Paul Nikolau, the executive director of Business Cydney. Paul, thanks for your time, great looking jacket. Just explain your association with this great event.
Speaker 6: Well, firstly, can I thank you ED and Skotte News for supporting venis. They do a great job and The CEO sleep out's been going for twenty years. I am one of the participants. They're over three hundred CEOs who'll be sleeping out on the nineteenth of June, both in Sydney and Newcastle and Woollongong, and we're hoping to raise over three million dollars to help those that are sleeping rough in the streets of our wonderful cities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, obviously it's great to shine a light on just how devastating homelessness can be for so many people. Events like this are just so important, aren't they.
Speaker 2: Oh, they're vital.
Speaker 6: And the great thing about it is we're raising awareness of the need that we need to do something to help our homeless. The City City Council has counted just in Sydney alone around three hundred and forty six people who sleep every night in our city. And a city like ours and a country like ours, we should be able to do more to help our homeless people. And that's why we're getting together all the CEOs as many as we can to go out there and raise money and raise hopefully over three million dollars just in New South Wales alone.
Speaker 1: Well, that would be great. I mean, how many times. Have you personally done it, Paul.
Speaker 6: Well, I've done it five times and thankfully all my friends and supporters and family have supported me, and I've been able to raise over half a million dollars, which is great and you know, if we can get as many people, and I think over the twenty years, over one hundred million dollars has been raised nationally and this is all going to you know, providing crisis accommodation, mental and health services, and it's also helping with food, blankets, clothing and so on. And it's great to see everyone getting together to collaborate, to work together to raise money for this important cause.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we just saw some footage of what it sort of looks like on the screen, But just talk us through on the night.
Speaker 2: What are you given? What keeps you warm? What are you sleeping on?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm just a piece of cardboard. We're not allowed to bring anything like mattresses or anybody that. We can bring our sleeping bags. We can bring some clothing, but I can tell you if I find it and Allly other CEOs find it tough. Can you imagine what the people who are actually sleeping rough on the streets feel? And this is why we're doing it. It's not because you know, we want to put ourselves on television or in the papers or doing social media. We really want to do it because we think and we're passionate about trying to solve this issue of homelessness. I mean, I've always said if we could do it during COVID where no one slept on the streets, we can do it when COVID is not on. And this is why it's important that we work with government, with business community and the general community who raise awareness, raise money, but also advocate to ensure that people who are sleeping rough are being looked after.
Speaker 2: Paul Nicolaut, thanks so much for coming on the show.