Speaker 1: He's an author, podcaster and Western Bulldogs number one fair.
Speaker 2: I thought I would never see the Bulldogs play in a Grand final in my lifetime.
Speaker 1: Star of our screens for years with massive shows like The Glasshouse That Question Everything at Our Faith Grew It You, Ris Jeditally and one of Australia's most prolific standard comedians, with such shows as Philosophy, Free Will and You Guessed It Jagged Little Will suddenly.
Speaker 2: Like Man's Flaming things A Sorry, do you know what man's flaming is? That?
Speaker 1: Sum Now what you're talking about? Will in the Rhino Room until March eight tickets and fringe dicks. Please welcome to the show, Will Anderson.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's rare in your own opening that you get a drop. Yeah, you know that was nice. I felt like I was really at Vegas. That is Squirrell X concert or something. This is real fun.
Speaker 1: So when we do those little preproduced intros, I like to watch people's reaction. I've never seen anyone get around their own intro more than you will.
Speaker 2: I was saying this, actually just say I mean this is one of the rare things they don't tell you about the career in show business is that everyone goes what's it like to be on TV? And you're like, oh, actually, to be honest, that's my job. So like most of the time it's really hard. I'm in meetings, I'm thinking about it in an intellectual sense. But the fun bit of the job is you go into a radio station and someone's gone to so much effort until a summary career and put it to cool music. There's no production level in my actual show that's as good as that. So this is the real thrill of the morning. So if you can't enjoy that, what can you enjoy being it doesn't spark a bit of energy, then what's going on? Also, the funny thing is when you've got little clips that I can't remember ever saying, I'm like that all sounds like me could also could just be AI. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No one is more excited to have you in the studio than our own boy, Andrew Hayes, who has wanted to meet you for a very long time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well I'll followed joy for a long time.
Speaker 3: When you've been around from what and we weren't saying you're about to go in a few times that next year's thirty It's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, next year of these thirty shows that is, and I've been coming here to Adelaide for I think twenty eight of those, I believe, So yeah, it's really fun. Can I just say, have you mentioned to your listeners this might be a secret that I'm not meant to talk about, but you are not broadcasting from a studio at the moment. You're in a makeshift studio. Not a secret.
Speaker 3: You've mentioned it several times every time we stuff up in it's regular.
Speaker 2: So it's a studio, I.
Speaker 1: Can tell you will so much shit has gone wrong that we can't hide the fact we are in a makeshift boardroom.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what I love about you being in a boardroom. I get to tell my favorite of a story that was told to me by Molly Meldrum. So Molly Maldrim was working at a radio station, and it's okay, this is one of the Molly Maldrum stories I can tell on air. But he had a big night. He was he was dejaying all night. He had like a residency at like Heat nightclub in Melbourne or something like that or whatever the equivalent was back in the day, and he would DJ through the night. And then he'd had a pretty big night and he rolls straight into work. It's fair to say he's probably not in the best shape to be on the radio. So the phone is rung in the studio that like, the boss of the company's like, you have got to get him off air right now. So Molly's like, all right, yeah, I've got to get off air. He's like, I've got to go and have a nap, right So he's just like, I've got to go and find somewhere that's quiet to go and have a nap. Now. Molly told me this story, by the way, so I'm not speaking out of school. He went into the boardroom because there was nobody in the boardroom, and he went under the table in the boardroom. This will be a nice place to happen, just seeing feet all around him. They were having a boardroom meeting discussing his future through and they're liked, I don't think it's looked good. You just hear them.
Speaker 1: Well even worse, this little a Kubra.
Speaker 2: Style that is unbelievable. So it's nice to be here in the boardroom. I appreciate you having me. There's no no that.
Speaker 1: I don't think, So all right, go on ask about the Western Bulldog.
Speaker 2: You're bods fan.
Speaker 3: I'm not a Bulldogs fan, but I just love how much of a fan you are. Yes, so I want to know as well. This is this is from a man very on a straight shoot. You've got to see a flag in twenty sixteen. What happens this year? Will if they don't make finals? Do you think you'll have a new coach in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Oh mate, this is not sn What are you doing?
Speaker 2: I want to get that was good? Give us a call now I've got I've got a volcano coming up here.
Speaker 1: You know, funny story He worked with a volcano for about four.
Speaker 3: Years of yes, right, and it regularly was corns v beverage.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for sure. I mean look, here's here's what I will say about the Bulldogs. Is I am of the camp? So there are all sorts of different camps. There are the camp of people are like, oh, yes, the Bulldogs won't make the finals, we're going to have to get rid of the coach. And there's the camp of people who see my team. Can I say this? We won one premiership way back in nineteen fifty four, one right one, the year that television came to Australia was the one time that what we have won a premiership. We had only played in one other in nineteen sixty one up until the point where Luke Benfrey started coaching our club. And since he's been coach of the club, we've won another premiership in twenty sixteen, we've gone to another Grand Final in twenty twenty one. He is the third most successful coach to coach the finals in the competition at the moment, and apparently at the Western Bulldogs we're like, we could do better. When when have we ever done better? Give me any evidence in the last century that we have made a better, better choice than this one. He can literally coach for the next fifty years without making the finals and still be our most successful coach.
Speaker 3: So will if you don't get hired by Luke Grevis himself for the next contract and I don't know what's going.
Speaker 2: On, I'll just go into the meeting like that. I'll tell some facts.
Speaker 1: Have you met him, because from all accounts he is a lovely, lovely, lovely man.
Speaker 2: Now, when he first started coaching, maybe I should get off him for this, But when the first two three years that he was coaching. He used to come to my shows that the Bulldogs would all come down as a group. It is tough for them these days because it's like the comedy festivals, like gather around and that part of it, so it's not as much. But yeah, he used to even come to the show. So yeah, I've definitely met him. Yeah, that's nice. Yeah, I will say the one that twenty six seen, the worst one was eastern Wood was our captain that year, great player, but Bob Murphy was actually our captain and he did his knee in round three and then eastern Wood captain the club and they won the premiership, right, and so yeah, that big famous moment Bob Murphy gets invited up on stage. But my memory and eastern Wood's memory of that night every time he sees me, is that the function afterwards where I see eastern Wood like yeah and like want to give him a hug because he's just won the premiership for the Bulldogs. The only thing I forgot was I was holding a glass of shep and pain in each of my hands, So when I have hugged him, I have literally just pourn two glasses on the back and he brings that up a lot.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is incredible. Okay, Will the show? What can we expect what you're talking about?
Speaker 2: You can't expect anything because it is what you're talking about. Will. It is my completely improvised stand up show, so it's all made up in the room as you go. Just did twelve of them in Perth, completely different show every night, literally made up with the audience in the room. I talk to people. So if you are the sort of person who's nervous about being talked to it a comedy show, just sit in row three. I only ever get past row one, row two. I'll talk to you. But it is also consensual crowd work. That's what I say to them. It is the opposite of primary school rules. If you put your head down, I will not call upon you. You know at primary school that was the if you put your head down, you knew the teacher would ask you. It's the opposite of that. Head down, You're fine, You're safe.
Speaker 1: I so desperately want you to go along to Will show.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I'd be just sitting there marveling that you can do that. Do you have a night where're like I'm not feeling it tonight, or can you just even on those nights, can you flick into a mole and go it's showtime and just feel it.
Speaker 2: I think the most interesting thing of all of doing a lot of them because I've been doing this show for over a decade. Yeah, but this is the first time I've done it as a touring show, so normally to be one off, maybe two or three shows, but special events to do it. So the idea of doing it every single night means that you have to work out a way to make every single night very exciting. And the truth of it is that no, because you need to go what's next? What am I going to do next? It's actually more engaging than doing your regular show because there is a chance in your regular show that you can get into a groove with it and you could be two or three minutes forward and kind of go. I haven't really been concentrating it on what has been going on, Like the words have been coming out in the right order and everything's going fine, But I've really been thinking about whether I'm going to get it at a bow in the gardens after the show, not about at the end of the show a bow bud after the show, and I with this one. You just have to constantly, constantly be thinking, engaging with the show.
Speaker 3: So it's super fun. Oh, it's incredible. Just before we let you go as well, I love how punny your titles are, by the way, and so this is what you're talking about. Will can you take us through what some previous ones and maybe some future shows what they were?
Speaker 2: Well, the first, the first one was I am the Willris. You can still send me an email at the willress at yahoo dot com. I will not I will not receive it, but I've never shut down that email like how that was the first one. The one that I hate is that the first show I ever did was called Diet Life, and then everyone since then has had a will pun. So there's been twenty nine will puns and one not will punt that annoys me so much. But there's a few that I've never used. Triumph of the Will is a good name for a show, but Triumph of the Will was that horrible book by the Nazis. So that's not about associate yourself. That girl's gone. Will that couldn't do that way? Will that will?
Speaker 1: You had a couple up your sleep?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I'm not sure if you're going out like, there's what about kill Will Volume one?
Speaker 2: You will love done? Have you? It's already done. It's a good one. That's a good and the title was the poster was really good. It had that yellow sort of theme in the same way as the post that it was good. I knew it was. I knew it was too good to be by.
Speaker 1: Kick on that for forty five minutes.
Speaker 2: I don't know what done it? Well, hey, I haven't done part two. Kill some as well. You've got clean will of health? Yeah, yeah, well I'm saving a few for the end, like terminally Will and Last Will and Testament. So I think that's clean Willow Health will fit in today timeline to Will a Mockingboard's Will a Mockingbird. I like it's just too big for a poster, but it's a good I think it's a good title. Everyone's favorite ice cream Bubblo Will, No, no, hang on, I got to be honest with you, Bubbalo Will. I'm not sure that's on the list. I feel like it's rare. You've just seen something because up until this point you're experiencing what everyone experiences when everyone brings this topic up and has done for the last twenty five years, since they know this, there was a pattern me patronizing it. Oh, yes, that is original. I've never heard that before. I've got to be honest with you. Bubblo Will. That's good too. Maybe with a poster with a little gum on my nose.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is so hard to bite into.
Speaker 2: Yes, break your teeth. Yeah, that's good. All right, I'll arrange it my own ice creams, maybe to sell afterwards. What you're talking about, Will is on the right around. I like this.
Speaker 1: It says here on the sheet one other venue. What does that even mean?
Speaker 2: Howling our on Sundays for accessibility.
Speaker 3: Say absolutely outstanding and like we just discovered as well, any get something new every night? You could watch Will Anderson night after night after night, and you did a new show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Some people do come back, which I love. But if you come back, don't sit in the front row again. It's not already talk to you Will always a pleasure. Thank you so much for coming in.