Speaker 1: Approache Production, Episode one, Foxes and Ghosts. What do You Secret Now? As a teenager, I'd love nothing more than hanging out with my mates on the weekend, and as daytime to night, we'd do our best to scare the crap out of each other. We'd watch scary movies I See Dead People. We'd prank each other by hiding under the beds and around corners, and we'd try and tell all sorts of spooky stories. Most of the time, these stories were fake. They were designed to scare each other. As we got older, we stopped telling these fake spooky stories, and we probably stopped watching those scary movies too. But there was always a few of those stories that weren't made up. Well, at least they didn't seem to be made up. They sounded real because they actually happened. They couldn't be explained. And that's why we created this podcast. It's because I've got one of those very stories, a story that for years I've told at parties over dinner, and have even told it to my own teenage kids in an effort to scare them.
Speaker 2: The next thing, the cats up in the air and out through the bloody curtains. This half is evil.
Speaker 3: Whatever it is, it is an evil out the clothesline. You've got no idea, mate.
Speaker 2: We're like a helicoptersagan off.
Speaker 3: They'll get spinning, spinning, spinning down that far.
Speaker 1: Whenever I've told my story, someone else jumps in with their own story, a story that also gives me the chills. And that's what this show is all about. We want to hear your stories and want to help you tell them to the world. If you've got a story and you want to share it on this podcast, get in touch on Instagram or TikTok at the Chills Pod pod pod. So let's start my story. Actually, it's not just my story. It's the story of my dad and my mum, his brother and sister in law, and my own two brothers. It happened in nineteen seventy nine. I lived in a small seaside country town called Lancelom. It's in Western Australia, about nineteen minutes from Perth. My dad was a fisherman. Like his dad and his brother, he wasn't the sort of bloke that listens to ghost stories. He was a true blue Aussie bloke and that's how I grew up. I had two brothers, one two years younger and one three years older. I was the middle child, and in nineteen seventy nine, I was just nine years old. We lived across a lot of different houses in my nine years in this little town, but the one we were living in nineteen seventy nine was the love last house we ever lived in in that small town. One of my brothers thinks that that house is the reason we moved and that a lot of bad things happened after what happened in that house. But before I get into what happened, let me explain the house. It was a three bedroom small house. Me and my brothers slept in the same room. My older brother had his own single bed, and me and my younger brother slept in bunk beds. I had the choice of the top or bottom bunk because I was the older of the two of us, and of course I chose the top. I've only got a few memories of this house. There's the story I'm about to tell you, and one other key memory. You see, this house was surrounded by bushland. It was just off the main road into Lanceln, and it was a pretty new house. It had only been built a few years before. It was by far one of the nicest houses I'd lived in as a kid. What made this place special was it just out of the back door, which was attached to the kitchen was our backyard. There were no fences, just an old clothes line. The famous Australian hills hoist Larnce Hill, an innovator of practical solutions, saw the market for a revolutionary new rotary clothes line together with his brother in law. It was the round one that if d wasn't watching, we might swing on like a merry go round during the day because we had no fences and we backed onto bushland. One night when we first moved in, we went out of the back door from the kitchen to put the rubbish in the trash and we saw a fox going through our bin. My dad shoot it away, but foxes loved food, and we soon learned that each night this one fox would come back to the back of our house looking for food. Me and my brothers started making it a regular thing. After dinner, we would take our leftovers out the back door in a bowl and leave it for the fox, and then, like clockwork, the fox would come to the bowl and eat our scraps. We love this nightly ritual. My dad and Mum not so much. I think they thought we weren't eating all of our dinner just so we could feed the fox, and they were probably right. I know this doesn't seem like that's spooky so far, but that fox and that back door will be very important in this story. I saw. So important about this story is why what happened happened, and to tell that part of the story. I wanted to chat to my dad. Now he's told me this story in passing, but not in the detail that he went into when I called him one Sunday afternoon to see how he was doing. All right, I'm going to call my dad and see what he remembers. Great ghost story is.
Speaker 2: Well, we went to our another place up there one night, Ronda rub and she said come around. We'll have a say once, and we're living in Livery and courts. The new kids were living there too, and that said man, Mum, she said, don't drink, be sober when you come. So we laid up the grog old day old day and night we went around there so anyway we out come the Widgi board. So that was good. So Ron and knew how to do it, and the candles were going on that, so put down and she said, call back someone, and I called back Joe Hubbard, felt it out, Joe Hubbard. The next thing, she had cats and they were sitting in the window, still at the house. The next thing, the cat up in the air and out through the bloody curtains. All the curtains started going mate, and that was it. And I spoke to someone else about it, said, we then make look, don't get into it, don't even go near it. At its back, he's calling something back that we shouldn't do, you know what I mean? I thought, Oh, my godfather.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So mum and dad had a seance, wijiboard and all that stuff. They would have been in their mid twenties, and for them it was just a bit of fun. But it didn't turn out like that. And what happened next gave me and still gives me the chills. It was a Friday night, a school week had finished and Dad was home for the weekend from his overnights out at sea fishing for crayfish. We had our nightly ritual dinner. Then after dinner we grabbed our leftovers and took it out in the back door for the fox. The fox came and ate and we left, and then me and my two brothers came inside for our showers before we watched some Telly and went to bed. At about eight thirty that Friday night, we were ushered off to bed while Mum and Dad cleaned up and had a beer and a chat in the kitchen. There was nothing really significant about that night. My brothers and I had no idea that a few nights before, Mum and Dad had called on the spirit of a departed friend at a seance. But what I remember next was my dad waking us three boys up angry. It was just after midnight that same night. From memory, he was saying, who's been out the back door to feed the fox? After Mum and I went to bed, us boys were all sound asleep, so when Dad came in, he scared the life out of us, and to be honest, we didn't know what the hell he was on about. He said that the back door was wide open and one of us must have done it. We promised him we hadn't, and he turned off our lights with a grumble, then re locked the back door and Dad went back to bed. I don't know how much longer it was, but it was long enough for all of us three boys to be asleep again when Dad came storming in the room. This time he was even angrier. Which one of you, little so and sos has been outside? Now? I can tell you the language used at the time was far more colorful than what I just used. Then he accused us of going outside, opening the back door and leaving it wide open. We promised, under the threat of a smack, that neither of us went outside. He said that maybe my older brother had slept walk and we said he hadn't. But Dad was angry, and something told me at the time that he had some idea of what was happening, but he didn't want to admit it. Again, Dad locked the back door, turned off our light, closed our door, and went back to bed. We all stayed asleep until the morning. I can't remember which one of us boys woke up first that Saturday morning, but I know it was always a race to get the best spot in front of the TV for Saturday morning cartoons, so it was probably me. As I walked out of our bedroom into the kitchen, I stopped in disbelief the back door that my dad had locked twice the night before, was wide open. There in the middle of the kitchen. Every single pot and pant we owned was taken out of the cupboard and arranged in a circle in the kitchen, the kind of circle that you would create if you were using a widgiboard. We were shit scared. We ran into Mum and Dad's room crying. Dad came out and saw and we expected that we were about to get into massive trouble. But that's not what happened. Dad calmly grabbed us and if you close, and drove us to a nana's house just around the corner. He said we could stay for the weekend and he left.
Speaker 2: Well, mat brig Nanna knew about it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if I told her, and I told the old man, you know what I mean, what was going on?
Speaker 2: Ah? You know, Pal, I said, No, I wasn't Dad. We didn't have a drink, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And that's where I thought the story ended, except, of course, until I spoke to Dad and asked him what happened? What about the what about the saucepans in the kitchen. I remember going into the kitchen and the yeah.
Speaker 2: My yeah, all of them started right on the hid. So anyway, I've only got Michelle who he was in the seances and all that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And he come around and he done some and there's some that he said, what is what it is? You've got something evil in the house and sending it up this half is evil?
Speaker 2: Whatever it is, it is an evil half shure. What can you know, Michelle say?
Speaker 3: He said these prayers and all that, you know, and that never happened again.
Speaker 2: Mate.
Speaker 3: He said it was something there evil in the home. Someone had died there and was coming back.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. All the time.
Speaker 3: I thought, oh I cry, but you know, all the sources and ship. It was just freaked out the whole joint, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 1: We didn't stay in that house so much longer, So we.
Speaker 3: Didn't stay there long after that. I think we moved in. I think we've got it. Went to the greenhouse.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: My older brother thinks that there was some bad Jew in that house and he explained it to me.
Speaker 4: That house, that house is where so many things went wrong, like wanted things like the fox and all that sort of ship, the doors and all that ship would be open. I think sometimes, yeah, you know, unexplained beat Wine Grandpa, but we were sick. He had to meet earth. Uncle Dars went missing that same year, seven or nine, and that's my last year at the primary school in eighty. We moved in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 1: It was true. In nineteen seventy nine my mum's brother went missing on a road roller in Western Australia and it's never been found again. Franken Dolly Carr.
Speaker 3: I still read the last letter they received and their thirty two year old son Dez just before he disappeared with our trades from the main roads work gang on the Great Northern Highway south of Brooms. Eighteen months ago.
Speaker 1: My granddad got sick with cancer and had to move to Perth for treatment. He died a year later, and my brother also had his own issues.
Speaker 4: There's not so many things happened there. It's not only that, but the night before the sports carnival we were doing, we were back in long jump and all that ship knock up on my foot open.
Speaker 1: I'm I didn't have the heart to tell my brother that maybe the ghost wasn't to blame for his cut foot, and maybe it was just glass. I always wanted to know why was Dad so angry the first time he came into our room that night. I thought it was just because that he thought we'd open the back door. But it wasn't that at all. It was what happened that night, just after us boys had gone to bed, while Mom and Dad were sitting in the kitchen clearing up and having a beer.
Speaker 3: Ah, well, we're in all inside, and the next thing, the bloody clothesline out in the back of one.
Speaker 2: Of them ropery hoy, no bullshit.
Speaker 3: Started, no shit, mate, and started spinning like buggery, you know what I mean, just like a helicopter was. And there was no wind, no nothing, no nothing. So then something else freaky happened there with all the sheets on the bloody line and that were gone for the clothesline.
Speaker 2: You've got no idea, mate, It was like a.
Speaker 3: Helicopter biking, not it would just spinning, spinning, spinning down that far.
Speaker 2: It all started that they went to the seance.
Speaker 5: At the other at another house, and all this stuff started happening not long after that, not like the same night, but it was, you know, like a week after that that they went to the sales, and then things started happening.
Speaker 2: Bad news, mate.
Speaker 1: Yeah you don't and you don't believe in any of this sort of shit normally Not normally.
Speaker 2: I don't, but I do now. Might believe me.
Speaker 1: Believe me, you know, if you've got a story that could give us the chills, get in touch on Instagram or TikTok at the Chills Pod. See you next time.