Speaker 1: From The Australian. This is the weekend edition of the Front. I'm Claire Harvey. Sex and the City. There's a show that delivered on its promise plenty of sex in one of the most exciting cities of them all, New York. The appeal of the show was escapist fun, dates, designer shoes, cocktails, frivolous sex, grounded in something bigger, the modern woman's search for meaning in a life where everything was optional, men, marriage, children, and maybe even love. Then came two movies that gave fans a creeping sense something had been lost from the magic formula, and now a whole new series that confirms it. It's called and Just like that. Jessica Hallerin is actually the Australian Chief sportswriter, but she's here today in a different capacity to talk to us about Sex and the City. And just like that, just you are our resident megafan and also our resident critic. I guess tell me when Sex and the City first came out. You and I were in our early twenties. We were out having a lot of sex and drinking a lot of cocktails and having fabulous lives, just like the girls in Manhattan. Why was the original Sex in the City so important culturally.
Speaker 2: It was just this sort of moment in time it being said in New York.
Speaker 1: The women all looked amazing.
Speaker 2: It was just this perfect sort of form of escapism I found. I'd go to a girlfriend's house and we all sit around the TV and drink a ten dollar bottle of wine, and.
Speaker 1: It was a ritual. Everybody was watching it. Have you seen the New York Times style section? You know, I can't handle hard news before noon. There's a beautiful man downtown selling beautiful furniture. We're going Samford a whole afternoon plan with Australian burg. I'm not just going to drop everything to go downtown to see some cute guy. He's straight. I get my purse.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There was a great range of characters too. Even though it was called Sex in the City, their attitudes to sex ranged from the relatively prudish to the completely liberated. And they were a new kind of iteration of the working woman, weren't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, And everybody would sort of sit around and go, oh, are you a Carrie or are you a Miranda? Or you're a Samantha, And it really became a topic of conversation, and they were having these conversations on television that we'd really never heard women speak about before.
Speaker 1: You see, this is why I don't date. The men out there are free. Well, that's completely unfair. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: If a man is over thirty and single, there's something wrong with him.
Speaker 1: It's still winning. They're being weeded out from propagating the species. Okay, what about us, We're just choosing. It was a really groundbreaking series, and it's hit the tone I feel like for the early two thousands in some ways, and became this moment for women in general. It changed fashion too, didn't it. I remember before that I wore little suits from Sports Girl to work, and afterwards it was like, well, you can wear a dress and sneakers and a denim jacket and still be fashionable and professional in fact more so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I remember carry wearing these big flowers at one point, and then everybody started wearing the flowers, I think from Milana Hill here.
Speaker 1: It looked ridiculous that I was mostlessly mocked for attempting a flower in my hair once when I was in my early twenties by one of our stuff. Yeah. So then there were a couple of movies. The TV series ended in two thousand and four, and then twenty and eight and twenty ten there were movies for me. That's when Six and the City started to go downhill. The first movie I liked. I thought that was well put together. The storylines were incredibly believable. But I remember when Sex and the City, the second movie came out, it was just getting widely panned and I thought, oh, it couldn't be that bad. It was terrible. It was absolutely horrendous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Lies of Manali Caming.
Speaker 1: I remember watching, going, what are we watching?
Speaker 2: Little Food?
Speaker 1: They went to the Middle East on an ill fated kind of girls trip. I vividly remember a scene in a marketplace where Samantha was kind of getting pursued by sortied locals, and it just felt kind of racist.
Speaker 2: It just went from being this cleverly written, tightly written franchise to being nothing but a Dog's Breakfast sort of mash up of a musical with just some.
Speaker 1: Really poor storylines. And I don't think it's for covered since. So in twenty twenty one, and just like that, that mood two huge excitement. You know, it was really wonderful to see these women now in their late fifties returning to the screen. But from the very first episode there was disappointment, wasn't there yeah, where we have to go back to?
Speaker 2: Here is this sort of breakdown off screen between Sarah Jessica Parker and King Katrell. One of the main characters, Samantha Jones and her not returning to this franchise and the number of issues sort of bubbling around it, and as to why she's not coming back. Some of the things that have been floated is money. The other reasons was she felt like, why bring Samantha back? Can't we just let these characters go? But I think the biggest problem with this franchise is no Samantha Jones.
Speaker 1: I am heart. I'm also demanding, stubborn, self sufficient and always right in bed, at the office and everywhere else. They've attempted to replace Samantha with a couple of new additions to the quartet, a university professor called Nia and a woman called Lisa Todd Wexley, both women of color who kind of joined the group on the fringes. The Nia character has disappeared after season one of and just like that, whatever, Man, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, Nia just disappeared, Jay disappeared, Miranda's lover. I think what is happening here is that Michael Patrick King, the show runner, the original creator, the chief writer of this is bulldozing ahead with his vision without really stopping to listen to what the people are saying out there, which is they are incredibly disappointed that characters that we originally loved and adored, like say, Miranda, has completely departed from who she is.
Speaker 1: She's a lesbian now yes some of the time.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And she's an alcoholic yes, it was right. Maybe you do have a drinking problem. I don't have a drinking problem. I just got a little carried away. You are married, and you just had sex in my kitchen. I'm unhappy. I'm unhappy. Okay.
Speaker 2: Recently, there was an episode, which is a party episode, which involved Miranda becoming almost like a caricature of herself. She was a bit of a clown. She was wearing this silver jumpsuit and she was overseeing this party for Charlotte, and it really didn't feel like Miranda, and I felt kind of embarrassed for her, and actually.
Speaker 1: Felt embarrassed for the show. Yeah, this is a character who, throughout sex and the city was the hard nosed corporate lawyer who treated her puppy dogish kind of boyfriend quite meanly and didn't really need anyone, and she was hilarious. Now she's extreme, needy, very insecure. She's given up corporate law to work for something that looks like Human Rights Watch. She's lost everything that made her interesting, hasn't she Yeah, she has.
Speaker 2: And so then it also leads to very weird interactions with other characters. And most recently, there was a very contentious scene at the end of an episode which involved Carrie and Miranda having a fight where Miranda is challenging Carrie about her relationship with the writer downstairs, who is a potential new love interest, and it just turns into Carry becoming this horrible, depressed, mean girl. And it was interesting. I was listening to a podcast with Michael Patrick King.
Speaker 1: Hello Lovers, Welcome back to and just like that the Writer's Room the Official.
Speaker 2: And he described that scene as one of his favorite scenes ever, and I just was like, this is the problem.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite scenes of all time. Carrie and Miranda in the kitchen. I've just been reading the entire party scene.
Speaker 2: Can we talk?
Speaker 1: We're not enjoying it.
Speaker 2: I'm now just watching for the clothes, which also aren't as good.
Speaker 1: They aren't as good.
Speaker 2: I mean, Pat Field's not there, so that's also another loss for the franchise.
Speaker 1: Coming up. Did we ask for storylines about age related medical conditions. I went back to the original Sex in the City and watched the whole six seasons. I'd never really focused on them properly. I hadn't watched it all the way through, and I thought, I wonder if actually our sensibilities have changed as a society and it was always kind of bad. Actually it was not bad. It has aged really really well. Apart from the lack of diverse original series, it was great. It wasn't kind of silly and confected like it is now. Yeah, silly and confected. And for the most part, people are now just hate watching it, right, Like, I haven't found anybody that's gone, oh no, it's fantastic, isn't it. One of the things that I find confronting about it is seeing these women older, And you know, this is my issue. I struggle to see the bad plastic surgery they've had, the kind of excessive filler. Although maybe I would also struggle if they hadn't had any plastic surgery or filler. You know, maybe this is like internalized misfortuning. You know what, do you think their faces are significantly changed, all except Miranda.
Speaker 2: I think it's really hard to move on from the early two thousands. I just don't think society has been set up for us to actually look at aging faces like we did. I mean, you know you and I also grew up with the Golden Girls, where forty year olds look like sixty years. But on the whole, I think the way that their addressing aging is interesting but also uncomfortable. Right, The beauty of Sex and the City was we had these four women living in New York, living sort of these fantasy lives. But the fantasy has gone from and just like that, but it's probably become a bit too real in some ways. The closest you got in Sex and the City to a medical issue was when Carrie's diaphram got stuck and Samantha had to retrieve it for her.
Speaker 1: Now and just like that, there's bowel cancer and prostate cancer and people dropping dead and adult and happies. Yeah, it's not very sexy. This episode of the Front was hosted by me Claire Harvey and co produced with Jasper Leigue, who edited the episode and also wrote our theme. Thanks for joining us on the front this week. Our team also includes Kristen Amiot, Leat Sammerglue, Tiffany Dimak, Joshua Burton, and Stephanie Coombs.