Speaker 1: Welcome to the Late Debase. Good evening and welcome to the program.
Speaker 2: I'm back.
Speaker 1: If you are watching an.
Speaker 3: APM, You've got another hour of midnight. I am, of course Cayler Bond, joined by Liz Storer and filling in for James mcway.
Speaker 1: Too much, too much.
Speaker 4: Carlub Bond is barely.
Speaker 3: Enough, exactly exactly the great Kel Richards. That's why we pay him the big market so he can pump the steam up me like that now. The Democrats are so desperate for people to vote early and vote often that in one state they've actually banned voter. ID will tell you about that later in the program. In the papers, one council is going after aggressive dogs halleluliah, I say after dog attacks sword to two a day last year. And the Merriam Whibster Dictionary. What am I saying, Miriam Wibster Dictionary.
Speaker 1: Kel is going to give me a real word.
Speaker 3: Sorry, sorry, I've said to much tonight You're going to get a lot more. The Mirriam Webster Dictionary has added a whole bunch of words. Merriam Webster Dictionary is not one of those words. Donald Trump gets to mention and our wordsmith mister Richards will run us through it later in the show.
Speaker 1: Now look for all my faults.
Speaker 3: I am a member of gen Z, or as Liz likes to say, gen Z. I know mister Richards takes issue with that, and we'll get into that a little further in the program. But a recruiter by the name of Tammy Christophus Bayless has talked to The Daily Mail about the problem with gen Z people trying to get into the workforce.
Speaker 1: And I've got to say, I'm.
Speaker 3: Not surprised by this because as far as I can see, and you know, I am one, I have worked with these people and I see them in everyday life. They were raised in a generation where everyone got a participation middle It didn't matter how well you did in the running race at school, whether you came first or you came tenth, everyone got a pat on the back, and we're it's told they were special and that you were just as good as the other children. Now, when they play in local sports at a young level, there's no scoring. They don't even have ladders or grand finals. They're told that there is no importance in winning or succeeding. And so we are starting to see the results of that, Chrisophus Bayless says, there's a new thing I've got, interview anxiety. The gen Z people say you have to be uncomfortable, she says, to get somewhere, and there's.
Speaker 1: No concept of that.
Speaker 3: They say this isn't my safe space, therefore I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 1: Then they're upset that they don't have a job.
Speaker 3: She goes on to say that young employees are too scared to pick up the phone, first to a potential employer and then to other people once and if they get a job somewhere, I mean, for heaven's say, it's the most efficient way to get anything done. But you might have noticed no one actually picks up the phone these days. She even says that young people are so scared going into job interviews that she, as a recruiter, has seen them bring their parents in with them. I mean, I cannot get over that list. Imagine being so scared to go for a job that you take your parents.
Speaker 1: Into to hold your hand.
Speaker 3: It's a bit like Kamala Harris taking Tim Walsons to hold her hand.
Speaker 1: In that verse interview, she.
Speaker 3: And I mean imagine walking in and thinking that you're going to get a job. If you have to take your bloody parents with you in an old your hand.
Speaker 2: It's a sorry state of affairs, which seems to be the state of play whenever we're talking about gen Z. This is a generation that has been labeled the loneliest generation, the most anxious generation, and here they are just struggling to do simple things.
Speaker 5: Like get a job.
Speaker 2: It's very sad, indeed, but as easy as it is to pay out on them and be like, yeah, there's no flakes and they've been raised, everyone's getting participation awards. There's no real credit for merit nowadays. We've also got to take into account the fact that the kids aren't okay.
Speaker 4: Check out this headline from.
Speaker 2: February in which a report by the Resolution Foundation found that people in their twenties are more likely to be out.
Speaker 1: Of work because of the poor mental health ravaging gen Z.
Speaker 2: It found that, according to this official data, thirty four percent of people aged eighteen to twenty four reported symptoms of mental disorder such as depression, anxiety, m bi polar And we know that this is something that is very prevalent in this particular generation. And I crunched the numbers because this is actually UK data, but it's exactly the same In Australia. One in three gen z report the same experiencing depression, experiencing anxiety, and so something like applying for a job that we would just go, oh, well, that's a rite of passage. Everyone's got to do that. Heck, at fourteen years of age, I was a checkout chick, Like I was front facing, talking to people every day, did all the training, didn't think twice about it. But I'm part of a very blessed generation. I think, the last that grew up without social media, that grew up without these devices attached to us, and this immediacy, immediacy, this competition of constantly competing with our peers and trying to look the coolest and best in every stage of life. And I think that has caught up with this generation. Something chronic and we are we're seeing it manifest, even when it comes to something as basic as a teenager just applying for a job, or early twenties out of UNI just not having the confidence to go for this kind of thing.
Speaker 4: But it's not normal for human beings to be like that.
Speaker 6: Something has happened along the way, because we start off more confident. I was playing table tennis with my four year old grandson today. The rules for four year old table tennessee you take the net away and the ball rolls across the table, and the scoring system is really simple. About every thirty seconds. He shouts hi when and then he was going around. That's the four year old, so I'm the boss. So that's how they start. So what has gone wrong with this? That's just a normal kid. They start off with that sort of confidence. They start off being happy kids. I find it really hard to understand what's gone wrong. Jordan Peterson I think touched a nerve with this generation when he wrote his book International Best Set of twelve Rules for Life, and at the heart of the book he's saying take responsibility. And my concern I've had I had a furious discussion with somewhere on talkback once about this, and I said, you know, you don't need trigger warnings, you don't need safe spaces. All do you need to do is grow up your adults and just take And the key that Jordan Peterson keeps pushing is take responsibility. If you know someone in that age group, they just need to give them a copy of Jordan pages and books for stuff, which is a really good idea.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 6: But this g z, as we say in Australian English, this gen z it was born in from nineteen ninety seven to twenty twelve.
Speaker 4: So it's not a big age group.
Speaker 6: If they're unusually distressed, if something has gone wrong, I'm baffled.
Speaker 3: I think they've had responsibility taken away from them. So part of it goes back to what I was saying before. Everyone gets a participation medal, So there's there is nothing special about anyone. There's no reason to strive for success because success or winning or whatever you want to call it is frowned upon because you know it might hurt someone.
Speaker 4: If they lose.
Speaker 3: Well, losing and learning how to cope with losing is just as important as learning how to win, because out there in the real world you have to deal with losing and difficulty all the time. Other thing is that generationally things have changed. When you were a child, kel it was not unusual for someone to leave school at thirteen, fourteen, fifteen and go off and get a job because they had to put food and money and whatever on the table to support the family. Of course, no one does that anymore because you have to stay in school, which in some ways is a good thing, but it taught people responsibility from a very young age. They had to step up and do something with their lives. And I don't think that exists to the same level anymore. They get molly coddled. Kids don't leave home and go out and fend for themselves until well into their twenties. Now. Part of that is the economic conditions and the fact they can't afford a house and they can't afford a family, et cetera.
Speaker 1: But we are essentially retarding.
Speaker 3: The growth of children to the point where they don't actually grow up until they're nearly thirty.
Speaker 6: So no wonder, no responsibile correct don't give them a correct.
Speaker 3: So no wonder they can't go and get a job because you know, you might have that at fifteen because that was the expected thing to do. But when you stop the growth of a child, well they can't do it until at twenty five now.
Speaker 2: And also let's couple that with the poor educational outcomes that we've also seen across the Western world. Whether it's what do they call them these days, it keeps changing. It's not tee anymore. What's it called now ata ata, the atar scores, etctera and so on. We know that we're doing very badly, thank you. We're failing kids on that score as well. So is it any wonder that even after leaving school, their levels of confidence probably aren't that high in the world of adults. So mix that together with this mental disorder pandemic that we're seeing in gen Z as well as these poor educational outcomes, which we recognize, they're being very poorly equipped for the next phase.
Speaker 3: Of their lives.
Speaker 2: Is it any wonder that they're genuinely too anxious to do some thing that previous generations have thought. We're extremely basic indeed to the US now where on Monday we brought you the extraordinary story of the Biden administration Department of Justice, the Jokes in the name, pursuing the state of Alabama for taking over three thy two hundred illegals off their voter rolls. They don't want them voting in the upcoming election. No illegals should be, but the DOJ is suing Alabama for cleaning up.
Speaker 1: Their voter rolls.
Speaker 2: Well, Governor Newsom in California has decided to take a different tactic today signing into law a ban on asking people for ID to vote. California is one of the fourteen states in America which doesn't require voter ID. He's now banned local governments from requiring it. This was after a vote earlier this year. One council in California took it upon themselves to.
Speaker 1: Take it to a vote.
Speaker 2: What do the people want? Do you want voter ID? Over fifty percent said yes, we do in our patch. Thank you very much. So Governor Newsom, tell me you're not cheating, buddy. Seriously, tell me you're not cheating Democrats. He's now signed into law. Nobody can ask for voter ID now. Of course, this is to cement Democrat control in Democrat run states. This is not the first bill that we've seen of this nature. But no, no, no, they say, this is all in the name of making sure that poorly disenfranchised citizens who clearly don't have the means or brain power to obtain ID but still want to participate in the elections.
Speaker 1: We want to make sure that they're still able to participate.
Speaker 2: This is the argument that we have every time it comes up in Australia, and everyone gets out the smallest violin to say no, no, this is for the disenfranchise. A voter idea would mean that they're not able to vote, but in this instance, it's clearly to make sure that illegals can vote back. In twenty twenty two, California had the most illegal aliens of any other state at one point eight million, So you can imagine how many more they have now after two years, on top of that of a Biden administration that has allowed over ten million illegals across the border.
Speaker 4: There should be voter idea everywhere.
Speaker 6: I mean, even if you don't have a lot of illegals in your state, I'll explain it because you'll probably a bit innocent, don't know how it works.
Speaker 4: I'll explain the how it works.
Speaker 6: What happens is when the electoral role closes, then what they do is no, no, it's what you do.
Speaker 4: You see if you go through.
Speaker 6: All the columns of recent deaths, because they've died after the electoral role closed, so they're not off the roll.
Speaker 4: They're still there. Their name is on them.
Speaker 1: You speak from experience, it sounds like.
Speaker 6: And then you go from booth to booth and you vote under one name and another name and another and there's really no way that can catch you. And you can cast a dozen votes that vote. If you've got a team of organized people who are going around doing that, you'll end up with enough votes to tip some seats.
Speaker 4: So that's the principle that you were talking about.
Speaker 6: Caleb mentioned vote early, vote off, and that is how it actually works. Voter ID is essential in America. They don't have a centralized voting authority like our Australian Electoral Commission. It's done by every say so, there's fifty states, fifty systems. Now there's only fourteen that don't require voter ID, and the fact that Australia doesn't require voter ID is shameful.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can't get over that.
Speaker 3: The argument from the Californian Attorney general, his name is Rob Bonter, and he is driving me bunta with what he has to say.
Speaker 1: There's another word for anity your.
Speaker 3: List he but he says the right to freely cast your vote is the foundation of our democracy. And Huntington Beach's voter ID policy, this is a jurisdiction in California.
Speaker 2: They're the ones where the residents vote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lies in the face of this principle.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you are able to freely cast your vote once you prove who you are and that you are on the electoral role. I mean, I didn't know that the rules included that you must be able to freely cast your vote, which isn't actually your vote, it's someone else's vote because it's done in someone else's name.
Speaker 1: How can anyone argue.
Speaker 3: Against voter ID unless they want people who shouldn't be able to vote to be able to vote. And this argument that's often run about, oh well, you know it'll disenfranchise particularly black people or homeless people, or whatever other minority you want to come up with. Let's take the homeless one as an argument. For instance, most people anywhere in the Western world, even if they are homeless, still get some sort of government benefit, whether that is in the US food stamps or here at some kind of scentillic payment. They're not entirely institute. They just don't have enough money to put a roof over their head, so they come in contact with a system somewhere. And in order to come in contact with a government system somewhere, you need a way to identify yourself so they can give you that money or benefit. So if you're getting a government benefit in some way, you have a form of ID, which is almost every single person on the face of Australia, the US, Great Britain.
Speaker 1: Et cetera.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you can possibly argue against it. I do know how, because you want people to vote who shouldn't vote.
Speaker 1: But like, there's no.
Speaker 4: Liniments and I've persuaded, we're on. We don't need persuade.
Speaker 2: We're on a unity ticket and.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they are at home as I'm glad someone's on a unity ticket with a date now. The vice presidential debate today, what a ripper it was. Jabban wiped the floor with Tim Waltz. He was cool, he was calm, he was collected. He was able to meet every attack that Waltz leveled at him. He was able to meet every attack that the moderators leveled at him, and there were a few of them. I think it really shone through that JD. Evans is not only a great orator, but he's put in the work to front up to the media.
Speaker 1: Particularly the lefty media.
Speaker 3: He knows how to deal with them because he's unafraid to talk to the voters, even those who might disagree with him.
Speaker 1: Unlike Tim Waltz.
Speaker 3: Who's barely done any interviews. He only shows up at occasional rallies. Of course, that interview with Kamala Harris on CNN, he had to be there to hold her hand. You hide them away and you put them in this situation and it doesn't always go well. So Tim Waltz seemed a bit nervous, to the point where he started telling us he was a knucklehead.
Speaker 5: My community knows who I am. They saw where I was at they look. I will be the first to tell you I have poured my heart into my community. I've tried to do the best I can, but I've not been perfect, and I'm a knucklehead at times. My commitment has been from the big to make sure that I'm there for the people, to make sure that I get this right. I will say more than anything. Many times, I will talk a lot. I will get caught up in the rhetoric.
Speaker 3: I'm a knucklehead, I'm from Minnesota, and I am here to help. What a way to sell yourself to the people. And then, of course he's been saying for a long time that he was in China when the Tianamen Square attacks happened, and this formed his view about how important democracy was and how governance should be run. Well, we found out today that he wasn't actually in China when Tianaman Square happened, So of course he was asked about this, and take a listen to the answer. I don't think he quite hits the point.
Speaker 1: Here, Governor.
Speaker 7: Just to follow up on that, the question was can you explain the notrepancy?
Speaker 5: All I said on this was is I got there that summer and misspoke on this, So I will just that's what I've said. So I was in Hong Kong and China during the democracy protest went in and from that I learned a lot of what needed to be in governance.
Speaker 1: He learnt a lot and rich.
Speaker 2: For those of us who actually watched this debate, it was eyewatering bad watching Tim Waltz and the split screen difference that you see between Vance just calls the cucumber. He's got his facts on his side. He's been doing his murder boards, as Kel explained to you last night, prepping for this.
Speaker 1: He is a well oiled machine.
Speaker 2: Didn't once falter and compare that to Waltz, who looked fifty percent terrified, fifty percent confused the entire time, whereas Waltz, sorry not Waltz, Vance took it upon himself to fact check the fact checkers when they.
Speaker 8: Tried it on with him.
Speaker 2: Check out this interaction between himself and the moderators.
Speaker 1: He wasn't letting them get away.
Speaker 9: With any.
Speaker 7: Nice for our viewers. Springfield, Ohio does have a large number of Haitian migrants who have legal status temporary protective Well, thank you, senator.
Speaker 4: We have so much to.
Speaker 1: Get to, Margaret. I think it's important to turn out of the economy. Thanks Margaret.
Speaker 10: The rules were that you got we're going to fact check, and since you're fact checking me, I think it's important to say what's actually going on.
Speaker 2: Vans quite literally gave a masterclass in how to debate. Check Out this point he made on illegal immigrants and the impact that's having on housing in America, where he starts out supposedly agreeing with his opposition, only to flip the tables spectacularly.
Speaker 10: Well, first of all, Tim just said something that I agree with. We don't want to blame immigrants for higher housing prices, but we do want to blame Kamala Harris for letting in millions of illegal aliens into this country, which does drive up costs him twenty five million legal aliens competing with Americans for scarce Holmes is one of the most significant drivers of home prices in the country.
Speaker 2: Is he was just hanging his head at that point, Michael, Oh my goodness, how do I handle this guy? He is steamrolling me. This was a night of redemption for Vance, who has been slammed by the mainstream media, the regime media in America. The charade is over at this point. Anyone who's seen even the smallest clip of this debate knows it was a bloodbath.
Speaker 1: I reckon, I reckon.
Speaker 3: Jd Vance walked out of there tonight singing kill and you know what he was seeing.
Speaker 1: I was dancing with Ma.
Speaker 3: Baby to the tim tim Timothy Wold, because he danced all over him at all level hits.
Speaker 6: In fact, he's contributed to Woods to Worth for saurus three new words for lying.
Speaker 4: If you're a liar, you're not a liar, you're a knucklehead. And you didn't lie, you misspoke, that's it.
Speaker 6: And you just got carried away with the rhetoric, is what he did there. Are two memes that I found on the web today which I found interesting. One meme was describing Vance's displaying blazing intelligence, and.
Speaker 4: I thought that nailed what he did.
Speaker 6: What he is is very well prepared, He's good at debating and that kind of thing. But the man is super smart. He's got to brain the size of a planet.
Speaker 4: That was obviously. The other meme was this.
Speaker 6: Meme that said Barack Obama wanted a vice president more stupid than him, so he chose Joe Biden. Joe Biden wanted a vice president more stupid than him, so he chose Kamala Harris. Kamala Harris wanted a vice presidential hand that more stupid than her, so she chose Tim Waltz. Now I saw that movement, I thought that's really nice and it sums up with.
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 4: Does?
Speaker 3: I have to say, though, as bad And I said this earlier when I was hosting Charry of It as Banners. Waltz was in that he was nervous and Advance kept landing very easy attacks on him. I couldn't help watching that debate and thinking, imagine if these two were the presidential candidates instead of Trump and Harris, Because that debate focused on policy. There was none of this personality clash. It was all about policy, and it felt to me like, you know, American politics for a small moment, was going back to where it should be, which is we're actually talking about the issues in front of us here instead of well, you know, Orange man bad and Carmala's mentally not all there and whatever. They actually got down to brass tacks, which would have been so good to see in the previous debates, but you just didn't get it.
Speaker 1: It felt really civil.
Speaker 2: It did, and it was the moderators had a far easier time with this one than they did with Trump and Kamala's. And it's so simple for Americans to just go, which one of these guys would I want in the situation room at the White House next time a disaster's unfolding. Do you really want that bumbling fall of a Tim Waltz sitting there. I don't even know what he'd be doing with himself, but he certainly wouldn't be calling any shots.
Speaker 4: Can I offer a thought on this?
Speaker 6: People keep saying we won't make any difference, mon't have an impact. I actually think it might. The reason is, as I said last night, he vancied to show himself as presidential forty years old. But if something happened to Trump, he could step behind the resolute desk and he could do the job. And when you saw that in that debate, you thought he's presidential. If he's behind the resolute desk. I'm not going to be worried. What that will do is it won't change people's minds, But I think it might get people out to vote. Those people who thought, well, we quite like Trump to win. We think he's okay, now think this is a great team. And because voting is optional in America, you don't have to vote, it motivates them to leave the House and actually go to vote. So I think by motivating the people who are on site to really vote, not just think about it, it actually might make a difference.
Speaker 2: Well hopefully it will also make a difference in the regime.
Speaker 1: Low info bot.
Speaker 2: Means the three media in America who has been paying out on Vance NonStop since Trump named him as his VP pick.
Speaker 1: Check this out.
Speaker 2: More than seventy percent of Washington.
Speaker 1: Post's coverage of JD.
Speaker 2: Vance has been negative, just one percent is positive. The article goes on to say from August sixth to September thirty, a whopping seventy one percent of the post's content was negative. According to its online search results, just one point four percent was positive, while roughly twenty eight percent was neutral. The search results included news reports, opinion pieces, political cartoons, videos, and podcast links spanning from when his Democratic rival, Minnesota Governor Tim Waltz was tapped by Vice President Kamanala Harris as her running mate. Negative results include unflattering reports about the candidate. They have been absolutely scathing advance since day one. Anyone who was going to be Trump's pick was of course going to be raked over the calls in every direction possible by the regime media. I'm wondering what we're going to see now after such a blatant display of whose superior intellectually, countenance wise ticked all the boxes while Waltz was all over the place. This is what we saw after the Trump Kamala debate, only they still opted with Kamala. Trump gave them a few good reasons to do so this one. There's no reasons to now wax lyrical about how incredible a VP Tim Waltz would make.
Speaker 6: Yep, can I I've been trying to work through this because I think I struggling with this. They publish in Washington. Washington is a public service town. That means it's left wing. They vote for left wing governments because left wing governments employ more public servants. Canberra is the same. It's desperately left wing, always will be out of step with the rest of Australia because they want to vote for governments will employ more public servants. So that's where the population of Washington is. And these people have to sell newspapers and that's who There is another newspaper and it's more right wing and it sells fore your copies. So I'm trying to work through if a paper takes a particular editorial stance and so we're going to bash this person, we're going to support this candidate. Can they do it as long as they're upfront about it, saying this is our position.
Speaker 3: Well, you do generally know, I mean, most newspapers have a particular editorial bent and you sort of know what you're in for. But I think it was pretty broad across the US media that when Vance was chosen, they kind of went after him, certainly tried to attack him on his previous comedy he'd made about Donald Trump, which I think he's quite eloquently explained and well married lady, but I mean unmarried for even say, who cares?
Speaker 1: He's bloody right about that? I say that as an unmarried man who owns cats.
Speaker 4: But anyway, but.
Speaker 3: You know, they went after him on that, and he batted all that away and said, well, the man's allowed to change his mind, and he has. It is extraordinary though that the with how will he did today, they will have to dig their heels in even further if they want to hope that they can bring jd. Vance down, because I don't think it's so much now about whether jd Vance ends up as vice president, because that's much more about Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Right, It's just a foregone conclusion.
Speaker 3: If Trump is elected, will of course Jade Vance is going to be the vice president. What they'll really be worried about, the Democrats is in twenty twenty eight, when the Republicans are looking for a candidate JD. Vance, after today's performance, you'd have to think would be a war cup chance of getting it.
Speaker 1: And that's what they'll have to do.
Speaker 3: That's what the media will now have to start fighting against. Because I reckon he would be unassailable if you put him up against most people in the Democratic Party, and even the lefty media in the US today was all saying CNNMSNBC lost their mind over it.
Speaker 1: I mean they were all saying that that Vance.
Speaker 3: Won Advance as a South Australia to say Vance, but his name is Vance.
Speaker 1: So I will accede to that.
Speaker 4: I will a seed to that.
Speaker 3: But they were all saying he won it. There's nowhere for them to hide from it anywhere.
Speaker 2: Indeed, well, staying in the States, Elon Musk is coming to the rescue. After Hurricane Helene has ravaged six states across the southeast of America. It has taken out a lot of the communications. The cellular networks have been damaged, leaving thousands without a means of communicating with each other, which is why we understand over six hundred people are still unaccounted for. They simply can't make contact. There's no way to do it without a cellular network. So Elon Musk is coming to the rescue, sending thirty of his starlinks, which essentially use orbiting satellites instead of brown based networks, to give these people broadband connection so that they can get in touch with their loved ones, let them know they're okay, let them know where they are if they need help, how they can be contacted. Elon Musk has tweeted since the Hurricane Helene disaster, SpaceX has sent as many Starlink terminals as possible to help areas in need. Earlier today, Donald Trump alerted me to additional people who need Starlik internet in North Carolina. We are sending them terminals right away. Now. The Biden administration is trying to take credit for this, saying but this was their doing, and they're helping out those people, particularly in North Carolina, as soon as possible by these Stylink connections.
Speaker 8: We're also very focused on restoring communications capabilities. FEMA, the FCC, and private telecommunications providers are working together to help restore temporary communications as quickly as possible by establishing temporary cell sites and allowing for roaming where possible, where a resident can connect to any network available, even if they aren't subscribed to that network. Today, FEMA will install thirty Starlink receivers in western North Carolina to provide immediate connectivity for those in greatest need, but the.
Speaker 2: Good public on Elon Musk's platform, X were making it very clear to everyone that had the FCC not scuppered plans back in twenty twenty two for Elon to roll out these Starlink connections, this would never have happened. Alex tweets for your information, North Carolina, which has been hit especially the hardest by this hurricane, would have nineteen thousand, five hundred and twenty two working Starlink kits available today after Hurricane Helene. Had the FCC not revoked in bad faith the grant that was awarded to SpaceX as the winning bidder, Alex attached this graphic as proof that yes, indeed, the FCC had awarded this to Starlink and then changed their minds. Now they were accused at the time of doing this for political reasons. Elon Musk himself called it quote contemptible political law.
Speaker 1: Fare end quote.
Speaker 2: The FCC deny this, of course, but then they've recently shown themselves to play favorites, ignoring the.
Speaker 1: Law in their own rules.
Speaker 2: To let George Soros snaffle up two hundred and twenty radio stations before this election wasn't really legal by any standards, but because he's the biggest Democrat donor. You're not going to say no to George Soris when he comes knocking, are UFCC.
Speaker 1: So they've got egg all over.
Speaker 2: Their face now, especially given they denied this to an area that is prone to natural disasters like what we've just seen ravage these.
Speaker 6: The FCC, for people who don't know, is the Federal Communications Commission. The equivalent in Austrolia is called AKMA, Australian Communications and Media Authority, and both of them are meant to be independent, and that's their defense.
Speaker 4: We're an independent body.
Speaker 6: We're set up by the government, we're funded by the government, but we're an independent body, which is why you worry about all these independent bodies and what they might do. This independent body, somehow or other favors someone who supports the government and carefully knocks the stuffing out of someone who doesn't support the government. And our AKMA, which is also independent, will end up running the misinformation laws.
Speaker 4: If they get them through the parliament.
Speaker 6: So that's the really good thing about these independent government authorities. They don't listen to the government at all. They just act independently, don't they All the time?
Speaker 4: You're looking a bit suspicious.
Speaker 2: They are.
Speaker 6: You're looking spectacle. You might think that's not true, when you might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
Speaker 1: I wonder why that would be kel.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was eight hundred and eighty six million dollars in subsidies that was knocked back in the end by the FCC that would have allowed them to get high speed broadband into rural areas where they otherwise wouldn't have it. And the reasoning that the FCC used to knock it back is that they had doubts that Starlink could supply fast enough speed with supply constraints. Okay, so why you going to them now and tanks startling We need.
Speaker 1: To we need we need to get the Internet in there.
Speaker 3: I mean, you could have done it back in twenty twenty two if you hadn't knocked them back for the funding that you told them you could give them because you didn't think it was up to scratch. But when you finally needed them, it was up to scratch, wasn't it. That has this for a funny one. Just sticking to the US for a moment, they've got massive port strikes that have just started over there.
Speaker 1: The dock workers are.
Speaker 3: Going off chops because they want seventy seven percent pay rise over six years. Now, that is an extraordinary amount of money to ask for. But the ila that is their union, the long shawmen, are walking off the job all over the coast of the US asking for this money. Now, of course that means that anything that comes in and out of the US on a boat is essentially stopped. Cars, fridges, televisions, on and on it goes, and the union is completely unapologetic for it. Now, I don't agree with their this blog, says the union leader. But I'll tell you what he is in to tidy.
Speaker 9: These people today don't know what the shrike is. Right when my men hit the streets from Maine to Texas, every single port or locked down, you know what's gonna happen. I'll tell you. First week be all over the news, every nine boom boom. The second week, guys who sell costs can't sell costs because the cars ain't coming in off the ships. They get laid off. Third week, malls are closing down. They can't get the goods from China, they can't sell clothes, they can't do this. Everything in the United States comes.
Speaker 4: On a ship.
Speaker 9: They go out of business. Construction workers get laid off because the materials aren't coming in, the steel's not coming in, the lumber's not coming in.
Speaker 4: They lose their job.
Speaker 9: Everybody's hating the long showman now because now they realize how important our jobs are in today's world.
Speaker 1: I'll cripple you.
Speaker 4: I will cripple you.
Speaker 9: And you have no idea what that means.
Speaker 1: A let's talk, I want my money or I'm going to cripple you. I mean, how good is that?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: The interesting thing, Kell is that Biden could.
Speaker 3: Actually force the dock workers to go back to work.
Speaker 4: He has already correct.
Speaker 3: He can invoke what they call a cooling off period, which is essentially an eighty day period where they're forced to go back to the table and negotiate again.
Speaker 1: He said he won't do it because he's.
Speaker 3: Going to respect their right to negotiate it themselves.
Speaker 1: And the Teensters, which is another massive union in the US.
Speaker 3: They've got one point three million supporters and they've actually been supporting Donald Trump in the federal election over there. But they have said, quote that Biden should stay the f.
Speaker 1: Out of this fight.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, we've got the CFMU was a bit bullish here. They don't bugger around over in the US.
Speaker 6: And the strange thing is these people have been since about nineteen thirty six, since the time of FDR. These people have actually been in bed with the Democrats. So I've got no idea what they think they're doing politically. Do they not like Karmela or don't they care anymore? I just find that the politics of what they're doing, I mean, I understand the economics of it. They're just being bullies and knocking people around until they make a lot of money, But I don't understand the policy crop. It's quite weird for people who are supposed to be on side with the Democrats to be behaving like this.
Speaker 2: It'll be so interesting to see how this plays out, because overnight billions of dollars in trade have been brought to a screeching Holt. He's not wrong in saying they may just be dog workers, but they've got a hell of a lot of power. They've knocked back a fifty percent pay rise over the course of six years, they're holding out for their seventy seven and it doesn't look like that guy's going to budge anytime soon.
Speaker 3: I wonder how it will go when I ask my bosses for a We'll talk about that one after the pro And.
Speaker 2: That's the last you saw of Calee.
Speaker 3: If it's the last you see, I've just been told in my ear it's not happening.
Speaker 1: If it's the last you see of.
Speaker 3: Me, well, at least you got two hours of me Tonight. After the break, we'll get into the papers, including the curious story of a police commissioner and her Gin bottle. You might remember this from a couple of months ago. We've got an update all that more coming up. Let's get into tomorrow's papers, starting Liz with The Daily Telegraph.
Speaker 2: The Daily Telegraph to Everyone's least favorite police commissioner, and by everyone's, I mean me Gin bombshell emails cast doubt on top cops story tangled Web the splash reads Police Commissioner Karen Webb's office told a distillery she wanted dozens of bottles of its blue labeled Gin in time to give out as Christmas gifts, casting doubt on her claim she only knew the booze was brought from her friend's company after it was purchase. The Daily Telegraph can also reveal the full list of people she gave the gin two. Now, first this was a story because the question was it is it really appropriate for a police commissioner to be handing out hard liquor for Christmas.
Speaker 1: Now it's another story because it.
Speaker 2: Turns out she was just upping up the sales of a friend's company.
Speaker 3: Well, see, I don't mind them handing out the bottle of gin to foreign dignitaries or whatever. I couldn't particularly give a stuff. It was called commissioner's gin. The previous police commissioner had done it from.
Speaker 1: The same mob with wine, but.
Speaker 3: The difference was that this time she is actually mates with the people who owned the distillery slash winery, and she had maintained when all of this originally came to light that she wasn't involved in the purchasing process, that it was done by someone else in her office. She only became aware of it afterwards.
Speaker 1: Nothing to see here.
Speaker 3: Clearly, the emails that the Telegraph has obtained show that she basically instructed them to go away and do it on. The people who was given a bottle of gin was Alan Joyce, so I'm sure he's been tucking into that since he left Quantus. But The bit that amused me the most was that there was an email sent by another police employee to miss Webb's chief of staff on December fourteenth, twenty twenty two, that said, although the purchase above might have progressed in the past, when the question is asked, Sorry, the question I asked myself is will I be comfortable if this purchase was released.
Speaker 1: To the media. The employee said, well, it ended up being released to the.
Speaker 6: Media, and a good deal of discomfort followed. I'm a bit impressed at all of these people of G and T people, which which strikes me as being very raffles hotel in colonial Singapore.
Speaker 3: That's anyway, have a sling while you're there too.
Speaker 6: Indeed, in queens Land, of course they have an election on and the is Roman Electric Commission, as always is running it and they're saying that they in fact have no powers to control dishonest or misrepresenting material is in the Courier mail. So take a look at tomorrow's Courier mail. The story tells us that the Electoral Commission has conceded it's powerless to stop a scare campaign in ten electorates being run by powerful union boss Gary Bullock that falsely claim public hospitals will be sold off by an LNP government. Now the LMP is not going to sell off hospital, so it's a false claim. The thing that surprised me maybe you took an explainer to me. I'm surprised the Electoral Commission can't stop it. I know there's been electoral material in the past that they've been able to stop that they've been able to take off the streets, So why are their hands tied in this case? I just thought, if it's a completely false claim, how can they get the Electoral Commission throw their hands up and say sorry, can't any I.
Speaker 2: Think they know is because if they start that labor in Queensland won't.
Speaker 4: Have any campaigns left.
Speaker 2: They've already claimed that Chris A. Fooley is going to change all the abortion laws in Queensland. Now they've got this metascare nonsense happening. What was the other one that they were claiming? Skipping my mind right now. But these guys have been shown quite a few times now in the career mail to be just telling outright lies.
Speaker 1: In order to trump up polls.
Speaker 6: At their desperation, the polls they know they're losing But.
Speaker 3: The funniest thing is right that we're continually been told by politicians, particularly labor politicians at the moment, that we must have laws to stop misinformations and misinformation. Well, I mean, this is the very definition of misinformation and disinformation. And although I am not generally in support of speech being police stoor or controlled by government or its outfits, I think it's entirely right in the middle of an election campaign for the electoral Commission to have the ability to stop the spreading of electoral material that is provably false, because that then could influence the election, and that that influences four years worth of policy that is implemented in a state. How you can get away with that, I don't know, because you know you're basically elected on false pretenses if you get over the line.
Speaker 1: As far as I'm concerned, on.
Speaker 3: The basis of such blatant lies, let's stick in Coensland and go to the Gold Coast bulletin where it says the dogs of war city prepares to battle. Prepare for battle to combat rising number of canine attacks. The Gold Coast City Council is going to war on pet dog attacks. After almost two attacks a day, In twenty twenty three, council is warning owners of a crackdown and plans hosting free etiquette and behavior classes now that the acting Mayor, Donnagates said that dog attacks on people and pets once she.
Speaker 1: Wants it wiped out.
Speaker 3: There were seven hundred and six reported attacks last year, which was fifty five more than they had the year before. There are so many breeds of doglis that are just abundantly aggressive. We know they are aggressive, they are bread to be aggressive, pit bulls, etc.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Why people are still allowed to have them, Get them off the streets.
Speaker 1: These can't all be pit bulls.
Speaker 6: No, no, they won't all be pitbull There are other breeds too, But the breeds which are dangerous and likely to attack people, absolutely true, they know what they are.
Speaker 4: Our little miniature poodle didn't attack anyone.
Speaker 1: Right, not yet, not yet.
Speaker 4: But no.
Speaker 6: There are breeds that it's safe to have as pets, and there are breeds that's unsafe to have as pets. And every time I raise this on talkback programs, I get held down by people saying, oh no, no, no, no, we can look after ours, we can train them properly, perfectly Okay, no, it's not. There are breeds that should be canceled. Do you agree wholeheartedly?
Speaker 1: They tell you cat own you have so speak to them.
Speaker 3: Five cats don't go around nature taking and killing people through the others.
Speaker 1: To a dog down to nur.
Speaker 2: They're not born criminal dogs.
Speaker 1: I'm sorrys. Pit bulls descend from.
Speaker 3: Bulls in the bulls bull terriers in the UK that were bred for dog fight hit.
Speaker 1: Bulls that are absolute land No, it's.
Speaker 4: It's bred into them.
Speaker 6: My late father in law used to run sheep dogs and I said, how do you train them? You see, you don't train them. They get to a certain age and they just take to it. It's in their genes. So the behavior of dogs is in their genes. Can I just say about cats? Little dogs are terrified of cats.
Speaker 1: Well there you go.
Speaker 3: At least I've got one up on the little dogs very quickly before we go to break the Australia you have.
Speaker 2: The Australian biggest native title in turmoil tell us more. The nation's biggest native title deal, called Australia's First Treaty, is in turmoil as the land count that struck the agreement reels from explosive revelations that it secretly access the emails of usurping aboriginal organizations established to take charge of the one point three billion settlement.
Speaker 1: The story goes on.
Speaker 2: To say that this is basically a power struggle with six new regional Aboriginal corporations set up to realize the biggest and most comprehensive Indigenous settlement in Australian history. But it looks like a little bit of a civil war is breaking out amongst those groups.
Speaker 3: So now, why wouldn't you when there's so much money involved? As they say, all power corrupts, absolute, power corrupts absolutely. After the break, we're going to get into the dictionary. We've got the word smith Kel Richards with us here. He's going to tell us the new words that you are officially.
Speaker 1: Allowed to use. Don't go away now, no doubt.
Speaker 3: You religiously watch Words with Kel on Kredline every week on a Wednesday. And of course we've got kel on a Wednesday here again on the late debate, so we thought, hell, why don't we do words with Kell again? The Merriam Webster Dictionary in the US has added a whole bunch of new words. You've picked out some of your favorites.
Speaker 6: They've added two hundred the dictionaries. Dictionaries don't tell you what the language should be. They record what the language is. So they're constantly collecting what they call citations, and they put them into a bank of language, which is now in a computer. The Colins Dictionary calls there is very cleverly the Bank of English, which I think is very nice. But they all do this kind of thing, and every self and the updated, and they've got two hundred new words and two hundred new definitions. Some of the ones they put in the things that we already know and are fairly familiar, but just weren't in the dictionary before. So cash grab has gone in, Creepy Crawley has gone in, and they're just there because this is the point at which the dictionaries noticed them. By the way, can I very quickly say people sometimes say to me, how can I get a word into the dictionary? The answer is, get thousands of people to use it, preferably in print, then it will end up.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 6: A couple of the new words that are in, for example, touch grass. Now this reflects the society that we're in. Touch grasses and put down the phone, get away from the screen, get in touch with the reality. And I thought this is brand new, and Liz said to me, no, no, no, she uses this often.
Speaker 4: So it's around, isn't it. I love it.
Speaker 2: This is something that you tell to people when they're kind of wrapped up in their own world. Is a way of being like, go outside, touch grass, breathe some fresh air, eat a banana, Everything's going to be okay.
Speaker 6: Or as we used to say, wake up, wake up, and spell the coffee is what we used to say. Another one is Nepo baby, and Nepo baby is the son of a very famous people or family or one person, and because of their fame and their family connections, they get good jobs and they get starring roles. Comes from nepotism, which comes from a Greek source word meaning nephews employing nephews. So that's in oh and naga is he? So Donald Trump has made it into the dictionary. I think it's really it's a big deal when a word that you've coined actually gets into the dictionary.
Speaker 4: Trump has done it.
Speaker 3: He knows words, He does words better than anyone else, and he is now in the dictory that's it from us, tod I thank you so much for watching up next to the reader Penny. He showed that