Speaker 1: In Melbourne. Ross Ball, Lachelle's favorite cousin. Les Ball's nephew, spends hours on the road driving trucks.
Speaker 2: So where are you driving to right now? As we speak? What's today's roof?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Delivering a couple of tweet I'll contain it.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of empty highways and staring at bitchamen. And like many of us, he passes the time the same way as you are right now.
Speaker 4: I quite enjoy listening to a lot of true crime as I drive around. It's quite a stimulating mental thing for me.
Speaker 1: But Ross is living his own true crime story the disappearance of his uncle Les. Ross was really fond of his uncle. His dad Lindsay, who sadly died now too, was Les's brother.
Speaker 4: Les came down for a holiday for like the Christmas pride in him going missing and stayed with my mum and dad and I and my brother at our house in Melbourne.
Speaker 5: For both sides of Les's family, money is the cornerstone of this case. The only reason Ross can think of that Les was murdered was because David Phillips owed less money and he didn't want to repay it.
Speaker 1: Les was sick of staying in the Phillips garage and wanted to buy a home of his own, but to do that he needed David to cough up and repay what he'd loaned them.
Speaker 4: But he told my mom and dad, I don't know how that's going to go. He wasn't very hopeful that it was going to be a very pleasant conversation trying to get that back from him.
Speaker 1: Why would lez have been nervous about that conversation with David specifically?
Speaker 4: I think Les he was a lover, not a fighter. I don't think you like confrontation and arguments too much, and I think David was quite intimidating man ex detective police officer. Obviously, I think it would have been an intimidating conversation to have with David.
Speaker 1: So when Les mysteriously went missing, Ross, who was fifteen at the time, remembers his dad being really worried and calling the Phillips household. He specifically remembers his dad speaking with David.
Speaker 4: One of the turning points for me of realizing that Les had met foul play was my dad hung up on the phone with David and said, oh, he's full of it. He's full of it.
Speaker 1: What did your dad mean when he said David's full of it? He's full of it? What do you think he meant?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he just meant he didn't believe a word he said. He was lying and maybe withholding information I guess is yeah, he didn't believe what he was saying. He said, Ei, there's something going on there. Obviously this not adding up.
Speaker 1: Remember in the last episode, David Phillips lied about Les's tendency to just take off and go bush. But as we'll soon see, this is on brand for David because for a former detective, he has a precarious relationship with the truth. Speaking with Les's family, the sense you get is that his final months in the Phillips household were unhappy ones.
Speaker 4: Apparently he was living in the garage. Even his meals were delivered to the garage. You'd died in the garage. I know, my dad had said it'd called to speak to him and they'd have to go and get him from the garage to come to the phone to speak. And he even went to the toilet and the garage and a bucket, like even when Les had moved out, they found a bucket of you're on in the corner of the garage.
Speaker 1: What we are about to discover is a money trail with its own hidden secrets and dogged Irish detective determined to uncover the truth about Les Ball.
Speaker 2: I'm Joe Townsend and I'm Callendoness.
Speaker 5: This is perfect alibi. So we're turning into the housing subdivision where the Phillips lived. It's one of those classic setups. This looks like your land to drive. Now, what number are we looking for? Maybe three? Okay, So the house we're looking for is on it right, Wonder if I recognize that. I've seen lots of photos of it. Okay, we're close. I reckon. We park here, let's park here. Oh, there it is. I recognize it.
Speaker 6: A couple of.
Speaker 2: A couple of big cars in the driveway, like someone might be home. Le's moved in in October, and so he would.
Speaker 1: Have been there all summer, sweltering hot in that garage. The owner of the house has come out to chat to us. Now, hello, and Joe, how are you this Callum should talk.
Speaker 5: To that neighbor over there. I think he's the first copreen. Yeah, okay, okay, all right, thanks for that. We'll go knock next door.
Speaker 2: More than thirty years ago.
Speaker 1: Les was living in the garage of this modest, low rise brick home, hatching a plan to escape.
Speaker 2: Beautiful garden here.
Speaker 1: In the town's well's been watering the plants.
Speaker 5: Very well manicured line. Okay, hello, how are you. It's good.
Speaker 1: We're the people from the audio documentary. My name is Joe and this is Callum the case.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, when you were was going on here, I didn't know him very well, you know, just as a own wave. He seemed like lovely gentlemen, you know, and he just disappeared. That seems an awful shame, you know, to subbage just disappears. You have to face the earth.
Speaker 1: Visiting the last place Les was seen alive, and maybe the crime scene gave us a better idea of exactly why Les was so excited to get out of there and into a place of his own. We promised to keep the new owner at your landa drive and old bill from over the road up to date if we found out anything more.
Speaker 5: By March nineteen ninety three, Les was completely over living in the Phillips garage. He secretly found a place of his own in card Well, but he felt guilty about leaving without telling his family. The first they heard of it was when he announced he'd placed an offer.
Speaker 1: Right and he wanted to move out over Easter, but his real estate agent and solicitor noted a major problem. Les suddenly couldn't pull the final settlement money together. It was incredibly strange, considering his divorce settlement had just come through.
Speaker 5: This is something police looked into during that first investigation, and I've gone over it too. The reason Les didn't have the money was simple. He'd loaned tens of thousands of dollars to David Leanne, but I'm picking the exact amount was difficult because the story kept changing.
Speaker 1: In Leanne's first police statement, she didn't mention money at all. A week later, she admitted to a ten thousand dollars. In fact, the total was closer to thirty one thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: Leanne told police that Les was transferring the money to her and David to help Lez out.
Speaker 6: The version that she provided was that he was trying to sort of minimize the amount of money his account so it wouldn't affect his betteran affairs payments.
Speaker 5: Leanne told police she was withdrawing the cash for Les, so that he could keep the money in his account to a minimum and avoid affecting his pension payments. She told them she was just withdrawing the cash and handing it right back to LEDs right.
Speaker 1: Leanne also told police that some of the money was alone to them, and there was nothing to disprove Leanne's account, nor did it sound implausible. Maybe Lez had cash dashed away under a mattress and parents lend their kids money all the time. But if that was the case, where was the cash and why couldn't Lez afford his settlement?
Speaker 5: Well, Noel couldn't see what Les was apparently all this money on. I mean, he was living in the garage of his family home. People described him as thrifty, some even said he was tight with money.
Speaker 6: Every couple of days there'd be about one hundred and so two hundred taken out of his account, which with normal living expenses I've posed fuel, maybe helping him with golf or things like that. That seemed to be about normal. But then the to and fro again, you could understand how he was trying to minimize the impact on his better affairs payments as well too. You know that's a bonus. So again We've got this version. We had nothing to say otherwise, so you have to take it on face value for what it is, and then bank records and everything show that what they said is true.
Speaker 5: But detectives soon found a specific ten thousand dollars transfer that gave them a clue on where some of this money might have been going. Les had transferredly and ten thousand dollars. She told police that Le's owed David's his mother, Shirley, and Leanne was just transferring the money over to pay the debt, but when police spoke to Shirley, she had a different version of events. She told them that she had gone garran tore on a ten thousand dollars loan for Leanne and David after David had injured himself helping out on a relative's reno. Shirley isn't alive now, but we managed to track down David's sister, Christine, who recalled the incident.
Speaker 7: He was in the bathroom using a circular saw and I was painting. He called me in and there he is, lying flat out on the floor, the circular saw in his right groin. He's very lucky to survive that. So my parents got a loan off their business ten thousand dollars to get them all through. Flew the family down, and they made a promise to pay back regularly with the pension that he was receiving from the police force.
Speaker 8: They never did.
Speaker 7: They didn't pay one cent back. So when he recovered, they went back to Tansville, and my mom found out they went on a cruise.
Speaker 5: Because Shirley was guarant taur she was on the hook for ten thousand dollars, a big sum now, but even bigger back in the early nineties.
Speaker 7: Eventually, she flew up to Queensland and asked mister Ball if he could possibly help her out paying back the money, and he did because he was a nice man.
Speaker 1: So, according to Christine, that ten thousand dollar transfer that Les the nice man made to Leanne was to help the couple pay off the debt they owed to David's mum.
Speaker 5: Shirley Leanne denied this version of events to police, saying the couple had paid off the debt themselves and that this money was from Leeds for a separate debt that he owed. Shirley and Leanne remained stubborn in her police interviews. She didn't offer up much unprompted.
Speaker 6: It wasn't open. If you didn't asked the question, you weren't given the answer. It was a case of having to find out what was the go on. And the old thing is you know, asked the question if you know the answer, so we knew the answer, giving Leanne the opportunity to provide us with the information, and when it became apparent that we knew, then she would tell us. But it was the same thing. If you didn't ask, you weren't told.
Speaker 5: So we know Leanne was in hospital over a thousand kilometers away when Les disappeared, and there's never been any evidence that she was involved in his disappearance in any way. And to be fair to Leanne, there's also plenty of reasons why she might not have been totally forthcoming about her finances. David said, one of the reasons she was a bit all over the place was that she was on heavy prescription drugs getting hospital treatment in Brisbane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but equally you can see why police were looking into the Phillips finances. Lez was living in the garage and was apparently desperate to get out out of there, but had to delay moving out because, according to his lawyer and his real estate agent. He needed the Phillips to repay some of the tens of thousands of dollars they owed him. And when you start to include that block of land, Les had actually loaned the Phillips a total of sixty thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: It's a lot of money back then, a lot of.
Speaker 2: Money in nineteen ninety three, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But even with their progress into Les's finances, Nole's case eventually goes cold. By nineteen ninety five, there's just a single newspaper article with the headline no verdict on man missing. For two years, an inquest was held and no charges were recommended by the coroner.
Speaker 5: The files sat gathering dust for sixteen years until police officially reopened the case in twenty eleven and began to reinterview witnesses and their main suspect, David Phillips. Some of those interviews are covertly recorded and later tended at the inquest into Lester's disappearance, and this cold case investigation is now looking even more closely at the Phillips finances.
Speaker 2: Your father had lent you money at his own free will.
Speaker 3: Next question, Okay, there's a total of thirty one.
Speaker 7: Well, we'd like to talk to you about the find.
Speaker 3: No need to dad, Gay.
Speaker 8: He gave his own free will.
Speaker 3: That's it. No, no, he gave it to you. It's added to meet my own and his own free will. So there's nothing. There's no question in the about money. It's only it that brought up a question of the money because she hated me. Anything now, next question, So only it wanted to point out about the money.
Speaker 1: As part of the twenty eleven police investigation, detectives also spoke to Leanne's mum, who is Les's first wife, Margaret.
Speaker 9: Heads one mess now ten am on Sunday twenty seven November eleven, going off but see Margaret Balls.
Speaker 1: Two detectives arrived at Margaret's house on a Sunday morning to let her know they were reopening the investigation. They were secretly recording their conversation.
Speaker 7: I just wanted to you know that we are reinvestigating. This is Chinas parents has speaking herd of less Ball. So what we're doing is we're speaking with everyone he was involved in the original investigation, perhaps other people too.
Speaker 1: Margaret was staying at the Phillips house when Les disappeared.
Speaker 2: When police spoke to her.
Speaker 1: In twenty eleven, she was with some relatives and their reaction when asked about David and Leanne and money tells you a lot.
Speaker 10: Do you know of any money that Les may have lent to Leanne?
Speaker 9: David, if he did, it would have been on.
Speaker 11: The same terms that we all.
Speaker 5: In casing this that last part, one family member jokes that the loan would be on the same terms. Then Margaret says, the boomerang that never returns, and.
Speaker 9: I gave them the money. In that David said, oh, come be down tomorrow, I'll give you the money. That no worries, I said, I forget it you did, No, I definitely will be down and give you the money, and no intentions to giving them give me back.
Speaker 5: Margaret told detectives about a time after Lasar's disappearance when David, Leanne and the kids were living in Melbourne and came to stay and.
Speaker 9: I was at the hairdressers for two hours. When I came back, like practicularly clean me out on were shots. I take it, took everything because I had to have anything to sleep in it and cook with them. They're even down to the room and the dust fit.
Speaker 5: So well about it we didn't.
Speaker 8: How can you do it?
Speaker 5: At this point, Margaret had been estranged from Leanne for a number of years, so we should probably take that story with a healthy grain of salt. But what's interesting is what David's side of the family has to say. According to his younger sister, Christine, David was always hitting their parents up for cash.
Speaker 7: They paid a lot of bills for them, example, carpet curtains, air conditioning, and outside blinds. And I'm aware of him going to my father for money, although Dad never told me how much. My parents paid for a caravan for him to sit and study with. And I know my mom frequently filled up the pantry food, the staples, meat, veggies, so the kids had food. He frequently would say I need money for a bill, and I wouldn't give him any money. I said, give me the bill. Yeah, And he went into detective training. I did pay for two suits for him to go into detective training with. That was about six hundred dollars way back then.
Speaker 2: Why do you think he needed all that money?
Speaker 7: Good question. I think it was the want wan what want?
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: This evidence from Leanne and David's own family probably explains this next part of the police interview with Leanne. In the video, Leanne sits close to camera, arms folded off camera. A female detective sits across the table from her.
Speaker 9: Okay, because we're aware that he received in a property settlement of one hundred and forty one thousand in lushing to the marriage break.
Speaker 3: With not answering email question about the money, you're all barking up the long tree.
Speaker 2: He was money.
Speaker 5: Next question in the corner of the interview room. It's a male detective for most of the interview, his fairly silent. And then are you systematically fluicing money?
Speaker 2: Can do you know?
Speaker 5: He goes in hard.
Speaker 3: You never so the these are these stupid, stupid questions that keep coming up. I'm not even going to justify with an answer.
Speaker 12: It be stupid if we're talking about one hundred dollars land that we're not.
Speaker 3: We're talking about a couple of months, well you know, ten thousand that went to the lawyers, which I've got back and we're given back to dad. And I mean to stop making issues that aren't there is your parents that are giving you any money or anything over your years, didn't give me thirty one thousand, person, and stop it and some of that little can't go back to dad because I've got more money as was supposed to be. So you've created a problem that's not even there. You don't think that's a reasonable proposition. Did you hunt someone over thirty one thousand dollars?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Exactly right. The next questions aren't, Oh, don't give iculous, next question?
Speaker 12: How much of a one hundred and forty did you get?
Speaker 3: You know, all those details I'll do and don't ask me why are you getting? Because I can't understand how you can just be so narrow mind and hardly one subject, and then you've gone all around this one subject and making it the bee's and ends or of everything in your wrong, wrong role.
Speaker 5: In two thousand and one, after Les had been missing for eight years, he was officially declared deceased and Leanne was appointed executor of his estate. She closed his bank account, which had seventy thousand dollars in it, and it's not clear what happened to that money. Later, the block of land was sold, netting his estate another seventy thousand dollars. Les had left most of his kids specific mounts five grandire, ten grand, there Leanne and Lachelle his two favorite children were supposed to split the rest equally, but police have never been able to work out if that happened or not. By the time they tried to get the bank statements, they'd been destroyed because banks only keep those records for seven years. Usually a solicitor would handle the estate and payments to beneficiaries, but in this instance, Leanne herself sent out the checks, including a sixteen thousand dollar check to Lachelle.
Speaker 10: So I'll put the check into my bank account, and then I'll go into the bank and there's an overdrawer on my bank account. I didn't know what happened.
Speaker 5: They said, you need to check bounce this is Lachelle's mum.
Speaker 7: Ed she'd send it to Lachelle, and she counceled it the same day.
Speaker 5: So naturally, detectives questioning Leanne were curious to know what was going on.
Speaker 1: What happened to his estate?
Speaker 3: Then, Ah, you know exactly what happened?
Speaker 4: Well, we don't.
Speaker 9: You should do We don't know exactly, No, you should do.
Speaker 3: No, you know where money?
Speaker 8: Well, can you tell us where I.
Speaker 3: Went to one that was supposed to go to accept a shirt. I changed it. I canceled her check. At the last minute because she was stopping the sole of the land and going through she failed twice. It was sold and she wouldn't let it go through. I said, just let her have the land and she can deal with it. Chucker would end up being equal the same man. So because Atlaine was supposed to be divided again when it came to I just said to give her half. That that was just that was just the family issue.
Speaker 5: Michelle, for what it's worth, says this isn't true. She only found out about the block of land after her check bounced.
Speaker 10: After we found out the check bounced, my mum and the lawyers got onto it quickly and went through courts to put a caveat on the land so that she.
Speaker 12: Couldn't touch that.
Speaker 5: But it's David who was the focus of the police investigation, because remember Leanne was in hospital when her dad went missing. Here's David's police interview and.
Speaker 12: Now speling to go on. I didn't understanding all the type of question we put through the mill before.
Speaker 1: In case you missed that David Phillips audio that's not great quality. He said he knew he was the prime suspect and said he'd been put through the mill answering questions before at the coronial inquest, except, as you might remember, he never went to the inquest.
Speaker 8: Don't you understand what? What's suspicious? What I should think of this?
Speaker 12: What did you think the way for me? What did you do? I can't change in the statements because I have not been more blue about it to say if I compelled him with anything on them. I've been through all these questions before, a lot of styled do you have had a good time in nineteen ninety three? Not exturting at normal pension?
Speaker 7: Your pension is that like?
Speaker 12: That does pension?
Speaker 1: Detectives in that audio were asking about David's finances because ross Ball's true crime instincts were right.
Speaker 4: There's US bank records that we obtained after he went missing. There was numerous transfers to David and Land of five seven ten thousand dollars at a time that all added up to sixty thousand dollars. I think the fact that he'd had to loan them money so many different times that you know, became apparent that they weren't too well off with So I think getting it back as I wasn't going to be a much harder conversation and not a very realistic prospect. I guess when you're group feeding five and seven ten thousand dollars loans to them, it all odds up to sixty thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: So by April nineteen ninety three there was a pressing financial deadline. Les had bought this house in Cardwell, and as the settlement date of April the nineteenth loomed, the one that had pushed back from Easter because he didn't have the money together, Les was just over one thousand dollars short of the sixty three thousand dollars plus fees he needed to complete the purchase the dream house. The loan to the Phillips and the deposit on the block of land had wiped out his one hundred and forty five thousand dollar divorce settlement. And according to Lachelle, David was a scary character.
Speaker 10: Just his whole presence. He just had a presence about him.
Speaker 5: Did he have a temper, Yeah.
Speaker 10: He did have a temperer. I was sitting in the lad and I could hear him say on the phone call, we'll have to get rid of him. So I don't know who he is talking to, but that just scared me.
Speaker 8: Okay, am mine to take this in your Constable Les mc norton, registered number four zero one five zero ninety five from the Homicide Investigation Unit. Today's Friday, the tenth of February twenty seventeen and the time is nine thirty am in the morning.
Speaker 1: That distinctive Irish accent belongs to Liz McNaughton, former cold case detective in Brisbane and one of the homicide team that took on Les's case two decades after he disappeared. In the more recent police interviews, she stands out. She sounds like she just gets it. We really wanted to interview her, but she'd quit the police force.
Speaker 5: By this time. Lesu's case had truly run cold, and so had our investigation. We spent nearly a year looking for Lis mc norton and she it seemed like a bit of a ghost. There wasn't a single hit when we googled her, no social media accounts, our police contacts, didn't know her. All we knew was that she was living back in Ireland. But looking up e Liz mc norton in Ireland is like asking for John Smith. In Australia, there are hundreds of them. We didn't even know what part of Ireland or Northern Ireland to start looking in. But then I had an admittedly brilliant idea, because it occurred to me that every Irish person I've ever met can pinpoint an accent down to the nearest half mile. And we had that piece of audio, and that's when you came in, Joe.
Speaker 1: So I sent that piece of audio to my close friend Grace, who's Irish.
Speaker 2: I was a bridesmaid at her wedding. She said she'd ask.
Speaker 1: Her Irish cousins in a WhatsApp group if they could pick the exact accent.
Speaker 2: Hey hey, Gracie, how are you good?
Speaker 1: How are you? You're really good?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 13: I'm just living a dream managing kids' activities, you know, Yeah, I do know, I do know.
Speaker 2: All right, how did you go with our Irish copper?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Really good.
Speaker 9: Look.
Speaker 13: As soon as I heard played by the police officer speaking, I knew instantly she had a Northern Irish accent, but I knew it wasn't Belfast.
Speaker 2: So I sent on a klip to my cousin Nicole.
Speaker 13: Who lives in Northern Ireland, and I'll just free you the response she sent back to me or night.
Speaker 2: So she said, the accent's.
Speaker 13: Definitely from around Ballamina area, so hopefully that helps you. It's about forty five minutes out of Belfast.
Speaker 1: Okay, the Ballamina area, all right, let me look that up. Oh yeah, I can see it just above Belfast there. Oh my god, there's only thirty one thousand people in Ballina.
Speaker 2: How did she pick that?
Speaker 7: Oh the beauty of being Irish.
Speaker 13: We can pick up accents from anywhere in Ireland. It's pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm going to start hunting for MacNaughton in Ballamina.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Gracie.
Speaker 1: Amazing And just like that, Thanks to Grace and cousin Nicole, the search for the Irish detective who worked on Les's case with the super common name went from a needle in a haystack of roughly seven million people to a regional northern Irish town called Balamina of just over thirty one thousand people. And when we did eventually find her, she remembered Les's case in incredible detail. And even better, she was visiting Australia soon, which is how we found ourselves standing outside a church on a suburban street in Sydney on a blustery cold day waiting for Liz McNaughton. I still can't believe that Irish Liz, the Irish Connection is in the country and we're about to meet her.
Speaker 5: That's been a long time coming. Support the weather with her, it's horrible.
Speaker 1: Liz kindly agreed to fly to Sydney to talk to us about Liz.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: There she is, Oh, finally the Irish Connection.
Speaker 5: And she practically jumped out of the taxi and gave me in Jo a big, tight hug.
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 1: Liz is nothing like the other cops we've interviewed for this podcast. There's that melodic Irish accent, of course, an accent I now know is a Ballymena accent, and the hugging. But also it's how she became a detective in the first place.
Speaker 11: When I first came here, I've worked in retail. I was a retail manager. But when I first came here, I did that and I just didn't warm to you, you know anymore. So just to say that, to go bike to Uni, you know, I'll go bike to TeaF see what I can study looking through the book Tea hahnbook, just a studies love a good thriller, love a good crime. So I went, maybe I could do that, and I remember sent to my husband at the time when he just sorry shook his head as aflic really I want I think I'll agree it. So that's actually how it started. I just want to started doingjustice studies and the lecturer there was an inspector in the Queensland Police. That was that for me. That was exactly where I wanted to be and my focus was set and that was me off and running.
Speaker 1: By twenty fifteen, the second investigation into Les's disappearance had fizzled out. There was no new evidence and nobody knew where Les's body was. Liz mcnorton was now a homicide detective in Brisbane and that's when she first heard about Les's case.
Speaker 11: My detective sergeant at the time had said, oh there's this ks that it really bothered him over the years.
Speaker 1: Liz agreed to start working on the case but couldn't dedicate much time to it because of what Liz calls the hot jobs. Wait, it sounds way better when she says it.
Speaker 11: We're only able to give a little bit of time to it because of the hot jobs. You're always called off, you know, going here, going there.
Speaker 1: More urgent jobs, which in the homicide squad means murders kept coming up, or as Liz called them.
Speaker 5: Hot jobs.
Speaker 2: So Liz couldn't.
Speaker 1: Really do much on Lez's case until one day Liz was injured in the line of duty, hurt on the job while protecting the community.
Speaker 11: I was at a crime scene on the Gold Coast, and you know, we're just all there, media's there. I'm like, first day, you know, I'm yet great job, can't wear it, and we're going down to the embankment and I missed my step. Dinah went and just pop back up again as ef nothing had happened, but my handkird was so sore. And thenber the time they got my bit off to the hill brook an ankle. So that left me in the office.
Speaker 1: Liz suddenly had plenty of time on her hands and no hot job interruptions. She got the entire les Boll file and read and read and read.
Speaker 11: Prior to my review of it, there was two prior investigations, so there's original investigation when Lez went missing, and now I think two th and eleven it was rumped up again. And then so you had all art material to go through. It was like a cheerse. You know, you've got this ten thousand piece puzzle and you know you want to get every last piece.
Speaker 1: And what I love about police officers, cops, you know, old school cops like you, is you get a real spidery sense when you get a case.
Speaker 3: You do.
Speaker 2: When you first got this file, what did you think here?
Speaker 11: Everything was wrong about it? I mean everything's wrong. Nothing out of up, nothing made any sense.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 11: We had this Perphala that was just about to start a new life in a new home, and all of a sudden they had just gone disappeared. Something wasn't right, something was missed, Something's wrong. Somebody knows something.
Speaker 1: To Liz, the money flowing to the Phillips looked like a motive for murder.
Speaker 11: I believe them was financial because looking at it, there doesn't seem or appear to be any other reason. Lez was a quiet gentleman, had a drink like this, fashion like this, golf just your every day Assie.
Speaker 8: Brooke, isn't it, you know?
Speaker 11: And financially had the finances, he was able to buy house. He was able to do these things. See if it wasn't felt that pinch, maybe jealousy.
Speaker 2: Police had already.
Speaker 1: He pursued that theory and got nowhere, But Lizer's investigation was about to uncover something that would blow the case wide open. Next time on perfect alibi, a stunning murder confession.
Speaker 11: It was quite massive, quite bloody, and used warriis the effect of he almost wrapped his one paint.
Speaker 1: If you've got more information on this case, you can contact us at les Bawl podcast at ProtonMail dot com. That's l Eesba double L podcast at ProtonMail dot com.
Speaker 3: Mz