Speaker 1: Hey, the Healthyish listeners, thank you for tuning into the daily podcast from Body and Soul. I am Felicity Harley. Are you feeling deep cellular exhaustion or perhaps you just want to get off that damn treadmill. Oh it's a cliche, but it's true, isn't it. Well. My guest today is doctor Philippa Bellette. She's a PhD scholar, nutritionist, functional medicine practitioner, and author of a new book called End Body Burnout, and today she's going to discuss the importance of addressing both the imbalances in your body systems and also the deeper causes of burnout that are probably in your mind. If you do like what you hear from Philippa, and I know you will. It's a great chat listening to Extra Healthy Issue where she discusses her four step approach to healing. You can grab that wherever you get your podcasts. Philippa, thank you for joining us on the podcast today. I hope you're feeling well, refreshed and not exhausted.
Speaker 2: I'm doing really well.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I know your book is going to well ring true for so many of our listeners. I mean, exhaustion is just the norm. You've worked with more than two thousand and five hundred so called burnt out clients.
Speaker 4: That's a lot talk to us about this. What do you hear? What do you see?
Speaker 3: Something I do here A lot is exhaustion is the norm you have? That you said that really specifically, and it's so correct. And it's also a story that a lot of people who end up working with us or end up in our circle, that they've got that message from like a GP as well, especially when they're running tests and they're like, oh, oh, your markers or your blood tests are fine, but you don't feel fine, So what's going on?
Speaker 4: That's what the patient is thinking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But then often people are just sold the story of oh, you're a mom, or you're a business owner, or like, everyone's busy and stressed out these days, so it's just really normal to feel the way that you are. So that's definitely one theme that I see. Another theme is that people who get stuck in a busy pattern often have underlying other patterns going on. So perfectionism, people pleasing all on thing, thinking over responsibility for others, and also a need to control, and that is a huge theme that people aren't quite really seeing on the surface level when they're feeling exhausted, and that really steeps back into the childhood patterns or beliefs that you created when you're a little kid, and those beliefs then drive these busy perfectionism people pleasing patterns as a way to try and really run away from the greatest fear that you have about yourself.
Speaker 4: It's so true, isn't it.
Speaker 1: And I feel like, oh, look, me included and many of our listeners and my friends and colleagues, and you're just you're on I mean, it's such a cliche, but you're on that treadmill. And someone actually I had Kate Lambrook on here a couple of years ago, and she described it as deep celliar exhaustion. And I just feel like that sums it up. But you just keep going, You just keep on going. So how do you know? What I want to know is, how do you know if you're on that treadmill, if you actually exhausted, if you burn out before you start addressing those other issues of perfectionism, control, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Yes, So, some common symptoms that we see in burnout clients or energy mood gut.
Speaker 2: And gut issues.
Speaker 3: We also use the word body burnout, so not just burnout. A lot of people think about burnout that they've been working too much and you know, their brain is kind of cooked, so mood issues can definitely show up, and that might look like irritability, snappiness, your inability to respond to stresses like you used to. But on the other spectrum too, maybe people are now dropping down into deep depression PTSD. And then energy issues, so if someone's noticing that their energy levels are dropping, whether they're struggling to wake up in the morning or doing the three pm slump kind of like early science, and then later signs that I am so exhausted, I am chronically fatigued. And energy issues could also show up as sleep issues, so insomnia, brain fog, low motivation, So they're kind of like the top two.
Speaker 2: And then the third one that not many people.
Speaker 3: Think about in relation to burnout is gut issues. So when you've been running busy burnout patterns for a really long time, you get stuck in fight flight and basically that switches off your gut and then that can show up as bloating, reflux, constipation, diarrhea, food sensitivities and other inflammatory type issues that often stem from the gut, like skin issues, auto immunity, even chronic pain.
Speaker 4: I feel like so many of us.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know all the symptoms you've talked about, there are so many that I mean, we're all putting your hands up. Yes, that's me, that's me, that's me. We are just one stressed out society in so many ways. So to us about your four step method of healing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cool.
Speaker 3: So you can't have symptoms without there being some sort of physical imbalance. So we always first look at body systems. And this is really great too. If you have gone to the GP or specialist and you're feeling really crappy, but all the results are showing up as fine, there are there must be. There has to be physical imbalances happening inside the body systems, and so first step is getting clear on those body systems.
Speaker 2: We're a functional medicine practice.
Speaker 3: So we use different types of lab testing that look at gut health and adrenal stress hormones and your detox pathways and heavy metals and nutritional deficiencies. When you can uncover that, then it's like okay, cool, Now we can start resetting, rebalancing the physical part of the body so that you can start feeling well, and then the other steps are really diving deeper into the root causes. So step number two is heal thy mind, and that's what I would call the deepest root cause of body burnout. So that's where we're circling back to perfectionism patterns, people pleasing overdoing.
Speaker 2: Where did those patterns actually come from?
Speaker 3: Because you could take a bucket load of supplements based on lab testing, but if you're not addressing that deeper root, then you will only get short term relief, if at all. So that's really important to kind of like go deeper into the unconscious mind nervous system to look at how you're wired, how you're programmed, and any blockages or baggage stuck in your system that is causing those patterns in.
Speaker 2: The first place. Step number three is then heal my body.
Speaker 3: So once you have started to reprogram that deeper part of yourself, it's actually now safe to be able to heal because a lot of people get stuck in burnout and chronic health.
Speaker 2: Safety to be well because the health issues are.
Speaker 3: Hiding deeper unconscious core wounds within themselves. So when you can start clearing that, now you can start getting strategic and start supporting your boy with different lifestyle changes, different lab based supplements, sleep. Everyone knows that the things that we should be doing, so we do whole foods, movement, all those really important things. And then the fourth step is looking out towards your environment. So you could be doing all the lovely things inside your body, but if you're living in a really toxic environment, and that might look like chemical toxic, so things like toxic skin care.
Speaker 2: Products, cleaning products.
Speaker 3: Even mold. But also if you're living or have relationships with toxic people or toxic workplaces, that's going to affect.
Speaker 2: Your ability to be able to heal as well.
Speaker 1: So if someone's listening to this and can identify with all the symptoms of burnout, is your recommendation. The first step getting tests done, going to your doctor apart from buying your book.
Speaker 3: That is, look, if someone's really not doing well, I would go to the GP first and foremost, because you want to you want to screen out to make sure you don't have something like cancer or you know, a tumor or something grow inside your body, something that could be really detrimental. If that's all fine, then.
Speaker 4: I would be so.
Speaker 3: In our functional medicine practice, we use lab testing that goes beyond just GP tests, and it's a nice, good first step because people actually really like to have that data to validate how they're feeling. It's like, it's not just all in my head. I'm not just a hypochondriac. There are actually real things happening inside my body. And then as you can start supporting those body systems therapeutically, that also helps people to start feeling a bit bitter mood wise, and motivation and energy to then be able to do the root cause work and you know, the lifestyle changes that are going to help them to heal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great advice, Philippa, thank you for coming on Healthy each Thank you two and a half thousand Burnout guests. That's a lot, and no doubt there is many more than that who are listening to these podcasts like you. If you do want more from Philippart, her new book is called Ending Body Burnout and it is out now. If you did enjoy this chat, jump on at rate and review, or of course you can subscribe to this podcast or share this at with a friend someone who needs a bit of a well Virtual hug Via podcast episode, anything else, head to body insoul dot com dot you follow us on socials. Grab our print edition, which is out in your local Sunday paper, and until tomorrow, stay healthy ish