Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Friday, July tenth, twenty twenty six. Tony Abbott's mission to stop people smuggling boats prompted some bureaucrats to warn they were worried the government was breaking the law or would provoke conflict with Indonesia. That's one of the revelations in Paul Kelly's book The Twilight of Exceptionalism, launched today and with exclusive extracts at The Australian dot com AU this weekend. Judges versus prosecutors, politicians versus lawyers. There's an intriguing power struggle going on in New South Wales that raises big questions about the separation of powers and how our criminal justice system really works. Our own Elie Dudley has been breaking all the scoops.
Speaker 2: She's here in just a moment.
Speaker 1: Ellie Dudley is The Australian's National Chief of Staff and she's been following a story that seems as old as the colony of New South Wales. Ellie, it's a fight at the highest levels of the New South Wales judiciary and legal system.
Speaker 3: To breaking news now and an explosive parliamentary report has found Chief Prosecutor Sally Dowling.
Speaker 4: Said to have given given false evidence to Parliament and should face a formal inquiry into whether she should be sacked.
Speaker 1: This is Sally Dowling, the Director of Public Prosecutions in the state, who's got herself tangled up in a disagreement i would say, between politicians herself, and there are judges and other.
Speaker 2: Senior legal figures involved as well.
Speaker 1: First of all, Sally Dowling is complaining that she's been criticized by politicians for some actions taken by her offers and the legal fraternity rallied around Sally Dowling in quite a remarkable way. What are they saying and why are they backing her in so hard?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So in order to answer that question, Claiut track it back a little while. So basically, there was an accusation that was put against Sally Dowling before a parliamentary committee. Now, this parliamentary committee was set up to probe how the identities of children are protected in legal proceedings, because, as we know, you can't name kids when they're before the courts. So this parliamentary committee was set up and as part of that, this bombshell submission was lobbed by a new South Wales District Court judge called Penelope Wass. Penelope Wass had been critical of Sally Dowling and her office in the past, but she lodged this sort of sixty odd page submission with this inquiry accusing Miss Dowling and her office of leaking information to a commercial radio station two GB in order to damage her reputation.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's track it back.
Speaker 1: Penelope was was hearing a matter in which a young man of Aboriginal descent was involved. He was accused she allowed him in court to give a welcome to or acknowledgment of country.
Speaker 2: What do we know about the circumstances in which that happened?
Speaker 4: So we know this ceremony or this welcome or acknowledgment was held during the sentence and hearing for this indigenous teenager. Penelope Was in her submission said that she brought both the defense and the prosecution into her chambers beforehand and alerted them to the fact that she was planning on allowing this to happen for this offender.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so depending on where you fall on Australia's present cultural divide. I suppose this is either a judge acknowledging this kid's ancestry and allowing him to have some agency in court, or it's yet another example of wokeness gone mad in the court system.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: It sparked a conversation and it sort of sent ripples throughout the legal fraternity. At the time, there were already ten between the judges, particularly of the New South Wales District Court, and Sally Dowling in her office. Some of them, I think about six or seven had made criticisms of her office for running rape cases that didn't have any hope of securing a conviction, so they believe didn't have enough evidence to ever get it over the line.
Speaker 1: So judges are saying, look, you guys are the dpp A running these cases. You're giving false hope to complainants. They're never going to get convictions. So the context is this pretty hot tension right between judges and the prosecutors.
Speaker 4: Totally, and Penelope was one of those judges. She had made comments to that effect in handing down a judgment in a sexual assault case. The other thing that she had done is she had criticized Sally Dowling for going over her head in a separate manner of going over her head to the Chief Judge. Penelope was described that as trying to exert influence over the judiciary, and she reported Sally Dowling to the Legal Services Watchdog in New South Wales for what she thought was not good behavior.
Speaker 1: Okay, so when people at bod find out that Penny Wars has allowed a convicted criminal to give a welcome to or acknowledgement of country in her courtroom, they think, oh, this is useful information.
Speaker 4: Well, this is interesting and this is where the timeline gets a bit interesting, right. So I found out about this complaint to the New South Wales Legal Services Commissioner and I put questions to the ODPP about that complaint. We planned to run the story the next day. I gave them a deadline of later that afternoon with the intention of running the story the next day, but we ended up holding off on running the story news you can.
Speaker 6: Trust opinions that matter.
Speaker 4: The next morning, however, this news report appears on TWOGB, presented by twogb's Ben Fordham, about this welcome to country that Penelope Wass had allowed this young indigenous offender to perform.
Speaker 7: Strap yourself in because what we're about to reveal may make you fall off your chair. A criminal has conducted a welcome to country in the middle of a court room before he was sentenced.
Speaker 5: So it's not just now I'm sitting there going, oh, what a weird coincidence.
Speaker 4: I was going to run a story about Penelope Wuss today and this story happened to come out in the media that day.
Speaker 5: We ended up running our story about Penelope Wiss's complaint against Sally Dowling the following day, which was a Saturday.
Speaker 1: So the tone of Ben Forden's report is as we mentioned before, wokeness gone mad.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's not supposed to matter. Isn't there a chance that observers could view this as special treatment? I would have thought so, something available to some and not others. No wonder senior legal figures in Sydney are shaking their heads. Judge Penelope Woss, in my humble opinion, you've had a shocker.
Speaker 4: He got comments from Alistair Henskins, who was the Opposition legal affairs spokesperson at the time, who commented on how this wasn't good and that similar tone of wokeness gone mad in our court system.
Speaker 8: It seems to me to be quite inappropriate for the relationship between the judge who was about to be imposing a ceremony to be changed in a manner where the prisoner is actually elevated to some special status beyond any other ordinary citizen who may or may not be Indigenous.
Speaker 1: So you put in questions to the ODPP on a Thursday. On that same day, and we don't know exactly what time or whether it was before or after those questions arrived from you. There was a meeting at the ODPP where the media manager and Sally Dowling were both present. What do we know about what happened there?
Speaker 4: The media manager left believing that she was authorized to leak the story to GP, believing that she had that permission.
Speaker 1: So she's sitting in the meeting where the media manager says, Hey, I've got a great idea. What about if we give Ben Fordham this great story which is going to be embarrassing to Penny Walls, And Sally Dowling says she's not really paying attention.
Speaker 5: The media manager has never said that the story was leaked to be retaliatory to pennyss the media manager, has said that it was newsworthy, it was in the public interest. She initially suggested giving it to the Daily Telegraph. There was another external media manager who was in the room who said let's give it to twogb instead.
Speaker 1: Here's what media manager Sally Klaurin told the Parliamentary Inquiry about that meeting in December and what were you.
Speaker 3: Hoping to achieve in terms of media strategy by giving an exclusive on this to either the Daily Telegraph or the two GB.
Speaker 2: That the public would be informed.
Speaker 3: So the public and the public would be informed about about well, exactly what did you hope to inform the public about by providing an exclusive to two GB about the unusual activity of the acknowledgment of country being given. So the intention was to have it called out as unusual Potentially.
Speaker 4: The Parliamentary Inquiry ended up finding that it wasn't in the public interest, it wasn't newsworthy, and it was likely leaked to retaliate against Penelope Loss. So the committee it wasn't able to obtain definitive evidence that that was what occurred, but ultimately it found that on balance it was most likely that Sally Dowling was involved in the authorization of this leak and that it was done to retaliate against Penelope Loss. But that is not what Sally Dowling says. Sally Dowling says that she was texting, she was on her phone, she was reading emails, She was distracted during that meeting, and she did not give her express endorsement or authorization for this story.
Speaker 2: To be leaked. Yeah, she's reacted very strongly to any suggestion that she would have ever agreed to this course of action. She said that she regrets not paying more attention in the meeting. Presumably she would have stopped this happening if she had been paying attention. That's I guess the inference we can from that.
Speaker 6: I was doing other work at the end of the meeting there. I mean, you know, this is not a regular meeting that I attended, and I was doing other things that I was I didn't understand that this was what was being proposed in this discussion. It was happening, and I was aware that it was happening. I was not an active participant.
Speaker 7: And when you said to us that you were busy attending.
Speaker 1: So the Parliamentary Committee brings down its report and it is not convinced that Sally Delling was telling it the truth right correct.
Speaker 4: It suggested that she gave false evidence and that she quote seriously obstructed them from being able to do their important parliamentary work.
Speaker 5: She has completely rejected that I.
Speaker 6: Did not authorize the proactive pitching of that story, and I wouldn't have and if I had understood that that was what was being proposed, I would have interrupted that process. And I think that that is an answer to your question.
Speaker 5: There was no suggestion from anybody who gave evidence in the inquiry that the information was leaked in order to retaliate against Penelope. Was was a judge who had been critical of.
Speaker 2: Her office coming up?
Speaker 1: How do we feel about a culture of legal leaks? So the majority report of this multi party committee was critical of Sally Dowling, but there is a dissenting report as well from other MPs who are quite staunch in the disagreement.
Speaker 2: What did they say?
Speaker 4: We had a Green's MP, two Labor MPs who were incredibly critical of this report. They came through and said that this was basically a witch hunt, that they had never seen a committee be set up in this way.
Speaker 5: In order to attack one single.
Speaker 4: Person, and also to say that the conclusions that were reached by the committee, the conclusions that this was leaked under the authorization of Sally Dowling, that she endorsed it, and also that it was done in order to retaliate against Penelope was We're completely unfounded based off of.
Speaker 5: The evidence it was provided to the committee.
Speaker 1: The support that Sally Dowling has received since this report came down has been quite remarkable. The Attorney General, Michael Daily says he backs to her one hundred percent. He's going to get a senior counsel to review the findings of the committee. Many many other the most senior figures across the law in Australia have.
Speaker 2: Backed her in.
Speaker 1: One of the recommendations of the committee was that there be a kind of parliamentary oversight body of the DPP, something that has been suggested before and has always been rejected by lawyers as really a breach of the separation of powers that Parliament and the judiciary and the legal system need to be separate. You can just see politicians would absolutely love to get control of prosecutions in this state, right.
Speaker 4: Of course, and this is a suggestion that's been floated for a little while now. I've been reporting on this sort of such for a few years and it's come up quite a few times. The suggestion is often that well, ikak has an i CAAQ inspector, right, there's somebody who oversees the Independent Commission against Corruption in New South Wales, there's one in the Northern Territory, and we should have a similar body that's overseeing the ODPP.
Speaker 2: The criticism of.
Speaker 4: That suggestion, I guess, is that, well, hold on, the ODPP needs to be independent. You can't have a parliamentary committee overseeing the ODPP because then how does that work with the separation of powers in the state.
Speaker 1: It's not surprising that two very senior figures in the same profession would have beef with one another about this, that and the other. But it's remarkable when these conflicts spill into the public domain, isn't it?
Speaker 5: Totally?
Speaker 4: And look, I've got no skin in this game. I've just been reporting on it for a couple of years. But what's so interesting about this is that there are two versions of events of what happened here, and they could not be more.
Speaker 2: Different on the surface.
Speaker 1: I think you know, people might expect that judges and lawyers are all very proper and that they don't talk to journalists and that everything is above board and it's only what they say in court that matters.
Speaker 2: We know that is not the truth.
Speaker 1: In fact, these are human beings that are talking to journalists all the time. One course of action would have been to say, well, yeah, our office did leave this information.
Speaker 2: We thought it was relevant. You know, there you go.
Speaker 1: Sally Dowling, of course, was giving evidence on oath and there's no suggestion that she's not telling the truth.
Speaker 2: But it's intriguing to.
Speaker 1: Me that this is kind of regarded as a red hot accusation because unfathomable that senior lawyers would be talking to the media.
Speaker 4: As I mentioned, it's uncontroversial that the information came from the ODPP, and we're journalists, right, that's leaks to how we do our job. And I guess the newsworthiness to this story has always been rooted in the question of well, was this leaked in order to retaliate against a judge who had been critical of the Office of the ODPP. Was there an ulterior motive going on there? Now that's been staunchly denied by Sally Dowling and members of the ODPP. Despite the Parliamentary Committee saying that that was the case. As you said, Michael Daily, the Attorney General has said that's absolute blogoney. But I guess that's been the question to be probed. Are we satisfied with this suggestion that prosecutors would leak against judges in order to damage their reputation.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling this is going to yield a lot more stories. Alien.
Speaker 1: It won't be the last time we talk about it on the front, so I'll look forward to that. Thank you very much, thank you for having me. Ellie Dudley is The Australian's National Chief of Staff. You can check out Ellie's work and all the scoops anytime at the Australian dot com dot au