Speaker 1: Weber Lal Milba. You're listening to seven am. I'm Ruby Jones. We have all come here together and from far away from the mura Yuga lands. When UNESCO voted to put the Murajuga cultural landscape in Northwest Australia on the World Heritage List, they recognized the ancient rock art as a masterpiece of human creative genius. It was a reflection of the work of the Muraduga traditional owners who fought for the carvings to be recognized on the world stage two.
Speaker 2: Or three decades ago. This journey started on a lot of by our old people.
Speaker 3: They're not here today.
Speaker 2: This this is for them. And what I'd also like to say just quickly, is that today we create our own stories in the stone.
Speaker 1: But what went on behind the scenes shows how little a heritage listing does to stop gas companies, the government that profits from them, all the effects of climate change. Today. National correspondent from the Saturday Paper Mike Sekham on YUNESCO, Woodside and the future of the Marojuga. It's Tuesday, July twenty two, So Mike, let's start with this site that is at the center of this debate. The Marojuga in northwest western Australia. Tell me a bit about the place. Why is it so.
Speaker 3: Significant, Well, it's the site of millions of petroglyphs, one to possibly two million. They haven't finished documenting them all, which are scattered across the Barrett Peninsula and the damp Here Archipelago.
Speaker 1: Mala holand.
Speaker 4: Yoga is a place that, you know, it's respected by the Aboriginal people of this area and it's come to be respected by the wider community for what's here. You know, it's the Bible of Aboriginal people. Soame as white men got a church.
Speaker 3: These patroglyphs, of course, are evidence of continuous human habitation for fifty thousand years or more, so it's a big deal. This is possibly the biggest collection of ancient rock art anywhere in the world, and for the past twenty odd years it's been the subject of a campaign by the traditional owners to have it listed with UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, tell me more about that push for UNESCO listing. What does getting something like that mean for a place like Marijuga.
Speaker 3: Well, because World Heritage listing is reflected in domestic law. Essentially it provides an additional layer of protection under the EPBC Act, that's the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act, to safeguard the future event any site listed. So what it means in practice is that any actions that have potential significant impacts on a World Heritage area have to be ticked off by the Federal Environment Minister.
Speaker 5: So you may remember that a few months ago I announced my proposed decision about an application to build the Central Queensland coal Mine.
Speaker 3: For example, a couple of years ago, the former Environment Minister Tanya Plibasek knocked over a proposal by one of Clive Palmer's companies to open a new coal mine adjacent to the Great Berrier Reef on the basis that runoff from the mine could affect the World Heritage values of the reef.
Speaker 5: The project would have had unacceptable impacts on freshwater in the area and potentially on fragile seagrass meadows that feed jugongs and provide breeding grounds for fish just off the coast.
Speaker 3: In the case of Marojogga, of course, the area is already home to heavy industry. There's a huge gas export facility in the port of Karatha that's run by Woodside Energy. Incidentally, when Woodside was building it's gas plant, it basically destroyed a whole bunch of these petroglyphs, blew them up. Essentially, they removed some more, but they completely destroyed others. There were concerns voiced by some scientists, by environmentalists and by traditional owners that emissions from the industry in the area were degrading the rock art. So one particular group of traditional custodians, that Save our Songlines group, joined with conservationists and I guess you could say saw Murga as a chance to not only protect the rock art but also to curb the carbon emissions coming out of the area, and at the start of the year UNESCO agreed with them. They found that the government's proposal for listing should be referred back to the government for further work.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what happened after that.
Speaker 3: Well, there was a draft decision on May twenty six from an advisory body to UNESCO that found that the emissions from the heavy industry, including Woodside, was degrading the rocket and they proposed some pretty radical measures requiring the government to earn I'm quoting here, ensure the total removal of degrading acidic emissions and to prevent any further development and to plan for the decommissioning of the industry already there so was a pretty big deal. Problem was two days later the Federal Labor government released a proposed decision from the new Environment Minister Murray Watt that would allow Woodside to keep operating the gas facility and the port. He proposed to allow operations that were to have finished in twenty thirty to continue for another forty years, that is out to twenty seventy.
Speaker 6: Today, Federal Environment Minister Murray Watt approved an extension to the nearby Northwest Shelf Project, subject to strict conditions relating to the impact of air emissions from the operation of an expanded onshore Caratha gas plant.
Speaker 3: And that in turn paves the way for a whole bunch of new fossil fuel projects, you know, gas mining in the northwest of Western Australia to feed this plant. So bottom line to all of this is that the estimate is that the area could produce what environmentalists are calling accurately, I would suggest a carbon bomb, you know, releasing four point three billion with a b tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere over the life of the planet. Right.
Speaker 1: So that's two very different competing visions for the future of the Morro Jugger. One where the rock cut is protected and the fossil fuel industry in the area is dismantled, and the other is where the entire area becomes, as you say, a carbon bomb, and there's the potential for even more mining developments to open up. So tell me what happened.
Speaker 3: Well, the World Heritage Committee earlier this month unanimously decided to list Moro Juggur, So that's the good news. But it also amended the earlier draft decision and walked back the proposed d industrialization of the area. So the traditional owners now have UNESCO Heritage listing for Moro Juga. Great, but Woodside can keep on operating, you know, with all the attendant climate consequences.
Speaker 1: After the break the afternoon tea that led to UNESCO changing.
Speaker 7: Their mind, I therefore declared the Drug Decision Decision forty seven come eight to b point thirteen adopted as amended.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Mike, tell me then what we know about UNESCO's decision making here to list the area.
Speaker 3: But with this amendment, well, it seems to be the result of furious lobbying in the first place by the Australian government. Murray what, for example, hosted more than a dozen ambassadors from nations that are currently represented on the World Heritage Committee, had them around for tea duchess them, presumably with a view to getting this result. He's been lobbying in other international forums. And furthermore, he pronounced the draft decision was full of what he called factual inaccuracies, and that it relied on media and NGO advice IE environment groups rather than scientific advice in reaching its earlier decision that the area should be de industrialized.
Speaker 8: In the end, what persuaded the committee was both the scientific evidence that was put forward which disputed some of the claims that were being made, but also the genuine passion from the traditional owners to see this World Heritage listing be secured.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, so tell me who is right here?
Speaker 3: Well, this is where it gets complicated, right. There is scientific and expert evidence on both sides of the issue. Here. There is scientific and expert evidence of damage to the petroglyphs, but a recent report involving about fifty scientists and the more Jugger Aboriginal Corporation who were proposing the listing, and the WA Department of Water and Environmental Regulation found that there had been damage to the rock Cart, but much of it was from historic emissions, not current ones, in particular a decommission powerhouse that used to be there, And the finding was that acid rain had damaged the rock cart in the past, but what was causing the acid rain was sulfur dioxide emissions. There was a lot of sulfur in those days in the fuel that was used by industry. There is no longer nearly as much sulfur and fuel as there used to be, so the finding was that there was no longer a problem with acid rain. The rain that was falling on these petroglyphs was pretty much pH neutral or slightly alkaline. So on this very specific issue of acid rain damaging the rock cart, they found it was no longer a problem. Of course, then there's the broader problem of greenhouse gases. But as the scientist told me, that wasn't their brief. They weren't there to assess wh that this was bad for the climate. They accept that it's bad for the climate. They were there to assess whether it was bad for the rock Art and they determined it wasn't.
Speaker 1: So, Mike, we've gone from having this draft decision which says that the rock art needs to be protected from these industries, to then having this finding that says, well, it can be listed with the industries that are damaging it can also continue. So does this really undermine the meaning of even providing a UNESCO listing?
Speaker 3: Hard question? I think unbalanced. It's a good thing that it's been a World Heritage listed, right, So that's the case. And Minister what has said that he will impose some conditions on industry in the area. We haven't seen those yet because so far, you know, we've only got his proposed decision. We have ongoing negotiations between his department and Woodside about the conditions that might pertain, So we'll have to wait and see about those. But you know, there's a bunch of money at the bottom of this, isn't there. I mean, Woodside has contribute a lot of royalties and tax dollars to the Australian treasury over the years following the extension that you know, obviously they will contribute a lot more. The Western Australian government in particular is very much beholden to the gas industry, and by extension, so is the federal government, because the federal government wants to hold on to its seats in Western Australia. So you know, the process does seem to have been very much the result of lobbying. Some of the more Juga traditional owners that Save our song Lians group complained that they didn't get a sufficient chance to state their case at the World Heriage meeting in Paris. Various of the countries that sponsored the amendments to the original draft to remove them were big in the gas industry. You know, Japan, Koreer take a lot of Australian gas. Qatar was in They're a major gas producer. So there's a sort of somewhat unholy mix here of the profit motive and electoral incentives for the labor government.
Speaker 1: So where does all of this leave us, Mike, what does the few to look like?
Speaker 3: For more Jogger, Well, I would make the point that Katha, which is the nearest town which is where these industrial facilities are, it's already one of the hottest places in Australia. I mean it has a record temperature that approaches fifty degrees celsius. You'd have to think that, you know, another another forty years fifty years of emissions from the gas industry in Australia is only going to make things worse. So you know, climate change, we know it's going to happen. There will be sea level rises which will incidentally affect some of the petroglyphs. It's a very cyclonic area up there. There will be bigger, more powerful storms. Like I said, it's already one of the hottest parts of Australia, if not the world. So the petroglyphs may survive, but you have to wonder how the traditional custodians will endure the climate of the future.
Speaker 1: Mike, thank you for your time.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: We've invited Environment Minister Murray what on the show. We hope to bring you in interview with him soon. Also in the news, Larissa Waters has backed the decision making process that led to the expulsion of one of the Australian Green's co founders from the party, saying nobody is above the rules. Co founder Drew Hutton was removed from the Greens over claims he fostered debate the party deems as transphobic Following a complaint, a Greens committee found that while Hutton himself had not demeaned trans women, he had provided a platform for others to do so. Hutton says the dispute is a matter of free speech and the Greens have lost their way. Meanwhile, Waters says the party's work on environmental, climate, economic and social justice doesn't stop because of one man's focus on how other people identify it, and Victorian Premier to Center Alan has promised a statewide register of childcare within weeks. Alan conceded that childcare regulations have not worked after revelations that allowed adg pedophile Joshua Dale Brown was sacked from multiple centers and able to continue working across the state. The Premier didn't comment on the specifics of Brown's case, but said the Working with Children CHECH process would be considered as part of a broad review into the sector, and that the state based register would eventually be absorbed into a national register. I'm Ruby Jones. This is seven am. Thanks for listening.