Speaker 1: This is Business Now with Edward Boyd.
Speaker 2: Hi and welcome to Business Now. Thanks to your company today. I'm Edward Boyd coming up on the program. Foreign Minister Penny Wong has met with her American counterpart in Washington, where they discussed China's dominance of the critical minerals market and the way Australia can help improve global supply. The CEO of the Minerals Council of Australia, Tanya Constable, is up shortly. The Trump Administration's One Big Beautiful Bill has narrowly passed the US Senate and voting now shifts to the House of Representatives.
Speaker 1: So what does this bill mean for Australia?
Speaker 2: The Reserve Bank and interest rates investment strategist Stephen Miller from GSFM will explain the details. Plus, insurance claims are already being lodged by House Salton businesses on the East Coast which have been smashed by heavy winds, rain and surf. The Insurance Council of Australia is going to give us an update on this severe weather event.
Speaker 1: That's all on today's show.
Speaker 2: Other stories today you should know about QUANTUS says the personal data of up to six million customers may have been stolen in a significant cyber attack. On Monday, Perline detected unusual activity on a third party platform used by a Quantus call center, which held six million customer records. Now the data stolen by hackers includes names, emails, phone numbers, birth dates, and frequent fly numbers. Quantas says the system did not hold credit card details, pin numbers, passport numbers or personal financial information. Here's the share price reaction. Quantas today dropped two point two three percent. Domino's Pizza chairman and major shareholder Jack Cowen has taken control of managing the retailer after its CEO abruptly resigned this morning. Mister Cowen controls about twenty six percent of the company and has more than five decades experience running fast food restaurants in Australia, including Hungary Jackson KFC. He's assumed the role of executive chairman following the shop resignation of a CEO, Mark Van Dyke. Mister van Dyke only joined Domino's in November last year, but this morning he surprised the market by announcing he would finish up in December. A global recruitment search to find his replacement has already begun now. Domino shares dropped so much today the ASX hit them with a speeding ticket. Let's see how the market finished up today. It opened high this morning, surged in the afternoon.
Speaker 1: All sectors were in the green except for tech stocks, which slumped.
Speaker 2: The market finished the day up point six six percent, which is a record high close, beating the previous record by about five points, so we're at a record closed there. Farm managers Perpetual and margell And jumped after they were both upgraded by brokers. Platinum Asset Management lifted after a Japanese investor.
Speaker 1: Raised at stake to six percent.
Speaker 2: Building materials company James Hardy lifted after completing its takeover of the US decking business azek a AMP was up five point five percent. Lender's Mortgage insurance provided a Heelia dropped after it lost IG Bank as a client. Now they comprised about seventeen percent of its gross written premiums in twenty twenty four, they shared twenty one percent. Medicine making Means of Last was down Bind Now Pay Later business ZIP was sold off, along with the childcare company GAD Education and the grain handler Grain Corp. Well, the American Senate has narrowly passed the Trump administration's tax and spending bill, dubbed the One Big Beautiful Bill, which is expected to increase the US deficit by three point three trillion US dollars by twenty thirty four. Now, the House of Representatives is expected to begin voting on this bill tomorrow. But what does it mean for Australia and the Reserve Bank? Joining me now is Stephen Miller from GSFM.
Speaker 1: Stephen, thanks for your time, pleasure.
Speaker 2: It's getting closer to passing Congress this bill. There's already, though, big concerns with America's high level of debt, that's true. What's this Is this just going to make the budget even worse?
Speaker 3: I think if this gets through the House in a form that more or less got through the Senate, I think there's two things that we need to be wary of well, first of all, and none of which are going to repair Donald Trump's relationship with Jerome Powell.
Speaker 1: Just incidentally.
Speaker 3: First thing might be that it may make inflation even stickier by adding to the deficit, right, And I think that's something that will be causing Jerome Power to scratch his head as he wakes his way back from CenTra in Portugal. I think the other thing, and this is what you alluded to in your introduction, was that when you've got a budget deficit of six and a half percent of GDP, which is probably a record outside of wartime and pandemic, you've got to fund it, and you fund it by selling bonds. And if you're going to increase the supply of bonds because the deficit's bigger, you're probably going to have to pay higher interest rates in order to do so. So I worry that in the short term the impact might be to keep inflation higher, meaning the reserve, the Federal Reserve is more reticent to cut rates, and in the longer term, because these things can't be turned around quickly, that investors are going to demand a higher risk premium from US Treasury bonds, which is going to see bond yields stickier up in an upwards direction, and that ultimately might mean that there's headwinds for the performance of the US equity market. Now, bond guys like may have been sort of talking about this for ages and ages and ages, and you know, as you said in your introduction, you know, risk markets keep hitting record highs. But you know, I think, as you know, we get further and further and these sort of measures that are associated with the big beautiful bill start to hit home, we might start the seas and adverse consequences, certainly first in interest rate markets and inflation, and then back on equity markets as higher bond yields create stronger headwinds for the performance of equity markets.
Speaker 2: Well, you mentioned Jerome Power being over in Portugal last night, and he did a press conference basically where he spoke and said he's been keeping rates on hold partly due to President Trump's tariffs as the looming issue for their economy.
Speaker 3: Yes, and you know, I think that's understandable. We know where Chairman Power's coming from. If we could get a handle on what President Trump's tariff measures actually were, it might be a bit easier for him, But he can't. And I think what Chairman Powe's worried about is that price increases in the US as a result of tariff in positions run the risk of being ongoing reflected in inflation expectations, meaning that it's harder to get inflation down, meaning rates have to stay higher, and then it's associated with what I said earlier, because you've got to sell more bonds to fund that higher deficit bond neil to higher and ultimately there are there are headwinds to equity markets that come from that. The Federal Reserve recently, I think put in what I've termed a stagflation light scenario for this year. It's not the seventies, you know, but it's inflation stuck at three percent or a bit above, and growth, you know, not doing well. And you know, measures like the big beautiful Bill I don't think or tariffs don't do anything to help alleviate those pressures.
Speaker 2: All right, what about our Reserve bank? We had some kind of soft retail figures today. Really, yeah, because how are they going to react next week when they hold their next cash rate decision.
Speaker 1: Look, I suspect they'll cut rates.
Speaker 3: The market thinks, markets pricing something like ninety five percent chance that they'll cut rates. And we can see that, we can get that, you know, GDP growth this week, GDP per capital growth this week, retail sales. As you mentioned, these are for May, so they're quite recent readings their week. What we saw from the RBA last time is it's worried about a deteriorating global economic environment.
Speaker 1: Still happen, and it can still happen.
Speaker 3: And I don't think there's anything you know untoward about worrying about that. I think that's quite proper. What sort of in the back of my mind, though, is a couple of things that go the other way. And I think when the RBA and when Michelle Bullick tells us that the bank can deliver a decisive response to a deteriorating international economic environment, and despite the things I said earlier, we yet to see it in the hard data. So that's point one zero point two. The labor mark. It is in robust good health. If we believe the labor force NUMBERSO point three, we've got a very sluggish productivity performance. That means you're not labour cost growth. It's something around five and a half percent. You wonder how that's consistent with the RBA achieving the midpoint of its target range of two to three percent. But against that, the RBA is confidently predicted, or confidently as it can predict inflation going to the middle of the band. The monthly reads would just encourage them in that direction. And if you combine that with a weak economy, I think that's enough to get them across the line for a rate cut in July. I'm not as confident as the bond market, which seems to rate that prospect at about ninety five percent, but I certainly think the balance of probabilities tilt toward a rate reduction when the RBA meet next week rather than an on Hoole decision.
Speaker 1: And could there be some more cuts later.
Speaker 3: In the year, Yes, indubitably if the sorts of risks that the RBA have been talking about in terms of a deteriorating economic environment, if growth doesn't live here, if inflation turns out as they expect and hits the middle of that band, they can certainly cut rates multiple times before the end.
Speaker 4: Of the year.
Speaker 2: Stephen Miller from GSFM, thanks for your time, No, it's a pleasure, thank you. Or In Minister Penny Wong has met with Australia's Quad Partners in Washington, d C. Where the group of leaders from America, Japan and India discussed a commitment to free and open trade in the Indo Pacific. Now China's dominance of the rare earths and critical minerals market was a key talking point which was flagged by US Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
Speaker 5: And there are many topics that we can work on and focus on. One that I've personally been very focused on is diversifying the global supply chain of critical minerals, not just access to the raw material, but also access to the ability to process and refrain it to usable material. It's critical for all technologies and for all industries across the board, and so having a diverse and reliable global supply chain of these is just one example of many that we can focus on.
Speaker 2: A separate meeting in Washington overnight included thirty to forty companies from the coordinations, including the Aussie minors BHP and Linus who can help with supplying critical minerals. So for more on this, I'm joined by the CEO of the Minerals Council of Australia, Tanya Constable. Tanya, thanks for your time. It sounds like the Quad leaders are pretty concerned with China's dominance of the critical minerals and rare Earth's market. I mean, how much power do they have over the supply chain?
Speaker 4: Well, great to be with you, Ed, China has a considerable dominance across a range of critical minerals. A lot of the critical minerals processed occurs in China, so it's important that countries develop strategic partnerships. And it was great to see that the meeting on the Quad between Australia, the United States, India and Japan occur because it is so essential and the relationship between particularly the United States with Secretary Rubio and also our Foreign Minister Awong was great to see that relationship develop because it will be essential to developing supply chains in critical minerals and Australia has it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, BHP and Linus, we're hearing we're in Washington overnight talking up their offerings in the critical mineral space. I mean, how big a role can Australia play here in the critical mineral supply chain.
Speaker 4: Well, we can play an enormous part. Not only are we very strategic at the mining end, but we are also starting to do more processing of some of the critical minerals. And it's well known that Linus as a company is so essential outside of China. It is the biggest company on rare US outside of China and it sits in Australia. It has fantastic relationships with Japan and Malaysia, United States, and of course in Australia. So it is our most strategic company at the moment outside of China. So we need to maintain that company that relationship, do further processing in rare earth which are critical for things like electronics, semiconductors across the electric vehicles and in defense materials. So that BHP and Linus and other companies were present and having their own discussions in the United States really marks a step forward in a range of relationships so critical for global supply chains, on critical minerals and for modern technology in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: Our government launched a critical mineral strategy a couple of years ago designed to grow our output. I mean, how has that been tracking?
Speaker 1: In your eyes?
Speaker 4: It's an important It was an important first step. It demonstrated to companies around the world that we were taking this area of critical minerals very seriously. It showed the dimension of what we had available on raw materials, that we were open for business on investment in Australia, and importantly that the government was showing support for critical minerals down the supply chain. We can't do that by ourselves though as a country, because supply chains must occur at the various levels of not just the raw materials, but the manufacturing and the supply of end use materials. So developing partnerships and matching up critical minerals lists across across countries at a global level is really important to make sure that we do secure the supply chains that are needed to produce the end use materials. Again that modern the modern world needs that we use every day in our households, in the way that we might build our cities, conduct our everyday lives and things like transport as good examples.
Speaker 2: And do we have the policy settings right here in Australia at the moment to attract that global investment into the mining sector.
Speaker 4: We've been moving towards better investment conditions. Of course, I've said a number of times we would like to see more done on specific areas that are critical for investment. Areas around industrial relations and making sure that there's balance on employer employee relationships and wages very critical. We need to make sure energy prices are brought down as much as possible. We need to make sure that we have our taxation settings right, and then if we want to get more minds on the ground and make sure that we've got the minds for the future, then then we need to speed up environmental assessment approval processes and I believe that we can do that. That is a really critical area that governments around Australia are focused on. The federal government has been focused on and I've participated in very good meetings with Minister Watt, who is trying to make sure that he's working with states, working with business, working with environmental groups to make sure that we get the right sort of settings, particularly around environment to move the dial and get those minds built for the future. So progress is being made, but we need to see a lot more in that space. It's only having those settings done together holistically that will ensure that Australia has the right investment conditions to signal to the world that we are open for business and we make sure that projects not just in mining but across a range of industries occur.
Speaker 2: Tanny Constable, Chief Executive of the Minerals Council of Australia, thanks for coming.
Speaker 1: On the show.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me ed.
Speaker 2: After the break the severe weather event that's smashing the East Coast is already causing damage and generating insurance claims. The Insurance Council of Australia is up next welcome back. Insurance claims are already being lodged by households and businesses who have been caught up in the East Coast low which has battered the New South Wales coast with wind, surf and rain. The total insured cost of extreme weather events this year is already one point eight billion dollars thanks to three major severe weather events which have created almost one hundred and fifty thousand insurance claims. Here's a look at the performance of the Ossie insurance stocks today.
Speaker 1: You can see they were all sold off.
Speaker 2: I caught up with Matthew Jones from the Insurance Council of Australia a little earlier.
Speaker 6: The Insurance Council has been in touch with its members today and there are a small number of claims that have come in from a result of the East Coast low that we're experiencing in New South Wales right now. Of course, we'll keep watching brief on that insurers are leaning into this issue already. We know that, for example, thirty dozen people have been without power, so that may lead dis some claims around food spoilage, but it's a low number of claims at this stage.
Speaker 2: How quickly could insurers step in and react to events like this and provide support for customers as.
Speaker 6: Soon as it's stays to do so. Insurers are set up to respond to these types of events, and unfortunately over the last few years that had a lot of experience responding to events just like this, so you know they're ready to be on the ground and support their customers as soon as it is safe to do so.
Speaker 2: I mean, just looking at this calendar year alone, we've obviously had quite a few extreme weather events already. I mean, how much roughly have they cost the insurance sector?
Speaker 6: Then you dart up with out today by the Insurance Council shows that we've had three extream of the events that we've declared insurance catastrophes so far this year. The largest vote, of course, was xtc Alfred, and we saw around one hundred and twenty five thousand claims from that event at around one point two billion dollars, so that's a pretty sizable event. The good thing with that event is though that the average claim was reasonably low, which shows that a lot of the damage was from minor was minor and claims were paid very quickly. We've also had two other events, the North Queensland floods and most recently the Mid North Coast and Hunter floods. They were also much more modest than xtc Alfred. So around one hundred and ninety four million for the most recent event on the Hunter and Mid North Coast and children's seventy million for the one in Queensland and around eleven thousand claims from each of those events. That's not unusual for this time of year that we call it the storm season during summer, so Australia does experience a lot of flooding during that period, particularly in the North. So it's not unusual in the fact this year has been on the lower side compared to some of the years have experienced since twenty nineteen twenty when the Black Snoblish fires impacted large parts of the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously a lot of the claims you're talking about there stemming from ext tropical cyclone out for it. I mean, how's the rebuilding process going from that weather event?
Speaker 6: Well as Ron McCall's very fortunate it didn't have the impact that was feared as it hung off the coast of Australia for a number of days. And so as I said, you know, a lot of the claims were for minor damage. We're actually seeing insurers pay those claims at a pretty fast clip, so we're very pleased with the responsive insurance to that event. Insurance also deployed a lot of resources before that event. They were proactively calling customers letting them know what they should do if they did experience that it did have a need to make a claim. They had additional resources both on the ground and in their contact centers and so they were ready to go and that's helped with getting those claims passed through very quickly.
Speaker 2: Matthew Jones from Insurance Council of Australia, thanks for coming on the show.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: So that's all for today's program. Thanks to your company today.
Speaker 1: We'll see tomorrow.