Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Thursday, July thirty, twenty twenty six. A new blood test for Alzheimer's disease and it promises to detect the condition twenty years before symptoms emerge. Australia's recorded a two hundred and fifty percent increase in reported anti Semitic incidents in the past two and a half years, the biggest surge of any country with a significant Jewish population. Those stories alive right now at the Australian dot com dot au. It's more than seven years since Brittany Higgins was raped inside Federal Parliament, but the reverberations of that event continue now. Higgins boss at the time, has won a payout from the Commonwealth after she accused them of breaching her workplace right and effectively blaming her. So what does it all mean for everyone else who works in the emotionally charged and hr free political bubble. Stephen Rice is here in just a moment. I wasn't a person who'd just gone through a life changing traumatic event.
Speaker 2: I was a political problem.
Speaker 3: The worst thing you can say to a woman she brought plus another woman's rape.
Speaker 1: Stephen rice is The Australian's New South Wales editor and for years now he's been covering the saga triggered by Britney Higgins allegation of rape against Bruce Lamb and a claim that was found in the Federal Court to be true on the balance of probabilities. Ricey this case has damaged the careers of almost everyone who's come into contact with it, and the person whose story is probably the most compelling and touching I think is Fiona Brown. She was the chief of staff to Linda Reynolds, the minister when this allegation was first raised. There's been a big development in Fiona Brown's case against the Commonwealth.
Speaker 4: What's happened well, Fioda Brown had sued the Commonwealth over her treatment by the government and the government she was talking about it was the Morrison government because Fiona Brown felt that she had not been properly supported by Scott Morrison or any of his senior ministers while she was being attacked for these false allegations that she and Linda Reynolds were somehow responsible for not taking care of Brittany after she'd made these allegations and all that they'd been involved in a cover up of the whole thing for political purposes. At that point, she could quite rightly have expected that the government, her employer would step in and protect her, and instead, according to her, they did nothing of the sort. And so she's taken this action. She filed it eight months ago. It took the the government six months to even mount a defense, and it's a very flimsy defense, and last week the government agreed to settle with her.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty three, Stephen Rice and Janet al Bretson interviewed Fiona Brown about her story. You'll hear snippets of that conversation throughout this episode.
Speaker 3: You have is your name.
Speaker 5: That's what you're come in with, is what you go out with. You fight for your name.
Speaker 3: So that's what I did.
Speaker 1: This was heading for trial. It would have been a ripping trial, rising because we would have got Morrison to give evidence as well as other people. Are you slightly disappointed?
Speaker 4: I'm very happy for Fiona Brown that she's achieved a settlement. I don't know what it is, but hoping it's a decent settlement. But yes, to be perfectly honest, it would have been I think very revealing to have had Scott Morrison and his most senior advisors in the witness box giving evidence about the way that they conducted that whole episode. Don't forget there was a conflagration going on at around the time that Britney Higgins' allegations were revealed. The Morrison government was hugely under fire for allegedly not caring about women. We cannot trust this place, not while it operates like a shameful boy's only locker room. And this blew up as the prime example of the way that Morrison and his merry men didn't care about women in Parliament, women in general, but specifically about Britney Higgins. And of course the Prime Minister walked into Parliament and made a national apology about what had happened to her.
Speaker 2: I am sorry, we are sorry. I'm sorry to miss Higgins for the terrible things that took place here and the place that should have been a place of safety and contribution turned out to be a nightmare.
Speaker 4: And Fiona Brown, quite rightly, I think, felt that parts of this speech implied that she hadn't taken proper care of Britney Higgins. In fact, Fiona was the one who led Brittany by the hand down to the Police Office in Parliament to report this. So at least two judges now have expressed the view that there was no cover up, that both Linda Reynolds and Fiona Brown treated Brittney Higgins with the utmost care.
Speaker 1: Here's what Federal Court Justice Michael Lee said about that.
Speaker 6: Despite the expression implied criticism of her, Miss Brown went out of her way to reassure Miss Higgins and supported her and assisted her in contacting the police. As missus Brown her self put it, she did her professional best with what was given to her.
Speaker 4: So I think for these purposes for fionder Brown, it's great that she's come to the settlement.
Speaker 1: Her allegation against Scott Morrison, apart from a general feeling that she was excluded and that she was made to feel like a hindrance or a paying for the government, was that Morrison came past her desk after speaking in Parliament about this issue while he was under far from labor and said to her we've spoken, haven't we. What did that mean?
Speaker 4: Well, he was trying to imply after the fact that the two of them had spoken about the Brittney Higgins case because he just told Parliament that they had. She says that didn't happen. Not only did it not happen, but this was the first time after the whole thing broke that the Prime Minister had spoken to her at all. So she was shocked and I think bewildered, frightened when suddenly Morrison appears out of the blue and says, we've spoken, haven't we. And it would have been interesting to have heard Scott Morrison's recollection of that event on the witness stand I and he's publicly said that he doesn't remember the conversation that way, but he's also not willing to challenge Fiona Brown's version of it.
Speaker 1: Fiona Brown depicts that inner circle of the Morrison government as kind of the boys club closing ranks, and that she certainly felt very excluded. There's such an interesting kind of circularity to that, isn't there. Because Britney higgins allegation, which has been found by the Federal Court and the WA Supreme Court not to be made out on the facts, was that this was a misogynistic government that had actively concealed her rape. Fiona Brown makes a similar accusation of sort of sexism and of old school tie. I don't know fear of women, but coming from a very different point of view, doesn't she Where do we end up?
Speaker 5: How do you think about that? Look?
Speaker 4: For me, I think the principal harm done to Fiona Brown was done because the government found itself in the middle of this maelstrom.
Speaker 5: The me Too movement had reached its peak.
Speaker 4: The government was desperate to appear to be friendly towards women and well disposed towards these kinds of claims of sexual harassment, sexual assault. So I think those were the issues more at play. But yes, it did certainly seemed, and I think quite legitimately to founder Brown may have looked very much like a boys club at work.
Speaker 3: She made me in that program with the Project, more of the villain than Bruce Lehman. I was framed as the perpetrator in that interview.
Speaker 1: Fiona Brown was not the person I think that she was initially depicted as in that original Project story. She was not this sort of hard edged political operative hollow man for one of a better phrase. She was new to chief of staffing as her first job as a chief of staff, Linda Reynolds was kind of making her way up in the ministry, but was also not part of the kind of inner circle of kind evil liberal operative zo they were about to be. And I think if you manage people, the bind that Linda Reynolds and Fiona Brown found themselves in feels very real. A young person comes to you and says, something awful has happened, but I don't want to go to the police. I don't want there to be any more fuss about this. I'm moving on. Please don't make me make this into a big deal. Despite that, Fiona Brown did take her down to the police office Linda Reynolds. According to Fionda Brown in their federal court when she gave evidence there, Linda Reynolds was trying to order Fiona Brown to go to the police herself one stage, even if Brittany didn't want to go. What do you think you manage.
Speaker 5: People too right? For he?
Speaker 1: I mean, has it? Do you feel some of that dilemma that they were in?
Speaker 4: Oh? Absolutely, I mean nothing like this had ever happened, not only to them, nothing like this had ever happened to Parliament before. And here were these two women trying to do their best and to me it was a classic situation. On one side, Look, if she's saying that she's been secretly assaulted, we have to make her go to the police about it. And on the other side, no, she's got to have some agency herself in whether she goes to the police. It was a very difficult situation for both of them to be in, and certainly as far as Justice Lee, who examined this minutely in the federal court case that Bruce Leman had bought and lost, just as Lee found that both those women had acted in the best way that they could under the circumstances that they found themselves in at that time.
Speaker 1: Coming up, Will all this make any difference to politics. I think political staffers live by the assumption that they don't have the same workplace protections that the rest of us do. They are working in a sector where their bosses could get resolved at any time for kind of any reason if the prime Minister or the premier thinks they're a liability while they're out, and there's no unfair dismissile claims for politicians. That has kind of any assumption for political staffers too, that you could be punted at any moment, and bad luck if that happens to you. They all lose their jobs when an election is called, and then they just have to hope that they get reemployed if the government gets re elected. What is this settlement? How does this change our perception of where the political staffers do have some rights as employees.
Speaker 4: Well, unfortunately it didn't go to court, so there's no precedent. And again it would have been an interesting case because one of the claims that the Commonwealth makes in its defense against Fiona Brown is that the Prime Minister is entitled to make political decisions and have political conversations with his staff that aren't workplace conversations.
Speaker 5: Now, I find that absurd.
Speaker 4: If a Prime Minister comes along to one of his vulnerable staff, senior staff in the workplace and says, we've spoken, haven't.
Speaker 5: We about a workplace issue?
Speaker 4: I don't think that the Commonwealth is entitled to claim that that's not a workplace issue. But it did. That's what it says in its defense. It's extraordinary.
Speaker 1: It's kind of saying, well, the Prime Minister is not the Seoh he's not really the boss. That's kind of the argument.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but maybe he's not the ultimate boss. Maybe he doesn't pay her himself, but he was her manager. He was the person that she reported to in this political, come administrative, come public service position.
Speaker 1: Linda Reynolds has also feels extremely hard done by. She's very aggrieved and she's and she spent a huge amount of money on a deformation action which she won, but who knows whether her bills will get paid because Britney Higgins has now gone bankrupt. Brittany Higgins had been ordered to pay eighty percent of Miss Reynolds's legal costs. She will now be required to hand over her estate to an appointed trustee. So what's the former Senator Reynolds's case against the Commonwealth now and where does that go?
Speaker 4: Well, her case against the Commonwealth is slightly different from Fiona Brown's, So Linda Reynolds's issue was really about the two point four million dollars that the Albanese government handed over to Britney Higgins without so much as a question ian Apart from the very short time frames that were involved in that case. They literally relied on Britney Higgins to tell them what had happened. So Linda Reynolds is claiming that the government breached its fiduciary duty towards her and that by awarding Britney Higgins this two point four million dollars, it was essentially saying she was right and that then Senator Reynolds had been involved in something that shouldn't have occurred.
Speaker 1: Well, that might result in a settlement. Suddenly, to Rice, I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't be surprised either.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining me. Stephen Rice is The Australian's new South Wales editor. You can read all our journalism anytime at the Australian dot com dot au