Speaker 1: Apologie Production, Growing Glows Twelve Days of Christmas.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Grow and Glow. It's our final day of the Twelve Days of Christmas. I've got Katie, my producer here. Thanks for joining me.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: It's like the last episode of the Twelve Days of Christmas, but the last episode of Growing Glow. Yes, out of all the twelve Days of Christmas, what's been your favorite episode?
Speaker 1: My favorite episode was with Carlia Lake.
Speaker 2: True. Yes, I knew you're going to say that.
Speaker 1: Thanks worker. Yeah, She's so interesting. I could literally talk to her all day.
Speaker 2: I love that she's such an open book, Like she literally answered all the questions I had, and she was so free to talk about it.
Speaker 1: And I think as a woman as well, like I think there's a kind of assumption that you're like, oh, no, that would be awful, But then when you hear a talk, there's kind of a part of me that's.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, I know, it sounds exciting. Yeah, especially because she is very picky on her client and she can literally look up their background, look what they look like. She's really investigate who she's going to go and spend time with. Blew my mind.
Speaker 1: How little sex she actually has though. Yeah. It's a lot about connection, yeah, and about conversations crazy, and about men being heard, which is it's so interesting because we think that men don't need that.
Speaker 2: I so do. Yeah, yeah, alrighty, well let's get into it. I thought we'd start off today's episode with ins and out, so things that we want to bring in too twenty twenty five and things you want to say goodbye to. So my one is more fun and less pressure and every day living. A lot more fun brought into my everyday life. And if it doesn't bring me joy and make me excited for it, then it's just not meant for me. I feel like I've been in business for a very long time and I feel like you have to do things you don't want to do. But I'm in this place now, maybe call me privilege where I actually get to choose what I do and where I spend my time, and I want it to be fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that's why I'm putting so much into this podcast, because I literally love coming up here so much and I go back home just so excited and like all this inspired energy, and I want more of that.
Speaker 1: I love the quote do what you love and the money will come. So true, And I totally get you know, we have bills to pay and kids to feed and all the rest of it. But yeah, do what you love and the money will come. I'm such a believer in that. And I say that to my kids as well when they say, oh, you know the teachers at school, so you got to have a backup plan, And I'm like, do what you love. Yeah, like your backup plan you most probably won't need if you're so passionate about what you're doing.
Speaker 2: And isn't the dream to be able to do something you love and make amazing money off it. I would hate to be working in nine to five just to pay my bills. But that's what I got taught in school as well. It's like you go to UNI or you get a job to pay your bills. That's life.
Speaker 1: But no, look at things like Facebook. Like when Mark Zuckerberg started up Facebook, he didn't know how he was going to monetize it. He had a passion for what he was doing. He knew that people were going to use it and love it, and then them monetizing came later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so cool. So that's my inn. My out is abandoning myself. I'm not suppressing or allowing myself to have the full experiences, even if it's uncomfortable and no more distracting. So what I mean by that is I spoke about it in a previous episode. I realized when I was feeling something, I would distract myself away from it through food, through scrolling, or through being busy because it just got so uncomfortable, or the kids were there. I just like, do you know what to do with all these heavier emotions? And I worked three months with a life coach, and she's a feminine body life coach, and I've just learned tools now how to soothe myself in those moments to not have to carry them around so heavily. So now when I feel something, I fully allow myself to have the whole experience. But I don't sit there either. And if I don't, if I go to my phone, or if I go and have a snack or get into work, I'm literally abandoning myself. I'm not only abandoning myself as an full grown a woman, I'm abanding my inner child as well. I look at my kids, I'm like, I would never do that to them, So why am I doing that to myself. So that's out, like, I'm not doing that anymore.
Speaker 1: Feel the feels it's so important. It's like when we were kids it was don't cry, stop crying. Now it's like we know how important it is to cry and let all of that out, and even the horrible feelings, the yucky feelings that things like the jealousy or the y you do your own head in going that's not a feeling that I should be feeling, Yes.
Speaker 2: It is. It's valid. We all feel like that sometimes, and if it doesn't come up, if you put shame around it and you push it down, it will come up. It will just come up in a really ugly way that you're not proud of. You'll take it out on someone and you'll lash out. You'll have a big explosion. You'll be like, holy shit, what was that? But it's because you've suppressed and shamed. If you just bring it up and allow it to be there and still love on yourself, it moves a lot quicker and you just get to get it out of your system. Doesn't mean that you are a jealous person. It's you are having feelings of jealousy, and we all experience that yes, it's normal, all right, what's your in and out?
Speaker 1: So my inn is slowing down, So not feeling like you have to hustle all the time, you have to work all the time, allowing yourself to be slower, to not race around having to do a million things and actually go to yourself. Is that gonna make my life harder? Right now? With the kids? You go, okay, they have to have a nutritious dinner tonight. But if you're rushing around doing after school activities and you know that you're going to get hardly any time, grab them some over eats. Yeah, like, just allow that and instead of giving yourself a hard time about it, go okay, is this going to make my life easier right now?
Speaker 2: Yes? It is? Okay? Great, or in that moment, it's like, what's more important to me? It's connection, It's just being with my kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, So slowing down, doing less, not saying yes to everything you're invited to, not like it's okay to say no, And the reason is I just want to be at home in my pajamas time that's okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, what's that saying? The people who matter don't mind. The people who mind don't matter. Yes, I love that saying because it's so true your true friends like of course babes stay home, like how do you?
Speaker 1: I'm being honest as well, not feeling like you need to make up an excuse the amount of times you go, oh, I'm so sorry, I can't do that. My dog is sick, you know, like, no, just I've got people and honesty. I really don't feel like doing that tonight, but thank you so much for inviting me anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. I love that.
Speaker 1: My out is comparing yourself to other people. So instead of looking at other people and going, oh I want to be like that, or they're doing this, or why aren't I at that stage, compare yourself to you last.
Speaker 2: Week, good advice. I love that one. Mine's more Steakcase. I said this last year and we really didn't prioritize it. I had stay Case coming out to the podcast. But for Steve and my kids, I want to just like book a farmhouse on a weekend and book an MV and b like down the coast, just more little things to look forward to to break up the working weeks and months. So that's my inn and out caring so much of what other people think. I feel like this is a gradual thing and every year I do get better, but I still have found there's been moments, even particularly lately, you know, where people have said false things about me online or said really hopeful things. I don't lose sleepover it anymore and I don't cry about it and it doesn't like consume me, but there's still that moment of like, damn, that sucks that they think that, And I don't want to get online and like defend myself or whatever, but there's still that little niggle. It's like a scratch that still triggers me of like that sucks. I still care that people think that about me.
Speaker 1: I think that's an impossible thing to ever not care, no matter how much you tell yourself you are a human. But often some of that negative stuff, it's sometimes saying more about them than it is about you.
Speaker 2: It's nice to feel the progress of it not consuming anymore, because if say, like three or five years ago, I would be in bed and like wouldn't be able to work and it would just destroy me. Whereas now I'm just like, oh damn, that sucks, and might have a little vent to someone, but then I'll move on and you.
Speaker 1: Know the other thing, and this is sometimes easier said than done, but just stop reading that stuff. Yeah, like, don't read it.
Speaker 2: I don't read gossip pages or anything like that anymore. I think it's recently it's been people screenshotting me and be like, have you seen this about you? And then it's in my because I do reply to all my dms. Yeah, but otherwise I used to go and read forums and stuff, and I'm like, it was just so bad for my mental health.
Speaker 1: So no, thank you, no, but you don't read them. You don't know, and then you can't hurt me.
Speaker 2: That's so true.
Speaker 1: My next one is remembering that life is right now.
Speaker 2: Oh, such a good one.
Speaker 1: So instead of always thinking about what's next. When I have this much money, where my business is doing this well, when the kids are doing this, enjoy the right now. Remember that life is right now.
Speaker 2: Never get this time back.
Speaker 1: My next out is worrying that you're not where you should be at this age.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I think we focus a lot on age.
Speaker 1: It's like whether I should be married at this stage, I should be having children at this stage, I should be doing this with my career at this stage. And I saw something recently about Ricky Gervaise. Obviously he's a very successful comedian, but he didn't become a successful comedian until he was in his forties.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I screenshotted a post that he put up which said, when I was in my twenties, I had a cleaning job to pay for rehearsals. If I got a gig, I'd make my own posters and push the equipment to the venue in a shopping trolley. Hope is amazing far out.
Speaker 2: That's so cool. I remember seeing a post it was like Vera Wayne didn't start she was forty two or something, and there's a whole list of really successful people and they were all started in their forties. It's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So don't give yourself a hard time about your age and we're at in your life, because you'll get there when you're ready. I mean, it's right, and age is just a number.
Speaker 2: And it's also cool that, like, even if you've made it in your career and you're feeling like you've achieved and take lots to boxes, you can actually change your mind. If you get to thirty eight and you've achieved everything and you're like I feel like I should be happy here, but you want to do something completely different than cool, It's not too late to start. I never thought i'd be podcasting this much. Yeah, and I love it more than anything I've ever done before.
Speaker 1: And remembering your achievements as well. So you might have a previous job where you did really well and you did this, that and the other, and instead of going, oh that was the old me, that was the last job, I'm not that anymore.
Speaker 2: Yes you are.
Speaker 1: You still got those two allow yourself to take them.
Speaker 2: We're gone anywhere, yep. Ins more face to face connection in my community. I love the online world, I love podcasting, but I really want to run some more events and like intimate ones, do a live show, dream to go on a tour like I really just love more face to face. It's just even when I have guests on here, compared to if we have a guest on like an online platform, it's just so much better face to face. You can feel people's energy and just get to spend that time together. And I think since COVID, we're all craving more connection. So I want to incorporate that into everything I do next year.
Speaker 1: And allowing yourself to enjoy other people's stories and what they've got to say as well.
Speaker 2: So true, everyone's got a story. Hey yeah yeah. Out Relationships that can't communicate respectfully, kindly and effectively. I feel like sometimes whether it's family members or friends or intimate relationships, it's like, oh, that's just who they are, Like you know they're aggressive like that, or you know they're going through a hard time, but it's like, where's the best boundary your standards of how you want to be treated. And I think Steve and I've been together it will be seventeen years next June, and there's been so many conversations and arguments, but like from every single one of them, we have learned how to communicate more effectively and more kindly and more respectfully, Like we wouldn't have a relationship if we didn't. It's not about being perfect or even just owning if you've lashed out and been like, hey, gosh, I'm sorry, sorry I said that. I was really angry and I've really needed to take a fucking breath, like please forgive me. But if someone just isn't taking any responsibility and that's just how they are, I just don't want relationships like that in my life anymore. I don't think I deserve to be treated or spoken to like that. So it's been a big boundary that I want to put in place. Now life's tis shut, it really is. And when you have people in your life that treat you so kindly, Like I've got a couple of girlfriends that like Tianna and Megsie. I've learned so much from them and how to communicate kindly. But still they've got such strong boundaries with what's okay and what's not, and I've really learned from them and I've improved so much. When you have people like that in your life, that highlights the other ones that are the opposite, and you're like, why am I allowing this? Yeah, you normally allow it because you don't think you're worthy of anything else. And when I was growing up, I didn't think I was worthy of being loved in that kind of beautiful way. But now I've got people that love me like that, I'm like, I don't need to be spoken to like that. So that's my out.
Speaker 1: I'm making sure that everything that's going in is coming from both sides as well. Like everybody's got friends where you go hang on. I always invite them to things. I always call them. I'm always the one that messages I need to work both ways.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's two people in every dynamic. A.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So my next in is remembering where you are right now is where you once wanted to be. So true, it's okay to have goals and want to grow, but remember back ten years. Everything that you have now is what you probably dreamt off back then.
Speaker 2: Yeah. If you could go back in that time and see your future, be like, that's a fucking cool life, Like I did that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, once upon a time, this is what I dreamt of. And it's not taking away from the fact that you still want goals and you still want to move forward, and you still want things in the future, but just remembering that it's a cool thing to remember and enjoying that success that where you are right now where you once wanted to.
Speaker 2: Your past self would be stoked to be where you are right now. Yeah.
Speaker 1: My next out is wearing too much fragrance.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: I love scented moisturizes, I love Hideaway and I will always wear that. But I was also then wearing a body spray, and then I was also wearing perfume, and then I just felt like it was too much and it was overpowering. It was giving me headaches, and I'm like, no, choose one.
Speaker 2: Like most days I only wear custard, and I get so many compliments still like what perfume r I'm like, it's literally discusted. Or if I am wearing like in winter from wearing long sea stuff, I was more spray perfume, not wear custard. My legs don't need to be as moisturized, but you don't. Yeah, you don't need to lay them, no.
Speaker 1: And it's just remembering as well that other people can smell that on you, Like you stop smelling on yourself, so you'll put per everyone in the morning, you can't smell it for the rest of the day everyone else can. I but everyone else can. And then you think that you haven't got it on anymore, and so then you put more on and then it's overkilled.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Nice. Like in I feel like I'm already doing this, but even more so, I always just want to do like that a little bit better. That little bit more is eating more organic food and more animal products, because since I've changed this way of eating, I feel so much better. I feel like for the last fifteen years, I've been like seventy thirty healthy eating balanced, cleaner options. But now I'm probably ninety percent organic food and whole food, with like a ten percent in there, which is like when I go out for date night or I get a random yoche with taj or I have a clean treat. But most of my food is organic now and I want to even improve that even more. So I just feel so good. And for me as I get older, it's just about longevity. I really want my body to be thriving some around my kids and my grandkids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think putting more effort into food preps. So it's spending the time finding those nice ingredients and remembering what to do with them or finding recipes and rather than being busy and then just grabbing some whatever shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so easy to do. I get it. And then out feeling shame around my achievements and not celebrating my wins in fear of upsetting other people in life, in business, in financials. And I said this on a previous episode that when I see other women celebrating their wins, saying I made this much money in my launch, or I've just bought this new car or flying business class here. I'm always so inspired. I don't get jealous or envy of that stuff for me is like, wow, she did that. That's possible for me too. I find it really inspiring. So I'm like, why do I dim my light in fear of upsetting someone where I could be that person that inspires someone else to live like this through hard work and finding your passions. Like, I know it's not for everyone, but I'm kind of sick of hiding and carrying shame when I do well and there's an achievement and I don't feel like even really celebrate it myself. I want to celebrate it myself and then also be an inspiration for other people too, So I'm going to bring more of that in. It feels very edgy for me, but that's cool. Why not.
Speaker 1: It's a really good place to be in because we've definitely all felt that when we go, oh it's all right for them, like yeah that, or they're rubbing it in your face so they're bragging, but it feels so nice to go good on them, Yeah, yeah, good on them for being able to do that. And then I want to do that too, So how am I going to get.
Speaker 2: There at the end of the day. It's a projection. So when I used to have those thoughts of like, oh, of course she's got that, or wow, she's bragging or rubbing in your face, you're judging them, but you're actually judging yourself. Now that I've like switched, my mind still around and I find it really inspiring. It just feels so different. But I'm just all about being a cheerleader for women and celebrating them, and I think there's room for all of us. There's no need to put down what they're celebrating. Like there was this girl on TikTok the other day and she was like, I made a hundred thousand dollars in my first twenty four hours of Black Friday, and she was crying. It was three times more than what she made last year. And I didn't know who she was, but I was like, fuck, yeah, I go you. This is amazing. Yeah, And like all the comments are really supportive, and it's like, this is what I mean. This is really cool that she's celebrating herself, she's sharing it with her community, and we all get to support her in that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So beautiful.
Speaker 1: Those moments of jealousy as well, are so normal, so normal, we'll felt them, but it feels so much nicer to be able to go, oh, okay, so I'm jealous right now, So what do I need to do about my life? Because it's actually not about that person and what they're doing. It's like what do I need to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And jealousy and envy is just highlighting what you want. So anytime I have felt jealousy or envy, I'm just like, oh, interesting, Okay, it's not about them.
Speaker 1: I'm actually wanting that. I'm desiring that. Well, what are you doing about it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are you putting in the work they're doing? Have you seen what they do to get there? Are you willing to sacrifice what they've sacrificed to get there? Is it that important to you? And when you start asking yourself those questions, you can get to the bottom of it. Yeah, and then you can change what you're doing. So I'm not carrying more shame around my success and my achievements. Good.
Speaker 1: Yes, My next in is putting yourself first. Oh yeah, and I think especially for mum, we put everybody else first. It's all about the kids. It's about what they want to do. It's so important for you to take that time out. Don't feel guilty. No, go and do what it is that you need to do for yourself. Go for a massage, sit on your own for a bit. Like I think kids also thrive when you're happy and you are doing scent.
Speaker 2: They feel our energy when our cups forward overflows to them. I love the quote put your own life jacket on first. It's a good one, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Whenever they say that on an aeroplane, when they do that safety thing, you're like, of course I wouldn't do that. Of course I'm going to put it on my baby first. And it's like, well, no, you have to put it on your celf phone and actually help them, because if you can't help them, yeah, if you're dead. My next out is deciding not to buy the thing you love when you see it, Oh okay. I feel like I've done this all of my life, where I have seen something and been like, oh, it's a bit expensive, it's not on sale, but I'm like, I really love it. And you know, when you walk away from something, you're like, no, be sensible, you can't afford it, right, now you need to wait till payday or whatever it might be, and then you don't find it again. So when you have got money and you're like, I really loved it, I did it recently. Actually, I saw some barstools and I was like, oh, my goodness, I love those barstels. And I was like, oh, they're really expensive, and I've got bartels at home and there's nothing wrong with them, but I really love those ones. I haven't stopped thinking about. Oh, and now I'm looking for new barstels because they are getting to the point where they need replacing. And I can't find those barstles.
Speaker 2: I wish I bought that, but I've.
Speaker 1: Drilled the internet and yeah, I can't find them. So buying that one thing instead of always bargain hunting and then putting up with the thing that you've bought really because you like the price the best, you don't actually love the product, no, And then you might end up with loads of those things that you half like because they were cheaper, and actually you've spent the same amount of money as you would have on that one thing that you really loved.
Speaker 2: Anyway, True, my inn is loving every part of me, and I've got a girlfriend that's really helped me with this, the things that I've carried shame over the years within my friendship groups or just with how I feel. She's bought a really playful aspect to it, and she's very similar to me. So when I was telling her about these things I carry shame for and she was like, oh, I'm like that, But the way she's worded it and how playful she is with it, I just love that about her. Son, I had this realization, I'm like, well, if I love that about her, why can't I love that about me. I don't have to carry shame around that. And I'll go into more details about it next year. I'm just in this space now. I'm like, I don't have to hate any part of me, and hating parts of myself it doesn't serve anyone all. That doesn't feel heavy for me. And I want my kids to know that, like, no one's perfect, and there'll be parts of them that they want to work on or they've got their own wounds that they can still love so hardly on themselves and love on other people for their wounds. Yeah, So that's my inn.
Speaker 1: And not seeing things as negatives as well, yeah, like viewing them differently. Oh, that's really bad about myself, Like I hate that I do that. It's like, well, no, actually that's part of me. Yes, And how can that be a more of a positive How has it served me? Like it's kept you safe for it's you know, helped you with something, putting a positive spin on it out taking things personally just because someone says something, it doesn't mean I have to take it on. Projection is a real thing, and a lot of the time it's not about me. It's different when it's constructive criticism, but you feel like you can feel through energy and tone when someone's projecting or if they're giving you constructive criticism. Yeah, and I'm all for constructive criticism, but yeah, I just I feel like I've just taken things so personally for so long. But a lot of the time, when someone projects something onto you, it's not even about you. It's just something they're feeling or they've been triggered all they don't know how to regulate, so they just like spit it out on you. So I've just noticed now that i feel like I'm more regulated, I can take a breath and like see if what it is and then not react to them instead just like ignore it or give them compassion or.
Speaker 2: Just like brush it aside. Because before I'd be like, oh my god, oh they said this about me, like even I know it's not true, and it would really upset me. Now I'm like, I don't have to take that on. It's not overthinking things. Yeah, even to the point where.
Speaker 1: I'll go to send a text message and then I'll look over it again and I'll be like, no, just send it, Just send it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so true, more emotional releasing, like somatically energetically, and then allowing I've kind of said it before, but allowing more of the feels to come up, but actually implementing and practicing all the tools I've learned from my coach, like making that just a part of what I do, like brushing my teeth. If I feel something, it's like, Okay, I'm going to do this, this and this, rather than pushing it to the cyber I'm going to really practice that in my week to week living.
Speaker 1: I've got one more place not giving yourself such a hard time.
Speaker 2: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 1: So when you go through your day, I feel like often I will have a conversation with somebody and then they'll leave and you go on your way and you're like, oh, should I said that? Like that, what did they think about this that I said? And it's like, no, it's said, it's done, move on because they're not thinking about it now.
Speaker 2: So why should I be making stuff up in your head? And then it expands and your spiral. Yeah, it takes over your whole day, and then it's like not even a big deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so just letting that stuff go and going okay, cool, Well that was five minutes ago and this is now, and let's move on. That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one. This is officially the last grond Blow episode. Yes, there is no more gron Glow after this. However, it's not the end. If you guys missed previous episodes. We have a new podcast name which is really exciting. Stay tuned for our social media. I'll be posting a video to announce it. A new co host. I will have another reel for that introducing her, which is really cool, and so many new conversations. Our Friday episodes are going to be completely different. So in the last year, Katie's been cutting up like highlights of previous episodes. Yeah, whereas we've got a whole new theme and different topics and pillars that Friday will be And it's like a completely different look and feel and sides to our personalities, which I'm so excited for. And yeah, we've got some big plans where we hope to do some live events and we've got some programs you want to be bringing out and just different cool things that you guys get to be involved with. And I honestly couldn't be more excited.
Speaker 1: And when you say it's going to be totally different, there's still the same content, So still the same stuff that you are already loving listening to this podcast, just with a different person, different perspectives, And yeah, it's going to be bigger and better.
Speaker 2: It really is. You guys are gonna absolutely love it. But I also just want to say thank you so much to everyone who's tuned in. We couldn't do this without all of you, so thank you for being alongside the journey and the ride for us. And we're really excited for you guys to keep listening and learning from us and for us to be doing this together. Stay tuned. What Day to be Back January January sixth, I think you said. Hey. Therefore, after New Year's Eve on my social media, there'll be three reels going out and now it'cing the new co host, the new name, and then the day that our first episode goes live, and then we'll be in your ears three times every single week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so excited.
Speaker 2: Merry Christmas, yes, Mary Christmas, have the best time with your family, enjoy all the food and happy New Year. Please be safe and can't wait to be back next year.
Speaker 1: Bye bye,