Speaker 1: Apogae Production. Welcome back to another episode of Am I A Bad Mom? Podcast? Or on Instagram too. Please feel free to send us.
Speaker 2: Your memes Instagram at am I A Bad Mom? Do you see them all go up all at once because I sort of am hit and miss on Instagram at different times.
Speaker 1: Do you know it's nearly school holidays?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just thinking that then, Yeah, it's nearly school holiday.
Speaker 1: Someone said that to me this morning. I was like, we've literally just had the holidays.
Speaker 2: I actually think that your girls are nearly going to be on holidays right. We are in the changeover of term three to term four. This is the official countdown. This is when people start coming up to you and go, oh my gosh, only like twelve weeks still Christmas, and you're like, shut up, I haven't even thought about presents yet.
Speaker 1: I do love Christmas, but I definitely haven't planned for the expense of it. Again, remember that one year you did lay by. Remember that you were so planned. You did it all in like June July, and then it came bit by bit, you paid it off bit by bit, and you took it to the ladies at the charity and the shopping center and wrapped it all there you were sat with a Champagne Christmas sing was once done.
Speaker 3: I nailed it once.
Speaker 2: I think it was Target and Big w I did their mid year toy sales extravaganza. I think that they call it, which is like forty to fifty percent off and then just lay by it. And I was like, that's great, because I did. I've got some mighty fine bargains.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering whether I mentioned this last year. I was like, wouldn't it be great? This was after I saw like from the boxing Dale sort of January sales and I saw everything go on sale that I would read all and it really annoys me. I remember saying, why don't next year just we don't buy Christmas and then we all have an amount of money we can go and spend in the sales. It takes the fun out of the actual Christmas Day stuff. But I'm wondering whether my kids are now at the age where I could just give them money, like wrap it up in a box or something, make it look pretty and just go here, go, here's a Westfield gift card or whatever. Yeah, look yourself out, and then you're buying.
Speaker 2: It all in sale. Yeah, I like that idea, and especially the older that they get is better because we sort of lose track of.
Speaker 1: What they want to choose their own stuffy because they anyway I can buy my kids close even stuff that I look back on, Rachel. I've got some like little mini skirts and stuff that you know, I wore back in the day, and I'm like, that's really nice, Like that would I'm too old for it now, but that would look really cute on you. And they literally look at it, and I reckon if one of their friends had the exact same thing and said would you like this? They go, yeah, I love it, but literally because it was owned by me, they want to do with a disgusting gross I wouldn't seem dead in that from like years ago. It's like a social suicide.
Speaker 3: Am I a bad mom for party on a phobia? I don't know, but it's a phobia actually is a phobia fear.
Speaker 2: Definitely something that proves like that moment of like oh I really can't cope when that happens. I think you think about it a little bit more as your sort of kids get older and you can see sort of certain patterns start to happen or conversations you might have with them. And I have always had the wonderful add on of when I was a kid, and I only started like when I was probably Gracie's age now. If we took long car trips, I was always that kid in the back with the bucket it because I got really bad cast sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you get seasick too.
Speaker 3: I get se sick, so do I.
Speaker 1: And I remember the time and I saw it on your Instagram and the pictures look beautiful. You stayed on a beautiful boat. You slept on the boat for a few days, and I remember seeing the highlights real being like, oh my god, that looks so beautiful. What a lovely trip, she said. And then you were like, I literally you went to shore one day and you wanted to cry at the thought of getting back on the boat because she felt so sick. I was like, oh, that's the.
Speaker 3: Worst some of it.
Speaker 2: I was like, and it was really interesting, actually, now that you bring me back to that is like, say, for instance, on that particular trip, the child of mine that was right next to me and just feeling it so badly.
Speaker 1: Was else so same scenario.
Speaker 3: She was like, we're both very much land animals.
Speaker 2: And the way that that boat was broken up was that two of us had to sleep on the top deck and the chop deck had more windows and it was more open that I felt way better there.
Speaker 3: Than down below and tucked in. Yeah, and I know that they say.
Speaker 2: The shop is going to be rockier and all the rest, but I didn't like the idea that I was down the bottom, which is so weird when I think about it, because I flew on an aircraft for a living for three years, and where you sleep on that bad Boy is tucked right down the bottom of the air.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's different. I get what you mean, because I've never felt sick on an airplane ever, doesn't matter how much tablence there is, I've never felt like that. But on a boat, I'm exactly the same. In the thought of being down underground. Jay and the girls have gone on and on at me for years about going on a cruise. I'm like, I can't see because I can't cope with being stuck somewhere and not being able to get off, and phebe, I.
Speaker 3: Think that's probably a little bit to do with mine.
Speaker 2: Is like that idea, like people come to you and go cruisers and cruisers and when we love it, we just get there and we unpack ones and we do this. And I can understand and see why people would love it, like I can see from a holiday perspective why you would love it. But the idea of putting me on a boat for two weeks and I'm stuck on that boat for two weeks would not go. It doesn't matter where you could put me on the bottom of the boat or the top of the boat.
Speaker 3: It's just not going to work.
Speaker 1: And I feel like with cruise ships, like we've really digressed. But I feel like with cruise ships they've come with a bad rap. Yeah literally, you only ever see a cruise ship on the news when it's coming and they've all got gastro with.
Speaker 2: Kind of digress, But it's still around the theme of I as a kid, I remember if the power went out, I would vomit. If there was something pretty bad like go down, my first thing that goes is my tummy.
Speaker 3: I vomit.
Speaker 2: I then started getting car sickness vomit, and so this fear I think came from obviously being younger, but at the same time it carried over Now I was sort of hoping out of my two kids, I was like, not that, because it makes it hard, right, Like I am a head case when gastro is going through your household, it brings me unstuck. But Gracie is taking on little tendencies of having like even when she talks about it, she gets really like and I thought, oh my god, out of everything I could have passed down, I don't want you to have that part. But I think it's a little bit like especially getting older hormones, you know, heightened things for young girls.
Speaker 3: And so I was.
Speaker 2: Hoping that maybe it would just be like a short stint and then it will sort of pass.
Speaker 3: But Gracie is like the world is ending and she's throwing herself on the ground.
Speaker 1: I feel like, no matter how hard you try to not put on certain phobias to your kids, there's something inside that it just happens. Anyway. I've always been a bit OCD in my life, but I've actively tried to not say anything around my kids and tried to not be super so they're not aware of it. But merely is definitely the same. And I look at some of the stuff she does and I'm like, that's exactly the same as what I do, but she's never seen me do it.
Speaker 3: Maybe there is something in genetics, so.
Speaker 1: Like nature versus nurture or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, because if you're not actively doing it, So it's going back to like what you know, what we always talk about, which is like actions speak louder than words. You're not physically saying it, but maybe your actions are displaying it without you knowing it subconsciously, right, Yeah, because when we start to do things, and when it comes to patterning and behaviors, we are doing it sometimes without subconsciously knowing what we're doing, and they're always watching. Maybe that's where it comes from as well. My whole thing with vomiting and stuff like that. I mean, I don't know that she's actively like you know, being around or seeing it. I have no idea, but this is one of those things that I don't have too many, like extreme fears or phobias. Cane toads, Okay, cane toads is another one of mine. Yeah, just I think growing up in North Queensland just put something in the back of my brain that if it starts to jump or move around, I am on this, like I am where It's like if a snake goes past, I'm like, oh look, wow, a bit like, oh, I might stand back here, but I'm not like shit or a.
Speaker 1: Spider, even though like the snake would kill you, but the cane toad isn't. And those cane toads don't even like they're so dumb. They don't even get out of the way.
Speaker 3: Like you can. Don't.
Speaker 1: They're not fast enough to move. I don't if you stepped on one.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I have stepped on one many times, because in North Queensland you can not walk across grass without either kicking one or stepping on it or having it jump right across your feet kind of thing. Because there's so many of them. And when we were out there, you'd hear all the things like people, oh, they're a pest.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: This was very far North Queensland, because they are truly a pest up there, because they live in the cane fields whatever.
Speaker 3: But they're a pest and so people used to do awful, awful things to get rid of them.
Speaker 2: One of the most traumatic scenes of one of my childhood with a cane toad was so much chucked it.
Speaker 3: On the fire.
Speaker 2: Oh it blew and I was just like, I thought, it's one of the most traumatic moments. I was like, I don't know why, because I don't like them, but I don't need to hurt them.
Speaker 1: No, that's cruel, that's horrible.
Speaker 3: That was Grade seven.
Speaker 1: If we're gonna bring cane toads back to parenting and children, I just was thinking to myself, you said cane toads are a pest. Yes, cane toads are a pest. They're an introduced pest. We introduced that pest to Queensland, just like kids introduced pests.