Speaker 1: This is Business Now with Edward Boyd him Welcome to Business Now, thanks to your company today. I'm Edward Boyd. It is not Ross Greenwood. Coming up on the program. As gegopolitical tensions increase around the world, the Australian government is being encouraged to step up its level of spending on defense. Former Shark Tank judge and venture capitalist Steve Baxter will join us shortly. Retail billionaire Brett Blundy has launched a new sleep where lingerie and beauty label called Liaise. We'll speak the CEO Linda Whitehead, who formerly ran the fashion label JJ's. Plus. Australia's farmers are heading towards a record high winter crop planting this season, despite the recent flooding on the East Coast. Rabobanks Stefan Vogel will talk grains and beef. That's all coming up on today's program. Other stories today you should know about. An American trade court has ruled President Trump did not have the authority to impose sweeping tariffs on virtually every nation on Earth, voiding the levees which have sparked a global trade war and caused chaos on financial markets. The US Court of International Trade found that the President overstepped his authority when he announced these tariffs earlier this year. The Court said Congress is responsible for regulating America's commerce with other countries and that cannot be overridden by the president's use of emergency powers. The Court has invalidated with immediate effect, all of Trump's orders on tariff since January that were rooted in the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, a law that was meant to address unusual and extraordinary threats during a national emergency. Lawyers for the Trump administration have notified the Court that they will lodge and appeal well. The debt riddled Tasmania government has handed down at state budget promising a pathway to surplus over the next five years. Aspen Bomfield joins US Live in Hobart, Aspen. What's the government's spin?
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks, Ed Treasurer Guy Barnett is trying to paint a positive picture. In this year's state budget. A one billion dollar deficit is forecast for the next financial year, a surplus not expected until twenty twenty nine. Netdebt is a completely different story altogether. It's currently sitting at five point two billion dollars and it's expected to double over the next five years, following construction of that nine hundred and forty five million dollar stadium at mcquarie Point. Now you might remember that stadium is crucial to the state's inaugural AFL team. No stadium, no Tasmanian devils. Today, the treasurer it suggested an Elon Musk style review of public servants in a bid to balance those books.
Speaker 3: We've been working on this journey now for some time.
Speaker 4: The importance of efficiency and productivity in our state service.
Speaker 3: We will be.
Speaker 4: Reviewing every government program, every governments s and is it to fit for purpose?
Speaker 3: Doesn't need to be reviewed? Is it still necessary? And these are the questions that need to be asked.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Earlier this year there was also talk about selling off state government owned assets. This budget rules out selling off Hydro Tasmania and the Port Arthur Historical Site. However, the sale of the state run bus company and local port Authority remain on the cards. Elsewhere, every Tasmanian household will receive sixty dollars for their energy bills and half priced bus fares will also continue for students and those in regional areas. So today's budget is great news if you're a football loving Tasmanian. Bit of a mixed bag for everyone else.
Speaker 1: Great, thanks Aspen there in Hobart for us. Let's get across today's market moves with Ingrid Willage and Ingrid think the rally in US futures help the market today.
Speaker 5: We had us all day ed, but it could have been better given what we saw from US features rallying, thanks video reporting a boost in its first court of sales, Chip Make and a video giving a positive revenue.
Speaker 1: Forecast for the current period.
Speaker 5: That's even despite a slowdown in China.
Speaker 1: In fact, sales.
Speaker 5: Expected to be up about forty five billion US dollars in the second quarter, including about eight billion in revenue lost from China. That includes, of course that number so not a huge impact as well from the federal court ruling the US reciprocal tariffs illegal you mentioned before, And though the oil price did rally a little on the news and the Aussie dollar dipped off the strength in the green back. That being said, Australian share market and in the session you can see they're up just two tenths of a percent. Looking at some of the best performers on the market today and the tech Plaze did get a nice boost from the video with app and closing you can see there up about four percent.
Speaker 1: You can also see Woodside.
Speaker 5: Adding to its games from yesterday off the back of that draft government approval to extend the life of its Northwest shelf development. That stock you can see they're up about three percent, and also Magellan closing the session up about one point seven percent on the side the worst performance today, and gold stocks did take a fall as in investors took profits on the precious metal. Resolute was off by about three point two about two point four percent by the end of the session by Settlember. That's also thanks to some reports the number of its permits may be revoked in Guinea, the company coming out saying it's seeking further information on that before it responds properly. Web Travel also off at the end of the session, down by about one point seven percent, but that was after a twelve percent rally yesterday and even an upgrade by McCrory investors likely taking a little bit of profits on that one, and miners helping put a lid on markets today. Rio was off by about seven ten percent, off the lows of the day though and back.
Speaker 1: To you thanks ingrid, Camera based think tank, the Australian Strategic Policy Institute released the detailed report today into our defense sector, calling on the federal government to lift its spending. The report asks whether our defense force is strong enough to act as a deterrent from adversaries like China, which recently conducted live fire drills in the Tasman Sea. So do we need to lift our spending? Joining me now is Steve Baxter, the founder of defense technology investment firm in Zone Venture Partners. Steve, thanks for your time. I mean, how does Australia's spending on defense stack up against other nations?
Speaker 4: Agod I ed and thanks for having me on Australias spending on defenses measured against GDP as many nations are. To put this in context, nations such as the US are about three and a half percent of spending on defense versus GDP. Holand for example, is approaching five. We are at two percent spending, so we are quite below par when it comes to that. And to your opening statement, you know, it would be very hard for us to act as.
Speaker 3: A deterrent to China in any respect.
Speaker 4: We've always bought alongside and had the cooperation of larger allies. You know, world War two and pre World War two it was it was the UK, it was England and World War two, and post it's been in the US. So we have to be a we have to be a good ally in that deterrence and to do that we need to spend.
Speaker 1: Obviously we've got the Orcus pack with some of our big allies, including the US. But is the big adversary on that regional threat front? Is it coming from China? Are they the main one Australian defense force is probably worried about.
Speaker 3: They're the only one they're worried about.
Speaker 1: Well, you're an investor in defense technologies. I mean, how do we encourage more of the private sector as well to start investing money in our defense sector because it can't all just come from the public, from the public sector and the federal budget.
Speaker 4: No, I agree, and I think that the way you actually invest in the defense sectors. Understand that the Australian defense markets exceptionally small. We're beaten zone. We look at what we call the allied market and the aload market is roughly fifty nations that we could sell defense goods to it and not breach laws in Australia, so funtry we have defense cooperation with that. Combined market in US dollar terms is one point seven trillion dollars and an average spend of two percent of GDP. Now, the Australian defense budget is thirty five billion US dollars. Now, when you consider the rest of the world, NATO has just come out. Mark Router came out two weeks ago head of NATO and said they are heading towards five.
Speaker 3: Percent of GDP as is the US.
Speaker 4: So that one point seven trillium will grow to probably well over three.
Speaker 3: And that's the market.
Speaker 4: So the opportunity here is not just Australia, but it's a growing allied market that are seeing a rising demand for the goods and services it needs to conduct its business.
Speaker 1: And are there many defense technology companies in Australia? Are there many innovative businesses out there in the defense space that people can invest in?
Speaker 4: There are looking at the top end. I suppose we have some listed companies which are great. You might look at Ostel, you might look at the prone Shield for example, in the unlisted space. And now our government owned that a camera based enable radar business called CEA, which is a world leading business.
Speaker 3: And in the smaller unlisted space.
Speaker 4: Again in that private space, we have amazing businesses creating everything from the electronic warfare solutions. We have amazing space capability, radar sensors, training and targeting. We actually so hit above our weight when it comes to this. There's numerous opportunities out there.
Speaker 1: And more broadly, are we in attractive place to invest? Like does the government have the investment settings right at the moment?
Speaker 4: I think Australia had some amazing schemes to attract investors into markets. You know how you incentivize investors in it as you provide incentives and that's.
Speaker 3: Done through taxation typically.
Speaker 4: So we have two schemes primarily the e si C and Malcolm Turnble scheme from twenty sixteen sevent eight and the es VC LPT. But these roughly give very good tax breaks to investors. However, when you consider that in March two years ago that a French strategic review was published and it said two things I think it got correct, named China and then it said we're out of time. So in the context of being out of time and that alluded to our strategic warning time being eroded and we no longer have ten years, we have a lot less repair. What do you do in that context? So we need to super size and centives I believe for Australian private investors in this defense market. So instead of you know that that the ten and twenty percent incentives, if we think this is really strategic Bob, and we are out of time, let's make that fifty or one hundred percent tax incentives. So if we are out of time, we need to start acting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and as we see you know, geopolitical tensions really escalating and brewing around the world, are you noticing a pickup in interest in investing in Australia's to spend sector?
Speaker 3: Very much?
Speaker 4: So, I would describe it, and I've been on the fundraising trail for two years at this point in time, I would describe it as the tarnish of investing in defense is slowly going off. So it's becoming a shinier thing that people care more about. Now, what's occurred in Ukraine in twenty two and you know, the Middle East since and the recent you know, circumnavigation of Australia by by Chinese flotilla has really bought the state of the world into into real brightness.
Speaker 3: So look, you know our the reality is that the Cold War ended. We got a bit lazy.
Speaker 4: But now the holiday from his tree is over and we've got to pick up our game. We really have to prove to our to our security guaranteel of being the United States that we're a good ally.
Speaker 1: Steve Baxter from Beaten Zone Venture Partners, thanks for coming on the show.
Speaker 3: Thanks ed.
Speaker 1: Australian farmers are expected to plant a record sized winter crop this year. That's according to report released this week by Rabobank. At the same time, Ossie beef production is expected to come close to equaling the records it's set last year thanks to a growing cattle herd. I spoke with Stefan Vogel, the general manager of Ravo Research, a little earlier.
Speaker 6: Well, the floods as devastating as they are locally and clearly also for the communities. On a larger scale, for the agricultural sector, it is probably not hitting us very hard on those commodities that you early on mentions or we're talking greens, we're talking beef, but clearly in those communities it is a real devastating problem for the farming sector and outlook overall. I think we are taking it as it brings quite a bit of moisture on this side of the continent, and we have already seen that moisture levels here are rather good in the north, maybe partly abundant, but we have also some dry spots. So with that, the floodings usually local problems, but for the big picture, not a big one.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, yeah, you mentioned soil moisture. Just explain the significance of good quality soil moisture when it comes to planting that winter crop.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So if we're looking across the country, obviously we have several regions that produce a whole lot of grain. We're talking New South Wales, we're talking Western Australia, but also along the South and a bit further north. So if we're going state by state, we see an increase in Western Australia in the acreage, partly coming out of Sheepland. And with that also we benefit from a rather okay soil moisture in many parts. So it has rained in the last five months, actually pretty decently in many of the areas it has improved. South Australia is still a rather big problem. Clearly, the drought has been ongoing for a while. We have not seen real reliefs in the region, so that farmers are planting grains, often in the dust, hoping that there is some rain to come. But it's going to be a tough one and it's not much different in the western part of Victoria. It's getting better if we're moving into New South Wales and the further north you go, so Sydney further north is usually looking pretty good. And if we're looking even further up, Queensland is actually pretty high moisture levels in the ground. So if we're going state by state, we think an increase in Western Australian acreage, decline in South Australia and in the drought areas, a slide to pretty much balanced area here in New South Wales, and also a bit of an uptick up in Queensland.
Speaker 1: All right, so almost a record level then a planting expected. But what about the prices are we seeing sefan for grains in general? How are they holding up?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Well, before we go to the price is also important to note there's a bit of a shift from crop to cop so grains. It's not just grains. The big one here is wheat. We see an increase in the wheat or a decrease in the wheat better to save for twenty five after it has increased last year quite a bit. It has to do with crop rotations when it rained last year, so we have actually seen a very strong wheat acreage last year. We see that reclining a little bit here. The crops that are benefiting is bali, so that's the one that we're using for brewing for example of the beer, but also canola, which goes often into Europe and Asian markets for the processing of the oil in the vegetable oil space. So with that there's a bit of a shift. And also a big winner for example are pulses, so we're talking chickpeas, lentils loopins, so crops that usually go quite a bit of broad into the markets. And the good news for those loopins and lentils has been that actually we see the chick beee market as well, that we see the Indians actually continuing to import, so the signs are good. That's the big market. Whenever they have abundant crops, India usually closes the door by increasing the tariffs that goods face when they cross the border.
Speaker 1: They're pretty good, all right, and then just quickly bait production. How's that tracking.
Speaker 6: Oh, we have a very good and high production level here in Australia, but if we're looking at the sector for twenty five we actually call it steady as it goes. So steady in these times is maybe a good thing because clearly we have high production volumes and with that also we need to find the market for those. We've seen that exports into the global market have been overall good. We see a bit of a softer kind of demand in the likes of China, while the US over the last year has been a real strong market for US. In the United States, the demand is driven by local supprise issues. So we have seen that the US had drought in the areas where they have a lot of cattle, and with that the feed availability was low. They have reduced their kettle hurt quite a bit, and it is so hard to get that quickly up and running again because it just takes time until the next calf is born and the until it is raised, so that they are still struggling. They're heavily importing despite teriffs, so we face obviously ten percent tariffs for Australian goods moving into that US market. But the US is a key market for US for shipping heavy volumes over there. You can say almost a quarter of the beef that is produced here in Australia is consumed locally and almost a similar amount is going into that US market. So with that we expect it to hold as a strong market for US, but we have seen that volatility can come quickly with changes of minds by President Trump. There for now, he has not hit us harder than any of our competitors with tariffs, so we're facing ten percent terraces and that's the same for Brazil and Argentina and New Zealand all those markets that we're competing with against in the beef import market into the US.
Speaker 1: Stefan Vogel, General Manager, robber Research, thanks for coming on the show. Thanks for having me after the break. Retail billionaire Brett Blundy has launched a new women's fashion label called Liaise. We'll speak to its CEO next Welcome back. Billionaire Brett Blundy has launched his latest retail brand in Australia with Liaise, officially unveiled yesterday Ingrid Willinge was there and spoke with lia CEO Linda Whitehead.
Speaker 5: Linda, thanks so much for joining us on the program. Just tell us versly a bit about what Liaise actually is and how it differentiates from some of its competitors.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Sure, So Liaise stands for love everything about yourself. So it's a new global lingerie, sleepware and beauty brand that we're selling online and in stores. And our differentiation is that we believe that women shouldn't have to choose between beauty and comfort. So we don't want them to just choose beautiful lingerie that is uncomfortable to wear or comfortable lingerie that isn't that beautiful. So we're bringing something new to the market in that regard.
Speaker 5: So do you think there's a gap in the market for that particular type of segment and what are the demographics for the brand?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean the demographics are all women, all ages, all sizes. We go up to a size eighteen and we go up to a G cup, so we're quite inclusive in that regard. But yeah, the gap in the market is also very much in the service aspect. So the old school world of bra fitting no longer exists in the market, and so we're bringing that back to our customers in our retail store environment so that they can get fitted and really really know what size they're wearing need to be wearing.
Speaker 5: I believe you've opened three stores already. Is that correct? In four stores?
Speaker 1: You're just opened a fourth, So what.
Speaker 5: Is the timeline for opening more stores? Is it a quick rampup? Are you ambitious with growth strategy for the target amount of stores?
Speaker 7: Yeah, we are ambitious. We've got so four already opened. We opened over the last two weeks. We've got another four that'll open in the next two months, and we hope to have fifteen stores by Christmas.
Speaker 5: In terms of I know Brett Blundy in the past has said he liked to be global. Is there a strategy for going global with the brand in the next sort of two years? Say, what's your timeline for that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, we believe that this brand's got the capacity to have hundreds of stores globally. We are already we have a Northern Hemisphere website and we have a fulfillment center in the UK, so we're able to get to the UK, for example, for next day delivery.
Speaker 5: Is it a different market though overseas to hear or we have a similar strategy when you go global to how you sort of operate here.
Speaker 7: In Australia, very similar strategy. We think that the gap really is that most brands are either that high end elevated design but not comfortable, or they're just comfort and they're not that high end, and we believe that women everywhere, all around the world deserve that.
Speaker 5: Obviously, when you talk retail, you know, cost of living comes up, it's a global issue. Cost of living at the moment, interest rates office how coming down, So that's a plus. But how do you mitigate that or how do you manage that as a retail brand?
Speaker 7: Yeah, sure, it's really important that we have our rangers that suit every woman, every level of income, every size. So we certainly have great value products in our brand and then right through to kind of high end design elements, so there really is something for everybody. How does the brand look in your view in twelve months or twenty four months, in the next two years. So in the next two years, I believe that we'll be close to one hundred stores globally.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, okay, and are you I guess you know you've worked in a bunch of different retail roles. How does this one compare.
Speaker 7: This is like the dream role, the opportunity to be involved in a true startup. And we've gone from nothing to where we are today in nine months time, so we're moving really quickly, and we've like employed the absolute dream team experts in this field, and of course we're working alongside and led by some of the most amazing retailers in the country, being Brett Blundi, Maya Chowie, mart McGinnis.
Speaker 5: All right, Linda, appreciate your time on the program. Thanks so much for joining us today. Thank you.
Speaker 1: So that's all for today's program. Thanks to your company today. We'll see you tomorrow.