Speaker 1: Live on Sky News. This is Sharry.
Speaker 2: Good Evening and welcome to the program. Caleb Bond in for Sharry Marxon this week. Well, we're waiting to see if Trump can get his big beautiful bill over the line after a handful of Republicans dared to stand in the way. If that happens during the show, I'll make sure to let you know. Plus the bizarre suggestion to ban men from childcare work, I'll explain why that is illogical and offensive in just a moment. And UK Prime Minister Sakia Starmer has celebrated, if we can call it that, one year in power. But why on earth was the Chancellor in tears in Parliament today? Tom Slater will explain why later on in the show. Now, sometimes when bad things happen, there's a tendency to look for some kind of immediate solution. For instance, in Victoria, youths brawl with machetes, so the state government says they'll ban them. Now, does that stop knife crime, of course not. Does it stop the sale of machetes, of course it doesn't. Bit like Howard's legal to sell cigarettes that haven't come through the proper channels, and yet you can get them like turning on the tap. It would seem these sorts of knee jerk reactions are quite common, and I saw calls for another one today in light of the horrifying allegations against childcare worker Joshua Dale Brown. He's of course been charged with seventy child sex offenses relating to eight alleged victims at a childcare center in Melbourne, and that is awful, no question. But Louise Edmonds, who's a founding member of the Independent Collective of Survivors, came out today and said men should be banned from working in childcare centers. Is she was on the Today Show this morning.
Speaker 3: So there is grave concerns and we shouldn't be looking at the equality space and the inn sector. We actually have to look at the safety first and foremost of our most vulnerable citizens, which are our children, and a lot of them are voiceless. So children start communicating well at around two years old. The children under two years old, they cannot speak.
Speaker 2: Now, there's already no equality in the childcare sector, but I'll come back to that in a moment. She went on to suggest that in the meantime, parents should be able to stop men from working with their children.
Speaker 3: But what can be put in place into daycare centers is first and foremost, overnight literally is a child intimate care waiver. So all day care centers can literally say to the parent, do you opt in or do you opt out at this very moment to actually have a male care outlook after your child.
Speaker 2: Now. I understand that Louise is a survivor of abuse herself, and I sympathize with her, but you cannot just ban men from working in childcare. I mean that is to suggest that every man is a potential pedophile until proven otherwise. How can you ever actually prove otherwise? I mean, how many years do you have to live on the planet without having interfeed with a child until you can say, yeah, he's fine. There are so many men, through the course of their work who love children and want to help children and be role models and raise them up to be the best future adults that they can be. But people like Louise think they have no place in the world. You know, I get that parents of children who are alleged victims of mister Brown would be feeling awful at the moment, but also consider how the small number of men who do work in childcare must be feeling right now too, when they have people popping up in the media basically suggesting that they're pedophiles by default. They wonder so few men work in childcare. The Sydney Morning Herald reported today that between two and four percent of early childcare educators and preschool teachers in Australia are male. And I'm sure there are plenty more who'd love to do the job because they genuinely want to make children's lives better, but they're too afraid how some people might perceive them. They know that someone's going to look at them and go, oh, gee, you must be a pedo because you want to work with little kids, and so they go, that's not famil leave it to someone else. And that's really sad. It's sad that men are made to feel bad about themselves simply because they are men. And yes, it's undeniable that the majority of child sex offenders are men, but the vast majority of men are not child sex offenders. They're good people who want to do good things. And you must consider as well that it's not just sexual abuse that might be going on in childcare centers. It's all kinds of child abuse. Now I don't want to go into great detail because it's pretty horrific, but there was a case in New South Wales a couple of years ago where a childcare worker used a young kid less than two years old like a mop to clean up vomit literally on the ground. That's physical abuse, and it was done by a woman. In fact, a report in twenty eighteen to the Criminology Research Advisory Council found that women were more likely than men to maltreat children. It's head quote. There were important patterns noted in relation to gender and indigenous status. Overall, Indigenous and non indigenous females had substantiations that substantiations of cases of maltreatment of children more of them than Indigenous and non indigenous males. The report also found that the vast majority of child male treatment and abuse happens in the home at the hands of parents, rather than places like childcare centers. So banning men is in some kind of catch all to stop children from being abused, and frankly, it's offensive. Men are already demonized enough in the modern world without being excluded from workplaces on the basis of something over which they have no control and having to deal with people looking at them assuming that they're a pedophile. If you ban men from working in childcare centers, then surely you'd have to ban them from being teachers too. And I know the kids might be a bit older, but it's the same thing really, it's a job of caring for children. And the other thing, of course, is that children need men in their lives, particularly young boys. They need male role models to look up to. There are more than a million single parent families in Australia and eighty percent of them are single mothers. I mean, for some kids, childcare or school might be the only opportunity for them to spend any significant time around a man. You can't take that away from kids. Seems as though the role and value of men in the world is continually being diminished. This is just another example of it. We need more men in teaching and childcare, not fewer. In primary schools, states have as much as four hundred and fifty percent more women than men in their teaching ranks. In high schools there are as many as seventy percent more women. We need more men. Like Hiua Jaldiani. He is the head of the science faculty at Saint Peter's College in Adelaide, and he's such a positive force in the lives of his students that last year, ten year twelve boys, with the support of their parents, spoke to his family and organized to cook him breakfast one day to thank him for his support during the year. They rocked up to his house at quarter to six in the morning and mister Jaldiani walked out of his bedroom to find his house full of students cooking him and his family breakfast, which they then ate together while one of the boys played his piano. They wanted to do a good turn for someone that they clearly respect. I mean to me, that sounds like a sterling group of young lads honoring a man who has clearly left an indelible mark on their academic lives, so much so that they went out of their way to organize a surprise breakfast with his family. But some spoilsport father who's done wasn't even involved, ran off to the advertiser to say that the breakfast was quote deeply troubling on several levels and that he quote felt uneasy that this is a culture that this is acceptable. I mean, even a touching tribute to a beloved teacher is somehow inappropriate to some people because it happens to be a male teacher. I reckon, we need more mister Jaldiani's in the world, more male teachers that command so much respect from their students that they'll get up at Sparrow's fart to cook him breakfast. And I should say I wrote about that story in my advertiser column a few weeks ago, and mister Jaldianni sent me a lovely note to thank me. I feel a bit guilty that I haven't written back to him, So mister Jaldianni, if you're watching, thank you, and I promise I'll right back to you this weekend. But he is proof of just how valuable men are in education and childcare. He is proof of the great benefit that men have to offer. Being a man is not the problem. Well, Penny Wong spent the better half of her morning trying to convince us that Trump is actually keen to meet with alban Easy.
Speaker 4: We're obviously very flexible about those arrangements. President is a very very busy man. But I was pleased that Secretary Rubio were clear that you know obviously that they're keen for a meeting.
Speaker 2: The Foreign Minister also sounded a little ambiguous about defense spending.
Speaker 4: The circumstances are such, I know there will be more capability required. I think we all understand that, and we will fund the capability that Australian needs.
Speaker 1: So is there.
Speaker 5: Significance in him not raising with that yesterday?
Speaker 4: Am I looking too much into this?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: I can only report that from the meeting. Obviously there's a lot to.
Speaker 2: Discuss with me now to discuss. As Director of Strategic Analysis Australia and adjunct fellow at the Institute to Public Affairs, Peter Jennings, Peter, let's start with this non existent Trump meeting. I mean, how long can Albow go without one of these meetings before it does start to impact things like ORCUS and national security more broadly.
Speaker 6: It's clearly doing that already, Caleb, and I would say that, you know, in the history of the Australia US Alliance relationship, there wouldn't be a time in the past where a president and a Prime Minister have not actually spoken for you know, six or seven months and met to talk about these issues. And it's very clearly now beyond just the challenges of scheduling a meeting. I mean, I think that we are getting a sense of disapproval out of Washington, d C. And the President doesn't see it as a priority to meet with mister Albanezy, even though he's meeting many many other world leaders. And so we should read this as a problem, just as the Americans telling us that we are significantly underspending on defense is a problem. And to refer back to your earlier comments, how is it that our foreign minister can go to Washington and not even want to raise that as an issue? Instead, the question is or was it raised with you? But surely we have an honest enough relationship that we can talk about these things, so that there are problems in the relationship and our government needs to be stepping forward to work out how to deal with them.
Speaker 2: Well, because Wong says that Rubio Marco Rubio, the Secretary of State in the United States, didn't raise the defense spending with her, why would that be, well.
Speaker 6: Why wouldn't she raise it with him? I mean, there's a review of aucas They've told us that our spending is significantly under what we should be aiming at. They're concerned that we're losing our military capabilities. Why wouldn't we be raising that first and foremost with the Americans. If we think there's a positive story to tell, Penny Wong should be telling it.
Speaker 1: They know there's a problem.
Speaker 6: The reason no one's talking about it is they know there's a serious problem, and the Prime Minister is digging a hole for himself by saying that he's not going to make any changes. There's a sort of a lack of maturity, I think, apart from anything else, and how we are dealing with the US right now, and this is not your normal bilateral relationship. There are principal security provider. We are utterly dependent on them for our security, for much of the military technology that we have, for our intelligence supply, and for the orchestra relationship. And yet somehow we can't bring ourselves.
Speaker 2: To talk to them. But this is the point, right Peter, in your view, what is behind the pig headedness of the Prime Minister and the government not to simply say, yeah, sure, will increase our defense spending. I mean, if Trump can go off to NATO and get every country but Spain to sign up to five percent of GDP, they all conside that that's the best thing for them, and for the United States and for the broader world. What is it about Alban Easy makes him think he's special.
Speaker 6: Well, One, his heart is not in defense. It's just not a priority for him and never has been. Two, he doesn't want to admit publicly that we have a problem with China, because in the alb and Easy world, we've stabilized our relations with China. No one else believes that, But he doesn't want to admit he's made a mistake. Three, Caleb, he discovered during the election campaign that there was some political benefit to him to be seen to be at a distance from Trump, and unfortunately he's carried that into the election.
Speaker 1: He's won.
Speaker 6: So you know, now he needs to get back to normal diplomacy, and that means talking to the president. I think there is a combination of a lack of interest in security and a certain stubbornness which is making up and Easy just refused to deal with what is now I think a serious problem in our alliance relationship.
Speaker 2: Well, you mentioned China. Fiji is pushing back against China's efforts to set up a military base in the region that the Prime Minister yesterday was speaking at the National Press Club He also said that he would offer his countrymen to fill our ad of shortfalls, which is a pretty extraordinary move. Of course, that the PM's going off to meet with Jijingping this month, and that'll be his fourth meeting with g with zero of course with Donald Trump, these sorts of things should be coming up for discussion, but one imagines they won't be. Well.
Speaker 6: First, you good on Sidavini Rambuoka for saying what he said. You know, he is clearly now one of the older statesmen of the Pacific Islands region, and I think a person who's very close to Australia and close to the Australian military. So I welcome his comments and I think he also reflects what quite a number of Pacific Island leaders are thinking. As for Albanezi's visit to Beijing, wouldn't it just be terribly embarrassing calib of what happens is that he'll have had four face to face meetings with President g before one face to face meeting with most important alliance partner and by the way, our biggest economic investor in Australia, that's the United States. Something is going terribly wrong here with how Albineez he's thinking about his priorities.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, Donald Trump probably won't call him a handsome boy, so he's got that. On the Chinese Ledger right before we go, Peter that the US has stopped some of its weapon deliveries to Ukraine in an attempt to redirect resources to put America's interests first, and in a telling sign that the Kremlin welcomed the reduction of shipments, saying that it would help end the war sooner. And of course that is what the Kremlin would want, but they want that to be in their favor. What sort of rain do you think Trump is trying to pull here?
Speaker 6: I'm puzzled to really know. And the trouble is that with much of the Trump administration's management of this issue, what you hear on Friday will be changed by the time we get to Monday. You know, my view is by far the most important American interest right now in this is that Ukraine is not defeated by Russia, and if that means supplying them with weapons, that's what the Americans should be doing. The Ukrainians are not asking for American boots on the ground, They're just asking for the weapons to continue to fight the war, and that's in America's interest, in Europe's interest, So i'd hope that's where the Pentagon would come out on this matter. One thing I think at points to calib is that they don't have enough domestic production capacity for their own weapons, and that's something we should be thinking about as well. It means to say that if we're pressed, we can't just imagine that a phone called to Washington is going to break through and create an instant supply for us when America has to meet its own priorities in a conflict. And so there should be some defense spinning lessons that flow to Australia as a result of.
Speaker 1: This as well.
Speaker 2: Indeed, Peter Jenning's great to see you as always. Now, the Albanizi government's Arts Council has reinstated controversial artist Coloreds Bassi to the twenty twenty sixth venice by ANIALI. Take a look. I've mispronounced that. I know. Sorry, I'll come back to that commitute. But take a look at some of the work he's done. Part of the reason he was originally dumped from the prestigious role. I mean he's done art works of terrorists for heaven's sake, let's bring in now WA Opposition leader Basil's implus and Director of Forest and Wood Communications Australia, Marcus Bastian Basil, it wasn't good enough for him to be sent off in February. That's when they originally yanked him off the line up. Now in July they say he's okay. Am I missing something here? Is something changed in the last five months that means it's now okay to have artists representing Australia who do art and terrorists.
Speaker 7: These are very good questions you pose caylerb And there's a bit of a saying, isn't there Actually there's across all walks of life. Go with your instinct, go with your gut and creative Australia's gut or instinct was not to allow this artist to be a part of that international competition back and festival back in February. Their instinct was right, their gut feel was right. And I think, look, we all have great love and respect for the arts and creative sector right around Australia, but I think there are some of us that feel there's one rule for the arts community and another rule for everybody. Else and that somehow, under the guise of creative freedom or creative artistry, they're allowed to do anything they want, even if even if the standards in the rest of the community would mean no way would that be allowed in schools, in other public places, in most other areas.
Speaker 1: Of our community.
Speaker 7: And so they should have stuck with their initial decision.
Speaker 2: This is the Arts Minister Tourney Burke, defending the decision.
Speaker 1: Take a look.
Speaker 8: I don't put myself out there as an art critic, but when the criticism that was done at the time said these were not pro terrorist works, and the artist himself says there is nothing in this that's meant to in any way endorse terrorism, then I don't think politicians can say, well, you're all wrong, and.
Speaker 1: It is now.
Speaker 2: He wasn't quite that outspoken when the band was originally slapped on in February. But Marcus, I'm a free speech man. I believe you should be able to do and say whatever the hell you want, basically as long as it's under your own steam. I mean, if he wants to go overseas and show art works of terrorists, that's his business. But why are we the tax payer paying for it?
Speaker 9: Well, I think there's a serious problem which is at the heart of the creative community and perhaps the bodies that provide the funding though people who sit within those bodies. There's questions that really should be asked on who is part of these boards, who is part of these groups, whoill provide the funding and the checklists for giving these guys the green light for venice. I mean, ultimately forty years ago we sent people like Sydney and Noland.
Speaker 1: Goodness grows to me.
Speaker 9: We had Arthur Street up in nineteen ninety nine, we had Howard Arkley, but really in the twenty first century it's been a fairly lackluster group. There's been a few exceptions, but ultimately this current fellow is just a political commentator who happens to have taken up a creative industry, and unfortunately our industry is heavily, heavily subsidized by the Australian taxpayer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look, I believe in funding for the arts because I think the arts is a fundamentally good thing for this country and we do have a great history of the arts in Australia. But too often now it seems that it's the sort of elite lefties using government money that the rest of us give them to then give money to other elite lefties to produce art that no one really has any interesting unless they're an elite lefty. It's the same as the ABC. It's ridiculous. Now here's an interesting proposition. Should taxpayers be footing the bill for weight loss drugs because the Labor government is reportedly calling for these drugs, you know, a zenpic and whatever. They're diabetic drugs originally, but they're now using them largely for weight loss to be added to the pharmaceutical benefit scheme to try and control obesity in Australia. I know they're expensive, basil, but surely these things don't actually treat the underlying issue. I mean, if you can lose weight fast, that's great, But if it's an issue of what you're eating or exercise or I mean a epic doesn't fix that.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what common sense would tell you, wouldn't it.
Speaker 7: Common sense would tell you that if a zen pic can help somebody who is struggling with hereditary issues of obesity, they're unable to do anything to shift that weight and it is really affecting their health, and this drug is available, then by all means it should be available and supplied to them.
Speaker 1: No arguments, they're But if it's.
Speaker 7: Somebody who just can't be bothered but rather sit on the couch and watch Sky News all night with a pizza, maybe a couple of.
Speaker 1: Bits, tell them not to do.
Speaker 7: A few ice creams afterwards, maybe some popcorn and then wash it down with arna't know whatever, donuts or something. Well, that person shouldn't be getting a zimpig. We want them to watch sky News, of course, of course, but we prefer that they brought a treadmill into the living room. God on the treadmill and turns you on. Then, Taylor, that's the way to watch it.
Speaker 2: I want to photo of you, Basil in your living room on the treadmill watching Sky News. Make sure you get it to us and we'll get it on here when we can.
Speaker 1: Then you can eat the donuts.
Speaker 2: If you do exactly, exactly exactly, you get the reward for the work. But Marcus, it's interesting it would seem as though the government would much prefer you to smoke in this country because of course, in the United Kingdom, the NHS hands out vapes for free because they say it's better than smokeoking. They want people to get off the smokes, so they'll hand out vapes for free. Here in Australia, we make it ridiculously difficult to get your hands on a legal vape. But when it comes to being fat, no, no, no, we'll give you drugs to fix that up. It just doesn't make sense.
Speaker 9: Well, Caleb, I want a reaction from Australia's fat people, whether they're comfortable being you know, the next kiddie pig for the grand sort of medical experiment that will be a zenpic subs of ours by the Australian tax payer. I mean, next we're going to have Albow doing calisthenics classes, you know, beamed into the workplaces of all Australians. I mean it's starting to feel a little bit like the taxpayer is the bearer of all these wonderful new solutions from sort.
Speaker 1: Of one thought bubble to the next.
Speaker 9: We shouldn't be funding this, we should be we should be doing exactly as Basil said, which is allowing those who want to sit at home and have a big pizza and some coke and watch Sky News to just enjoy.
Speaker 2: Their life and joy to k well. The vision of Albanisi doing the calistenics class is a bit like I think it was the twenty nineteen federal election and Bill Shorten took up running and there were all these you know, there's this vision of him running in front of the Opera house and the man boobs and jumping up and down and all this sort of stuff. You know what they should do, you would both remember the old life being it ads. They need to bring back that norm normally, bring that norm that'll fix the country up.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The Education Minister Jason Claire, I was talking earlier about this childcare business. He's announced new childcare reforms in the wake of this horrific case a man in Melbourne charged with seventy alleged child abuse offenses. So clear says he wants to standardize working with children checks across the country and cut funding from centers that don't follow the rules. But he was also asked, and this what I was talking about earlier, whether the sector should ban mails from working.
Speaker 10: This was his response, I don't think that's going to be the solution here. And the former Deputy Onbudsman brief Education ministers on Friday. That's where CCTV reforms coming from. That's where increasing penalties and more information for parents is coming from. We've got to bring all of these recommendations together. That's happening now.
Speaker 2: I'm not really sure what all of this is going to do, but I can't believe that we're even talking about the idea of banning men from working in childcare centers basal.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make sense.
Speaker 7: I mean that then suggests by extension, that every man is capable of these sorts of horrific crimes against our absolutely most vulnerable and that is our youngest Australians. We know that not to be the case. We know there are many Australian men working and making significant contributions in the early childhood education space and long should that continue because we all know, as well as the great women who do that work, the importance of having male role models in that space, also at very young ages for the key.
Speaker 1: And it's a ridiculous suggestion.
Speaker 7: And what's most offensive about the suggestion, as I say, is it somehow makes a decision about.
Speaker 1: All men in Australia and it is just wrong.
Speaker 2: Before we go jints, the Prime Minister has given Triple J the elbow treatment he's come up with his teen nominations for Triple J's Hottest one hundred of Australian Songs. The top of the list is am I ever going to see Your Face Again? By the Angels Here it is you. I think a lot of the country would be saying the words that often follow that that part of the song. And the next on the list was Flame Trees by Cold Chisel. Quickly both of you. Basil, what's your favorite Australian song?
Speaker 7: Are you going to be surprised by this? I am Australian. By the Seekers, this is hugely controver. I think it should be our national anthem. It's a better tune and the lyrics are stronger and better than our current national anthem. I really think it should be our national anthem.
Speaker 2: Look, if it's not God Save the King, I'd probably go with that too. Marcus will about yours?
Speaker 9: That's strong from Basil. Paul Kelly to Her Door. Kelly's an icon. It's a terrific song. It's an absolute banger.
Speaker 2: I gotta say it was a bit upset there was no slim Dusty on the list. This is one of my favorite slim Dusty tunes.
Speaker 1: My Goally influence and Meling Penless summary. Sunshine hands flow.
Speaker 2: When the rain tumbles down in July. We just don't get proper Australiana like that anymore. Marcus Basil, thank you for joining me as always. All right, coming up after the break the latest updates on Trump's big beautiful bill. Expert in the field Tim Lynch will run this through it all soon, but first a new poll is exposed in bare detail. Which age group has deserted the Coalition. I'll tell you next with Pauline Hanson. The Coalition's bad luck is far from over. We're talking about music before. Far from over. There's a good song by Frank Stallone, so thisster Stallone's brother anyway, but it is far from over. There's a new poll showing that younger voters are abandoning the Coalition on mass This survey found that just nineteen percent of voters between eighteen to thirty four support the party, compared to forty percent for Labor. The only age demographic that the Coalition beats Labor in is sixty five and older, which I suppose is not surprising, but it is to some degree concerning with me. Now is one nation leader Pauline Hanson. Pauline, it really frustrated me throughout the election campaign, and I'm a young man that there was no message really from the Coalition that would speak to something that young people would be interested in or need. The number one issue in this country is housing affordability and if the Coalition could get on top of that, and of course the continuation of conservatism. For people to believe in Conservatism, they need to have some ownership over something, and that means owning a home where you can get married and raise a family. I mean, these are the building blocks of Australian society. It is bred and but a youth policy, I don't know why the Coalition isn't getting on top of this stuff.
Speaker 5: You were a spot on with that, and I was about to say that with housing affordability, job security, which is another thing Labor has bought a lot of the young votes with the hex debt, so getting rid of that and also propping up their deposit on the house to actually get in the housing market, which I think is going to see a lot of the young ones fall over with that because they've still got to pay make the repayments to their debt. But the Liberal Party. It doesn't surprise me, Caleb. Where in twenty eighteen I put a policy forward about getting apprenticeships, going one hundred thousand apprenticeships, which finally I had to take the Coalish and kicking and screaming to introduce the policy on apprenticeships, which they finally did and one hundred thousand apprenticeships was created with that policy. They weren't interested in that. They don't have any idea about the young ones, and I'll teach nothing too. There was a young fellow who wanted to join the Liberal Party, so anyway, because he'd had a photo with me, they wouldn't have him part of the party.
Speaker 2: Because he had a photo with me. They're actually.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because he had a photo with me when he was fifteen, so they wouldn't take him on.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm proud.
Speaker 5: I'm proud to say that I've launched the Young One Nation Party this year and it's been fantastic to hear from them what their concerns are. You have to bring them on the journey with you have to involve them, you have to ask them what they want, how they see their future, and that's moving forward with the Young Ones. We connected a lot with the young ones through our cartoons. It's waking them up to it because they've been brainwashing the educational system for the last three decades thirty years, and it has infiltrated our system no critical thinking. But it's been bought, the vote's been bought. We need to educate the kids, explain about politics, which we don't do enough in the universities and or in an educational system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're quite right, and I mean the point you raised about the hex steat is true to them. Anecdotally, I've heard quite a number of people who voted for Labor just on that basis alone, because they thought, well, he's going to wipe some of my student dead off, so I'd be stupid from a selfish point of view, I would be stupid not to vote for that. So I can understand why they did. But there are things that I think could be a Solder's youth policy that you don't typically think of as youth policy. The one that really worries me is public debt. I mean, you know, this financial year will hit a trillion dollars in federal government debt, and who's going to have to pay that off? Young people? So why can't we turn things like that around and say, look, your parents and your grandparents are basically consigning you to a life of financial servitude to the government because you're the one who's going to pay off all this debt. We've got to turn this around so that you've still got a country to look after when you're older, Caleb.
Speaker 5: People, a lot of people, not even young ones, but the older generation, don't understand that it's the taxes that we pay, whether through the GST or any taxes that we pay buy an item or anything like that, the tax that we pay through our income tax that actually gives us the services, and it's the money that goes in the government for them to spend for our services and what we need to run the country. People don't see beyond that. They don't understand. They don't understand if the government runs out of money, they can't afford to pay for decent hospital, healthcare, age age homes, all the rest of it. People don't look that far. People have come so self centered these days. It's all about me, what is in it for me? And the whole fact is because they're doing it so tough, if they have to say, right, I've got to do the best for me. How do I survive?
Speaker 1: It's the country's.
Speaker 5: Changed so much since I was, you know, a girl growing up here and a young woman. And that's how I see the problem. Miss it until the government reigns in their spending and stops taxing the people. And this is another thing, our tax that we had for income splitting, so those young families, whereas the wife can stay home for the children. So whoever wants work, whether all the male wants to stay home for the children, I don't care. Income split so that will actually save the money. You know, split their income, so you're paying tax on the two on you know, two people share the income. So anyway, these are things that need to be changed.
Speaker 2: I mean in Albanezi thinks his legacy is going to be universal childcare. But I mean just so every time they put the subsidy up, the cost of childcare goes up. It's not over.
Speaker 5: I can't call it.
Speaker 2: It's not good policy. While we're talking about government spending. Jeff Chambers in the OSS he's done a follow up piece on his public service expose from yesterday. Today. He's revealed that there's been an explosion in federal bureaucrats under the Albernese government. Look at that graph there from twenty nineteen up to now. The department is set to hit a record two hundred and thirteen thousand staff in twenty twenty five twenty six. My favorite bit was the gender X, which was added as a gender category in twenty seventeen instead of just male or female. Number of people in the public service who say the X has gone from one hundred and six in twenty seventeen to nine hundred and seventy four now, so good on them. Have actually gone backwards in terms of indigenous employment as well. But what on earth are all these people doing, Paulin, Well.
Speaker 5: Over the past five years, since all the since this government's been in, they've introduced five thousand new regulations into our country. So they've increased the public service for service delivery, for compliance and everything that goes with it, marketing, the whole lot. So that's an increase of forty one thousand people they've put in for this alone, so you know, they're actually making our life worse. You're putting more public servants. That means more taxpayers. Moneys has to pay the wages, and they're on top of that, you've got all superannuation on top of it. Then all your benefits and everything.
Speaker 1: Goes on top of it.
Speaker 5: This is a drain on the taxpayers. Delists that money that's Albanisi has also increased. And i'll tell you why, because public servants will vote for labor because they've got a job for life and they're just going not to sack them. And when Dunton, when the Liberal Party backed away from the forty one thousand in Canberra, they were going to make go and work in their in their workplaces and they backed away from the policy. Big mistake that they made. They should have followed through on that. You can't have someone traveling around the country in a caravan claiming that they're working from home, which isn't the case, and we're paying the moneys for that.
Speaker 1: So the whole it's a whole stupid thing.
Speaker 5: But who I feel sorry for out there is the white Anglo Saxon male. If you're white in this country, you're flat out getting a job with the public service because they've put on you know, all these people thirty eight thousand where either cultural languens sorry I can't say it, from different language background. And then you have aboriginals, then you have y linguistic thank you, and then you have the aboriginals, then you have all the cultural diverse people, and then you have one hundred and seventeen thousand women. So where's the men and that's the whole problem. And then you have all the gender x these people, you know, people with disabilities. If you're white male in this country, good luck to you, mate, because you're flat out going to get a job.
Speaker 1: A look at the door.
Speaker 2: They need where is going. I needed to find jobs. They need to find jobs, paul In for all these people that they imported into the country over the last few years. Mardy, Pauline Hanson, thank you for joining me. Great to see you as always coming up. Sorry after the break. Liverpool is in mourning after their star footballer Diogo Jota is killed in a car crash with his brother ten days after he was married. Tom Slater will have more on that a little later, and more on the big beautiful Bill the Voter is going on at the moment. If there's any updates, we'll let you know. But an expert in UIs politics, Professor Tim Lynch, will join me to discuss all of that shortly don't go away. Donald Trump's number one bit of legislation, the Big Beautiful Bill, is still being debated in the House now. Of course, there's been some pushback from Republicans, and it's been a real fear that several would rebel against the vote, but against it because it was his massive tax and spending build this thing, because they're concerned that it raises the debt ceiling too much and that it basically does nothing to alleviate the financial problems that America is facing. So certainly not over yet, and the struggle to get here I think highlights the fractures between the MAGA crew and other parts of the Republican Party. So with me now as an expert in all of this, Melbourne University professor of American politics, Tim Lynch Tim these cracks only going to get worse. And in the grand scheme of things, does it matter.
Speaker 11: Good evening caliber, Yes, they will get worse. And I don't say that because I'm some sort of profit it's because that all I think almost we have exception since the Second World War, every second term presidency, and Trump, though he had a gap in the middle, still I think meets the demands of this particular pattern. All end in failure, They end in in scandal, and had Watergate, Reagan had Iran Contra, George W. Bush had the global financial crisis, and of course Barack Obama. His second term was consumed with Trump's winning run for the presidency, So we shouldn't expect much of a second term, even though Trump is a remarkable political actor, and he's not.
Speaker 1: A successive second termer.
Speaker 11: And I think added to that historical pattern, calab It's just the fact that as we move towards Trump's exit, and I am confident that exit will come, certainly if it is dictated by the Constitution, which I'm confident it hope it will be, rather than by an assassin's bullet or some other nefarious plot, will end on January the twentieth, twenty twenty nine. That means his power will never be start to abb Now, I just wonder whether this big beautiful bill might be pete Trump, that this is the moment when he's at his maximum influence and power only several months in. There's still energy, there's drive, there's ambition. But if he can't get this through, certainly, if he can't get it through, but if he can't get it through cleanly. I think the fractures in the MAGA movement and the wider Republican conservative movement will start to start to appear.
Speaker 2: Because the man that got it through the Senate is the Vice President JD. Vance, and he has often talked about as the successor to Donald Trump, that he would end up being the Republican nominee at the next presidential election. So if these cracks open up, what are the chances that you could end up with a JD. Vance in the mold of Donald Trump running for election when this term ends, or does the sort of the establishment of the Republican part he to put it that way, try to risk back control from the mega crew.
Speaker 11: Ah, that's a great question. I think the establishment is the Mega movement. The establishment at the moment while he's president is Donald Trump, and what he's shown in his business career and in his presidential time is that he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Like the ideas of successors.
Speaker 11: I mean, you think how he's relegated his children between the first administration and the second. I don't think he holds a very powerful candle for JD.
Speaker 1: Vans.
Speaker 11: I think he's flattered that he's seen as the guy that brought him through, but I think he'd rather like to see a battle for his legacy because he knows whoever comes after him is going to be a very inferior version of Trump himself. So Marco Rubio is the other guy to watch. I think that whole cabinet is one of the most diverse in terms of gender and race in American history. But it's also it's like a bag of snake's caliph and they are all starting to forge alliances with each other to oppose one another. This will become more apparent as we move towards the mid terms and after he's really in lane duck territory there because he can't run again and the successor won't be anoint anointed and it's unlikely to be, and you'll get a much more fractious Republican Party. And we're seeing the intimations of that this evening with the difficulty of passing his big beautiful bill.
Speaker 2: We've only got a minute team. But of course, the other place where there's some fracturing in the party is Trump's foreign policy. I don't think you can argue with the results, though, I mean it worked in a round. Now he says he's trying to get the ceasefire going in Gaza. What do you think the likelihood is of that ceasefire holding very quickly?
Speaker 1: Well, who knows.
Speaker 11: What I think I'd say calib is that Trump has brought an ingredient that's been lacking since the Uranian Revolution of nineteen seventy nine. It's that idea that he's got a trigger finger, that he's prepared to take very strong military action, but that he's not interested in regime change. And partly this is his instinct, well it's what he's grown up thinking, but it's also a way of trying to balance two impulses within the MAGA movement or within broader Republican politics. And one is that you use American power, hard power abroad to realize American interests. You invade and conquer and do regime change of regime change.
Speaker 1: And the more rand.
Speaker 11: Pall guy that opposed the bill in the Senate, who says, no America should be doing less for the world. Trump so far, I think we should give him some credit for being able to balance these two things and seemingly to have set back the Uranian nuclear program. We don't know how long, but also to effect a ceasefire. Barack Obama, who spoke the language of peace, never got close to positive effect that Trump has.
Speaker 2: If you've ever seen anyone who probably deserves a peace price Jnald tru Well Obama, he certainly will. We've got to go unfortunately, Tim, but it's been great having you. Thank you for joining me. Don't go anywhere yet. The shocking death of Liverpool star Diogo Jota. Tom Slater will have the latest details next.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: British Prime Minister Sakia Stamer has marked his first year in power, not with a party Downing Street confirmed, but with a low key cabinet meeting. And I can't understand why there hasn't been much for the Labor PM to write home about, apart from bad news spiked online and at a Tom Slater is with me now, Tom, tell me how you described him in your latest piece. It certainly wasn't in glowing terms.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 12: I mean this is a prime minister who believes in nothing and has achieved nothing. I think he's shown over the course of this year, which really feels like ten. It's been that painful that you know, running the proverbial welkstore will probably be beyond his ken. It really has gone tremendously badly, tremendously quickly, and I think it's just a complete repudiation of all the people who said when this government came in replacing the Tory, supposedly that kind of Brexity populist blip was over, we were going back to politics as usual.
Speaker 1: Well, it turns out politics.
Speaker 12: As usual is useless, and he's breaking records for unpopularity at this point.
Speaker 1: He really could go down in history.
Speaker 12: I don't think it's hyperbole to say it as one of the most disastrous elected prime ministers we've ever had, just because of how quickly it has unraveled.
Speaker 2: It's been quite extraordinary. I mean, and the blokes had more flops than flip flops than Bondai Beach in the immigration stuff. You know, he turns around and he's basically just copying reform. He sees what he is coming to eat him and he goes, ah, well, I must be there. But the problem with pretending to be things you add. And it's the same when you work in media like we do. I mean, the viewers can sniff out at ten paces if you're not sincere, and voters can tell when a poly's not being sincere too.
Speaker 12: No, absolutely, and that was one of the most humiliating U turns recent He gave this big set piece speech on immigration where he said, if we continue down this road of high immigration, low integration, we're going to become an island of strangers. All the usual suspects got very upset by this. There was a lot of ostentatious offense taking, and in recent interviews he said that he regrets it that he didn't read the speech beforehand through his speech writers under the bus. And I think what we've seen with Kirs Staliner's this is a man whose only consistent political view has been that he would quite like to be prime minister. Now he's like the dog that caught the car. He doesn't know what to do with it. And I think that's why we're seeing it all just become such a mess so quickly.
Speaker 2: Now. The Chancellor of rachel reeves she has been emotional in the common stammers was repeatedly asked whether he would support her. She's visibly tearing up. What's going on.
Speaker 12: I mean, the backstory here is a little bit confusing. There's a lot of speculation in the press that this might have come after an argument with the Speaker of the House of Commons, perhaps an argument with the Deputy leader of the Labor Party, Angela Rainers. There's also some reference to some kind of un known personal issue that she's going through. But at the same time, I don't think it's unfair or callous. Of course, we all have our human moments, but this is another sign that they're just not up to it. They are cracking under the pressure. And it's whilst on the one hand, your heart goes out to it to a certain extent. This is why you expect a high caliber of resilience from your politicians, because when the going gets tough, they do have to face it down. Both her and Stal's even capable of doing that.
Speaker 2: We've been on a musical thing to don't You Billy Ocean, When the going gets tough, the tough kid going. Some breaking news tonight star Liverpool forward Diego Joto has reportedly died in a horror car crash along with his brother in Spain. Twenty eight years old. He only got married last week.
Speaker 12: Tom It's absolutely tragic, awful news coming out of Spain. I mean, Diego Jotta, he was riding high. I mean he had not only just got married to his childhood sweetheart a couple of weeks ago, you know, he just won the Premier League with Liverpool. It just shows what how cruel, fake and be sometimes. And your heart just goes out to his wife and his three young kids who are now going to have to pick up the pieces after this horrendous stragedy.
Speaker 2: Indeed just terrible. And before we go, I can age you go without asking about a course the Clesterbury business this week. I'm sure it's been big over there as it has been in the rest of the world, but there are calls for the BBC Boss team Davey to stick down after we lit the whole thing go to ear live streamed in full. Should he go?
Speaker 12: I think his position is fast becoming untenable. He was at Glastonbury when those blood curdling debating chants were sounding out. He tried to intervene, but they didn't pull the live feed. They pulled it down from Eyeplayer, but by that point the damage had already been done. This was being beamed into millions of people's homes and it's not the first time this is something like this has happened. The BBC has had one scandal after another. It seems to be institutionally blind, at the very least towards anti Semitism and the kind of hatred we've seen expressed. I think my only kind of concern or caveat is that this is clearly not necessarily from Tim Day. There's a broader problem. Is that kind of Israeli phobia, anti israel prejudice is the water that people at the BBC swim in, and that's a big problem to try and tackle.
Speaker 2: Tom. Thank you for joining me tonight, now, thank you for joining me all week as well. It's been great to fill in for Sharry. She'll be back with you next week. I'm off for a week off myself too, but I think I might go via the man cave and pick up that bottle of rum Paul Murray has sitting over.
Speaker 1: There a cheer.
Speaker 2: Watch out, Paul, Is it still there? Here? He is